PDA

View Full Version : Marvel v DC Baseball team tournament

LordOfNarf
2006-05-13, 12:33 AM
This question has been bugging me for a while, so if marvel and DC both created baseball teams out of their superheroes and supervillans, then who would play what, and who would win?

6079smithw
2006-05-13, 12:41 AM
Marvel:
Bullseye: pitcher. Obviously.
Spiderman: right fielder. Actually, he could handle pretty much the whole outfield, assuming he was allowed to use his webbing.
The Blob: Catcher. a.)He'd never have to move to snag a ball. b.) Nobody would ever dodge a tag from him. c.) He'd really screw up the batter. Seriously.

That's all I've got.

DC:
Superman could pretty much be the whole team. Throw in the Flash for good luck.

Jibar
2006-05-13, 04:19 AM
Also, throw in Dr. Doom and Magneto for Marvel.
They put a piece of metal inside the ball, and not even Superman could beat them.
Well, with Dr. Doom playing nobody could beat them.

The Giant
2006-05-13, 08:57 AM
I think you're missing the potential for giant green baseball gloves inherent in a Green Lantern Corps outfield.

tape_measure
2006-05-13, 09:01 AM
I could see venom or carnage at shortstop

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-13, 10:49 AM
I think you're missing the potential for giant green baseball gloves inherent in a Green Lantern Corps outfield.But, according to Kyle Rayner's girlfriend, giant gloves aren't cool.

Jibar
2006-05-13, 10:51 AM
I should really read more comics...
I have no idea about most of the DC world,
Unless it's Batman.

ElfLad
2006-05-13, 12:49 PM
Nightcrawler could probably handle the entire outfield AND infield for Marvel.

And he'd be great at stealing bases.

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-13, 04:08 PM
Mystique could pretend that she's the pitcher of the DC team and throw really horribley.

toysailor
2006-05-13, 04:54 PM
Dream of the Endless makes the Marvel team dream that they have lost.

Walkover.

=p

Dangermcjebus
2006-05-13, 04:59 PM
Batman would be the manager for DC. Xavier would be the Manager for Marvel.

toysailor
2006-05-13, 05:18 PM
This reminds me of a Batman Vs Professor X discussion I had with a friend once.

"No way Batman can win. Xavier will just get into his mind and fry it."
"But dude, remember what happened in one of the Batman movies when the Riddler tried to get into Batman's mind."
"....."
"Yep! So Xavier makes mind contact with Batman, sees the whopping BIG BAT and goes crazy from fear! Batman wins!"
"....."

ElfLad
2006-05-13, 08:03 PM
Well, no need for Xavier to confront Batman directly.

Imagine a Xavier-possessed Superman. He'd be unstoppable, even for Batman.

Back to baseball, Quicksilver and the Flash would make good lead-off hitters for Marvel and DC, respectively.

Uatu the Watcher would be the umpire. ;D

flacko
2006-05-13, 08:13 PM
the joker would be a great baseball pitcher for DC, probably replace the ball with a face eating ball. that would be cool.

TinSoldier
2006-05-14, 12:49 AM
the joker would be a great baseball pitcher for DC, probably replace the ball with a face eating ball. that would be cool.Naah. Joker would be the umpire!

turkishproverb
2006-05-14, 12:56 AM
Imagine a Xavier-possessed Superman. He'd be unstoppable, even for Batman.

You did not just open that can of worms.

Incidentally, who would pitch for DC? Cosmic Boy? Mattereater lad?

Swamp thing in the outfield. NO ONE on the marvel team will get an out of the park ball. Tree suddenly shoots up and catches the ball, and swings it to a nearby player.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-14, 01:04 AM
Has noone considered doc oc as an outfeilder? his arms whould do a swell job of catching.

Or first baseman, he could catch any hit and tag the runner as soon as they start moving

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-14, 01:51 AM
Gambit should be the Marvel pitcher, because as soon as the ball hits the bat, BOOM! (Might be a penalty in there somewhere.)

Jibar
2006-05-14, 01:58 AM
Gambit should be the Marvel pitcher, because as soon as the ball hits the bat, BOOM! (Might be a penalty in there somewhere.)

Which reminds me. Wolverine's healing power lets him regenerate from practically anything. So what would happen if Gambit charged him up? Would he go boom, or would his healing factor kick in and stop the boom?

Skydiving_Ninja
2006-05-14, 03:10 PM
*brain frys from last question*

Marvel's Team:
Bullseye/Hawkeye: Pitcher
Blob: Catcher
Doc Ock: Outfield
Mr. Fantastic: OUtfield
Quicksilver
Nightcrawler
Spider-Man
Dr. Doom
Thor
Daredevil: Umpire

Old_el_Paso
2006-05-14, 03:22 PM
Because he can SEE if they're safe of not.

ElfLad
2006-05-14, 07:31 PM
Which reminds me. Wolverine's healing power lets him regenerate from practically anything. So what would happen if Gambit charged him up? Would he go boom, or would his healing factor kick in and stop the boom?

Gambit can only charge up inorganic matter. So he would not be able to make Wolverine go boom, but if he could get his hands on Wolverine's adamantium skeleton, then what happens next is anyone's guess. At the very least, Wolverine would be incapacitated enough for Gambit to either make his getaway or finish the job.

Jibar
2006-05-15, 01:07 AM
So if he suddenly grabbed hold of his claws, he could charge those up?
Ouch...that would basically be his skeleton blowing up...
Okay then, what if he charged up Apocolypse, because that's just a suit...isn't it?

turkishproverb
2006-05-15, 01:16 AM
grabbing wolvies claws.......can you say shredded hands?

Jibar
2006-05-15, 01:23 AM
Okay, just tap the side of one. That should be enough for him to charge them up.

6079smithw
2006-05-15, 02:03 AM
I thought he had to have a pretty significant amount of contact or a decent amount of time for stuff of largish mass?

Anyway, back on topic:
To what degree are the characters allowed to use outside equipment? If Green Lantern rings and Spider webshooters are kosher, why can't Batman just bring in some of the mechanized baseball players I'm sure he has?

Reijas
2006-05-15, 09:03 AM
I take the Hulk for DH, if we are playing in the national league, then have to stick him on First :)

Bozidar
2006-05-15, 09:35 AM
1) No equipment. That means no rings, no webs, no mechanical arms, ect.. sorry spidey, doc ock, and lantern.. it's just not legal. And that means no suits, Tony Stark, and no bat-a-ranging people, Bruce!

2) No flying, turning invislble, into total flame, or teleporting -- it debases the game.

3) No tricks, such as switching the ball with an exploding pumpkin, or charging it up to explode. The game equipment can only be used as it's intended. This means no magic, too.

4) I think villans are out. If they're going to kick baseball players out of the MLB for using steroid (what do they have to do it, 4 times first?) I don't think convicted mass-murderers, assassins, thieves, and other assorted convicts will be allowed -- this isn't Basketball, Congress or Football, this is BASEBALL.

5) Girls are allowed, even encouraged. They have to wear the same uniforms as they did in the 40's.

6) No DH. These guys are superheroes.. they should be able to hit as well as pitch.

My teams would be as follows, in batting order
Marvel:
SS: Quicksilver
2B: Captain Jeter, I mean Captain America (for those intangibles)
1B: Barry.. er, Hulk
C: Thing
3B: Spiderman and his spider sense for the hot corner. Also, he's a lot stronger than he looks..
LF: Collossus
RF: Rogue
CF: Mr. Fantastic
P: Hawkeye

Manager: Professor X
Bench Coach: Don Zimmer
1B Coach: Beast
3B Coach: Storm (rain the game out if things aren't looking good in the 4th, and nice eye candy)

DC team:
SS: Flash
2B: Batman (Captain)
CF: Superman
RF: Supergirl
1B: Wonder Woman
C: Vision (block the plate!)
LF: Captain Marvel (not captain)
3B: Cyborg (rookie)
P: Green Arrow

Manager: Batman (yeah, like pete rose and many others did, a player/manager. I think we're all familiar with multi classing.. )
Bench Coach: Robin
1B coach: Hawkgirl
3B coach: Batgirl

6079smithw
2006-05-15, 11:19 AM
Is it canon that Green Arrows aim extends outside of his bow, or are we just assuming that? I haven't read any of his stuff...

edit: Also, shouldn't 'accessing the Speed Force' count as magic? Because otherwise that seems a bit unfair; you could populate the whole DC lineup with various Flashes and annihilate the enemy.

Bozidar
2006-05-15, 01:43 PM
I think if you strip them naked and cut them off from any magic powers (such as Dr. Strange), and they can still do it...? then it's generally fair game.

Speed is part of baseball, you can't take that away.

I'm not sure how extensive the Flash family is, but i thought that with superman and flash's speed, it was enough.

Bozidar
2006-05-15, 01:44 PM
Is it canon that Green Arrows aim extends outside of his bow, or are we just assuming that? I haven't read any of his stuff...I don't know :) I'm a Marvel guy.. but anyone who has that good of hand-eye coordination is probably pretty good with thrown items too..

lunar
2006-05-15, 05:13 PM
I don't know :) I'm a Marvel guy.. but anyone who has that good of hand-eye coordination is probably pretty good with thrown items too..

Green Arrow wouldn't throw the ball though. Instead, he'd fire a baseball arrow.

Or you could have Wolverine be the ball! Especially, if it's a "fast" ball.

turkishproverb
2006-05-15, 07:10 PM
I think if you strip them naked and cut them off from any magic powers (such as Dr. Strange), and they can still do it...? then it's generally fair game.

Swamp thing is pased off of magical psudoscience, but heshould still be on the team. Grow a big tree in the way of a fly ball.

And what about jade? Genetically inbuild green lantern powers. I'd say that would have to be legal.

6079smithw
2006-05-15, 08:27 PM

Speed is part of baseball, you can't take that away.

I'm not sure how extensive the Flash family is, but i thought that with superman and flash's speed, it was enough.

Uh, I think if we strip them naked, Batman will shame everyone else into surrender. Or at the very least freak them out with his scars.

Fintago
2006-05-15, 09:14 PM
Galactus and his heralds vs. Imperiex and his mini me's :)

moryath
2006-05-15, 09:58 PM
My teams would be as follows, in batting order
Marvel:
SS: Quicksilver
2B: Captain Jeter, I mean Captain America (for those intangibles)
1B: Barry.. er, Hulk
C: Thing
3B: Spiderman and his spider sense for the hot corner. Also, he's a lot stronger than he looks..
LF: Collossus
RF: Rogue
P: Hawkeye

Manager: Professor X
Bench Coach: Don Zimmer
1B Coach: Beast
3B Coach: Storm (rain the game out if things aren't looking good in the 4th, and nice eye candy)

DC team:
SS: Flash
CF: Superman
RF: Supergirl
1B: Wonder Woman
C: Vision (block the plate!)
LF: Captain Marvel (not captain)
3B: Cyborg (rookie)

Manager: Batman (yeah, like pete rose and many others did, a player/manager. I think we're all familiar with multi classing.. )
Bench Coach: Robin
1B coach: Hawkgirl
3B coach: Batgirl

Nitpicks:
#1 - Vision's a Marvel character.

Now to the lists:
Marvel:
C: Thing (no argument)
1B: Bruce Banner
2B: Captain America (team captain)
SS: Mar-Vell
3B: Optimus Prime (hey, Marvel did publish their comic series!)
LF: Quicksilver
RF: The Fabulous Frog-Man!
P: Longshot

DC:
C: Changeling
1B: Lobo
SS: Guy Gardner (known to have played in college)
3B: Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)
LF: Superman
CF: Plastic Man!
RF: Wally West

Also just to note, if you were to do it, you could make an entire team of nothing but Flashes pretty easily:

Bart Allen
Barry Allen
Wally West
Jay Garrick
Max Mercury
Johnny Quick
Jesse Quick
Red Trinity/Kapitalist Kouriers (speedster trio of Anatole, Bebek, Cassiopeia)
Blue Trinity/Red Shadow (speedster trio of Bolesaw, Gregor, and the eventual Lady Flash)
- and numerous other Allen descendants in later time periods, of course

Beleriphon
2006-05-15, 10:39 PM
I think we need to include at Galactus on Marvel team. That guy has got to be able to hit like nothing else!

asland32
2006-05-15, 11:24 PM
As much of a Marvel fan as I am, I'd go with DC on this one. One word: Superman. This is of course, assuming the good superman from the 70's & early 80's before he started getting powered down. Marvel heroes have no-one who can strike him out. Even using Longshot as a pitcher and his ever wonderful luck powers affecting the pitches, there's only so many times that Supes would "accidentally" dig up a kryptonite fragment with his foot before the Ump would throw Longshot out.

Oh, and Wolverine sucks, Gambit rules, Cyclops is and always will be a wanker.

Foeofthelance
2006-05-16, 10:28 PM
The marvel team has been missing one thing consistently, which bugs me.

Jean Grey. SHE'S TELEKINETIC. The ball will do just about anything she tells it to do. Superman can go as fast as he want, all she has to do is keep the ball out fo reach. Swamp thing throughs a tree up? Watch as the ball threads it's way through all those twisted little branches.

I don't know if DC has any telekines at her level, so I'd say the match would be pretty much a Marvel bag. Besides, She'd wear a classic uniform, just to distract the other team.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-16, 11:55 PM
lets allow ant equipment that the superhero is generally not without, since it is part of there personas as heroes, so that means web shooters for spidey, and rings for GL, but no mechanized uberspecialized baseball bots for bats.

And lest assume one home game each, one game AL rules, one game NL rules

Beleriphon
2006-05-17, 01:46 AM
I don't know if DC has any telekines at her level, so I'd say the match would be pretty much a Marvel bag. Besides, She'd wear a classic uniform, just to distract the other team.

J'onn J'onzz (Martian Manhunter) is as powerful a telepath as Xavier, a telekinetic as Jean, a similar level of strength as Superman and he can fly.

Idiotbox90
2006-05-17, 12:56 PM
I think the announcers for the game should be the Question and Deadpool.

Reijas
2006-05-17, 02:05 PM
ROFL, the Question! I love it! I could just imagine his commentary.

"Batman on first, I see he is wearing cleats. Do you know what the holes on cleats are called? Aglets. They're true purpose is quite sinister!"

Bozidar
2006-05-17, 03:05 PM
As much of a Marvel fan as I am, I'd go with DC on this one. One word: Superman. The Beyonder. As I understand it, he wasn't a bad guy so much as a supreme being. He'd use Superman as a toothpick after eating the rest of the Justice League

Bozidar
2006-05-17, 03:54 PM
I think She-Hulk has to be on the team too. She might kick Captain America to the curb...

Shanatica
2006-05-17, 04:05 PM
I don't really care who gets to be on the teams as long as I can be judge/referee ;D

Idiotbox90
2006-05-17, 04:22 PM
Would the Super-Soldier serum disqualify Captain America?

Jones
2006-05-17, 04:33 PM
Let's ask Barry Bonds. ;D

I'd have to say that Captain America has only used steroids once.. so he already had his penalty and can't be disq'd.

GAZ
2006-05-17, 11:14 PM
The Marvel team needs Scarlet Witch, if only on the sidelines: "And Superman hits a long fly ball to center. It is high, it is far, it is...bouncing off a low flying bird and falling straight in Mr. Fantastic's mitt?"

servetus
2006-07-28, 12:11 AM
The first two West Coast Avengers annuals actually featured baseball games between the two Avengers teams (a tradition that was discontinued after Thor wacked a fastball with Mjolnir and broke the astrodome). One of the best plays featured Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau version) turning into light, catching up to the ball, turning human just long enough to catch the ball and throw it towards the ground, then turning back into light to land and catch the ball.

Superman isn't the only unbelievably fast character out there.