PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to be a mobile, rod wielding badass

tuesdayscoming
2010-05-14, 04:52 AM
So I'm working on a character ('thank you!' to those who helped in my Combat Debuffing post) who has, unfortunately, become a hobby build that probably won't be used in an actual campaign for a good bit. Although I'm not looking for advice on the build itself, the idea is to passively debuff adjacent units' saves, ac, etc as much as possible.

What I need help on is figuring out a way to expend standard actions in the middle of movement. As an example, I want to move 10 feet, use a rod that affects adjacent, debuffed enemies (the Soul Anchor rod from DM2 265, for instance), and finally move again up to my base movement speed.

Spring Attack immediately came to mind, but alas, it specifies melee weapons. That's pretty much exactly the mechanic I'm looking for, though. Any ideas?

Rad
2010-05-14, 05:02 AM
IIRC, flyby attack is what people usually use for that. It needs you to be able to fly though.

Also worth a mention are that level 1 tiger claw maneuver that allows you to jump as a swift action and Travel Devotion.

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-14, 08:39 AM
Travel devotion, indeed! Especially if you're debuffing build has turn or rebuke undead to power the feat.

It lets you move your base speed as a swift action each round, and can be found in Complete Champion.

Greenish
2010-05-14, 08:41 AM
Swim-by attack. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2010-05-14, 08:44 AM
Be a Warlock! Not only can you create and use every rod in the game, you can grab Fell Flight for Flyby Attack and strafe the enemy all day long.

graeylin
2010-05-14, 09:15 AM
don't forget the warlock and hover either. flyby attack, hover, retreat, flyby, retreat, hover...

nice.

Greenish
2010-05-14, 09:23 AM
don't forget the warlock and hover either. flyby attack, hover, retreat, flyby, retreat, hover... Why would you need Hover when you're using fly-by attack anyway?

graeylin
2010-05-14, 10:24 AM
hover is a nice mobile artillery platform. you can simply stay still, away from the action, and cast away with your rods. no need to risk getting into weapon range with the flyby.

you can hover, attack, and move further away, if the nasty sharp things start getting too close.

gdiddy
2010-05-14, 01:33 PM
Warlock also has Fly-By Bestow Curse at will.

Yeah. That bestow curse. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126056)