PDA

View Full Version : Monky Business

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-14, 06:54 AM
Simply, how to get most of Sleeping Tiger Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sleepingTiger) / Shadow Dancer / Assassin combo? What ways are there to keep increasing unarmed damage? Is the Sleeping Tiger 6th level ability worth a damn? Useful tactics for Hide in Plain Sight? What feats would help the most with sneaky goodness?

Yes, Shadow Hand Unarmed Swordsage could do everything the above can, and maybe more, but that's not the question. So keep that out. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-05-14, 07:03 AM
What ways are there to keep increasing unarmed damage?Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack).

Is the Sleeping Tiger 6th level ability worth a damn?If your DM let's it count as Sneak Attack, you qualify for Craven. Otherwise, it's worthless.

Useful tactics for Hide in Plain Sight?Hide while attacking to hit opponent's flat-footed AC.
What feats would help the most with sneaky goodness?Darkstalker from Lords of Madness allows you to hide vs. blindsight/sense, tremor sense etc.

Yes, Shadow Hand Unarmed Swordsage could do everything the above can, and maybe more, but that's not the question. So keep that out. :smalltongue:Aww.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-14, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=Greenish;8491127][URL=http://www.d20srd.org
If your DM let's it count as Sneak Attack, you qualify for Craven. Otherwise, it's worthless.
[QUOTE]
If it counted as SA, I'd get extra SA damage every other level of some other class as rogue, right? How would that interact with Assassin's SA?

Otherwise, getting out a Monk 2 would be the best course of action unless I really want something else down the line. Though now I'm considering the possibility of adding Psionic Fist to the mix.

What is the general consensus on Shadow Dancer abilities? It's in the mix mainly for Hide in Plain Sight, and I get Evasion from monk already. Also, I need more levels in some other base class if I only go Monk 2 before I can start with the PrCs. Maybe rogue, so I don't need to pick Disguise ranks as cross-class. What other classes suitable for Lawful Evil are there that grant Disguise?

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-14, 08:34 AM
I recommend the Kung Fu genius feat, switching your monk abilities to INT from WIS for assassin INT synergy. Assassin has int-based casting and int-based death attack DC.

I would also recommend getting stunning fist and boosting your Int as high as possible, and taking abilities and items that increase stunning fist DC, so you can stun/kill better with your special abilities.

Why sleeping tiger style, out of curiosity?

Greenish
2010-05-14, 08:39 AM
If it counted as SA, I'd get extra SA damage every other level of some other class as rogue, right?No, why would you? You'd only have that very specific 1d6 every turn you qualify for it.
How would that interact with Assassin's SA?It would stack for that one attack.

Otherwise, getting out a Monk 2 would be the best course of action unless I really want something else down the line.You don't want to take more than Monk 2. There's nothing there.
Though now I'm considering the possibility of adding Psionic Fist to the mix.Meh, I prefer Tashatalora. Monk2/Ardent18 gets 9th level powers, nifty amount of powerpoints, picks the powers you want (with custom mantle AFC) and gets monk's unarmed damage and AC.

What is the general consensus on Shadow Dancer abilities?It sucks. The feats needed to get in are bad, and aside from HiPS it doesn't offer anything.
Also, I need more levels in some other base class if I only go Monk 2 before I can start with the PrCs. Maybe rogue, so I don't need to pick Disguise ranks as cross-class. What other classes suitable for Lawful Evil are there that grant Disguise?Factotum.

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-14, 08:42 AM
I second Factotum.

Monk 2/Factotum 3/Assassin X, specifically, with Kung Fu Genius to superfocus you on INT.

After (or during) assassin, you could pop into Tattoed Monk for some skill boosts and all-day-long alter selfs.

Greenish
2010-05-14, 08:44 AM
Monk 2/Factotum 3/Assassin X, specifically, with Kung Fu Genius to superfocus you on INT.Obviously, the build would be better without the levels in monk (or assassin).

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-14, 08:45 AM
Yes, strait factotum would probably be better, but at that point we're getting WAY off base. I think the above build will be fun and effective, and give the people what they want.

Frozen_Feet
2010-05-14, 09:17 AM
Why sleeping tiger style, out of curiosity?
Free Weapon Finesse and Improved Init., though I just now realized that if I really want Shadow Dancer, Cobra Strike might serve me better.

No, why would you?.

I had a momentary black out on how Craven actually worked. You're right, there isn't anything to be gained in the 6th level ability.

Obviously, the build would be better without the levels in monk (or assassin).
Oh, hush. :smalltongue: I know there's gazillion other class combos that would leave this one standing in the dust. The whole point is to squeeze most out of a sub-optimal combo.