PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] Crafting a Credible Rival

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-15, 12:22 AM
Now that I've finally settled on my Scion character (A son of Freyr with the "Modern Paladin" calling), my ST and I are collaborating to try and create a rival for him. We're not sure whether the archetypal rival of the character should be from the same pantheon as the character, but we're using that sort of paradigm. In order for this character to truly feel like a rival to my character, we want him to be the antithesis of everything my own character stands for. As my character is a Lawful Good paladiny type, I figured my rival should be someone who is an absolute monster, someone who, if he isn't an actual servant of the Titans, might as well be anywat for his cruelty and destructiveness.

Most "evil" Aesir Scions tend to have Loki as a parent, but I felt that might be a bit too cliche, since Loki doesn't have any particular beef with Freyr like he does with other gods like Baldur, Thor or Sif. But then I noticed the entry about Kane Taoka in the books, as an example of a Scion corrupted by the Titans, Taoka serving the Titan Avatar Mikaboshi, who is the dominant avatar of the Titan of Darkness. Then it hit me. The dominant avatar of the Titan Muspellheim is Surtr the Fire Giant King, and who is Surtr destined to destroy at Ragnarok? Freyr!

So, the idea I'm proposing to my ST is that my character's rival is a Scion of Loki who somehow has been empowered by Surtr and is now his puppet amongst the rival band, possibly even their leader, considering how Kane Taoka was the leader of the rival Scion band in the books.

My main question is how I should stat him up for approval. My ST has given me the opportunity to make my character's rival myself, and he'll weave him into the plot with the rival band. The numbers are what's giving me trouble. Kane Taoka is actually more powerful in the books than a starting Scion should be, since he has a Legend of 5, technically making him a Demigod, especially since the highest Legend a Scion can get starting out is 4 if they spend 14 bonus points. The reason for the higher legend is because of his empowerment by Mikaboshi.

I figure that I should have something similar with my own rival, having him be empowered by Surtr in some way so he's a demigod himself. But how many points does that get him then? Should I build him first as a Hero of comparable stature, and then boost his Legend to 5 and add the Demigod stats? Should I add the points from the Demigod boost to the basic Character Creation stats and build it all at once? Part of the problem is that they don't show you how Kane Taoka was built, so I have no idea how big the legend boost his empowerment from Mikaboshi was or how his original stats were distributed before that and the Demigod boosts.

Anyone have any advice on how to go about statting him out?

Also, how SHOULD Surtr have gained influence over him? The reason for Kane Taoka's evil is because Mikaboshi turned him against his true parent, Amaterasu, and those two are obvious enemies. Loki's relationship with Surtr is a bit more complicated, since Loki is supposed to betray the Gods at Ragnarok and fight alongside Surtr as an ally. What should this mean for the rival? Should Loki know about his son's corruption by Surtr? Should he have supported his son's loyalties, or is he upset about his son turning to Surtr's side? I have an idea that this rival is a crazed arsonist who focuses more on physical violence than mental pursuits, making Loki at least a little dissapointed that this son of his is a guileless brute.

What should this guy's relationship with his father and with his master be like? What should be the father and master's relationship with each other at this point?

Riva
2010-05-15, 12:31 AM
Well, I really wish I had something insightful to say, but the old storys are too far away from me right now.

It might be interesting to have your rival be a little deeper, maybe your rival allied with Surtr as part of a long term gambit? Or maybe thats what Loki is choosing to believe about his son?

Good luck with the campaign, and good job on the post.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-17, 12:35 AM
Does anyone have any mechanical tips?

I'm thinking that I'll follow Riva's advice and give him a bit more depth than just an insane arsonist. Scions are supposed to have at least some similarities to their parent, so a Scion of Loki should be smart enough to play the long con instead of going for burning as much as he can. Since my character's a paladin sort of character, he should probably be a blackguard type. His relationship with his father will be a complicated matter. While Loki will eventually ally with Surtr come Ragnarok, he sees his Scion's actions as too blatant for his tastes. He's dissapointed with his son's lack of subtlety, especially since it reflects poorly on him (and Loki's reputation is bad enough already without one of his sons switching sides before Ragnarok is due) and because of this has somewhat deluded himself into believing his son's running some kind of scheme to betray Surtr and gain valuable intelligence for Asgard. He's only fooling himself though. His son cares nothing for his father, seeing him as a means to greater power through the Birthrights and Boons he can wheedle out of him. In the words of a great butler, "Some men just want to watch the World burn."

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-17, 09:42 PM
So...still no advice?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-18, 09:11 PM
Is everyone just tired of me talking about Scion then? I sincerely don't know where else to turn with these questions.

tribble
2010-05-18, 09:53 PM
Hang on a bit and stop with the triple posting. Lemme think.
Okay, so, you want Chaotic Evil loki-byblow with a thing for arson. Ok.
Here's an idea off the top of my head, I'll call him Gary and you Red for brevity.
Gary and Red grew up together, originally as friendly rivals. Red took the direct approach to problem solving, and Gary took a roundabout way. they were always trying to show each other up, in a vitriolic best buds fashion. When Gary had some kind of disillusioning experience, (maybe found out about Odin's plans for that one kid of his, you know the one) he turned to Surtr in despair, shocking, disgusting and infuriating Red. Red now hates Gary with a hateful hate of...Hate. I could go on about miles of circuitry and micro-engrams, but you get the idea. anyway, Red feels betrayed, and the Aesir react rather poorly to that sort of thing if I recall.

"Look": I'm thinking a flaming redhead punk biker type, mebbe? seem stupid, be smart, and all that.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-18, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry about the multiple posting. It's just that I'm worried the thread will get buried under all the other threads that get posted and I'll never get an answer to my question, and then I'll have to start a new thread because my original one will get too old.

No one reads threads on Page 2, do they?