PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips/Feats/PrC for TWF Crossbow Warrior

Rannil
2010-05-15, 02:39 AM
Disclaimer: This isn't really a Two Weapon Fighting Crossbow build anymore. My GM house ruled that a Double Crossbow (from Web Enhancement: RoD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)) counts as a double weapon. Essential making it 'Dual Wielding Crossbow on top of each other' to avoid the "loading requires two hands"-rule. (If not, I still had a lot of other ways to fix that while holding two crossbows)
That being said, I do know a lot about the TWF aspect (and I am doing it for the looks, not the power).

For my first ten levels I got my feats sorted but after that I got nothing. I was looking for prestige classes, but most I found were either made for rangers, bow-archers, elfs or rogues. I am a Human Fighter.

My other problem is that a lot Prc/Feats require Point Blank Shot and I wasn't really planning to stand so close in melee. Although it unlocks a lot of options in feats, most feats (with exception to Woodland Archer and Rapid Shot) don't really seem useful in the later levels.

Currently planning these feats:
1st-Two-Weapon Fighting/Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Double Crossbow)/Rapid Reload
2nd-Weapon Focus (Double Crossbow)
3th-Item Familiar (RPG)
4th-Crossbow Sniper
5th-Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
6th-Weapon Specialization (Double Crossbow)
8th-Ranged Weapon Mastery (Piercing)
9th-Greater Weapon Focus (Double Crossbow)
10th-none
12th-Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

So long story short: Rate my feat choice, advise me on PrC choice and in general all advise regarding this character is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

The Rabbler
2010-05-15, 02:51 AM
you shouldn't be avoiding feats simply because they aren't worthwhile. you need to be taking into account the kinds of things that the feats give you access to.

IMO, point blank shot is worth it because it gives you access to so much more.

also: weapon focus/specialization etc are widely considered sub-par feats. passive feats with so little a bonus really aren't worthwhile.

I'm not sure if TWF actually works with ranged weapons (though now that I think about it, there's no real reason why it wouldn't).

finally: what are you looking for from your build? being able to shoot people with two crossbows? being an archer? being a fighter? I ask because it seems like an interesting idea, but one that could end up being rather boring.

Escheton
2010-05-15, 03:51 AM
I like it, 2 double crossbows.

round 1: shoot 4 bolts
round 2: stash weapons and grab balista, shoot balista bolt
round 3: stash balista, grab flintlock rifle etc

Rannil
2010-05-15, 04:02 AM
you shouldn't be avoiding feats simply because they aren't worthwhile. you need to be taking into account the kinds of things that the feats give you access to.

IMO, point blank shot is worth it because it gives you access to so much more.

also: weapon focus/specialization etc are widely considered sub-par feats. passive feats with so little a bonus really aren't worthwhile.

I'm not sure if TWF actually works with ranged weapons (though now that I think about it, there's no real reason why it wouldn't).

finally: what are you looking for from your build? being able to shoot people with two crossbows? being an archer? being a fighter? I ask because it seems like an interesting idea, but one that could end up being rather boring.

The idea of my character was a sort of medieval bounty hunter with the western feeling of two crossbows (read: pistols).
I mainly was now looking for ways to neutralize the use of TWF Xbow/Double Xbow. So I could pack some damage in combat as well. But maybe I should focus less on that, especially if the weapon focus feats aren't that great and pick up some more bounty hunterish feat (Ranged pin?).
I am just afraid I am going to fall behind in dealing damage, and beyond that a fighter can't do a lot. So I am also looking for other things to add to a party.

Eldariel
2010-05-15, 05:07 AM
Ok, let's do some breaking down here:
- Crossbow Sniper is a must
- Ranged Weapon Mastery is a must
- Two-Weapon Fighting-line is a must
- Rapid Reload is a must
- EWP: Double Crossbow is a must

This gives us the following feat construction:
1. EWP, TWF, WF
2. Rapid Reload
3. Crossbow Sniper
4. WS
6. ITWF
9. RWM

You want 4 levels of Fighter, tops. After that, you'll be getting diminishing returns (only one feat each two levels and nothing worth qualifying yourself for anymore), and skills are a huge part of an archer's game anyways. Why aren't you taking Ranger-levels if you're a bounty hunter again? Surely Tracking/Urban Tracking fits right into your gameplan. More importantly, Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen are gonna make you much more efficient.

You're a Human so I'd consider starting off with a Ranger-level and taking Able Learner [Races of Destiny]. Second Ranger-level gives you free Rapid Shot so might as well and two more give you another bonus feat [Complete Champion "Champion of the Wild"; replaces spellcasting] and Distracting Attack for some extra value. Rapid Shot is actually very useful for you as you can fit it in without reload problems just fine so it's just another extra attack. Improved Rapid Shot would get rid of the penalties if you're worried about the To Hit, though it's probably more economical to just find other boosts instead.

Also, one combination you may want to consider is Educated [PGtF/PGtE] + Knowledge Devotion [Complete Champion] for vast bonuses on all creature types (just spend your skill points on maxing Knowledges on Local/Nature/Planes/Dungeoneering/Arcane/Religion - that's all Knowledges used on creatures). Also, Travel Devotion [Complete Champion] (perhaps off a one-level dip of Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)? That would also get you Knowledge Devotion for free) would be a great feat; it allows you to move as a swift action for 1 min per day (and extra uses by burning your Turn Undead uses), making it very hard for enemies to pin you down.

If you could get your DM to handwave the racial prerequisites, Wildrunner [Races of the Wild] would be an excellent prestige class for you. Primal Scream gives you +6 Dexterity, which is pretty nice with Crossbow Sniper. It also gives you Hide in Plain Sight, Fast Movement and other convenient abilities.

Without that, 3.5 doesn't really offer that much. You obviously want 1 level of Exotic Weapon Master for Close-Combat Shot, but beyond that...there's Justice of Weald and Woe in Champions of Ruin, but it's Sneak Attack-focused (though with Crossbow Sniper, you should at least play with the idea of using Sneak Attack; that would open up Craven [Champions of Ruin] for massive damage boost too).

There's an excellent 3.0 Prestige Class called Deepwood Sniper [Masters of the Wild], which could interest you. The other two good 3.0 PrCs are written for straight bows and thus aren't of much use here.

But short version:
- Only 4 Fighter-levels
- Ranger-levels are good bounty hunters, much better than Fighters
- Try to get unracist Wildrunner [RoTW]
- One level of Exotic Weapon Master [CWarrior]
- Deepwood Sniper [Masters of the Wild] is a fine PrC
- Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) [SRD] is a convenient means of gaining multiple Devotions
- If you're Good, Stalker of Kharesh [Book of Exalted Deeds] grants Favored Enemy: Evil.
- Justice of Weald and Woe would be a nice Sneak Attacking alternative; goes fine with Crossbow Sniper

- Knowledge Devotion [CChamp] + Educated [PGtF/PGtE] is a great extra damage source
- Travel Devotion [CChamp] is quite useful
- Consider Able Learner [Races of Destiny]
- Consider Sneak Attack (plus Craven [Champions of Ruin]) later

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-15, 05:11 AM
- Rapid Reload is a must

1. EWP, TWF, WF
2. Rapid Reload
3. Crossbow Sniper
4. WS
6. ITWF
9. RWM

You want 4 levels of Fighter, tops. After that, you'll be getting diminishing returns (only one feat each two levels and nothing worth qualifying yourself for anymore), and skills are a huge part of an archer's game anyways. Why aren't you taking Ranger-levels if you're a bounty hunter again? Surely Tracking/Urban Tracking fits right into your gameplan. More importantly, Hide/Move Silently/Spot/Listen are gonna make you much more efficient.

You're a Human so I'd consider starting off with a Ranger-level and taking Able Learner [Races of Destiny]. Second Ranger-level gives you free Rapid Shot so might as well and two more give you another bonus feat [Complete Champion "Champion of the Wild"; replaces spellcasting] and Distracting Attack for some extra value. Rapid Shot is actually very useful for you as you can fit it in without reload problems just fine so it's just another extra attack. Improved Rapid Shot would get rid of the penalties if you're worried about the To Hit, though it's probably more economical to just find other boosts instead.

Also, one combination you may want to consider is Educated [PGtF/PGtE] + Knowledge Devotion [Complete Champion] for vast bonuses on all creature types (just spend your skill points on maxing Knowledges on Local/Nature/Planes/Dungeoneering/Arcane/Religion - that's all Knowledges used on creatures). Also, Travel Devotion [Complete Champion] (perhaps off a one-level dip of Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)? That would also get you Knowledge Devotion for free) would be a great feat; it allows you to move as a swift action for 1 min per day (and extra uses by burning your Turn Undead uses), making it very hard for enemies to pin you down.

If you could get your DM to handwave the racial prerequisites, Wildrunner [Races of the Wild] would be an excellent prestige class for you. Primal Scream gives you +6 Dexterity, which is pretty nice with Crossbow Sniper. It also gives you Hide in Plain Sight, Fast Movement and other convenient abilities.

Without that, 3.5 doesn't really offer that much. You obviously want 1 level of Exotic Weapon Master for Close-Combat Shot, but beyond that...there's Justice of Weald and Woe in Champions of Ruin, but it's Sneak Attack-focused (though with Crossbow Sniper, you should at least play with the idea of using Sneak Attack; that would open up Craven [Champions of Ruin] for massive damage boost too).

There's an excellent 3.0 Prestige Class called Deepwood Sniper [Masters of the Wild], which could interest you. The other two good 3.0 PrCs are written for straight bows and thus aren't of much use here.

But short version:
- Only 4 Fighter-levels
- Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) [SRD] is a convenient means of gaining multiple Devotions
- If you're Good, Stalker of Kharesh [Book of Exalted Deeds] grants Favored Enemy: Evil.
- Justice of Weald and Woe would be a nice Sneak Attacking alternative; goes fine with Crossbow Sniper

- Knowledge Devotion [CChamp] + Educated [PGtF/PGtE] is a great extra damage source

Why do you suggest the archery ranger, when TWF is a feat that the build needs?

Eldariel
2010-05-15, 05:17 AM
Why do you suggest the archery ranger, when TWF is a feat that the build needs?

Archery Ranger gets better options off Champion of the Wild. TWF Ranger only gets TWDs, Weapon Finesses and all that crap, while Archery Ranger can at least take PBS/Precise. Though by tempoing them right, you could make 4 levels of TWF Ranger grant you ITWF, I suppose. Archery just felt easier here.

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-15, 06:18 AM
Archery Ranger gets better options off Champion of the Wild. TWF Ranger only gets TWDs, Weapon Finesses and all that crap, while Archery Ranger can at least take PBS/Precise. Though by tempoing them right, you could make 4 levels of TWF Ranger grant you ITWF, I suppose. Archery just felt easier here.

My main thought was minimizing the fighter levels, so as to maximize the levels in classes that actually grant benefits that the build wants.

Rannil
2010-05-15, 12:38 PM
- Rapid Reload is a must

1. EWP, TWF, WF
2. Rapid Reload
3. Crossbow Sniper
4. WS
6. ITWF
9. RWM

[Lot's of cool information]

But short version:
- Only 4 Fighter-levels

Thanks for the great insights and the information.

And to think I waved the ranger idea away because it was to much "nature" and "spellcasting" for the way I saw my bounty hunter. Which is a lot more urban and lawful. But I forgot the alternative class features and never knew about the "Champion of the Wild". I wonder if I can combine them by RAW, but I think my DM would let me do that anyways.
A non spellcasting urban Ranger sounds like a bounty hunter alright.

To bad a urban ranger only gets a medium animal companion, I don't know that much about rangers, but do hear a lot of people say ranger companions aren't that battle capable at higher levels (correct me if I am wrong) and that a mount is a better option. But a human needs a large horse to ride.

A 4warrior/4ranger/1exoticmaster/1cloisteredmonk/10PrC sounds like a great combo, although my DM isn't a fan of 'level dibs'. At the other side 4/4/10 is only a lvl 18 character. Although I don't think we will reach 20 (or even 18) soon I could leave them open. Or go for a two PrCs, one at 5 lvls, the other 7 lvls.

Next to that I don't see my character as a book smart fellow, although Knowledge Devotion + Educated sounds good. Same goes for sneak attacks and Wildrunner, for that matter, but doesn't mean I will 100% exclude the idea, they are still options at the maybe pile.

The Stalker of Karash really sounds great. Smell evil, favorite enemy evil. I heard of it before but I thought it was a paladin class for some reason. Also fits better if I go the good alignment route instead neutral (still not sure, both could fit a bounty hunter). And if I go neutral I most likely will pick up Deepwood Stalker.

Ending with Travel Devotion, which sounds a fun tactic to combine with Point Blank Shot. Getting close to the melee and when enemies start focus to me I can either hop around the battle ground doing full attacks and preventing them from full attacks, or just flee at incredible speed.

As you can see you have given me a lot to think about, thanks again.

After rereading my post I realized my questions were what vaguely asked, so I post them here in short:
-Can I stack Class Features Urban Ranger and Champion of the Wild by RAW?
-I heard ranger animal companions aren't battle heavy. A mount needs to be large. What can I do with a medium sized animal companion?
-Planning to go for 4warror/4ranger/10PrC, it leaves me with 2 levels left before 20. Having a GM that doesn't like level dips could someone advise on other options? Maybe a set PrCs of lvl 5 and 7.

Greenish
2010-05-15, 12:57 PM
Next to that I don't see my character as a book smart fellow, although Knowledge Devotion + Educated sounds good.You could fluff it as "street smarts": you know enough of different creatures to know how to hurt 'em.

Ending with Travel Devotion, which sounds a fun tactic to combine with Point Blank Shot. Getting close to the melee and when enemies start focus to me I can either hop around the battle ground doing full attacks and preventing them from full attacks, or just flee at incredible speed.Going to point blank range just for the +1 to hit and damage probably doesn't yield a good risk/reward ratio.

-I heard ranger animal companions aren't battle heavy. A mount needs to be large. What can I do with a medium sized animal companion?Medium or smaller. A flying creature can go to places you can't and act as a spy and a spotter (hawks, I seem to recall, have a nice bonus on spot checks). If you can detect your enemies from far away, you can use your range as an advantage much better.

Also, you give up normal tracking with Urban variant, but you can have, say, a riding dog to do it for you. They've got it as a bonus feat, they have Scent, and it fits the bounty hunter style to have a bloodhound.

Rannil
2010-05-15, 04:29 PM
You could fluff it as "street smarts": you know enough of different creatures to know how to hurt 'em.
Sounds like a idea, especially with the fact that the DM hinted at a parallel universe adventures bar. Street smart + bunch of adventures in one bar + gather information = knowledge win.

Going to point blank range just for the +1 to hit and damage probably doesn't yield a good risk/reward ratio.
True, but preventing enemies from using their full attacks would be worth the risk? It could almost be a form of tanking, that would end up strange.

Medium or smaller. A flying creature can go to places you can't and act as a spy and a spotter (hawks, I seem to recall, have a nice bonus on spot checks). If you can detect your enemies from far away, you can use your range as an advantage much better.

Also, you give up normal tracking with Urban variant, but you can have, say, a riding dog to do it for you. They've got it as a bonus feat, they have Scent, and it fits the bounty hunter style to have a bloodhound.

I was first thinking, Riding Dog sounds silly for a tracking animal. But after rereading stats in the MM it turns our they seem to be stronger then wolfs. =o
Also:
This category includes working breeds such as collies, huskies, and St. Bernards.
A riding dog can drag 1,500 pounds.
Name and looks can be fluffed, go Husky, or even a half-wolf.
And 1,500 drag weight? =s It could drag the whole party if it was needed. =o
If only it had wings...

Greenish
2010-05-15, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a idea, especially with the fact that the DM hinted at a parallel universe adventures bar. Street smart + bunch of adventures in one bar + gather information = knowledge win.Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Some fantasy series or other has something similar.

I was first thinking, Riding Dog sounds silly for a tracking animal. But after rereading stats in the MM it turns our they seem to be stronger then wolfs. =o"Riding dog" is just D&D term for any larger breed of dogs.

Also:
Name and looks can be fluffed, go Husky, or even a half-wolf.
And 1,500 drag weight? =s It could drag the whole party if it was needed. =o
If only it had wings...Animals can take any feats they qualify for. Animal Devotions gives you wiiiiings!

Rannil
2010-05-15, 04:56 PM
Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Some fantasy series or other has something similar.
Wouldn't surprise me. Our DM is also a hardcore fantasy reader. As long as we don't meet up and start the campaign there.

Animals can take any feats they qualify for. Animal Devotions gives you wiiiiings!
Seriously! (And again, Complete Champion, why did I not look in that book before >_<)

That would be great escape trick. The Dog suddenly growing a pair of wings, picking up the Bounty Hunter and fleeing awayyy. Owh I see so many uses of dog with wings. And then there is combat usability.

If only it had laser beams...? (Does this asking work twice? =p)

Greenish
2010-05-15, 04:58 PM
If only it had laser beams...? (Does this asking work twice? =p)That would be magic devotion.

Rannil
2010-05-15, 05:13 PM
That would be magic devotion.
I am so going to read Complete Champion from front to back now.

Flying Laser Shootings Awesomeness! What does one want more from an animal companion?

Rannil
2010-05-16, 04:44 AM
It took some puzzling, but I think this is the feat set to go for with the earlier mentioned tips. Going for the Urban Ranger/Warrior:

ECL Class (LvL) Feat
1st Ranger (1) Exotic Weapon Proficiency/Two-Weapon Fighting
2nd Ranger (2) Rapid Shot
3rd Fighter (1) Weapon Focus/Rapid Reload
4th Fighter (2) Crossbow Sniper
5th Fighter (3) No feats
6th Fighter (4) Weapon Specialization/Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
7th Ranger (3) No feats
8th Ranger (4) Open Feat Slot
9th ? Ranged Weapon Mastery
12th ? Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

And Open Slots at 15 en 18.

I do have some problems at this build.
To start of I do not qualify for most of the named prestige classes after those 8 levels.

Stalker of Kharash needs Alertness and Favored of the Companions, neither of those can be placed in the Ranger Bonus Feat. It’s a shame it won’t be accessible, I really like the idea of “smelling evil”.

Deepwood Sniper needs Point Blank Shot and Far Shot, at least both fit the Ranger Bonus Feat.
With 2 extra levels of Ranger I could also go the Deepwood Sniper (Improved Combat Style -> hoping my DM let’s me swap Manyshot for Point Blank or Far Shot).
The same result can be done with two levels warriors but that hurts on the skill points and most tips were aimed at getting as less fighter levels as possible.
This does solve my other problem, having two levels I can’t really fill in without level dibs.

Lastly the “unracist” Wildrunner option is open at level 8.

(I don’t have the book ‘Champions of Ruin’ so I don’t know about Justice of Weald and Woe)

The other problem I have is that there isn’t room for any of the optional feats mentioned earlier. Able Learner/Knowledge Devotion + Educated/Travel Devotion. I even lost my Item Familiar feat (maybe I can earn an intelligent weapon with excellent role-playing, so no big deal). Although I could take them at 15/18 or so, it feels far too late.

Both aren’t really that big of a deal, but if someone can help me puzzle around, maybe there is a way to need fewer feats. And if not, the flying laser shooting husky will compensate the lack of tactical feats.

Greenish
2010-05-16, 04:55 AM
No flaws? . . ... ..

Serpentine
2010-05-16, 05:13 AM
Hmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Some fantasy series or other has something similar.A Dragon magazine featured this. I can't remember what it was called, but I believe it had a door into (almost?) every plane.

DracoDei has made a repeating crossbow-using, Blink Dog riding prestige class, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8497974&postcount=4) (note: there's info there on making it non-Gnomish).

Rannil
2010-05-16, 05:19 AM
No flaws? . . ... ..
Well.. yes and no. The DM said she only would allow flaws if most players asked for it (on their own, so no motivating others), I can't trust on that but who knows.
Also the DM loves RPG flaws that are visible in a char, have background and actually hurt the character (unlike Wizards with even less strength) so it would most likely mean I end up with a eye-patch and a penalty on aiming.

Escheton
2010-05-16, 05:36 AM
Well.. yes and no. The DM said she only would allow flaws if most players asked for it (on their own, so no motivating others), I can't trust on that but who knows.
Also the DM loves RPG flaws that are visible in a char, have background and actually hurt the character (unlike Wizards with even less strength) so it would most likely mean I end up with a eye-patch and a penalty on aiming.

well, if they don't know about it they won't ask.
So informing everyone of its existance might be good, if that doesnt count as nudging them towards it

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-16, 06:17 AM

There are other flaws that would meaningfully impact your character.

Shaky (-2 to ranged attacks)
Murky eyed (concealment gives you more problems)
Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen)
Vulnerable (-1 to AC) -Think of it as paying too much attention to the things you're aiming at.

Rannil
2010-05-16, 07:22 AM
DracoDei has made a repeating crossbow-using, Blink Dog riding prestige class, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8497974&postcount=4) (note: there's info there on making it non-Gnomish).
It was nice to read though, but to be honest not the direction I want to take my character, it does fit other char ideas.

well, if they don't know about it they won't ask.
So informing everyone of its existance might be good, if that doesnt count as nudging them towards it
I think most of them know, could always ask around. I think my DM tries to discourage people from "thinking with flaws in mind" when designing characters, although she doesn't say no to the option.

There are other flaws that would meaningfully impact your character.

Shaky (-2 to ranged attacks)
Murky eyed (concealment gives you more problems)
Inattentive (-4 to spot and listen)
Vulnerable (-1 to AC) -Think of it as paying too much attention to the things you're aiming at.
Vulnerable is only -1 AC? That's barely "a flaw" at all.
There is a nice idea with a murky ideas/one eyed archer that focuses so much on distant targets he forgets to defend himself. Or just plainly always having the upper hand, due bounty hunters stalk, he isn't used to defending himself. You are giving me RP ideas.

Serpentine
2010-05-16, 07:32 AM
Didn't think so, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Greenish
2010-05-16, 07:34 AM
You are giving me RP ideas.Gods forbid. Flaws were only made for powergaming!

PhoenixRivers
2010-05-16, 07:39 AM
It was nice to read though, but to be honest not the direction I want to take my character, it does fit other char ideas.

I think most of them know, could always ask around. I think my DM tries to discourage people from "thinking with flaws in mind" when designing characters, although she doesn't say no to the option.

Vulnerable is only -1 AC? That's barely "a flaw" at all.
There is a nice idea with a murky ideas/one eyed archer that focuses so much on distant targets he forgets to defend himself. Or just plainly always having the upper hand, due bounty hunters stalk, he isn't used to defending himself. You are giving me RP ideas.

It's in the book, lol.

That said, -1hp per HD is much more painful.