PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Aliens (3.5) PEACH

Jallorn
2010-05-14, 11:06 PM
Goa'uld
Goa'uld is an acquired template that can be applied to any creature with more than 2 Int, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

Glowing eyes, cliché behavior, evilness, that kind of thing. -Colonel Jack O'Neill on the subject of Goa'uld.

Except for the following, the base creature remains unchanged.

Usually Evil aligned.

+2 Str
+2 Dex
+6 Con
Special: The base creature's mental scores are subjugated by the Goa'uld's. Usual scores are:
Int:22
Wis:14
Cha:16

Special Attacks
New Host: The Goa'uld may make an unarmed touch attack against any creature within range of the Goa'uld's natural reach. If the attack succeeds, the base creature loses the Goa'uld template, and the target must succeed on a DC 20+Goa'uld's Int modifier Will save or acquire the Goa'uld template. The Goa'uld's personality is also transfered.

Special Qualities
Fast Healing 5: The Goa'uld heals 5 hit points each round. This stacks with any Fast Healing from the base creature.

Feats
Madness: The Goa'uld gains +6 to Cha, -6 to Wis, and uses the Cha modifier on Will saves. This is not reflected in the above mental stats.

LA:Undecided

I can't think of anything else I need to add, but let me know if you think of anything.

Jallorn
2010-05-14, 11:08 PM
Reserved for Tok'ra template.

Jallorn
2010-05-14, 11:09 PM
Wraith
"Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own. In our overconfidence, we were unprepared and outnumbered."-An Ancient, Melia, on the subject of Wraith

Special Attacks
Feed: The Wraith Drone may make an unarmed melee touch attack to initiate feeding. While feeding, deals 2d8 damage per round, healing an equivalent amount. The target is also considered that many years older as well, if aging is applicable, although they incur no mental aging bonuses. If the Wraith is at full health, he instead gains temporary hit points that last 24 hours, when damaged, these temporary hit points are always removed first. A wraith must feed at least once a month. Every month without feeding incurs a -1 penalty to Str, Con, and Fast Healing. These penalties cannot be removed until the wraith starts feeding again, at which point they begin to increase at the rate they decreased. If the wraith reaches Fast Healing 0, (or in other words, doesn't feed for 5 months) he dies. A target of the wraith Feed attack may make an opposed grapple during the second and subsequent rounds of feeding to escape. The wraith may also transfer hit points, from any source, as full hit points or temporary hit points, to an eligible target. Temporary hit points so transfered may become hit points, and visa versa. A target so endowed also loses a number of years from their age, if applicable, although they do not lose any mental bonuses they have gained.

Special Abilities
Fast Healing 5: The wraith heals 5 hit points each round.

Hibernate: The wraith may enter an enhanced state of sleep wherein their body's function slows infinitesimally, allowing them to survive incredible amounts of time without sustenance or even proper living conditions. As a full round action, the wraith may enter or exit hibernation. While hibernating, the wraith appears dead, even to spells like deathwatch. In addition, the wraith is treated as if one year is one minute. (this could use some wording help) The wraith is no longer affected by suffocation and similar effects, though extreme heat, physical damage, and similar affects are treated as normal. The wraith retains basic awareness of their surroundings, such as whether there is now breathable air, and is aware of the presence of other beings, although he cannot tell friend from foe, and cannot tell any exact details.

Telepathy: A wraith may communicate telepathically with any other creature also capable of telepathic communication. Creatures not capable of such communication cannot be communicated with in such a manner.

In addition to the above qualities, which are shared by all wraith, there are three classes of wraith, each of which have their own ability modifiers, additional abilities, and LA.

Drone:

+4 Str
+8 Con

Commander/Scientist:
+4 Str
+8 Con
+4 Int

Telepathic Whispers (Name ideas wanted): Undetermined effect, intended to be the Wraith's ability to make you see and hear things.

Queen:
+6 Str
+10 Con
+4 Int

Suggestion: A wraith queen may use suggestion as a supernatural ability at will as a swift action. (Not totally happy with this, but I don't really want to work out a new mechanic for something that's already there. Help would be appreciated.)

Telepathic Whispers (Name ideas wanted): Undetermined effect, intended to be the Wraith's ability to make you see and hear things.

Jallorn
2010-05-14, 11:10 PM
Reserved for Unas race.

Jack of Spades
2010-05-14, 11:55 PM
Goa'uld should really have some sort of negative effect on their hosts, otherwise they are less like the astral parasites they are in the show and more like a useful buff. Also, given the fact that good or neutral Goa'uld [appear to be/are] very rare-- one in every few hundred thousand or million if I remember correctly-- it might be able just to peg them as "always evil" or evil 95-99% of the time as dictated by a d%. Although that second one seems a bit overcomplicated.

Jallorn
2010-05-15, 12:06 AM
The host is subjugated, that's a pretty negative side effect.

I haven't included any LA because A. I don't know what it should be, I've always been bad at that, B. They aren't really meant to be PCs, they are mainly villains after all.

As for alignment, I regard that as pretty much fluff, and so therefore, I don't need to attribute any numerical values to it other than saying that Goa'uld are usually evil.

I haven't put up the Tok'ra template yet, but the only difference is going to be that the host is not subjugated. Not sure how that mechanic is going to work yet. Probably one of the two personalities will be DM controlled. Don't know which though, as one allows the DM to suddenly say "Your symbiote takes over," and the other allows the player to gain an unfair advantage.

FoeHammer
2010-05-15, 10:18 AM
I think that their CHA should be MUCH higher. The Goa'uld got to where they were in the beginning of the show by convincing the galaxy that they were gods. That's a pretty big bluff check. They're all pretty smooth talkers (IIRC Ba'al pulls the wool over the eyes of the SGC more than a few times), and CHA seems the best way to represent that.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-15, 11:26 AM
The reason that Gou'ld are megalomaniacs is because they are spawned with the complete knowledge that the parent managed to assume over years of forcibly subjugating and mind-raping hosts.

This would indicate that they would come with some serious bonuses to Knowledge [Technology] or whatever, along with at least one craft score. It probably wouldn't be entirely unfair to have Gou'ld be insane as per the Madness ability [-6 Wis, +6 Cha, use Cha on Will saves], given their unhinged self belief and unwillingness to accept anyone acting without their say so.

I'd probably make the Knowledge bonus +8 or something, given that actual study yielded far smarter individuals [Anubis, Nrrti and Romulus (I think he was the one with the growth accelerator...) in particular].

The Fast Healing seems higher than that demonstrated in the series, which was more like 2ish, but i can see roughly why you made it so high given the massacre that is the average optimised encounter.

Jallorn
2010-05-15, 11:47 AM
Rather than a bonus to Knowledge, I just gave them a high Int. I like that Madness feat though, I think I will add that. And you're right, I should probably drop Fast Healing a little, I'm thinking to 5.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-15, 12:06 PM
I suggested a bonus to Knowledge simply because it tended to apply only in specific areas, and given that you've made the score static, it doesn't really allow for particularly devious and complicated planners as Sokar or Anubis.

Twas merely an opinion though.

The Tokra are basically just gou'ld without the madness [and seemingly less of the knowledge, in general] but that might just be them not showing off as much...

Jallorn
2010-05-15, 12:11 PM
Actually, the given mental scores are just for a randomly encountered Goa'uld, while more specific ones would be different, just like any DnD monster.

Deca
2010-05-15, 08:44 PM
The Fast Healing seems higher than that demonstrated in the series, which was more like 2ish, but i can see roughly why you made it so high given the massacre that is the average optimised encounter.

Well it depends in which episode you see them in. As the series went on, the Goa'uld and Jaffa's physical enhancements seemed to get steadily weaker. Except for rebel Jaffa. Jaffa on the side of the humans stayed pretty awesome.

Jallorn
2010-05-16, 12:55 AM
I have added the Wraith.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-16, 03:36 AM
Given how it goes in the series, i'd say that their Con bonus isn't as high and their Fast Healing is actually dependant on how recently they fed.

Drones aren't smarter than humans, infact being rather stupid, so lowering all of the Int bonuses by 2-4 would be about right. The Wraith's tech advantage is mostly due to their empathy with their ship's systems which are based on their own DNA.

From the series, it is possible to shoot down [with great effort] a Wraith that has just fed, but the more they fed, the more potent they were so here is my suggestion for Feed:

Feed [Ex]: A wraith may attach his palm mouth to a target that they have Pinned in a grapple. They deal 2d8 damage to the target per round that they maintain this and add these twice this many points to their reserve pool. When the Wraith is damaged, it transfers points from its Reserve pool to its true hit points at a rate of 10 per round [Drone, 15 for Commander, 25 for Queen].

From there, i'd put their basic Fast Healing down to 3 and add this to drones:

Feeding High [Ex]: Drones are not good at containing themselves if they eat a lot; they want to eat more. If their Reserve pool ever exceeds their Con score, they enter a state equivilent to a Barbarian's rage until it once again drops below their base Con score through damage.

For the Queen's pheromones, perhaps she could make a Diplomacy check equal a Suggestion spell if she wins by 10 or more?

playswithfire
2010-05-16, 02:44 PM
What if the goa'uld weren't a template but a separate species? Probably a tiny vermin which can either be used with the Symbiotic template from Savage Species (or something similar) to join with any humanoid or which can use something like the Fusion psionic power. I guess there'd be three different kinds: larva/primta, standard and queen and a Jaffa applied template that makes one able to carry a primta.

Jallorn
2010-05-24, 08:33 PM
What if the goa'uld weren't a template but a separate species? Probably a tiny vermin which can either be used with the Symbiotic template from Savage Species (or something similar) to join with any humanoid or which can use something like the Fusion psionic power. I guess there'd be three different kinds: larva/primta, standard and queen and a Jaffa applied template that makes one able to carry a primta.

I considered that, but decided the mechanics work more smoothly as a template.

Temotei
2010-05-24, 09:33 PM
If Madness is a feat, expect your players to attempt to take it--especially sorcerers and bards.

I'd just make it a special quality.

For Valor
2010-05-24, 11:22 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the Goa'uld and the Wraiths and all that is the fact that you have to give things an LA, since you're making them superior. It'd be much nicer if you had "Human", and then had a couple templates for mental bonuses and maybe a few physical bonuses.

Stat-pumping just isn't cool. It makes things less playable (especially since it'd be great to have a level advancement of 1-20 for all alien races.

Also, the Asgard.

Jallorn
2010-05-24, 11:45 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the Goa'uld and the Wraiths and all that is the fact that you have to give things an LA, since you're making them superior. It'd be much nicer if you had "Human", and then had a couple templates for mental bonuses and maybe a few physical bonuses.

Stat-pumping just isn't cool. It makes things less playable (especially since it'd be great to have a level advancement of 1-20 for all alien races.

Also, the Asgard.

But they are superior...

For Valor
2010-05-25, 08:09 PM
But they are superior...

Meaning they can survive better (thought not w/o their worm thing) and some are a little stronger... so they get +2 Con or Str and then +2 Mental Stat, plus symbiote weakness. That makes them "superior" statistically, but they're still mechanically balanced (compared to the human's extra feat, +2 to 2 stats is fine).

EDIT: That's all in reference to the Goa'uld. I don't care much about the Wraiths.

drack
2010-07-22, 02:48 PM
Meaning they can survive better (thought not w/o their worm thing) and some are a little stronger... so they get +2 Con or Str and then +2 Mental Stat, plus symbiote weakness. That makes them "superior" statistically, but they're still mechanically balanced (compared to the human's extra feat, +2 to 2 stats is fine).

EDIT: That's all in reference to the Goa'uld. I don't care much about the Wraiths.

I agree and wish to point out that unbalanced strengthening only leads to higher level characters being able to take them out easier. (basically not superior)

Also I like the feed idea

Feed [Ex]: A wraith may attach his palm mouth to a target that they have Pinned in a grapple. They deal 2d8 damage to the target per round that they maintain this and add these twice this many points to their reserve pool. When the Wraith is damaged, it transfers points from its Reserve pool to its true hit points at a rate of 10 per round [Drone, 15 for Commander, 25 for Queen].

This feed puts a slightly larger gap between drones and Commander/Scientist but I would expect it a bit larger, for example if it had higher fast healing, could draw on it's stored pool of health easier (effectively giving more HP), and could drain life quicker with much more ease (thus increasing attack)
Also I would give a fort save to creatures agenst their life being drained (higher the farther up the line you go).

And finally I would make the Queens loose a bit on the others physical but gain much more mental (magical) prowess, see Mindshredder (MMIII P.102)