PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge V

Heliomance
2010-05-15, 04:49 AM
Basically, a challenge to create an optimised, flavourful character, using a "special ingredient" of a particular PrC, different for each contest. You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

1. Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

2. Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

3. Cooking Time: Further to discussions in the previous thread, the secret ingredient will be announced from the get-go. Contestants will have until Thursday 27th May to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Heliomance. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

4. Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavour for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic point lost in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

5. Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when anonymising the entries!

6. Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

7. Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

This contest will go on a little longer than usual, as I have three exams in a row when I would normally close it. Use your extra three days well!

This week's special ingredient is...

Complete Warrior's War Chanter!

Allez optimiser!

Judges:
Private-Prinny
Arguskos
Grynning
Fisticuffs
Cieyrin
FlamingKobold

Contestants:
Amphetryon
Critical
TerickTerran
Tinydwarfman
FishAreWet
Akal Saris
ShneekyTheLost
Strategos
Chineselegolas
Embermage
Hand_of_Vecna
Ozymandias9
SaintRidley
Ingus
Wings of Peace
goken04
Keld Danar
Togo

Amphetryon
2010-05-15, 06:30 AM
I'm definitely down for this one as a contestant.

Khatoblepas
2010-05-15, 08:21 AM
Count me in as a contestant for this one - I have just the thing.

Curses. My idea required Leadership as a prerequisite. I have no other ideas. x3

Critical
2010-05-15, 09:05 AM
Joining as a contestant, happily, I have the idea of what to do.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-15, 09:59 AM
I'll join the judge's table again. War Chanter is a very interesting class.

TerrickTerran
2010-05-15, 11:23 AM
Well for this one, I know I can get a hold of the book even if my copy disappears (unlike when I misplaced by BOVD for the Cancer Mage one) so I'd like to give this one a shot.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-15, 11:27 AM
Ooh, I've actually been wanting to build a War Chanter recently. Count me in.

arguskos
2010-05-15, 12:01 PM
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOY JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Ok, if that wasn't clear enough, I'm back to do some more judgment. :smallamused:

FishAreWet
2010-05-15, 01:16 PM
Love this class. Will work something up. I wish we could use Dragon Magazine ARRRGHGGG!

Akal Saris
2010-05-15, 01:47 PM
We can use the Dragon Compendium if you have that. But yeah, no War Singer of Gruumsh, unfortunately :(

Anyhow, I'll throw my hat in for this one as a contestant. War Chanter's decently versatile and has some cool mechanical abilities :smallbiggrin:

Also, glad to see so many familiar faces rejoining for this one!

arguskos
2010-05-15, 02:01 PM
We can use the Dragon Compendium if you have that. But yeah, no War Singer of Gruumsh, unfortunately :(

Anyhow, I'll throw my hat in for this one as a contestant. War Chanter's decently versatile and has some cool mechanical abilities :smallbiggrin:

Also, glad to see so many familiar faces rejoining for this one!
Take it easy on them, Akal, you're just being all dominant in the competition here. :smalltongue:

Grynning
2010-05-15, 03:11 PM
Judge Grynning reporting for duty.
I AM THE LAW.

Keld Denar
2010-05-15, 03:14 PM
I'm interested as a contestant. I have a decent idea :)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-15, 04:18 PM
Oh. My...

I am IN as a contestant on this one. Just... OMGWTFBBQ YES!

EDIT: Well, that puts a damper on things... War Chanter doesn't stack with Bard levels for purposes of Bardic Music, such as Inspire Courage, just for uses per day. This... reduces the effectiveness of my original idea... but I've got another sneaky trick up my sleeve...

Greenish
2010-05-15, 04:20 PM
Joining as a spectator. :smallcool:

Awesome lineup here, can't wait to see the dishes.

Akal Saris
2010-05-15, 09:08 PM
Take it easy on them, Akal, you're just being all dominant in the competition here. :smalltongue:

Hey, my ego's big enough without you feeding it! :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-15, 09:19 PM
Hey, my ego's big enough without you feeding it! :smalltongue:
Just noticing a trend here (you keep winning). :smallcool:

Fisticuffs
2010-05-15, 09:31 PM
I'd be interested in judging.

Iferus
2010-05-16, 01:58 AM
I'm in again!

I have thought this over, and I cannot find a cool unorthodox entry. With only lame ingrediënts to work with, I guess I cannot cook something up.

Strategos
2010-05-16, 03:12 AM
I'll join as a contestant. Hopefully I'll remember the deadline this time :smalltongue:

Chineselegolas
2010-05-16, 05:15 AM
Put myself down as a contestant, but not sure if I will actually submit anything. Next few days I'll be recovering from a weekend LARP, and creativity is completely drained.
Hopefully shall regain some and figure out something to build, 'cause not seeing anything here to get funky with.

Embermage
2010-05-16, 06:55 AM
I will compete.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-16, 08:53 AM
I'm really torn hear. On one hand I already have a flavorful warchanter build done in my head, on the other I've been wanting to try my hand at judging to introduce some different veiwpoints to the process.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-16, 07:37 PM
I'm in for the penny, and also possibly the pound.

Akal Saris
2010-05-16, 08:16 PM
I'm really torn hear. On one hand I already have a flavorful warchanter build done in my head, on the other I've been wanting to try my hand at judging to introduce some different veiwpoints to the process.

I'd say go for the build. Having a flavorful idea is half the contest in my mind - it would be a shame to be inspired and not use that idea.

arguskos
2010-05-16, 09:03 PM
I'd say go for the build. Having a flavorful idea is half the contest in my mind - it would be a shame to be inspired and not use that idea.
What he said. I'd love to see more flavorful builds, because, (to stretch the cooking analogy), I love to eat. :smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2010-05-17, 01:13 AM
Not generally big on bards. We'll see whether anything strikes my fancy here. The first interesting thought doesn't seem to work quite so well.

Hmmm...

I think I've found a way to salvage it. This ought to prove interesting.

Amphetryon
2010-05-17, 06:04 AM
Please remind me on the official stance re: web enhancements of published books.

Heliomance
2010-05-17, 08:14 AM
Use it, link it

Akal Saris
2010-05-17, 10:39 AM
Heh...I think you might be using the same web enhancement I am, Amphetryon. If it involves a certain FR book... :P

Hey Strategos, thanks for making the trophy for Iron Chef IV! I love the silly dwarf hat :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2010-05-17, 11:08 AM
Heh...I think you might be using the same web enhancement I am, Amphetryon. If it involves a certain FR book... :P
That would be telling.

Ingus
2010-05-17, 11:23 AM
I'll try again, then, this time using wordpad :smalltongue:
Just checking the viability of my idea, so I'm still precarious. Crossing fingers

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-17, 12:49 PM
You know, no matter how many times I try to change up the build, it all boils down to the same thing, in the end... I hope I'm not the only one with this concept, because War Chanter spoke of one and only one thing to me...

Also, does anyone have rules for using an instrument as a weapon in combat? I thought I saw it somewhere, but cannot seem to find it anymore...

FishAreWet
2010-05-17, 12:55 PM
Also, does anyone have rules for using an instrument as a weapon in combat? I thought I saw it somewhere, but cannot seem to find it anymore...
Certain instruments can act as weapons. Or they can be improvised. Or you can take IUS and pretend like you're hitting with it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-17, 04:22 PM
You know, no matter how many times I try to change up the build, it all boils down to the same thing, in the end... I hope I'm not the only one with this concept, because War Chanter spoke of one and only one thing to me...

Song and Silence has bayonet a small blade attatched to a instrument.

Martial
1d4 Piercing
19-20 X2 critical
can be set against a charge.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-17, 04:29 PM
Song and Silence has bayonet a small blade attatched to a instrument.

Martial
1d4 Piercing
19-20 X2 critical
can be set against a charge.

I was thinking more along the lines of using the instrument itself as a weapon. Think the old ElKabong cartoons...

Could one take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised musical instrument)?

Heliomance
2010-05-17, 05:25 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/ClericofPhwarrr/bards.jpg

Akal Saris
2010-05-17, 08:27 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of using the instrument itself as a weapon. Think the old ElKabong cartoons...

Could one take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised musical instrument)?

EWP: Axe!

(Axe is rocker slang for a guitar)

arguskos
2010-05-17, 08:42 PM

Ba-dum-tish. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Also, where is Mark Hall when you need him? He's got this amazing post about how Bards are amazing.

Dexam
2010-05-17, 09:49 PM

:smalltongue:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/Dexam/Art/Posters/fighter_bard.jpg

Akal Saris
2010-05-17, 11:47 PM
:smalltongue:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/Dexam/Art/Posters/fighter_bard.jpg

One does not simply ROCK into Morder!

arguskos
2010-05-18, 12:07 AM
One does not simply ROCK into Morder!
You just killed me right there. It's Mordor, nor Morder. :smallannoyed:

Akal Saris
2010-05-18, 12:35 AM
I was drunk and typing in between games of league of legends :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-18, 12:37 AM
I was drunk and typing in between games of league of legends :smalltongue:
Given it's been under an hour, the past tense on that statement amuses me. :smallamused:

Amphetryon
2010-05-18, 06:17 AM
Second stupid question for me in the thread:

What point buy is being used? I seem to recall 28 being the original, but some of the Stonelord builds used 28, while others used 32.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-18, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 32 and has been since the first competition.

Oh I wanted to remind you that Warchanter requires perform(sing or oratory) since you were talking about using an instrument. Not that you can't have several performs I'd just rather not see an illegal build.

I've always been annoyed by the 3.5 seperation of performs, sure the 3.0 rule may have needed tweeking but 3-4 skills is a huge roleplaying tax to anyone playing a classic minstrel bard.

Tehnar
2010-05-18, 11:30 AM
Well there is a feat that lets you treat other perform skills as if they had ranks equal to the highest rank of your perform skills.

Draz74
2010-05-18, 12:19 PM
Well there is a feat that lets you treat other perform skills as if they had ranks equal to the highest rank of your perform skills.

Technically, it only works "for the purposes of making Perform checks," not for fulfilling prerequisites. Just a caution.

Wings of Peace
2010-05-18, 12:36 PM
Count me in this time around. For once school is not keeping me too busy to complete! :smallsmile:

Akal Saris
2010-05-18, 02:58 PM
Given it's been under an hour, the past tense on that statement amuses me. :smallamused:

Really, 'drunk and/or typing in between games of league of legend' applies to a startlingly higher number of my posts on this forum... :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-05-18, 04:07 PM
Really, 'drunk and/or typing in between games of league of legend' applies to a startlingly higher number of my posts on this forum... :smalltongue:
...and so much is explained. Truly, the revelatory nature of this post throws so many things into sharper relief. I have been enlightened, truly.

Also, get back to work on your next Gold medal. :smallwink::smalltongue: No, but seriously, the rest of you have a chance, I think. Maybe. I dunno. Good luck.

Akal Saris
2010-05-18, 04:44 PM
Sadly, Amphetryon has informed me that this time I'm only getting a silver medal :smallfrown:

arguskos
2010-05-18, 04:45 PM
Sadly, Amphetryon has informed me that this time I'm only getting a silver medal :smallfrown:
Them sound like fightin' words. Take 'im down in da ring! I've got twenty ridin' on it. :smallfurious::smallwink:

Amphetryon
2010-05-18, 04:54 PM

Your half-fey were-hippopotamus won't save you this time! :smalltongue:

Cieyrin
2010-05-18, 04:55 PM
I think I'll finally throw my hat in as a judge, considering the seats don't all seem to be full just yet. :smallbiggrin:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-18, 05:39 PM

Still constitutes a tax on roleplaying. Though it is better than spending ranks on getting three or so skills other than the necessary 1 maxed out one at respectable levels.

Amphetryon
2010-05-19, 11:01 AM
Shameless bump.

Amphetryon
2010-05-20, 10:07 AM
Happy cooking, all.

goken04
2010-05-20, 12:33 PM
I'll throw in as a contestant. This is my first Iron Chef.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-22, 05:17 PM
5 days left. I wonder if anyone's finished yet...

/shameless bumping.

Amphetryon
2010-05-22, 07:10 PM
5 days left. I wonder if anyone's finished yet...

I hope he's gotten at least a couple of submissions so far.

Heliomance
2010-05-22, 08:17 PM
Only one so far, actually.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-23, 08:06 PM
I'm in the process of completely rebuilding and revamping my build to something a bit more... unique. I just heard a song that gave me an awesome idea which was just too good to pass up...

Akal Saris
2010-05-23, 10:07 PM
Whew...build submitted :) Hopefully it's not just going to be the 3 of us though!

FlamingKobold
2010-05-23, 10:24 PM
I'd be interested in judging this one. I've been lurking on the last couple.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-23, 10:39 PM
Whew...build submitted :) Hopefully it's not just going to be the 3 of us though!

Speak for yourself. I would much rather be able to devote extra attention to a small pool of high-quality builds, myself. Of course, without a baseline to compare them to, they might not look quite so impressive, so you better wow me. :smalltongue:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-23, 11:47 PM
Well drat... there's a kind of a hitch in my new build... which really sucks, because it would have been really awesomely cool.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Greenish
2010-05-24, 12:19 AM
Speak for yourself. I would much rather be able to devote extra attention to a small pool of high-quality builds, myself. Of course, without a baseline to compare them to, they might not look quite so impressive, so you better wow me. :smalltongue:Nothing says you can't have both quality and quantity. Well, nothing except Sturgeon's Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle3tinj4tz?from=Main.SturgeonsLaw).

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-24, 12:46 AM
A word of warning to all would-be contestants: War Chanter music is not Bardic Music, and thus any feat or ability which affects bardic music does not affect War Chanter music...

This has wrecked all of my proto-builds so far...

Ozymandias9
2010-05-24, 01:29 AM
A word of warning to all would-be contestants: War Chanter music is not Bardic Music, and thus any feat or ability which affects bardic music does not affect War Chanter music...

With the explicit exception of uses per day. It's also worth noting that the entry requirement is the "Inspire Courage bardic music ability," not merely Inspire Courage.

I'm going to get started on my final draft tomorrow; with luck it will be in before the end of the day.

Akal Saris
2010-05-24, 09:20 AM
If you're going by a reading as strict as that, then my build won't qualify. But I think the "bardic music ability" works mostly as a tag to make it clear what the requirement is talking about, especially since when the book came out bards were the only class that could inspire courage. I doubt any reasonable DM would be anal enough to reject a build that legitimately gets Inspire Courage through another class ability.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-24, 09:58 AM
Ya that would be anal beyond reason especially since it references bardic music in the entry. I wonder how many entries will have that web enhancment or PrC Bard.

It's too bad that Warleader requires leadership it would have fit my build better than either of the above or straight bard. My build is progressing slowly I'm simultaneously having writers block on a big section of my back story (not that I don't have ideas just having trouble writing in paragraphs that aren't a series of simplestatments) and looking for that one cool thing that I know must exist but I can't find.

I had a similar problem with my cancermage entry it was going to be zhentrium/thug fighter 10/cancermage 10 and have been a master of using poisons and diseases to terrorize the populace and eventually was caught and given a taste of his own medicine. The idea was to find a disease that gave me a bonus to intimidate or radiated a fear aura. The best I could do was a gutworm to provide rage for intimidating rage so he got two intimidate checks one as a swift action and one as a free action both subject to imperious command and I believe to never outnumbered as well. It was pretty good and I got some additional stealth ability from cancer mage but without more disease/intimidate synergy it felt like a 11 level build with cancermage tacked on for the competition.

I guess if I fail at the second part this time I'll bend a rule and make a note rather than sacrifice a build.

Critical
2010-05-24, 10:20 AM
So... It necessarily needs to be bardic? :smallconfused:

Amphetryon
2010-05-24, 10:23 AM
Just glad to see so much interest is still invested in this PrC and challenge.

Heliomance
2010-05-24, 10:56 AM
Not sure about the interest, actually. I've had three submissions so far, and one of those is... lacking.

Amphetryon
2010-05-24, 10:58 AM
Not sure about the interest, actually. I've had three submissions so far, and one of those is... lacking.

That dramatically improves the odds that the other two will win trophies. :smallwink:

Akal Saris
2010-05-24, 12:43 PM
Heh...there was a homebrew iron chef challenge on BG where I was the only contestant who submitted a build in the end, so we're doing better than that at least.

Critical, I don't think it necessarily has to be a bard entry, though there aren't many other options. Prestige bard, the WE, war chanter of gruumsh, dread pirate, maybe some bardic-flavored PrCs grant it, maybe a vestige might grant inspire courage.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in warchanter though. I think it has some reasonably cool abilities :smallconfused: It could be timing though - nobody wants to sit at home and work on character sheets when it's the beginning of summer.

As a sidenote, does anyone else remember the old theoretical optimization warchanter was used for? You'd do inspire legion on an ally, granting X BAB, allowing that ally to qualify for a PrC for as long as you sang. Then the ally would get whatever he wanted out of that 1st level, like a free magic item from Ruathar or whatever. Then rinse and repeat :P

Prodan
2010-05-24, 01:27 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I do know that the Kensai can give others his BaB...

Akal Saris
2010-05-24, 05:41 PM
I'd forgotten about the kensai's ability, even though one of my PCs used to play one. The War Chanter gets a similar ability as a capstone.

SaintRidley
2010-05-24, 05:46 PM
Still seeing what I can do with my prospective entry. It's being annoying and I just got a job, so there goes more of my time.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-24, 11:03 PM
The problem is that Inspire Legion is not Bardic Music, it is War Chanter Music, which means feats and abilities which affect Bardic Music do not, in point of fact, affect it. Which majorly sucks, because I had a really unique concept all thought out, only to find out the key elements wouldn't sync up properly... :smallfurious:

the humanity
2010-05-24, 11:21 PM
only 3?

well, if I think of something I'll throw it together, fill some space...

all I really can think of is bard 10/war chanter 10
and thats not original.

Togo
2010-05-25, 01:50 PM
I'm working on a build. Almost there.

Togo
2010-05-25, 03:51 PM
When is the deadline? All I can find is a reference to 'three extra days'...

Akal Saris
2010-05-25, 04:02 PM
It's Thursday the 27th, kind of buried in Helio's opening post.

For my own question, who are the current judges?

arguskos
2010-05-25, 04:45 PM

Yo. :smallamused: Probably should have guessed I was judging (I seem to do so frequently). :smalltongue:

Private-Prinny
2010-05-25, 04:53 PM

For judges, we have arguskos, Fisticuffs, Grynning, Cieyrin, and myself.

Grynning
2010-05-25, 05:52 PM
Yes, I am in ur challenge, judgin ur builds.

seems weird that people are struggling way more with this one than the Stonelord. Is War Chanter just in that fuzzy grey zone between good and bad that makes it tough to make interesting?

Private-Prinny
2010-05-25, 05:54 PM
Yes, I am in ur challenge, judgin ur builds.

seems weird that people are struggling way more with this one than the Stonelord. Is War Chanter just in that fuzzy grey zone between good and bad that makes it tough to make interesting?

Actually, from the look of it, it's in that gray zone where everything that would make it interesting either won't work or is against the rules.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-25, 05:56 PM
Actually, from the look of it, it's in that gray zone where everything that would make it interesting either won't work or is against the rules.

That's what I'm running up against, anyways.

There's only one build left to try... probably not getting too many points on Originality, but hey... at least it doesn't break any rules, mechanically...

Private-Prinny
2010-05-25, 06:03 PM
That's what I'm running up against, anyways.

There's only one build left to try... probably not getting too many points on Originality, but hey... at least it doesn't break any rules, mechanically...

I just hope it's not Bard 10/War Chanter 10, because that would just be boring.

Chineselegolas
2010-05-25, 10:10 PM
Pretty much. Like many of the others, ideas stalled part way though. Combined with becoming sick a few days ago, means really not going anywhere.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-25, 10:13 PM
I just hope it's not Bard 10/War Chanter 10, because that would just be boring.

Not... quite...

Ozymandias9
2010-05-26, 01:45 AM
My entry is in. And, thankfully, its not Bard10/WC10 either.

It seems to me that its the combination of the bardic music entry requirement (which is fairly hard to replicate) with a 10 level PRC. You really only have 5, maybe 6 levels to play with another PRC or a template.

Amphetryon
2010-05-26, 10:54 AM
One day more...

Ingus
2010-05-26, 12:46 PM
Here I am too. Hope you like the meal :smallcool:

@Heliomance. Allow me a little hint: if you want to keep hidden the autors, shuffle casually the order of publication. Few contenders, declaration of orders and usual style are just enough to "guess who".

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-26, 09:02 PM
What time is the deadline? I expect to be done early thursday afternoon.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-26, 09:06 PM
What time is the deadline? I expect to be done early thursday afternoon.

You should be fine. If you're going to be finished just before the deadline anyway, Helio might be willing to push it back an hour or two.

Amphetryon
2010-05-27, 08:51 AM
Final countdown *cue hair-metal*. Get your builds in fast.

Heliomance
2010-05-27, 10:17 AM
It closes when I can be bothered to post all the builds :P

As I'm going to go play League of Legends now, you've got some time left.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-27, 10:59 AM
I went to bed just after my last post now I'm up and working on my build.

Togo
2010-05-27, 04:19 PM
I have my build.. where do I put it/send it?

/newby

Critical
2010-05-27, 04:21 PM
I think I'll bow out of this this time. I really need some rest. :smallfrown:

Greenish
2010-05-27, 04:22 PM
I have my build.. where do I put it/send it?

/newbyPM it to Heliomance.

Togo
2010-05-27, 04:24 PM
If you're going by a reading as strict as that, then my build won't qualify. But I think the "bardic music ability" works mostly as a tag to make it clear what the requirement is talking about, especially since when the book came out bards were the only class that could inspire courage. I doubt any reasonable DM would be anal enough to reject a build that legitimately gets Inspire Courage through another class ability.

It's probably a bit late to point this out, but when complete warrior came out, Purple Dragon Knight was also in it, and that has inspire courage, that directly references the bardic ability of the same name. While I agree that it would be both sensible and desirable to allow entry from classes other than bard, I think it's a position that's pretty hard to defend.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-27, 06:34 PM
Sister wedding over, flu gone, time to get back into these.

If it's not too late, feel free to put me in as a substitute judge for this one, Helio.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-27, 07:32 PM
We should probably see some builds before the night is over.

On a side note: Vorpal, I am in awe of your amazing avatar.

SaintRidley
2010-05-27, 08:33 PM
Again, mine won't be happening this time.

I'll post what my thought was turning into once the builds are up.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-27, 09:09 PM
I got my build in earlier then had to run out on some errands. Anyway I'll be interested to see what everyone else came up with limited forms of entry options.

Amphetryon
2010-05-27, 09:27 PM
Best of luck to everyone. I had fun with this one.

Akal Saris
2010-05-27, 10:26 PM
Hey Amp, I have an off-topic question about the Penny Dreadfuls classes. Do they each get 3 tracks or only 1? For example, as a barbarian can I multi-class away the Path of the Ancestors and take the rogue offensive track, for example?

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:23 AM
Heh, oops. Forgot about this. My bad. Entries are now closed!

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:24 AM
Marching to the beat of a different drum.

General Malaermus, CG Sun Elf Bard 2/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 3/War Chanter 10/Champion of Corellon Larethian 2.

Races of the Wild translates Malaermus as "War Song Companion."

Racially modified starting stats on 32 points: STR 12 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 18 WIS 8 CHA 14. INT gets all the level increases.

Starting languages Common, Elven, Draconic, Celestial.

Sources used: PHB, CWar, Bo9S, RotW, MIC, DMG

{table]LEVEL|CLASS|BAB|FORT|REF|WILL|SKILLS|FEAT|CLASS FEATURES|SPELLS
1|Bard|+0|+1|+4|+1|Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 2, Knowledge (Arch & Eng) 2, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (Geography) 2, Knowledge (History) 2, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Nature) 2, Knowledge (Nobility) 2, Knowledge (Psionics) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 2, Knowledge (The Planes) 2, Perform (Sing) 4, Tumble 2, UMD 4|Combat Expertise|Bardic Music, Bardic Knowledge, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1|Prestidigitation, Lullaby, Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound|
2|Swashbuckler|+1|+3|+4|+1|Diplomacy 5, Perform (Sing) 5, Ride 1, Tumble 3, UMD 5|Weapon Finesse|||
3|Swashbuckler|+2|+4|+5|+1|Diplomacy 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Perform (Sing) 6, Tumble 4, UMD 6|Dodge|Grace +1||
4|Bard|+3|+4|+6|+2|Diplomacy 7, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3, Knowledge (History) 3, Knowledge (Local) 3, Knowledge (Nature) 3, Knowledge (Nobility) 3, Knowledge (Religion) 3, Knowledge (The Planes) 3, Perform (Sing) 7, UMD 7|||Songbird, Inspirational Boost|
5|Swashbuckler|+4|+4|+7|+3|Diplomacy 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Perform (Sing) 8, Tumble 5, UMD 8||Insightful Strike|
6|Warblade|+5|+6|+8|+3|Concentration 5, Diplomacy 9, Knowledge (History) 4, Knowledge (Local) 4, Perform (Sing) 9, UMD 9|Weapon Focus (Longsword)|Battle Clarity (Reflex), Weapon Aptitude, Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of Blades, Leading the Attack, Bolstering Voice||
7|War Chanter|+6/+1|+8|+8|+3|Diplomacy 10, Knowledge (Arcana) 5, Knowledge (History) 5, Perform (Sing) 10, UMD 10||Inspire Toughness, War Chanter Music||
8|War Chanter|+7/+2|+9|+8|+3|Concentration 6, Diplomacy 11, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Knowledge (Local) 4, Perform (Sing) 11, UMD 11||||
9|War Chanter|+8/+3|+9|+9|+4|Concentration 7, Diplomacy 12, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Nobility) 4, Perform (Sing) 12, UMD 12|Mounted Combat|||
10|Champion of Corellon Larethian|+9/+4|+11|+9|+6|Concentration 8, Diplomacy 13, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 5, Knowledge (Nature) 5, Knowledge (Nobility) 5, Perform (Sing) 13|Ride-By Attack|Corellon's Blessing||
11|Champion of Corellon Larethian|+10/+5|+12|+9|+7|Concentration 9, Diplomacy 14, Knowledge (Arch & Eng) 3, Knowledge (Psionics) 3, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Perform (Sing) 14||Elegant Strike (Inspire Recklessness)||
12|Warblade|+11/+6/+1|+13|+10|+7|Concentration 10, Diplomacy 15, Knowledge (Geography) 3, Knowledge (Psionics) 4, Knowledge (The Planes) 4, Perform (Sing) 15|EWP (Elven Courtblade)|Uncanny Dodge, Iron Heart Surge||
13|War Chanter|+12/+7/+2|+14|+10|+7|Concentration 13, Diplomacy 16, Knowledge (Arch & Eng) 4, Knowledge (Religion) 5, Perform (Sing) 16||||
14|War Chanter|+13/+8/+3|+14|+10|+7|Concentration 14, Diplomacy 17, Knowledge (Geography) 4, Knowledge (Psionics) 5, Knowledge (The Planes) 5, Perform (Sing) 17||Combine Songs||
15|Warblade|+14/+9/+4|+14|+12|+8|Concentration 16, Diplomacy 18, Knowledge (Arch & Eng) 5, Perform (Sing) 18, UMD 13|Knowledge Devotion|Battle Ardor, White Raven Tactics||
16|War Chanter|+15/+10/+5|+15|+13|+9|Concentration 18, Diplomacy 19, Knowledge (Geography) 5, Perform (Sing) 19, UMD 15||||
17|War Chanter|+16/+11/+6/+1|+15|+13|+9|Concentration 20, Diplomacy 20, Perform (Sing) 20, Ride 2, UMD 17||Inspire Awe||
18|War Chanter|+17/+12/+7/+2|+16|+13|+9|Concentration 21, Diplomacy 21, Perform (Sing) 21, Ride 3, UMD 19|Song of the White Raven|Singing Shout||
19|War Chanter|+18/+13/+8/+3|+16|+14|+10|Concentration 22, Diplomacy 22, Perform (Sing) 22, Ride 4, UMD 21|||
20|War Chanter|+19/+14/+9/+4|+17|+14|+10|Concentration 23, Diplomacy 23, Perform (Sing) 23, Ride 5, UMD 23||Inspire Legion||[/table]

To the tune of "The Boxer", by Simon & Garfunkel:

I am just a poor elf
Though my home lies far from here
I have wandered seeking vengeance
For a long ago injustice done my family
Burned to the ground!
Lost my father lost my mother and
Sang songs to stay around

Hear my cry! Hear my lament hear my sigh
O hear my cry.

LEVELS 1 - 4: At these early levels, Malaermus stays out of the thick of battle, prefering to inspire allies rather than risk injury himself. A whip-dagger and longbow allow him to do some damage at a safe range, while a masterworked megaphone helps his Perform checks. He saves up his copper pieces for a mithral breastplate to begin Phase Two of his plan for vengeance.

When I was taken from my family
I was no more than a child
In the company of strangers
With the noises of the strange new king's court ringing loud
Singing low, seeking out the weapons trainer
When the prince had had a go
Looking for the knowledge only he would know

O hear my cry.

LEVELS 5 - 8: No longer intimidated in battle, Malaermus embraces a warblade's training and learns the traditional elven longsword - for now. Wall of Blades drastically improves survivability in combat for himself, while the War Chanter levels combine with Bolstering Voice and Leading the Attack to make all his comrades begin to appreciate him more. Focus on UMD lets him invest in wands to further augment his allies and himself.

Asking only shieldmate's duties
I join the prince's army
But I win no battles,
Just the glory for my comrades who could hear my songs
I do declare, there were times when I battled so well
That I caused our vict'ry there

O hear my cry.

LEVELS 9 - 12: With Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, and Iron Heart Surge, Malaermus is now a very valuable asset to his adopted home's army. At 10th level, he embraces the heritage he was removed from by the war, and takes up the Champion of Corellon Larethian path. Corellon's Blessing lets him quickly stabilize allies after battle, while Elegant Strike combines with Inspire Recklessness at 12th to give him three strong scores contributing to his damage thanks in part to the Warblade's Aptitude ability. A Collision Courtblade with a Greater Crystal of Life Drinking makes for some truly solid hits and eliminates the need for in-combat healing, considering a lack of Power Attack.

Then I'm laying out our battle plans
And urging our men on
Going strong
So the enemy's spears and arrows aren't bleeding me
Leading me, going strong

LEVELS 13 - 16: Add Knowledge Devotion, Combine Songs, and White Raven Tactics. Malaermus and his allies are true terrors on the battlefield now. Few can stand against a group of adventurers who are so well bolstered, by someone who is a legitimate threat in battle himself. Gone are the dreams of vengeance, as Malaermus has embraced his allies as his friends, as well as accepting his Elven heritage. The Keen enhancement for his Courtblade, Boots of Tremorsense, and a Belt of Battle are added to his adornments. Level 15 marks the 'sweet spot' of his build.

In the clearing stands a chanter
And a warblade by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry sword that hewed his foes
Or burned them til he cried out
Both exulting and in shame
"We have won here, we have won here"
But the warblade still remains

O hear my cry.

LEVELS 17 - 20: Adding Song of the White Raven to speed up Bardic Music and War Chanter's Music improves the overall speed with which Malaermus influences the battlefield. Singing Shout and Inspire Legion make the buffs that much more impressive.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:26 AM
So, yeah...

Race: human
Classes: Bard 4 / Crusader 1 / Warchanter 10 / Crusader 5
Maneuvers Readied: Flanking Maneuver, Rallying Strike, War Leader's Charge, White Raven Tactics and Swarming Assault
Feats: Able Learner, Combat Expertise, Weapon Focus, Song of the White Raven, Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage, Dragonfire Inspiration, Words of Creation

Inspire courage is +4 (or 4d6 sonic) as a swift action. The white raven keeps coming. So does the mass-healing with rallying strike.

Everything applies to all allies within range, so get lots of allies and go to battle!

Outside of battle, you should be able to keep all the social skills maxed out, and have a little utility spellcasting (tongues, for example).

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:28 AM
You won't find him on a tin of sweetcorn

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JEObjcnXxRk/S_noJAfEOSI/AAAAAAAAAKs/TQQX95qH_2Y/s800/Gawain%2Band%2Bthe%2BGreen%2BKnight%2Bwith%2Bcprig ht.jpgThe Green Knight, CG Human Paladin of Freedom 5/Warchanter 10/Beast Heart Adept 5

"Hwaet! Hear me! I tell a tale now of chivalry and adventure, of love and devotion. I tell of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight!"

Inspired by the medieval tale written in the 14th century (and translated by J.R.R. Tolkien!). This is my own retelling of it, of course!

It was Christmas Eve in Camelot, early in the days of Good King Arthur. All were merry, yet young King Arthur would not permit any to eat nor drink until all present had seen a genuine Christmas miracle! At last the last dish had been served and was steaming in front of the guests, but none had touched their food. Yet just as King Arthur seemed ready to abandon his foolish idea, a most peculiar guest arrived!

How strange he was, this new guest. He was a veritable giant, though his features were as fair as any knight. Yet in one respect he was unique - for he was green. Green, from head to toe. His tunic was army-green, while his eyes were pale malachite, and his skin was a dull asparagus, except his cheeks, flushed as limes. His cloak and boots too were forest green, though with white fur trim and golden spurs. His hair was green too, as was his massive beard, as big as a bush. His hair hung down to his elbows, wild and untrimmed, with saplings and leaves scattered within them. The horse he rode on (for yes, the villain rode his horse right into the great hall!) was of the same hue, a green steed in full bridle, and dear to its master.

Behind the knight was a veritable zoo of strange beasts. There was a baying hound, as green as the knight and the horse, and behind the hound was a massive beast that combined the worst of fowl and bear. There was a manticore, grinning cruelly, and next to the manticore was a hippogriff, part bird and part lion, while a wyvern swooped above the halls, perched upon the chandelier.

The Green Knight wore no armor, yet he held a holly twig in one hand, and a massive glaive in the other, a huge and prodigious weapon, the haft made from fresh-cut yew and the wickedly sharp axe-blade of green steel and burnished gold, altogether nearly as long and heavy as the steed he rode. He spoke then, and his voice was a bear's rumble.

"I say there are none but beardless boys here! Are there any brave and honest enough for some Christmas sport, to match me a blow for a blow with this glaive of mine? Any here who can lift the blade can take their best shot at my neck, and next Christmas I shall return the favor!" His voice was so deep and thundering, and so sure was he, that all in the room fell silent. All save one.

Scarcely had he spoken when Sir Gawain jumped to his feet. He took up the pole-axe, and waited as the green knight brushed aside his hair to expose his neck. With a swift blow, Gawain sliced through green skin and bone, until the axe-blade struck the floor below, and the giant's head rolled onto the ground. With a grunt, the man bent down and picked up his head from the floor, replacing it calmly.

"Well struck! And now you must be my guest one year hence, Sir Gawain!" So having spoken, the man left the hall.

(The second half of the tale is continued after the character sheet - I figured it was long enough as an introduction!)

The Green Knight, CG Human Paladin of Freedom 5/Warchanter 10/Beast Heart Adept 5

Alternative class features: Harmonious Knight 1 (WE), Paladin of Freedom (SRD), Cityscape skills (WE), spells-less paladin (CC)

Stats 32 PB
Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 14
Increase Cha at 4-20

Stats at 20th (With Belt of Magnificence and tomes from WBL):
Str: 26
Dex: 18
Con: 24
Int: 20
Wis: 14
Cha: 30

Feats:
1: Wild Companion
1: Weapon Focus (Glaive)
3: Plant Devotion (and turn green!)
4B: Healing Devotion
6: Combat Expertise
9: Combat Reflexes
12: Power Attack
15: Animal Affinity
18: Robilar's Gambit (return a fair blow to his opponent!)

Skills: 5/level or 7/level depending on class. Perform (Sing) (23R), Bluff (23R), Intimidate (23R), Handle Animal (23R), 4 ranks in Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering), and plenty to spare for ride, jump, etc.

Character snapshot: 20th level build (Paladin of Freedom 5/Warchanter 10/Beast Heart Adept 5)

The Green Knight is a tank and support build, as well as a party face. He is effective from 1st-20th, but with his class-granted minions, also makes an effective opponent as an NPC. A strong combatant in his own right, he has four class-granted companions (a mount, an animal companion, and two monstrous companions), each benefiting from his war chanter music.

Putting it together: The Harmonious Knight substitution levels grant bardic music (inspire courage), required to enter Warchanter. The Paladin of Freedom variant levels allow him to enter Warchanter without alignment violations from paladin, and also fit the character of the Green Knight better. Five levels of paladin include turn undead to power his two devotion feats, as well as charisma to saves and a paladin mount, and immunity to enchantment effects.

War-chanter grants some unbelievably powerful group buff songs and continues full BAB advancement. Basically there's no reason for the character to even attack until 2 rounds into the fight after he's granted 4 songs to himself and his allies.

Finally Beast Heart Adept rounds out the character with a pair of monstrous companions - a manticore and an owlbear. It also continues the full BAB and grants wild empathy for animals and magical beasts.

He has 4 class-granted companions, as well as any other PCs in the party. For added mobility and firepower, a hippogriff and a wyvern are both cheap and fit the medieval motiff. A warbeast (MMII) animal is dirt cheap (dire tigers are 1350g), but too cheesy for me.

Each companion gains BAB +20 and +2 att/dmg from Inspire Legion, and with Inspire Recklessness can drop their AC by 20 to gain +20 more to attacks (for +42 on top of any strength/feat bonuses). Some have power attack, allowing them to then drop their attack for a 1:1 attack to damage ratio. This sidesteps the normal problem that companions are too weak to hit opponents, and grants solid bonus damage.

Finally, the Green Knight's fighting style is to use Robilar's Gambit, giving foes +4 att/dmg but granting him a free attack each time they hit him. This fits the story and adds some nice additional damage per round.

Combat:
R1:
Swift: Healing Devotion. The Green Knight now has Fast Healing 5 for 1 minute
Immediate: Plant Devotion. The Green Knight gains 2 natural armor and is now immune to critical hits and sneak attack for 1 minute
Move: move up to opponent!
Standard: Sing! Combine songs with Inspire Recklessness and Inspire Legion. The Knight and his companions all have BAB +20, +2 att/dmg, and can sack their AC for attack bonuses.

Companions: All charge or move and attack. Any flanking with the Green Knight gain +2 attack/damage on top of +2 for flanking.

Attacks of opportunity: the Green Knight gets 5/round. Whenever an opponent strikes him, he gets an AOO (Robilar's Gambit).

R2:
Move: Demoralize attempt. Intimidate all opponents within 10ft! (Fearsome armor and Never Outnumbered). DC ~50 save or shaken for 1 round.
Standard: Sing! Combine songs with Inspire Toughness (20 bonus HP to all allies and himself) and Inspire Awe (DC 32 Will or frightened). Any opponents who were previously shaken are now panicked for as long as they can hear the Green Knight yell at them!
Swift: Belt of Battle, 3 charges for another full round action.
Free: activate Boots of Speed (Haste)
Full round: full attack, trading 20 AC for +20 to attack and then sacrificing some of that with power attack for more damage.

Companions: All full attack or move and attack.

R3 and onwards: start using swift actions for sudden stunning (DC 30 Reflex or stunned for 1d4+1 rounds when hit by glaive), and continue singing. 13 Stunning attempts/day.

Some stats:
BAB: +20
HP: 268 (5d10, 15d8 - assumes 3/4 on roll)
AC: 36 (10 base +4 dex + 7 (shield) +13 armor +2 NA)
Base saves: Fort +15, Will +8, Reflex +5
Standard saves: Fort +37, Will +25, Reflex +24
Full attack (with haste): +34/+34/+29/+24/+19, 2d6+17, 19-20 x3
Full attack with haste, full power attack and inspire recklessness/legion: +36/+36/+31/+26/+21, 2d6+49, 19-20 x3. Total damage: 275 per round average
Smite evil: +10 to attack, +5 dmg, 2/day
Bardic music: 15/day
Turn undead: 17/day

Companions: the riding dog and horse both have power attack from their bonus HD-granted feats.
Riding Dog cohort with inspire recklessness/legion: Bite +25, 1d6+23 and trip (trip +23).
Warhorse with inspire recklessness/legion: Bite +25 and Hoofs +20/+20, 1d8+24 and 1d4+22/1d4+22.
Owlbear with inspire recklessness/legion: 2 claws +24 1d6+5, Bite +20 1d8+2
Manticore with inspire recklessness/legion: 6 ranged spikes, +22 1d8+2

Equipment:
Green Belt of Magnificence +6 combined with Belt of Battle, +5 Tome of Charisma, +4 Tome of Str, +4 Tome of Constitution, +5 Floating Large Shield, Tooth of Leraje, +1 sudden stunning keen Large Glaive, +5 called fearsome restful death ward mithril full plate, nightstick, ring of freedom of movement, strongarm bracers, angel wings graft, crystal mask of dread, +5 vest of resistance, boots of speed, wyvern, hippogriff, and maybe a permanent enlarge person with what's left over

The story, continued:

Months later, Sir Gawain braved bandits and winter to travel to the Green Knight's keep. He was welcomed warmly and entertained well. The Knight sang out in merry song while his wife played the harp. His wife was beautiful, and Gawain was smitten with her. He felt nearly sick with desire, and could barely speak throughout the night. At length the Green Knight spoke.

"You have traveled far, and I can see you are unwell from your travels. It would be unfair for me to return my axe-strike until you have recovered. Tomorrow I shall hunt, and you shall stay here until you are well. I propose a game: whatsoever I win in the forest I will share with you, and whatever fortune you achieve in the meantime, you shall share with me. Have we a deal?" Gawain agreed readily.

The next day Gawain spent listening to the lady harp. The lady was smitten with the handsome young knight, and the two soon were embracing. Just then, however, the Green Knight returned, bearing a deer over his shoulders! When the Green Knight returned, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have you received any gifts today?"

Gawain thought for a moment and then hugged the Green Knight. "That is all, my friend!" he said brightly, and the Green Knight laughed heartily.

The next day was much the same - Gawain pleaded illness, and the Green Knight hunted. Again Gawain and the lady embraced, and this time shared a single, lingering kiss before the Green Knight return. When the Green Knight returned with a boar, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have you received any gifts today?"

Gawain thought for a moment and then kissed the Green Knight on one cheek. "That is all, my friend!" he said brightly, and the Green Knight laughed heartily.

The next day, Gawain stayed with the lady once more. This time, however, she tore off her belt and offered it to him. "My husband means to kill you tomorrow!" she said. "Wear my garter and you will be protected!" Gawain accepted the magnificent garter, hiding it under his tunic. When the Green Knight returned with a bear, he asked with a twinkle in his eyes, "Have you received any gifts today?"

Gawain thought for a moment, ashamed at his cowardice. Afraid to show the garter, he leaned forward and and then kissed the Green Knight on both cheeks. "That is all, my friend!" he said brightly, and the Green Knight laughed heartily.

The next day, the Green Knight took Gawain to a clearing, and had him rest his head on a stone. He took up his massive pole-axe, and stood over Gawain. "Have you anything to declare?" he asked, and just before the axe landed, Gawain flinched. "Yes!" he said, showing the garter and telling his story, shivering from guilt and fear.

Glaring, the Green Knight took away the garter. "Now face your fate like a man! he commanded, and Gawain laid his head down once more. Again the axe-blade came down, but Gawain did not flinch at his death. To his surprise, he felt merely a gentle tap against his neck. Looking up, he saw the Green Knight grinning down at him.

"Get up, noble sir! I could never kill a man willing to meet his death like that! I take back my words at your court, and I hope you enjoyed my little Christmas sport," he said. "And my wife's company!" he added, winking at Gawain, who flushed beet-red. "For your indiscretions, however, I'm afraid you'll need to do penance until next Christmas if you wish to remain friends - wearing that garter in full sight should do the trick!"

And so Gawain and the Green Knight parted in friendship, with both visiting the other regularly. Upon hearing the tale, King Arthur was greatly entertained, and decreed that henceforth every knight of the table should wear a baldric of solid green in solidarity with Gawain: and so came about the Order of the Garter!

The End!

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:32 AM
The devil opened up his case and he said: "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow.
And he pulled the bow across his strings and it made an evil hiss.
Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this.

Jason the Hellspeaker
CE Human
Conjurer 5, Demonologist 3, Mythic Exemplar 2, War Chanter 10

Nutrition Information
Class and Feat Selection by Level
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Feats|Class Features|W0|W1|W2|W3|D1|D2|D3|D4
1|
Conjurer 1|
0|
0|
0|
2|Scribe Scroll, Evil Brand, Malign Spell Focus| Conjuration Specialist, Evocation and Illusion barred, Rapid Summoning Variant|3+1|1+1| - | - | - | - | - | -

2|
Conjurer 2|
1|
1|
0|
3|-|- |4+1|2+1| - | - | - | - | - | -

3|
Conjurer 3|
1|
1|
1|
3| Sacrificial Mastery |-|4+1|2+1|1+1 | - | - | - | - | -

4|
Conjurer 4|
2|
1|
1|
4| - | - |4+1|3+1|2+1| - | - | - | - | -

5|
Conjurer 5|
2|
1|
1|
4| Craft Wand | -|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| - | - | - | -

6|
Demonologist 1 |
2|
1|
1|
6| Combat Expertise | Charm Demon|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 1 | - | - | -

7|
Demonologist 2|
3|
1|
1|
7| - | Quasit Familiar|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 1 | 1 | - | -

8|
Demonologist 3|
3|
2|
2|
7| - | Summoning Mastery +2|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 1 | 1 | -

9|
Mythic Exemplar 1|
3|
2|
2|
8| - | Paragon's Path (Reikhardt) |4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 1 | 1 | -

10|
Mythic Exemplar 2|
4|
2|
2|
8| Weapon Focus (whatever your little heart desires) | Least Paragon's Gift (Inspire Courage as Bard 2), +1 level Demonologist casting|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

11|
War Chanter 1|
5|
4|
2|
8| - | Inspire Toughness, War Chanter Music|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

12|
War Chanter 2|
6/1|
5|
2|
8| Practiced Spellcaster (Demonologist) | -|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

13|
War Chanter 3|
7/2|
5|
3|
9| - | Inspire Recklessness|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

14|
War Chanter 4|
8/3|
6|
3|
9| - | -|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

15|
War Chanter 5|
9/4|
6|
3|
9| Fiendish Heritage | Combine Songs|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

16|
War Chanter 6|
10/5|
7|
4|
10| - | -|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

17|
War Chanter 7|
11/6/1|
7|
4|
10| - | Inspire Awe|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

18|
War Chanter 8|
12/7/2|
8|
4|
10| Fiendish Legacy | Singing Shout|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

19|
War Chanter 9|
13/8/3|
8|
5|
11| - | -|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1

20|
War Chanter 10|
14/9/4|
9|
5|
11| - | Inspire Legion|4+1|3+1|2+1|1+1| 2 | 2 | 1 | 1
[/table]

Base Ability Scores
{table=head]Ability| Base Score
Str| 8
Dex| 8
Con| 10
Int| 14
Wis |15
Cha |18[/table]

Skills
The primary concern here is going to be investing to meet entry requirements (and later to keep preform current for songs). Though perform in particular will be cross class, all the entry requirement can be met in time. Discressionary spending, however, will be somewhat tight until level 10 or so.

UMD should be kept to reasonable levels to allow the familiar to use 4th level wands. Intimidate and Diplomacy should receive some investment, both for dealing with called demons and simply because its a high Charisma character. And Perform(Oratory) should be taken over Perform(Singing) because its just flat less silly.

Feat, and Ability Details (SRD elements and Special Ingredient class features excluded for brevity)
Malign Spell Focus: +2 DC for saving throws against evil spells
Evil Brand: +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate with evil creatures
Sacrificial Mastery: +4 profane bonus on sacrifices (cf BOVD ch.2), needs to be taken for Demonologist entry even if variant is not in effect
Charm Demon: Charm a CE outsider 1/day as charm person, no SR.
Quasit Familiar: The demonologist gains a Quasit Familiar (whether he wants one or not)
Summoning Mastery: Summon Monster spells use the list of the spell 2 ranks higher
Paragon's Path: cf. Mythic Exemplar, CC pg. 86
Least Paragon's Gift (Reikhardt): Inspire Courage as a bard of your Mythic Exemplar levels.
Fiendish Heritage: +4 Save vs. poison, +1 save vs. spells and effects produced by Good Creatures
Fiendish Legacy: Teleport, SM5, Unholy Blight 1/day, caster level=character level

Important Magical Items
Jason will require some access to fungible souls for some of his Demonologist spells, most importantly Call Nightmare and Call Dretch Horde. The most straight forward options are a Dark Altar Stone or Scrolls of Soul Shackles. (The build does not presume any use of the "Souls as Power" xp conversion rules, but does have access to spells where souls are a listed component are a listed spell component).

Jason should acquire some reliable method of controlling monsters called through Planar Binding and Lesser Planar Binding for open ended tasks. A staff of charming or scrolls of Charm monster are the most direct options. At higher levels, a Ring of Alignment Command (either evil or chaotic) is a good option, as are Fanatic's Collars (used in conjunction with the Charm Demon ability from Demonologist to convince the demon to use it).

Pump charisma: +5 inherent, +6 enhancement, +5 from leveling. This will pump up Jason's Demonologist casting and help with charisma checks for matters like ordering charmed demons and executing planar bindings.

His melee weapon of choice should be a Club of Commanding (A&E).

Since this is a clearly evil character, any given campaign might necessitate some magic item to conceal alignment.

Wands of Summon monster should also be created or bought: they will extend the life of the spell slots and allow the Quasit Familiar to summon reinforcements while Jason continues singing.

Meal Description
Jason was born in the kingdom of Milithras in 822 V.E.. His mother died in childbirth. His father, Adrian, was a mid-ranking military officer of some import, but little note. Though Adrian was not particularly wealthy, he did have sufficient funds to see that Jason was well cared for by servants while he was away serving in the army (which is to say, the vast majority of Jason's childhood). The servants, however, were not substitutes for parents. That Jason found in the form of Stanton West, a neighbor and a retired wizard who had once served in the military with his father.

As Jason grew, he took a keen interest in Stanton's practice of magic, and in particular his chosen specialty of conjuration. While Stanton was, by his own admission, too old for an apprentice, he was able to point him in the direction of a colleague who taught Jason the elements of magic. After several years of study, Jason learned enough to apply for a position in the mages corps of the Milithras army. Despite being somewhat physically frail, he was accepted (though there was some indication that this required a heavy dose of influence on Adrian's part). Despite this, he proved himself competent.

Jason's tour in the Mage's Corps was largely without note. He was relegated mostly to peacekeeping efforts and distinguished himself only for his capacity at diplomacy and delivering speeches. Seeking a more adventurous life, he chose not to reenlist and instead to pursue a carrier as a sellspell. Milithras had expanded well beyond the capacity of the army to keep peace in the far reaches of the empire, and he found more than enough employment in the outer provinces to meet his needs. He finds, also, that the lawlessness of those lands makes it far easier to conceal the more... unpleasent aspects of his research (such as the occasional need for human sacrifice).

During this period, Stanton died of old age. His niece liquidated his property quickly; the spellbooks had been sold by the time that Jason received word of Stanton's passing. He did manage, however, to procure much in the way of research texts and historical volumes. Along these were a historical account of a 6th century mage named Acciran the Hellcaller and some passing notes that Stanton had made about how Acciran might have executed some of the more unusual conjuration effects that the historical accounts record regarding his dealings with demons. Intrigued, Jason set about studying the historical records and fleshing out Stanton's work in recreating these effects.

Jason begins his carrier as a Conjurer and enters Demonologist.

As Jason continued his investigation of Acciran's exploits he eventually found himself applying for entry in an obscure historical society called the Disciples of Legend. The group, which was devoted to uncovering the exploits of six legendary heroes from the millennium prior, had records of how one of the heroes, Sir Reikhardt, led the campaign that defeated Acciran. The campaign was of little note compared with Reikhardt's later accomplishments, and few of the members of the society had devoted significant attention to it. Despite his initial interest in the event being driven from interest in Acciran, it was Reikhardt's handling of the campaign that made the biggest impact on Jason. Acciran had entered the conflict with forces that were more numerous and mightier in both the physical and supernatural sense. But while Acciran's inability to secure the loyalty of his own forces contributed somewhat to his own fall, the greater determinant of the conflict was how Reikhardt used his more limited supernatural and mundane abilities to bolster the strengths of his forces.

Jason recognized, in this, that if Acciran the Hellcaller had had a similar command of such elements, his reign might have lasted significantly longer. While he follows through with the current research projects, his primary attention turns at this point away from bringing forth fiendish allies to fight for him and to ensuring that those he brings forth are successful.

Jason is taking two levels in Mythic Exemplar, following the path of Reikhardt. The second level gives him a BAB of +4 Least Paragon's Gift, which in the case of Reikhardt is Inspire Courage as a bard of his ME levels. At level 9, his cross-class Perform: Oratory finally reaches 6. This satisfies the entry requirements for War Chanter, just in time to have exactly 10 levels left to take.

Honing these skills Jason travels back out to the outer provinces and sets about leveraging his fiendish minions to create a realm of his own.

I present the villain: cue the PCs, stage left.

Serving Suggestions

The basic question of optimizing a buffing character leads to one of two options: work on a buffing a specific group of allies for specific strengths, or work to make sure there are reasonably effective allies to buff. This build focuses on the later.

The most basic, least effectual minion he will have will be Dretches. They're cannon fodder, but they're fairly permanent cannon fodder-- Call Dretch Horde is a calling (rather than summoning) spell and lasts for a year. Because the dretches are actually present, they can use their own ability to summon another dretch once a day. At very least, they should buy enough time for Jason to summon more effectual allies. At best, they provide a large number of potential allies for Inspire Legion.

Summoned Monsters will generally present more powerful options, but will require time to summon. Moreover, since his caster level is limited, they are fairly temporary. Summons should, if possible, be summoned from Demonologist slots (and thus at CL 8 rather than CL5). Though Jason himself won't be able to summon more allies later in combat, his called minions will almost all have the ability to do so. Moreover, with moderate investment in UMD, his Familiar will be able to use wands of summon monster.

Options exist for riskier, but more powerful called minions. The Demonologist spell list includes magic circles, Lesser Planar Binding at 3, and Planar Binding at 4. The charm demon class ability allows him to deal with the called creature favorably, and a more permanent option from a magic item (such as ones listed above) should allow a reasonably persistent, reasonably powerful minion if Jason is prepared for a given conflict.

He also has access to the spell Dancing Chains, which will animate 4 chains to attack as spiked chains with his ranged attack bonus. This lacks the more eclectic abilities of his summons, but it lasts significantly longer.

The basic premise is to take any or all of these options to produce allies, then sing (with Inspire Legion and another song that's appropriate for the circumstances) to keep them all buffed and at a BAB of 20. Its also notable that the singing shout ability is not noted as having a perform requirement and thus probably doesn't count as War Chanter music. If this is ruled not to conflict with the ongoing songs and not to consume a use of bardic/chanter music, he should keep its effect in operation as near to continuously as is reasonable.

However, despite being more deadly, the produced allies will still often be fairly flimsy. While numbers alone should suffice for enemies of T3 and below, most full casters will be able to dispatch the summons/called creatures quickly unless otherwise dealt with. Application of Bestow Greater Curse (reducing their casting ability score to 1 or, should the type of caster be unclear, granting only a 25% chance to do anything in a given round) should be the first priority for enemy casters. This can be delivered by Jason himself, or through the Quasit Familiar (which can deliver touch spells and has SLA invisibility). After that, selective targeting should take care of them.

Since none of the War Chanter music is called out as requiring concentration, he can also use his Fiendish Legacy SLAs while chanting (though only once per day).

Depending on the speed of the campaign, 10 uses a day of war chanter music may not be enough. If that is the case, Extra Music should replace the Fiendish Heritage and Fiendish Legacy feats. It should be noted that in the absence of Legacy, Heritage probably isn't worth taking.

Desert Menu
Despite safely fulfilling the entry requirements, ME remains the least defensible element of the build: the class requires membership in the Disciples of Legend. While there is no alignment restriction on membership, it is an explicitly heroic organization where evil members are rare. This build, in contrast, is squarely villainous. Joe McDM would have to make a ruling on what would happen to the class levels and abilities should Jason be expelled from the disciples. I think, however, most DMs would either allow a suitable alternative organization for the special entry requirement or merely withdraw the membership benefits (if they are used) rather than docking class features. If ME is not on the menu for a villain, however, one level of bard and one level of Paragonostic Apostle (with the spellcasting going to demonologist) is probably a tad more powerful than the presented option.

Despite these problems, this represents probably the most flexible non-bard entry available. There are 3 FR specific entry option revolving around Milil, a NG god of light and music, restricted to cleric and paladin. There are a couple ways to get abilities explicitly similar bardic music without inspire courage, which might then allow entry through Dawncaller 1 for a Goliath. Warrior Skald gives explicit bardic music progression, but gives the 3e progression (so the DM would have to decide how to update) and requires a BAB of 7 to enter (thus requiring a minimum of 1 full BAB class level to enter in time to get War Chanter 10). This makes it fairly restrictive for most non-martial classes; moreover, it has little thematic or functional distinction from War Chanter.

Wine and Cheese Plate
If flaws are used, the additional feats can be spent on entry requirement feats, leaving the later feats open for Extra Music, metamagic feats, or item creation feats. If the Dark Speech variant from BOVD is in play, the Dark Speech feat is fairly thematically fitting. Alternatively, Able Learner would make discretionary skill spending far more flexible early in the build.

If Dragon Magazine feats are allowed, Theurgic Specialist is a better option than Practiced Spellcaster. If Dragon Magazine feats and flaws are on the table, Theurgic Creationist is also a good option.

If the rebuilding rules from PHB2 are in play, demonologist's independent spell list allows it to meet its own qualification requirements: if you rebuild at 15, you can switch out 3 levels of Conjurer for Demonologist and bump Summoning Mastery up to +3 rather than +2.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:34 AM
Come down to the water, my child...

Sebekh's Voice, Bladeling (MM2) Divine Minion* of Sebekh (LA +2)

*http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a

Bard 7, Fiend of Possession 4 (FF), Warchanter 7 (secret ingredient), +2 LA.

Go underwater. Then wait.
It would be long, but first or then you'll see a shady image, a prey cometh to beverage. The pray doesn't know, but she's dead already. Nothing to despair about: the crocodile will eat her and then leave what cannot digest to the river. The pray now is humous, the homous will flow and fertilize the land from which new prays will grow, giving endless sustainance to the predetor.
Word of Sebekh, Fangs who Wait.

Few Bladelings live in Heliopolis, a small number of them under the influence of Set and Sebekh. The latter has plans: mortals in Mulhorand would praise him more, so he can grow in power and strenght.
He needed a herald, a Voice.

This time is very difficult to put my build in 5 based softspots. I prefer to show the Voice by class and prestige class advancement.

Bard 7.
Guidelines:
Abilities: (on 32 point buy) Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 16 (17 at 4° level).
Skills: Perform: Oratory 13 (10 ranks), UMD 11 (8 ranks), Bluff & Diplomacy 9 (6 ranks) Hide & Move Silently 10 (8 ranks), Listen 8 (8 ranks) Knowledge Arcana 9 (6 ranks) [30 points free]
Feats: Weapon Focus (rapier), Silent Spell, Still Spell
Spells: 1- Amplify (SC), Improvisation (SC), Ventriloquism [empty];
2- Bladesong (link**), Harmonize (RoS), Speak to Allies (SC), [empty]
3- Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Major Image
Class features:
Bardic Knowledge: 10+1d20
Bardic music: Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1, Inspire Competence, Suggestion.

**http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010126a

Sebekh's Voice brings words of seduction to a single mortal at a time. He first approach his choosen with a warm smile and promises of power. Then comes the power, a warm sensation of self confidence.
Suggestions follow the power. Then demands follow suggestion.
At this point the prey is in Voice's hands: he/she can surrender his will and become a well trained puppet, or he can spite him. In which case the power granted by Sebekh's Voice will disappear in a moment, exactly in the time of need.
Those who finally choose to follow Sebekh are praised, the others lay dead, slain in some forgotten battle.

Bard 7, Fiend of Possession 4 (Fiend Folio).
Abilities: (on 32 point buy) Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Perform: Oratory 16 (12 ranks), UMD 14 (10 ranks), Bluff & Diplomacy 14 (10 ranks) Hide & Move Silently 10 (8 ranks), Listen 8 (8 ranks) Knowledge Arcana 9 (6 ranks) [30+4 points free]
Feats: Weapon Focus (rapier), Silent Spell, Still Spell, Combat Expertise
Fiend of Possession class features:
Ethereal Form, Hide Presence, Possess Object, Curse, Magic Item, Control Object, Animate Object, Possess Creature.

Strategies and Tactics:

Sebekh's Voice is basically a tempter. With high charm and manners induces mortals into a pact of cooperation. Suggestion can help.
His bardic music abilities and his Fiend of Possession abilities make him the perfect buffer: he can improve his pray's armor or weapon and at the same time using Ventriloquism or Speak with Allies to use his bardic music abilities, silenced and stilled if needed (since the abilities only requires that the allies can hear the bard and Oratory does not require an instrument, he can use his bardic music while possessing an object)
One can get deadly accustomed to these commodities, maybe dependent.
As a good old classic plot, he starts to make requests, then demands. If his demands are met, his prey survives at the cost of his conscience. If not, well... You can imagine it: in the heat of a skirmish, dismiss a +4 bonus to armor or weapon and add a Bestrow Curse (via Curse ability).

His Voice is being deadly efficient and Sebekh's followers are increasing, to the expenses of other Mulhorandi divinities. The time has come, the time to launch a major attack to Isis and Osiris followers in the material plane.
Who will lead the attackers? Who will give the call?

Bard 7, Fiend of Possession 4, Warchanter 7 LA +2
Abilities: (on 32 point buy) Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Perform: Oratory 25 (21 ranks), UMD 17 (13 ranks), Bluff 20 (16 ranks) Diplomacy 22 (18 ranks) Hide & Move Silently 12 (10 ranks), Listen 10 (10 ranks) Knowledge Arcana 9 (6 ranks) [30+4+20= 54 free]
Feats: Weapon Focus (rapier), Silent Spell, Still Spell, Combat Expertise, Chord of Distraction (CSc), Metamagic Song (RoS), Lingering Song
Warchanter class features: War Chanter Music, Inspire Toughness, Inspire Recklessness, Combine Song, Inspire Awe.

Strategies and Tactics:

Warchanter basicly adds flexibility, options and music abilities to the build. Now our hidden in a object Sebekh's Voice can use two bardic music/warchanter music abilities at a time. Since he has Lingering song, he can heavily buff his carrier and allies round by round. Warchanter adds some good ability to other allies too and the two feats chosen provide other options.
The Voice is a wonderful tempter, a good hidden buffer and a great occasion of roleplay. He rarely does "things" by himself, but consider the joy of making others do your job, as a master of puppets, before dismissing him.
Also consider that he is very effective and funny to play even naked (no magic items since now, have you noticed it?)

Add cheese:

Bard has UMD as a class skill. Usually a good thing. Add overpowered scrolls, staves and wands to the build. Just a small example: Heroics.
If you want to abuse UMD, find spells and magic items to buff it or to buff charisma. Then look at Magic Item Compendium: there is a glove similar to glove of storing that also allows to use activation items stored in it: use it in combination with a very good staff (maybe custom) and it will allow you to use it while possessing objects.
If you want to improve your hold against your carrier/pray, buy Ring of Master (BoVD) and several Rings of Slave (BoVD).

Credits:

The idea of Bladeling + Divine Minion comes straight to "Fiend of Possession Handbook", Widow the autor.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:37 AM
Anyone volunteering to take him out back and shoot him? No? Didn't think so.

Old Yeller, yells so hard your head hurts.
{table=head]Class | Str | Dex | Con | Int | Wis | Cha | BAB | Base Fort | Base Ref | Base Will | Feats | Class Features | Skills
Rogue | 16 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 | Combat Expertise, Dodge | Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding| Perform (Singing) 4 Knowledge (Local) 4 Concentration 4 Intimidate 4 Gather Information 4 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
Duskblade | 16 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 | | Armoured Attunement, Armoured Mage (Light) | Perform (Singing) 4.5 Knowledge (Local) 5 Concentration 5 Intimidate 4 Gather Information 4 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
Duskblade | 16 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 3 | Weapon Focus (Glaive) | Combat Casting | Perform (Singing) 5 Knowledge (Local) 6 Concentration 6 Intimidate 4 Gather Information 4 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
Duskblade | 17 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | | Arcane Channeling | Perform (Singing) 5.5 Knowledge (Local) 7 Concentration 7 Intimidate 4 Gather Information 4 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
Duskblade | 17 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 4 | | Armoured Mage (Medium) | Perform (Singing) 6 Knowledge (Local) 8 Concentration 8 Intimidate 4 Gather Information 4 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
Prestigous Bard | 17 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Power Attack | Bardic music (countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1), bardic knowledge | Perform (Singing) 9 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 9 Intimidate 5 Gather Information 5 Diplomacy 4 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 17 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 5 | 6 | 5 | 6 | | Inspire Toughness, War Chanter Music | Perform (Singing) 10 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 10 Intimidate 6 Gather Information 7 Diplomacy 5 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 18 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 6 | 6 | 5 | 6 | | | Perform (Singing) 11 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 11 Intimidate 7 Gather Information 9 Diplomacy 6 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 18 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 7 | 7 | 6 | 7 | Improved Bullrush | Inspire Recklessness | Perform (Singing) 12 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 12 Intimidate 8 Gather Information 11 Diplomacy 7 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 18 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 7 | | | Perform (Singing) 13 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 13 Intimidate 9 Gather Information 13 Diplomacy 8 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 18 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 9 | 8 | 6 | 7 | | Combat Songs | Perform (Singing) 14 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 14 Intimidate 10 Gather Information 14 Diplomacy 10 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 19 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 10 | 8 | 7 | 8 | Shock Trooper | | Perform (Singing) 15 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 15 Intimidate 11 Gather Information 15 Diplomacy 12 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 19 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 11 | 9 | 7 | 8 | | Inspire Awe | Perform (Singing) 16 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 16 Intimidate 12 Gather Information 16 Diplomacy 14 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 19 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 12 | 9 | 7 | 8 | | Stinging Shout | Perform (Singing) 17 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 17 Intimidate 13 Gather Information 17 Diplomacy 16 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 19 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 13 | 10 | 8 | 9 | Mobility | | Perform (Singing) 18 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 18 Intimidate 14 Gather Information 18 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 4 Decipher Script 4
War Chanter | 20 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 14 | 10 | 8 | 9 | | Inspire Legion | Perform (Singing) 19 Knowledge (Local) 9 Concentration 19 Intimidate 16 Gather Information 19 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 5 Decipher Script 4
Prestigous Bard | 20 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 15 | 10 | 9 | 10 | | | Perform (Singing) 20 Knowledge (Local) 10 Concentration 20 Intimidate 18 Gather Information 20 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 5 Decipher Script 4
Prestigous Bard | 20 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 16 | 11 | 9 | 10 | Elusive Target | Inspire Competence | Perform (Singing) 21 Knowledge (Local) 11 Concentration 21 Intimidate 20 Gather Information 21 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 5 Decipher Script 4
Prestigous Bard | 20 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 17 | 11 | 10 | 11 | | | Perform (Singing) 22 Knowledge (Local) 12 Concentration 22 Intimidate 22 Gather Information 22 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 5 Decipher Script 4
Prestigous Bard | 21 | 14 | 0 | 14 | 10 | 14 | 17 | 11 | 11 | 12 | | Inspire Courage +2 | Perform (Singing) 23 Knowledge (Local) 15 Concentration 23 Intimidate 23 Gather Information 23 Diplomacy 18 Use Magic Device 4 Tumble 4 Escape Artist 5 Decipher Script 4[/table]

Early Days (1 - 6)
Starting off as a brutal rogue, Old Yeller darts around his opponents, beating them up with his glaive, using his spells to help his friends, always working on his singing voice, not straying far from home
Spells which are needed to acquire through Duskblade are True Strike (Divination), Colour Spray (Illusions) and Rouse (Enchantment), the rest are able to get whatever is felt like. Using combat expertise and spells to get self into place, power attack with glaive to kill opponent

Yelling Begins (7-16)
Finding his powerful voice could drive his friends to great deeds, Old Yeller heads out into the world, finding armies to lead and tales to tell. Giving up on his magic, he learns to give himself to the blade, giving up defence to maximize attack
Making use of the full BAB of War Chanter, acquires Shock Trooper and its pre-requisites, improving damage dealing abilities, also improving singing skills getting more songs to buff those around

Refined Yelling (17-20)
After his time away with the world, Old Yeller decided to return home and spend the rest of his days as its protector, learning more bits of trivia while refining his friends and family into a great defensive force, ensuring his town never falls
Back into prestigious bard for the final levels, picking up Elusive Target to keep self alive after Shock Troopering

Overview
Wasn't sure how to build War Chanter, as it has high BAB and no improvement of casting. Leads to a build of better beat stick. Needing the bards inspire courage, bard is needed, but prestige bard however... Fits quite well.
Getting the requisits for prestige bard without loosing out on BAB was tough, though discovered that Duskblade has one divination, and one enchantment spell on its list, amidst the transmutation and evocations. Combined with the armour proficiencies leads to a decent melee build

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 04:57 AM
I will show you the noble art of warchanting, as passed down in my family for generations!

Canarius aka ‘Canary’
Scion of Rebellion
Chaotic Good

Canarius is a Suel barbarian from the Bright Lands, a cursed desert in the heartlands of Greyhawk. He has deeply tanned skin, rippling muscles, and waist length bright yellow-blond hair. His tendency to go bare-chested, his fondness for push-ups and other training exercises in any spare moment (such as when what you are saying isn’t immediately interesting) and the fact that Common is not his native tongue, have led some to doubt his intellectual abilities. This is not entirely inaccurate. However, he has managed to memorise his tribe’s entire ancient legacy of knowledge, which he tends to chant during battle, and is a cunning negotiator. His wits, body-builder physique, and fondness for muscle oil have served him well in his role as an emissary from his beleaguered tribe to their civilised matriarchal neighbour, the Gynarchy based in Hardby.

Just after the Fall of the Suel Imperium, a legion marched into a wilderness of hills and scrub on the edges of what is now known as the Bright Lands. They never returned. The descendents of that lost legion, barbarians of Suel descent, have lost almost all the trappings of that ancient empire. But in their oral tradition, handed down from generation to generation, the ancient katas and training rituals of that long lost empire echo on. The Bright Lands barbarians go to battle to the sounds of poetic recitations from ancient battle manuals, tactical pronouncements from long-dead generals, and training rituals from a forgotten age. Few understand the significance of the ancient words, fewer still can derive any useful meaning. But when a warrior arose who could put the ancient words into practice, the effects were little short of miraculous.

Anatasia Vyndich, historian to the Gynarch.

For an Empire to arise within the Bright Lands, it must be secure in its territory. The extent of my new domain will run from the Gynarchy to the west, to the mountains to the east. It will include the hills to the north and stretch southwards to the sea. The various trading, mining and fishing settlements throughout this area are weak and will be easily overawed. Choose a few in each area and make examples of them. The wandering ashtari, the centaur nomads, and the Suel barbarians are too primitive to be worth anything. They will be eliminated.

Decree of Extermination, allegedly written by Rary, Archmage and Traitor

What does he look like? He looks like a barbarian. They all look like barbarians. When you see them howling at you across the sands, you'll be hard pressed in the heat haze to tell one savage from another. No, you'll know when he's around. The first time a full cavalry charge collapses against peasants with spears, the first time a lieutenant comes back with stripped of all his equipment but without a scratch on him, the first time a subdued village turn into a pack of commandos overnight, using tactics that haven’t been seen in two hundred years, you'll know he's here.

Captain Falstaff, a mercenary in service of Rary, to his relieving officer.

The three of them returned, on foot, missing their mounts, their weapons, and most of their possessions and supplies, but otherwise not a scratch on them. Apparently they met the barbarian, who stood by and watched while four villagers armed with staves tripped their horses, and then disarmed them. I am given to understand that two of the villagers were young ladies, and a third was a small child. Then the barbarian barked some foreign words at them, and they ran. Sir, you must understand that these are some of my best people, two mercenary captains and a Hextorite Blackguard. If I can’t get some more reinforcements to put a lid on these incidents, we may face a serious uprising.

Letter from a mercenary commander to Rary’s high command, shortly before the battle of Holt’s Landing

Canarius aka 'Canary'
Race: Human (Suel)
Home: Bright Lands

Str 16
int 13
wis 8
dex 10
con 10
chr 17
Languages: Ancient Suel (native), Common

{table]Level |Class |BAB |Fort |Ref |Will |hp |Abilities |Feats |Notable Skills
1 |Marshal1 |0 |2 |0 |2 |8 |Minor aura: arts of war |Combat expertise, improved trip, skill focus (diplomacy) |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive
2 |Bard1 |0 |2 |2 |4 |12 |Bardsong, Inspire courage, fascinate, countersong, bardic knack | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble
3 |Bard2 |1 |2 |3 |5 |16 |(gains inspirational boost)| Improved disarm |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble
4 |Fighter1 |2 |4 |3 |5 |22 | |Weapon focus (ranseur) |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
5 |Fighter2 |3 |5 |3 |5 |28 | |Power attack |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
6 |Marshal2 |4 |6 |3 |6 |33 |Major Aura: +1 to hit in melee |Improved bull rush |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
7 |Warchanter1 |5 |8 |3 |6 |38 |Inspire toughness| |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
8 |Warchanter2 |6 |9 |3 |6 |43 || |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
9 |Warchanter3 |7 |9 |4 |7 |48 |Inspire recklessness |Shock Trooper (CW) |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
10 |Warchanter4 |8 |10 |4 |7 |53 | | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
11 |Warchanter5 |9 |10 |4 |7 |58 |Combine Songs | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
12 |Warchanter6 |10 |11 |5 |8 |63 | |Driving strike (PHB II) |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
13 |Warchanter7 |11 |11 |5 |8 |68 |Inspire awe| |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
14 |Warchanter8 |12 |12 |5 |8 |73 |Singing Shout | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
15 |Warchanter9 |13 |12 |6 |9 |78 ||Iron will |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
16 |Warchanter10 |14 |13 |6 |9 |83 |Inspire legion | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
17 |Holy Liberator1 |15 |15 |6 |11 |89 |Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day, spells | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate
18 |Holy Liberator2 |16 |16 |6 |12 |95 |Remove fatigue |Combat panache (PHB II) |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate, Heal, Ride
19 |Holy Liberator3 |17 |16 |7 |12 |101 |Aura of resolve | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate, Heal, Ride
20 |Holy Liberator4 |18 |17 |7 |13 |107 |Break enchantment 1/week, Divine Grace | |Perform (oratory), Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Religeon) Perform (horn), Sense Motive, Tumble, Intimidate, Heal, Ride[/table]

Canarius Marshal1/Bard2/Fighter2
Str 16
Int 13
Wis 8
Dex 10
Con 10
Chr 18
Hp 28
AC 15

Notable items:
+1 chain shirt
Badge of valour (MiC)
Mw ranseur

At 5th level Canarius is a capable warrior, exploring the area and thwarting the machinations of Rary. He’s also making peaceful contact with the various tribes of the region, and acting as emissary from his own tribe to nearest neutral power, the Gynarchy.
Fighting defensively he can push his AC up to 20, while still being able to trip enemies that come within his 10’ reach (+11 on trip checks). Enlarge Person is a favourite buff, pushing his reach up to 20foot, and his trip check up (+16), more than enough to trip mounts, and even huge monster. However, he is a light infantry character, and lacks the hp of a true ‘tank’. He can fill in that role only if well supported
Fighting offensively, he can power attack, or strike to disarm, stripping off weapons and items (disarm +14).
He can inspire courage twice a day to get +3 to hiot and +3 to damage for the entire party (bardsong + inspirational boost (SC) + badge of valour (MiC).

Canarius Marshal2/Bard2/Fighter2/Warchanter4
Str 16
Int 13
Wis 8
Dex 10
Con 10
Chr 19 (21)
BAB +8
Hp 53
AC 18 (+3 chain shirt)

Notable items:
+3 chain shirt
Lesser armour crystal of (DR5/-)
Badge of valour (MiC)
+1 blurring ranseur
Mw cold iron greatsword
Armbands of might (MiC)
Helm of tactics (MiC)
Cloak of charisma (+2)

At 10th level, Canarius is a both a tactical warrior and a party buffer, starting to actively fight against Rary’s forces, and encourage others to do the same. He’s now be able to lead assaults by peasants and low-level warriors, offering temporary hp, bonuses to hit and damage, and the ability to allow even hoards of commoners to disarm (+10), trip (+6) and bull rush (+6) with impunity.

In defence he can push up his armour to a respectable AC 25, and now has DR/5- and the ability to blur. His inspire toughness provides him and everyone else with 8 temporary hp. He is still tripping large and huge monsters (Trip +15, or +20 when enlarged).

However it’s on the offense that the most has changed, with the inspire recklessness ability allowing him to trade AC for attack bonus. This allows him to use full power attack without changing his chance to hit, or to get a disarm of +32. Together with the hugely entertaining shock trooper feat he can charge bull rush (+15) one person into a second person, trip them both (+15 each), and then disarm them both (+36/+31). The downside to this is his AC goes through the floor, so he’s relying on trip, disarm and other manoeuvres to keep the enemy at bay, as well as his DR, temporary hp and blur ability.

Canarius: Marshal2/Bard2/Fighter2/Warchanter9
Str 16 (20)
Int 13 (17)
Wis 8 (12)
Dex 10 (14)
Con 10 (14)
Chr 20 (24)
BAB +13
Hp 108
AC 21

Notable items:
+3 chain shirt (glamoured)
Lesser armour crystal of (DR5/-)
Badge of valour (MiC)
+1 blurring ranseur
Mw cold iron greatsword
Armbands of might (MiC)
Helm of tactics (MiC)
Belt of magnificence (+4 all stats) (Min)
Horn of Valhalla
Ring of protection +1

At 15th level Canarius is fully fledged rebel commander, taking to the field with anyone he can muster, and his sheer force of personality holds unlikely allies together. Those of the rebellion standing with him can expect him to inspire them to heights of glory, and drive the enemy before them. His presence is such that small armies of low-level characters are almost an irrelevance to him, and even lowly peasants can put the enemy in their place. Only monsters and high level characters remain a threat, which is precisely where the focus of the action in such a campaign should be.

Buffing others, Canarius can provide not only +3/+3 bardsong, a +4 strength bonus, 18 temporary hp and a mighty +8 to disarm, grapple and trip checks. This would allow an unarmed child (BAB +0, Str 6) to trip (+8), and disarm (+11) a man at arms or even a 1st level fighter, with no serious prospect of injury. A gang of 6 such children stand an excellent chance of coup de gracing a low level fighter in a single round. (take AOO, trip, disarm, grapple, pin, coup de grace with own weapon). In practice this means that everyone, yes, everyone, including old ladies, children, and even household pets, can fight to deadly effect.

Blowing the horn of Valhalla provides raging barbarians should old ladies and housecats not be available.

(At 16th level this ability gets even better with inspire legion, giving those same children (and Canarius! )+16 BAB. This works out as an unarmed child with a disarm of +27, enough to snatch the spiked chain from the claws of a Horned Devil, although he’d admittedly have to catch him flat footed first. The same child also end up with 4 attacks a round.)

Special mention should also go to the Inspire Awe ability, causing all enemies under 20HD within 60’ to flee if they fail a DC26 will save. And it can be combined with another song at the same time.

Defensively, Canarius is much the same. He can push up his armour to a respectable AC 26 with combat expertise, while still using disarm and trip to attack without difficulty. He also has DR/5-, the ability to blur, and over 100 hp. His inspire toughness provides him and everyone else with 18 temporary hp. He is still tripping large and huge monsters (Trip +15, or +20 when enlarged).

Offensively, Canarius can increase his already high attack modifier (+21 assuming a +1 ranseur) by up to +13 with Inspire recklessness, allowing him a huge bonus to hit, or simply to full power attack (+28 damage) without a to hit penalty. With heedless charge from the shock trooper feat, he can do both, attacking with full power attack at +34 to hit, although this will lower his AC to -5. Alternatively he can get a disarm of +48. With Domino rush from shock trooper, he can bull rush (+19) one person into a second person, trip them both (+19 each), and then disarm them both (+39/+31). The downside to this is his AC goes through the floor, so he’s relying on trip, disarm and other manoeuvres to keep the enemy at bay, as well as his DR, temporary hp and blur ability.

(At 16th level, Canarius gets inspire legion, which can boost his BAB to +16. More over, it makes the BAB of the entire party to 16, which together with the inspire recklessness ability, and the +4 to strength from inspire awe, gives everyone in the party +32 to hit, together with the usual +7 or +8 to disarm, bulrush, trip, etc. This is useful if you need a devastating first charge, or are fighting something that doesn’t need to roll to hit, either because it fights in some other way, or is powerful enough that in effect it won’t miss anyway.)

Canarius: Marshal2/Bard2/Fighter2/Warchanter10/Holy Liberator4
Str 16 (20)
Int 13 (17)
Wis 8 (12)
Dex 10 (14)
Con 10 (14)
Chr 22 (26)
BAB +18
Hp 147
AC lots

Notable items:
Lots

At 20th level, Carnarius has received divine sanction for his struggle, and is starting to embody not just the rebellion against Rary, but a higher principle of revolution and resistance to oppression. His skills are unsurpassed, and he is remarkably resilient (+8 to all saves). He removes fatigue, fear and foul enchantment alike with his mere presence, and none but the gods themselves can force him to act against his will.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 05:10 AM
Would you mind if I killed you? Would you mind if I tried to, because you have turned into my worst enemy.

Miryam Ziv Pantheras “The Voice from Below”

It’s always been hard for women in the Army, at least in Adina. Sure Miryam had heard that in some lands the military was more inclusive but she didn’t have a choice about where she served anymore than she did about anything else in her life. Her father was Adina’s highest ranking General answering only to the king, further he was considered one of the greatest military minds in history and had literally written the book on modern military tactics. The lives of such a man’s children were far too important to be left to chance.

The only tradition more deeply rooted in Andirian culture than sexism and military might was a complex and highly complex and often convoluted caste system. So at the age of twelve after almost a decade of learning to be the perfect obedient wife to some young officer from a high ranking family being groomed for a seat of the war council she was thrown into the academy with boys that had been training in all aspects of the art of war their entire young lives when it became apparent that her parents would not produce a male
\heir.

As the eldest daughter of the High General she was entitled to some unique privileges such as opulent private quarters with amenities as down comforters and pillows, an extensive library (made up entirely of military texts), gourmet meals delivered to her chambers and a personal bodyguard/tutor Lux a foreign woman mercenary taller and stronger than many of Adina’s finest gladiators. Were it not for these luxuries Miryam’s tortures at her classmates hands would undoubtedly have been indescribable as it was they were merely unbearable.

Though she was housed and trained privately in the evenings during the day she had the same classes and training as her male counterparts. This gave them plenty of oppurtunities to tease and bully her. After every incident they would apoligize mockingly saying “Please excuse me, Princess” or “A thousand pardons Milady.” In every class she was made to feel like a dunce and in every exercise she was exhausted and with even the slowest of the boys almost out of sight after only the first few obstacles. By the time she finished the course she had often missed the mid-day meal and would arrive late to class covered in mud and bleeding from several small scratches when the boys had all changed into clean. This earned her the ire of her afternoon instructors and with it extra menial duties.

After standing by watching for a week Lux started helping Miryam with her extra duties, when nobody else could see of course, and packed an extra sandwich for her charge. She also started their evening tutoring while they worked when the lessons could be taught orally. In a few months Miryam was doing well enough that she was no longer punished for incompetence by her instructors on a daily basis, in a little over a year she was almost an average student. By the time she was sixteen she was excelling, when she wasn’t covered in scrapes and bruises from her own clumsiness on the obstacle course and her classmate’s abuse it became apparent that she had developed into a very beautiful young woman.

This of course led to another kind of assault, it only happened once though. Lux saw it coming and could have intervened but instead stood by knowing that her charge could defend herself. Her classmate spent the next two months with his arm in a cast. She refused to explain herself to the instructors and was punished with double duties for the period of the boy’s convalesence. The story made it’s way around the school nonetheless and the rest of her time in school was relatively pleasant.

After graduation Miryam was made second in command unit and she found that all her work was for naught. Neither her superiors or subordinates had any respect for her. Her rank required that the common troops follow her orders and that she be included in command meetings but ultimately she was ignored. No matter how sound insightful her suggestions were her commander ignored them willfully, sometimes even taking actions he new were inferior because the plan of action she suggested was the same as his own. She didn’t realize this until she slipped into his tent one night and read his journal, it’s not hard to sneak around people who intentionally ignore you.

After many months she realized she could control her commander in a rather awkward fashion, utilizing the lessons she’d learned as a girl about controlling men, suggesting every plan she could imagine forcing him to come up with the plan she wanted him to use all along. Once she knew this it was a simple matter to hide a few key intelligence reports then send her commander into a trap and get him killed in the next battle then making herself look like a hero by saving what remained of her unit and after that it truly was her unit.

Bard 4/Warblade 1

Str 13
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 18 (17 + 1 level)

HP 4d6 +1d12 +5 (avg 26)
AC 15 (10+4 armor+1 Dex)
Init +1

BAB +4

Fort 4(base +3+1 mod)
Ref 4(base +4+1 mod)
Will 4 (base +4+0 mod)

Guisarme +7 2d4+1 X3 critical

Spiked Gauntlet +6 1d4+1

Skill Ranks
Bluff 7
Diplomacy 8
Concentration 8
Gather Information 7
Hide 7
Move Silently 7
Perform (Sing) 7
Perform (Dance) 5
Knowledge (History) 8
Knowledge (Nobility) 5

Class Features
Bardic Music
Bardic Knack ACF (in place of Bardic Knowledge make untrained skill checks with a bonus equal to half your level in bard.)
Countersong
Fascinate
Inspire Courage +1
Inspire Competance
Battle Clarity (Reflex saves)

Feats
Expertise
Weapon Focus Guisarme
Combat Reflexes

Manuevers
Leading the Attack (strike- allies gain +4 to hit the enemy you strike)
Steel Wind(strike- attack two enemies you threaten as a standard action)
Tactical Strike (strike- attack adding 2d6 damage, adjacent allies may take a 5 foot step that doesn’t provoke AoO’s)

Stance
Leading the Charge (All allies within Hearing gain +3 bonus to damage on a charge.)
Spells per day 3, 3, 1

Spells known
0-daze, detect magic, light, mage hand, message, prestidigitation
1- Amplify, inspirational boost, charm person
2- bonefiddle, tongues

Equipment
None of note aside from MW weapons and armor.
Tactics
At this level Miryam is a highly functional buffer easily doubling the combat strength of low level soldiers. Casting Amplify on herself pre-fight makes her AoE pretty huge. Casting Inspirational Boost as a swift action she grants the following bonuses.

+2 attack
+2 damage(+5 on charge)

Since Warblade refreshes manuevers by making a full attack she could juggle full attacks with Tactical Strike(for extra damage and extra maneuverability for her adjacent allies or leading the attack to give her allies +2 to hit one tough opponent (+4 but the morale bonus doesn’t stack with inspire courage).

Combat Reflexes and reach combined with her own buffing make Miryam a fairly effective combatant herself and an excellent anchor for a unit of lower level warriors and bonefiddle can be very effective at killing a single enemy if they have a lower Fort save(DC18 3d6 damage/round for four rounds with a new save each round).

Now Miryam had command of a unit and she lead it well. She was no longer a useless little girl playing at being a soldier but, a battle hardened commander. However now she had the attentions of some of the highest raking officers in the country and no matter how hard she tried she could never live up to their expectations. Everytime she was debriefed after a mission she was regailed with stories of her father’s brilliance and often about how the general had saved the storyteller’s life. Then her own actions would be described as adequate, acceptable or as expected.

Despite being one of the most talented young officers in the entire Army she was always being disfavor ably compared to her nigh-deific father. Since martial training had failed to get her the respect she deserved she turned to dark magic pouring over any captured tomes she could intercept.

The winter came and went with not a single mission worthy of Miryam’s talents until, in the early days of April, a massive army was mustered and force marched west for three days, at last reaching to the foot of a mountain pass leading northward and out of their native lands. Whispers of a coming war had been circulating through the ranks for months now, and it seemed at last that the rumors were coming true. The army made camp out of sight of the pass and began their silent vigil.

Shortly before dawn the next morning, what Miryam had anticipated so long finally came to pass- a message came from the lookouts stationed above the mouth of the pass, informing the officers of imminent attack. Without pause she mustered her unit, but her glee at finally having a chance to prove herself in a real battle was quickly turned to disappointment when she found out where she was to be deployed- in the rear of the army, waiting with the reserve units. With no option but to obey, Miryam watched with anguish as the rest of the army marched on without her.

Before long reports of the battle began coming back to the reserve officers in real time, conveyed via simple magic to the place where they stood. The enemy had indeed marched to meet them, unaware, exhausted from crossing the mountains, and with a force only half the size of the Andirion army. Within minutes the battle was over, the outmatched invasion force retreating into the mountains, pursued by zealous infantry. Several minutes later a final transmission came in- another enemy army had emerged from the pass unlooked-for, just as tired as the first but close to three times the numbers.

Full retreat was ordered not long after, and the reserve force moved south to ford a river running down out of the mountains. As the sun rose red over the horizon however, it became apparent that the river was uncrossable, flooded by the spring rains. Miryam smiled inwardly as the entire unit turned around to face the advancing enemy. It was a cavalry unit that reached them first, respected veterans who charged the cornered unit heedlessly. Miryam’s voice rang across the battlefield as she ordered her men to the front, guisarmes set to greet the chargers. The battle ended abruptly when she personally felled the cavalry commander. Of the fifty men who had attacked her unit, only a dozen survived to tell the tale. Miryam leaned over the fallen commander and saw he was breathing. A few magical words from her was all it took to put a stop to that.

With no time to spare, the reservists, numbering barely one hundred, began marching the only way that was left to them- back toward the enemy. None of them seemed to notice when the dead commander rose and joined the back ranks of their unit. Two more enemy companies fell fighting them, and as they advanced more and more of the splintered Andirian forces rallied to Miryam’s clear calls, until at last they were able to turn east again unopposed, marching away from the battle uncontested.

Over the following months, Miryam secured victory after victory in the name of her country, slowly being granted the authority she so richly deserved. Over time she began to build up her own “personal guard,” a group of soldiers who never spoke, and when not being directly commanded could occasionally be glimpsed shuffling clumsily about. Everyone in her unit knew something wasn’t right, but the few that knew her secret kept silent about it.

Talk of her remarkable successes circulated through the military’s uppermost ranks, even reaching the ears of Miryam’s own father, who had had little time to follow his daughter’s career since the onset of the war. As the days grew shorter and the nights colder, the decision was made at last to promote Miryam to Colonel, and the esteemed High General decided to inform his daughter in person. Getting a teleport cast was a trivial matter for a man of his standing, and moments later he stood within sight of Miryam’s encampment, and without pause began walking briskly toward the campfires.

For the first time since her graduation from officer’s school nearly two years ago, Miryam stood face to face with the legend that had overshadowed her entire life. For several awkward moments they simply gazed at each other, Miryam unsure of whether to greet him as a father or a superior officer. After what seemed like an eternity her instincts got the better of her training and she rushed to embrace her father. At the same moment, one of her guards tripped as it shuffled by, falling to the ground, helmet slipping off to reveal the face of a young Andarion soldier, face rotting and covered in open wounds. Horrified, the general pushed Miryam away and teleported back to the capitol…

The next morning, those few of Miryam’s troops that surrendered immediately when the general’s personal guard attacked were put to death by hanging in the city square. Miryam herself was not so lucky; the Andian government had long been concerned with the threat of necromancy, and had her tortured for weeks before they were satisfied she learned and practiced necromancy alone. When at last she was burned at the stake for her practices, she gladly welcomed oblivion.

Bard 4/Warblade 1/Warchanter 5

Str 13
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 21 (17 + 2 level +2 enhancement)

HP 4d6 +1d12+5d8 +10 (avg 51)
AC 15 (10+4 armor+1 Dex)
Init +1

BAB +9

Fort (base +7
Ref (base +5
Will (base +5

Guisarme +9 2d4 X3 critical

Spiked Gauntlet +9 1d4

Bluff 7
Diplomacy 10
Concentration 13
Gather Information 13
Hide 7
Move Silently 7
Perform (Sing) 13
Perform (Dance) 5
Knowledge (History) 13
Knowledge (Nobility) 10

Class Features
Bardic Music
Bardic Knack ACF (in place of Bardic Knowledge make untrained skill checks with a bonus equal to half your level in bard.)
Countersong
Fascinate
Inspire Courage +1
Inspire Competance
Warchanter Music
Inspire Toughness
Inspire Recklessness
Combine Song

Feats
Expertise
Weapon Focus Guisarme
Combat Reflexes
Power Attack
Corpsecrafter

Manuevers
Tactical Strike (strike- attack adding 2d6 damage, adjacent allies may take a 5 foot step that doesn’t provoke AoO’s)

Stance
Leading the Charge (All allies within Hearing gain +5 bonus to damage on a charge.)
Spells per day 3, 4, 1

Spells known
2- bonefiddle, tongues

Equipment
Badge of Valor
+1 Harmonious Guisarme
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Fell Animate
+1 Breastplate
+2 cloak of charisma

Tactics
Much as before Miryam is mainly a buffer attacking only when hardpressed or presented with a particularly juicy target. She will generally open with inspire courage (boosted by Inspirational boost, badge of valor and amplify) then pass it’s maintenance to her harmonious weapon and use combine song to activate inspire toughness and inspire recklessness. She tries to kill one powerful enemy with a Fell Animate Bonefiddle each time she enters combat.

The bonuses she grants are as follows
+3 to hit
+3 to damage(+8 on charge)
+10 temporary hp
Recklessness: This is essentially a better version of headless charge as it has the same -AC/+to hit mechanic with no restrictions other than limited by BAB. It isn’t restricted to a charge, doesn’t require -5 minimum to activate and the bonus functions for the entire round presumably including AoOs.
For say a level 2 warrior that’s -2 AC +4 damage a very nice trade off.
So

Warrior 2(elite array)Full power attack/recklessness
Str 15
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 8
AC 13 (+4 armor+1 Dex-2reckless)
Hp 16 (26 with inspire toughness)

Guisarme +8 (+2 BAB +2 Str+1 WF+3 IC) 2d4+9(+14on charge)

Spiked Gantlet +7 1d4+7

Feats Power Attack, Weapon Focus Guisarme

Human Zombie enhanced by corpse crafter wearing leather armor
Hp 20 (16+4 corpse crafter) (30 with inspire toughness)
AC 12 (+2 armor-1 Dex -1 recklessness+2 natural)
Slam +7 (+1 BAB+3 Str+3 IC) 1d6 (+4 Str+3 IC+2 recklessness
Otherwise identical to normal zombie.

Miryam woke feeling rested and comfortable except that the stone she rested upon was too cold. When she saw the symbol of Erythnul around the neck of the scaled figure bent over her she tensed up. She grabbed him and struggled to disarm him then she remembered where she’d seen this lizard folk before. Apoligizing she rose to a seated position on the alter. Miryam met Razael while she was seeking knowledge of the dark arts, he was a prisoner of the Andarian army and had been more than willing to share his considerable knowledge with her. The knowledge he had shared freely. In exchange for his freedom he gave her several items they liberated from lockup and explained their use to her. He also cast a spell on her. She hadn’t asked him to and doubted it’s worth but, he cast it anyway calling it an “investment”.

Now the nature of the spell was revealed she had been brought back from the dead and was well outside the reach of Andarian Justice. Razael grinned at Miryam and direceted her to quarters he arranged for her. After several weeks rest and considered her options she decided to fight for Razael’s church against Andaria. Razael was pleased of course but not surprised, opened a cabinet in his study revealing a new kit crafted specifically for Miryam of black metals and carved bone. He even returned the metamagic rod she’d she taken the night she freed Razael, he’d had a calling enchantment upon it and could have retrieved it anytime he’d wanted to. Miryam spent several weeks raiding to collect a new force of zombies and returned her to the temple where Razael added his own magic to them enhancing them further. Now it was time for Miryam to begin taking revenge on the Andarian military and her father for a lifetime of suffering.

Bard 4/Warblade 1/Warchanter 10

Str 13
Dex 12
Con 12 (12 +2 enhancement bonus-2 Resurection Pact)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 24 (17 + 3 level +4 enhancement)

HP 4d6 +1d12+10d8 +15 (avg 76)
AC 18 (10+7 armor+1 Dex)
DR 5/Bludgeoning
Init +1

BAB +14

Fort (base +10
Ref (base +7
Will (base +7

Guisarme +21 2d4+5 X3 critical

Spiked Gauntlet +9 1d4

Bluff 7
Diplomacy 13
Concentration 18
Gather Information 18
Hide 7
Move Silently 7
Perform (Sing) 18
Perform (Dance) 5
Knowledge (History) 18
Knowledge (Nobility) 10
Intimidate 12

Class Features
Bardic Music
Countersong
Fascinate
Inspire Courage +1
Inspire Competance
Warchanter Music
Inspire Toughness
Inspire Recklessness
Combine Song
Inspire Awe
Singing Shout
Inspire Legion

Feats
Expertise
Weapon Focus Guisarme
Combat Reflexes
Power Attack
Corpsecrafter
Nimble Bones
Bolster Resistence

Manuevers

Stance
Leading the Charge (All allies within Hearing gain +8 bonus to damage on a charge.)
Spells per day 3, 4, 1

Spells known
2- bonefiddle, tongues

Equipment
Badge of Valor
Vest of Legends
+1 Harmonious Guisarme
Exoskeleton
+2 cloak of charisma
Enervating Arm graft
Vampiric Fangs graft

Tactics
Miryam is all grown up and on her own now. She has all of the buffing abilities of a Warchanter as well as a heavily bolstered Inspire Courage and a less important but, still effective effective martial stance. Her abilities would be somewhat helpful to a party of her level but they are a huge force multiplier to low level mooks.

+4 to hit
+4 to damage(+12 on charge)
Raises BAB of allies to +15 (or higher if there is an ally with a BAB higher than her level with her.
Recklessness: This is essentially a better version of headless charge as it has the same -AC/+to hit mechanic with no restrictions other than limited by BAB. It isn’t restricted to a charge, doesn’t require -5 minimum to activate and the bonus functions for the entire round presumably including AoOs.
Now combining these abilities has a remarkable effect. Assuming one of Miryam’s minions has Power Attack (they all do) when their BAB is boosted to +15 they can take a -15 to hit and gain +30 to damage with a two handed weapon then drop their AC by 15 to get +15 to hit along with Miryam’s other bonuses her zombies have a +22 to hit they are highly glass cannony but will pretty much liquefy anything they get to attack.

Also any undead she creats have the folloing permanent bonuses
+4 enhancement bonus to Strengh
+10 to land movement speed
+4 initiative
+4 turning resistence

Here is an example of Miryam’s effect on a simple zombie
Awakened Human zombie formerly an Andarian soldier.
Hp 20 (16+4 corpse crafter)
AC 15 (+4 armor -1 Dex ,+2 natural) (0 after recklessness)
Init +3 (-1 dex+4 nimble bones
Guisarme +22 (+15 BAB/recklessness+ 4 IC+3 Str+1 Weapon Focus) 2d4+38 [+46 on charge]+4 Str+4 IC+30 Power Attack)
+4 Turning Resistenrce
Otherwise identical to normal zombie.

All her life she had worked toward becoming the perfect Andirian officer, and all her life, Miryam had walked in her father’s shadow. Now, in just a few months of terror, she had made sure her name was whispered in fear across the nation. The time had come to enact the next stage in her plans; the eradication of her father, the Andirian High General. Several days of dedicated scrying at last revealed the perfect opportunity; the general was to give a speech in front of the Council of Lords proposing his next campaign. The room would be so full of noncombatants his guard would be crippled by the crowd.

The general gave his address. The assembled noblemen stood up, shouting over on another, expressing their support or their condemnation. The sound of voices filled the chamber, but beneath it all, barely audible amidst the din, was the sound of a woman singing. The singing grew louder. Then all at once the floor itself cracked, masonry being hurled upward as the head of a great purple worm exploded from the ground, and astride its head stood Miryam, her voice magically enhanced to a deafening roar. Zombies poured out of the hole behind the undead worm, swarming outward and preventing the general’s guards from reaching him, as Miryam herself directed her mount to attack him. Within minutes the battle was over, the floor of the meeting hall littered with corpses and Miryam nowhere to be found. As for the general? Just one more zombie in her ever-growing force.

Bard 4/Warblade 6/Warchanter 10

Str 13
Dex 12
Con 14 (12 +4 enhancement bonus-2 Resurection Pact)
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 32 (17 + 5 level +6 enhancement +4 inherant)

HP 4d6 +6d12+10d8 +40 (avg 131)
AC 18 (10+7 armor+1 Dex)
DR 5/Bludgeoning
Init +1

BAB +19

Fort (base +13+3)
Ref (base +9+1)
Will (base +9+0)

Guisarme +38/+33/+27/+22 2d4+5 X3 critical
(can gain + 40 damage from recklessness)
Spiked Gauntlet +24 1d4+5

Bluff 7
Diplomacy 13
Concentration 23
Gather Information 18
Hide 7
Move Silently 8
Perform (Sing) 18
Perform (Dance)cc 11
Knowledge (History) 23
Knowledge (Nobility) 10
Intimidate 23

Class Features
Bardic Music
Countersong
Fascinate
Inspire Courage +1
Inspire Competance
Warchanter Music
Inspire Toughness
Inspire Recklessness
Combine Song
Inspire Awe
Singing Shout
Inspire Legion
Uncanny Dodge
Battle Ardor (Int to confirm crits)
Improved Uncanny Dodge

Feats
Expertise
Weapon Focus Guisarme
Combat Reflexes
Power Attack
Corpsecrafter
Nimble Bones
Bolster Resistence
Improved Initiative
Snowflake Wardance

Manuevers
*Ironheart Surge (immediate action; remove one negative effect from yourself)
*Moment of Perfect Mind (immediate action make concentration check in place of will save.)
*Manticore Parry (immediate action attack roll if you beat an attackers attack roll with your own you can redirect their attack to another adjacent enemy)
Clarion Call (swift action; if you fell with a mellee attack during your turn all allies within 60ft can immediately make a single mellee attack or take a move action.

Stance
Leading the Charge (All allies within Hearing gain +8 bonus to damage on a charge.)

Spells per day 3, 5, 3

Spells known
2- bonefiddle, tongues

Equipment
Badge of Valor
Vest of Legends
+1 Harmonious Guisarme
Exoskeleton
+6 cloak of charisma
Enervating Arm graft
Vampiric Fangs graft
+ 4 tome of leadership and influence

Tactics
Miryam is all grown up and on her own now. She has all of the buffing abilities of a Warchanter as well as a heavily bolstered Inspire Courage and a less important but, still effective effective martial stance. Her abilities would be somewhat helpful to a party of her level but they are a huge force multiplier to low level mooks.

+4 to hit
+4 to damage(+17 on charge)
Raises BAB of allies to +20 (or higher if there is an ally with a BAB higher than her level with her.
Now combining these abilities has a remarkable effect. Assuming one of Miryam’s minions has Power Attack (they all do) when their BAB is boosted to +20 they can take a -20 to hit and gain +40 to damage with a two handed weapon then drop their AC by 20 to get +20 to hit along with Miryam’s other bonuses her zombies have a +27 to hit they are highly glass cannony but will pretty much liquefy anything they get to attack.

Also any undead she creats have the folloing permanent bonuses
+4 enhancement bonus to Strengh
+10 to land movement speed
+4 initiative
+4 turning resistence

Here is an example of Miryam’s effect on a simple zombie
Awakened Human zombie formerly an Andarian soldier.
Hp 20 (16+4 corpse crafter)
AC 15 (+4 armor -1 Dex ,+2 natural) (0 after recklessness)
Init +3 (-1 dex+4 nimble bones)
Guisarme +28 (+20 BAB/recklessness+ 4 IC+3 Str+1 Weapon Focus) 2d4+48 [+61 on charge]+4 Str+4 IC+40 Power Attack)
+4 Turning Resistence
Otherwise identical to normal zombie

Awakened PurpleWorm Zombie
Size/Type: Gargantuan Magical Beast Hit Dice: 32d12 +64`(256 hp)
Initiative: +2 Speed: 30 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft., swim 10 ft.
Armor Class: 24 (-4 size, -4 Dex, +22 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 24 Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+42 Attack: Bite +28 melee (2d8+18) Full Attack: Bite +28 melee (2d8+18) and sting +23 melee (2d6+11 plus poison) Space/Reach: 20 ft./15ft. Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, poison
Special Qualities: Tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +4

Abilities: Str 41, Dex 4, Con -, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 8 Skills: Listen +18, Swim +20
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite), Weapon Focus (sting)
Single Actions only
Turn Resistence +4

Only Corpsecrafter bonuses have been applied to this zombie. Though she usually doesn’t have it utilize reckless attacks because it is her escape plan.

Tactics
After extensive planning spying Miryam will attack a target in a blitzkrieg tactic. Usually this involves her Zombie Purple worm attacking from underground often into a command tent or the inside an important building (her worm coming through the pulpit and swallowing a priest during mass was one of her all time favorite raid) with luck a high value target is killed by this attack. Then it rears up and a hatch in it’s chest opens like a set of bomb bay doors and Miryam’s zombies come pouring out and attack all in sight. Miryam commands from a platform of the worms head. When she feels threatened or like she’s had enough fun she orders the zombies back into their chamber and the zombie worm burrows away.

Though she can make respectable attacks with recklessness and snowflake war dance she rarely does for two reasons first, she knows that she is relatively fragile and second it ends her inspire legion ability which will severely reduce the effectiveness of her force so she will only do this either in desperation or because it’s worth a lot of style points.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 05:14 AM
And you will kniw that my name is the LORD, when I lay down my vengeance upon thee!

Raised as a skald among a barbarian tribe, Taeron spent his youth (and much of his life) dreaming of performing and retelling great deeds in battle. He took easily to life as adventurer, traveling the land far and wide in search of the opportunity to be a great hero. He was the only survivor when he and his companions slew the dragon Lephistorix, but what a tale it was to tell! With the loss of his comrades, Taeron turned toward home to rejoin his people and regale them with the tales he had collected from across the world. But on his return, he found his people in chains, enslaved by a cruel warlord. With no allies to call upon, Taeron turned to Trithereon, god of liberty to aid him in freeing his people. Taeron no longer walks alone - backed by Trithereon's power, he calls forth allies from the heavens to smite his foes and help him free his people

Gameplay: Since War Chanter's powers are all about buffing allies, the rest of the build is all about bringing friends to the party. Divine Crusader with the summoner domain grants access to gate, greater planar ally, and various summon monster spells to add allies, who then recieve the benefits of Augment Summoning, Augment Elemental, Beckon the Frozen, and Taeron's various bardic/chanter musics. Feats and items improve his inspire courage ability, but inspire recklessness is key in keeping lower CR summons relevant - summoned mobs dropping their AC hardly matters, and the attack bonus is crucial. Taeron's various crusader abilities further buff his allies, making his targets easier to attack. Taeron himself is a capable frontline combatant, wearing heavy armor and benefiting from some of his own effects as well.

This build represents Taeron as a member of his adventuring group, prior to starting his personal war.
Taeron Storlie
Human
Bard 3/Crusader 2/War Chanter 5
Chaotic Good

HD 3d6+2d10+5d8
HP 79
Base Attack +9
Fort +11
Ref +4
Will +6

Str 16 +3
Dex 10 +0
Con 16 +3
Int 10 +0
Wis 8 -1
Cha 17 +3

Class Features
Bard:
Bardic Music (Inspire Courage +1, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire COmpetance)
Bardic Knowledge
Spells (3/1 per day, 6/3 known)
Crusader:
Steely Resolve 5 (delays 5 damage for 1 round, each round)
Furious Counterstrike (adds 1/5 delayed damage to your attack and damage)
Indomitable Soul (adds Cha bonus to Will saves)
Zealous Surge (1/day reroll any save)
War Chanter:
Inspire Toughness (grants allies +10 temporary hp)
War Chanter Music (war chanter and bard levels stack for music uses per day)
Inspire Recklessness (allies may subtract AC to boost attack bonus)
Combine Songs (may combine any two bardic or war chaner songs)

Bard Spells:
Crabwalk (grants subject additional +2 attack bonus on charge, negates penalty)
Inspirational Boost (swift, increases Inspire Courage bonus by +1)
Targeting Ray (grants allies +1 to hit target, no save, no SR)

Crusader Strikes:
Leading the Attack (allies gain +4 to attack foe you strike)
Vanguard Strike (allies gain +4 to attack foe you strike)
Stone Bones (strike, gain DR 5/adamantine)
Crusader's Strike (strike, heal 1d6+2)
Charging Minotaur (charging bullrush deals damage, ignores AoO)

Crusader Stances:
Iron Guard's Glare (enemies take -4 penalty attacking your allies)
Leading the Charge (allies deal +2 damage on charging attacks)

Feats:
Human Weapon Focus (Spear)
1 Combat Expertise
3 Song of the Heart (increases inspire courage/competence bonus by +1)
6 Song of the White Raven (use inspire courage as swift action when in White raven stance)
9 Augment Summoning (summoned creatures gain +4 Str and Con)

Noteworthy gear:
Harmonizing spear (maintains bardic music for you)
Badge of Valor (increases inspire courage bonus by +1)

This build is Taeron at the height of his power, prepared to crush the last of his foes with an army of conjured allies.
Taeron Storlie
Human
Bard 3/Crusader 2/War Chanter 5/Divine Crusader 10
Chaotic Neutral

HD 3d6+2d10+15d8
HP 152
Base Attack +17
Fort +18
Ref +7
Will +15

Str 16 +3
Dex 10 +0
Con 16 +3
Int 10 +0
Wis 8 -1
Cha 20 +5

Class Features
Bard:
Bardic Music (Inspire Courage +1, Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire COmpetance)
Bardic Knowledge
Spells (3/1 per day, 6/3 known)
Crusader:
Steely Resolve 5 (delays 5 damage for 1 round, each round)
Furious Counterstrike (adds 1/5 delayed damage to your attack and damage)
Indomitable Soul (adds Cha bonus to Will saves)
Zealous Surge (1/day reroll any save)
War Chanter:
Inspire Toughness (grants allies +10 temporary hp)
War Chanter Music (war chanter and bard levels stack for music uses per day)
Inspire Recklessness (allies may subtract AC to boost attack bonus)
Combine Songs (may combine any two bardic or war chaner songs)
Divine Crusader:
Aura (as per cleric aura)
Domain (Summoner)
Spells per Day (3/3/3/3/3/3/2/2/1, CL 10)
1 Summon Monster I
2 Summon Monster II
3 Summon Monster III
4 Lesser Planar Ally
5 Summon Monster V
6 Planar Ally
7 Summon Monster VII
8 Greater Planar Ally
9 Gate
Resistance to acid and electricity 10
Weapon Specialization
Darkvision
Perfect Self (type becomes native outsider, DR 10/magic)

Bard Spells:
Crabwalk (grants subject additional +2 attack bonus on charge, negates penalty)
Inspirational Boost (swift, increases Inspire Courage bonus by +1)
Targeting Ray (grants allies +1 to hit target, no save, no SR)

Crusader Strikes:
Leading the Attack (allies gain +4 to attack foe you strike)
Vanguard Strike (allies gain +4 to attack foe you strike)
Stone Bones (strike, gain DR 5/adamantine)
Crusader's Strike (strike, heal 1d6+2)
Charging Minotaur (charging bullrush deals damage, ignores AoO)

Crusader Stances:
Iron Guard's Glare (enemies take -4 penalty attacking your allies)
Leading the Charge (allies deal +2 damage on charging attacks)

Feats:
Human Weapon Focus (Spear)
1 Combat Expertise
3 Song of the Heart (increases inspire courage/competence bonus by +1)
6 Song of the White Raven (use inspire courage as swift action when in White raven stance)
9 Augment Summoning (summoned creatures gain +4 Str and Con)
12 Rapid Casting (speeds casting of summoning spells)
15 Augment Elemental (summoned elementals get +2 to attack and damage, +2 hp/hd)
18 Beckon the Frozen (summons gain cold subtype and deal +1d6 cold damage with natural attacks)

Noteworthy gear:
Harmonizing spear (maintains bardic music for you)
Badge of Valor (increases inspire courage bonus by +1)
Rod of Lesser Still Metamagic (allows bard spells to be cast in heavy armor)

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 05:25 AM
That's the lot of them! Get judging!

Ingus
2010-05-28, 05:36 AM
Wasn't it a low contestant challenge? :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2010-05-28, 05:47 AM
Wasn't it a low contestant challenge? :smallbiggrin:
People were less vocal about their participation than with Stonelord, it seemed. I put that down to 'misery loves company;' Stonelord was so bad that everyone had to vent about the trouble they were having.

Heliomance
2010-05-28, 07:24 AM
It was a low contestant challenge on Monday. Then I found 5 PMs in my inbox when I checked it today.

Grynning
2010-05-28, 07:49 AM
Helio: the contestant's name is still in the build for "Canarius." May want to get to that before the other judges wake up.

My scores should be up later today. I'm too tired to do them right now, I'm only awake this early on my weekend because I'm sick :smallyuk:

Ingus
2010-05-28, 07:51 AM
It was a low contestant challenge on Monday. Then I found 5 PMs in my inbox when I checked it today.

Glad to see that. Some of the builds I've read are really good and a couple also very catching. Besides, this time Akal has a couple of major opponents (I guess I know which is his entry... but ssst! keep mouth shut).

@Amphetryon: this time wasn't very difficult to entry the class, nor to keep it efficient. The difficult thing, IMO, was to keep Warchanter crucial and don't go Bard 10 Warchanter 10

Delta
2010-05-28, 08:00 AM
Wow, some great stuff in there, makes me wanna play a Warchanter if I ever get to play 3.5 again :smallbiggrin:

9mm
2010-05-28, 08:45 AM
*whistles*
Some mighty fine entries; makes me sad I'm to busy to judge right now.

SaintRidley
2010-05-28, 09:32 AM
At least I know no one else tried what I was intending to try.

If I had finished, I'd have brought Dirgesinger in and tried to pull a War Chanter leading the undead.

Amphetryon
2010-05-28, 10:05 AM

If I had finished, I'd have brought Dirgesinger in and tried to pull a War Chanter leading the undead.

I looked at that, but needed 23 levels to get it to do what I wanted, with Leadership and its kin banned.

SaintRidley
2010-05-28, 10:13 AM
I was banking on the character story I was working on providing it. Town besieged by undead, the character's part of the garrison. Eventually gets dispatched to try and take out the head of the army or at least work some sort of truce out.

Kill the necromancer in charge, bring him back up, have him reassert control over as many undead as possible, and give command to the war chanter, who now uses them to destroy as many of the still free undead as possible.

Figuring how to best go about that story was one of the sticking points.

the humanity
2010-05-28, 10:51 AM
on Thursday, I had the idea of a Bard/Druid/War Chanter/Shadowdancer/Fochluchan Lyrist but I doubted the RAW would support 13 bardic levels, 14 druid levels, and full War Chanter abilities.

that demonologist build pulled off my aim with it far better though! good job!

Togo
2010-05-28, 12:22 PM
I had a lot of ideas, but mostly they didn't work.

I wanted to try a half-ogre warhulk. One of the big disadvantages of war hulk is that you don't get any BAB, but inspire legion fills that in quite nicely.

Unfortunately one of the more minor disadvantages is that you can't use the perform skill... hey ho.

arguskos
2010-05-28, 12:24 PM
Nice, entries are up. I'll get to judging later today probably. I'm tired as crap and have stuff to do right now, so yeah.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-28, 01:59 PM
So, yeah...

Interestingly enough, I was considering something along that line earlier. It's an interesting idea at least.

It's good to see so many entries.

Cieyrin
2010-05-28, 02:28 PM
I should have my judging up by tomorrow, for time is limited and I don't have access to the majority of my books ATM.

Akal Saris
2010-05-28, 02:58 PM
Hey, I just had a crazy build idea!

CE Silverbrow Human Bard 1/Marshal 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/crusader 1/Master of Shrouds 6/Warchanter 10

Summon 4 shadows each time with master of shrouds' summoning ability.

1d6 base strength damage
+2 dmg from MoS' enhanced summoning
+4 dmg from draconic aura feat
+10 dmg when charging from marshal aura
+10 dmg when charging from crusader stance
+2 dmg from inspire legion
+4 dmg from inspire courage with dirgesinger (using item and feat and drums for +1 each)
= 1d6+32 Strength damage per hit from your 4 undead minions, at +40 to hit touch AC (+20 from inspire recklessness, +20 BAB), doable about 13/day easily.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 03:20 PM
Ummm just because you don't do normal damage doesn't mean you can use damae boosters to increase attribute damage.

Akal Saris
2010-05-28, 03:35 PM
Ummm just because you don't do normal damage doesn't mean you can use damae boosters to increase attribute damage.

As I see it, there's 3 ways to rule it: either it does more damage of the same type as the initial damage (Including ability dmg, as spells with point blank shot and sneak attack in Complete Arcane do), or it deals the additional damage as untyped or negative energy damage (like a sneak attack enervation does), or it doesn't gain any bonus damage.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-28, 05:07 PM
And how that entries have been officially submitted, I present my two ideas which never quite worked out...

The first one was your typical Bardblade/Warchanter Bard3/Warblade7/Warchanter 10. With Song of the Legion, it's effectively Divine Power to everyone. That's pretty damn spiffy. Then you pick up Badge/etc... to end up with a +6 Inspire Courage. From there, DFI.

I'd have figured a DFI Bardblade would have been much too common fare for the refined palates of our current judges, but Aerosmith Claudius Def Caesar was the first thing that came to mind (work out those initials)

The next one would have been The Reanimator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnOUOkcr9c). Dread Necro 8/Bard2/Warchanter 10.

Friends, he's got friends. LOTS of friends. And they hit pretty damn hard, too. With the Requiem from Libris Mortis, he is able to affect Undead with his Bardic Music. Undead's biggest weakness, other than being Turned, is the lousy BAB. Enter Inspire Legion to ramp up every undead's BAB to his. Unfortunately... Inspire Legion is a War Chanter music, not a Bardic Music, so you cannot apply Requiem to it.

An alternate to the Reanimator would have been Warlock6/Bard4/Warchanter 10 using The Dead Walk as a method of getting cheap mooks to buff up quickly. However, the HD limitation was absolutely crippling, so I eventually went in favor of Dread Necro. As it stands, the entire concept flopped due to a rules SNAFU.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 05:09 PM
I think I'd rule two but, I wouldn't argue with option three. I'm pretty sure option 1 goes against RAW and RAI.

Amphetryon
2010-05-28, 05:17 PM
I considered a Cloistered Cleric 1/Dread Necro 5/Prestige Bard 1/War Chanter 10/Master of Shrouds 4 at one point.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 05:42 PM
Morale effects work on undead unless their mindless.

Private-Prinny
2010-05-28, 07:18 PM
O_o Is it just me, or are there even more entries this time?

I'll probably edit this post with my scores later, since these are some great builds to take in.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-28, 07:45 PM

Morale effects are explicitly Mind-Affecting and thus do not affect Undead unless you have the proper feat to allow Bardic Music to work on them via Libris Mortis.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 08:25 PM
Not according to the back of the phb.

PhB-a bonus representing the effects of hope, courage, and determination. Multipl morale bonuses do not stack. Only the highest morale bonus applies. Nonintelligent creatures (creatures with an Intelligence of 0 or no intelligence at all) cannot benefit from morale bonuses.

Not mind effecting. Bardic Music itself also does not mention mind effecting either. Therefore morale bonuses effect intelligent undead and warchanters abilities of inspire toughness and inspire legion which are neither morale or mindeffecting work on mindless undead and inspire recklessness works on intelligent undead.

Dirgesinger allows you mind effecting abilities of fascinate and suggestion work on undead and allows your morale effects to work on mindless undead. I know it seems wierd but, that is how it works.

Amphetryon
2010-05-28, 08:46 PM
Nonintelligent creatures (creatures with an Intelligence of 0 or no intelligence at all) cannot benefit from morale bonuses.Mindless Undead fit this category. I fail to see how this disproves Shneekey's point.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-28, 08:56 PM
Well I'm pretty sure he was countering this statement I made.

And my above statement explains why he's mistaken if he was neh saying my first statment.

All undead's immunity to mind effecting and mindless undead's immunity to some effects largely overlap but they are two seperate abilities meaning morale effects work on intelligent undead.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-28, 09:24 PM
Well I'm pretty sure he was countering this statement I made.

And my above statement explains why he's mistaken if he was neh saying my first statment.

All undead's immunity to mind effecting and mindless undead's immunity to some effects largely overlap but they are two seperate abilities meaning morale effects work on intelligent undead.

The problem is when every bardic music effect ends in this little tag:

Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.

which kinda puts a damper on things

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-29, 10:25 AM
Huh, you're right. Damn, Heliomance please pull my build, it is based on missread rules on my part and I hate seeing illegal builds entered.

Akal Saris
2010-05-29, 01:34 PM
Actually, countersong isn't a mind-affecting ability. Neither is mimicking song from Dungeonscape. So there's precedence for some bardic music not being mind-affecting.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-29, 04:05 PM
Ya, I read through bardic music itself twice I missed the mind affecting on inspire courage. Also some of Warchanter isn't mind effecting.

Cieyrin
2010-05-30, 04:40 PM
First Judge in! :smallbiggrin:

Before I start, I must say I enjoyed reading the entries, as the fluff was well presented. Some faux pas were present, as I'll point out in the scores, but all in all, the entries were generally fun.

Now, for the scores!

Malaermus
Power: 3 - Skirmisher type with bardic music and war chants. Slow to increase in power, especially with all the dips. Knowledge Devotion and Song of the White Raven come in late, where they're not that useful in increasing your staying power, especially since the Song won't increase your Inpire Courage bonus with the levels you have in and only makes Inspire Courage faster to activate, not all Bardic and War Chants.
Originality: 2 - Insightful Strike + Elegant Strike are an easy and recognized combo, plus throwing in maneuvers makes nothing really wowing here.
Elegance: 2 - Doesn't actually qualify for Champion of Corellon (no heavy armor proficiency), very diptastic between getting enough Swash and Champion for extra damage to attacks and warblade at the levels you increase in initiator level to get at goodies. You also suffer Multiclass XP penalties from the single level of Warblade till you grab your 2nd at 12th, which would seriously impact keeping up with the rest of the party.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - All 10 levels are in but it seems rather like they're in there for the express reason of qualifying for the contest, not to really stand on their own. Especially as you only have 3 levels from single digits and then finish it out at 13th and later.

Final Score: Composite 2.25 Total 9

Human Crusader
Power: 2 - Can't really tell actual power, given no real explanation of how this should work. Song of the White Raven and Words of Creation seem to be used together well with Dragonfire Inspiration, though listing which Dragon Heritage you draw from for the sonic damage would be nice. I assume Battle. Maneuvers are all party buffing, so you can kinda aid them...
Originality: 2 - Hurray, another ToBattler with War Chanter in there because you need it for the contest.
Elegance: 2 - From what I can tell, everything seems to work together, though actually explaining what you're using Able Learner for would have been nice, as no skill listings tells me it may have been unnecessary for all I know. Words of Creation came in late and seems to be there just for the buffing.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3 - Again, all 10 levels. Seem to be thrown in to qualify for the contest, can't really tell what you're using them for, though.

Final score: Composite 2.25 Total 9

The Green Knight
Power: 4 - Strong synergy between the companions and War Chants makes for some nice power for handling many opponents, though casters would still seem to be an issue.
Originality: 5 - Did not expect a Harmonious Paladin of Freedom/Beast Heart Adept for this, plus the story that went with it was quite good, even if it was a retelling of a classic tale. Character themed to the tale without sacrificing too much in power was also well appreciated.
Elegance: 4 - Works together fairly well, though there are a couple faux pas, such as Holy Warrior not actually able to grant Domain feats, since they're not actually Divine by RAW. Power Attack at that point instead could have been gained then and helped with damage output early on. Combat tactics are a bit off in how they work, given both Devotions are Immediates, which eat up your Swift next round, as well as you only have 1 Swift per round, making activating both not possible in a single round. That also nixes Belting for more actions in the round after activating either Devotion. The activating of various chants beyond Combine Songs is a little circumspect, as when you activate a new set, you stop singing the original set and Inspire Legion seems like it ends immediately after you switch, since it doesn't have the 'and for 5 rounds thereafter' section.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 4 - All 10 levels are present and examples of how they're to be used with your companions are excellent. Also got in early on and used abilities to good effect from the get-go.

Final Score: Composite 4.25 Total 17

Jason
Power: 3 - Casters are typically fairly strong by default, as well as the summoning of minions to be supported by War Chanter was decent. Not having access to BoVD for Demonologist limits me in how strong the class is makes it difficult to otherwise gauge power but seems right on.
Originality: 5 - Conjurer/Demonologist/Mythic Exemplar into Warchanter? What? Where'd that come from?
Elegance: 4 - Mythic Exemplar, even as explained in story, is kinda forced to get Bardic Music, as they don't seem to thematically fit with Demonologist, from how it was explained and as explitedly mentioned by the creator. Otherwise fairly well put together, though Fiendish Heritage and Legacy seem like you had no idea what to put at the end that would work better.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3 - 10 levels, though acquired fairly late game, which is outside the scope of some campaigns. While the whole Conjurer/Demonologist thing is quite unique, going Warchanter to qualify for the contest seems to hurt your casting ability more than it helps you with abilities, considering goodies like Inspire Legion and Recklessness come in when you're already faltering and/or not really competing with other characters.

Final Score: Composite 3.75 Total 15

Voice of Sebekh
Power: 2 - Attempting to singularly buff a possessee is interesting but fails when a single note about Fiend of Possession and Silent Spell makes most of what you claim you can do not at all possible.
Originality: 4.5 - Bladeling Divine Minion Fiend of Possession? This'd be a 5 but you got the idea from elsewhere, which by default makes it not original.
Elegance: 2 - Bladeling for the low LA and then Divine Minioning so you're no longer Lawful and now Evil to get into both War Chanter and Fiend of Possession is kinda bending things and admittedly pretty cheesy and probably wouldn't fly in a number of campaigns. Silent Spell can't be used with Bard spells and the text of Possess Object says you can't speak, so no Chanting or singing. If you had telepathy, you could have a reasonable method of getting away with the chants and singing but you don't unless you're possessing the creature, which you can't achieve till the 4th level of Fiend of Possession, which is a long time to wait.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - 7 levels taken, which you acquire at the end of the build at ECL 14+, which, when combined with the above faux pas, doesn't help much, honestly.

Final Score: Composite 2.625 Total 10.5

Old Yeller
Power: 3 - Hmm, a bardarian charger without the barbarian. Interesting...
Originality: 4 - Duskblade/Prestige Bard is different, certainly.
Elegance: 3 - Dipping Rogue for skills and never looking back isn't exactly great but the rest of it looks pretty decent, especially since you didn't ditch Prestige Bard later on.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3 - Hurray for 10 levels, though it seems like it's just standard bard fair after that. Yawn.

Final Score: Composite 3.25 Total 13

Canarius
Power: 3 - Light infantry combat manuever bot with buffery for one and all, gotcha.
Originality: 3 - Haven't seen a bard/marshall yet but still fairly common, especially with the fighter dips for feats. I must say I liked the LG background, though.
Elegance: 4 - Fighter dips for feats was the only thing off I saw and Holy Liberator fits the theme fairly well, if not the power.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 4 - All 10 levels, acquired early and demonstrated their usage and combined with Marshall powers for the greater good.

Final Score: Composite 3.5 Total 14

Miryam
Power: 3 - Undead Minionmancer that still somewhat works, despite flaws, given only Inspire Recklessness and Inspire Courage don't work on undead.
Originality: 3 - Bardblade is way common, though the Undead minions were unique. I loved the Purple Worm mount, that's hilarious. Fell Animate Bone Fiddle is also a nice touch.
Elegance: 3 - Works fairly well together, though the no morale bonii to Undead hurts quite a bit. You used Libris Mortis quite a bit, so it surprises me you missed Requiem for remedying that problem. The constant useage of a non-mithral breastplate also hurts the casting you do, since you only ignore Light Armor, not Medium, at least not without Battle Caster. 25% Arcane Failure is pretty hefty.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 4 - 10 levels and description of how you applied them in combination of Bard and White Raven manuevers makes it work well, despite the undead and morale effect issues.

Taeron
Power: 3 - Summoning in mooks plus songs and war chants makes for a powerful minionmancer, though a fairly late game one, especially as Planar Allies and Gates come online.
Originality: 4 - Bard/Crusader is again common, though Divine Champion is an interesting twist. Tritherion was a natural choice and was fairly interesting.
Elegance: 4 - Most of it comes together well, but a lack of Spell Focus(Conjuration) means you don't qualify for either Augment Summoning or Beckon the Frozen. I also can't find Rapid Casting, for which I can only assume you meant the Rapid Spell metamagic or the Rapid Metamagic feat, which doesn't make much sense, honestly.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - Only 5 levels and not much of a focus for the character, as it's primarily in summoning minions and buffing them. Further notes on how you utilize your various abilities would have helped.

Again, good entries. I look forward to the next Iron Chef. :smallsmile:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-30, 07:07 PM
Ya, Miryam is my build I asked helimance to take it down because I made a mistake. All judges please either don't rate her or pretend she has requim in place of combat reflexes.

Heliomance
2010-05-30, 07:23 PM
Bad Hand_of_Vecna! No revealing youself!
Miryam's fine, and quite a lot of the songs work as-is. There's only a couple called out as mind-affecting.

arguskos
2010-05-30, 08:20 PM
Ok, ok, ok! Time for some judging up in here!

Again, my boilerplate disclaimer: anything said below is a reflection of my personal opinion towards the work presented for my viewing, nothing more. I make no judgments about the presenter, as the level of effort expended to create something for this is absolutely marvelous. Well done, everyone.

General Malaermus
Power: 3.5 Cant' imagine it's a WEAK character, what with good placement of levels, good abilities, full and intelligent use of War Chanter
Originality: 3 It's a Bardblade, right up there with Bardbarian as a melee critter. It's good mechanically, though, the build leaves a bit to be desired, something more peppy. Your story was absolutely FABULOUS though, and you deserve quite a bit of praise for it.
Elegance: 2.5 You take levels in a disjointed fashion, and while that's all the rage in op (for good reason too), I don't like seeing it.
Use of War Chanter: 4. This is a strong and solid use of Inspire Legion and clever to boot. I like it.

Total: 3.25. It's a fine build, quite solid overall. Not as zesty as I was hoping, but, a quite fine character, one I'd be happy to play as or DM for. Good job.

Human Crusader
Power: 4 It's powerful, what with severe Dragonfire Inspiration abuse and Words of Creation and all that. Looks fine on that front.
Originality: 1.5 Really? You already HAVE Inspire Legion, why bring DFI and Words of Creation to the party as well? You could have done so much more, and the lack of any fluff at all! Ugh, depressing, flat out.
Elegance: 2.5 Well, it all plays well together, but I question the Elegance of using a well-known flagrant abuse such as Words of Creation.
Use of War Chanter: 2.5 There is nothing here to suggest you've got any allies at all, which makes me question why War Chanter is here in the first place, and though you use DFI and Inspire Legion fine, it just makes me feel like this was something unnecessary.

Total: 2.625. It's... ugh. You didn't seem to put much effort into giving us something unique or interesting, just threw War Chanter into a DFI build and handed it to me. It's competent, but, well, think of it this way. It's like going to a fine restaurant, and seeing they have grilled cheese on the menu, so, thinking it's going to be nice and fancy, you order it. It turns out that it's literally two slices of Wonder Bread and some American cheese. Yes, it's technically what I ordered and yes it tastes alright, but dammit, I'm at a fine restaurant, give me something nicer! :smallwink:

The Green Knight
Power: 4 It all seems to flow quite nicely together, a good build, strong tactics, clever (and amusing) use of Gambit, I like it.
Originality: 4 I was expecting to see Beast Heart Adept actually, it occurred to me that it was a fine way of getting companions for War Chanter. I was not expecting to see Paladin, great use of Harmonious Knight there.
Elegance: 5 It just flows together excellently, there's not a level or a feat or a skill point wasted, everything is seamless and just perfect on every level. The flavor is on, the story is good, it all just WORKS, and I'm impressed. This is one of the single best character designs I've ever seen, and I'm honored to be judging it.
Use of War Chanter: 4.5 Your use of multiple companions from every source, the story of the character, the way you work it into every aspect of the character, it says to me "here is a man who's not afraid to sing songs and kick some ass" and I'm impressed.

Total: 4.375 It's great, just great. One of the best entries I've seen yet.

Jason the Hellcaller
Power: 3.5 I like the angle taken, a more serious approach to minionmancing than the other presented toys. It's fun and well done, though, his power is hurt by his demons being... weakish.
Originality: 3.5 Again, the creative use of minionmancery and the hilarity of Mythic Exemplar mean this is pretty unique and unexpected. Still, you ARE minionmancing, which was expected.
Elegance: 4 It's smooth and slick. Everything fits nicely, though not ideally. I like it.
Use of War Chanter: 4 This is a solid, if not insanely exceptional, use of War Chanter.

Total: 3.75. This is a solid character, a good villain for mid-range power levels. Has a few creative tricks, but plays it safe in general. I'm actually interested to play around with the concept personally, maybe adapt it to lower levels or change some things, make my own version, which means it's a success in my eyes.

Sebekh's Voice
Power: 3ish(?) It's realllllly hard to judge. The character doesn't seem to DO anything personally, thanks to Fiend of Possession. I'd guess it's pretty solid, but honestly, I can't tell.
Originality: 5 I... was not expecting to see a Fiend of Possession Bladeling. :smalleek: At all.
Elegance: 2 You used Divine Minion, which I HATE. Divine Minion is one of the most breakable templates in the game, and gave rise to the all-hated Pun-Pun. It's useful here, but, it is also auto-banned from many many groups I know because of it's abusability.
Use of War Chanter: 2.5 I honestly don't think this is an ideal use of War Chanter. Sure, you can use it to give your "host" benefits, but you only take 7 levels, and it doesn't seem to be that useful (why not more Bard after all and do DFI if that's how you're rolling).

Total: 3.125 Well, it's unique if nothing else, and totally unexpected. I approve on that basis alone. It uses Bladeling (many DMs dislike/ban monster PCs), Divine Minion (ditto here), and Fiend of Possession (ditto^2), so for that, it suffers. Still, the originality cannot be overstated. I'd have given you a 6 if I could have.

Old Yeller
Power: 3 Looks mechanically solid, if unexciting. Duskblade into War Chanter is different, if nothing else.
Originality: 4 Uh... yeah, woah, Duskblade? Prestige Bard? That's new.
Elegance: 2 You use Prestige Bard, a variant regarded as somewhat unbalanced (at least you didn't go Bard--> Prestige Bard, which I might have smacked you for), and personally, I think it's somewhat cheap. You could have just done Bard straight up and merely lost a little power, which I would have found much more palatable. It was all for power, and I don't think you gained much, leading me to be a mite bit disappointed.
Use of War Chanter: 3 It's bog-standard "yell and make folks better... but I don't have any folks". Solid, but unimpressive.

Total: 3. It's a solid character. I don't personally like the way it was done, but, it's probably just fine as a PC.

Canarius
Power: 3.5 Seems decently strong, though, he needs minions and has none natively.
Originality: 3.5 I was expecting to see Marshal before now, given how well Marshal auras work with Inspire Recklessness/Legion/Courage/etcetcetc. I also really liked the Suel and Rary backstory, something we don't see a lot of.
Elegance: 3.5 Lots of level jumping, which I dislike, but, it was generally smooth enough.
Use of War Chanter: 3.5 It's an above average use, a good way to work it into every crevasse of the character... but you lack a native mechanism for getting dudes to use it ON, which is a major lack for a Marshal/Bard/War Chanter.

Total: 3.5, look at that. :smalltongue: It's a solid entry, one I actually plotted out personally (Bard-->Marshal-->Full BAB--> War Chanter-->whatever) and expected to see more of. It's a fine character, nothing really more to say about it.

Miryam
Power: 3.5 It's another Bardblade, simpler perhaps, but strong enough nevertheless.
Originality: 3.5 It's a ZOMBIE Bardblade, which is a bit more interesting. However, something I noted, you have VERY VERY few ways to actually get undead and control them, which confused me somewhat. Here we have an undead minionmancer... who can't really acquire or control their zombies? That's different. The story really sold me though, thus the 3.5.
Elegance: 3 Just the concept is good, the build is simple and direct, but the lack of control just confuses me. How does she control and create her zombies? Just Fell Animated Bonefiddle? That's bizarre.
Use of War Chanter: ??? Honestly, I want to say 4, because it's creative and clever, but I can't judge it all that well because of the control issues I'm seeing. I've scored it as a 3 for fairness' sake.

Total: 3.25 Look at that, it's a character. Really, that's all I can say. It's competent, if unexceptional. The concept is good, though I feel there must have been a better way to do War Chanting zombies.

Taeron
Power: 3.5 Well, you make a lot of dudes, and you buff those dudes. It's a good enough plan for me.
Originality: 4 It's rare I see Divine Crusader trotted out for any damn thing. I'm impressed, especially because of your choice of domain. It's a clever trick, one I didn't think of, and fits well.
Elegance: 3 The character seems to have a clear and obvious shift away from chanting and whatnot, which doesn't look good on the sheet. It's alright mechanically, but it's not as pretty as I'd like. Given what you did though, it works ok.
Use of War Chanter: 3 I want to score this higher, I really do. It's a creative build, makes good use of Inspire Whatever, but, you only took 5 levels. There's only 2 out of NINE builds here that didn't take all 10 levels. Though I love the concept, you didn't use enough War Chanter for a better score.

Total: 3.375. I liked it. I wanted to score it better, but the whole "5 levels of Chanter" thing hurt you a lot, as did the fact that it didn't seem to flow well together. Still, I liked it.

Personal Favorite of the Cooking: The Green Knight. Excellent work on that one.

woodenbandman
2010-05-30, 08:32 PM
I already know how to win this. I'm in.

EDIT: damn.

Heliomance
2010-05-30, 08:42 PM
I already know how to win this. I'm in.

EDIT: damn.

I'm impressed. How did you not see this thread a week ago?

Ozymandias9
2010-05-30, 10:30 PM
SCORES! Hooray!

I'd considered that one. The one target limitation of Dirgesinger's capstone means you're only really looking at one undead minion of note: everything else will end up as low level zombies and skeletons. What the build really needs is some way to artificially boost undead creation (the bar I would, personally, measure against here is a reasonable equivalence to the power level of Create Undead).

I couldn't personally find a way to work that in with more than 5 in warchanter, but my undead-fu is weak.

Amphetryon
2010-05-31, 04:44 AM
SCORES! Hooray!

I'd considered that one. The one target limitation of Dirgesinger's capstone means you're only really looking at one undead minion of note: everything else will end up as low level zombies and skeletons. What the build really needs is some way to artificially boost undead creation (the bar I would, personally, measure against here is a reasonable equivalence to the power level of Create Undead).

I couldn't personally find a way to work that in with more than 5 in warchanter, but my undead-fu is weak.
It seems to me the best use there is with the variant Necromancer that gains an Undead Minion, but it largely wastes the potential to influence others in the party.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-31, 06:05 AM
SCORES! Hooray!

Dread Necro 8 with Corpsecrafter feats going into Bard2 and Warchanter10 would have worked well with Requiem to allow IC to work on undead minions. Dread Necro creates some pretty beefy undead minions, and Corpsecrafter to make them even nastier. UMD a wand for Divine Power, then share the love with your minions...

arguskos
2010-05-31, 11:08 AM
Dread Necro 8 with Corpsecrafter feats going into Bard2 and Warchanter10 would have worked well with Requiem to allow IC to work on undead minions. Dread Necro creates some pretty beefy undead minions, and Corpsecrafter to make them even nastier. UMD a wand for Divine Power, then share the love with your minions...
This. This is what Miryam should have been. It would have been glorious and totally totally awesome.

SaintRidley
2010-05-31, 11:28 AM
SCORES! Hooray!

Yeah. I figured track down necromancers, kill them, bring them back, and have them give control of their horde to you.

Only way without Undead leadership that I could figure to make it work. OR Dread Necro, but I wanted to stick to being bardy.

Amphetryon
2010-05-31, 11:35 AM
Since we've all posted builds and are just awaiting the judging now, I'll ask:

I thought I remembered a Ranger variant that got Bardic music, or at least faux Bardic music, but couldn't find it in any of my books.

Am I crazy, or is this variant around someplace?

Heliomance
2010-05-31, 03:10 PM

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Amphetryon
2010-05-31, 03:33 PM
The two are not mutually exclusive.:smalltongue: ha ha ha.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-31, 07:10 PM
Since we've all posted builds and are just awaiting the judging now, I'll ask:

I thought I remembered a Ranger variant that got Bardic music, or at least faux Bardic music, but couldn't find it in any of my books.

I don't know of any such variant. On the topic, does anyone know of a feat that can convert a use of Bardic music to a turn/rebuke attempt (or the reverse)?

Amphetryon
2010-06-01, 04:36 PM
bump.

3 more judges yet to weigh in.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-01, 07:20 PM
I'm still volunteering as substitute for those that don't.

Cieyrin
2010-06-01, 11:21 PM
I'm still volunteering as substitute for those that don't.

Why not weigh in anyways and if the other 3 show, we ignore your scores? I know Amphetryon is dying to see more scores. :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2010-06-02, 06:30 AM
Why not weigh in anyways and if the other 3 show, we ignore your scores? I know Amphetryon is dying to see more scores. :smalltongue:

I'm not dying; it's just a flesh wound. :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2010-06-03, 07:06 AM
Daily bump waiting for the remaining judges. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-06-03, 11:52 AM
Daily bump waiting for the remaining judges. :smallsmile:
Perhaps you should PM them?

Amphetryon
2010-06-03, 11:54 AM
Perhaps you should PM them?

As I understand the rules on thread necromancy, once the thread falls off page 3 and hasn't been responded to within the last day or two, PMing the judges would not be sufficient to allow them to post their scores without creating a new thread.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-03, 11:55 AM
AFAIK it is only thread necromancy when it falls from the 3rd page AND it is more than 2 months old.

arguskos
2010-06-03, 12:02 PM
As I understand the rules on thread necromancy, once the thread falls off page 3 and hasn't been responded to within the last day or two, PMing the judges would not be sufficient to allow them to post their scores without creating a new thread.
Maybe they haven't noticed the thread or forgot about it. PM them ANYWAYS, just to get their attention. :smalltongue:

Private-Prinny
2010-06-03, 06:08 PM
If Vorpal wants to take my seat, he can. I don't think I can submit a judging on this one.

Ingus
2010-06-03, 06:38 PM
If Vorpal wants to take my seat, he can. I don't think I can submit a judging on this one.

Use Vorpal to undo the Gordian Knot :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-03, 06:58 PM
I take up thy gauntlet.

Looking them over now. I haven't read this thread or seen the entries yet so no chance of bias. Can I presume there is a tie or something at this point?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-03, 07:38 PM
Ok, question, is it not a fact that bardic/war chanter music that changes moods and grants morale bonuses and the like are by necessity mind-affecting?

Edit: Looking up some stuff proved it.

Cieyrin
2010-06-03, 08:29 PM
Ok, question, is it not a fact that bardic/war chanter music that changes moods and grants morale bonuses and the like are by necessity mind-affecting?

Edit: Looking up some stuff proved it.

Morale bonuses are mind affecting and that's only really one War Chant (Inspire Recklessness).

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-03, 10:27 PM
Mmm, hmm. Well, will finish this in the morning. Still got 3 to go over.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-03, 11:26 PM
Morale bonuses are mind affecting and that's only really one War Chant (Inspire Recklessness).

Inspire Courage, and most of the Bardic Music that buffs as well.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 09:39 AM
Here we go. After looking at the other judges it appears I've been a bit more brutal than they, but I stand by the votes.

There were portions of entries I liked very much, and at least a couple that really grabbed me, though all those I voted on I thought well done. Not to spoil that note, but very few of these in my opinion seemed to use War Chanter as the mainstay of the build.

Malaermus

Power: 3.25 - A good, strong build, though nothing particularly heroic that isn't expected from use of the PrC.
Originality: 2 - Though always interesting, a singing elven warrior isn't original, and war chanter/tome of battle is a prevalent choice amidst this contest.
Elegance: 4 - As much as it's unoriginal it is in turn elegant in the combination of all together and flows with the natural concept of elves and their mode of battle.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3.75 - The ingredient works very well all told, though don't get much feel of it as necessary for the build.

Total: 3.25 - A nice addition to any campaign, and I can definitely see someone playing him, though nothing in particular grabs me.

-=-=-=-=-

Human Crusader
I've declined to judge this entry as it is incomplete.

-=-=-=-=-

The Green Knight

Power: 4.75 - This fellow is a BEAST and probably the best optimized of the bunch.
Originality:3.75 - Though it was inspired by another source, the use of classes and abilities to interpret said source is very inventive.
Elegance: 3.25 - Everything works very well, but not quite sure it all fits with the fluff per se. He's obviously a very vocal fellow, but not sure where his voice really applies to original or adapted story.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - I don't see where War Chanter really needs to come into this build at all. Its a flavorful addition but like most of the builds it seems like it's just there because of the contest.

Total: 3.43 - I love the flavor and use of this fellow, but I'm also hesitant to give my full favor to it due to it being based on an existing legend.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Jason the Hellspeaker

Power: 3.25 - Decently strong build, though because of the dependence on evil outsiders can also be thwarted by abilities specifically made to block.
Originality: 3.5 - The build without bard to gain the prerequisites is very resourceful, even if bardic demon summoners isn't a new idea.
Elegance: 3.25 - It seems just a touch contrived, but everything fits together nice and neat and has a realistic feel.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2.75 - War Chanter works well, though isn't necessary for the build. If War Chanter hadn't been the prerequisite I'd doubt it'd have been chosen to complete the last levels.

Total: 3.18 - An interesting, inventive entry that I think works better as an NPC than a PC as it seems to be made for solely for a single use instead of long-term play.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Sebekh's Voice

Power: 3 - The power available to The Voice is difficult to gauge conventionally. It seems quite powerful, as long as it can grab someone, but otherwise, maybe not so much. Thus I awarded it a halfway score.
Originality: 4.75 - This is an incredibly flavorful and well-written piece of work that I doubt has ever been done before and would never have crossed my mind.
Elegance: 3 - I was going to make this higher, as everything works beautifully with each other. However, I took away a point because technically a Bladeling does not have the evil subtype and thus couldn't actually take the Fiend of Possession PrC.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 4 - It works very, very well with everything else in the build.

Total: 3.7 - There is nothing in this build that isn't flavorful, thoughtful and inventive. I'd like to use him sometime in the future for a game.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Old Yeller

Power: 2 - Just not much here in the build that shouts 'powerful', nothing that stands out as optimized.
Originality: 2.5 - I'd normally give higher for an unusual build, but it's unusual here in that why use a duskblade?
Elegance: 1.5 - The build doesn't seem to match up that well at all with its component pieces. Duskblade/rogue + P. Bard/War Chanter. It's like two different people spliced together.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 1.5 - It's used, but just not sure why.

Total: 1.87 - This seems somewhat a warm but haphazardly made patchwork quilt. It's usable but not particularly useful. I know some of the nuances to these builds can better be explained through the story, but just wasn't enough background to aid in that regard.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Canarius aka ‘Canary’

Power: 3.5 - This fellow's particular mix seems to be of considerable power, and his trip and disarm are very handy.
Originality: 4 - The concept aids greatly to this score. It scours the concept of the savage but instead harks back to times of simple values and ties to family. Holy Liberator isn't wholly unexpected, being a fighting class with abilities that affects others
Elegance: 3 - Everything seems to mesh reasonably well, story and the various classes.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 3.25 - The PrC is the main component of the build and draws everything together though doesn't stand out as such.

Total: 3.4 - An agreeable build and story that is of high class in all it's facets with nothing really giving it a huge boost up or down.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Miryam Ziv Pantheras

Power: 2.5 - Bard/Warchanter allows for the boosting of allies, but the problem with this is her allies, the undead, are mainly immune to most of musical abilities. Of all her granted abilities only Singing Shout appears to be able to affect the undead. This problem could have been helped with the Requiem feat however.
Originality: 4 - Though the classes used aren't original, it's the details of the build, in the feats and the background that make her something I'd not have expected.
Elegance: 2 - Despite the above, I don't think things go together very well. Bard allows for low-level spells she can use to finish an opponent off, but the build and the story just doesn't really support it. Why is she singing to the undead?
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - War Chanter doesn't seem to particularly add anything to the build.

Total: 2.625 - I readily enjoyed reading the tale, and the concept wasn't bad, just don't see the build/mood here living/matching up to the potential you set her up for.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Taeron Storlie
Power: 3 - Though his main strengths is in gathering those summoned and making them stronger, he himself also appears to be decently powerful, so together he's not a man to trifle with.
Originality: 2.5 - Bardic PrC's gathering others to them is a pretty standard trick. I like how he gathers angelic creatures, but, again, not an unused concept either.
Elegance: 4 - I like how the maneuvers and stances mesh with the bardic music. It flows together seamlessly and preserves the feel of the War Chanter.
Use of the Secret Ingredient: 2 - Though the War Chanter is a necessary piece of this build, it has more of a feel of aiding the Divine Crusader than the other way around.

Total: 2.875 - I hate how low that added up to, because I really had no complaints and thought it a very solid entry. I'd have liked to seen more about how it meshed together in the story, and specific combos he uses in combat though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 01:21 PM
Huh, reading through comments and apparently some of my concerns were already gone through. Ho hum.

arguskos
2010-06-04, 01:46 PM
Huh, reading through comments and apparently some of my concerns were already gone through. Ho hum.
The only thing I disagreed with in your judging was on the Green Knight, where you complained because it was based on an existing legend. Why is this an issue? Some of the best works out there are derivatives of or based on pre-existing legends. There's no shame in that.

Cieyrin
2010-06-04, 01:46 PM

The Requiem bit, certainly.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 01:53 PM
The only thing I disagreed with in your judging was on the Green Knight, where you complained because it was based on an existing legend. Why is this an issue? Some of the best works out there are derivatives of or based on pre-existing legends. There's no shame in that.
Because there is a specific ruling for Originality, so it's supposed to be taken into account. Still got one of the higher Originality scores regardless.

Ozymandias9
2010-06-04, 02:01 PM
Because there is a specific ruling for Originality, so it's supposed to be taken into account. Still got one of the higher Originality scores regardless.

Did you see the part where Sekbet's Voice had the Fiend of Possession/Bladeling idea credited?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 02:08 PM
Did you see the part where Sekbet's Voice had the Fiend of Possession/Bladeling idea credited?
I did. The concept was still original in all other particulars. Race and PrC was the only thing in common. Rest of the levels and details were completely original. I don't even see why a Bladeling and Fiend of Possession really have anything to do with each other though.

Amphetryon
2010-06-04, 02:10 PM
Originality means different things to different people.

Some might consider builds based on myth unoriginal.

Some might consider builds based on popular or widely known spell combos unoriginal.

Some might consider a build that replicates something someone else once showcased on the internet as unoriginal.

Different judges, different opinions.

Ozymandias9
2010-06-04, 02:12 PM
Originality means different things to different people.

Some might consider builds based on myth unoriginal.

Some might consider builds based on popular or widely known spell combos unoriginal.

Some might consider a build that replicates something someone else once showcased on the internet as unoriginal.

Different judges, different opinions.

Indeed, I just like to get a feel of the judges so I know who I'm catering to later.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 02:12 PM
Exactly. I however give them one original rating on build, then another one on story/concept. Or crunch and fluff if you like, and average those out.

Edit:

Indeed, I just like to get a feel of the judges so I know who I'm catering to later.
Good luck trying to figure me out :smallwink:

Heliomance
2010-06-04, 04:38 PM
Think we should call that all the judges and count the scores now?

Ingus
2010-06-05, 07:56 AM
Think we should call that all the judges and count the scores now?

You're in the position to tell. I guess the missing judges will not judge soon (or at all), so maybe this is it.

This time I would like a post results briefing. I've the feeling that, although very well built, much of the entries (mine too) have something missing.
I think it would be useful and funny to propose fixes for the builds (after the results are told), by the other contestants and/or judges (and/or curious readers too).
Do you all mind?

Amphetryon
2010-06-05, 10:33 AM
You're in the position to tell. I guess the missing judges will not judge soon (or at all), so maybe this is it.

This time I would like a post results briefing. I've the feeling that, although very well built, much of the entries (mine too) have something missing.
I think it would be useful and funny to propose fixes for the builds (after the results are told), by the other contestants and/or judges (and/or curious readers too).
Do you all mind?
I don't mind at all. I know how I would 'fix' my entry - to borrow the term - already, although it might negatively impact one judge's score while simultaneously improving it with a different judge.

Ingus
2010-06-06, 05:50 AM
I don't mind at all. I know how I would 'fix' my entry - to borrow the term - already, although it might negatively impact one judge's score while simultaneously improving it with a different judge.

To me, the fun part is building up. The judgement is an important counterproof but it is not overimportant to me. As you can see and as you have already pointed out, everyone (so judges too) has a different point of view, so satisfying all of them is impossibile.
The point is I feel my entry could be better and a couple of other ones too. Since there were really good ideas, I feel it would be a shame just say "the winner is X, Y is the second, congrats to everyone, now open Iron Chef VI".
We can, sure, do this, not saying to stop.
But in my opinion we can also debate and improve all together some entry. See it like the third half in rugby :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-07, 08:23 AM
Despite I'd like to have at least one more fellow vote, that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm quite ready for the next contest. Missed out on the last two due to move and sister's wedding so would like to enter this time.

Cieyrin
2010-06-09, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I don't see the other judges showing up at this point, really. We should total, award trophies and move on to the new secret ingredient.

Akal Saris
2010-06-11, 12:37 AM
Heh...I just got back from North Korea, am posting from my hotel in Beijing at the moment. China feels like the land of endless freedom after a week in the DPRK :smalltongue:

Anyhow, let's give it a day for any last minute judging and then tally up votes and start the next one. I saw Godskook started a 'Cooking on a Budget' thread, so it looks like these are starting to catch on a little more =)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-13, 11:16 AM
Hey Helio, as much as I like entering these, if you're busy I can take the reigns for a time.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-15, 03:34 PM
Ok, so we can tally up to know who won, can everyone reveal which entry was theirs?

Amphetryon
2010-06-15, 04:57 PM
Ok, so we can tally up to know who won, can everyone reveal which entry was theirs?

I'm game if the other contestants are ready to announce the winner.

Ingus
2010-06-19, 10:39 AM
Since is so long that anyone posted here, since Helio is missing and, at the start of this thread stated he was occupied, here's an unofficial chart.
Please do check the results, 'cause it is a quick sum and may be not mistake free.
This said, since now...

The Green Knight 48.25 points, 4.02
Jason the Hellspeaker 42.75 points, 3,5625
Canarius a.k.a. Canary 41.75 points, 3,4791
Taeron Storlie 38 points, 3,166
Voice of Sebekh 37.75 points, 3,1458
Myriam Ziv Pantheras 36.5 points, 3,0416
Malaermus 35 points, 2,916
Old Yeller 32.5 points 2,708
Human Crusader 17.5 points*

*This, considering a rank of zero by Vorpal Tribble. His medium would be of 1.458 on 3 judges count and 2.1875 on 2 judges base.

Hope not to be blamed by this initiative. Congrats to everyone :smallsmile:

Heliomance
2010-06-19, 11:48 AM
Oops. I meant to do that, honest. :smalleek:

I think I'll throw the next Iron Chef open to whoever wants to chair it, having run five in quick succession I'm going to take a break.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-19, 12:49 PM
Oops. I meant to do that, honest. :smalleek:

I think I'll throw the next Iron Chef open to whoever wants to chair it, having run five in quick succession I'm going to take a break.

Can I do it? If you have a particular Secret Ingredient in mind, just PM me, otherwise I've got it covered.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-19, 12:50 PM
Can I do it? If you have a particular Secret Ingredient in mind, just PM me, otherwise I've got it covered.
I volunteered earlier, but I already run too many. I like being able to enter. Go for it :smallcool:

Heliomance
2010-06-19, 03:03 PM
Go for it, Prinny. I don't have any particular classes in mind.

Something I think would be a good idea, which I kept forgetting to do, is to add some "what has come before" links to the OP linking to the previous contests.

Zaq
2010-06-19, 03:04 PM
Would this be an appropriate place to suggest a secret ingredient? I don't have the time or the organization to run one of these things, but if you're accepting suggestions, I do have a few classes I wish would just... work... better.

the humanity
2010-06-19, 03:10 PM
Would this be an appropriate place to suggest a secret ingredient? I don't have the time or the organization to run one of these things, but if you're accepting suggestions, I do have a few classes I wish would just... work... better.
people did it last time in the thread.

I think Daggerspell Mage would be fun, myself. also, Lyric Thamateurge.

Zaq
2010-06-19, 03:13 PM
people did it last time in the thread.

I think Daggerspell Mage would be fun, myself. also, Lyric Thamateurge.

Sounds reasonable.

I'd love to see what people can do with Incandescent Champion, from Magic of Incarnum. So cool, and so utterly unsynergistic with the rest of the book.

Also, Luckstealer, from Races of the Wild. Very cool, very fluffy, very weak.

Private-Prinny
2010-06-19, 04:07 PM
Go for it, Prinny. I don't have any particular classes in mind.

Something I think would be a good idea, which I kept forgetting to do, is to add some "what has come before" links to the OP linking to the previous contests.

I have a few ideas.:smallamused:

I'll bring the new thread up after someone steps up to claim 1st and 2nd place. Oh, and for anyone who wants to suggest a secret ingredient, I'm open to suggestions by PM, but please don't enter if I use your suggestion. I won't stop you, but it would just seem rude.

Heliomance
2010-06-19, 05:47 PM
Well, in that case, we have Akal Saris's The Green Knight in first.
Ozymandias9's Jason the Hellspeaker in second, then:
Togo's Canarius a.k.a. Canary
Embermage's Taeron Storlie
Ingus's Voice of Sebekh
Hand_of_Vecna's Miryam Ziv Pantheras
Amphetryon's Malaermus
Chineselegolas's Old Yeller
dspeyer's Human Crusader

assuming Ingus's sums are right :P

Congratulations to Akal (again!) and Ozymandias9! I wonder if Strategos is still watching this thread?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-19, 05:50 PM
Ozymandias9's Jason the Hellspeaker in second, then:
Togo's Canarius a.k.a. Canary
Embermage's Taeron Storlie
Ingus's Voice of Sebekh
Hand_of_Vecna's Miryam Ziv Pantheras
Amphetryon's Malaermus
Chineselegolas's [B]Old Yeller
dspeyer's Human Crusader

assuming Ingus's sums are right :P

Congratulations to Akal (again!) and Ozymandias9! I wonder if Strategos is still watching this thread?

Why am I not surprised?:smalltongue:

Congratulations Akal

Private-Prinny
2010-06-19, 06:44 PM

You need to stop doing that. Strategos should just pre-engrave your trophy to save time.:smalltongue:

Anyway, I've got the text ready for the next challenge, as well as a secret ingredient that gives plenty of options while still managing to suck.:smallbiggrin:

Should I put it up now?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-19, 06:52 PM
You need to stop doing that. Strategos should just pre-engrave your trophy to save time.:smalltongue:

Anyway, I've got the text ready for the next challenge, as well as a secret ingredient that gives plenty of options while still managing to suck.:smallbiggrin:

Should I put it up now?

Maybe... I think since this time I will have time I will actually be able to compete!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-19, 07:02 PM
Please do. And Akal... I'm coming for you :smallyuk:

Amphetryon
2010-06-19, 09:00 PM
Congratulations again, Akal....*mutters about letting someone else have a shot*
:smallwink:

Akal Saris
2010-06-19, 09:57 PM
Heheheh, thanks for the congratulations everyone, and congrats to Ozymandias9 as well =)

I actually really like war chanter, so making the character was pretty easy. I was just worried that I'd lose points for the straight paladin entry or if somebody else thought of beast heart adept as well.

With Helio taking a break and Prinny hosting the next, I'll volunteer to judge for that one to fill the gap if needed.

Strategos
2010-06-19, 11:12 PM
I'm still here, don't worry. Here are the trophies:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/AkalSarisWarchanterTrophy.png

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u163/The_Great_Strategos/Ozymandias9Warchanter.png

Congratulations to the winners! :smallbiggrin:

Akal Saris
2010-06-20, 12:38 AM
Yay, thanks Strategos! Very cute statue indeed :smallbiggrin: