PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Playing Guitar

Koury
2010-05-14, 05:12 PM
So, a few years ago I got a guitar for christmas. I was maybe, I dunno, 17? Well, despite all the best intentions, I never got around to ever learning to play it. I've kept it in nice condition over the years and just recently started messing around with it.

I've learned a few chords (G, A, C), and can play a few things recognizably now (hooray White Stripes songs being easy!) but I have trouble with some things that I'm sure are very basic.

If I'm playing this:

--------------------------------------------------------
----9--9--12--9--7--5--4---9--9--12--9--7--5--7--5--4--2

How do I hit just those strings without hitting others? I mean, I can do a little pincer-type move and do it just fine, but I know that thats not right. I think.

And then, in things like this:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-9-9x-9-9x-66666666666666664444444444444444--------------------------------|
D|-9-9x-9-9x-66666666666666664444444444444444--------------------------------|
A|-7-7x-6-6x-44444444444444442222222222222222--------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

and this:

E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G--12-12-12-12/16-16-16-16-14-14-14-14-14-19-19-19-19-19-12-12-12-12-12----------
D---x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x----------
A--10-10-10-10/14-14-14-14-12-12-12-12-12-17-17-17-17-17-10-10-10-10-10----------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do the Xs mean?

Last but not least, palm muting. I know it's placing my palm over the bridge of the guitar (right?), but... How do I know I'm doing it right?

Linkavitch
2010-05-14, 06:46 PM
To the first, try placing your hand behind the bridge so you're not actually palm muting. About palm muting, I don't really know what's right and wrong. I know you can have heavy PMing, where more of your hand is on the strings, and light, where it's less, but I don't think there's a *wrong* way to do it.

About the second spoilered thing, I think that's where you are muting the strings with your left hand, but still playing normally with right hand, making a stacatto-y sound. I may be wrong.

About the third, you're *somehow* supposed to mute only the middle string of the power chord, but I haven't quite figured out exactly how to do that yet.

Koury
2010-05-14, 07:11 PM
stacatto

*scratches head*

*Googles*

*Finds video*

*Learns (http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/staccato.html)*

To the first, try placing your hand behind the bridge so you're not actually palm muting. About palm muting, I don't really know what's right and wrong. I know you can have heavy PMing, where more of your hand is on the strings, and light, where it's less, but I don't think there's a *wrong* way to do it.

Yeah, I've seen tabs say 'Heavy mute here' and things like that. Makes sense. I just am kinda messing around in the dark, so to speak, on pretty much everything and don't know if I'm doing anything right. :smalltongue: This was just something I was more unsure of then other things.

About the third, you're *somehow* supposed to mute only the middle string of the power chord, but I haven't quite figured out exactly how to do that yet.

Oh, sounds exciting. I'm still learning how to transfer between chords with anything resembling speed, so you're doing better then me. :smallredface: I can go from G to A and back pretty easy (though it makes my A really sloppy), but C messes me up for some reason.

Linkavitch
2010-05-14, 08:29 PM
but C messes me up for some reason.

Don't worry, keep practicing. C was pretty hard for me to start with, too.

fknm
2010-05-14, 09:16 PM
If I'm playing this:

How do I hit just those strings without hitting others? I mean, I can do a little pincer-type move and do it just fine, but I know that thats not right. I think.
Learn better pick control? You should be able to start your strum between the A and D strings, and stop it before you hit the B string. That said, if you're having a really hard time, you can strum 5 of the strings (just avoiding the low E) pretty easily here and still be fine- play the dyads with your index finger as a barre, using the tip of the finger to mute the A string, and the rest of your finger to mute the strings you don't want to hear.

And then, in things like this:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-9-9x-9-9x-66666666666666664444444444444444--------------------------------|
D|-9-9x-9-9x-66666666666666664444444444444444--------------------------------|
A|-7-7x-6-6x-44444444444444442222222222222222--------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

and this:

B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G--12-12-12-12/16-16-16-16-14-14-14-14-14-19-19-19-19-19-12-12-12-12-12----------
D---x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x----------
A--10-10-10-10/14-14-14-14-12-12-12-12-12-17-17-17-17-17-10-10-10-10-10----------

What do the Xs mean?
I can't tell you the first example without knowing the song, but it probably wants you to mute the strings (gently touch them with your left hand, don't fret them) pretty quickly after strumming the chord.

As for the second example, as Linkavitch said, it's an Octave unison. Easiest way to play this is to use your index finger on the lower of the two notes, the ring finger on the higher one, and the middle finger just barely touching the string in between- done correctly, the middle string won't ring out. You can also use your index finger to do this while fretting the "root" note (not technically a root note, since it's a unison, but whatever), which is a bit harder to learn, but also a bit more versatile.

Last but not least, palm muting. I know it's placing my palm over the bridge of the guitar (right?), but... How do I know I'm doing it right?
Wrong!

Use the blade edge of your hand, as if you had just karate chopped the bridge of your guitar. You'll know if you're doing it right based on the tone it creates.

Useful articles:
http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/barre/index.php how to play barre chords (seriously, I'd like to know how long I was completely frustrated with this before I learned to use the correct surface on my index finger.)

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/palm-muting/index.php how to palm mute.

Koury
2010-05-14, 09:47 PM
OK, karate chop my guitar, got it :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, thank you, that was all very helpful. You can bet I'll be reading that all over more then once as I continue on my trek towards minor musical competence. :smalltongue:

And... I forget what song I pulled that 2nd tab from, bu the 1st is Seven Nation Army by White Stripes and the 3rd is Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot by Brand New. I'm pretty sure the 2nd one is also a Brand New song. :smallconfused:

ForzaFiori
2010-05-14, 10:52 PM
I don't know much about guitar (i'm a bassist myself) but Seven Nation Army rocks. First song I could play on bass, still one of my favorites.

Koury
2010-05-14, 11:28 PM
I don't know much about guitar (i'm a bassist myself) but Seven Nation Army rocks. First song I could play on bass, still one of my favorites.

Advice from a bassist? Oh... Hmm...

Better then a drummer, I suppose. :smallamused:

I keed, I keed

Random side question: How long until my fingers stop hurting? :smallredface:

EDIT: Also, I concur on the song being amazing. I can also play(ish) Hardest Button to Button, because my fingers litterally never have to move. My hand slides up and down, but yeah, no finger moving.

EDITx2: Also, any suggestions on an electric tuner? I'm mostly correctly tuned for standard (my 3rd and 4th are a bit off, but I can't fix it) but want to be able to switch to drop D too, and I simply couldn't do that by ear. Is there any reason to get a more expensive one, for instance, or do they all work pretty well?

fknm
2010-05-14, 11:41 PM
Random side question: How long until my fingers stop hurting? :smallredface:
Depends on a lot of factors. For me, it was a couple of months, but I had less problems in that area than some people do, apparently. The fact that when I was a beginner I played on heavier strings than normal (I was using 11's) probably lengthened my initial time. If, when you're done playing, you scuff the everliving crap out of every surface of your fingers on the strings of your guitar (the wound strings work better for this, obviously), you'll build your callouses faster. This will also, obviously, mean more pain in the short term.

EDITx2: Also, any suggestions on an electric tuner? I'm mostly correctly tuned for standard (my 3rd and 4th are a bit off, but I can't fix it) but want to be able to switch to drop D too, and I simply couldn't do that by ear. Is there any reason to get a more expensive one, for instance, or do they all work pretty well?
The el cheapo model is fine for anyone who isn't playing gigs. If you're gigging, a pedal is best, but that's probably a long way in the future...

Dispozition
2010-05-15, 04:00 AM

Drop the E string down, play E and A at the same time, they should be in harmony. If you still struggle, Drop D and 5th fret A are the same note, so tune them to each other.

Koury
2010-05-15, 02:35 PM
The el cheapo model is fine for anyone who isn't playing gigs. If you're gigging, a pedal is best, but that's probably a long way in the future...

What?! I know three whole chords! What else could I possibly need to kow to be ready to play actual gigs? :smallamused:

Thanks for all the advice so far though, everybody.

Anybody have any suggestions for songs that are good to learn? I can do all of Seven Nation Army (or at least this tab (http://www.guitartabs.cc/tabs/w/white_stripes/seven_nation_army_lead_guitar_part_tab.html) of it), though I'm a little slow switching to the chords, and I don't know how to move into the solo well (though I can do it no problem). I can do bits from a bunch of other songs (mostly other White Stripes and Nirvana stuff) but don't know where I should be looking for new songs.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-15, 05:11 PM

To tune to drop D without a tuner, tune your E string so that it's 7th fret is the same note as your A string, rather than it's 5th. (usually, you tune a guitar so that each 5th fret is the same note as the next string, except for the G string, where its the 4th fret to match it up to the B). By dropping those two frets, you move down two half-steps, or from E to D. There is your top string. If there are other strings to manipulate (Not sure if there are. On a bass, the E is the only one that changes) you can do the same thing, by simply finding out which fret would match when the string is changed, and matching that fret to the string beneath it. Also works for tuning without a tuner, as long as at least one of your strings is in tune.
When your playing by yourself, tuning to your guitar like that is more than fine from my experience. Playing with someone is the only real place you need an electric tuner.

Afraid I can't help you with simple songs. All my "simple songs" are only that way on bass. The Offspring, and Blink 182 doesn't sound too difficult, though I wouldn't know. You could also try to look up some "Three-Chord" bands (bands like Nirvana that use very few chords in all their songs). They are usually very easy to play.

fknm
2010-05-15, 05:18 PM
If you're into metal, some good songs to learn would be "Freezing Moon" by Mayhem, "Black Magic" by Slayer, anything from the first two Celtic Frost albums, or "Severed Survival" by Autopsy.

Of course, guessing form the other songs you posted, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're into into metal...

EDIT- I should add that I mean the rhythm guitar parts of the above songs. No, you're not going to be able to play Slayer solos as a beginner (hell, I've been playing for years, and I can't play Slayer solos).

Nameless
2010-05-15, 05:26 PM
I'm assuming that's Seven Nation Army, right? That's what it looks like anyway. e_e The only way I maybe able to explain is via video. It's just hard (at least for me) to explain that with the power of typing. And about the X thing, not sure if this has been answered but the way you play that is by sort of "muting" that string. Just put your finger over it gently so you hear a sort of "thump".

Actually, you might know all this already, but I'm too lazy to go back and read everything. Just ignore me. :smalltongue:

Koury
2010-05-16, 11:59 PM
Forza: Thanks for the suggestions, i'll certainly be looking into those songs. And thanks for the Drop D thing. I knew about the 5th fret thing, but not the 7th thing.

I should add that I mean the rhythm guitar parts of the above songs. No, you're not going to be able to play Slayer solos as a beginner (hell, I've been playing for years, and I can't play Slayer solos).

Hey now, maybe I'm some sort of prodigy. I mean, judging by the songs I'm having trouble learning (you know, all of them), probably not, but hey.

I'm halfway qualified to be some sort of idiot savant, maybe breaking into some beast solo will push me into the other half. :smallbiggrin:

Nameless: Yep, the first tab is Seven Nation Army. And thanks for the bit of advice (though I do feel the need to point out this thread is only like 15 posts long :smalltongue: )

Nameless
2010-05-17, 02:26 AM
Nameless: Yep, the first tab is Seven Nation Army. And thanks for the bit of advice (though I do feel the need to point out this thread is only like 15 posts long :smalltongue: )

Exactly. 15 long posts I'd have to read through in order to find out what's going on. :smalltongue:

Koury
2010-05-17, 04:23 AM
Exactly. 15 long posts I'd have to read through in order to find out what's going on. :smalltongue:

Huh? Wazzat? Oh, I'm sure you said something interesting, but I'd have to read like a whole sentence to know for sure. :smallamused:

I'm just teasing, of course :D

Nameless
2010-05-17, 09:33 AM
Huh? Wazzat? Oh, I'm sure you said something interesting, but I'd have to read like a whole sentence to know for sure. :smallamused:

I'm just teasing, of course :D

http://pw0nd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Dr.Epic
2010-05-17, 01:45 PM
First forget everything you've learned from Guitar Hero.

Koury
2010-05-17, 03:17 PM
First forget everything you've learned from Guitar Hero.

1stly, heck no! I'm making a run on being in the top 1000 in the world in Rock Band, and forgetting what I know would be counterproductive on that. (I'm like 1,200th-ish right now. Its hard to move up :smallmad:)

2nd, I'm under no illusions that skill in one equates to skill in the other.

3rd, I believe my years (<.<) playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band are nothing but a boon to my learning to play real guitar. They taught me to be able to keep rythem, even fast rythems, to be able to move my fingers quickly and slide my hand up and down a fretboard, and also made my pinky much stronger. No way my pinky could have held a string without my Rock Band practice.

4th, man, maybe I just always catch the bad ones but it seems like your posts are always such downers. Smile a bit.

~~~

Anyway, so today I had someone who was just passing by tell me they recognized the song I was playing. Yay! Who cares if it was about as easy a song as you can get (Brain Stew by Green Day), I take it as a good sign. :smallbiggrin:

I have two questions that came from this song though, that I can't figure out just by listening to it.

What are the asterisks here telling me to do:

Eb |---------------------------------------------------------|
Bb |---------------------------------------------------------|
Gb |---------------------------------------------------------|
Db |-7--5-5--4-4--3-3--2-2--7-7--5-5--4-4--3*-3*--x-x--2*-2*-|
Ab |-7--5-5--4-4--3-3--2-2--7-7--5-5--4-4--3*-3*--x-x--2*-2*-|
Eb |-5--3-3--2-2--1-1--0-0--5-5--3-3--2-2--1*-1*--x-x--0*-0*-|

Now, I can do this section just fine:

Eb |------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x---------|
Bb |------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x---------|
Gb |------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x----------x-x-x-x-x-x---------|
Db |-7-7--x-x-x-x-x-x-----5-5--x-x-x-x-x-x-----4-4--x-x-x-x-x-x-----3-3-|
Ab |-7-7--x-x-x-x-x-x-----5-5--x-x-x-x-x-x-----4-4--x-x-x-x-x-x-----3-3-|
Eb |-5-5--x-x-x-x-x-x--0--3-3--x-x-x-x-x-x--0--2-2--x-x-x-x-x-x--0--1-1-|

but this part gives me trouble:

Eb |-x-x-x-x----------x-x-------x-x-|
Bb |-x-x-x-x----------x-x-------x-x-|
Gb |-x-x-x-x----------x-x-------x-x-|
Db |-x-x-x-x-----3-3--x-x--2-2--x-x-|
Ab |-x-x-x-x-----3-3--x-x--2-2--x-x-|
Eb |-x-x-x-x--0--1-1--x-x--0-0--x-x-|

The part where you do the two muted strums in between. When I try to do the one near the 0,2,2's I always accedentally unmute the rest of the strings. Tricks? Or is it just a case of 'Get moar better'?

Vorpalbob
2010-05-17, 03:43 PM
In my experience, notes with an asterisk next to them sound cool if you bend the string, making a whammy bar-like effect. This is probably wrong, but if it sounds cool on an electric ukulele playing The Cars with my battery-powered amp in a shoulder bag walking down the street, then it's probably a good bet.

No joke. I actually do this.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-17, 04:19 PM
In my experience, notes with an asterisk next to them sound cool if you bend the string, making a whammy bar-like effect. This is probably wrong, but if it sounds cool on an electric ukulele playing The Cars with my battery-powered amp in a shoulder bag walking down the street, then it's probably a good bet.

No joke. I actually do this.

I've also seen asterisks denote a note you let ring, though that wouldn't help much (for instance, in Brain stew, usually you would play short, staccato notes. A note with an asterisk you let play until you play the next note, rather than muting or stopping the note quickly after playing)

Koury
2010-05-18, 04:07 AM
Hey, I found a song that is really good practice for moving up and down between strings (which is harder for me then moving up and down around the fret board).

The entire song (Fell In Love With A Girl by White Stripes) is basically two riffs. And by basically, I mean litterally.

Riff 1:

E |--------------------------------------------|
B |--------------------------------------------|
G |-4-4-4-4-4-------------7-7-7-7-7------------|
D |-4-4-4-4-4--7-7-7-7-7--7-7-7-7-7--2-2-2-2-2-|
A |-2-2-2-2-2--7-7-7-7-7--5-5-5-5-5--2-2-2-2-2-|
E |------------5-5-5-5-5-------------0-0-0-0-0-|

Riff 2:

E |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
B |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
G |-----------------------7-7-7-7-7-----------------------------------7p-|
D |-4-4-4-4-4--7-7-7-7-7--7-7-7-7-7--2-2-2-2-2--4-4-4-4-4--7-7-7-7-7--7p-|
A |-4-4-4-4-4--7-7-7-7-7--5-5-5-5-5--2-2-2-2-2--4-4-4-4-4--7-7-7-7-7--5p-|
E |-2-2-2-2-2--5-5-5-5-5-------------0-0-0-0-0--2-2-2-2-2--5-5-5-5-5-----|

Progression
Riff 1 (x3)
Riff 2
Riff 1 (x2)
Riff 2
Riff 1 (x2)
Riff 2
Riff 1 (x2)
Riff 2
Riff 1 (x2)
Riff 2

Yeah. Thats it.

So, anyway, I feel like this is good for practicing my basics (switching between strings). Any other good simply songs you guys can think of that are good for practicing some other basic aspect of playing?

Dispozition
2010-05-18, 04:28 AM
Hey, I found a song that is really good practice for moving up and down between strings (which is harder for me then moving up and down around the fret board).

If you want to get good at moving between strings and up and down the fretboard, often at the same time, get a chord chart. Play around with chord progressions (full chords at that, not this useless power chord crap that rock music uses these days) and you'll a) learn chords, b) get better at knowing where to place your fingers on the strings and fretboard in general.

I think you should learn basics before ruining yourself by only knowing power chords. Just my opinion.

Oh, and for those of you who might say "Oh, but Dispozition, you handsome rogue, power chords are used in everything these days so you may as well learn them!" To you I say BAH! If you learn full chords, the power chords are just smaller versions of these. If you know the proper chord for C, or the bar chord, you know the power chord, it's not that hard >:

Koury
2010-05-18, 05:26 AM
I'm all for that idea too. As a matter of fact, I think I have a poster somewhere of a bunch (all?) the chords. I dunno, I have a bunch of crap in a few places (byproduct of being homeless-ish, which is a by product of being jobless-ish, which is only because [insert explaination]).

Anyway, yes, fabulous idea. I'll look for that and practice things from it.

And while we're talking about learning the basics, is there any compelling reason to actually pay to have someone teach me stuff (keeping in mind my rather high level of, er, poor-ness)? Is there stuff that is easier or better to learn from a teacher then trying to learn by yourself?

EDIT: Dispozition, if I may ask, how did you get that nifty shifting avatar?

Dispozition
2010-05-18, 05:46 AM
And while we're talking about learning the basics, is there any compelling reason to actually pay to have someone teach me stuff (keeping in mind my rather high level of, er, poor-ness)? Is there stuff that is easier or better to learn from a teacher then trying to learn by yourself?

EDIT: Dispozition, if I may ask, how did you get that nifty shifting avatar?

In my opinion, yes. You'll get taught the proper techniques rather than getting there on your own and ending up doing them wrong. Scales and that will be taught to you, as will notation and how to read it which helps a lot.

As for my avatars, click on the link in my sig that says 'avatar gallery'.

smellie_hippie
2010-05-18, 05:47 AM
Lessons are a good idea. Having a teacher show you some theory and good basic chord structures and chord progression will help instill good guitar habits instead of bad guitar habits that you will need to break eventually.

Does that mean learning by ear and playing familiar songs is bad? Heck no! If I couldn't play anything I enjoyed and recognized, I wouldn't have stuck with it!

As for your poster of guitar chords. I would like to direct you to this site (www.chordie.com). Good listing of guitar tab from a variety of bands, both in numbered tab and in chord names, VERY thorough chord chart, and even a small forum of folks discussing instruments, music and music theory!

katans
2010-05-18, 06:13 AM
I agree that power chords are merely a simpler version of standard chords. So learn standard chords instead, going from the complicated to the easier is, well, easy.

A bit of theory, 'cause that never hurts:
First off, remember that one fret = one semitone, and the semitone progression goes:
A - A# - B - C - C# - D - D# - E - F - F# - G - G# - A etc.
Each X# can also be called (X+1)b (A# is the same thing as Bb etc.; there's a slight difference in theory, but not on a guitar) and there are no B# and E#; instead C and F.

A major chord in Western music is made of the combination of three notes: a root (the main note), a major third (4 semitones above the root), and a major fifth (7 semitones above the root). All other chords revolving around this main root are variations on the third and /or the fifth, and eventually the addition of a 4th and 5th note in the chord.
- For a minor chord, switch the major third with a minor third (3 semitones above the root).
- For an augmented chord, switch the major fifth with a minor sixth (8 semitones above root)
- For a diminished chord, switch the major fifth with a minor fifth (6 semitones above root)
- For a chord-7, add a major seventh (11 semitones above the root)
- For a chord-9, add a major ninth (an octave and a second - two semitones - above the root). You can drop the octave and just go a second above root, which gives a chord-2. This is why chord-9 and chord-2 sound nearly the same: they're composed of the same notes, the difference being one octave on the 5th note.
- Combine to your heart's content.

So if my root's a C, for example, a major C chord would be C-E-G, and then...:
- a Cm chord would be C-D#-G
- a C7 would be C-E-G-B
- a C9 would be C-E-G-B-D, the D being one octave higher. If you use a standard D, you get a C2
- A Cdim would be C-E-F#, a Cmaj C-E-G#
- combined stuff: Cm7 is C-D#-G-B, Cmaj9 C-E-G#-B-D etc.

And now, the secret to playing ANY chord you wish: use barred chord. Hurts like hell at the beginning 'cause you have to develop the muscles first, but hey, they're so easy it's almost no longer funny. The two basic chords around which everything revolves are F and B, as presented below. First chord's an F, the second a B. By sliding the whole stuff along a few frets, you get different chords: move the F down two frets to get a G, and so on (see the semitone progression under Theory).

E----1-----2
B----1-----4
G----2-----4
D----3-----4
A----3-----2
E----1-----2

Chord variations all work the same, just move them up and down a few frets.

F Fm F7 F4 Fm7
E----1-----1-----1-----1-----1
B----1-----1-----1-----1-----1
G----2-----1-----2-----3-----1
D----3-----3-----1-----3-----1
A----3-----3-----3-----3-----3
E----1-----1-----1-----1-----1

and

B Bm B7 B4 Bm7 B2
E----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2
B----4-----3-----4-----5-----3-----2
G----4-----4-----2-----4-----2-----4
D----4-----4-----4-----4-----4-----4
A----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2
E----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2

Koury
2010-05-18, 06:39 AM
Wow. So, I'm not gonna lie. It's 4:30 in the morning for me and yeah, this is the wrong time of day to try and comprehend that for me, Katans. I'm gonna go to sleep and tackle that in the morning, along with the last couple other posters.

Thanks so far to everyone. I'll be back when I'm more alive.

Autopsibiofeeder
2010-05-18, 08:59 AM
When you feel confident about playing Nirvana stuff (Gee, that's how I started 16 years ago...world doesn't change much ;) ) and feel like advancing a bit you may want to look into a few songs from the Black Album by Metallica (Metallica - Metallica). However, don't do that too early, because it may become a bit frustrating.

The good thing about this album for starting players is that a lot of the songs are actually fairly slow, but do require a lot of techniques (palm-muting, open chords, some (clean) toggling, single-tones riffage...there's even some solo-ish material that is not that hard). It's hard stuff that is actually (relatively) easy to play. Bonus is that you can sing along fairly well: if Hetfield can make it sound right, anyone can (anyone includes vacuum cleaners and broken fridges :smallwink: ).

The downside is that almost every song will have a point where you just have to give up, but that was never a problem for me. The upside is that it covers riffs anyone with an opposable thumb can play (like the opener of Nothing Else Matters) somewhat advanced stuff like Enter Sandman all the way up to pretty tough stuff like Holier Than Thou. The band is also very popular, so there's tabs all around the internet, I am sure.

I do, by the way, agree with the poster above that it is good to learn to play 'full' chords. When compared to Nirvana and Metallica power-chord riffage it offers a lot better basis to venture into other styles of music, better muscle training and flexibility and as a result a better basis for improving your technique and learning new techniques.

Koury
2010-05-18, 03:02 PM
@Autopsi: Heh, my excuse for learning Nirvana stuff (aside for it being awesome anyway) is that I live in Tacoma, all of 25 minutes south of Seattle. Meaning that Nirvana is pretty much every third song on the radio and has been since I was born. :smallbiggrin: Also, yay, song suggestions to play.

@Katans: Everything you wrote is incredibly interesting to me. I want to learn cool things like that (er, am I lame for thinking what I assume to be super basic music theory is 'cool things'? :smallcool:), and that makes me want to go learn more.

@Everyone: So, I'm pretty sold on getting taught to play. I mean, I'm not exactly doing anything else right now anyway (which is a whole seperate issue :smalleek:), plus I wanted lessions anyway, I was just curious if that was a good idea. Now I just need to look around and see about places and prices. Much appreciated!

pinwiz
2010-05-18, 03:06 PM
@Katans: Everything you wrote is incredibly interesting to me. I want to learn cool things like that (er, am I lame for thinking what I assume to be super basic music theory is 'cool things'? :smallcool:), and that makes me want to go learn more.

Music theory is cool, period. even the most basic things are fairly interesting, and i still enjoy reading books on it.

But anything i would tell you about playing guitar has been said. so just practice :smalltongue:

Koury
2010-05-18, 07:11 PM
Playing guitar and singing at the same time is much harder then it logically should be. Why is it my hands don't listen when my mouth moves? :smallannoyed:

Maybe I'll practice chewing gum and playing first. :smallsigh:

[/frusterated]

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-18, 07:15 PM
Playing guitar and singing at the same time is much harder then it logically should be. Why is it my hands don't listen when my mouth moves? :smallannoyed:

Maybe I'll practice chewing gum and playing first. :smallsigh:

[/frusterated]

You have to learn the song on guitar so well, that you can play it upside down with your eyes closed, so you don't have to think about the guitar, and then you can sing.

It's hard. But sooo much fun once you get there.

Singing in tune is a whole different story...

Koury
2010-05-18, 07:20 PM
Singing in tune is a whole different story...

Yes, I was much less concerned with that part. :smallbiggrin:

Capt Spanner
2010-05-18, 08:39 PM
Oasis - Wonderwall is a classic beginners song.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here is great, and you should learn it. (Ignore the solos and it's really simple).

I'd recommend learning some non-strumming pieces too.

Radiohead - Street Spirit is probably a little tricky in that respect, but if you can do it accurately, you've got good picking technique.