PDA

View Full Version : Audit my Character Concept

Squider
2010-05-14, 06:05 PM
I have got an idea, for an up coming game, but it's hideously complicated, and I'd like to know if its really viable before i begin. Keep in mind it will be played from 1 to 20 so it needs to playable all the way through. Also this is likely almost certainly a 32 point buy game.

I want to play a ultimate magus based off a Wizard/Assassin entry, and play a melee character. Is this going to be possible, or will i be crippled beyond performance?

I'm thinking a rogue1/wizard1/human paragon3/assassin1/ultimate magusX, currently.

I'll pick up practiced spell caster for the assassin at level 6 when i take assassin as so to focus the ultimate magus's power into the wizard.

I'd also like to pick up TWFing if possible, but I may have to resign that as too much to fit in one character.

What do you guys think? any suggested spell lists or feats? needs more Abjurant Champion? Needs more BaB? (cause I'm worried about that)

Eldariel
2010-05-14, 06:49 PM
It's...possible, yes, but far from optimal. A saving grace you can use: Divine Power. Get Arcane Disciple in a domain with Divine Power (for example War), and on Ultimate Magus 8, you can burn a level 6 slot to Persist it. I guess you have to get it on Assassin-side to accomplish that, but c'est la vie. It's not like you need the War-domain spells on your Wizard-list anyways.

The real issue is "Why bother with Assassin?" After all, Ultimate Magus is specifically a dual caster progression class and Assassin's casting is, if anything, completely incidental, which gives you diminishing returns; and the abilities Assassin-class is based on will be unavailable to you. Are you certain you would not rather play e.g. Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10?

SurlySeraph
2010-05-14, 07:35 PM
If you want TWF, you can pick up the Gloves of the Balanced Hand from the Magic Item Compendium for the basic feat. This doesn't strike me as a very good idea for a melee frontliner, but for stealth and support purposes could be decent.

Irreverent Fool
2010-05-14, 08:15 PM
What is your ultimate goal? Do you want to be a primary caster who can also fight or a martial character with a few spells. What sorts of abilities do you want? Is sneak attack important to you?

obnoxious
sig