PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Bard-Barian PEACH

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 06:16 AM
Quillion was a gnomish musician spending time at a costal village when a nearby group of Aboleth raiders sent their despicable minons to raid the land. Most were slaughtered, but Quillion was one of the few "chosen" to become a slave - or a snack. To comfort himself, Quillion played his banjo. Mezmerized by the beauty of his music. All the Aboleth came to listen. They had never heard such music! They provided him with an Ioun stone and dragged him to the depths, where he played for them for years and years. Over time, his rage and hatred for the Aboleths grew, and, after his escape, the gnome learnt to concentrate it into his music, turning his hatred into beautiful, sorrowful melodies filled with magically infused hatred and passion.

The BardBarian

HD: D12, Skill Points 4+ Int,

Prerequisites: Rage 2/Day, Fascinate Bardic Music ability, 9 Ranks in intimidate, 9 Ranks in Perform.

{table=head]Level|
Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort|Reflex|Will|Special

1|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Song of Fury, Musician at Heart

2|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mad Skills

3|
+3|
+3|

+1|+3|Rage +1/day

4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Song of Destruction, DR +1/-

5|

+5|+4|
+1|
+4|Soul of Song and Fury[/table]

Musician At Heart (Ex) : Bardbarian and Bard levels stack when determining how many times/day a Bardbarian can use Bardic Music as well as spellcasting.

Song of Rage: (Su) Playing this songs sends one character that can hear the bard's playing into a rage similar to that of the first level Barbarian.

Mad Skills (Ex): While in Rage, a Bardbarian can automatically begin using one of his Bardic Music abilities, without needing to maintain it for the duration of the rage. When the Rage ends, the Bardbarian needs to begin using standard actions as usual in order to maintain the Bardic Music.

Song of Destruction: While playing the Song of Destruction, a Bardbarian delas 1d6+CHA Bonus damage per 4 Bard/Barbarian/Bardbarian levels (they stack) to each creature within 15 feet of him.

Soul Of Song and Fury (Su): When the Bard uses any form of Bardic Music, he recieves 10 Temporary hitpoints and a +2 bonus to strength which last until a minute after he stops playing. These stack with bonuses provided by the rage ability, but are not activated when a Bardbarian enters a Bardic Music triggered by rage.

Skill List is:

Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Ride, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 06:32 AM
The playground thinks tables make homebrew easier to read.

{table=head]Level|
Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort|Reflex|Will|Special

1|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Song of Fury, Musician at Heart

2|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mad Skills

3|
+3|
+3|

+1|+3|Rage +1/day

4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Song of Destruction, DR/- +1

5|

+5|+4|
+1|
+4|Soul of Song and Fury[/table]

Also, Bold ability titles, like so:

Soul of Song and Fury:

Put in (Ex), (Su) and possibly (Sp) tags on your abilities.

Also, Song of Rage is ridiculously powerful. Limit it per day, and then you're duplicating an epic feat.

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 01:13 PM
Made changes to original post. Is bardic music Ex, Su or Sp?

demidracolich
2010-05-15, 01:21 PM
Yay! This actually makes the barbarian somewhat scary!:smallbiggrin:
Normally it goes like this: "I'm a gnome bard! I'm more scary than the barbarian, rawr!" and then the enemies cower in fear whilde ignoring the barbarians attempt to intimidate them.:smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-05-15, 01:24 PM
Yay! This actually makes the barbarian somewhat scary!:smallbiggrin:
Normally it goes like this: "I'm a gnome bard! I'm more scary than the barbarian, rawr!" and then the enemies cower in fear whilde ignoring the barbarians attempt to intimidate them.:smalltongue:

Maybe early on, but the ranks in Intimidate would catch up faster than the bard's Charisma modifier would rise.

This class doesn't have any class skills.

demidracolich
2010-05-15, 01:33 PM
Yes, I noticed that too, if it doesn't have intimidate as a class skill I will start raging. Rage!:smallfurious:
:smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 01:44 PM
Maybe early on, but the ranks in Intimidate would catch up faster than the bard's Charisma modifier would rise.

This class doesn't have any class skills.

Right. I'll add a list sometime today. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 04:02 PM
Bardic Music is (Su).

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 07:37 PM
Added song of Destruction. Overpowered? Underpowred? Fine?

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 07:44 PM
I... would never play that song. Ever. I've got barbarian levels, I'll just smash the damn things.

Temotei
2010-05-15, 07:45 PM
Added song of Destruction. Overpowered? Underpowred? Fine?

It seems a tad weak. I'd raise the damage to 1d6 per four levels probably. Or more.

Perhaps 1d6+Cha modifier, with damage rising every four levels (1d6+Cha mod at 4th, 2d6+Cha mod at 8th, 3d6+Cha mod at 12th, 4d6+Cha mod at 16th, 5d6+Cha mod at 20th). Even then, it's still a bit low, but it's area damage, so I suppose it's probably okay.

You could probably get away with 1d8+Cha mod per round, at least.

If you're afraid of making it too strong, just keep it at d4, but either make it every three or four levels and add Charisma modifier to damage.

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 07:48 PM
It's within 5 feet of you. That's some pitiful area. At best, a human bardbarian will be getting 8 creatures, and that's incredibly unlikely. I would say raise the area significantly.

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 07:50 PM
Thanks! Is fifteen feet and 1d6 + CHA Modifier / 4 levels too strong?

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 07:52 PM
Not really. I think that would be fine.

EDIT: You're still almost duplicating an epic feat as soon as you enter the class. Incite Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#inciteRage) now feels sad.

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 07:59 PM
My version only applies to one person, and is weaker...

What if they need to be adjacent to you when you activate the ability?

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 08:43 PM
Oh, I didn't see the 'one character' bit. It does very neatly help out any devoted melee characters, but it's not overpowered like I thought. Carry on!

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 05:16 AM
Skill List is:

Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim,

The list is a mixture of Bard and Barbarian Skills, but the Bardbarian has lost a bit of his Bardic Guile and a bit of his wild instinct. (Appraise, Handle Animal, Ride, Deceipher Script, Tumble and Speak Language are not class skills)

ninjaneer003
2010-05-16, 09:54 AM
i'd say you could probably make the song of destruction 30ft without it being overpowered

Jogi
2010-05-16, 10:06 AM
Oooh, Im gonna play one of these.

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 11:00 AM
Oooh, Im gonna play one of these.

:biggrin: I am honored, Jogi!

6 Squares for the Song of Destruction? Hmm... would that make the class overpowered (Keep in mind that, seeing as he has the Mad Skills class feature, he can move and attack while using this song)...

Strudel110
2010-05-16, 02:36 PM
Oh my God I had this idea a long time ago but never brewed it. Thank you!

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 02:50 PM
So, should I leave class as-is, make the song of destruction go up to 30 ft, or change in some other way? (Such as adding spells to the Bard and Bard-Barian spell list?

Haarkla
2010-05-16, 07:36 PM
So, should I leave class as-is, make the song of destruction go up to 30 ft, or change in some other way? (Such as adding spells to the Bard and Bard-Barian spell list?

I would make Ride a class skill, suitable for both a wandering troubadour and a mongol/hunnic-type barbarian.

Lord Loss
2010-05-17, 05:26 AM
Oh my God I had this idea a long time ago but never brewed it. Thank you!

Thanks for the compliment!

@ Haarkla I added Ride as a class skill.

Glimbur
2010-05-17, 01:54 PM
Consider making the radius of song of destruction scale with either perform ranks or cha modifier... I don't like flat radii.

Amusingly, Song of Rage is an incredible debuff you can drop on enemy spellcasters. Change it to only work on willing targets.

Lord Loss
2010-05-17, 03:24 PM
Consider making the radius of song of destruction scale with either perform ranks or cha modifier... I don't like flat radii.

Amusingly, Song of Rage is an incredible debuff you can drop on enemy spellcasters. Change it to only work on willing targets.

Actually, I intentionally worded it as to be a weapon as well: Great for getting peope you hate in trouble, or as a spellcaster-stopper.

Glimbur
2010-05-17, 08:55 PM
Actually, I intentionally worded it as to be a weapon as well: Great for getting peope you hate in trouble, or as a spellcaster-stopper.

It should allow a will save then. Make the DC 10+class level+Cha modifier, or 5+ranks in perform+cha modifer.

Jogi
2010-05-18, 10:41 AM
It should allow a will save then. Make the DC 10+class level+Cha modifier, or 5+ranks in perform+cha modifer.

What about a resisted Concentration vs. Perform?