View Full Version : [4e] Sword-and-board

Touchy
2010-05-14, 08:20 PM
Danmark Dragonfist, level 9
Human, Fighter
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Impiltur, Martial - Local Hero, Parentage - Orphan, Veteran of a Religious War (Impiltur Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 85 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Heal +12, Intimidate +8, Endurance +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +7, History +4, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +9, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2

FEATS
Human: Toughness
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Martial Freedom
Level 4: Wary Fighter
Level 6: Shield Push
Level 8: Battering Shield

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Tide of Iron
Fighter at-will 1: Threatening Rush
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
Fighter utility 2: Snagging Grip
Fighter encounter 3: Shield Slam
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Third Wind
Fighter encounter 7: Reckless Strike
Fighter daily 9: Stop Thrust

ITEMS
Lightning Longsword +2, Adventurer's Kit, Scale of the Serpent Drakescale Armor +2, Boots of Free Movement (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +1, Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Distance Throwing hammer +1, Shield of Defiance Heavy Shield (heroic tier)

I'm going to be short; I recently got martial powers 2 and I keep dying so I need a new character; the party is nearly always striker, and we often change character as well. So I think, "Well I want to be useful for once, why not play a role we don't have anyone playing."(I die... alot)

Last game

Reverent Rogue- Using a greatbow, not much to say, sneak attacking right and left.

Half-Vampire Changling assassin- Standard tactics, is usually the party face. Multi-classed bard.

Minotaur Warden- A female player who seems obsessed with disturbing things and sexual innuendos, creeps me out on occasion. But mostly does not contribute much to the party.

Goliath barbarian- Female player, does not know what she's doing. I can sense she wants to know, but we have to help her out alot. She's having fun so why protest.

and not included, but we have a 1e vet who plays an Ardent, a wizard who generally has alot of fun with his spells

As I'm looking around the power's and feat section, I somewhat noted being a sword and board fighter means you have many ways to push people(Quite literally) around, but overall your not that damaging, so this gives me a somewhat minor control aspect, but definately not as great as a polearm fighter.

Sir Homeslice
2010-05-14, 08:31 PM
Replace Action Surge with Mobile Challenge from Dragon 378, since it synergizes especially well with Shield Push.

Also, don't take Reckless Strike, it's really bad. Take Come and Get It, or Trip Up.

You'll also want to look into taking Bastard Sword proficiency and Skill Power sometime in the future.

Touchy
2010-05-14, 09:23 PM
Replace Action Surge with Mobile Challenge from Dragon 378, since it synergizes especially well with Shield Push.

Also, don't take Reckless Strike, it's really bad. Take Come and Get It, or Trip Up.

You'll also want to look into taking Bastard Sword proficiency and Skill Power sometime in the future.

Alright, what specific skill powers do you recommend, I haven't really give those a good read yet.

Also is Warhound of Bane any good, because Bane has always been one of my personal favorite gods. But I'm seeing a possible switch to using hammers/axes would be good for Kulkor Arms master, which could allow me to gain free attacks against my enemies for knocking them prone.

Touchy
2010-05-15, 06:58 PM
Bump, I'd like to see this not die after two posts...

Tehnar
2010-05-15, 09:16 PM
With your ability scores I would suggest you choose axes as your primary weapon. Your Con is good enough to qualify for most axe related feats. For hammers you will want a higher Con score, and for heavy blades you will need a much higher dexterity.

As far as powers go:

- shield bash should be your first choice to retrain once you start picking paragon tier encounter powers. Its solid in the heroic tier, but its precision starts falling behind in higher tiers. Also your weapon enhancement modifiers don't apply to it.

- this also applies to shield slam.Additionally fortitude is a defense that is usually just as high as AC on monsters, especially soldiers and brutes making it even less precise. I suggest swapping this one out right away

- Reckless strike is not a very good power. Come and Get It is a great power that you will fall in love with the moment you first use it. It is really one of the characteristic fighter powers and you should not leave home without it.

- Stop Thrust looks ok on paper but do note that it will eat your immediate action (so you can't use your challenge). The monster is still free to hit you, and your basic opportunity attacks provide enough stopping power. I suggest you choose something else.

As feats go I personally don't like action surge for fighters. Shield push will also get a little use if your DM follows your marks. Your DM will see your mark is strong enough and will generally avoid provoking it. For replacements I suggest Human Perseverance and Weapon Expertise. Training a Superior weapon is also well worth it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your damage. With Rain of Steel and the high precision fighters have it will come naturally.

Touchy
2010-05-16, 01:39 AM
Current Build:
Danmark Dragonfist, level 9
Human, Fighter
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
Background: Impiltur, Martial - Local Hero, Parentage - Orphan, Veteran of a Religious War (Impiltur Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 80 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Heal +12, Intimidate +8, Endurance +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +7, History +4, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +9, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2

FEATS
Human: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Mobile Challenge
Level 2: Martial Freedom
Level 4: Savage Axe
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Wary Fighter

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Tide of Iron
Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter at-will 1: Threatening Rush
Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
Fighter utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Fighter encounter 3: Shield Slam
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Third Wind
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Thicket of Blades

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Scale of the Serpent Drakescale Armor +2, Boots of Free Movement (heroic tier), Badge of the Berserker +1, Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Distance Throwing hammer +1, Shield of Defiance Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Lightning Battleaxe +2

I'm also noticing a lack of weapon specific feats, I'm not sure if that is discouraging or normal, seeing as there is a buttload of feats for shields. I'm also considering swapping shield slam, any recommendations.

Also previous questions still apply, is warhound of bane any good?