PDA

View Full Version : The Blackthorn Dryad! (3.5)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-13, 11:45 PM
Blackthorn Dryad CR 6
Always Chaotic Evil Medium Fey
Init +4

AC 19 FF 15 Touch 14
(+4 Dex, +5 natural)
HD 6
HP 21 (6d6+0)
Fort +4 Ref +9 Will +7

Speed 6 squares (30 ft)
Base Atk +2 Grp +6
Special Attack - Thorns: 1d6+0, Smite Good.
Attack Claws +6 2d4+0
Full Attack Claws +6 2d4+0
Full Attack masterwork longbow +6 1d8+0

Space 1 square (5 ft) Reach 1 square (5 ft)
Abilities: Str 11(+0) Dex 19(+4) Con 11(+0) Int 14(+2) Wis 14(+2) Cha 18(+4)
Total Feats 3
Feats Great Fortitude, Weapon Finesse
Skill Points 36
Skills Escape Artist +7, Handle Animal +7, Hide +7, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Listen +5, Move Silently +7, Ride +7, Spot +5, Survival +5, Use Rope +7
Gear Mwk. Longbow
Total Cost of Gear 340gp
Entangle(Sp) Reflex save DC 13(+1 Spell Level, +2 Wis)
At will-entangle. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Speak With Plants(Sp): At will-speak with plants. Caster level 6th.
Tree Shape(Sp) At will-tree shape. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Charm Person(Sp) Will save DC 13(+1 Spell Level, +2 Wis)
3/day- charm person. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Deep Slumber(Sp) Will save DC 15(+3 Spell Level, +2 Wis)
3/day- deep slumber. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Tree Stride(Sp) 3/day- tree stride. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Suggestion(Sp) Will save DC 15(+3 Spell Level, +2 Wis)
1/day-suggestion. Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
Damage reduction(Ex) 5 / magic or fire
tree dependent(Ex)
wild empathy(Ex)
Cold Resistance(Ex) 5
Low-Light Vision(Ex) Low-Light Vision.
Spell Resistance(Ex) 9
Smite good(Su) 1/day a Blackthorn Dryad can smite a good foe and add additional 4(1/HD) damage to the attack. If the smite is used against a foe that is not good it adds no additional damage but the smite is still used for the day.
Thorns(Ex) 1d6+0 - A Blackthorn Dryad's body is covered with sharp wooden thorns. Any creature attacking a Blackthorn Dryad unarmed, with a handheld weapon or with natural attacks takes damage from the creature's sharp thorns. A creature that grapples with a thorny creature take the thorns damage each round. The amount of damage is based on the Blackthorn Dryad's size and its strength modifier is always applied as well.

Treasure Standard
Environment Temperate and cold forests.
Organization Solitary, Group (2-4) or coven (5-7).
Advancement By character class
Level Adjustment +6

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-14, 04:02 AM
Plants have d8 HD which would put this thing's hp at 27, unless you intended this to be a Fey, in which case you've written the wrong type at the top.

The thorns thing is unreasonably strong: it would have to be a set of foot long spikes to get someone wielding a melee weapon so such things are usually best left for those on fire. I'd say "unarmed, natural or light weapons" at most. The damage is also very high for its CR, which, incidentally seems really high for a fey, simply because this little lady could cop it to a pair of Scorching Ray spells.

Kensen
2010-05-14, 05:10 AM
A few things in no particular order:

* Use parentheses for damage, it's easier to read it.
* I think a damage bonus of +0 can be just left out.
* There's no such thing as DR / fire. It's called fire resistance.
* I think it would make more sense for the creature to be of the fey type, just like the regular dryad, but plant is ok of course.
* Wild empathy should probably have a bonus (based on HD and Cha).

I hope that helps.

Eldan
2010-05-14, 07:52 AM
Actually, I think what he means is that it's DR that is ignored by fire weapon.

However, fire always ignores damage reduction, as it is not physical damage. In fact, DR always only applies to bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage. Therefore, I'd suggest making it DR/magic.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-14, 09:38 AM
I fixed some of the stuff.

Debihuman
2010-05-14, 10:02 AM
Here is a link to the online SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. I think it has the best format.

BAB is +3, Grapple is also +3. You are missing a feat.
Attack: Claw +7 melee (2d4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (2d4) or masterwork longbow +7 ranged (1d8)

This creature probably shouldn't have better damage than a dragon's claws (a Medium sized dragon's claws do 1d6 points of damage). I recommend changing damage to 1d6 for balance.

Are the thorns really effective against metal armor?

Debby

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-14, 10:12 AM
Here is a link to the online SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. I think it has the best format.

I think my format is better, first there is the basic stuff, than defense, than offense, than other stuff.

Debihuman
2010-05-14, 10:15 AM
Your format is missing: Environment, Treasure, Organization, Level Adjustment.

Format aside (it's a personal preference after all, it's just that you duplicate some things and leave off others), I noticed a few more things.

You still are missing a feat and have the wrong BAB/Grapple and attacks. It has 6 HD not 4 like the standard dryad so you have to account for that.

The longbow is missing from gear.

Fey creatures have low-light vision in their traits not darkvision.

Smite Good is missing from Special Attacks.

Fluff question: Is the blackthorn dryad dependent on an Oak like a standard dryad or would it be better to have her dependent on tree that has thorns like the honey locust?

Debby

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-05-14, 08:52 PM
Your format is missing: Environment, Treasure, Organization, Level Adjustment.

Format aside (it's a personal preference after all, it's just that you duplicate some things and leave off others), I noticed a few more things.

You still are missing a feat and have the wrong BAB/Grapple and attacks. It has 6 HD not 4 like the standard dryad so you have to account for that.

The longbow is missing from gear.

Fey creatures have low-light vision in their traits not darkvision.

Smite Good is missing from Special Attacks.

Fluff question: Is the blackthorn dryad dependent on an Oak like a standard dryad or would it be better to have her dependent on tree that has thorns like the honey locust?

Debby

Fixed That.

Debihuman
2010-05-14, 10:06 PM
Umm, it still only has 2 feats and with 6 HD it should have 3. Otherwise, it looks pretty complete.

Debby