PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard: Worth it or not?

PhallicWarrior
2010-05-14, 03:33 PM
A well-meaning aunt got me Dragon Age for my mac as a present for finishing Freshman Year at University, but what she didn't know is that it requires SL to run. I only have Leopard, and I'm wondering whether I should spend $30 just to be able to play the game when I can sell it online, (it's unopened) and get it for my X360. This got me wondering if the new OSX is that much better. Anyone who has it want to comment on its usefulness beyond playing Dragon Age?

Penguinsushi
2010-05-14, 07:58 PM
I also am interested in any responses to this. I have leopard on my macbook & old imac and I've been wondering if upgrading is worth the cost, (minimal as it is, in the scheme of things). I'm less interested in it in terms of games, however.

~PS

Umael
2010-05-14, 08:43 PM
I cannot answer the technical issue, but I do have to ask if your aunt is a well-balanced individual. I would assume so and hope so, but if your aunt gave you a gift and you sold it, she could be offended.

So... do you have this angle covered?

Rawhide
2010-05-14, 09:19 PM
No idea if Snow Leopard is worth the upgrade or not, but if you determine that it is not (or that you don't have the specifications to run the game), then I would recommend the following course of action.

Tell your aunt that you very much appreciate her gift, but that it does not work on your system. Tell her that you still want the game but that it needs to be on this system (the 360). Unopened presents for incompatable systems are often returnable for a full refund within a certain time period. Check for any possible price differences first and I personally would suggest offering to cover any possible price differences yourself.

Cealocanth
2010-05-14, 09:22 PM
What's Lepoard? Is it a program?

arguskos
2010-05-14, 09:27 PM
What's Lepoard? Is it a program?
Leopard and Snow Leopard are operating systems for the Macintosh.

As for Snow Leopard, nah, I found it to be a negligible upgrade that fully ended Classic support in all possible ways and didn't add a huge amount. To be fair, Leopard also ended Classic support, but, you could still hack stuff to work on it. SL killed that dead as well. I actually reverted back to Leopard. :smallannoyed:

Mando Knight
2010-05-14, 10:00 PM
Gaming, on a Mac? Apparently, it's more likely than I'd think.

golentan
2010-05-14, 10:03 PM
I believe that the Mac version is Direct Download only, so if you've got a CD I'm guessing you have the windows version (I got it for my birthday for my Mac, meself). Can't tell you if it's worth it yet.

Thajocoth
2010-05-15, 12:46 AM
The game is pretty good, but is absolutely riddled with a very shameful quantity of bugs. The 360 version is the most riddled with bugs of all Dragon Age versions, so I do not recommend trading it in for that version. The modding community has patches for the PC that fix most of the issues, I believe. I don't know if there are user-made patches for the Mac.

Yes, the bugs are bad enough that end-users are patching the game... Yes, the game is good enough that end-users are willing to patch the game.

It's got World of Warcraft-ish combat/looting/equipment with Mass Effect-ish social interaction, and Dungeons & Dragons-ish themes. There are several DLCs for it that add to the game, though they don't all work flawlessly together... (Any loot gained from two of them vanishes if you load your character in the Awakenings DLC, which happens to be buggier than the main game to begin with and is sorta a half-sequel.)

Instead of working on fixes, BioWare is working on a sequel to the Awakenings DLC, which should be out soon.