PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on an oriental race: Harionago

Jarrick
2010-05-13, 10:52 PM
DnD 3.5

Hari-onago (http://obakemono.com/obake/harionago/)

Description

Of the spirits who dwelt among humans before the mingling, Harionago are the most attractive in their natural state. Their one spirit-based trait being a mass of long silky black hair that moves with fiendish dexterity at the Harionago’s command, concealing wicked barbs it uses to attack and strangle its foes. Harionago trace their lineage to the goddess Sayuri, a maiden who can only be spotted when the wind is mild and the weather is frosty. Legends tell that she strangled unfaithful men with her long hair, coal-black, with no light.
Personality: Harionago are a conceited sort, caring a great deal for their appearance. They anger quickly, and often use thinly veiled compliments as insults. Harionago make fast friends with those who respect their obviously superior nature, but have little patience for insolence. Those who find themselves on a harionago’s good side know it to be a creature of impeccable manners and refinement. Those who wrong the harionago are lucky to be found.
Physical Description: Harionago resemble attractive humans. They are naturally pale in an aesthetically pleasing way. They have long black hair 5 to 6 feet in length. Harionago favor high-end clothing and, even when adventuring, wear the best clothes they can afford.
Relations: Harionago get along best with other spirits, especially those with good taste. The namahage in particular bash heads with the harionago, viewing their attention to their looks as a waste of time. Terrible legends surround these creatures, thus humans are wary and even fearful of harionago and give them a wide berth.
Alignment: Harionago tend toward law, following etiquette and proper manners as if by instinct. They are slightly more likely to favor evil over good, seeing themselves as above helping the lesser races.
Lands: Harionago are uncommon, living in human lands in the south, especially large cities where they can often be found wandering the streets by night.
Religion: Harionago do not worship the spirits that humans venerate—they consider themselves the spirits’ equals. Harionago may practice the disciplines of a philosophical school, sharing a spiritual orientation with certain monks, but seldom deign to do so. Harionago priests command the power of the spirits not through veneration, like human priests, but through partnership.
Language: Harionago speak Common and the Spirit tongue in lilting, smooth voices.
Names: Harionago follow human naming traditions in their area.
Adventurers: Harionago adventure to gain wealth and power, but most of all fame. While they favor spellcasting classes, they sometimes take the time to learn to use their hair as a formidable weapon, multicasting into the Hair Witch prestige class (coming much much later).

Harionago Racial Traits:

Medium Outsider (Native) Though harionago are outsiders, they gain no benefits of that type beyond their normal racial traits.

+2Cha, -2 Con. Harionago are physically frail and so rely on their wiles to lure in their targets and strike unexpectedly. They are always quite attractive.

Low Light Vision

+4 racial bonus on grapple checks. A Harionago uses its hair to aid it in subduing its opponents.

+2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks. Harionago are beguiling and convincing by nature, but can be very frightening when angered.

+4 Racial bonus on Climb, Sleight of Hand, and Swim checks. A Harionago uses its prehensile hair to aid it while climbing by grasping like hands. Likewise while moving through water, the hair moves like the tail of a snake, propelling the Harionago through the water. They have been known to pick pockets with their hair.

Barbed Hair: A Harionago has a primary natural attack in the form of a Hair attack that deal 1d4 points of piercing damage. When using its hair to make disarm attempts, the harionago gains a +4 bonus on the opposed attack roll. The hair may also be used to make a trip attempt against the opponent. A Harionago using its hair to trip an opponent suffers the normal consequences for a failed trip attempt and so may be tripped in return.
A Harionago's hair is prehensile, but unable to wield weapons or use somatic components for spells. A harionago can, however, use it to hold up to four objects no larger than could be held in one hand by the harionago. These objects may be transferred to the harionago's hands or back again as a free action. The harionago can draw up to four items from storage with its hair as a single move action.
A Harionago's hair may be used defensively as well, conferring a +1 shield bonus to armor class if the harionago has at least one hair slot open and hasnt attacked with its hair that round. This bonus improves to +2 if it holds nothing at all with its hair. The Harionago must be aware of (Not flat-footed) and able to see its opponent to gain this bonus.
A Harionago’s hair is around 5 to 6 feet in length and if cut off or sundered, grows back over a period of 8 hours. The hair has a Hardness of 1 for every point of constitution modifier of the harionago (Minimum 1), and Hit points equal to 1/2 the harionago's max hit point total. Damaging the hair does no damage to the harionago itself.

Languages: Harionago speak common and the spirit tongue, and may choose any language (Excluding secret languages) as bonus languages.

Favored Class: Beguiler

Feats:

ENDLESS HAIR [RACIAL]
Your hair is exceptionally long, even for a harionago, and regrows faster than normal.
Prerequisite: Harionago, Base attack bonus +1
Benefit: Your hair attack has 10ft reach. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. When sundered, your hair regrows over the course of a single hour.
Special: A Harionago fighter or kensai may select this feat as a bonus feat.

HAIR GRAPPLE [RACIAL]
You are expert in grabbing foes with your prehensile hair.
Prerequisites: Harionago, Dex 13.
Benefit: When using your hair to make the attempt, you do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you make a touch attack to start a grapple.
Normal: Without this feat, you provoke an attack of opportunity when you make a touch attack to start a grapple.
Special: A Harionago fighter or kensai may select this feat as a bonus feat. This feat counts as the improved grapple feat for the sake of meeting prerequisites for feats, prestige classes, etc.

-----------------

This is the first of several new races I've created for my Dai Nippon campaign setting that I will be posting (Or in this case editing and reviving) over the next week or so.

It bears mentioning that there is a subset of spells in this setting that effect only spirits in a similar vein to those that effect only humanoids (Enlarge/reduce person, Hold person, charm person, etc) so as far as power is concerned, spirit is about equal with humanoid in this setting.

Edit: Also, is there a way to rename this thread's title, since Its no longer a "Help me" thread?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-13, 11:29 PM
I think the Harionago is better as a monster.

Jarrick
2010-05-13, 11:36 PM
Traditionally, yes. But I'm making this for a campaign setting I've been working on based heavily on ancient japanese folklore wherein spirits are very very common, living amonst humans, often in disguise but sometimes openly. This is one of about 5 races I'm making based on yokai to drive the flavor of the setting home. Besides, my friends have all mentioned on separate occaisions how cool it would be to play something like this.

Tibbaerrohwen
2010-05-13, 11:40 PM
I agree with Josha. I would make it a monster; it won't stop players from playing it, but it seems more characteristic. Also, from what I've read, it should be considered an undead or spirit sub-type. In this case, you'll want to add a bonus against Turn/Rebuke abilities.
It might also not be a bad idea to give it a LA as a monstrous race and add Charm Person as a spell-like ability. It seems consistent with the source information you've given us.

Jarrick
2010-05-13, 11:56 PM
Believe me, with the other races I have slated for this setting, it will fit right in. Tengu (Original race; Daitengu feat optional), Hengeyokai (Updated from oriental adventures; Kitsune, Tanuki, Bakeneko, and a new one, Jorogumo), Spirit Folk (Also modified and options added from Oriental Adv.) Noppera-bo(Faceless Changelings, spirit subtype), Shapeshifting Oni (can assume human form; Modified from my Kilzecru race with inspiration from Higurashi no naku koro ni) and I'm considering a few other things as well. From the player's handbook, humans and elves are the only ones to survive, and elves have the spirit subtype. They're all pretty much finished in my head and will soon be typed down (Tengu already is), but for now, I'm working on this and have hit a roadblock.

Jane_Smith
2010-05-14, 12:00 AM
-sigh- Isnt dnd just based on greek or whatever mythology? Wouldnt the orientals think half-orcs/dwarves need to be a monster race? Seriously.

The guy wants to make it a player race - so let him. Don't try to discourage that. Not enough 0-1 la races out their to be honest.

Anyway, i like the idea. Reminds me of some kinda medusa-cousin. I think the racials are fine as-is. As for other, possible ideas? Make a racial equipment item - Hair Blades. Counts as one of the things your hair can carry, and acts as a 1d4 + str bonus natural attack? So you could have 4 in your hair. Little powerful at low levels, and especially when you get improved trip/etc... But still, its a valid thought nu?

Additional Idea - Maybe a +1 deflection/shield bonus to armor class if it doesnt move more then 5 feet in a round or as a swift action? Use its hair to obscure themselves like a concealment thing. Maybe the bonus is based on constitution (healthier you are, more hair you got/stronger it is?) (Gnomish War Cloak of HAIR! comes to mind.)

Jarrick
2010-05-14, 12:09 AM
-sigh- Isnt dnd just based on greek or whatever mythology? Wouldnt the orientals think half-orcs/dwarves need to be a monster race? Seriously.

The guy wants to make it a player race - so let him. Don't try to discourage that. Not enough 0-1 la races out their to be honest.

Anyway, i like the idea. Reminds me of some kinda medusa-cousin. I think the racials are fine as-is. As for other, possible ideas? Make a racial equipment item - Hair Blades. Counts as one of the things your hair can carry, and acts as a 1d4 + str bonus natural attack? So you could have 4 in your hair. Little powerful at low levels, and especially when you get improved trip/etc... But still, its a valid thought nu?

This is good. I don't think I'd make them separate attacks, but they could take up a slot and increase the damage of the existing hair attack to like 1d6, 1d8, maybe change the damage type to include slashing. That should even things out and has a precedent in the warforged's battlefist. They could be disguised as combs or hairpins! That's cool, Good idea. Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

You don't think the racials are a little lacking? Hm. It just seems like a short list to me. :smallconfused:

Edit:

Additional Idea - Maybe a +1 deflection/shield bonus to armor class if it doesnt move more then 5 feet in a round or as a swift action? Use its hair to obscure themselves like a concealment thing. Maybe the bonus is based on constitution (healthier you are, more hair you got/stronger it is?) (Gnomish War Cloak of HAIR! comes to mind.)

This is interesting too. Sounds like a racial feat, but I'm sorely tempted to make it part of their base statistics.

Jarrick
2010-05-14, 12:42 AM
Updated. Hair now more useful and makes up for lack of other things I think. Made the bonus to AC a shield bonus because shields are almost completely non-existing in this setting and it fits mechanically. After first level it isn't a big deal since you can't magify the shield bonus granted by the hair. Critique and suggestions still welcome.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-14, 04:14 AM
My one comment, aside from "I like it, what exacly are Spirit traits?" is that Constrict is ridiculously powerful when it gets going so i would say that it should be a 9-12th level thing, max.

Jarrick
2010-05-14, 06:38 AM
My one comment, aside from "I like it, what exacly are Spirit traits?" is that Constrict is ridiculously powerful when it gets going so i would say that it should be a 9-12th level thing, max.

Duly noted.

Spirit subtype just means that they are affected by spells and effects that specifically target spirits, like a spirit shaman's "Chastise Spirits" ability.

Jarrick
2010-09-20, 08:01 PM
I'm revivng this homebrew race that has had recent additions and changes made, citing this line of the forum rules:

"The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval."

Comments and Critique are welcome, as always. :smallbiggrin:

LOTRfan
2010-09-20, 08:54 PM
I like the added fluff. Should this get the Spirit subtype as well (or is that incompatible with native outsiders? I'm not exactly familiar with the spirit subtype rules...)?

Over all, I really like this!

Fable Wright
2010-09-20, 09:46 PM
I think that it may be a little bit powerful, if optimized. For example, make the character a dual-weapon wielder in decent armor and they get a +2 shield bonus to AC, an extra attack/round, and can make that weapon a reach weapon. You might want to add a clause stating that if the harionago doesn't use her hair to attack, she gets a +1 shield bonus to AC. Possibly increase this to two if they take a full defense action. I would also recommend reducing to bonus to climb, swim, etc.; this is an aesthetic race; they wouldn't normally bother with physical activities, and thus their hair wouldn't be able to help them there. And they just give too many bonuses to the rare fighters in the race.

However, I do like the concept. You tried to make it good for the non-optimized characters, but the fact is, this allows for a character to almost completely optimize a fighter off of this build.

Jarrick
2010-09-20, 09:49 PM
I like the added fluff. Should this get the Spirit subtype as well (or is that incompatible with native outsiders? I'm not exactly familiar with the spirit subtype rules...)?

Over all, I really like this!

Oops, should have mentioned that. In my setting (And I think as a default for spirity things :smallconfused:) all outsiders are considered "spirits". the "Native" comes from where I like to differentiate between terrestrial spirits, and those from takamagahara (Heaven), The spirit realm (Functions kind of as a combination astral [is transitive between planes], etherial [coterminous with material], and Shadow [mimics, but not exactly, the material] planes), and Yomi (The Underworld).

Glad you like it! :smallbiggrin:

Jarrick
2010-09-20, 10:01 PM
I think that it may be a little bit powerful, if optimized. For example, make the character a dual-weapon wielder in decent armor and they get a +2 shield bonus to AC, an extra attack/round, and can make that weapon a reach weapon. You might want to add a clause stating that if the harionago doesn't use her hair to attack, she gets a +1 shield bonus to AC. Possibly increase this to two if they take a full defense action. I would also recommend reducing to bonus to climb, swim, etc.; this is an aesthetic race; they wouldn't normally bother with physical activities, and thus their hair wouldn't be able to help them there. And they just give too many bonuses to the rare fighters in the race.

However, I do like the concept. You tried to make it good for the non-optimized characters, but the fact is, this allows for a character to almost completely optimize a fighter off of this build.

One of my goals in this campaign setting is to emphasize the fighters a little more since they dont get much love with all the spellcasters out there. I've combined the effects of the two-weapon-fighting feat with the two-weapon-defense feat for example and made the monk's "Flurry of blows" a feat usable with any weapon (one extra attack per round, all attacks at -2). Nothing radical, just something to make them a little more appealing.

Monks in this setting have the high base attack bonus and an ability called Reiki which is functionally similar to "Lay on Hands". Sohei likewise have high BaB. There are a few other more subtle things I've done too, like giving fighters more skill points and alternate features, but these are posts for another time. this setting is still a playtest-as-its-made work in progress.

That said, I was thinking the same thing about the shield bonus, but the image of a harionago climbing up a castle wall with its hair is too cool to take out. While they are indeed aesthetic, they are also vicious and feared.

Thanks for the comments. :smallbiggrin: