PDA

View Full Version : Blades of Legend, Sands of Death IC (3.5)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jair Barik
2010-05-14, 01:01 PM
There is many a famous bar and inn in the town of Shonsha but none is parrellel to the grandeur and fame of The Paths Beggining, a tavern whose name has been earned by its role as the starting place for many an epic quest and adventure. It was from this place that Aeric Thix gathered together a band of adventurers to slay the mighty Hullatholion Grax'kat that plagued the sands between Aol and the City of the Seven. It was through these doors that Zan Wafe walked when he and his travelling companions left to venture out to the Shifting Sands in search of the Staff of the North Wind. Within this walls Berit Trock was murdered in his sleep by the infamous assasin the Black Cobra and Teriq Grit was put to justice by Sir GreyMorn Knight of the Order of Rathgan. It comes as no surprise then that the gathering of adventurers who have heard the call of the strange man bearing the tiger blade chose this as the meeting place for his strange venture.

The night is young and nobody has seen nor heard from the elusive host who seems to be paying for most of the drinks but there is a tension in the air. A sense of imminent action. It comes as a great relief then when the Black cloaked figure stride up onto the stage where the bards and minstrels normally play and bangs his fist upon a small table to gain everyones attention.

"Honoured guests and explorers No doubt you have been wondering with what reason I have gathered you here today? What could cause a man to seek out those with that glint of adventure in the corner of their eyes and invite them to a town whose reputation is so well known for expeditions and quests of destiny. Indeed what could drive a man to do such a thing bar the thrill of adventure? I regret to inform you then that it is not for the thrill that I am here but for the cause."

There is a slight murmering in the tavern amongst some of the assembled people. A few get up and leave, some head across to the bar. For some this seems to intrigue them more.

"Many of you know the world is in a poor state. Undead prey upon our people and the nations are divided by their feuds and misunderstandings. But this was not always how things were. I speak of before the scourging when the land was fertile and the wether cool, when undead were a rare nuisance and the dragons warred amongst one another instead of against the world itself. In this time allegiances bound people of all nations with an unshakeable strength and one such organisation I wish to speak of today, The Temple of the Nine Swords. There in the old world the nine martial disciplines were taught and perfected. These techniques allowed many a swordsman to survive and prosper in the old days through skill at arms. It was a blessing for those who lacked the aptitude to pursue the arcane arts but had the intelligence to learn great things. These disciplines are still taught today and I myself am privy to the knowledge of them. To epitomise the teachings of the nine discipline nine swords were collected and forged, swords of great power that bestowed great strength to those willing to unlock their secrets. Beyond being just weapons though the swords were also a symbol of unity and prosperity, uniting those who followed the disciplines beneath them. Unfortunately long before the scourging the masters of the disciplines fell out amongst themselves and the swords were scattered.

I was brought up on the legends of the nine swords and they have been an important part of my life, so much so in fact that one day long ago I recognised a man who passed through our village as having the sword known as desert wind upon his person. I could not find him before he left but it awoke in me a great desire to see if any of these swords had survived the scourging. A few years back I found two of them in a hidden temple, Faithful Avenger and my own sword, Tiger Fang."

At this point the man draws his sword and stabs it into the table, causing a loud murmering amongst the patrons.

"I also found some very important records and notes. Whatever tragedy it was that caused the scourging various groups had been working to try and stop it! The keepers of the nine swords who having finally tracked down one another agreed that they should unite and together try to prevent the scourging with the gathered resources. Unfortunately they failed but their sacrifice need not be in vain. Many have heard of these legends and they hold strength still today. If we were to gether the nine swords together then we could unite many peoples of the world together and begin to put an end to the undead scourge once and for all! The road ahead is tricky, obtaining the swords may be dangerous, but between us I believe it is a task we could accomplish! Any who wish to speak to me about it can meet me in the back room. Good night gentlemen and may your journeys in this world prove to be fruitful."

This said the man pulls his sword from the table and heads into one of the curtained off back rooms of the tavern. The room erupts into a roar of conversation, men go for more drinks, some leave and some go through the curtain, following this strange man.

Samm
2010-05-15, 06:34 AM
A tall, thin framed man, wearing leather armour over clothes walks over into the back room. Interested, Nathaniel thinks, "Well, this could give me something other to do than hurt people which gets rather boring in the pits, and there may be a substantial reward after this... Heck, I'll do, it'll be tough, but it could even end up fun."

Nathaniel enters the curtained back room takes a look around, he, says, "Well, I'm interested in your venture, Nathaniel's the name. I'm a pit-fighter, and I may be of some use to you."

Jair Barik
2010-05-15, 07:37 AM
The back room is fairly large and your host sits at the end of a table carefully watching all those who enter. Prior to Nathaniel entering two other men have already entered the room. A tall and rugged looking man with a bow across his back and a halfling with a quaterstaff and travellers robes. Shortly after Nathaniels entrance two more enter.

The first is a woman wearing pale yellow robes and the second is a mountain of the man in chainmail with a grey toned skin.

"I am Fiera priestess of Reyor. May the light of the Gods shine upon your journeys."

"I am Eurak of the Eastlands. My club is yours to use as you see fit."

wadams5
2010-05-15, 05:09 PM
Vargas Vol lurks in a dark corner of the main hall of the tavern sipping an extravagant drink, watching and waiting for the perfect moment to make his appearance in the small curtained off room.

He had been obligated only to meet with the man, not necessarily to speak with him. And yet the potential opportunity for personal gain present in the proposed venture is too much for him to turn it down with out further consideration.

As his talents are mentally inclined, and he has no martial training, Vol has little use for a legendary sword. On the other hand, one would look handsome on his belt, and he is sure that it would also fetch a healthy price at market should be unable to use such a sword to pry the gold from the cold dead hands of the many men that he might slay with it.

Vol would have his entrance be a grand one, preferably after the rest of the interested parties had entered. Additionally, he dislikes having people enter a room when his back is to the door.

Ella
2010-05-16, 01:36 PM
Agnes follows the man behind the curtain, moving gracefully as she possibly could afraid of the figure in black calling her out and asking what she thought she was doing there, claim he only invited her to come while drunk, or that she was to come along as some sort of domestic help.

An adventure, by the sounds of it a grand one, and one that she might have the chance to participate in. She reached up and teased her long hair between her fingers, and then worked her way down her body adjusting herself in an attempt to maximise her appeal in certain regards.

Finally before passing behind the curtain she reaches down to her side to check she had her sickle firmly in place.

Jair Barik
2010-05-16, 01:51 PM
As a few more adventurers enter the back room your host appears quite satisfied.

"So then. You are all interested in my proposition? Before I go any further may I ask if any of you have much prior knowledge of the swords or questions regarding them? I believe I have tracked down the rough locations of most of the blades and have an idea as to the whereabouts of those that remain."

Ella
2010-05-16, 02:33 PM
Agnes smiles at the black cloaked man."I am very interested in your proposition, best one I have heard in a couple of years infact, as for prior knowledge well, I did hear something about the swords once just let me see what I can remember of it. "

She runs a hand through her hair and gives one of her most playful grins to the surrounding group. "While I try to recall the details of this story, perhaps you could tell me just how dangerous this might be, what is it that I need to fear."

Bardic Knowledge[roll0]

wadams5
2010-05-16, 02:34 PM
Satisfied that no one else would be joining the party, Lord Vol moves across the room ten paces behind Agnes. He slips through the curtain with his nose in the air just as the cloaked man beguines to speak.

“Greetings fellow sword seekers. I am Lord Vargas Vol. I will hear what you have to say about these Swords of Legend.” He interrupts, as he gives an ostentatious bow.

Jair Barik
2010-05-16, 02:45 PM
The man nods.
"I am under no illusion that obtaining the swords will be by any means easy. I believe supernal clarity, the sword of the diamond mind, for example is in the possession of a powerful and elusive swordsman in the far north. Some of the swords I am unsure wether or not they are still on the continent or not. For those who have heard of the lost Dragon Empire of Gecis I believe one of the blades to be hidden there. Even as we speak somebody is preparing to go and fetch it for us."

@Ella

The nine swords each embody one of the nine disciplines of the sublime way. Each has a history too it, sometimes tragic, sometimes heroic and it is believed that only through understanding the past behind the swords can their users hope to unlock the weapons true potential. The best known of the swords nowdays is Desert Wind for obvious reasons. It is a scimitar that embodies both fire and wind in its beautifully carved blade, the gem studded hilt hinting at a rich past in the desert cities of old where genies were common place and sultans would pay vast sums for magical trinkets.

Ella
2010-05-16, 03:25 PM
Agnes moves into the centre of the crowd, looking around trying to find the best light to hit herself. She strikes a dramatic pose and takes a deep breath preparing herself to recite the story she had heard at some stage, in a smoky tavern from a former merchants guard too deep in his cups.

She starts to gyrate as she repeats the information near word perfect for how she heard it.

"Nine swords, each gives concrete form to the idea of a concept, their histories are entwined with the greatest heroics ever known as well as the most horrible of tragedies and their past is the key to their future.

Desert Wind is scimitar of fire and wind, it tells a tale of the desert, its past filled with rich sultans paying vast fortunes just to own it, and not once have they considered ripping the gems from it."

At the end of the story she had heard of the sword she strikes a more sultry pose and looks around at the group considering them as she would an audience.

Jair Barik
2010-05-16, 03:35 PM
The man nods.

"That is indeed the most famous of the blades nowdays. I have seen it with my own eyes but was too young to consider asking the man who carried it his name, let alone seeking to obtain it. That is the sowrd that haunts me most now, even though it may be the easiest to obtain. It is the not being able to find it that is the problem. My research has yielded other results though and I have a good idea where a few of the blades might be found. As you said, the key to knowing their future, is knowing their past."

Calenestel
2010-05-16, 05:31 PM
There is a scuffle to be heard outside the back room: some swearing that is quickly followed by the obvious sound of fists flying. Only a few punches though, followed by the pained groans of the fallen and lound stomping of sturdy boots. Quickly thereafter yet another adventurer-to-be enters the room.
The last one is one of the bearded folk, a dwarven warrior bearing a sturdy scalemail and a wicked looking axe at his belt. His dark beard, braided in two and stuck behind his belt, is dripping wet with what smells to be ale and his steel grey eyes is flashing with anger as he enters, muttering to himself. "The durned halfgoblins... Made me loose me drink. I'd oughta... Hrmpf..."

Stopping just inside the doorway the dwarf sticks his thumbs behind his belt and looks over the other gathered. "Right. I'm sorry I'm late. There was some blasted idiots who needed to be taught a lesson. Durned layabouts. What'd I miss?"

wadams5
2010-05-16, 07:12 PM
Vol gasps audibly at the sounds of combat coming from behind him, and his surprised expression quickly turn into a disgusted sneer. Who dares approach the mighty Vol from behind? How dare they strike each other in his presence? Vol turns, nostrils furiously faired, ready to burst through the curtain when Borts struts in, walking right past him, and totally missing the smoldering glare now aimed at the back the dwarf’s short cropped ruddy mane. Vol gathers his wits quickly enough though, donning the façade of a cool temperament, and hoping that the gathering is none the wiser.

wadams5
2010-05-16, 07:19 PM
Contested Bluff
[roll0] + 4

Samm
2010-05-17, 12:50 AM
After a little think, Nathaniel, says "Yep, I'm interested, it'd be a welcome change, from this existence..."

Nathaniel on hearing the entrance of Borts, turns to him and thinks, "This guy's a bit excited - must've been quite a show he put on there." He then responds to Borts' question, "Not much; just some talk about how the swords are going to tough nuts to crack. Oh, and where are the swords by the way?"

Jair Barik
2010-05-17, 03:15 AM
"Indeed"

The man pulls out his own sword to show everyone the tiger that adorns its blade.

"This is Tiger Fang. The place I found it also had Faithful Avenger and notes upon the effort that was being made to re-unite the swords. Four of the swords were listed as having been brought to the temple but only two were there. Supernal Clarity was said to have been in the posession of an Elf Lord. I have tracked his family through the records at the Forest and believe that his sword was stolen from him after the Scourging took place, so I know it is not lost for good. Kamate and Umbral Awn were according to the records already gathered so I can only assume they have been stolen by tomb robbers, though why they did not take the other two I do not know. The Blade of the Last Citadel is for the time being lost too us, at the time of writing those at the temple had heard the wielder of the blade had stopped to defend an outpost roughly to the east of an unnamed city. Though the city is unnamed there is a sketch of it and I recognise some of the buildings from the half city. Unfettered was said to be arriving from the south so it could be either lost or simply hidden, who knows."

Samm
2010-05-18, 01:31 AM
"Hmm, that gives us a dilemma, where do we start?I say we start with the Faithful Avenger, if we haven't got it already - we know where it is.", says Nathaniel thoughtfully.

Nathaniel is eager to begin this journey, bored of day to day life, and the promise of fame and moving up in the world entice him.

Jair Barik
2010-05-18, 02:54 AM
"That may be true but so long as it stays where it is it should be safe for the time being. If anything I believe taking it from its resting place is more likely to result in its loss than anything else."

Ella
2010-05-18, 01:53 PM
"So how would you like to start the hunt for the missing blades then your lordship, are any of them time critical or on the move? And is there any reward for locating them?" Agnes runs her hand down to her sickle and rubs a finger along the handle imagining what it would be like to replace it with a truly one of a kind weapon like one of the legendary swords.

"Just where shall we go first."

Jair Barik
2010-05-18, 04:06 PM
The man smiles.

"Nice to see you so eager. As far as I am aware none of them are as you put it, 'time critical.' I am going to do some research into some of the blades but two that I am sure I know the rough locations of are Kamate and Unfettered."

Calenestel
2010-05-19, 12:25 AM
"Right." And which of these be closest to our c'rrent location?" He doesn't take a seat, he looks steady and hardy enough not to need a seat if he doesn't want to. But more than that he seems anxious to get started.

Samm
2010-05-19, 01:49 AM
"Also, which is the easier one to get? If you know that... And where are they?", Nathaniel adds, unsure of where to start, yet eager to do some thing out of the ordinary.

Jair Barik
2010-05-19, 03:47 AM
"Well unfettered I believe is somewhere in the shifting sands. The journal appears to back this up and I have had some psionic divinations made that seem to further support this theory despite suffering severe interference. As for Kamate it is mainly speculation but I believe it is at the top of the malice falls, the origin of the Shadewater. I think the two blades taken from the temple were stolen by those who knew their power and sought to use them. A part of unlocking Kamate's strength is to take it to a high peak and noine are higher than there."

Ella
2010-05-19, 09:04 AM
"I am prepared to leave whenever you are ready your lordership." Agnes could see that there was a good chance that the debate over which sword to collect first had the potential to continue for a good while but at the same time was fairly sure it would all come down to collecting Unfettered first of all, before weighing up the next best chance of success.

"So what is the power of Unfettered, why would they take it to the shifting sands?"

Jair Barik
2010-05-19, 09:56 AM
"Ah! No. I have mispoken. I meant to say that of the two that were stolen, Umbral Awn and Kamate it seemed clear where Kamate would be taken. Unfettered was according to the records arriving from the south when they had last spoken with the messangers. That is what leads me to believe it is in the shifting sands. The scrying showed it buried in some tomb and the shifting sands is hime to many such places. My further scrying efforts seemed to verify this. The legend of unfettered is that it was used to battle against tyranny and enslavement. Formed by a captive of giants it was turned on its creators cruel masters and used to escape."

Ella
2010-05-19, 10:56 AM
"So all we need do is head to the shifting sands, surely a perilous but not impossible journey, find a tomb and recover it from within? If it is a sword used to battle tyranny I can see it becoming rather useful in the future as well."

Agnes bit her lip and started to comb through her memories of the tales drunks tell, trying to find references to the shifting sands, Unfettered, giants and the current level of human enslavement within the other humanoid societies.

Bardic Knowledge:Shifting Sands[roll0]
Bardic Knowledge:Unfettered[roll1]
Bardic Knowledge:Giants[roll2]
Bardic Knowledge:Human Slaves[roll3]

OOC: If this is too big of an attempt to use bardic knowledge let me know and I will cut back.

wadams5
2010-05-19, 08:56 PM
Vol nearly bites his lip in anticipation. He doesn’t want to be the one to ask the obvious question, but an operation of this scale is obviously going to require a fair amount of funding. In short, Payment. It has to come up eventually, he tells himself.

Calenestel
2010-05-20, 12:25 AM
And trust a dwarf to see to wages. After listening some to the discussion about which sword is where and so on the dwarf clears his throat loudly, sticks his thumbs behind his belt and looks straight at the strange man hiring. "So. Unfettered it is den. We'll be sure to find it for ye eventually. But dere's anudder question for ye to answer. Payment." He's not particurlarly grumpy, for a dwarf, maybe even somewhat pleasant about it. But he seems adamant that the question be adressed. It is only right, after all.

Samm
2010-05-20, 02:38 AM
"Yep, we don't do this sort of thing for free...", Nathaniel says, determined to make sure he gets paid. "Enough money, to get me by, at least... That's what I'll need, anything more is a bonus...", he thinks.

Jair Barik
2010-05-20, 03:41 AM
"I can pay you each one hundred gold now. I have a contact in Shadehearst who will be able to pay you more as the search continues and I will be able tor reward you objects of a far greater value than simple coins depending upon your success. My man down south goes by the name of Kreoss Vagen, you won't need to find him, he'll find you."

@Ella

You aren't aware of any human slavery at present but it would likely occur if at all in either the Sunless realms, the far north or potentially Krade'Fulfoth. There are still some giants in the world but they keep to themselves. As for the shifting sands you know the stories, buildings that appear and disappear over night, greedy treasure seekers living off of the land or disappearing never to be seen again, the usual.

wadams5
2010-05-20, 06:10 PM
Vol cant conceal a his emotions, as a greedy grin spreads across his lips.
“An agreeable sum. And how long do you imagine it will take us to get to Shadehearst”

Jair Barik
2010-05-20, 06:14 PM
"A week perhaps longer. It depends upon wether you pass through the mountain range or go round it. I'll leave that detail up to you."

Calenestel
2010-05-21, 12:51 AM
"Right... Over or 'round... What yer thoughts, comrades?" Looking to the other hired adventurers the dwarf shows little about what he'd prefer. Mainly because he has little preference.

Samm
2010-05-21, 01:07 AM
"Dunno, don't like the desert, don't want to go back to that place for long... Mountains, don't really seem that great either... Though, at least I know about the desert, having lived there a while..."

Jair Barik
2010-05-22, 05:11 AM
((Is Nathaniel aware that the mountains in question are where he grew up?))

Samm
2010-05-22, 09:07 AM
((Is Nathaniel aware that the mountains in question are where he grew up?))

((Nathaniel, was a nomad in the desert, wandering from Oasis to Oasis.))

Jair Barik
2010-05-22, 09:14 AM
((Oops getting players and characters mixed up. I of course meant Calenestel's character who is yet to introduce himself to the party))

Ella
2010-05-22, 09:24 AM
Agnes considers her options, and after a while it becomes obvious that there is only really one choice in her eyes."I cast my vote in favour of the mountains at least, just think of what all that heat would do to your skin."

Calenestel
2010-05-22, 12:54 PM
((OOC: Well, I wasn't to begin with. But it doesn't matter to Borts.))

wadams5
2010-05-23, 09:11 PM
Vol listens quietly to the conversation, showing no sign of a preference either way.

Samm
2010-05-24, 01:52 AM
Agnes considers her options, and after a while it becomes obvious that there is only really one choice in her eyes."I cast my vote in favour of the mountains at least, just think of what all that heat would do to your skin."

"Look at mine, it's fine... I've lived there quite a while", says Nathaniel pointing out some of his heavily tanned skin. "Granted, I'd probably prefer the mountains... the less time you spend in the desert the better..."

Calenestel
2010-05-24, 05:45 AM
The dwarf has been rather quiet after the mention of the mountain range that they would need to either cross or circle. With a stony mask hiding his emotions he silently considers the implications of the coming journey. He was in no way forbidden to return home and even less to just travel through the area. Formally he was much more an expatriate than an exile. Still, if they had to take shelter in Hammer's Fall he would quickly see how much an exile he really was, something he didn't relish. On the other hand, it's a very remote possibility and the risk equally small. Calmly he shrugs slightly. "Well, make up yer mind den. We'll have ourselves a guide either way..."

Jair Barik
2010-05-26, 04:31 AM
bump
You guys decided yet?

Samm
2010-05-26, 05:29 AM
Nathaniel, after having a think says, "Mountains, don't wanna go back to the desert for long... The less time you spend there, the better... Who's with me?"

Calenestel
2010-05-26, 05:35 AM
The dwarf looks to Nathaniel and shrugs. That's two for the mountains and one against, by his reckoning and it's good that they're finally getting somewhere. "It's not me first choice. But I'm with ye..."

Jair Barik
2010-05-26, 07:38 AM
"Very well then! The four of you will head that way and the rest of you will head north to investigate the highest mountain. I will head to the City of the Seven. I have important business there relating to Umbral awn, I will see you off by the town gates in the morning, do not worry I will bring the gold."

The meeting parts and you each may go your seperate ways till you meet again in the morning. (If there are any preperations you wish to make before leaving state them now)

Samm
2010-05-28, 08:38 PM
"Fair enough, I'll be there..." Nathaniel heads out of the tavern and into his small shack. He spends the night there, resting in the comfort of his small shack.

I'm assuming that Nathaniel would actually own a small shack, having lived in the city for some time.

He wakes up next morning slightly excited about the prospect of adventure, yet dreading to venture back into the desert.

Ella
2010-05-28, 08:46 PM
Agnes grinned, her presence had been completely accepted by the group of soon to be adventurers, just like in the epic tales of old they were taking someone who would recount their tales for the rest of their life.

She leaves the room and heads to the tavern's owner. "I'm ready to be shown to my room for this evening."

Calenestel
2010-05-28, 10:37 PM
"Right. I'll be seein' ye t'morrow, then." Stomping off the dwarf calls for beer and beef. A quick snack before heading to the bed he already paid for. He's actually ready to go immediately, but the squishy humans would probably protest so... he might as well enjoy himself.

Jair Barik
2010-05-29, 03:47 AM
The next morning your friend in black can be found waiting by the gates just as he promised. The other group are nowhere to be seen, it is just the four of you and him.

Calenestel
2010-05-29, 03:56 AM
Even if he was late to bed he still rises with the sun, the toughness of a dwarf apparent in how little sleep he really need. The only thing that kept him from beating their employer to the meeting point is a hearty breakfast lasting more than a full hour. Still, he is first of the employees to turn up. A armoured, with a heavy backpack on his back, a bow and the cloak, tied to a bundle, secured tightly to the backpack, a sturdy shield on his arm and the waraxe slung across his shoulder he walks up looking every inch a hardy adventurer."Not so late this time, aye?" Grinning the dwarf draws heavy breaths of the clean morning air, obviously cherishing the moment.

Samm
2010-05-29, 08:23 AM
Nathaniel wakes up, from his slumber in an uncomfortable bed. He rubs his eyes and makes himself a simple breakfast of oats. After quickly devouring his breakfast, he dons his armour, packs his bag, grabs his sword and heads off to the gate. His clothes look tattered and worn, his bacpack, which once looked a green, has faded horribly, his leather armour is scratched, but otherwise in good condition. "This is going to be very interesting...", he thinks.

Arriving after Borts, he says, "You're here awfully early. This whole thing should be welcome change for me... At least I hope."

Ella
2010-05-31, 01:09 AM
Agnes has a grimace on her face, she is not a morning person part of the very reason she initially started dancing in taverns was because no one wanted you to start before mid afternoon.

She slouches against the gate, and attempts to give a warm smile.

"So did you sleep well friend dwarf?"

Calenestel
2010-05-31, 01:19 AM
When Agnes speaks to him the dwarf is pulled out of his reverie and nods slightly. "Aye. That I did. 'twas good to be in a proper bed fer once. And ye?" His tone is cheery for a dwarf, hardly grumbling at all when he mentions proper beds, still he seem to complain by omission about not being able to sleep indoors enough. But furthermore there is something in the way he eyes the woman that makes it clear that the finishing question is more than just friendly platitudes. Like most morning persons the dwarf seem to take some slight joy in those who aren't.

Ella
2010-05-31, 01:41 AM
"It was terrible, truly terrible, I went to bed at a reasonable hour and still it feels like I didn't get enough sleep. Can you imagine it, I did everything right and it still is horrible and bright and noisy."
She starts to stretch, getting herself nice and limber in preparation for any time she might need to use her dancing ability during the day.
"And how about you sir?"

Samm
2010-05-31, 03:47 AM
"Well, I suppose it was alright, tonight, good as any... The hustle and bustle are still a bit alien to me..."

Nathaniel feels, mediocre, slightly tired, yet he knows that by mid-day he'll have woken up fully. He yawns.

Ella
2010-05-31, 04:15 AM
"So tell me, what do we expect to see on our trip?"

Samm
2010-05-31, 05:00 AM
"Sand... Lot's of sand, mainly lifeless, might get the occaisional undead attack, may stumble across an oasis or two... That's until we get to the mountains... Dunno what'll happen there...", says Nathaniel in a fairly laid back fashion, "should be okay..."

Calenestel
2010-05-31, 05:04 AM
"Less undead, more wildlife... But tha's not necessarily a good thing. Ye just hope we don't run into a mother bear! At least it'll be easier to find water..." Patting the full waterskin at his side the dwarf looks to the mountains, or in their general way of direction at any rate, with an almost wistful smile on his face. That would be the softest expression he'd shown yet, mingled with some... longing or possibly regret.

Ella
2010-05-31, 05:25 AM
Agnes smiles at the idea of there being less undead, in her opinion at least the ideal number of the undead to see in any given place was none.

"There is only one thing missing."Agnes comments, her mind turning to the story that their adventures would become once they rescued all the blades.

Calenestel
2010-05-31, 05:36 AM
Aye? And what would that be, lass? With an amused glint to his grey eyes the dwarven warrior looks to the dancer. She looked like his cousin Holmgang the Skald when he was trying to compose, staring into the distance and not entirely aware of the here and now.

Ella
2010-05-31, 06:13 AM
"A name, every group of heroes has one, a way for people to talk about them without naming all the members and explaining their various abilities. The Skullcrushers for example makes for a better story than a dwarf and some humans."

Agnes smirks, that at least was something bright in the morning, the idea that perhaps the humans would be more useful than the highly competant looking dwarf.

Samm
2010-06-01, 02:16 AM
Nathaniel laughs, obviously amused by the prospect of this group being named. "A name!? A name!? You're joking, we haven't even left the gates yet!"

Jair Barik
2010-06-01, 02:52 AM
"I am ready to see you off whenever you wish to leave. It appears that Lord Vol hasn't turned up yet though... If you tell me what route you intend to take then I will try and follow after you if he does happen to arrive."

Calenestel
2010-06-01, 03:48 AM
After a grumbled "I prefer if we earn our name, lass" the dwarf stands silent, waiting for that "Vol"-figure. The wait drags on, undoubtedly and he is actually rather relieved when their patron decides so send them on their way regardless. He had some choice words for aristocrats that keep good people waiting which he just might share with the good lord later. Nobles...
"Aye, let's not wait any longer. It would seem that we're heading straight for the hills to begin with, Parched Peaks. Well, as soon as we're paid, tha' is. It was a hunnerd afore we set out, right?"

Borts view of Vol's "tardiness" is strictly IC. OOC I'm well aware of troubles arising to keep one out of a game temporarily and I promise to hold no grudge. :smallwink:

Oh, and I reread parts of the thread. Let's just say that we had some introductions made before parting ways the night before, OK?

Ella
2010-06-01, 04:13 AM
"I am prepared to go anytime m'lord."Agnes curtsies to the dark cloaked stranger.

She runs her hands over her clothes straightening and tidying herself up in preparation for leaving. Under her breath she mumbles "Earn a name, oh I'll earn us a name."

Samm
2010-06-01, 04:47 AM
"Yeah, I'd like to get going... Waiting round here is just boring...", Nathaniel groans, "Anyway, payment would be very nice..."

wadams5
2010-06-01, 06:39 AM
Vol appears at the last moment, having taken his time to be groomed and bathed by the most beautiful maiden(s) that four gold pieces could buy. As he approaches the group, his polished black leathers reflect the rays of the raising sun. “I see you’re all here.” He says calmly, failing to acknowledge the fact that he has kept the rest of the party waiting. “Shall we?”

Jair Barik
2010-06-01, 07:00 AM
Your employer hands you each a bag of one hundred gold coins.

"Glad to see you could make it Vol. As I said you will meeta contact in Shadeshearst. I will head to the city of the seven to see if I can track down Umbral Awn. I believe there is somebody in an asylum there who may be able to help."

Calenestel
2010-06-01, 07:08 AM
At first the dwarf seem sour enough to have been biting into a lemon, grumbling something under his breath as Vol waltzes up to them without bothering to even apologize. Still, their employers gold is good and plenty enough to light up his face with an appreciative smile while he weighs the bag in his hand. Deciding not to pick any fights Borts hides his money away and puts his axe in a loop at the belt. "Right, we'd better be off, then. We'll let ye know when we find anything."
Turning to the others the dwarf quickly considers the travels that took him to his present location to begin with. "I'd say we invest some of tha gold we got in paying for a boattrip down to Aol. 'tis much closer to tha Parched Peaks from there. I don't know about ye, but I'd prefer to travel in those durned sands as little as possible." Hardly waiting for a reply the dwarf stomps of towards the docks. If anyone has any trouble with his plan they'd just have to stop him.

Ella
2010-06-01, 10:25 AM
Agnes sees the dwarf start, and races after him, her gold safely sucked into her moneypouch a skill she learnt dancing in taverns was to never let anyone know just how much gold you had made.

"So do you know any songs friend dwarf" she asks once she catches up with him.

Samm
2010-06-02, 12:24 AM
Nathaniel smiles as he receives the gold. He places the gold in his bag, he reasons that he won't let it out of his sight. He runs off after Borts and Ella, making sure to keep up with them and not go too far ahead.

Jair Barik
2010-06-04, 05:29 PM
OOC: You guys still there? I was expecting something else but if this is you saying "we go to the destination" okay then. How are you travelling? Foot all the way? Trying to catch a boat down river to the main city where you may be able to catch a caravane? Do any of you have mounts?

Calenestel
2010-06-04, 06:19 PM
OOC:

1: I think it was more like: "We start our journey. Bring it on, DM!"
2: Didn't think we could take a boat.
3: No horse for Borts. I didn't have the money until now. Hm... Maybe a quick stop at the stables before we went might have been a good idea. :smalltongue:

Samm
2010-06-04, 06:40 PM
OOC:
OOC:
1: I think it was more like: "We start our journey. Bring it on, DM!"
2: Didn't think we could take a boat.
3: No horse for Borts. I didn't have the money until now. Hm... Maybe a quick stop at the stables before we went might have been a good idea.

Catching a boat and then a caravan would be a great idea! It'd allow us to take plenty of supplies and it may actually speed things up a bit.

Jair Barik
2010-06-05, 03:19 AM
((Looking on the map (see sig) you are at the kink in the river NW of Aol. The town sells camels or you could try getting a boat downriver to Aol, a massive trade city where many caravan routes converge.))

Calenestel
2010-06-05, 03:26 AM
OOC

Oh, right. I'm such an idiot at times. I suddenly thought we WERE in Aol. :smallannoyed:
I'll rewrite my previous post.

Edit: Done. And I wrote it so that the later posts still fits the game. :smallbiggrin:

Samm
2010-06-06, 01:28 AM
Nathaniel runs after Borts, ensuring that he keeps up with him. "Borts, going to the docks sounds like a great idea... We'd just hire a caravan when we get to Aol, and things should work out from there."

Calenestel
2010-06-06, 01:40 AM
"Aye, lad. That's the gist of it. Or, if we must we'll just buy ourselves some camels and head out alone. It's risky but at least we can get away from thar faster."
He does not stop or even slow down as he talks, just keep on with a slight smile. Not that he's holding that high a pace. Any longleg should have no trouble to keep up with his shorter gait.

Ella
2010-06-07, 10:44 AM
"A perfectly acceptable plan." Agnes beams with excitement. Camels or caravans she was just excited to be involved and grateful for all that gold weighing her down.

Jair Barik
2010-06-07, 10:51 AM
The riverbanks are packed with barges and small fishing boats. The Aol has much more life in it than the savage currents of the Shadewater and so is good for commerce and travel. Boats range in size from small skimmers to large barges tied together to form travelling communities along the river. A few of the boats are under repairs from fire damage, one or two seem to sit out in the water idle and broken, ignored by the eyes on the coast.

Samm
2010-06-08, 03:59 AM
After arriving at the docks, Nathaniel, not at all puffed says, "Well, now we're at the docks... Which boat should we take? I'll bet a small one is the best bet... But I don't much about boats... So I wouldn't really know..."

Nathaniel has little knowlegde of boats, growing up in the desert and never really seeing them until he's moved to town.

Calenestel
2010-06-08, 04:13 AM
"Cannae matter much now can it? What do ye say, Agnes? Ye've been aboatin' much?" Looking towards the wide variety of boats the dwarf really has a small sense of second thoughts. It was a good idea, going by boat. He'd done it before, but it really hadn't taught him anything about river traveling, and he knew even less to begin with. He had even ended up on one of the durned things by accident!

Ella
2010-06-09, 10:03 AM
Agnes had never been boating in her life, she however her pride refused to allow her to admit it. "When I was younger I did a little bit of boating, however that was purely playing about on the water, we ned something that will get at the very least decent speed."

Agnes looks around for a local to find out who she could haggle for a boat with.

Jair Barik
2010-06-09, 10:07 AM
There are various people who look likely. There are a few craftsmen who it appears make their living from repairing and selling crafts, there are the gypsy travellers who may take on passengers and then there are those men who seem to be docked with no apparent purpose, their ships in varying sizes, apparently looking for work.

Ella
2010-06-09, 10:42 AM
Agnes turns to her companions. "Just give me a few minutes, I will get us a boat to ride."

She walks towards the craftsmen, and removes her armour to reveal her performing outfit, skimpy and tight. She pinches her cheeks to make them rosy and then applies a tiny bit of ash from her spell component pouch to underline her eyes. Finally she uses some of the water from her waterskin to slick back her hair.

She starts to dance, starting a little coy before working her way up to a high level of energy, waiting to draw a crowd.

perform dance: [roll0]

Jair Barik
2010-06-09, 10:48 AM
A small crowd quickly gathers with various wolf whistles laughs and names called. A few coppers are thrown down (about 12) and a couple of silvers too (4). You have quickly attracted a decent little crowd of men and a couple of women and children too who have come to watch the show.

Ella
2010-06-09, 11:12 AM
Agnes continues the dance until its conclusion, before making an announcement to the small crowd she has gathered.

"I need to get down to Aol, if any of you know of a way to get there I would be mighty grateful for the information."

She continues to dance for the crowd, waiting to see if anyone would come forwards, adding some singing to her routine

perform sing:[roll0]

Jair Barik
2010-06-09, 11:26 AM
A couple of the men step forward, some look better than others. There are a few rugged looking sorts, a gypsy man and a handsome young man who wears the crest of Rathgan. Judging by him being here though you assume the man to be a knight, with all the connotations and stigmas that come with the title.
"I would be honoured to take the fair lady to her destination. A part of fighting evil is aiding those who are in need." The knight seems eager to help but you are under the impression he is doing it for more than just noble reasons.
"Ta leidy dant neyd ta lyks of ya nite. A barge be good nuff fer any an a singin voice make fayr coin upon the jurny." The gruff voice of the Gypsy man causes much laughter at the knights expense.
In addition to these a large and hideous shape moves through the crowd causing them to part as whispers spread through them. A large monster with bug like eyes and a incisors lumbers through the crowd, it has some sort of small tent chair mounted upon his back in which sits a figure you cannot yet see.
"Or perhaps the lady would prefer to ride with some people who have a bit more class." The voice from the tent is strange and definitely not human.

OOC: For those unaware of knights in this setting
-Knight. Soldiers who show some promise are sometimes promoted to the position of knight. Unlike a Lieutenant Knights do not advance through the military order, instead being expected to travel far abroad to spread the Orders ideals and to combat evil. Occasionally people are given the position of Knight as a form of punishment.

Ella
2010-06-09, 11:39 AM
"I feel I should warn you, I do have three companions."

She gestures to three her trio of companions to come over continuing to dance all the while.

"So how would you like to travel? Let me know what you think while I continue to perform."

Turning towards the crowd.

"Time is important, when do you leave?" She asks the crowd.

She reaches for her pack and gets out a cloak and a sunrod, she stands side on to the crowd and pulls the cloak on sideways to cover the side facing the crowd leaving only her head exposed, she then triggers the sunrod and starts to dance, moving it behind the cloak, causing a silhouette of her figure to appear on the cloak. She turns to her companions and winks.

Jair Barik
2010-06-09, 11:47 AM
The knight glares at the other two men. After the arrival of the big creature most of the others seem to have backed off.

"i can sail whenever you need it."
"En cen synk just as quickly a wager. We saile with the morrows light."
"And I with the evening dark."

Calenestel
2010-06-09, 02:56 PM
Borts never were far away anyways, keeping a watchful eye on the crowd and even stomping on a few toes quite litterally when he didn't particularly mind some of the coarser suggestions among the riff-raff. In none of the cases it had led to anything more nasty than glares, staring contests he had won with almost disappointing ease. It did, however, give him a few ideas about the party could make some money should time turn rough.

Now, he steps forward, his right hand resting on the head of the axe at his belt and the other tucked behind the girdle itself. Aye, thare's a few more of-" He gets no further until the three start tripping over each other in order to get to bring the bard along. With a snicker the dwarf looks to Agnes and continues in a lower voice. "Methinks ye broke something thar, lass."

Samm
2010-06-10, 04:42 AM
Nathaniel stands up straight, and stretches, making himself look slightly intimidating. He takes a think about the choice he has, "This knight bloke... doesn't look right... that weird insect thing is just weird... don't exactly trust him... the gypsy... I'm not sure... probably the best bet..."

He then voices his concerns in Borts' ear. "Right, we've got a choice between three oddballs. The knight is doesn't look right to me, that insect thing is just weird and then there's the gypsy..."

Ella
2010-06-10, 04:47 AM
Agnes turns and whispers to her companions"Personally I prefer to leave tonight, he sounds like a real gentleman, who else could afford to be carried around like that."

Samm
2010-06-10, 04:53 AM
Nathaniel hears this, and replies, "The Knight? He don't look right to me."Nathaniel shrugs, "But if you say so, I'll follow you..."

Ella
2010-06-10, 05:09 AM
"Oh not the knight, you can hear the slyness in his voice can you not. I mean the man riding on that." She points at the large monster, before returning to her dance.

Calenestel
2010-06-10, 09:10 AM
Shrugging the dwarf goes back to watching the crowd, leaving the humans to handle the humans. Or whatever was riding the bug. This was hardly his kind of work, but Agnes seemed right in her element. Now give him a nice, slow zombie to behead though....

Samm
2010-06-11, 04:09 AM
Somewhat disappointed, Nathaniel folds his arms and says, "Oh... right... His insect thing is a bit weird though..."

Jair Barik
2010-06-11, 04:47 AM
((OOC:Actually he's saying this evening))

Samm
2010-06-11, 04:50 AM
((OOC:Actually he's saying this evening))

OOC: I see what you mean. I must have misinterpreted the whole thing...

Ella
2010-06-11, 11:18 AM
Agnes walks over to the big eyed monster, and calls up to the tent on top. "Where do we meet when it is time to go? I would like to take you up on your kind offer, and use the time until we leave to celebrate my good fortune having found such great kindness with these friendly people."

Jair Barik
2010-06-11, 11:47 AM
"Very good. My barges are preparing to leave for Aol at the nearest point of the river within city bounds. You won't be able to miss it, look for the fine opulent vessel with unusual deck hands."

Ella
2010-06-11, 12:08 PM
"Then I will meet you there, you have my gratitude." Agnes returns to the crowd, and breaks into a new song and dance routine.

dance[roll0]
sing[roll1]

"This will be my final dance before I have to head off with my companions, I think you all for your help and kindness." She announces to the gathered people before collecting the silver they had given her and rejoining with her companions.

"So shall we go?"

Samm
2010-06-11, 05:26 PM
Nathaniel shrugs, he then says "I guess... It' not as if we can really do anything else..."

Calenestel
2010-06-11, 05:46 PM
All this dancing and no ale. Durned humans. The dwarf has been standing impatient and waited for Agnes to wrap things up. Now that she is finally done he just nods curtly and grumbles a grumpy: "Aye. Let's get going." before stomping of in the lead, serching for the promised vessel.

Jair Barik
2010-06-11, 05:54 PM
The vessel in question is not hard to find. It is one of three that seem part of a small fleet but being the most decorative of them it is clear this is the one you want. It is a large ship with red sails, numerous oars and an unusual paint scheme of curling green and red shapes. A number of crates are being lifted aboard by a range of creatures, goblinoids, elves, a few halflings, humans and such like as would be expected but also another of the big bug creatures and some of the northern races. A few kobolds and Lizardfolk. Overseeing all of this are a few robed men with tattoos. One of the kobolds who has been lurking around not working walks over to you upon seeing you looking at the ship. He is a hardy looking creature with scarred skin and a dirty tattered looking uniform. Nathaniel at the very least will be able to recognise this as the uniform of one of the infamous border watchers of the dry flats.

Ella
2010-06-12, 03:01 PM
"Greetings." Agnes calls out to the approaching kobold. "My name is Agnes and I was told that you might be able to get me to Aol with these my companions."

Looking at the ship Agnes is most impressed, to have such a broad range of races working together must be glorious, where everyone sets aside their past.

Jair Barik
2010-06-12, 03:33 PM
The kobold smiles a wide grin and makes a funny coughing noise that you think might be laughter. He appears to be missing a couple of teeth.

Ella
2010-06-12, 03:46 PM
"So is there anything we need to do before we board the ship, any customs we must complete or anyone in authority we need to speak to? And when can I meet that kind gentleman who offered to take us to Aol?"

Calenestel
2010-06-12, 04:12 PM
Looking with suspicion at the kobold, a KOBOLD for Gods' sakes! the dwarf keeps his hands on his belt, with his thumbs stuck behind the beltbuckle, seeming relaxed but with easy reach to his axe. The filthy thing even LAUGHED at them! Still, Agnes had already shown herself a good people person, and they really could need the ride, so the dwarf keeps his mouth shut and his glares to a minimum.

Jair Barik
2010-06-12, 04:16 PM
The kobold seems to make the strange laughing noise again and pulls out a little tin from one of the pockets of his uniform. He offers you all some sort of cigar from his little tin and keeps smiling. Noticing the look hes getting from Borts he moves one of the folds in his travelling cloak to reveal a nasty looking knife of some sort with a curved blade and razoor sharp tip.

Ella
2010-06-12, 04:32 PM
Agnes accepts the cigar, doing her best to be deferential towards their host.

"May I ask your name?" she inquires.

Calenestel
2010-06-12, 04:42 PM
The dwarf studies the kobold and it's nasty looking weapon for a second and then smiles grimly. Slowly and unthreatingly he pats his axe and nods. They both know where they have each other now. And he knows that the kobold probably won't start anything, just as the ugly beast can assume the same about him. Actually, there's a weak hint of respect in the gruff dwarf's grey eyes. A kobold that can stand up to an armed dwarf without flinching deserves some recognition. And caution.

Jair Barik
2010-06-12, 04:52 PM
The kobold opens his mouth making a strange sort of hissing noise to Borts with his mouth wide open. He then smiles and tips his hat at the dwarf. Whilst his mouth is open you notice he is somewhat lacking in the tongue department.

Samm
2010-06-12, 05:31 PM
Nathaniel is slightly off-put by the stand-off between Borts and the Kobold. He is ready to draw his sword, and fight the kobold, if worst comes to worst. Upon noticing that the Kobold is missing a tongue he thinks, "That's why he wasn't replying..." Nathaniel says to the others, "We'd better find someone else to ask..."

Ella
2010-06-12, 05:59 PM
"Please lead the way friend kobold." Agnes is slightly worried about the number of races on board the ship because she could see a minefield of custom and ettiquette stretching out before her a vast vista of possible faux pas.

Jair Barik
2010-06-12, 06:07 PM
The kobold grunts and leads the way up onto the deck. Evidently he is aware that you are expected. The other crewmen (regardless of race) seem to give you and your new companion a fairly wide berth, even the big bug monster. The kobold leads you to four rooms that have down mattresses and cupboards. Each has a door leading off onto the main deck.

"GIZI!"
The kobold turns to face the source of the rough voice behind you. It comes from a tall humanoid with ebon skin and a jackal like head. He has sharp fangs and no less than two scimitars strapped to his waist. He is lightly dressed with no armour to speak of.
"This Dardan's guests then?"
The kobold nods with a smile.
"Hmmm. Not one to judge wether she is attractive by human standards or not but she has little muscle on her. You will all be expected to join Dardan tonight for food. Wear something nice, feel free to hold onto your weapons."

Ella
2010-06-12, 06:34 PM
Agnes can't contain her excitement, such luxury and obvious interest in keeping his guests comfortable, the mysterious offer to help them reach their destination was truly the best thing that could have happened.

She puts most of her equipment away keeping her spell pouch on her waist and her sickle hanging loosely from a cord. She puts her armour and shield away for safe keeping.

"Nathaniel, Borts I cannot thank you enough for letting me accept this offer. I know I moved a little fast but just look at this ship doesn't it look like I was right?"

Calenestel
2010-06-13, 12:16 AM
"Well... Any ship's as good as tha next fer all I know, lass. Thare seems ta be more ways of finding trouble in this crew than ye can spit at. But I'm sure tha's nothing we cannae handle. One way or tha other." the dwarven warrior says with something aking to uncharacteristic eloquence. After stuffing his backpack and shield into a cupboard, he quickly removes his armour as well. But instead of putting it away he fetches a rag from his pack and starts polishing the scale mail. Wearing something nice seem to vary from race to race.

Samm
2010-06-13, 11:32 PM
"So long as it gets there, it's fine with me... Sure we could start a bit of trouble with these guys... But, worst comes to worst, I can always beat the living daylights out of them..."

Nathaniel, sits down on the floor, sword next to him, happy to be onboard a ship leaving tonight. He wonders what all this adventure will mean for him, and whether he'll return a changed man.

Jair Barik
2010-06-14, 03:31 AM
Come evening the boat leaves the dock and the sounds of music and merriment can be heard coming from elsewhere on the ship. At a guess you would say this is likely where dinner is being served.

Ella
2010-06-14, 12:24 PM
Agnes removes her cloak from her pack again and puts it on over her performing costume, she repeats her procedure with pinching, ashes and water to tidy herself up before dinner.

Once all the steps are complete she heads towards the noise, keeping her eyes open.

Calenestel
2010-06-14, 02:05 PM
His armour and axe polished to a shine the dwarf keeps one step behind her. He had long since dediced to play the part of her bodyguard for the trip. Not only for her sake and the pledge of camaraderie that they shared now. But also for his own sake. The risk of him being tossed over the side would probably be drastically less if he were attached to the girl who had gotten them the free trip to begin with.

Jair Barik
2010-06-14, 04:47 PM
The party is taking place in a large central hall of the ship where lanterns light the room and a stage sits in the centre lifted up above the surrounding tables. There is much food and drink being passed around and servants come and go. Those present are of a very mixed racial demographic. On the whole they are the southern races (dwarves, goblinoids, humans, elves, hlaflings, gnolls, jackle kin, Asherati and so on) but there are also some northerners in the form of a few kobolds and Lizardmen plus a strange half snake half human hybrid that sits to the side of the largest chair in the room. This chair stands at the grandest of the tables and, in addition to these two there is also four empty seats, the kobold from the docks, a rugged looking human and two of the tattoed men at the table. The great chair itself is occupied by the strangest of the assembled company (possibly excluding the two bug creatures that stand close at hand behind tthe chair) in the form of an orange furred creature with six insectile legs, two clawed arms and a long neck coming off its bulbous body ending in a well fanged mouth. It is not itself that big though only about the size of a halfling.

Ella
2010-06-14, 06:20 PM
Agnes enters the dining room and her eyes go wide with suprise. The various races all together in one room managed to suprise her, the fact there seemed to be no bickering impressed her even more.

She feels a great deal of nerves when it comes to impressing their mysterious benefactor, what if she fails to impress, what if she makes a mistake in either manners or custom.

She enters the room and walks towards the two large chairs hoping to present herself to her host.

Jair Barik
2010-06-14, 06:34 PM
There is some bickering amongst people, drunken bickering and laughter though how serious it is is hard to tell. As Agnes approaches your host turns his head to see you and claps his two 'hands' together in delight.

"Ah so good to see you all! I believe you have already met Gizi." Your host points at the tongueless Kobold who waves and smiles.

"I am afraid Gizi is quite poor at conversation," he laughs and a few of his friends snigger.

"Perhaps you will play us a song later. The stage is free to anyones use."

Ella
2010-06-14, 06:51 PM
"Gizi was most kind leading us to our cabins, and I would greatly enjoy putting on a performance for yourself and your crew tonight."

Agnes smiles, how many dancers ever got an opportunity like this to perform for such a mixed crowd.

"Your crew is so impressively varied, how on earth did you manage to recruit such a variety?"

Calenestel
2010-06-15, 12:05 AM
Keeping close to Agnes the dwarf seem relaxed enough. He keeps his thumbs tucked behind the belt and doesn't glare at anyone. Even if it takes some effort considering the presence of both goblinoids and more kobolds.
The thing that helps him, is the presence of dwarves and elves. Humans can usually not be trusted farther than they can be thrown, but dwarves and elves are another thing. Each dwarf gets a quick nod and a faint, tight smile as he passes but he doesn't slow down to greet any of them right now. That would probably be insulting to the host.

And that one really took the price as the strangest of the lot. Borts has a hard time not staring and tries to mask it as a study of all the strange things in the room. He keeps his mouth shut for the time being, hoping to get away with letting Agnes do the talking. She seems good at it. And she was the reason they were there to begin with.

Samm
2010-06-15, 01:01 AM
Nathaniel much like Borts lets Agnes do the talking. Not one for manners, and foul-mouthed, he figures that he best stay quiet. He stands behind Borts with his arms folded, absorbing the atmosphere of the place. "Gosh, what a bunch of oddballs..."

Jair Barik
2010-06-15, 03:15 AM
"Gold. I am a wealthy man and have very good contacts. That and many people owe me favours. Having a mixture of races is simply common sense, I always have somebody who knows the local customs and such like. Now howabout a song?"

Turning to Nathaniel and Borts your host smiles.
"You look intelligent men. How about a game. I am an avid gambler you see."

Samm
2010-06-15, 04:58 AM
Nathaniel, chuckles at the prospect of a game, for he knows he should stay out of it. He thinks to himself, "The only reason anyone smart plays a game with money on the table is, they think they'll win... And if they're smart then they're probably right..."

Nathaniel respods, "The only games I put money on, are the games I know I will win."

Calenestel
2010-06-15, 08:08 AM
His face lighting up at the mention of gambling the dwarf takes a small step forward. He's not so stupid that he thinks that he could actually make a killing here, he knows he'll probably loose. But some kinds of game are worth a few gold. "Aye, master merchant. I might wager a few coins on games and gamblin'. Ye suggest me a game and I'll suggest ye one."

Jair Barik
2010-06-15, 12:09 PM
The snake woman smiles and her interest perks up.
"A game! Oh i do love to see a good game. A simple game though, the simple ones are always the best Dardan."

"Indeed. In which case I bet you two gentlemen 5 coppers that you don't know where master knight at the port was from. You don't look the types to know where the Order of Rathgan is based."

Calenestel
2010-06-15, 12:40 PM
Looking slightly crestfallen, and obviously taken aback the dwarf looks with suspicion on their host, like if the creature is trying to cheat him. "'Scuse me, melord. Tha's yer idea of gamblin'? Why not dice? Or cards?" And no, he had no idea of where the Order of Rathgan were based. But that was hardly the reason to why he balked. This was not gambling. This was... quiz night!

Jair Barik
2010-06-15, 01:04 PM
"Because why gamble on a game of chance? When a man wars does he not gamble the lives of men? yet when he wars it his knowledge that is tested, his wisdom and strength of arms, the wise general does not war upon the roll of the dice. Thus I rarely gamble in such a manner. Instead I gamble with wits and brains only."

(OOC: Depending how far Borts has travelled he may well have been there actually. Would he have gone as far as the border? Otherwise a knowledge check can be made.)

Ella
2010-06-15, 01:26 PM
"I would be honoured to perform for you and your crew, are there any special requests?"

Bardic Knowledge:[roll0]
on the gambling.

Jair Barik
2010-06-15, 01:57 PM
"Anything so long as it is good. And nothing sad. A merry tune is good for the spirits."

((OOC: Even with that roll you probably know it. High watch is a pretty famous city.))

Ella
2010-06-15, 02:11 PM
"As you wish."

Agnes starts towards the stage, drawing deep breaths on her way, this had to be the most impressive crowd she had performed before. She felt nervous and slightly underprepared, she normally did just fine in a tavern with her dances and songs but she wished she had prepared musical accompaniment for this performance.

She reaches the stage and slowly walks towards the centre, her preparation time was almost up and her pulse racing.

Sing:[roll0]

Calenestel
2010-06-15, 03:17 PM
The dwarf does seem like if he'd been cheated. With a sour twist of his mouth he shrugs. "War and games be two diff'rent things, melord. But I asked ye to name yer game and so ye've done."
As Agnes starts her performance Borts takes this as an opportunity to rack his brains a little about the weird host's quiz.

No, I'm not sure he has traveled that far, he has definetly not any relevant Knowledge skills. But he has traveled a lot since leaving Hammer's Fall. If it's that common knowledge then I'd suggest that I make an Intelligence roll to see if Borts remember it being mentioned in conversations or tales among caravan guards. Like a very ineffectual Bardic Knowledge. :smallwink:

If the DM so allows this is his roll: [roll0]

I'm not sure that should be a success at any rate, though. :smallamused:

Samm
2010-06-17, 06:37 AM
Nathaniel, happy to stay out of this says, "I only gamble on my strength, speed and toughness. These aren't in order, so, I'll stay out... Sorry... I don't like risking money..."

Jair Barik
2010-06-17, 08:35 AM
The song goes down well with the assembled people there is some applause the occasional wolf whistle and so on.

Dardan seems almost disappointed.
"Very well, very well... But you know information is a valuable asset, greater than any sword or shield. If you wish to ask me any question I shall answer to the best of my ability only asking that you repay me one question in kind."

More food is ebeing brought round now, excellent dishes of mouth watering food, cooked meats and fresh fruits.

Ella
2010-06-17, 06:32 PM
Agnes starts to work her way into a dance routine to try to engage her audiences attention further, she just hopes that the others wont make any terrible mistakes in manners in her absence.

Having no idea how well seduction translates into other cultures, she starts to perform a slightly modest dance that while still attractive had never managed to cause a tavern fight or had a patron thrown out for attempting to touch her.

dance:[roll0]

Samm
2010-06-18, 01:21 AM
"Look, I'm not really one for games... I might think of something to ask you... later..."

Nathaniel is unsure of what to ask. He doesn't really feel he needs to much information, as of yet. A question about the Nine Swords might be useful, but he's unsure of what it'll yield, and whether it's a good idea. "Other people might be after it. You never know..."

He waits for others to start eating the food served, especially humans, to make sure it's perfectly edible. He then starts eating the meal.

Jair Barik
2010-06-20, 02:28 AM
For whatever reason you are here it seems as though you have been invited into the circle of Dardan's main lackies. There is a clear difference between those at the table and those elsewhere in the room in how they seem to look at the strange little man.

Samm
2010-06-20, 02:45 AM
Nathaniel is unsure of to make of all this, the difference in behaviour between those at the table and the others in the room is putting Nathaniel off slightly. Nevertheless, he starts eating his food trying his best, but ultimately failing to enjoy it.

Calenestel
2010-06-21, 05:11 AM
After giving the quiz a good thought as the host and its employees are busy watching Agnes' show Borts finally shrugs and shakes his head. "Ye know. I don't know if I've ever heard where they come from? Up north I'd guess, but no. I guess I owe ye a few pieces, eh?"

Without much of a sour face he picks up the five copper pieces and leaves them in a little tower in front of their host. Then he flashes it a wide grin. "Right. Now it's my turn, aye?"

Jair Barik
2010-06-21, 05:19 AM
"No, no no. It seems the game is not to your liking so you can keep your money. Still, it does make me curious what three souls such as yourselves are doing headed out down river. Tell me... where is your destination after Aol?"

Calenestel
2010-06-21, 05:35 AM
"Nay. I offered to bet with ye fair and square. I won't take back what ye hon'stly won. But I won't bother trying to outsmart ye, and not all fightin' is headwork." Still grinning the dwarf seems not to have noticed the creatures probing question about their reasons to travel. It would be unwise to tell it, he was sure, but he wasn't a good liar, he knew that too. "I said: Ye pick a game and then I'll choose another. Tell me. How ye feelin' about armwreastlin'."

Ella
2010-06-21, 05:35 AM
Agnes continues to perform for the crowd, her intention for the night was to shock the crowd with her skills, to silence and and all criticism, this is to be her shining moment within her career so far.

She starts to feel a different beat in her mind, and a new song to sing. She feels herself losing her thoughts to the music, her training and weak fey blood taking over.

sing[roll0]
dance[roll1]

Jair Barik
2010-06-21, 05:45 AM
Dardan smiles.
"Who between? Me and you, or you and one of my companions."

The gathered crowd are quite astounded by the song and dance, it is indeed magnificent.

Ella
2010-06-21, 07:47 AM
Agnes finishes up the song and dance number, her blood singing as it races through her body. She rejoins the table with Dardan and her two companions. "So what did you think sir"

She puts her cloak on against, pulling it close to her skin, covering herself up a little more than she usually would.

"Am I doing alright?"

Calenestel
2010-06-21, 07:49 AM
The dwarf grins widely now, wide enough to almost touch his ears. Their host showed a good head, that much was sure, and he enjoyed this bandying of words. Even if it was much due to the thought of taking on the creature in a more physical rematch. "Since I didnae have a champion for yer challenge do ye really think it fair for ye to get away tha easily?" His words might be pointed, he still was a little... testy for not getting to dice with Dardan, but his friendly, if laughing, tone of voice took the edge out of them.

Samm
2010-06-22, 03:34 AM
Nathaniel chuckles, grins and stretches. He knows that he's pretty strong, he also knows that he'll probably be able to beat a whole number of people here, but he abstains, for the moment"Probably should save it for later. We'll let Borts test the water..." . He then says, "I'd love to see one between Borts and one your strongment. Borts is pretty hefty, but I'm sure one of your men should be quite a match for him..."

Jair Barik
2010-06-22, 06:45 AM
"It seems though that your friend wishes to wrestle with me. So be it then."

Dardan puts one arm onto the tabel and prepares to grip your arm.

(Stength check at a DC of [roll0])

Ella
2010-06-22, 07:03 AM
"Do many of your crew speak common?" Agnes asks.

Calenestel
2010-06-23, 12:15 AM
"Fer five coppers, then."
Smiling, Borts takes a seat opposite to Dardan and grips his hand in a firm but not crushing grip. When he feels their host finding a balance he calmly presses down. The ease by which the dwarf wrestles Dardan's arm into the table is obvious. And it's also obvious that he takes it easy on his frail host. Not to humiliate him, but so as not to harm him.

And with a friendly grin the suddenly not-so-surly dwarf pockets his own five copper pieces again. "Right. Ye got tha brains and I got tha brawns. As long as ye keep yerself out of me reach I'll never have a chance in Baator. Just not get cornered." With a surprisingly sly wink the dwarf then picks up a silver coin instead, putting it on the table. "Now, since tha' hardly was a fair match. Let's see wha' kind o' champion ye had in mind." There is a new respect in the dwarf's tone when speaking to their host now. The man... thing... was respectful and honourable. Enough so to offer no excuses when being challenged to a game he had no chance in winning. That was very much to be honoured by any respectable dwarf.

Samm
2010-06-23, 02:54 AM
Nathaniel watches eagerly, he wants to know how strong Dardan is, and how strong Borts is as well. He's contemplating armwrestling Dardan, or one of his henchmen, but he's unsure, he first wants to see how Borts does.

Jair Barik
2010-06-23, 09:49 AM
The snake lady seems impressed by Agnes dancing and so as dardan is busy with the challenges she answers the question.

"Oh all of the crew know common, and most all of them speak it with a few notable exceptions," her head titls in the direction of the tongueless kobold and the big bug creatures.

At the table Dardan stretches his arm a bit after the defeat and smiles.
"Brains do me well, they let me hire my brawn you could say. As for another match... well I feel one of my champions would not be a fair fight, they are too you what you are too me I feel."

Ella
2010-06-23, 12:51 PM
Agnes starts to explore the room, walking around and looking for anyone interesting to make conversation with, so many different races in one room had such a captivating effect on her. She tries her best to act subtle while scouting out which members of the crew were paying attention to her.

Is there a check to see who is most interested?

Calenestel
2010-06-24, 12:20 AM
With a shrug the dwarf pockets his silver again. "Very well, then. Some other time, maybe. Now, do ye have some decent ale here?" Quite satisfied with the outcome of the whole deal, even if he didn't get to dice, the dwarf looks around for refreshments.

Jair Barik
2010-06-24, 05:14 AM
Borts can easily get his hands upon a good beer. Imported dwarven bear nonetheless and quite strong.

Agnes has her pick of people to try and speak to. The vast majority of the crew are men but there are a few women as well. Those most interested in her seemed to be humanoid, a few orcs too but on the whole the more exotic races seemed less interested in her dancing, especially the reptiles and Gnolls.

Ella
2010-06-24, 05:22 AM
Borts will cover the dwarves hopefully, and perhaps they will be able to get information from our host... Agnes heads towards the nearest group of humans.

"So tell me, what did you think of the dancing lads?" she asks.

Samm
2010-06-24, 05:53 AM
Nathaniel follows Borts over for some refreshments, he is a little cautious of drinking alcohol, so he doesn't get any for the time being. Doubting that anyone's really that much stronger than him, Nathaniel says, "Dardan said his champions are really strong... I wonder if he's exaggerating or anything."

Calenestel
2010-06-25, 01:12 AM
"Tha' one be a smart one, lad. I wouldn't be surprised if'n he had some real heavy brawlers on his side, ye know? Maybe I'll seek them out one day. But now, let's just enjoy ourselves. And our host's good spirits." Snatching a dwarven ale from a tray and drawing a heavy draught the dwarf then heads for the dwarves he had seen before. If he could get to know them he would also learn a lot of Dardan. Are they the usual, honourable dwarves then their host must be likewise, only rogues and outcasts would serve an evil or dishonourable master.

Whether Nathanial follows him or not he greets his kin in the rocky, dwarven tongue.
<"Never thought to meet dwarves here, brothers. It glads my heart to be wrong, I must tell you. Say, might I join you?">

Samm
2010-06-25, 03:28 AM
Nathaniel sits at the bar alone, unsure of what to do. Large social events with strangers seem alien to him, so he stays by himself. With nothing really better to do, he decides to have a drink, a quick one. "Can I have an ale?"

Jair Barik
2010-06-27, 05:57 AM
Agnes
One of the men turns and looks Agnes over. "Aye it was a good a dance as any fya ask me. You joinin the business or just be rented entertanent fer the trip of ye dint mind me askin."

Borts
The dwarves laugh drunkenly at their fellow dwarf. <"Hahaha! An what mountains are you coming from then? Not that it matters, all be welcome here for a drink! Fawks is from up in the far north an Verl there is from the Sunless realms!>" the dwarf referred to as Fawks appears to have green scales dotted about his skin, a serpentine look to his eyes and small fangs, Verl is pale with a pasty complexion and wheres blacked out glasses over his eyes.

Nathaniel
The bar is more than willing to accomidate Nathaniel and several other interesting folks sit there too. Another Jackalkin (albeit one much smaller in height), a large Lizardman with wings and a strange tiger headed man with strange backward hands all sit at the bar.

Ella
2010-06-27, 08:17 AM
"Just for the trip I'm afraid, if I wasn't on such an adventure I have to admit I would be tempted to find my place here."

Agnes leans against the table, trying to show off her figure.

"You know, I still have no idea what you actually do here."

Jair Barik
2010-06-27, 08:25 AM
The man looks at you curiously. "Its Darden. We do whatever Darden does. He's a business man and an untouchable, trades in most anything. Lost artifacts, exotic animals, rare spices, people, heck one time rumour was he was selling dragons eggs."

Ella
2010-06-27, 08:36 AM
"Does he often rescue desparate adventurers from the docks and allow them to work for their passage, he was a true lifesaver in that regard."

Jair Barik
2010-06-27, 08:50 AM
"Couldn't say. Might be he thinks he owns you now. Don't know much about his species but I know one thing, they have very different ideas about posessions than most do. Either that or he had some existing interest in you. Don't really know the boss but I'd hardly call him the giving kind."

"Everything has a price and Darden always pays his debts," another man chimes in.

"Aye. Darden always pays his debts."

Ella
2010-06-27, 09:26 AM
"Your boss is certainly causing me a great deal of interest, I cannot help but wonder when he will tip his hand then, regarding what he desires."

Agnes stands up again, pushing her chest out, her shoulders back and giving the men a smile.

"So tell me, do you know of any crew members on this boat who know the area between Aol and the Shifting Sands?"

Jair Barik
2010-06-27, 09:59 AM
All of those in Agnes immediate vicinity break down into laughter after this last remark but it is not apparent what the joke is.

Ella
2010-06-27, 10:22 AM
"With such an amazing diverse crew, surely someone will have local knowledge, someone can advise me on the best mode of travel the safest, the wisest. Please wont you tell me."

Samm
2010-06-28, 02:53 AM
Nathaniel takes a sip of his ale, he asks a man next to him. "What exactly does this Dardan guy do, he seems pretty successful? Why is that so?"

Jair Barik
2010-06-28, 03:45 AM
Agnes
"Lady, listen an you might learn something. Dardan collects and trades artifacts. Aint nowhere in the world better for finding them than the scourged sands. Much everyone on boards done the trip from Aol to there. Think that may be where Darden's headed next once he finishes whatever trade hes got in Aol."

Nathaniel
Tha jacklekin turns and looks nathaniel up and down.
"Whats it to ya meesta? Fact, watcha doin on board ifen ya don't know what Darden does?"

Ella
2010-06-28, 05:07 AM
Agnes fails to suppress a grin, the idea that their mysterious benefactor might be heading the same way that they were was tempting, very tempting.

"That news has just made my day, tell me do you think you handsome lot will be heading along with him?"

Calenestel
2010-06-28, 10:17 AM
<I'm Borts Stormaxe from the Parched Peaks.> Raising his ale for a hearty draft Borts eyes the other dwarves with interest, considering how to go about the questions he would like to ask. <And I'm actually heading back now. I've been away for a while and it'll be good to breath the fresh airs of the mountains again. How about you, brothers? Been long since you saw your homelands?>

Jair Barik
2010-06-28, 10:45 AM
Borts

"Don't need em. Bunch of dirty low lives and degenerates with no sense of ambition, only nostalgia and the grandeur of an age long lost." Verl speaks with unhidden contempt in his words but none of the other dwarves seem to care.

"Been awhile since I last saw home," cuts in Fawks. "We were headed that way while back, month or so ago now, but seems they got some war going on up north. Northerners fighting someone other than the Senate an rathgan for once it seems."

"Who cares who them kobolds are fightin? Chances are its some civil war between them going on up there. Some of those crazy blighters still follow the dragons a know. Not most but some. I'm not from the parched peaks personally put... but its always nice ta travel through the mountains ifen ya ask me."

Agnes
" On an artifact collecting trip? Chances are we will all be going along for the ride. Won't all be coming back though."

Ella
2010-06-28, 11:17 AM
"Whats your name friend, I had best get to know you all because I rather think your boss will be asking us to assist on this venture"

Samm
2010-06-29, 04:41 AM
Nathaniel
Tha jacklekin turns and looks nathaniel up and down.
"Whats it to ya meesta? Fact, watcha doin on board ifen ya don't know what Darden does?"

"I'm travelling with that dancer, you know." He stretches a little. With a little venom, Nathaniel says, "Look, he offered us a ride, and we agreed. That fair? I'm curious, if that's what you want to know. Also, I don't think you've answered my question."

Jair Barik
2010-06-29, 05:24 AM
Agnes
"Don't you go try learning peoples names missy. Never works out here. Learn the important ones and leave it at that then try to keep out of their way if possible. But don't let them know that. If they approach you don't run off and don't ignore them."

Nathaniel
"Fine then. He's as slava and a trada. But dats his business so ifen ya don't like it live with it."

Ella
2010-06-29, 07:28 AM
"I appreciate your time, and I hope we get to talk again incase we end up going separate ways."

Agnes starts to continue exploring the room, the crew and how much of a reaction her dance caused. She heads towards a man she assumes might be an elf.

"Good Evening, my name is Agnes, and I was wondering just what you thought of my dance."

Calenestel
2010-06-29, 09:17 AM
<Yes. I haven't been away that long. But I missed the high altitudes almost from day one. That and the ale. Didn't think I'd find proper ale among any but the "Bearded Folk"...> Smiling Borts again raises his flagon and drinks deep. It was good to have a proper drink for once. <You're employer do know how to entertain a dwarf. I'll give him that.>

Jair Barik
2010-06-29, 09:45 AM
Borts
<"Aye but don't go insulting him. He is a fine one for holding a grudge is our employer. Holds them betteren any, better than a dwarf even. Always settles his debts you can be sure of that".

Agnes
The elf frowns and looks aat you in a bemusde manner. He doesn't seem to comprehend what you are saying.

Ella
2010-06-29, 09:58 AM
Agnes tries again in elvish <"I saw you watching me dance and was wondering what you thought of it. I fancy it was rather different from the styles within the The Forest of Otrian.">

OOC: Agnes knows Common, Elvish and Sylvan :)

Jair Barik
2010-06-29, 10:24 AM
<"I do not care for dancing. It reminds me too much of the forests. I am sorry if you thought I was watching but I generally care little for the entertainments master Darden puts on.">

Ella
2010-06-29, 10:36 AM
<"You mean there are regular entertainments? I have actually never seen the forests it is a point of regret I have, imagine an entertainer who hasn't tried to get training there. I am quite sorry for disturbing you though, you seem distracted.">

Samm
2010-07-01, 03:19 AM
Nathaniel
"Fine then. He's as slava and a trada. But dats his business so ifen ya don't like it live with it."

"It's fine with me. I'm wondering if he collects rare artefacts. Does he?"

Nathaniel relaxes a little and takes a more laid back stance.

Jair Barik
2010-07-01, 04:00 AM
Nathaniel
"Aye. I would think so least. He sells most what e finds off ta others but I'd be willin ta bet e keeps some o what e ets fer imself."

Agnes
"<Fairly regular I would think. Not every night but many.>"

Samm
2010-07-02, 05:26 AM
Nathaniel is interested what Dardan is collecting. He wants to know what, where, how and why. But he decides to excerise a little restraint.

"Hmm... How does he get such artefacts? I'm looking for some myself."

Jair Barik
2010-07-02, 05:41 AM
Nathaniel
"Wanders out with some men into the desert. if he spots a tomb heads towards it. The usual. Cept often times he gets much luckier en others. He seems good a choosin what place ta randomly go lookin."

Agnes
"<I'm sorry I can't be much help but I am here to look after my master Ki'Theas. Not to enjoy myself."

Samm
2010-07-02, 06:10 AM
"Hmm... That's rather odd. I thought he'd have some kind of trick to it. Guy like him seems like he doesn't rely on luck..."

Nathaniel trails off, in thought wondering how Dardan is so successful at finding rares.

Ella
2010-07-02, 02:36 PM
<"Ki'Theas?"> Agnes asks, slightly puzzled that the elf would have a master apart from Darden.

Jair Barik
2010-07-02, 02:52 PM
"<Master Ki'Theas. An elven noble from the Great Forest under whom I serve."> The elf points down the table to another elf not too far away.

Ella
2010-07-02, 02:59 PM
<"Thank you for your assistance."> Agnes stands up and takes a good look at this elven Lord, that sounded just like the sort of man she needed to get to know, but for now she had something more important to do.

She walks back to Darden, "Your crew are most charming, but I fear I may have been neglecting you, dear host."

Jair Barik
2010-07-02, 03:02 PM
Darden smiles baring some of his fangs (wether this is natural or not is unclear)"Not at all my dear. Please, feel free to go and talk amongst the crew. As it just so happens me and my friends were just discussing some business so I would rather you come back in a few minutes time."

One of the two big bugs takes a step towards Agnes but Darden stays it with a gesture from his hand.

Ella
2010-07-02, 03:14 PM
Nodding in agreement Agnes heads over towards Ki'Theas, a little curious about what an elven lord would look like up close, and even more interested in what one was doing here.

As she approaches him, she pauses waiting for his notice before she does her best attempt at a curtsey. She tries elven again hoping she comes across more educated than she ever was. "<Good evening your Lordship.>"

Cadian 9th
2010-07-02, 07:11 PM
The Elf looks up, smiling pleasantly. Handsome and young looking, Kitheas cuts a striking figure, yet withdrawn and frail somewhat. He has long-ish white hair and green eyes.

" Good day, Fair Lady. I am Kitheas, what are you called? " He says, in an elven acent.

Ella
2010-07-03, 03:42 AM
"Agnes, your lordship" she responds, still shocked by finding an elven Lord on such a ship, it was rare enough to find one outside the forests, but here of all places.

"So how did you find the performance."

Samm
2010-07-03, 03:43 AM
Nathaniel takes a look around, unsure of what to do, he decides to catch up with Agnes. He makes his way over to Kitheas and Agnes. He takes a seat. With a bit of a smirk, he says, "Well, well, well, what do we have here? The name's Nathaniel. Yours?"

Cadian 9th
2010-07-03, 07:54 PM
Kitheas nods to Nathaniel in a royal way, then says again : " I am Kitheas Humanheart, Elven Noble. The performance was excellent. In all my years of having to sit through sorrowful Elven dances with the Elven Aristocracy, yours is entrancing. " he pauses. A slight glance to his faithful servant reveals his internal memories.

" And to you, Nathaniel. What is your star? "

Samm
2010-07-04, 05:37 AM
Nathaniel is a little perplexed by the term "star". "Uh star? I'm a pit-fighter, I don't really have any stars, I'm more of guy who beats people up or cuts them in half. I just tagged along with her. Oh and there's the other guy Borts. Dwarf, an axeman."

Ella
2010-07-04, 11:50 PM
"So perhaps you might humour me, your lordship, I cannot help but wonder what you are doing on this vessel.'

Agnes keeps up her coy act, hoping it will lead to more information.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-05, 12:05 AM
" I Apologise, Nathaniel. I am so used to speaking with Lucius - We elves follow a star, a light, a guidance. I meant to ask of your path, and you have answered. You seem rather experienced? "

Kitheas sighs.

" I am not named Human Heart for no reason. I acted passionately many times, against the ways of the elves, calm and patience. I wished to acheive something, like a human. I was not content to wait - on many occasions this pushed me into strife and conflict with the other lords. In time, my prestige fell, and the other nobles tended to regard me as nothing but a formality, the last of my line. "

He looks to the table, remembering the death of his community... His pleas to the other Nobles to help him rebuild a life for his people...

Yeah, guys, keep asking. I didn't want to unload everything in one masssive post.

Samm
2010-07-05, 03:48 AM
"Don't worry about it. Yeah, I've fought in the pits for quite some time. Before that I used to travel around in the desert. It was... Rough.

Nathaniel takes a sip from his ale. He wipes his face with his sleeve.

"All I really want to do is move upward in the world, to be somebody, you know."

Cadian 9th
2010-07-07, 08:16 PM
Kitheas

" And when my Community was slaughtered mercilessly, anhiliated but for a few survivors, I appealed to the others for Aid. I desperately wanted to make a home for the survivors, even if I lost my status as a Noble. " Kitheas laments.

" If only I had understood how better to negotiate. The other elves turned their back on us. I kept trying, and so now I am not even worth a second thought to the other nobles. I am Iridien, leader of the dead people. That is what they call me. " he says, bitterly.

" And so, Darden got lucky and "obtained" an elven noble. Without a second thought, I was swapped over. I could only take Lucius with me, the other survivors I was forced to let fend for themselves in a world that is closed to them... "

Kitheas stops, lost in grief. He feels he has failed his people...

" I am sorry. It is not fair to dim your day with such dire tales of woe and misfortune. "

Samm
2010-07-08, 06:58 PM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel wonders how old this elf is, what he's done in life and how did he become a noble in the first place. He wants to know how he moved up in society, but he doesn't ask. He thinks it'd look odd, and it'd appear superficial. Nathaniel realises there are more pressing questions, "I can ask those when I get to know him better..."

"What's Dardan like?"

Ella
2010-07-10, 02:52 AM
Agnes listens to the elfs story of woe patiently, for his past was truly tragic however it was tiresome, she was in the mood to celebrate their good fortune, and she was particularly keen to negotiate with Dardan.

"If you two gents will excuse me, I have some business to attend to." She explains and she slinks back towards Dardan's table.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-10, 03:26 AM
Kitheas

" Why, Darden is like Water. He is lovely, yes, but can kill you without effort. He is Water in the way he deals with society, slipping through the gaps and wearing opponents down. He is Water in his mood and words, like the waterfall that can result from a still stream when the Rain storm breaks. " Kitheas says.

Jair Barik
2010-07-10, 04:35 AM
It appears as though Darden's business is coming to a close over at his table and some of his 'advisors are now starting to leave the party. For the time being though Darden remains behind.

Ella
2010-07-10, 04:41 AM
"Darden, I don't suppose you would have a moment, I would like to express my gratitude for your great kindness, and perhaps even make you an offer that would be to our, uh mutual benefit." Agnes watches him carefully, still puzzled by what exactly their host was.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0]

Samm
2010-07-10, 06:44 PM
Kitheas

" Why, Darden is like Water. He is lovely, yes, but can kill you without effort. He is Water in the way he deals with society, slipping through the gaps and wearing opponents down. He is Water in his mood and words, like the waterfall that can result from a still stream when the Rain storm breaks. " Kitheas says.

Nathaniel

"Right... He can kill us without effort... that's a worry... I guess I won't be able to start too many fights over here..."

Nathaniel takes a little think, he believes Kitheas to be trustworthy enough and asks him the question. "Have you heard of the Nine Swords, especially Unfettered? Would know anything about them?"

Cadian 9th
2010-07-10, 07:18 PM
Kitheas

" The Nine Swords? They are the swords of nine legendary martial heroes. Each hero founded a discipline both directly and indirectly, focusing on a style of combat. For example, I learnt some of the techniques of the White Raven: A discipline focused on teamwork and strategy as a warrior of the elven houses. "

Martial lore check: [roll0] and history [roll1]
EDIT: I think I know a lil bit, so I'll answer... assuming this is the same nine swords.

Samm
2010-07-10, 10:06 PM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel is put-off by Kitheas' response. He's slightly frustrated, Kitheas gave him the answer he didn't want. "Okay... But would you have any idea of where it is? "

Cadian 9th
2010-07-11, 01:00 AM
Kitheas

" Where it is? Sorry. I do not know where the Nine Swords are. Are we talking of the same Nine Swords? " Kitheas says diplomatically. Nathaniel strikes him as loyal and wise yet lacking in comprehension and grammar.

Um, what samm? I answered your question fine. You ask me about the nine swords, I tell you. Kitheas doesn't know about Unfettered.

Jair Barik
2010-07-11, 01:49 AM
Agnes
Darden turns and puts his 'hands' together resting his head upon them. "Business then? Well I do love business. So tell me, what do you have in mind?"

Kitheas
Kitheas training has made him aware that some time in the past there was said to be a sword related to each of the nine disciplines but that is purely the stuff of legend now and he has no idea wether they ever even existed in the first place.

Ella
2010-07-11, 01:53 AM
"I am not just going to Aol my dear friend, I intend to travel into the shifting sands and explore, look for adventure and search for rare and priceless relics. I hear you are in that line of business, is that true?" Agnes decideds to be honest with him, in the hope of inspiring confidence in her, trust was something she intended to earn from him.

Jair Barik
2010-07-11, 05:07 AM
"That is my destination also. I have... business down that direction. Tell me, what in particular do you hope to find there?"

Ella
2010-07-11, 05:17 AM
"My fortune of course, do you think I intend to spend my life dancing, there is truly nothing sadder than a elderly tavern dancer." Agnes replies, she looks over her shoulder at her companions, trying to figure out just how forgiving they could be.

"Could I have your word as a gentleman, that you will not hinder us in any way, should our goals be at cross purposes? I feel you are most trustworthy, however what we seek has great sentimental power to some, and it would perhaps cause you an ethical dilemma if I were to tell you before I get such a promise from you." Agnes moves seductively, turning her body, trying to put the best light possible on her face. She pouts her lips and bats her eyelashes. She still has not figured out what sort of creature Darden might be, and just hopes deep inside that he might find her alluring in some way.

Jair Barik
2010-07-11, 12:54 PM
Darden sniggers lightly.

"My dear, my only regret is that I arrived in port late and was not here last night. I can't really promise you anything but I will cut you a deal. Safe passage for you and your friends to Shadeshearst and all I ask in return is that you tell me which of the nine it is you think is in the shifting sands."

Ella
2010-07-11, 12:57 PM
"Lets up the stakes, I hear you even trade in people, what do you think I am currently worth. You do like a gamble do you not." Agnes bites her lower lip nervously.

Samm
2010-07-12, 04:28 AM
Kitheas

" Where it is? Sorry. I do not know where the Nine Swords are. Are we talking of the same Nine Swords? " Kitheas says diplomatically. Nathaniel strikes him as loyal and wise yet lacking in comprehension and grammar.

Um, what samm? I answered your question fine. You ask me about the nine swords, I tell you. Kitheas doesn't know about Unfettered.

Nathaniel

Nathaniel slightly disappointed, looks to the floor. He sighs, "Okay, I guess you can't really help me then."

Look, it's role-playing, Nathaniel has a short temper. He doesn't like fooling around, he wants to make progress.

Jair Barik
2010-07-12, 04:48 AM
Darden leans back in his seat.

"Does it matter what I think you are worth? Tell me, what sorts of stakes are you thinking, what contest and so forth."

Ella
2010-07-12, 06:14 AM
"I am thinking I might very well be the stakes." Agnes replies, she reaches a hand up behind her head and unties the hair ribbon binding it. "You do of course want the blade, tell me is it just this one you require, or are you attemping to collect them all. "

"Unfettered lays within the shifting sands."

Jair Barik
2010-07-12, 12:22 PM
"And you still avoid the issue of what you are gambling on. You wish to gamble your life...or freedom in the very least, but on what wager, for what prize?"

Ella
2010-07-13, 07:39 AM
"Why that I can retrieve the blade within the next year, and I will keep you informed as we go how close we are to doing so. Is it the blade that you so desire?" Agnes replies.

Jair Barik
2010-07-13, 03:33 PM
Darden shakes his head.
"Word games... will land you in trouble my dear. You wish for me to grant you resources, to find the sword, and should you fail then I win you. but it seems as though if you do find it then you do not intend to give it to me, am I correct?"

Ella
2010-07-14, 01:03 AM
"Perhaps not, but wouldn't you prefer to have a chance to get it. Knowledge like that I offer you has a great deal of value don't you think. I cannot give you the blade that we don't have yet and are contracted by another to recover and I don't believe you would trust me for a moment if I did make such an offer. I am simply offering all that I can, and showing my words to be true by offering to back them up with the thing of greatest value I possess." Agnes smiles at him again, hoping that he is as interested in the blade as he appears to be.

Jair Barik
2010-07-14, 04:54 AM
"Very well then. I will cut you a deal, you will travel with my caravan to the shifting sands, no cost and I will supply you with a small force of man power with which to uncover the sword within a years passage. The group will be mutually agreed upon between the two of us, perhaps four of my 'guests' and companions yes? You are to inform me of your progress and should you find it I will offer you a very generous compensation, much higher than what ever Alarev is offering you. Should you fail to find it then at the end of the year you will fall into my ownership along with any of your possessions, your two friends will be alowed to keep their freedom. Sound good to you? I would think carefully on my words and about who you trust, I am willing to bet your previous employer did not give his name."

Ella
2010-07-14, 06:05 AM
"It is agreed, and I accept your terms." Agnes offers him her hand.

"I do confess, he did not introduce himself, nor explain much that I wish he had." Agnes drops her internal guard, finding it easier to relax now that she had come to an arrangement. "I do not know that I trust you completely Darden, however I have so far found you to be nothing more than honest, forthcoming and true and those are the sort of qualities that might turn a girls head." She gives him one last grin before standing up.

"I must consult with my companions and explain what is going on, perhaps I will follow that by going to bed if that pleases you."

Jair Barik
2010-07-14, 08:27 AM
"My species reproduces by having the eldest members grow into bloated and deranged sacks of flesh literally bursting with their offspring. Iam only telling you this to assure you that you have nothing that interests me. Now gop discuss our little agreement with your friends."

Ella
2010-07-14, 09:34 AM
"In that case may you have many more years of sanity."

Agnes strolls over to Nathaniel and taps him on the shoulder. "I have news, that should interest you, come with me to Borts so we can discuss it please."

Samm
2010-07-15, 05:51 AM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel turns around surprised,"Oh... It's you, thought you're something else... Okay, let's get get Borts, Kitheas,you coming with us? It looks like Agnes may have stumbled upon something..."

Ella
2010-07-15, 06:41 AM
Agnes walks over to the dwarf, not even looking back to check who is in her wake, she taps him on the shoulder before leaning forwards and whispering in his ear "time for a quick discussion before bed."

Calenestel
2010-07-15, 07:20 AM
"Right." After a quick nod towards Agnes the dwarf looks again to his kinsmen. Standing up and hoisting his flagon he toasts them all, this time keeping the conversation in Common. "It's been grand talkin' to ye, me brothers. I hope to see ye all again. May yer beards ever be drippin' o' ale rather than vomit!" Draining his tankard, which had actually been more than half-full in a hearty swig the fighter then wipes his moustache with the back of his hand, slams the tankard down on the table and bows deep to the other dwarves before, without further words following his longlegged friends.

Sorry. Couldn't help but use the "traditional dwarven blessing" of :durkon:. This IS the OotS forum, after all. :smallbiggrin:

Ella
2010-07-15, 07:35 AM
"Borts, Nathaniel dear companions of mine, I have been discussing our situation with our host, and I have news most glad, he has offered his mighty assistance in recovering the sword Unfettered!" Agnes starts flowery in speech however her excitement begins to overwhelm her and she starts to talk faster.

"He is even offering us four assistants in our mission, now care to make a guess about what he is to receive in exchange?"

Samm
2010-07-16, 02:36 AM
Nathaniel

"Wait, this is almost too good to be true. It probably is..." Nathaniel pauses for a think, and then continues, "there's got to be a catch. Have you bargained on my freedom or something?"

Cadian 9th
2010-07-16, 02:58 AM
Kitheas

He rises from his chair and summons Lucius with a nod. Treading lightly, Kitheas arrives and listens to the others, nodding with agreement. He saw Agnes and Darden talking, and assumed something was happening...

" Of course, we are forever indebted to Darden. Speaking from experience, that is not something we want to be... I have not introduced myself, Dwarf. " Ki'theas says, somewhat suprised.

" I am Ki'theas. I was hoping to join you after having a somewhat inspiring conversation with Agnes and Nathaniel. " Ki'theas says, in a light voice.

Calenestel
2010-07-16, 04:21 AM
"If somethin' seem too good ta be true, tha's because it prob'bly is. I agree wi' Nathaniel. Wha's the catch, lass? Tell me the whole deal. Please."
The flowery speech seem to fall flat in front of the stubborn dwarf and there's a suspicious glint in his eyes when he studies Agnes. What had she gotten them into?

Then Ki'theas speaks up and with a surprised expression on his face the dwarf turns to study him. Dwarf? Is that a proper way of greeting someone? It is kind of typical of the dwarven/elven relationships, though, and a wry smile barely twists the corners of his mouth when he answers the greeting. "Hullo, elf. That's masterDwarf, if ye please. Or ye could just call me by me name. I'm Borts." The dwarf chuckles softly, but his eyes stay sharp as he studies the stranger. "Sooo... Ye're wantin' to tag along? What would ye do fer us? Ye elves seem to like magic... or are ye one of those sneaky, woodsy warriors?"
As he alludes to rangers there's a new glint to the dwarves eyes, a kind of respectful, almost admiring, interest.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-16, 04:47 AM
Ki'Theas

" I am Iridien, leader of a dead people. I fight to ease the suffering of the last of my people, my subjects, as their lord. Something, I believe, you Dwarves have something to bear with on that subject. I am skilled with the bow though more skilled with my blade. So, no, no magic dwarf... Just cold steel and courage. " Ki'theas says.

" Agnes, tell us what you have to tell. "

Ella
2010-07-16, 10:08 AM
"My own freedom, and no one elses is at stake if we do not recover the blade unfettered within a year. I did not put anyone else at risk nor did I consider it for a moment." Agnes replies.

"It must sound terrible, but in truth it is such a small cost after all you have seen his crew tonight, I cannot see any great harm in joining them." She pauses for a second and takes a deep breath. "I wanted to show him I was negotiating in good faith, and I think I was successful."

Calenestel
2010-07-17, 02:47 AM
As Agnes explains her deal Borts eyes widen steadily. As she finish he's simply shaking his head in disbelief. "Ye're daft, lass. Ye really are." There's a faint hint of mirth in his voice, though. The penalty seem not that harsh. Not for Agnes at any rate. But there's still some problems with the whole setup in the blackbearded dwarf's eyes. "But... What if we do find Unfettered? D'ye mean he's just goin' ta let us stroll of wit' it?"

Ella
2010-07-17, 02:50 AM
"Of course not, he is a businessman for the most part and what he will do is attempt to influence our decision about what should be done with it." Agnes smiles at her little victory of words there. "He wants the sword, and he wants it desparately enough to consider investing in us on the very very long shot we might see things his way. I think he may have lost many men to the sands to cause him to willing to even consider my terms."

Samm
2010-07-17, 05:26 AM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel chuckles, "Yeah Kitheas, I'll let you tag along."

Nathaniel, despite having a round of drinks is, still fairly alert, he his worried about Agnes, and her safety. He also's not sure about Dardan, "he can kill us without effort..."

Nathaniel shocked at the prospect says in a hushed voice, "Wait, Kitheas said Dardan can kill us without any effort. So if he's after the sword and we're keeping him up to speed on things, then he may turn on us... and we'll find ourselves fighting for our lives and we'll probably lose. Ah dammit, either way we're stuffed... especially if we're Agnes..."

Ella
2010-07-17, 09:31 AM
"I have studied the ancient stories you must remember dear friend, and from them I know heroes who seek to better the world without gain are the ones who live the longest. I sought little gain."

Samm
2010-07-17, 09:15 PM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel still unhappy with the way events have transpired says, "I don't know about you but, it seems we've made a nasty mistake... Though, not much we can do about it now..."

Calenestel
2010-07-18, 03:42 AM
"So what ye're sayin' is that he's willing to pay us for retrieving tha sword fer him?" The dwarf makes a sour grimace at that and shakes his head somewhat, wagging his black beard. "Ye'll just abandon our previous agreement like tha'? An' ta someone we dinnae even know we can trust to pay us?" It's realy hard to tell what part is the greatest crime in the dwarf's way of thinking. Abandoning one's word or not being sure to get paid for it.

Ella
2010-07-18, 06:00 AM
"We are under no obligation to give the sword to Darden, to to keep him informed about it. We are going to recieve his support in the recovery, for that little price. Our previous agreement in no way has been violated." Agnes smiles at the pair of them, and the friendly elf.

"I'm afraid I need my beauty sleep, I feel I should retire for the night unless you have other questions."

Samm
2010-07-18, 08:30 PM
Nathaniel

Slightly annoyed about the whole affair, but slightly tired and weary, he decides to call it a night. "Whatever guys, lets just hope this doesn't turn sour on us; I'm going to call it a night."

Nathaniel then heads off to his bedroom, and falls asleep on his bed.

Calenestel
2010-07-19, 02:07 AM
"Well, I must say tha' I have my qualm's about yer deal, lass. But ye cannae put tha iron back into tha mountain. An' thar's nae use in frettin' about it." With a yawn Borts follows along for their room. Or whatever it was called on a boat. Putting his axe close by to his bunk he looks to his new friends again. Especially Agnes. "Maybe we should take turns ta keep guard. I'll take the first four hours and wake ye later, lass. How does tha' sound?"