PDA

View Full Version : Clark Kent vs. Bruce Wayne

Ar-Sakal
2006-06-15, 12:15 PM
Discuss.

Bruce Wayne:
Positives - Billionare with lots of money; stable and profitable company; center of attention of Gotham City; playboy reputation; cool mansion with secret passages; the butler

Negatives - Deep psychological problems; never has had a stable romantic relation despite being loaded with money; probable target to a child molester suit (6 wards in his career)

Clark Kent:
Positives- Always seems to be sorrounded with beatiful women (just look at Smallville); works for a classy organization in the middle of gigantic Metropolis; vast real state properties in the North Pole and Kansas; great foster parents (if I die, I hope my kids are raised by the Kents)

Negatives- Terrible reporter since he always seems to lose the scoop; reputation of being clumsy, nerdy and mumbling; Louis Lane is just interested in someone else; his best friend is... Jimmy Olsen?; unkown long-term consequences of being exposed to interstellar radiation when child; can't stand a piece of his own hometown

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-15, 12:48 PM
It has to be said...SOMEBODY has to say it...

Clark Kent wins in a straight fight, but Bruce Wayne wins with preperation!

If you didn't realize I'm taking the piss, you suck. :P

Tokeloshe
2006-06-15, 12:54 PM
In a fight, Bruce Wayne.

Bruce is a trained martial artist, while Clark is basically a straight jock. Further, Bruce Wayne as Batman has shown himself to be a equal to Superman, whereas Superman basically has repeatedly relied upon cheese in order to win.

If you take away Batman's armour, his belt, and his money, he still has the skills that made him Batman.

If you take away Clark Kent's powers, he doesn't have squat beyond his muscles.

In Day To Day Success: Bruce Wayne.

Why? This guy has actually increased the wealth of Wayne enterprises while being in control of it, has a wide range of interests and a lot of knowledge to back his arguments up.

Clark on the other hand, is basically a reporter at a badly run newspaper who, though a nice enough chap, still manages to fail to get any scoops.

In Romantic Success: Clark Kent

Bruce Wayne, unfortunately, cannot love anybody who isn't a little bit nuts. Face it, for all that his Batman side is stern and his Bruce side is pure whitebread, this guy has a real thing for bad girls, and the good girls frankly bore him.

Clark on the other hand, tends to go for the more, well, sane girls. The girls who won't rob a jewelry store or blow up your local planet. He goes for the straight laced Lois Lane types that okay, won't take any guff, but also won't do anything like assassinating the heads of any companies they don't like.

Over All: Bruce Wayne.

DraxtonSmitz
2006-06-15, 03:29 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OK WE GET IT ALREADY BATMAN ALWAYS FROG KING WINS!

But seriously. No preperation can EVER make up for Supes ability to move near or > the speed of light!

Superman always wins.

Tokeloshe
2006-06-15, 04:01 PM
Hey, Batman can't beat Bat-Pun-Pun.

Beleriphon
2006-06-15, 05:13 PM
If you mean who wins at life? Clark is much better off in the long run. He's married to the wonderful Lois Lane, he has a stable normal relationship with his friends, and he's not completely nuts.

From the cool factor perspective, so Bruce Wayne. Billionaire playboy, niffty cave under the mansion, mansion, cars, and he's Batman. Of course he's also completely nuts.

Edit:

The Daily Planet isn't supposed to be badly run, in the DC universe it is the equal of the London Times or New York Times in terms of journalistic integrity (certain things with the NY Times not withstanding) and quality. So Clark is actually a reasonably successful reporter for a well respected and quality news magazine. Lois is the one that is the star of the paper, Clark is sort of her sidekick in that regard.

Edit: fixed one word

Tarlonniel
2006-06-15, 05:19 PM
Erm, when did the Daily Planet go from being one of the country's biggest news organizations to a badly run newspaper? :P And Clark is obviously not incompetent or he wouldn't have his job (plus a Pulitzer Prize). Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, was traditionally represented as a figurehead for Wayne enterprises with no influence on actual operations. Which makes sense given his rather consuming night job.

So professionally, I say it goes to Kent.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-06-15, 06:18 PM
I have to agree that in "Who has a better life", which is really the only meaningful versus here, Clark Kent wins. Especially if we go all the way and remove their superhero identities entirely.

Why? In the comics, when some sentient wish-granting energy field or something split the JL into their superhero and regular identities, Batman was suddenly completely ineffective. For even though Bruce Wayne's true self is Batman, the tragedy that is at the heart of everything that is Batman belongs to Bruce Wayne.

Conversely, Bruce Wayne became nigh sociopathic: someone laid a finger on his car and he responded by breaking the kid's arm in three places. If Bruce hadn't become Batman, that's who he'd be...

CelestialStick
2006-06-15, 07:11 PM
Erm, when did the Daily Planet go from being one of the country's biggest news organizations to a badly run newspaper? :P And Clark is obviously not incompetent or he wouldn't have his job (plus a Pulitzer Prize). Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, was traditionally represented as a figurehead for Wayne enterprises with no influence on actual operations. Which makes sense given his rather consuming night job.

So professionally, I say it goes to Kent.
Yes, I have to agree with you here. Bruce might seem cooler to the juvenile male mind, but Clark actually has the better life and is the better friend and person.

Steward
2006-06-15, 09:04 PM
There's something I've always noticed about those two.

With Clark, it seems as if 'Clark Kent' is the real person and 'Superman' is the thing that he does on the side.

With Bruce, it seems as if 'Batman' is the real person and 'Bruce Wayne' is the secret identity.

Because of that, I'd have to vote for Clark. A person who considers himself real is better to me than a person who considers himself a facade.

sun_tzu
2006-06-16, 02:47 AM
Clarck will be leading the better life, but if they oppose each other, Bruce can kick his butt. Good fighter, billioanire, extremely driven, and very, very smart, despite the front he puts

KayJay
2006-06-16, 04:49 AM
Bruce Wayne the billionaire isn't meant to be good at martial arts is he? That's meant to be Batman.

Steward
2006-06-17, 12:38 PM
Bruce Wayne the billionaire isn't meant to be good at martial arts is he? That's meant to be Batman.

Shh! Deification!

Tokeloshe
2006-06-17, 02:56 PM
Nope, Bruce is the one who got all of that Martial arts training, whereas he adopted the Batman - persona much later in his life. Indeed, without the things which made him Batman (the gadgets, the car, etc) Bruce would still be a formidable fighter.

As to what makes White's newspaper not terribly good? Well, how often do they run non-Superman related stories and just what does Clark actually ever report on? The newspaper is a front for Collumbian Druglords I tell you! :P

Lord Herman
2006-06-17, 04:57 PM
Bruce Wayne has a gun. I don't remember Clark Kent having a gun. Ergo, Bruce Wayne wins.

That said, I have never read a single Superman comic, so maybe Clark has secretly bought a gun in one of them.

CelestialStick
2006-06-17, 07:19 PM
Bruce Wayne has a gun. I don't remember Clark Kent having a gun. Ergo, Bruce Wayne wins.

That said, I have never read a single Superman comic, so maybe Clark has secretly bought a gun in one of them.
Well I have five guns. I shoot Bruce, and then Clark wins. :D

KayJay
2006-06-18, 08:27 AM
Nope, Bruce is the one who got all of that Martial arts training, whereas he adopted the Batman - persona much later in his life. Indeed, without the things which made him Batman (the gadgets, the car, etc) Bruce would still be a formidable fighter.

As to what makes White's newspaper not terribly good? Well, how often do they run non-Superman related stories and just what does Clark actually ever report on? The newspaper is a front for Collumbian Druglords I tell you! :P
I'm referring to Bruce Wayne the personality. That's like saying that because Clark exhibited superpowers before becoming Superman then Clark'd still have all of his powers. If we were to split up the two people, then I always invision Bruce (how he acts when not Batman) as something of a womanising fop, while Batman is the tough as nails hard guy. That's how he normally acts in his Bruce role anyway.
The Batman training I'd attribute to Batman, not Bruce Wayne.

CelestialStick
2006-06-18, 03:09 PM
I'm referring to Bruce Wayne the personality. That's like saying that because Clark exhibited superpowers before becoming Superman then Clark'd still have all of his powers. If we were to split up the two people, then I always invision Bruce (how he acts when not Batman) as something of a womanising fop, while Batman is the tough as nails hard guy. That's how he normally acts in his Bruce role anyway.
The Batman training I'd attribute to Batman, not Bruce Wayne.
Well it's all very confusing, isn't it? Bruce Wayne but not Batman versus Clark Kent but not Superman. :D