PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Template project: Artificial template [Peach]

zagan
2010-05-14, 12:17 PM
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6053/badgermech.jpg
An Artificial badger

Artificial Template: (acquired)
The Artificial template can be add to any non-Construct:
Size and type: Size remain unchanged, type change to Construct with the Living construct subtype (see spoiler:)
Constructs (Living Construct):
Trait:
- Unlike other construct a living constructs has a Constitution score.
- Unlike other construct a living constructs does not have low-light vision or Darkvision
- Unlike other construct a living constructs is not immune to mind-affecting spell and ability
- Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain
- A living construct doesn’t heal lethal damage naturaly
- Unlike other construct a living constructs are subject to critical hit, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain and death effects or necromancy effects
- A living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living constructs can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living constructs is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a living contructs.
- The unusual physical construction of living constructs makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don't affect living creatures. A living constructs takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a living constructs is affected by repel metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. A living constructs is repelled by repel wood. The iron in the body of a living constructs makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster's ability modifier). A living constructs takes the same damage from a rust monster's touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only, and thus cannot be used on the stone and wood parts of a living constructs.
- A living constructs responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living constructs with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living constructs is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living constructs does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
- A living constructs can be raised or resurrected.
- A living constructs does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but he can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
- Although living constructs do not need to sleep, a living constructs wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

Hit Dice: All racial Hit dice (including those gain after the application of this template) become d10

Base Attack Bonus: Bab change to 3/4 racial Hit dice

Attack: An Artificial gain a slam attack.

Full attack: An Artificial can use is slam attack as a secondary attack during full attack with a -5 penality to it’s attack roll

Damage: The slam attack deal damage appropriate for it’s size (1d4 for medium creature) +1,5 Str mod if it’s the creature only natural weapon and used as primary attack, + Str mod if the creature posses other natural attack and use it as a primary attack + 1/2 Str mod if use as a secondary attack

Special abilities: An Artificial retains all the base creature special abilities except for Poison, Disease and Energy drain attack. (The DM may choose to add other form of attack to this list if he deem them not fitting for construct)

Special qualities: An Artificial lose all the trait from its previous type but otherwise keep all the base creature special qualities except Regeneration and Scent. (The DM may choose to add other quality to this list if he deem them not fitting for construct). An Artificial also gain Light fortification and Elemental reaction.

Base save Bonus: All saving throw from racial hit dice become poor

Abilities: +2 Constitution

Skills: 2+Int per hit dice (x4 for the first), and Craft is always a class skill artificial creature. Like a Warforged an Artificial can use the craft skill to repair herself. (For detail see ECS p46)

Feats: Same as base creature, but artificial creature qualify for Warforged feat (but not Adamantine body, Mythral body and Ironwood body because Artificial don’t have composite plating)

Challenge Rating: +1

Level adjustement: +1

Light fortification(Ex): Crtical hit, sneak attack and similar ability have 25% chance of being negate.

Elemental reaction(Su): When subject to any effect dealing a certain type of energy damage, chosen when this template is gained among Acid, Cold, Electricity or Fire, an Artificial can forgo any saving throw taking full damage but gaining the benefit of an Haste spell for 1 minute.

*Note on cosmetic change: An artificial creature is composed mostly of metal ranging from black to silver. She still posses a little of what could pass for blood or a least a form of oil.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Template Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492255#post8492255)

Designer note:

I think I need to add at least one ability to make it on par with the other template otherwise it's just a template that transformed any race into a warforged.

And here's the feat I made for it:

Artificial armor [Template]
Your body is covered with an armor fused to your body
Prerequisite
Artificial template
Benefit
You gain a composite plating like a warforged, granting you a +2 armor bonus to AC that count as light armor and as a 5% arcane spell faillure
Special
This feat can only be taken at 1st level during character creation
Special
If you have this feat you can take Adamantine body, Mythral body or Ironwood body feat even if your not 1st level.
Special
A fighter may select this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Only one because they have acces to warforged feat, but I might made more later.

EDIT: I'm made a few change, I've add light fortification, +2 constitution and a small ability elemental reaction. It's situational but balanced I think.

A few more feat by sidhe3141

Craft Spare Parts [Item Creation]
You may prepare extra components for repairing constructs.
Prerequisites: Int 16; Craft (weaponsmith), Craft (armorsmith), Craft (mechanika) [Iron Kingdoms], or other appropriate Craft skill (DM's discretion) 6 ranks; caster level 3rd.
Benefit: You may create spare parts. Creating a spare part takes one day for each 10 gp of the part's crafting cost (rounded up). A spare part costs 10 gp per 1 hp that it can heal. Installing a spare part into a construct is a full-round action. Installing a spare part into oneself takes two full-round actions. When the spare part is installed, the construct recovers the part's full amount of hp (up to its normal maximum).

Grafted Weapon [Template]
You have a weapon attached to you.
Prerequisites: Artificial template, Artificial Armor, Weapon Focus (selected weapon), spend 50 gp.
Benefit: Chose one weapon, you can graft this weapon to replace of your hand (some weapon may require you tht use of the other hand to use properly) this process take one day.
The selected weapon is now considered a natural weapon and a manufactured weapon for all purpose, including itterative attack or secondary attack.
Special: The selected weapon must be a masterwork manufactured weapon that was not created by magic or any other such effect, although it may have been enhanced by such.
Special: You may take this feat twice, selecting a different manufactured weapon each time, but this limit uou to only one hand.

DracoDei
2010-05-14, 06:33 PM
I have long been of the opinion that any feat that reads "first level only" should be altered to read "Character Creation Only", and then appropriate language about which combination of feats are and are not allowed added. I realize this may boost power level a bit since those feats are balanced around the cost of only being able to ever take one, but it just makes more sense to me.

I am not sure that this is worth CR +1, let alone LA +1, but I did only skim it. Maybe give it +2 to Con if other people agree it is underpowered?

ThisOne
2010-05-14, 11:14 PM
I have long been of the opinion that any feat that reads "first level only" should be altered to read "Character Creation Only", and then appropriate language about which combination of feats are and are not allowed added. I realize this may boost power level a bit since those feats are balanced around the cost of only being able to ever take one, but it just makes more sense to me.

I am not sure that this is worth CR +1, let alone LA +1, but I did only skim it. Maybe give it +2 to Con if other people agree it is underpowered?

...It's a construct :smallbiggrin:

He did forget the bonus HP by size that any nonliving construct would normally get. Construct immunities are worth a +1 almost on their own at low levels. Later they don't add as much. Still, a minor ability boost may be in order.

zagan
2010-05-15, 04:45 AM

For the feat I just copied the wording in the book.
And yeah it's a little underpowered compared to the other. (still need to post them but I don't want to post to many at once.)
+2 con probably yes, and perhaps another small situational bonus.

...It's a construct :smallbiggrin:

He did forget the bonus HP by size that any nonliving construct would normally get. Construct immunities are worth a +1 almost on their own at low levels. Later they don't add as much. Still, a minor ability boost may be in order.

In that case it's a living construct so they don't get the hp bonus from size.
And yeah i will probably add at least a +2 con bonus.

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 02:17 PM
Warforged also get Light Fortification, BTW.

zagan
2010-05-15, 02:21 PM
Warforged also get Light Fortification, BTW.

Curious I was sure that was part of the subtype but your right they don't have it.
I definitively need to give them a few more thing if I want them to be on par with the other. I need to think about it. thanks

sidhe3141
2010-06-15, 07:58 PM
Prerequisites: Int 16; Craft (weaponsmith), Craft (armorsmith), Craft (mechanika) [Iron Kingdoms], or other appropriate Craft skill (DM's discretion) 6 ranks; caster level 3rd.
Benefit: You may create spare parts. Creating a spare part takes one day for each 10 gp of the part's crafting cost (rounded up). A spare part costs 10 gp per 1 hp that it can heal. Installing a spare part into a construct is a full-round action. Installing a spare part into oneself takes two full-round actions. When the spare part is installed, the construct recovers the part's full amount of hp (up to its normal maximum).

Prerequisites: Artificial template, Artificial Armor, Weapon Focus (selected weapon), spend 50 gp.
Benefit: The selected weapon is now considered a natural weapon.
Special: The selected weapon must be a masterwork manufactured weapon that was not created by magic or any other such effect, although it may have been enhanced by such.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, selecting a different manufactured weapon each time.

Upgradeable [Template]
You are set up so that you can be enhanced by magic.
Prerequisites: Artificial template, Artificial Armor, Grafted Weapon.
Benefit: The armor granted to you by the Artificial Armor feat is considered masterwork armor for purposes of crafting magical armor, and your natural weapons are considered masterwork manufactured weapons for purposes of crafting magical weapons.

zagan
2010-06-16, 07:04 AM
Woah more feat for nearly all my template, thanks a lot.

I way to self heal, not sure if it's really worth a feat still nice idea I will add it.

Benefit: The selected weapon is now considered a natural weapon.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, selecting a different manufactured weapon each time.

Nice idea, the wording need to be modified because nowhere does the you stat how the weapon is supposed to be attached.

Upgradeable [Template]
You are set up so that you can be enhanced by magic.
Prerequisites: Artificial template, Artificial Armor, Grafted Weapon.
Benefit: The armor granted to you by the Artificial Armor feat is considered masterwork armor for purposes of crafting magical armor, and your natural weapons are considered masterwork manufactured weapons for purposes of crafting magical weapons.

I don't think this one is need the armor can already be enchanted like for warforged, the graft weapon can also be enchante normally and for the slam you can just buy a battlefist.