PDA

View Full Version : Pounce Question

Cogidubnus
2010-05-15, 11:07 AM
Anyway to get Pounce without taking levels of Barbarian? Just interested really.

PId6
2010-05-15, 11:13 AM
Polymorph into your favorite dire cat variant.

Pouncing Charge maneuver from Tome of Battle.

Lion's Charge spell from Spell Compendium or Psionic Lion's Charge power from Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Sphinx Claws soulmeld chakra bound to hands, though that's only with natural weapons.

comicshorse
2010-05-15, 11:32 AM
If you're playing a Shifter both Were-Touched Master and Reach -Runner PRC gets it

Gorbash
2010-05-15, 11:38 AM
Reach -Runner PRC gets it

IF the target is flat-footed.

Although Reachrunner is a pretty dead class, if you ask me.

Pluto
2010-05-15, 11:44 AM
From Surreal's invaluable Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):

Pounce - aka: full attack on a charge
The Grand Compilation of Full-Attack Charging PC Tricks
(by approximate level of availability; missing Sandstorm, Lost Empires of Faerun, Lords of Madness, Heroes of Battle, Champions of Ruin)

NO TEMPLATES ARE LISTED HERE.

Also, certain abilities only work in the first round of combat. Others work any time they are used.

1) Snow Tiger Berserker feat (berserker lodge feat (RP restriction), light weapons only, Unapproachable East)
1) Lion Totem Barbarian, class variant, Complete Champion
1) Lion Tribe Warrior (Regional feat, human only, single light weapon only, Shining South)
2) Catfolk Pounce feat (Racial feat: Catfolk, Races of the Wild. Available at character level 1, but listed at level 2 because of Catfolk's +1 LA)
4) Psionic Lion's Charge (2nd level psywar power, augments to add damage to each attack, Expanded Psionic's Handbook)
5) Lion's Charge (3rd level druid / 2th level ranger spell, Spell Compendium)
5) Wild Shape (Fleshraker, Monster Manual III)
6) Lion's Pounce Wild Feat (Complete Divine), only after using wildshape, see text
6) Bestial charge, feat, Complete Champion
7) Polymorph spell (many forms grant Pounce or similar abilities)
7) Metamorphosis power (as Polymorph, but might require Supernatural Transformation)
8) Wild Shape (Tiger) (If Core-only.)
8) Weretouched II: Tiger (Weretouched Master prestige class ability, Shifter only and only while shifting, Eberron CS)
10) Pouncing Ambush (5th level Reachrunner prestige class ability, Shifter only and only while shifting, against flat-footed opponent only, Races of Eberron)
11) Lion's Pounce (4th level Sigh Rager prestige class ability, Oriental Adventures)
11) Lion's Pounce (5th level Lion of Talisid prestige class ability, Book of Exalted Deeds)
13) Drift 4: Pounce like a leopard (7th level Geomancer drift, Complete Divine)
17) Shapechange spell (many forms grant Pounce or an extra move action, or something sicker (Chronotryn (FF), Choker).)
17) Greater Metamorphosis power (As Shapechange, but may require Metamorphic Transfer feat)
21) Dire Charge epic feat (Widely accepted as at least slightly underpowered, but works regardless of your equipment or magic availability. Draconomicon)

Variable level: Claws of the Leopard (spiked gauntlets, Complete Adventurer, priced at 38,305. Only works with the claws themselves).

Note that the Great Granddaddy of Wild Shape, the Mulhorandi Divine Minion, may be able to pull off some of these far earlier than other characters.

With sufficient cheatery twinks, anything is possible.

Runner-ups (those with similar abilities that do not exactly count as charging):
Full Mounted Attack (Cavalier and Halfling Outrider, CW; Kishi Charger, OA, possibly others)
Dervish Dance (Dervish, CW)
Hustle (Psychic Warrior / Egoist power, XPH)
Wild Plains Offensive (Wild Plains Outrider, CV)
Shadow Pounce (Teflammar Shadowlord, UE), ecl 11
Lion Tribe Warrior (Regional feat, two light weapons only, Shining South)
Two-Weapon Spring Attack (Tempest, CV)
Dimension Spring Attack (Elocator, XPH)
Black Magic Oil: Malign Fury (Warrior of Darkness, BoVD)

10) Crinty Shadow Maurauder 5 (shadow pounce) - Shining South (Forgotten Realms)
11) Wildrunner 6 (primal scream: pounce) - Races of the Wild
11) Waverider 6, Savage Species, full mounted attack when mount moves more than 5 feet
12) Ashworm Dragon 7, Sandstorm, full mounted attack when mount moves more than 5 feet, but not on a charge
15) Blade of Orien 10, Eberron: Dragonmarked, full attack after dimension leap

Sphinx Claws, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, natural weapons only
Chupoclops, vestige, ecl 12, Tome of Magic
Pouncing Charge, Tiger Claw maneuver, Tome of Battle

edit:
and if you're just looking for a way to move and full attack (not Pounce, specifically), Person_Man made a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) that covers that pretty well.

Darrin
2010-05-15, 12:43 PM
Anyway to get Pounce without taking levels of Barbarian? Just interested really.

Travel devotion.

Person_Man has a more complete List of Ways to get Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

comicshorse
2010-05-15, 06:47 PM
Posted by Gorbash

Although Reachrunner is a pretty dead class, if you ask me.

Really I was thinking of getting for my Shifter P.C. What would you recommend instead ?
By the time I get to that I'll be Scout1/ Ranger 3/Barbarian 1/ War Shaper 4/ Were-Touched Master 5. Mainly based around moving real fast and hitting real hard

Boci
2010-05-15, 08:03 PM
Posted by Gorbash

Really I was thinking of getting for my Shifter P.C. What would you recommend instead ?
By the time I get to that I'll be Scout1/ Ranger 3/Barbarian 1/ War Shaper 4/ Were-Touched Master 5. Mainly based around moving real fast and hitting real hard

Go ranger 5 and get the wild shape variant?

Icewraith
2010-05-15, 08:13 PM
Lion of Talisid 6 (BoED)

comicshorse
2010-05-15, 08:14 PM
I was considering that as I've already started on that variant for the extra movement

Boci
2010-05-15, 08:24 PM
I was considering that as I've already started on that variant for the extra movement

If you do, go wearshaper 5 for the ability to change into different animals without burning extra wildhsape uses.