PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Powers

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-14, 01:15 AM
This is part of Lord Gareth's paradigm project, found here: HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138705)

Details on abilities and their formats can be found there: THERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8484695#post8484695) (currently undergoing some changes, though, so read the below thread before posting an ability)

The idea of this thread is to come up with enough abilities so that the system is actually playable.

Copyable format:

Ability Name
Paradigms and Type
Level:
Cost:
Preparation:
Attack:
Trigger:
Activation
Effect:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-05-14, 10:45 AM
Alright. I'm back (summer giving me free time), and here are some thoughts.

First, kudos to you for taking some initiative to revive this!

Secondly, I think you're on the right track with a lot of things. For powers, however...those that are activated should cost something. The system I was envisioned used Conviction Points on a refresh mechanic to fuel powers, and I still think it's a strong idea (per encounter abilities get funky with continued encounters...), although the name might need a change.

So give Level to determine the cost to learn it (and probably the minimum level required to learn it, if we're still using levels). Change Cost to reflect the cost to use it (in Belief, Conviction, or whatever name works for us).

Also, base abilities like Rage shouldn't be so focused on melee combat...you can get into many different types of Rage.

Transcendence
Intrinsic (any) and Discipline (any) --- Transformation (Mental)
You fill yourself with the power of your belief, driving yourself on towards impossible strength.
Level: Level 1
Cost: 2 Resolve
Preparation: None
Attack: None
Trigger:
Activation: 1 Swift Action
Effect: You gain a +2 Confidence bonus to all ability scores. Then, select any two ability scores and gain an additional +2 stacking Confidence bonus to those scores. These effects last for 5 rounds.

Transcendence (Rage)
Intrinsic (any, -discipline) --- Transformation (Emotional, Mental)
Your transcendence brings with it a terrible Rage.
Cost: 2 Resolve
Trigger: You use the Transcendence power.
Activation: 1 Free Action
Effect: While transcended, you take a -2 penalty to your Armor Class, but you regain an additional 1 point of Intrinsic Resolve each round. Additionally, you deal +1d6 damage with all attacks, and the save DCs for powers you use increases by +1. Finally, the duration of your transcendence increases to a number of rounds equal to 5 + you Strength modifier, Constitution modifier, or Charisma modifier, whichever is more. These effects last for the duration of your transcendence.

Basically, Transcendence is a base level power, that, while Transcended, different characters get different things out of.

PirateMonk
2010-05-14, 12:08 PM
Did we ever decide that we want to use the normal ability scores?

Lord_Gareth
2010-05-14, 05:31 PM
Did we ever decide that we want to use the normal ability scores?

Good question. There's a lot of...well, confusion on the current stats. Do we want to remain with six, or go to nine? I kinda like a nine-stat system - y'know, str/dex/stam/int/wits/resolve/charisma (gosh-darned charm)/manipulation (lying, cheating, bribes, threats, et cetera)/appearence (duh).

But I think this probably belongs on the main thread.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 02:45 AM
But I think this probably belongs on the main thread.

I agree.

@Djinn_In_Tonic: three things, a) the reason I made it cost instead of level was so that you could really mix and match your abilities. Also, you don't say how much 'level 1' or 'level 2'. If you mean 10/3 and 20/3, that sounds O.K, and you splitting up rage into two abilities means it can be gained at 1st level. However, this makes it harder to decrease the cost if the ability has penalties. b) I'm not sure I know what resolve is. Please enlighten me. c) I think you're forgetting my idea that one can gain abilities from one subparadigm step away. If you don't like this, just say.

If you're going to rehaul my system, please do it in detail, with complete descriptions. Hope that doesn't come across as harsh, but I don't really understand, you need to tell me everything.

However, even if we're not quite sure how they work yet, every comment on this thread should come with some powers:

Soul Drain
Bargain(Metaphysic or Immortal), Metaphysic(Bargain), Immortal(Bargain), Spell(diabolical)
Level: 1
Cost: 2 damage to self
Preparation: Each morning you must meditate for 5 minutes to establish a link with the diabolic powers that give you this ability.
Attack: DC 11 + int bonus will save
Activation: Standard Action
Effect: Your blood opens a soul gate from hell in the target's space, calling their soul through to be devoured by fiends. The subject takes 1d10 Charisma damage. If a creature is reduced to 0 Charisma with this ability they die.

Elemental Rage
Intrinsic (Natural or Metaphysical), Transformation (Supernatural)
Cost: None
Effect: While transcended and raging you may call upon pure elemental power. Your extra damage increases to 2d4 can be in the form of fire, cold, electricity, acid or sonic damage (chosen when you start to rage). You gain resistance 5 to that type of damage. The rage now lasts up to 7 rounds plus your chosen modifier.

Bind Familiar
Metaphysical(Bargain or Immortal), Immortal(Bargain or Metaphysical), Bargain(specific), Spell(diabolical)
Level: Level 2 + level of fiend
Cost: Always active.
Preparation: You must go through a binding ritual to gain your familiar. This requires 2 hours, a summoning circle, 5 bells (Iron for demons and silver for devils) and a collar (of the same metal as the bells)
Effect: You may bind a fiend into your service as a familiar. Your choice of fiend influences the cost of this ability, as above. The fiend gains the natural attacks, size, speed, languages and physical ability scores of either a cat, bat, raven, snake, toad, owl, rat, or weasel. If it had a bite or claw attack it retains those natural attacks. It also retains it's own HP, saves, mental abilities, supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities, and any extraordinary abilities that relate to it's bite or claw attacks. It loses any shape-changing abilities. It must follow your orders, and you gain an empathetic link with it, allowing you to sense it's emotions. It always wears the collar you bound it with, and this collar can not be taken off until the familiar is dead. If your familiar dies you may bind a new one through the ritual mentioned above.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 07:32 AM
Runic Abilities: All runic abilities have the Spell(runic) type. Most runic abilities are metaphysical. Most runic abilities are actually a collection of different runes, and all runic abilities take at least 1 full round to scribe. They can be disabled by an adjacent creature if it uses a swift action and succeeds a Knowledge(metaphysics) check with a DC equal to 15 + the level of the ability.

Spell(runic[trap]) abilities are set off when a creature within 5+(ability level x 5) feet of the rune fails on a move silently check (DC=10+1/2 user level+user's int bonus).

Blasting Runes
Metaphysical(accessible), Spell(runic[trap])
Level: 1 (or cost 3)
Cost: 1 resolve
Preparation: Runes must be scribed on an object or wall, taking 1 full round and requiring at least improvised tools if the surface cannot be moulded easily (like sand or loose dirt)
Effect: When a creature passes within activation distance and fails its move silently check it takes 1d6 points of one of the following types of damage (chosen when the runes are scribed): fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic, force. The runes lose their potency once activated. You cannot activate your own runes.

Rune of Holding
Metaphysical(accessible), Spell(runic)
Level: 1 (or cost 3)
Cost: 1 resolve
Preparation: Runes must be scribed on the portal to be held, taking 1 full round and requiring at least improvised tools.
Effect: The runes hold the portal closed, making the portal behave as if it were locked and adding 5 to the DC to force open the portal.

Rune of Pain
Metaphysical(accessible), Spell(runic)
Level: 12 (or cost 40)
Cost: 50 resolve
Preparation: Runes must be scribed on a surface or object, taking 10 full rounds and requiring at least improvised tools.
Effect: When triggered a rune of pain causes all creatures within 60 feet, except for up to 20 you selected at the time of creation, suffer horrible pain for 1 hour or until they move out of triggering range. They take a -4 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks, and ability checks. The rune loses its potency once activated.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 09:12 AM
O.K, I'm going to assume that Resolve points are refreshed every day to a maximum of your CP.

I'll edit all my already posted powers.

Soul Bond
Metaphysical(Bargain or Immortal), Immortal(Bargain or Metaphysical), Bargain(specific), Supernatural(diabolical)
Level: 3 (cost 10)
Cost: 1 resolve per minute
Trigger: None
Activation Swift action
Effect: You have split part of your soul and shared it with your familiar. You can see through your familiar's eyes for as long as you keep on spending resolve. In addition you have the following effects continually active: you may have abilities that would usually only affect yourself affect your familiar too, if a resurrection effect is reliant on your remains being present it works as long as your familiar is present, if your familiar dies you take 2d6 charisma damage.

PirateMonk
2010-05-15, 09:41 AM
Soul Drain
Bargain(Metaphysic or Immortal), Metaphysic(Bargain), Immortal(Bargain), Spell(diabolical)
Level: 1 (cost 3)
Cost: 1
Preparation: Each morning you must meditate for 5 minutes to establish a link with the diabolic powers that give you this ability.
Attack: DC 11 + int bonus will save
Activation: Standard Action
Effect: An icy claw from the very pits of hell grabs on to the target's soul and attempts to wrench it loose. The subject takes 1d10 Charisma damage. If a creature is reduced to 0 Charisma with this ability they die.

Isn't the point of Bargain that you have to pay something beyond Resolve? This doesn't seem to connect to Bargain except by fluff.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 10:42 AM
Isn't the point of Bargain that you have to pay something beyond Resolve? This doesn't seem to connect to Bargain except by fluff.

The trade is your enemy's soul. I think that's pretty good compensation, really. And, anyway, I think that fluff is good enough.

Warrior's Finesse
Discipline(Intrinsic), Intrinsic(Discipline), Trick(combat)
Level: 1
Cost: 1 Resolve
Attack: Attack roll against AC
Trigger: None
Activation Swift action
Effect: You may make a weapon attack as a swift action. This attack penetrates gaps in armour, ignoring any non-natural armour bonus to AC. It can be made after any movement type, including swimming, jumping and falling.

PirateMonk
2010-05-15, 10:54 AM
The trade is your enemy's soul. I think that's pretty good compensation, really. And, anyway, I think that fluff is good enough.

Powerful demons negotiating with a low-level warlockoid can probably get a better deal than an opportunity to collect a soul.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-05-15, 10:54 AM
Hmmm...I think we may be losing track of what Gareth and I had originally intended.

Many of these powers seem like trivial, book-keeping related things. +1 fire damage to melee attacks? Feh.

A Paradigm Power should be something that can make a difference. I'll elaborate later, when I return from my exams today.

Also, I have imagined Resolve working on a minute-by-minute or even round-by-round refresh mechanic (or a ToB-esque spend-time-to-refresh mechanic). I hate daily limits with a passion, and per-encounter limits aren't much better.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 11:07 AM
This post originally had some igorance included, I was being rather rude and making assumptions that turned out to be false. I've edited it to include only the useful bits.

@Djinn: Ah - O.K. I'll look at the video lord gareth has posted below, and await your future posts to enlighten me on the subject. I'm sorry that I burst in on your project, I genuinely didn't know that you had already thought of anything at all! As for a recharge mechanic, how about 1 resolve per 5 rounds up to a maximum of your CR?

@PirateMonk: O.K, maybe you're right. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Lord_Gareth
2010-05-15, 11:14 AM
Scribe, I do realize you're trying to help, but Djinn and I have a lot of notes saved on the computer and in our head that haven't quite made it onto the forums here yet - we've been making and re-making abilities for this project for awhile. Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1TB4gEUY) for an idea of what combat in the Paradigm Project is supposed to look like.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-15, 11:25 AM
Scribe, I do realize you're trying to help, but Djinn and I have a lot of notes saved on the computer and in our head that haven't quite made it onto the forums here yet - we've been making and re-making abilities for this project for awhile. Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1TB4gEUY) for an idea of what combat in the Paradigm Project is supposed to look like.

Oh! I'm sorry, but I had absolutely no idea. I'm very sorry that I intruded, I just looked at the thread and thought 'This could really do with some good, hard mechanics.' I know I can get a bit headstrong, and I'm sorry that I did. I would very much like to see what stuff you've already thought of, and I'm just about to go off and watch the video. I have a lot of respect for you and Djinn as homebrewers, and I was very surprised when I thought I was seeing you two just make things up without regard for thorough mechanics. I'll see what I can do about my earlier post, watch that video, and eagerly wait to see the notes that you've made.

EDIT: I've watched the video, and am going to make an effort to edit my powers for increased awesomeness. However, I like the idea of keeping things like rune spells and such for people who have a subtler style.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-05-15, 12:37 PM
*Stuff*

No worries!

I think a large problem is that we're not ready to really do powers yet...we're not even sure we're using the standard Core system, and I'm honestly not certain we should. I think it could stand some modification: I sort of like the 4e style "attacks vs. defenses" for this, as it's largely you imposing your will against the world, although a double-rolling system of your rolled attack vs. your opponent's rolled defense could be interesting, and give us a lot to work with.

I'm debating cutting Base Attack Bonus entirely, as there's no reason in our system that someone can't use a melee weapon: those focused on it will merely get far better results. Since we probably won't ever have a round of combat without some abilities being used, we don't even need it for secondary and tertiary attacks.

In short, we'll need to work on the system first. Maybe we won't even need levels...who knows.

As far as powers go...Paradigm Powers should offer new character options, not minor increases to existing ones. All should require spending Resolve to activate them, even if they have an extended duration. They might not all be flashy (many of them won't be, in fact), but you shouldn't ever look at a power and think it's boring.

Some of the original Ritual powers are an idea of how our thoughts were progressing: an Epic level Bargain (Immortal) power made it so no allies within 1 mile of you could die so long as the power was active...at the cost of 2 months of servitude from your spirit per round active, called immediately upon the end of the duration. Something shown in that video might grant the ability to run on sloped and vertical surfaces as if they were flat ground: it grants no staggering numerical bonuses (as those will quickly break the game), but is an interesting and potentially potent ability.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-05-16, 12:46 AM
I think it could stand some modification: I sort of like the 4e style "attacks vs. defenses" for this.

I have to say, I do too. I was just under the impression that everyone in this forum disliked 4e in some way or other - but I'm slowly learning that's not true. My only problem is that 4e lacks some of the really cool long-term stuff, like familiars (they do have an expansion that includes them, but they're not as mysterious and important as 3.5 ones).

I'm debating cutting Base Attack Bonus entirely, as there's no reason in our system that someone can't use a melee weapon: those focused on it will merely get far better results.

But doesn't base attack bonus represent exactly that? The increased ability to attack, but you don't strictly need it to hit someone? But I get your point. Maybe we could have another statistic called focus, the more you have the more likely you are to hit, but as you go through combat it wears down?

In short, we'll need to work on the system first. Maybe we won't even need levels...who knows.

I think I agree. Using powers like the ones I put in the 'base class' post, I think it would be perfectly possible to drop levels, especially if we go back to the CP cost of powers instead of the 'levels' for them.

As far as powers go...Paradigm Powers should offer new character options, not minor increases to existing ones. All should require spending Resolve to activate them, even if they have an extended duration. They might not all be flashy (many of them won't be, in fact), but you shouldn't ever look at a power and think it's boring.

The problem is, I find a lot of things interesting :smallsmile: If you tell me when I'm getting boring, I'll try to develop a sense for what will interest other people. On the subject of needing resolve to activate all powers - I think that you could get a lot of extra cool stuff in if you eliminate that rule, like familiars (in the original sense, witch-bound demons that look like animals). Perhaps all abilities have some sort of Resolve benefit, but a few have constant benefits too?

Some of the original Ritual powers are an idea of how our thoughts were progressing: an Epic level Bargain (Immortal) power made it so no allies within 1 mile of you could die so long as the power was active...at the cost of 2 months of servitude from your spirit per round active, called immediately upon the end of the duration. Something shown in that video might grant the ability to run on sloped and vertical surfaces as if they were flat ground: it grants no staggering numerical bonuses (as those will quickly break the game), but is an interesting and potentially potent ability.

I get the idea. But I'm still for things like runes, familiars and so on, because they allow subtle players to be subtle. One of my favourite ideas, something that I thought of when I saw this thread, is a metaphysical(bargain) mage-spy, one who used his abilities to blend with the shadows and send demons out to do things for them. I suppose what I need to be clarified to me is whether you want the game to be constant combat, which it kind of sounds like you do, or if you want out-of-combat abilities and bonuses.