PDA

View Full Version : Galactus vs. Cthulhu

lunar
2006-06-26, 07:26 PM
Because Wizkids announced a Cthulhu figure, I've been thinking about this more and more lately. Who do you think would win?

Ing
2006-06-26, 07:57 PM
wizkids?

i'm betting on Galactus as much as i love Big C...unless he can drive Galacticus insane as well

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-27, 04:03 AM
Well, I'm thinking Galactus would eat Cthulhu like a plate of calamari. But then he would get a severe case of the backdoor trots, coupled with cramps, dry heaves, and hellish visions of a thousand screaming apocolypses. So it'd be sort of a pyrric victory....

Ing
2006-06-27, 08:34 AM
NO I GOT IT

Galakticus eats Cthulhu...

cthulhu does not die!

he regenerates inside Galakticus, fusing with him to form

Cthulkicus! and now no one in the universe is safe!

Finwe
2006-06-27, 11:11 AM
No no, Cthulhu keeps regenerating, so Galactus no longer needs to keep feeding on planets and retires to a remote tropical island, and sips pina colata's for the rest of his days.

Winner: Galactus!

lunar
2006-06-27, 11:27 AM
LOL! Those are great answers! Thanks.

Beleriphon
2006-06-27, 02:47 PM
Well, I'm thinking Galactus would eat Cthulhu like a plate of calamari. But then he would get a severe case of the backdoor trots, coupled with cramps, dry heaves, and hellish visions of a thousand screaming apocolypses. So it'd be sort of a pyrric victory....

I have the strange suspicion that Galactus has created his share of screaming apocaolypes so adding a few more from a big green squid thing is hardly a problem.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-06-27, 03:24 PM
Wow, this is weird. I've been talking to my friends lately about what a cool cosmic tussle this would make, and here I find it in a thread. Has someone been picking my brain? O_o

Runolfr
2006-06-27, 03:32 PM
Cthulu is a threat to humanity on a planetary scale, but small potatoes compared to an entity of universal importance, like Nyarlathotep or Azathoth.

Galactus is a threat to all life on an intergalactic scale, and a fundamental balancing agent between the life and death forces of the universe.

I'm going to go with Galactus on this one.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 05:37 PM
But Cthulhu can grow as big as he wants. Galactus is stuck with being just stupendous.

And Cthulhu casts spells. And is the high priest of an entire race of Cthulhus (hey, do YOU know what they're called besides "the star-spawn of Great Cthulhu?") and... well, Galactus has been defeated in the past, while Cthulhu hasn't. I'd say history speaks for itself.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-06-27, 05:41 PM
Galactus has never been defeated by mortals, only by creatures of cosmic level power like himself. He was stopped from devouring earth the first time because they managed to bargain with him.

I'm aware of the Spawn of Cthulhu, but they would be a negligable factor.... besides, the question is Cthulhu vs Galactus, not "Cthulhu & his minions."

I should also point out that Galactus's strength is many times greater than his height suggests. Characters like Apocalypse and Giant Man can grow to similar heights, but Galactus would still smack them down with his breath.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 05:50 PM
Galactus has never been defeated by mortals, only by creatures of cosmic level power like himself. He was stopped from devouring earth the first time because they managed to bargain with him.

I'm aware of the Spawn of Cthulhu, but they would be a negligable factor.... besides, the question is Cthulhu vs Galactus, not "Cthulhu & his minions."

I should also point out that Galactus's strength is many times greater than his height suggests. Characters like Apocalypse and Giant Man can grow to similar heights, but Galactus would still smack them down with his breath.

Cthulhu is a being of cosmic power, first- although not really so much as I imagine you mean, considering Galactus is actually linked to the fabric of the universe, while Cthulhu is just really old and pissy.

The Star-spawn are a perfectly reasonable resource for Cthulhu to draw upon. Heck, in all the Batman debates, we end up with Batman calling up Superman to do the fighting for him- and then go on and pretend Batman won.

And I never said Cthulhu should grow to Galactus' height. He should grow to several hundred times larger. And then who does the stepping?

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 05:54 PM
From what I've read, Galactus seems to have near infinite power and no vulnerabilities. Cthulu's main power seems to be terror and madness, and that doesn't seem likely to work against Galactus. Cthulu isn't even one of the greater gods of his own pantheon. So I'm going to give this one to Galactus.

The Star-spawn are a perfectly reasonable resource for Cthulhu to draw upon. Heck, in all the Batman debates, we end up with Batman calling up Superman to do the fighting for him- and then go on and pretend Batman won.

Sssssssh! You don't to give the Batman fans an inferiority complex. It's bad enough that he's just a guy in a rubber suit. ;)

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 05:59 PM
From what I've read, Galactus seems to have near infinite power and no vulnerabilities. Cthulu's main power seems to be terror and madness, and that doesn't seem likely to work against Galactus. Cthulu isn't even one of the greater gods of his own pantheon. So I'm going to give this one to Galactus.

Terror and madness aren't Cthulhu's main powers- they're his main powers while he's dead. You think that would account for something, that he's still a global threat while dead.

Steward
2006-06-27, 06:45 PM
Terror and madness aren't Cthulhu's main powers- they're his main powers while he's dead. You think that would account for something, that he's still a global threat while dead.

Still, you'd have to admit that Galactus has the advantage here.

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:17 PM
Erm, if Cthulu can use star spawn then where are Galactus's cosmic heralds?

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 07:23 PM
Erm, if Cthulu can use star spawn then where are Galactus's cosmic heralds?

You mean like Silver Surfer, the goofiest superhero ever? ;)

AmoDman
2006-06-27, 07:25 PM
You mean like Silver Surfer, the goofiest superhero ever? ;)

True, very true. But he has a lot of power nevertheless.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 09:27 PM
True, very true. But he has a lot of power nevertheless.

Oh, I'm not arguing with the power. In fact on the Superman v. Silver Surfer thread I said that it sounded like Silver Surfer could win--unless, you know, Superman takes away his surf board. Then he would be Silver, well, just Silver, and he'd lose all the surfer babes and go home crying. ;)

Zeal
2006-06-27, 09:56 PM
Cthulhu, 100%

INSANITY FOR THE WIN

Abd al-Azrad
2006-06-27, 09:57 PM
Still, you'd have to admit that Galactus has the advantage here.

What? Oh, yeah, I know. I'm just being difficult and defending my bro.

CelestialStick
2006-06-27, 09:59 PM
What? Oh, yeah, I know. I'm just being difficult and defending my bro.
LOL. So Cthulu is your brother?

He ain't squiggley
He's my brother...

Ing
2006-06-28, 08:29 AM
(hey, do YOU know what they're called besides "the star-spawn of Great Cthulhu?") .

cthulites?

appearing now (not)live and forever, Cthulhu and the Cthulites!

Orin_Ironhammer
2006-06-28, 08:57 AM
Cthulhu, 100%

INSANITY FOR THE WIN

No, Galactus, Devourer of worlds here....

He survived the end of a UNIVERSE. Has eaten countless worlds. How exactly do you drive a being of galctus's magnitude insane after he has eaten thousands of worlds and destroyed how many major civilizations?

Sorry Cthulhu fans, its Galactus all the way.