PDA

View Full Version : My favorite 3.5 feat....

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 11:54 AM
SNEAK ATTACK OF OPPORTUNITY [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Sneak attack +8d6, opportunist class feature.
Benefit: Any attack of opportunity the character makes is considered a sneak attack. from the SRD. I just think it sounds fun.

WoodenSword
2010-05-14, 11:58 AM
My faves are Otherworldly and Maximize Spell.

I mean, FREE outsider type and a +2 diplomacy for your 1st level feat?!

and maximize spell, the spellcaster staple metamagic. Because who wants to roll 500d12?

Divide by Zero
2010-05-14, 11:58 AM
I much prefer Spell Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellOpportunity) for that purpose, personally.

Edit:

Because who wants to roll 500d12?

Who doesn't?

Greenish
2010-05-14, 12:00 PM
Animal Devotion is perhaps my favourite feat. "Fly if you want, I'll just grow wings and come after you!"

As for funny descriptions, I love the one on Poor Reflexes flaw: "You often zig when you should have zagged".

WoodenSword
2010-05-14, 12:04 PM
Who doesn't?

I'd rather just max damage personally. I had to roll that out....It was a pain in the bottom

an Sea Spiritfolk Fire Domain Wizard who had every "increase Effective Spellcaster Level" feats so by 10, my spells were treated as Epic. I was 25th level. Disintegrate against Tiamat. I had to roll all of that out and count it.

gbprime
2010-05-14, 12:05 PM
Well Epic feats are just that... epic. Perhaps rephrase the thread to favorite NON-Epic feat?

That in mind, my favorite feat is Minor Shapeshift. I mean, free action temporary hit points (equal to HD, not caster level) for your arcane caster whenever you want? Win.

Ormagoden
2010-05-14, 12:06 PM
I think versatile spellcaster is my favorite.

Mongoose87
2010-05-14, 12:11 PM

Early entry FTW!

Ormagoden
2010-05-14, 12:13 PM
Early entry FTW!

For me it's less that, and more the Versatility.

:smallwink:

Critical
2010-05-14, 12:16 PM
Improved Initiative, just because you can add it, basically, to anything and you won't go wrong. :smallbiggrin:

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 01:05 PM
I'd rather just max damage personally. I had to roll that out....It was a pain in the bottom

Well, you should keep a laptop handy with E-Tools or a home-made dice-roller program handy. Not as viscerally satisfying as rolling the die, but far more practical when you need 500 of them.

If anyone is interested in a free die-roller for Windows let me know - only take a minute to whip one up.

WoodenSword
2010-05-14, 01:09 PM
Well, you should keep a laptop handy with E-Tools or a home-made dice-roller program handy. Not as viscerally satisfying as rolling the die, but far more practical when you need 500 of them.

If anyone is interested in a free die-roller for Windows let me know - only take a minute to whip one up.

we were at a game shop. DM was the owner who banned electronics

Il_Vec
2010-05-14, 01:10 PM
Power Attack.
Really.
And try picturing your barbarian trying to calculate how much he should focus on hitting and how much in hurting.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-14, 01:12 PM

He did this to basically force you to buy the books (or use his) and force you to buy dice (or use his).

Not what I'd call a cool game shop owner.

If he'd said "guys, I'd prefer if you bought your books & dice here and, like many game shop owners I've known, offered a 5-10% discount for pre-ordering books/dice/minis... then it'd be okay.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 01:16 PM

I never do that. We meet at one of our group members' houses - whose depends on a number of factors. We meet at Brian's house most of the time, since he's allergic to dogs. We met at my house until I got a dog - didn't know he was allergic....

Skaven
2010-05-14, 01:21 PM
Improved Initiative, just because you can add it, basically, to anything and you won't go wrong. :smallbiggrin:

This.

There's like, NOBODY who can't add this feat and regret taking it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-14, 01:24 PM
... TWF FTW!!!! and possibly EWP (Eagle claw, valenar double scimitar or spiked chain)

gbprime
2010-05-14, 01:29 PM
He did this to basically force you to buy the books (or use his) and force you to buy dice (or use his).

Not what I'd call a cool game shop owner.

If he'd said "guys, I'd prefer if you bought your books & dice here and, like many game shop owners I've known, offered a 5-10% discount for pre-ordering books/dice/minis... then it'd be okay.

I disagree. I'd call him a COOL shop owner. Why? Because he gives you a place to hang out and to play.

Are you going to repay him by downloading pirated rule PDF's and getting all your other stuff 50% off from online stores? Where's the store-owner's incentive here?

SHOP WHERE YOU PLAY. It's only fair.

In fact, I'm adding that to my SIG. :smallamused:

lsfreak
2010-05-14, 01:35 PM
Linked Power
Shock Trooper
Stormguard Warrior
Gloom Razor

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 01:41 PM
I disagree. I'd call him a COOL shop owner. Why? Because he gives you a place to hang out and to play.
SHOP WHERE YOU PLAY. It's only fair.

Is he banning electronics because he's the DM or because he doesn't want you using PDF books? There are piles of utilities and documents that are available for your computer that your cool shop owner doesn't even sell - no competition there. My dice-rolling program included (no one sells it - I wrote it, and I give it away for FREE). Not to mention that I type faster than I write - game journal anyone?

Petty restriction is petty.....

Curmudgeon
2010-05-14, 01:42 PM
Craven and Savvy Rogue. Both give a good return on your investment for the feat-starved Rogue class, because they provide improved benefits as you gain either character levels (Craven) or Rogue special features (Savvy Rogue).

Eldariel
2010-05-14, 01:50 PM
Knowledge Devotion, because it's the perfect marriage between function/fairness and investment/return. It's also useful for martials especially (though unfortunately especially gishes), and works great with archery (few things do).

WorstDMEver
2010-05-14, 01:51 PM
Craven and Savvy Rogue. Both give a good return on your investment for the feat-starved Rogue class, because they provide improved benefits as you gain either character levels (Craven) or Rogue special features (Savvy Rogue).

Where you find those?

Eldariel
2010-05-14, 01:52 PM
Where you find those?

Craven is in Champions of Ruin, Savvy Rogue is in Complete Scoundrel.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-14, 01:54 PM
I agree with Knowledge Devotion...

You know a feat is practically broken when every character with an Int over 11 is getting it, no matter what their class is.

gbprime
2010-05-14, 01:55 PM
Craven is in Champions of Ruin, Savvy Rogue is in Complete Scoundrel.

Savvy Rogue is awesome. Man did the DM look at me funny the first time I said I was gonna take 12 on a roll. :smallbiggrin:

lsfreak
2010-05-14, 01:57 PM
Craven is Champions of Ruin. Savvy Rogue I'm fairly sure in Complete Scoundrel.

I suppose I should have elaborated on my choices before.

Linked Power just because it's fun. And one of the few ways a martial character can bend the action economy.

Shock Trooper because it's such a staple. Combined with the Stone Dragon manuevers and/or Dungeoncrasher and/or Knockback and/or a few shield tricks, it becomes even more fun.

Stormguard Warrior just because of the interesting things it does. Especially for non-precision TWF, since it's one of the only ways to actually make it work.

Gloom Razor is just fun. It's what a feat should do - it's not a no-brainer/'feat tax' (term used loosely), it gives you more options, it's fun, and it doesn't break something. Which is fairly rare for a feat.

You know a feat is practically broken when every character with an Int over 11 is getting it, no matter what their class is.
Or maybe it says something about how poorly implemented Weapon Focus and the like were.

industrious
2010-05-14, 01:59 PM
Font of Inspiration.

WoodenSword
2010-05-14, 02:02 PM
Shock Trooper because it's such a staple. Combined with the Stone Dragon manuevers and/or Dungeoncrasher and/or Knockback and/or a few shield tricks, it becomes even more fun.

Captain America Build anyone?!

Curmudgeon
2010-05-14, 02:08 PM
A fun combination for combat-focused Rogues is Education (all Knowledges are class skills) + Savvy Rogue + Knowledge Devotion. "Take 12" on all your maxed-out Knowledges so you can be guaranteed +5 to hit and damage everything by about level 16. Or, in other words, you'll out-hit full-BAB melee types.

Add Craven and a keen rapier and (with sneak attack) you'll out-damage them, too.

Greenish
2010-05-14, 02:12 PM
Font of Inspiration.I'm not too fond of it, personally. Factotums and inspiration points are great fun, but FoI requires you to burn at least a couple of feats to get your money's worth, and even then it only gives more of the same.

gdiddy
2010-05-14, 02:14 PM
Flavorful, fun. Never get's old. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls)

Draz74
2010-05-14, 02:19 PM
+1 vote against Font of Inspiration.

[snip]versatile spellcaster ...

For me it's less that, and more the Versatility.

:smallwink:

Almost makes you feel like you're playing a Psionic character, huh? :smallwink:

RandomLunatic
2010-05-14, 02:25 PM
Technically, it is 3rd party, and 3.0, but I have always had a soft spot for I Meant It When I Killed You The First Time. I took it once, and the name pretty much became the character's catch phrase (the BBEG was a lich).

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-05-14, 02:35 PM
Are you going to repay him by downloading pirated rule PDF's and getting all your other stuff 50% off from online stores?

In fact, I'm adding that to my SIG. :smallamused:He didn't lose anything.

And you just sigg'd yourself. You have a lot of mirrors at your house, don't you? :smalltongue:

OP: Spirited Charge or Hidden Talent

PId6
2010-05-14, 03:22 PM
Collegiate Wizard, Summon Elemental, Law Devotion, and Martial Study.

Collegiate Wizard I almost always take on my wizard builds, just because it makes dealing with spellbooks a lot less painful. I love having access to a lot of different spells, and doubling my spells learned per level is just so useful for reducing bookkeeping as well as cost. I usually prefer sorcerers, and this feat + Uncanny Forethought and Spontaneous Divination turns wizards into sorcerers with an absurdly high spells known.

Summon Elemental is just a fun feat in general. It's incredibly versatile, allowing for easy trapfinding and scouting, and even has combat uses. It really expands the arsenal of any conjurer who loves Summon Monster.

Law Devotion has become a staple of my martial characters. It provides a very high scaling bonus to either attack or AC, which is very helpful for allowing you to decide what's needed at the time you need it. A cloistered cleric dip to pick up Law Devotion + Knowledge Devotion is just fantastic on nearly any martial character.

Martial Study is hugely versatile as well, and I really like adding some ToB to every character I build. Whether it's for getting White Raven Tactics on my swordsage or getting Shadow Hand maneuvers for my rogue character, I always enjoy what this feat can give. And if I've extra feats to spend, I'd usually pick this over Improved Initiative since it's much more interesting.

Il_Vec
2010-05-14, 04:17 PM
My new favorite feats are Marks of War, Marks of Questing and Unlocking the Name and Unlocking the Essence.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-14, 04:23 PM
My new favorite feats are Marks of War, Marks of Questing and Unlocking the Name and Unlocking the Essence.

Still trying to persuade my DM to let me use a Warmarked...

Optimystik
2010-05-14, 04:35 PM
Hard for me to pick just one... though Natural Spell and Tashalatora are definitely in the top 10 :smallsmile:

Panigg
2010-05-14, 04:48 PM
Quick Draw.

Can't beat quick draw.

Shademan
2010-05-14, 04:48 PM
that feat that allows you throw sand in your enemies eyes.
yes...apparantly we need feats for that

Greenish
2010-05-14, 04:52 PM
Still trying to persuade my DM to let me use a Warmarked...Warmarked are made to compete with full casters of that level. If your groups' optimization skills are low, your DM is fully in his rights to ban them. (And to ban optimized spellcasters).

Zergrusheddie
2010-05-14, 04:58 PM
Leadership by far. Turn your Tier 6 character into a Tier 1 game breaker!

Niro
2010-05-14, 05:08 PM
Dirty Fighting
because I just love that extra 1d4 damage for fighting dirty

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-14, 05:09 PM
Warmarked are made to compete with full casters of that level. If your groups' optimization skills are low, your DM is fully in his rights to ban them. (And to ban optimized spellcasters).

Optimization levels are reasonable, if a bit variable. I understand his decision, but that doesn't make me want to play a Warmarked any less... :smallfrown:

Pluto
2010-05-14, 05:32 PM
Ocular Spell. No question.

Thurbane
2010-05-14, 08:11 PM
Bind Vestige (and it's follow on feats). Adds some versatility to any character, and has no prereqs.

theos911
2010-05-14, 08:37 PM
Melodic Casting, Not very versatile, but is AMAZING for bards. Should I play my lute or cast shout? BOTH! Oh and btw he can use perform instead of concentration while playing and casting. It's like when he's distracted he just goes LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU *BOOM*(Goes Spell) Music continues.

Escheton
2010-05-14, 08:59 PM
Curling wave strike. Extra trip against second foe in reach instead of the follow up attack of improved trip.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-14, 09:17 PM
Curling wave strike. Extra trip against second foe in reach instead of the follow up attack of improved trip.

Where is that from?

strider24seven
2010-05-14, 09:23 PM
Depends on the situation.

Ocular spell, but only with grafts. With eye grafts, you can shoot rays from anywhere, even places you would never expect to see rays (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872566/Not_The_Bees!_Silly_Builds_Thread?pg=1). (It's the second spoiler down).

Battle Jump from Unapproachable East, but only with Shadow Pounce, shock trooper, and Tome of Battle Shadow Hand shenanigans.

Poison Healer, but only if you have snakes in your pants (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860262/The_Trouserfang_Dwarf:_A_Rebirth) or copious amounts of fuel... I mean ale. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838)

Frozen Berzerker from Frostburn is fun only if you have Blazing Berzerker from Sandstorm. And have levels in Frostrager, so you are frozen inferno, immune to fire and healed by cold.

And Tashalatora is awesome for King of Smack and Black Blood Cultist builds.

Aethir
2010-05-14, 09:35 PM
Hardened Criminal. Take 10 on checks with any one skill? Even when threatened? And you gain immunity to Intimidate stuffs?

Did I mention it's thematically appropriate to take after getting its pre-req (Iron Will) from an Otyugh Hole?

Love it.

Roderick_BR
2010-05-14, 10:07 PM
My current favorite is Awesome Smite (Complete Champion, I think). When you smite with power attack, you can Knock Back, or ignore part of a creature's Damage Reduction, or, the best part, completely ignore miss chance. Invisible, blinking, mirror imaged, incorporeal enemy? I hit you anyway.
The DR thing gets obsolete with Pathfinder's Paladin, but the other two becomes much more powerful, since Smite Evil lasts several rounds.

Amphetryon
2010-05-14, 10:09 PM
Tomb-Tainted Soul.

GenPol
2010-05-14, 10:13 PM
In order:
1) Frightful Presence -- Just plain cool, really.
2) Leadership -- Ridiculously broken...
3) Quick Draw -- Always helpful, always awesome!

Improved Initiative and Kiai Shout get honorable mentions.

Thurbane
2010-05-14, 10:22 PM
Hardened Criminal. Take 10 on checks with any one skill? Even when threatened? And you gain immunity to Intimidate stuffs?
Haven't heard of this one, where's it from?

Aethir
2010-05-14, 10:45 PM
Haven't heard of this one, where's it from?

City of Stormreach, page 95.

Morithias
2010-05-15, 01:02 AM
Landlord from stronghold builder's guide. Say what you will about the original tomb of horrors, at least the traps didn't reset after you set them off.

Alcopop
2010-05-15, 01:11 AM

Very much this. Though sorc should get it as a class feature really ;p

WorstDMEver
2010-05-15, 01:26 AM
Say what you will about the original tomb of horrors, at least the traps didn't reset after you set them off.

We decided to use "alternate reality" versions of our personal characters, and still had to bring in 3 of the tourney characters before we got half way through the crypt due to deaths in the party. We made it about 75% of the way through before our DM killed all of us. I just remember really wishing I had a better thief... er, rogue. LOL - 25 years ago we played Thieves instead of Rogues. Trying to pretty up the job I guess.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-15, 01:32 AM
Spell thematics.
"Why is that wizard tossing a burger at. . .OMGFIREBALZ!"

Godskook
2010-05-15, 01:36 AM
1.Able Learner - The feat that makes me hate that Dragonborn Humans are the worst possible combination you can have.

2.Entangling Exhalation - Apparently, bad breath can tie you up.

3.Carmendine Monk - 'Cause you don't need to be a monk to qualify, oddly enough.

Morithias
2010-05-15, 06:19 AM
We decided to use "alternate reality" versions of our personal characters, and still had to bring in 3 of the tourney characters before we got half way through the crypt due to deaths in the party. We made it about 75% of the way through before our DM killed all of us. I just remember really wishing I had a better thief... er, rogue. LOL - 25 years ago we played Thieves instead of Rogues. Trying to pretty up the job I guess.

Yeah but think of it this way, every time one of your characters gets killed you have to start from the beginning of the tomb, with everything reset. One natural 1, and bam, whole tomb over again. It's just VERY unlikely you'll get through, and if your party tries to go back so you can attempt the tomb as a group, they'll likely get taken out by the traps they just passed.

Not to mention the cost to make a trap reset is only +500 gp to it's cost. Landlord on a level 20 creatures (the lich, swaped it for iron will). Not only cuts all costs of buildings in half, but also gives you 200,000 extra for free. The tomb is effectively twice as big as before.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-15, 01:33 PM
A number of the "traps" in ToH (spheres of annihilations, "mysterious mist-filled doorways") never needed resetting.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-15, 01:38 PM
Yeah but think of it this way, every time one of your characters gets killed you have to start from the beginning of the tomb, with everything reset. One natural 1, and bam, whole tomb over again. It's just VERY unlikely you'll get through, and if your party tries to go back so you can attempt the tomb as a group, they'll likely get taken out by the traps they just passed.

How old are you? I bet the module is older - and I haven't played it since the first edition. Back in my day we had rocks, sticks and AD&D for toys.... lol

Now, for the current version of Tomb of Horrors you are absolutely correct. Our DM was much nicer, and we still died. And died.

AslanCross
2010-05-15, 05:27 PM
As a player:
1. Tactical feats: mostly Shock Trooper, Stormguard Warrior and Brute Fighting.
2. Arcane Thesis: Metamagic Effects r' Us
3. Power Attack: No need to explain.

As a DM:
1. Wingover: "That dragon isn't coming back anyt---CRAP!"
2. Flyby Attack: "Here it comes! *whack* There it goes! Wait...how do we hurt it?"
3. Tactical Feats: see above

Xallace
2010-05-15, 05:40 PM
There's one in a Dragon Magazine that gives you something like 10gp/level worth of "stuff." You can whip out mundane items on the fly by subtracting their cost from the "stuff" pool. The "stuff" pool can be refilled by spending some hours in a marketplace. Definitely one of my favorites.

I also have a fondness for the feats the reward multiclassing, like Swift Hunter and Devoted Performer.

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 06:27 PM
I quite like Draconic feats, personally.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-15, 06:33 PM
Combat Reflexes, because is the first step for a crapload of things..(and following feats: BTW, in some builds, even the one the OP mentioned).

I love Tacticals, too. Most combat feats should have been that way.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-05-15, 06:36 PM
Some of my favorite feats would have to be:
Master Spellthief - Armored Casting, Spell Thievery, and of course Caster Level Madness, all in one feat.

Warning: Links to TV Tropes follow.

Investigate - Hailing from the Eberron Campaign Setting, this feat allows you to use the search skill to Sherlock Scan (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SherlockScan). Combine with Knowledge Devotion to effectively be Awesome By Analysis (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomenessByAnalysis).

Optimization levels are reasonable, if a bit variable. I understand his decision, but that doesn't make me want to play a Warmarked any less... :smallfrown:

Where is Warmarked from? And what exactly is it?

Greenish
2010-05-15, 06:40 PM
Where is Warmarked from? And what exactly is it?The Warmarked (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQy814N0Rw6OZGdzNHBid3dfM2NjbXo5Mmcy&hl=en) and the Marks (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aclf_LtvhqMlZGhwbTc4OTlfNTYyNnh2dmM1&hl=en).

Warmarked is an attempt to homebrew a tier 1 martial character.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-05-15, 06:44 PM
The Warmarked (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQy814N0Rw6OZGdzNHBid3dfM2NjbXo5Mmcy&hl=en) and the Marks (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aclf_LtvhqMlZGhwbTc4OTlfNTYyNnh2dmM1&hl=en).

Ah, thanks.

Oh, and two more feats, which I'm frankly surprised haven't shown up before:

Divine Metamagic

Natural Spell

DeMouse
2010-05-15, 09:40 PM
improved monkey grip...

duel-wielding halberds...

impractical?

yes

AWESOME?

most definitely

Scoot
2010-05-15, 09:58 PM
Song of the Heart.

I see it as a bunch of free bard levels.

Kira_the_5th
2010-05-15, 10:14 PM
+1 votes for Song of the Heart and Collegiate Wizard, and I'll also throw in a vote for Elf Dilettante. Effectively 1 rank in every skill you don't have? Fantastic, especially with wizards, considering how many handy skills are keyed off of Int. Your Int bonus to every Knowledge, Search, Disable Device and more without having to spend any skill points on it is always welcome. One downside is you have to be an elf to take it.

Morithias
2010-05-15, 10:46 PM
Wait, I change my mind.

The Create Device feat from the Ravenloft setting. Seems bad at first cause you have to spend an extra 3000 gp to power any items you make. Until the wizard tries to disjunction your bracers of armor and you laugh pointing out that they're not magical.

AslanCross
2010-05-15, 10:49 PM
There's one in a Dragon Magazine that gives you something like 10gp/level worth of "stuff." You can whip out mundane items on the fly by subtracting their cost from the "stuff" pool. The "stuff" pool can be refilled by spending some hours in a marketplace. Definitely one of my favorites.

I also have a fondness for the feats the reward multiclassing, like Swift Hunter and Devoted Performer.

I think that one's Pack Rat or something.

Escheton
2010-05-16, 01:45 AM
Where is that from?

stormwrack

Ravens_cry
2010-05-16, 02:13 AM
Wait, I change my mind.

The Create Device feat from the Ravenloft setting. Seems bad at first cause you have to spend an extra 3000 gp to power any items you make. Until the wizard tries to disjunction your bracers of armor and you laugh pointing out that they're not magical.
Ooh, I like. Especially with a DM lenient on fluff.

imperialspectre
2010-05-16, 09:25 AM
The Warmarked (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQy814N0Rw6OZGdzNHBid3dfM2NjbXo5Mmcy&hl=en) and the Marks (https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aclf_LtvhqMlZGhwbTc4OTlfNTYyNnh2dmM1&hl=en).

It's actually more Tier 2. We wrote it more to balance versus a well-played Sorcerer than a well-played Wizard, because a well-played Wizard can't really be balanced.