PDA

View Full Version : I need some serious help with some serious problems

KilltheToy
2010-05-14, 08:45 AM
So my dad has recently let me start driving his truck to school. I've been driving it for a total of 4 days, and already I've messed it up something fierce. On Wendsday I tried putting a CD-R in the CD player to see if it would work. It didn't. In fact, it ate the CD. Yesterday I accidentally turned the hazard lights on while switching gears, so they were on for several hours. I turned them off when I figured out what was wrong. The thing is I thought the turn signal had bugged out, so I was messing with it and turned on the headlights, which stayed on for a few hours, killing the battery. I had to get a jump from my mom's car to get to school today. On my way, I was turning right when another truck came out of nowhere and I sideswiped them and damaged their door. Now they want me to pay for it.

At the moment, I'm freaking out about what to do. Should I use my limited funds (about $200) or just let insurance handle it? My dad is already paying a crapload just to have me insured, so I'm sure he'd prefer not paying even more. Should I confess everything to my parents or should they just not know? If they find out about this, they'll be very, very, very, very angry. I'd really enjoy not dealing with that.

So, what should I do here? Your help is appreciated.

Saint Nil
2010-05-14, 08:48 AM
First off, lying will NEVER work. Trust me. They are going to find out anyway, so it is best if you go ahead and tell them, they probably know how to better deal with these problems than you do.

valadil
2010-05-14, 08:55 AM
S
At the moment, I'm freaking out about what to do. Should I use my limited funds (about $200) or just let insurance handle it? My dad is already paying a crapload just to have me insured, so I'm sure he'd prefer not paying even more. Should I confess everything to my parents or should they just not know? If they find out about this, they'll be very, very, very, very angry. I'd really enjoy not dealing with that.

They'll be angrier if they hear about it from someone else than from you. Fess up. Offer your limited funds towards the damage. See how bad the damage is and let your parents (the ones who pay the insurance after all) decide what to do about it.

Hazkali
2010-05-14, 09:04 AM
If you pay through the insurance, I'm sure your parents (who pay the bill) would be notified. Not a good way for them to find out.

I would talk it out with your parents. Let them know what has happened, and see what they suggest. They are your parents, after all, helping you in scrapes (no pun intended) is part of the job description.

My expectation is that in either situation, you will end up having to pay your parents back, either the increase in insurance or the lump sum, and you will probably lose the privilege of using the truck for a while. No great harm done.

Cyrion
2010-05-14, 09:17 AM
Of all your misadventures so far, only the door damage is "serious." Your dad probably already knew about the CD player being bad, or if it's a sudden thing, that's not your fault. Basically, you're out a CD; no worries.

The headlights and battery- know you know how to operate all the lights and you won't make the same mistake again. Unless the battery is near the end of its life anyway, driving the truck will recharge it. If you haven't already, drive the truck for a while and all will be well.

Don't beat yourself up over the accident. It was an accident, and they DO happen. Since you didn't say anything, I assume no one got hurt, so there's no lasting issue; you can just get the two vehicles repaired and move on. Your $200 isn't likely to cover the damages, but you should offer it as part of taking responsibility for your own issues.

Be up front and honest with your parents, and though they may be cheesed off for a while, they'll probably be understanding. As Hazkali said, it kind of comes with the territory of being parents.

Jack Squat
2010-05-14, 09:20 AM
OK, I'm going to break this down and address points separately.

So my dad has recently let me start driving his truck to school. I've been driving it for a total of 4 days, and already I've messed it up something fierce.

How long have you been driving? How familiar are you with the car?

On Wendsday I tried putting a CD-R in the CD player to see if it would work. It didn't. In fact, it ate the CD.

Sounds like the radio's going bad if it ate the CD. Most will eject it if they can't be read. Radios go bad over time, I've had to replace a few, it's not your fault, don't worry about it.

Yesterday I accidentally turned the hazard lights on while switching gears, so they were on for several hours. I turned them off when I figured out what was wrong. The thing is I thought the turn signal had bugged out, so I was messing with it and turned on the headlights, which stayed on for a few hours, killing the battery. I had to get a jump from my mom's car to get to school today.

Here's the start of your problems. You're obviously a new driver, but I don't think you're comfortable behind the wheel - and you're definitely not comfortable with the car. Just sit in the driveway and go over all the controls, hit all the buttons to see what they do. This way you're not trying to figure it out while driving.

On my way, I was turning right when another truck came out of nowhere and I sideswiped them and damaged their door.

Hint, cars don't "come out of nowhere". This is probably your fault, but I don't know the conditions - what type of intersection was it? If it was a light, did you have the green? If it was a stop sign, was it a 2-way, 3-way, or all-way stop? Was it your turn in the rotation?

What's the damage to your car? What's the estimated repair for the door? Was there a police report filed?

Now they want me to pay for it.

That's pretty standard if it's your fault, I'd get used to it.

At the moment, I'm freaking out about what to do. Should I use my limited funds (about $200) or just let insurance handle it?

Depends on the cost of damage. I don't know a lot that can be fixed for $200 in a shop. If you can cover it, or if you can get your parents to cover it and you pay them back, that's probably the best option, as your insurance will stay down.

My dad is already paying a crapload just to have me insured, so I'm sure he'd prefer not paying even more. Should I confess everything to my parents or should they just not know? If they find out about this, they'll be very, very, very, very angry. I'd really enjoy not dealing with that.

You need to tell them. In fact, go do it right now. Also tell them that you'll be willing to get into a defensive driving course. They're not that bad, plus they can get you a better rate on insurance.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-05-14, 10:41 AM
I doubt $200 is going to cover the damage to a door. Late Summer last year, I was backed into while I was stopped in a parking lot, by a car going less than 5 miles an hour, and it was a $700 fix. And I drive a '93 Plymouth Acclaim which has a metal body instead of the fiberglass most cars are made out of these days. My advice to you is to tell your parents what happened, and see what they suggest out of the two options (cash/insurance). They likely won't be happy, but they should know these things happen with teenage drivers. Heck, when I was in college, I rear-ended some guy with my mom's van. There was no damage to his car, but the van needed a new hood, front bumper and radiator. Needless to say she was not in a good mood that day, but again. stuff happens. I would think insurance would be the best way to go myself.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-14, 10:46 AM
First, get some advice from someone with more understanding of the traffic laws as to whether the accident was really your fault. That's very important.

If it's indeed your fault, and the damage isn't great, just coughing up the $200 would be your best bet. Insurance companies are a female canine to deal with.

As for the rest of the stuff (CD, battery), don't worry about it. If the drive ate the CD, it's probably a bad drive, not your fault, and the thing with the battery happens to more experienced drivers than you all the time.

paddyfool
2010-05-14, 10:50 AM
However upset your folks might be about the accident, they'll doubtless be much more upset if you try to deceive them about it and they find out (which they almost certainly will)... so man up, admit what happened, and offer up the $200.

TSGames
2010-05-14, 11:51 AM
I doubt $200 is going to cover the damage to a door. Late Summer last year, I was backed into while I was stopped in a parking lot, by a car going less than 5 miles an hour, and it was a $700 fix.

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me; it even cost about the same to fix(the woman that hit me was trying to drive off, too; I just got lucky that I happened to be coming back to my car at the time).

Anyway, the consensus seems to be "TELL YOUR PARENTS!" -- that's good advice. Hopefully you can resolve it without the insurance company getting involved(people usually respond well when offered ca$h). The other issues...the cd player and the battery are pretty minor, and I doubt your dad will care very much.

Just remember: this kind of stuff happens to everyone at someone, take it in stride, handle it responsibly, and you'll be fine.

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 11:59 AM

Essentially, what others have said. The radio was probaly not your fault. The battery...it happens even to more experienced drivers (you may want to follow Jack Squat's advice, thought, and familiarize yourself more with the controls before driving. It's bad to find out stuff when you're driving, and it may lead to serious consequences).

Now, about the accident. I'm going to assume it was your fault. Why? Because even if I don't know what happened, you are an inexperienced driver. When I was an inexperienced driver too, usually accidents or near-accidents were my fault. On the off-chance it isn't, though, I'm going to ask: were you driving in your lane? Did you respect the right of way? Did you have a green light?

Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's your fault or not, you have to tell your parents: lying is not an adult option. And it's very likely they'll discover it anyway (I suppose your veichle was damaged, too). Moreover, your parents will likely be able to give you advice on the best decision to make (pay or go through insurance). Also, it's unlikely 200$ will cover the damage. I hit a marble flower box with the side of my car - it costed 300 euros to fix :smallsigh:.

If it was your fault, you have to admit what happened and pay the damage done. It's the "adult" thing to do. Console yourself thinking that accidents happen: on my first day of driving, I messed up a parking manoeuvre and damaged a parked car, not to mention my mom's car, which I both had to pay (I went and left my number to call under the other car's wiper. It was the right thing to do).

One last thing: I feel from your post that you aren't confortable driving. Maybe ask your parents for extra lessons or to sit beside you sometimes when you drive? It may help you feeling more confident, which in turn may help prevent other accidents.

KilltheToy
2010-05-14, 01:52 PM
How long have you been driving? How familiar are you with the car?

I'm fairly familiar with it, but I've been driving it solo for a grand total of 4 days.

Here's the start of your problems. You're obviously a new driver, but I don't think you're comfortable behind the wheel - and you're definitely not comfortable with the car. Just sit in the driveway and go over all the controls, hit all the buttons to see what they do. This way you're not trying to figure it out while driving.

Got it.

Hint, cars don't "come out of nowhere". This is probably your fault, but I don't know the conditions - what type of intersection was it? If it was a light, did you have the green? If it was a stop sign, was it a 2-way, 3-way, or all-way stop? Was it your turn in the rotation?

4-way intersection at red lights. I was turning right on red and they came from the left side. I didn't see them, so it's probably my fault.

What's the damage to your car? What's the estimated repair for the door? Was there a police report filed?

My truck was fine. Don't know how much it'll cost. There was a cop in the lane next to me, but he didn't do anything. However, the city might have installed red light cameras there, so there's a chance my dad will be getting a ticket in the mail soon.

Depends on the cost of damage. I don't know a lot that can be fixed for $200 in a shop. If you can cover it, or if you can get your parents to cover it and you pay them back, that's probably the best option, as your insurance will stay down.

It wasn't a huge dent. I hope $200 will cover it, because that's all I have.

You need to tell them. In fact, go do it right now. Also tell them that you'll be willing to get into a defensive driving course. They're not that bad, plus they can get you a better rate on insurance.

I would, but I'm at school right now. I'll mention the course, that might make them feel better and make whatever punishment they decide on a little bit less severe.

First, get some advice from someone with more understanding of the traffic laws as to whether the accident was really your fault. That's very important.

I'm pretty sure it is in fact my fault, given they probably had the right of way.

Console yourself thinking that accidents happen: on my first day of driving, I messed up a parking manoeuvre and damaged a parked car, not to mention my mom's car, which I both had to pay (I went and left my number to call under the other car's wiper. It was the right thing to do).

I've been telling myself "It could be worse", because that pretty much applies to everything, but this time especially.

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 02:03 PM
4-way intersection at red lights. I was turning right on red and they came from the left side. I didn't see them, so it's probably my fault.

I'm pretty sure it is in fact my fault, given they probably had the right of way.

If you had a red light, change the "probably" to "surely". Red light at intersection are there for a reason, you know. :smallwink: And of course it could be worse: somebody could have been hurt. Fortunately it didin't happen and you'll know better next time.

2010-05-14, 02:52 PM
First, red light cameras are there for people running red lights/illegal stuff. Turning (right in the US) on red isn't illegal unless there's a no turn on red sign there. Under the circumstances you explained, I highly doubt that you'll get a ticket. If the police car in the vicinity didn't give you a ticket on the spot upon seeing the collision, I'd be surprised if you get on.

@Kill
Don't let the size of the dent lead you into thinking it won't cost a lot. In pretty much all cases with car repair, it's the labor involved that makes the cost skyrocket, not the parts, and similar pieces. There's likely going to be someone hand pounding the dent out, then detailing the area to match, which means it's probably not going to be cheap. Referring to my aforementioned parking lot collision last year, that dent wasn't all that big either, the bill was $700. Yes you're worried about the cost, but as pretty much everyone has iterated, that's what insurance is there for. yes the premiums will go up, and your parents won't be thrilled about that, but take solace in the fact that you're probably one of thousands of teen drivers that are in this situation every year. While driving parents vehicles, I've been in one accident, and not been paying attention and scraped the sliding door of the minivan on the garage door frame. Trust me, you're not alone in what's happened.

Gamerlord
2010-05-14, 02:54 PM
Pay it with your funds, next time, be more careful, or at least make sure you are the one who gets paid next time for damages. [last bit is semi-sarcastic]

Strawberries
2010-05-14, 04:06 PM
First, red light cameras are there for people running red lights/illegal stuff. Turning (right in the US) on red isn't illegal unless there's a no turn on red sign there. Under the circumstances you explained, I highly doubt that you'll get a ticket.

Really? That's not how it works where I'm from (in my country a red light means you have to stop until it's green. No ecceptions.) In that case, I'm sorry I made an incorrect assumption :smallredface:.

Don't let the size of the dent lead you into thinking it won't cost a lot. In pretty much all cases with car repair, it's the labor involved that makes the cost skyrocket, not the parts, and similar pieces. There's likely going to be someone hand pounding the dent out, then detailing the area to match, which means it's probably not going to be cheap.

Yep. Same happened to me. Plus, if it isn't only a dent but the paint has been scraped away they have to paint it again using a color that matches exactly the original. In my case, they had to mix ad hoc paint - my car is a particular shade of light blue - and the cost shot up, while a similar intervention on my father's white car was much cheaper.

Syka
2010-05-14, 10:04 PM
For future reference, whenever you get in ANY accident, no matter how minor, always call the police. That way there is a record and it becomes less of a he-said-she-said. Paying cash can also be a bad idea. Yes, your insurance rates may/will go up if you report it to them, but paying cash does not mean the person will not still go to your insurance company.

As someone who is familiar with accidents (my mom has been in 2 in the last 2 years, neither her fault, along with numerous friends dealing with it), it is always Best Idea to get everything recorded and do all dealings above the table. Trying to avoid increased rates and all doesn't always work.

That said, telling your parents is truly the best option. You are still young and inexperienced, and they can help you navigate. They may not be happy, exactly, but hiding it won't help that.

Good luck. *hugs* I know how scary accidents can be, even minor ones.

mucat
2010-05-14, 11:00 PM
Really? That's not how it works where I'm from (in my country a red light means you have to stop until it's green. No ecceptions.) In that case, I'm sorry I made an incorrect assumption :smallredface:.
You weren't all that far off the mark, Strawberries. Turning right on a red light is legal in the U.S., but cross traffic always has the right of way under those circumstances, so the crash is almost certainly KtT's fault.

KtT, as everyone has been saying, tell your parents, and let them decide whether to pay cash or report it to the insurance company. It will cost more than $200, but pay what you can for now, and offer to repay your parents for the rest over time. In the scheme of things, this is not a huge deal. I imagine that if this is the worst thing that happens as you learn to drive, your parents will be quite relieved.

One thing though -- don't tell them what you told us, that the other truck "came out of nowhere." It didn't, and that phrase just makes it sound like you're trying to dodge responsibility. Tell them that you screwed up and didn't see the car coming, and take responsibility both for the crash and for becoming a better driver in the future. That's all they can reasonably ask.

(Well, they can ask for a novice driver who never screws up behind the wheel, but they're not likely to get that wish...)

ForzaFiori
2010-05-14, 11:20 PM
I'm going to once again reiterate the "tell your parents" line. It's one thing to not tell them about your mishaps that DON'T damage a vehicle. When something is damaged, they need to know.

Depending on the size of the dent, and the loss of paint, and the type of car, the cost changes insanely. For instance, a metal car costs more for a small dent than a fiberglass, because metal is harder to pop out, and therefor more labor. Painting it ups the cost. Some cars are easy to get to the dents, some aren't. The mechanic also has a huge difference (obviously). My mechanic, for instance, charges very low labor costs. However, only in the luckiest cases with $200 pay it completely. Therefor, your almost certainly gonna need to get your insurance company involved, and that means your parents. Just fess up, admit what you did was wrong, give them the $200 to start with and get ready to pay them back, and probably lose driving privilege. In addition, if you have a permit, or restricted license, instead of a full license (not sure which your have) you may have to wait longer before you can get a full license.

Douglas
2010-05-15, 03:16 AM
In the U.S., the rule is that you can turn on a red light if doing so does not involve crossing any lane of traffic that currently has the green light. That usually means turning right from the right-most lane into the right-most lane (I'm not sure what country you're in and how it works there, but in the U.S. we drive on the right-hand side of the road), but turning left can also be allowed in certain configurations involving one-way streets. In any case, if you take advantage of this exception it is always your responsibility to make sure there's a big enough gap in traffic for it, and if there isn't then any accident that results is always considered your fault.

Now if you're at a red turn arrow, that's different. If there's a red turn arrow for the direction you want to turn, then you have to stop and wait no matter what. Some intersections have a sign that says "No right on red" or something similar, and those also mean you have to wait for the green light no matter what.

As for the issue at hand, the unanimous chorus has good advice. $200 is unlikely to cover the entire bill, but being willing to part with it is a major indication that you are taking responsibility for the accident, that you're taking it seriously, and that you're sorry for it. With that plus volunteering to take a defensive driving course, I'd expect any punishment from your parents to be pretty light if they're at all reasonable about it.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-15, 03:40 AM
douglas, your first bit there is confusing.

you can turn on a red light if doing so does not involve crossing any lane of traffic that currently has the green light

Though I think I know what you mean. I cannot cross over any lane that has the green light.

Also its important to note that before you turn, you must come to a complete stop. I'd imagine that the OP did not.

Also, I caused a minor dent when I was in my first week of driving, as well. Called my parents right away. Most of my friends get apprehensive about talking to their parents about troubles, I just find it makes everything easier to talk to them as soon as possible.

HellfireLover
2010-05-15, 05:14 AM
I'll reinforce this, tell your parents. It's highly unlikely that $200 will cover the damage caused (I was in a knock-for-knock accident at low speed and the damage to my right wing cost £500 to mend.) Also, check your insurance company's policies for a non-disclosure clause. Here in the UK, if you are involved in an accident which damages your or another vehicle, and do not disclose this fact to your insurance company (regardless of whether you chose to settle the matter without their help), then the company can revise your premiums or refuse to insure you in future if they find out. They'll also revoke any no claims bonus on your policy and hike up the excess. Don't know if it's the same where you are.

dehro
2010-05-15, 07:09 AM
think of it this way: when your parents gave you the keys to your first car, they fully expected you to get into trouble with it. no parent with an ounce of common sense expects their child's first car to not receive a few knocks and bruises. their main concern will always be your safety and that you show yourself to be mature enought to manage it, even when you get into trouble with it.
now, you've proven to them that you're just like other kids and have indeed gotten into trouble with your car... time to prove them you're mature enough to deserve the car at all...
accidents happen and experience can only be gained over time. (mind you, you were awfully quick in getting in trouble :smalltongue:). they know this, you have just learned your first lesson..time for the next lesson: damage control

Jack Squat
2010-05-15, 07:38 AM
My truck was fine. Don't know how much it'll cost. There was a cop in the lane next to me, but he didn't do anything. However, the city might have installed red light cameras there, so there's a chance my dad will be getting a ticket in the mail soon.

As others said, if the cop didn't pull up (which, IMO, the fact that he didn't at least check out the incident shows poorly on the cop) then you shouldn't get a ticket.

For future reference, whenever you get in ANY accident, no matter how minor, always call the police. That way there is a record and it becomes less of a he-said-she-said.

I don't know the validity of this, but I've been told that in some states if you report an accident that had no injuries, you can actually be ticketed/charged with wrongful use of 911. So as always, check local laws.

Serpentine
2010-05-15, 07:42 AM
You can call the police without using 911 (or whatever the local equivalent is)...

Wellp, consider it a learning experience, and make sure you look after other people's property! Sheesh, that many accidents that quickly?! Sheesh.
You should probably get brownie responsibility points if you own up to it right away and talk to your parents about what you can do (and what you've learned from it!).

Syka
2010-05-15, 11:08 AM
I didn't suggest 911, I suggested calling the police. :smalltongue: As far as I know, for my mom's accidents it was never 911 that was called, or if it was- it was done by those not involved in the accident.

It's usually pretty easy to get a hold of the local non-emergency lines, and it's not a bad idea to keep the number on you anyway.

I've just always been taught that you keep it on the up-and-up. It also helps avoid having to pay cash, and then pay more cash if/when insurance/courts get involved. Because, honestly, do you REALLY trust them to not do that when there is nothing stopping them from doing so? Getting cash and a payout? Nice....

Edit: My mom has had that happen to friends, as far as I know. Hence me being taught to get it all documented.

2010-05-15, 11:29 AM
You can always call 911, and tell them it's a non-emergency crash. Most police departments understand these kind of things happen, and you probably won't get a ticket for wrongful use of 911 if you are reporting an accident. Which brings me to my next point, is that you should always call the police for an accident, and get an accident report taken down whenever possible. I say that because if you get into an accident on private property (like a parking lot), many times the police won't respond to it. But yes, you need to get a report and go through insurance every single time it's there to be had. I was actually sued over a year later by the guy I rear-ended for medical reasons (which were rather suspect with the circumstances), but he was still awarded like $30,000, which the INSURANCE paid. If you don't go through insurance, it may come back to bite you in ways you won't see coming.

mucat
2010-05-15, 11:31 AM
Syka raises a good point: if the person you hit is angry and dishonest, then they might hit you up for cash, then file a claim with your insurance anyway. This doesn't mean you can't settle their repair bill with cash. I've done that twice when I damaged people's cars -- once in a minor crash like yours and once walking across a parking lot when I lost my grip on some plywood -- and I was glad both times that we didn't choose to get insurance companies involved.

But it does mean that you should get a receipt for any cash you give them, along with a copy of their receipt from the body shop for the repair. And if you get a shady vibe from the other driver, it'd probably be safest to go ahead and report the crash, and let the insurance handle it.

skywalker
2010-05-15, 06:55 PM
I doubt $200 is going to cover the damage to a door. Late Summer last year, I was backed into while I was stopped in a parking lot, by a car going less than 5 miles an hour, and it was a $700 fix. And I drive a '93 Plymouth Acclaim which has a metal body instead of the fiberglass most cars are made out of these days.

Since when are "most cars" made out of fiberglass? Last I heard, factory cars were still almost exclusively aluminum. Yeah, Saturn had those "dent-resistant" (IE cheaper) side panels, but I thought that was a pretty niche thing.

In the U.S., the rule is that you can turn on a red light if doing so does not involve crossing any lane of traffic that currently has the green light. That usually means turning right from the right-most lane into the right-most lane (I'm not sure what country you're in and how it works there, but in the U.S. we drive on the right-hand side of the road), but turning left can also be allowed in certain configurations involving one-way streets. In any case, if you take advantage of this exception it is always your responsibility to make sure there's a big enough gap in traffic for it, and if there isn't then any accident that results is always considered your fault.

That doesn't make sense. If you couldn't turn into a lane that had the green light, you couldn't turn right at most red lights throughout the country. It is perfectly legal to turn right at a red light, into a lane that has right-of-way/green light, as long as there is no impending vehicle in that lane. The question of right-of-way is not important, it's merely a question of whether or not there's an impending vehicle.

I personally think it's bad advice to call the police, because then your insurance company finds out. And if they find out, regardless of whether or not you get them to pay for it, they will raise your rates, sometimes tremendously (especially with you being a young, male driver. This leads me into my next bit:

Don't involve insurance unless you have to!

It's also bad advice, in my opinion, to go through insurance. You are almost guaranteed to pay more in premiums over the next 20 years because of this incident if you involve them, than you are to pay if you just pay for it yourself. It's a frakking dent/scrape. No, $200 probably won't cover it. But neither will it be a $5000 job (unless you sideswiped a Ferrari, and since they don't make trucks, you probably didn't).

Obviously, in a situation where 911 or police are called, or where the damage is extensive (and the vehicle is undrivable or likely to be), then insurance must get involved. But I remember when I had an accident the first week I was driving, I really smashed a friend's Mercedes up good when I rear-ended her with my SUV. Her father insisted on calling the police, but when the officer got there and found that we all knew each other and were friends/amicable, he flat out told us not to file a police report (because it would involve insurance) or to call insurance.

Douglas
2010-05-15, 09:27 PM
That doesn't make sense. If you couldn't turn into a lane that had the green light, you couldn't turn right at most red lights throughout the country. It is perfectly legal to turn right at a red light, into a lane that has right-of-way/green light, as long as there is no impending vehicle in that lane. The question of right-of-way is not important, it's merely a question of whether or not there's an impending vehicle.
You're misreading it. I didn't say you couldn't turn into a lane with the green light, I said you can't cross a lane with the green light. If you're turning right onto a road that has two lanes going in that direction, you have to turn into the right-hand one.

Syka
2010-05-15, 09:48 PM
Skywalker, you also knew the people in question. As I said, if you don't know them from Adam, it's a better idea to involve insurance to avoid getting screwed by someone who takes advantage of your not wanting to involve insurance (ie, getting cash AND getting an insurance payoff...which they could very well do).

In the last ten years my mom has been in 3 accidents, 2 in the last 2 years (within 14 months of each other). In one our car was totaled. As far as I know, our premiums have not gone up significantly. Given it's already a young male driving the car, their premiums are already high and I doubt this would raise it to an "OMG that is sooooo much more than before" level.

Hell, my boyfriend's insurance rates went up when he hit a dear that ran in front of him and totaled his car. It happens, and it's doubtful it'll be something that sticks with you for 20 years (especially since rates go down at 25), unless you make a habit of getting in accidents and getting tickets.

2010-05-15, 10:29 PM
Since when are "most cars" made out of fiberglass? Last I heard, factory cars were still almost exclusively aluminum. Yeah, Saturn had those "dent-resistant" (IE cheaper) side panels, but I thought that was a pretty niche thing.

Yes, the frame generally is made out of Aluminum these days, but I believe there are a more car companies that have started using fiberglass for body panels. I think VW uses fiberglass panels almost exclusively for all their cars, and believe it or not, but many American Sports Cars have a good bit of fiberglass paneling.

KilltheToy
2010-05-17, 10:02 PM
So, situation has been resolved. I managed to not tell my dad that I'd been in a car accident because I was honestly afraid of what his reaction would be. However, I did post to Facebook that I wasn't looking forward to the conversation about it. Tonight, he asked me about said Facebook status and I told him what happened. Then, in a wonderful bit of serendipity, the girls I hit called me. Long story short, I'm going with the insurance. I need my meagre funds for other things, like gas for my wonderfully fuel inefficient truck. :smalltongue:

Also, I saw that my truck did sustain very, very minor damage. I didn't mention that part, mostly because I honestly didn't see it till two days after the accident happened.

Syka
2010-05-17, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming he wasn't angry out of proportion?

I'm glad it's working out. :smallsmile:

Ranna
2010-05-18, 03:34 AM
So, situation has been resolved. I managed to not tell my dad that I'd been in a car accident because I was honestly afraid of what his reaction would be. However, I did post to Facebook that I wasn't looking forward to the conversation about it. Tonight, he asked me about said Facebook status and I told him what happened. Then, in a wonderful bit of serendipity, the girls I hit called me. Long story short, I'm going with the insurance. I need my meagre funds for other things, like gas for my wonderfully fuel inefficient truck. :smalltongue:

Also, I saw that my truck did sustain very, very minor damage. I didn't mention that part, mostly because I honestly didn't see it till two days after the accident happened.

I drove into a wall when I started driving on my own.. a stationary wall.. "it came out of nowhere" :smallwink:

I didn't notice the damage either for a while till my dad saw it (immediately and I have no idea how he noticed so fast) and shouted lots...

Its something you get used to looking for damage and such i guess.

Cealocanth
2010-05-19, 11:12 PM
So my dad has recently let me start driving his truck to school. I've been driving it for a total of 4 days, and already I've messed it up something fierce. On Wendsday I tried putting a CD-R in the CD player to see if it would work. It didn't. In fact, it ate the CD. Yesterday I accidentally turned the hazard lights on while switching gears, so they were on for several hours. I turned them off when I figured out what was wrong. The thing is I thought the turn signal had bugged out, so I was messing with it and turned on the headlights, which stayed on for a few hours, killing the battery. I had to get a jump from my mom's car to get to school today. On my way, I was turning right when another truck came out of nowhere and I sideswiped them and damaged their door. Now they want me to pay for it.

Mistakes happen. They happen to everyone. The important thing is to learn from them. Go to your dad and confess, then ask him to teach you what's wrong with the car so you don't make anything worse. If he forces you to pay for the damages, ask if you can work it off.

I can;t make a magical solution appear out of thin air because time is of the essence and the more time you spend not telling him the more chance he has of finding out. Investing ain't an option at this time. You could try asking grandma/grandpa for finnancial help. That's what I can give you right now. Good luck. :smallsmile:

[Edit: oops! Didn't notice it was resolved. have a nice day!]

mucat
2010-05-19, 11:28 PM
I drove into a wall when I started driving on my own.. a stationary wall.. "it came out of nowhere" :smallwink:
John von Neumann, the mathematician, described that kind of thing well:

"I was proceeding down the road. The trees on the right were passing me in orderly fashion at 60 miles per hour. Suddenly one of them stepped in my path."

(He was a great mathematician, but kind of a ****. His driving reflected that...)