PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Template Project. [PEACH]

zagan
2010-05-14, 12:10 PM
Hello fellow playgrounder. I present you:

The Template Project

A little more than a month ago I began working on a campaign for a futur pbp game on this very forum.
After much thinking I hit upon the idea of creating a world who recently undergone massive change. I debate with myself on how to go about it before finally deciding on template.
My idea was finding or creating template correponding with each base type of creature, as follow: Aberration, Animal, Celestial, Construct, Dragon, Elemental, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, Ooze, Outsider, Plant, Undead and Vermin.

In my search for template I rapidly realise that existing template just wouldn't work, too much variety in power, too few type represent and rarelly suitable for playable character.
So I just decid to begin from scratch, I'm now done with the template.
Because I was really inspired I've create feat to go with them and even a Prestige class.

I've create this thread to list everything with link to the thread where I will put each template wth the feat associate to them plus one thread for the Prc.

I will also put here the few feat that aren't link to any one template but are aviable to all of them.

Here's the template: (link to come)

Artificial (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492290#post8492290) for the Construct type
Slime (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492630#post8492630) for the Ooze type
Weed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492656#post8492656) for the Plant type
Unliving (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8497538#post8497538) for the Undead type
Energy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152559) for the Elemental type
Bizarre (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8497654#post8497654) for the Aberration type
Divided (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149287) for the Animal type
Breather (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8503459#post8503459) for the Dragon type
Seelie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8503508#post8503508) for the Fey type
Oversized (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8503533#post8503533) for the Giant type
Mundane (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8503574#post8503574) for the Humanoid type
Wonderful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152761) for the Magical Beast type
Savage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8509923#post8509923) for the Monstrous humanoid type
Exiled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8509952#post8509952) for the Outsider type
Arthropod (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8510004#post8510004) for the Vermin type

These template are all intend to be LA +1, CR +1.

And a houserule for the template:
These serie of template are incompatible a creature can never gain more than one at time, the newest one replace the effect of the previous one.
Any other template can be gained as normal.

Edit Note: When the template are applied to creature without a con score, the creature gain one of 10 + any bonus granted by the template.
An artificial zombie would have a con score of 12

Here's the Prestige class designed arounf those template: The Evolutionist. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8515719#post8515719)

Here's the spell for it, link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8522425#post8522425)

For convenience I've also create a new feat descriptor, Template.
A template feat always have one of the previous template as a prerequisite.

Here are the Feat not associate with any specific template:

Share template [Template]
You can share your transformation with your companion
Prerequisite
Artificial, Slime, Weed, Unliving, Energy, Bizarre, Divided, Breather, Seelie, Oversized, Mundane, Wonderful, Savage, Exiled or Arthropod template;
Animal companion, Familiar, Psycrystal or Special Mount;
Character level 6
Benefit
You can chose to share your template (the one that qualify you for this feat) with your animal companion, familiar, psycrystal or special mount. The creature in question must be eligible to gain the template, an animal can’t gain the divided template for example. If you have more than one companion only one of them gain the template chosen at the time you gain this feat. The template is identical to yours including any choice on your part
Special
Your companion still count as is original type for spell or effect you use if doing so would be advantageous to him.
Special
You can gain this feat multiple time each time affecting another companion
Special
An evolutionist with multiple template must chose wich one to apply to his companion, a companion can only have one template at time but if he had more than one compnaion he can chose a different template each time he take this feat.

Template summoning [Template]
You can share your transformation with your summon creature
Prerequisite
Artificial, Slime, Weed, Unliving, Energy, Bizarre, Divided, Breather, Seelie, Oversized, Mundane, Wonderful, Savage, Exiled or Arthropod template;
Caster level 9; Augment summoning
Benefit
Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains your template if applicable. (Magical beast can’t gain the Wonderful template for example). The template is identical to yours including any choice on your part
Special
An evolutionist with multiple template must chose wich one to apply to the summoned creature but can change is choice each time he use a summoning spell.

Template addition [Template]
You can share your transformation with your astral construct
Prerequisite
Slime, Weed, Unliving, Energy, Bizarre, Divided, Breather, Seelie, Oversized, Mundane, Wonderful, Savage, Exiled or Arthropod template;
Manifester level 9; Boost construct
Benefit
When you manifest an astral construct she gain your template. The template is identical to yours including any choice on your part.
Special
An evolutionist with multiple template must chose wich one to apply to the astral construct but can change is choice each time he use the power.

Diversify spell [Metamagic]
You can modify your spell to affect more type of creature
Prerequisite
Caster level 6, Spellcraft 9 rank, Knowledge (any two) each 9 rank
Benefit
You can alter a spell that target a specific type of creature to instead target any kind of creature . A diversified spell uses up a spell slot three level higher than the spell’s actual level.
Spells who don’t target creature can’t be affected by this feat.

DracoDei
2010-05-14, 06:26 PM
Interesting concept.

I would explicitly state in the first post of THIS thread that they are all going to be CR +1, LA +1.

If you can get someone to correct your grammar it would be nice, but it isn't required.

zagan
2010-05-15, 04:37 AM
Interesting concept.

I would explicitly state in the first post of THIS thread that they are all going to be CR +1, LA +1.

If you can get someone to correct your grammar it would be nice, but it isn't required.

The La is mainly if other want to use the template. (hey I can dream) My player will get it for free, it will be a gestalt game and they will all have one. And the CR is for me (or other dm) that want to use it on monsters.
But I will indicated it in the post.

Yeah, I'm sorry about the grammar, english isn't my native language and I very often do stupid mistake. I'll try to reread multiple time but it doesn't always help.

DracoDei
2010-05-15, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry about the grammar, english isn't my native language and I very often do stupid mistake. I'll try to reread multiple time but it doesn't always help.
If I thought it was anything else than this I probably would have expressed annoyance at you. Don't be stressed by it.

zagan
2010-05-15, 05:54 AM
If I thought it was anything else than this I probably would have expressed annoyance at you. Don't be stressed by it.

Thanks for that, any big one that jumped at you ?

EDIT: Today I've post the Unliving, Energy, Bizarre and Divided template. Tomorrow four more.

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 02:27 PM
You might want to say if they are acquired or inherited, or either.

zagan
2010-05-15, 02:41 PM
You might want to say if they are acquired or inherited, or either.

Both.:smallwink:
At the start of the campaign they will be acquired but after that if the campaign last long enough the player will start seeing children born with them.
Why the question ? Is there any rule that depend on the classification ?

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 02:44 PM
Both.:smallwink:
At the start of the campaign they will be acquired but after that if the campaign last long enough the player will start seeing children born with them.
Why the question ? Is there any rule that depend on the classification ?

Just for template stacking. Some acquired templates require certain creature types. It's just good to point out.

Also, construct babies? :smalleek:

zagan
2010-05-15, 02:58 PM
Just for template stacking. Some acquired templates require certain creature types. It's just good to point out.

I won't go into the mechanic but yes it will be possible. Perhaps rarer than most though.

Forever Curious
2010-05-15, 03:39 PM

A wizard artificer did it. :smallbiggrin:

Yay, a functional Ooze-based template. I approve already.

zagan
2010-05-15, 03:44 PM
A wizard artificer did it. :smallbiggrin:

Yay, a functional Ooze-based template. I approve already.

I wont say who did it, it's a plot point.

And yes I'm proud of that template the only approching one is gelatinous in savage species and the type change for some reason to aberration. In addition it's Npc only.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-15, 05:14 PM
This is really cool. Nice and simply ways to become something very different and memorable, with little LA. I may have to try these in games I get into, if I can find anything they fit in.

zagan
2010-05-16, 04:53 AM
This is really cool. Nice and simply ways to become something very different and memorable, with little LA. I may have to try these in games I get into, if I can find anything they fit in.

I'm glad you like it. I you manage to try it don't hesitate to tell me how it work out.

Volthawk
2010-05-16, 04:54 AM
I'm glad you like it. I you manage to try it don't hesitate to tell me how it work out.

I'll probably use them in a campaign of mine too. Fits the whole idea of an organization in the campaign.

zagan
2010-05-16, 07:22 AM
I'll probably use them in a campaign of mine too. Fits the whole idea of an organization in the campaign.

I'm glad, can I ask what sort of organization ?

Volthawk
2010-05-16, 07:25 AM
I'm glad, can I ask what sort of organization ?

Oh, a secret network Illithid-draconic alliance. The PCs got caught, and are being helped to escape. Been lloking things I could use for all the 'experiments'.

zagan
2010-05-16, 07:44 AM
Oh, a secret network Illithid-draconic alliance. The PCs got caught, and are being helped to escape. Been lloking things I could use for all the 'experiments'.

In that case yes they work well, I will post today the breather template for dragon that could go with the draconic part of your alliance.

EDIT: Today I've post the Breather, Seelie, Oversized and Mundane template.

Beschoren
2010-05-16, 09:07 PM
how will the breath wepon work with a breather dragon shaman?

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-16, 09:32 PM
How would it even interact with the DS's breath weapon in the first place? He just has two breath weapons instead of one now.

Also, to the OP, you mention an evolutionist in some of the feats listed on the first post. Could you be referring to Draken's homebrew class? Because if you are, you should reconsider involving it at all. It's... broken to be somewhat blunt.

zagan
2010-05-17, 06:05 AM
how will the breath wepon work with a breather dragon shaman?

They can use both but they have the same down time so if you use one you need to wait 1d4 round as normal before you can breath again with any of your breath weapon. It's the official Wotc rulling I believe.
But I might make a feat that make them have separate recharge time.

How would it even interact with the DS's breath weapon in the first place? He just has two breath weapons instead of one now.

Also, to the OP, you mention an evolutionist in some of the feats listed on the first post. Could you be referring to Draken's homebrew class? Because if you are, you should reconsider involving it at all. It's... broken to be somewhat blunt.

The evolutionist is my own Prc that goes with the this project. I will post it tomorow.
I was unaware that someone else has done one with the same name.
I wasn't really sure what to name it, templationist or mutationist are horrible name so I settle on evolutionist but once I've post the class I'll be more than willing to hear better idea for it.

Edit: All the feat are now post, tomorow the Prc. I would like to hear your opinion on the balance betwen the template. Are they roughly equal or at least none are really inferior ?

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 12:40 PM
Now they're all up, I'm putting an NPC in with all of them in my game.

zagan
2010-05-17, 12:55 PM
Now they're all up, I'm putting an NPC in with all of them in my game.

That's great, you'll have to tell me how it will go.

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 12:57 PM
That's great, you'll have to tell me how it will go.

Making him, I found an interesting thing, as I was combining Voidmind with Divided. I thought that maybe the flayers control the body, and the bursts of control override the mind control. Gonna be kinda cool, as some of the NPCs try to take control of their own bodies.

zagan
2010-05-17, 01:01 PM
Making him, I found an interesting thing, as I was combining Voidmind with Divided. I thought that maybe the flayers control the body, and the bursts of control override the mind control. Gonna be kinda cool, as some of the NPCs try to take control of their own bodies.

Yes, that's a very nice combo.

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 01:03 PM
Yes, that's a very nice combo.

Also, Mr.All 15 templates+Voidmind is a Changeling, with the Warshaper PrC.

Scratch that, way too high CR.

zagan
2010-05-17, 01:38 PM
Also, Mr.All 15 templates+Voidmind is a Changeling, with the Warshaper PrC.

You want to kill your player ?

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 01:39 PM
You want to kill your player ?

I sorta figured out it was too high CR.

Theodoxus
2010-05-17, 02:09 PM
This is very cool - I'm in the process of writing up a campaign in which all the players will be constructs, but didn't want them to be warforged.

I'm planning on offering any race they want to play (up to LA +1) and be converted statwise to living constructs. Your template is exactly what I was planning on writing up (so thanks for saving me the processing time!)

For those curious, the game will take place in an alternate dimension Faerun/Eberron hybrid (the planet will be Faerun, as all the players are familiar with the setting - but I'll be bringing in copious amounts of Eberron). They'll all 'wake up' after 100 years from their date of creation, and their first task will be to escape the creation forge deep in the jungles of Chault. It's a bit like "9" meets "Resident Evil". Instead of zombies (well, there might be zombies) it'll be a lot of warforged running amok.

As the campaign progresses, the players will find out that they were actually created as a last ditch effort to thwart the war. Now they'll need to figure out how to go back in time and reverse the carnage - or, if they like the world as it is, learn to live within it.

My hope is to leave it as open ended as possible, but use moralistic choices to let the characters mature. For good or ill - they're the only salvation available.

zagan
2010-05-17, 02:22 PM
I sorta figured out it was too high CR.

Well CR+1*15 doesn't equal CR+15 because the creature wouldn't have enough HD to survivve anything but with that many ability i'm not sure you'll get the chance to use them all.
But Changelling warshaperr are know to be powerfull.
I think that the encounter could work if the spirit use burst of control at a crucial moment to attack her master in that case it coul turn in the PC favor.
I'm currently working on a few spell/power to go with the template one of them will granted an immediate burst of control to the spirit of a divided creature perhaps if the changelling survive your PC could find it in the illithid note and use it to gain it's help ?

This is very cool - I'm in the process of writing up a campaign in which all the players will be constructs, but didn't want them to be warforged.

I'm planning on offering any race they want to play (up to LA +1) and be converted statwise to living constructs. Your template is exactly what I was planning on writing up (so thanks for saving me the processing time!)

For those curious, the game will take place in an alternate dimension Faerun/Eberron hybrid (the planet will be Faerun, as all the players are familiar with the setting - but I'll be bringing in copious amounts of Eberron). They'll all 'wake up' after 100 years from their date of creation, and their first task will be to escape the creation forge deep in the jungles of Chault. It's a bit like "9" meets "Resident Evil". Instead of zombies (well, there might be zombies) it'll be a lot of warforged running amok.

As the campaign progresses, the players will find out that they were actually created as a last ditch effort to thwart the war. Now they'll need to figure out how to go back in time and reverse the carnage - or, if they like the world as it is, learn to live within it.

My hope is to leave it as open ended as possible, but use moralistic choices to let the characters mature. For good or ill - they're the only salvation available.

I'm so proud I could burst ! Two people will use my work that's so freaking awesome. Good luck with your campaign I hope your player will enjoy it.

Volthawk
2010-05-17, 02:23 PM
Well CR+1*15 doesn't equal CR+15 because the creature wouldn't have enough HD to survivve anything but with that many ability i'm not sure you'll get the chance to use them all.
But Changelling warshaperr are know to be powerfull.
I think that the encounter could work if the spirit use burst of control at a crucial moment to attack her master in that case it coul turn in the PC favor.
I'm currently working on a few spell/power to go with the template one of them will granted an immediate burst of control to the spirit of a divided creature perhaps if the changelling survive your PC could find it in the illithid note and use it to gain it's help ?

Yeah, maybe. Ah well, early days now anyway in the campaign.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-17, 02:42 PM
so when is this PRC coming? It sounds like it'll be awesome.

zagan
2010-05-17, 02:50 PM
so when is this PRC coming? It sounds like it'll be awesome.

Tomorow, I don't want to post too much at the same time that way you can comment and I can respond to each part separatly.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-17, 04:21 PM
Ah, excellent.

I like your later templates (especially the last set) the most I think (Though all are very good). They seem to capture more of the flavor of the type. At least, to me. Not sure how that could be done with others though, or I'd offer a suggestion. Keeping it a low LA is also difficult, i'm sure.

zagan
2010-05-17, 04:38 PM
Ah, excellent.

I like your later templates (especially the last set) the most I think (Though all are very good). They seem to capture more of the flavor of the type. At least, to me. Not sure how that could be done with others though, or I'd offer a suggestion. Keeping it a low LA is also difficult, i'm sure.

Yes, that's the hard part. It's why I create (or used) some subtype for the first few template and why they're less flavorfull. Their number of immunity mean less ability gained.

Edit: And the evolutionist is posted, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8515719#post8515719)

zagan
2010-05-23, 10:08 AM
For this interest i've begun recruiting for the game here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8547222#post8547222)

sidhe3141
2010-06-01, 11:07 PM
For those feats you might want to split up the requirements with semicolons instead of commas; nested lists can be a bit clumsy if you don't.

zagan
2010-06-02, 05:31 AM
For those feats you might want to split up the requirements with semicolons instead of commas; nested lists can be a bit clumsy if you don't.

Excellent suggestion, I will do that. thanks.