PDA

View Full Version : Unruly player problems

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 03:39 PM
Okay. In my current (offline) group, I have a player who is best friends with the DM, to the point where the DM effectively do whatever the player wants (including a character with +12 str, dex, and con, and no level adjustment or balances). Whenever I try to talk to either of them about it, they don't listen to what I am saying. Anybody have some ideas?
Thanks,
Xavez

Forever Curious
2010-05-15, 03:41 PM
Okay. In my current (offline) group, I have a player who is best friends with the DM, to the point where the DM effectively do whatever the player wants (including a character with +12 str, dex, and con, and no level adjustment or balances). Whenever I try to talk to either of them about it, they don't listen to what I am saying. Anybody have some ideas?
Thanks,
Xavez

Start a new group if they won't listen to reason.

Shademan
2010-05-15, 03:42 PM
they need to be punished. bring out the cheese!

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 03:44 PM
Start a new group if they won't listen to reason.

Th problem is, the group I'm in is pretty much the only 5 people in my neighborhood around my age level who like roleplaying.

they need to be punished. bring out the cheese!
Which is...
-Xavez

Greenish
2010-05-15, 03:48 PM
Th problem is, the group I'm in is pretty much the only 5 people in my neighborhood around my age level who like roleplaying.Age is not a limit.

Which is...
-Xavez"Cheese" in this context refers to ridiculously overpowered characters.

QuantumSteve
2010-05-15, 03:51 PM
Does it really bother that much? I mean, does that affect your ability to have fun in the game? If so, tell them you're not having fun. Or, I don't know, ask if you can play a +12 character too, or whatever you need to keep having fun.

I'm assuming you feel overshadowed by this character, to the point where you don't feel your character can contribute. What will it take for you to feel you're contributing? Ask for that.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-15, 03:53 PM
Age is not a limit.

That really depends on how open-minded the other people the OP finds to play with are. Or how willing they are to accept someone significantly younger (or older) than they are.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 04:05 PM
Age is not a limit.
"Cheese" in this context refers to ridiculously overpowered characters.

First: Age does matter when you're just entering high school.
Second: I'm already using cheese. The main problem is that the player's characters slow down the game a lot, he keeps changing his characters after trying to kill them (and succeeding), and neither the player nor the DM care when I tell them about my problems with the player.
-Xavez

PersonMan
2010-05-15, 04:09 PM
That really depends on how open-minded the other people the OP finds to play with are. Or how willing they are to accept someone significantly younger (or older) than they are.

And besides, it's usually more enjoyable to play with people around your age/maturity.

Mastikator
2010-05-15, 04:13 PM
Thanks,
Xavez
I can see three options:
One, you can ask him why he's ignoring your complaints.
Two, you can ask to get the same kinds of free bonuses. You'll all be equals and the DM will adjust the challenge of monsters accordingly.
Or three, beat them a little.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 04:15 PM
Does it really bother that much? I mean, does that affect your ability to have fun in the game? If so, tell them you're not having fun. Or, I don't know, ask if you can play a +12 character too, or whatever you need to keep having fun.

I'm assuming you feel overshadowed by this character, to the point where you don't feel your character can contribute. What will it take for you to feel you're contributing? Ask for that.

My character can contribute very well actually, being a gestalt sorcerer/wizard, but the player (who works with the DM, knows the adventures beforehand, and is shown large amounts of favoritism) slows down play A TON. That's where my main problem is. The DM lets him take about 3 turns in a row when we each only get the standard two actions. Thank Threeshades he's not a caster (though he probably will be soon).
-Xavez

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 04:15 PM

Shame about that. Maybe look for PbP or Skype/MSN etc. games?

Fallbot
2010-05-15, 04:25 PM
How do the other players feel about all this? You should talk to them and, if they agree with you, confront the problem player and/or GM together. It will be much harder for them to ignore you if you have the rest of the group backing you up.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-15, 04:33 PM
Shame about that. Maybe look for PbP or Skype/MSN etc. games?

I will soon be in a PbP, but I still want to play a game with people whose faces I can see (and who I can address by name).

How do the other players feel about all this? You should talk to them and, if they agree with you, confront the problem player and/or GM together. It will be much harder for them to ignore you if you have the rest of the group backing you up.

Good suggestion. I think I'll try that, but most of the other players haven't really noticed.
-Xavez

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-15, 04:39 PM
Good suggestion. I think I'll try that, but most of the other players haven't really noticed.

Really? Then are you sure the problem is really as bad as you think it is? How could they not notice this guy getting like 3 turns in a row? :smallconfused:

Anyway, regardless of what is actually going on, if everyone else at the table is having a good time, I'm inclined to say that the problem lies with you. So either learn to be happy with what you've got, or start looking for something else. Life usually comes down to the choice between taking what you want and taking what you can get.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-15, 09:46 PM
Second: I'm already using cheese. The main problem is that the player's characters slow down the game a lot, he keeps changing his characters after trying to kill them (and succeeding), and neither the player nor the DM care when I tell them about my problems with the player.
-Xavez

Item 1 - yeah, that's kinda tough unless you have a nerdy dad like me who'll DM for your group.

Item 2 - endlessly creating character after character is pretty stupid and time consuming.

I would get together with the other two members of the group since you have already talked to the offending player and his favorites-playing DM. Stage a mutiny - I'm guessing that the other two are getting tired of the stupidity of waiting for a player to roll a character again and again.

Hell, if it comes down to it, the three of you can start your own campaign and the two ninnies might come asking to play with you guys. A campaign with two players and a DM could really get that "partners in crime" feeling to it, but the DM has to be a little more careful about pacing and difficulty levels.

DabblerWizard
2010-05-15, 10:37 PM
...Anyway, regardless of what is actually going on, if everyone else at the table is having a good time, I'm inclined to say that the problem lies with you...

I disagree with the above sentiment.

Excessively favoring one player, over the others, is really annoying. I doubt anyone in the group that is actively aware of it, would be entirely okay with it.

It's likely that the other players in the group just don't want to cause any trouble, and think they have no other venues for gaming, so they sit on their hands and don't speak up about what is bothering them. Plus contradicting friends and DMs can be a bit stressful.

So, I say the problem is with the DM, since he's treating his players unequally.

Jallorn
2010-05-15, 10:54 PM
Two words, Pun-pun.

It's enough to make any DM cry.

Greenish
2010-05-15, 10:56 PM
Two words, Pun-pun.

It's enough to make any DM cry.Or go "pazu- what? Why do you keep repeating that?"

Seatbelt
2010-05-16, 12:24 AM
"I summon PAzuzu" doesn't work if the DM says "no you don't." I hate that advice. Any advice designed to get back at the DM that relies on the DM letting you do something is bad advice.

Riva
2010-05-16, 12:40 AM
You want some solid advice? Drop the game. Don't be rude about it, just let it kinda slide. Obviously you want to play, but a problem you are going to run into is that at your age everyone is still figuring out how to not be a [REDACTED]. Your group probably lacks the maturity to have a balanced game, and it isn't really their fault.

I would definitely hang out at your local game store however and get to know your community. You (probably) won't find a game immediately, but it'll give you time to scope it out, and find a group thats more to your liking. They will likely be older than you. If however you remain calm (no offense, but the younger you are the more easily... excitable you tend to be. This can get irritating swiftly) and behave maturely you should be able to find some acceptance.

If this doesn't seem like the way you want to go, just wait. You'll get to know a good group sooner or later, especially if you join as many nerdy clubs and conventions as possible. Even if you aren't especially interested in computers, your schools computer club should have some people you'll connect with.

Good luck and game on,

DISCLAIMER: Even though I think you should aim for an older crowd for this hobby, do remember that we attract a lot of very socially awkward people, and that doesn't go away no matter how old they are.

Math_Mage
2010-05-16, 01:38 AM
I would like more information about the situation...
-Is it a gestalt campaign? I know you said you're playing a gestalt character, but the DM has been so screwy from your description that I'm not taking any chances. Gestalt characters certainly take a longer time to build, play, and balance, which can only exacerbate the problem.
-How is this guy managing to die with +12 modifiers? Ability scores of 34 should be able to whomp anything up through level 10 even with terrible play, unless the DM is trying really hard to kill off the character (and this certainly doesn't seem like that kind of situation).
-How are the other players reacting? It should be impossible to miss such blatant and intense favoritism on the DM's part, and it'd certainly be difficult to have fun with this kind of unfair treatment (not to mention long delays when the player has to build new characters).
-What have you told the DM about your problems with the other player?

DabblerWizard
2010-05-16, 08:30 AM
-How are the other players reacting? It should be impossible to miss such blatant and intense favoritism on the DM's part, and it'd certainly be difficult to have fun with this kind of unfair treatment (not to mention long delays when the player has to build new characters).

That's what I said! :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 08:40 AM
You have many options here

A) Throw a Tantrum:

1) '' Half Lycan, Half Vampire. Stronger than Both'' - Underworld

Build a Stronger character maybe a fullcaster. Maybe another character with a gigantic bonus (Like the +12 STR), but more optimized than the other.

2) '' Aggresive Negotiations''

Tell the DM and the player that the character is overpowered and you,re not having fun because of it. If talking about it doesn't work, build Pun-Pun.

3) HULK SMASH

A variation of agressive negotiations, use PunPun to destroy the campaign world. Then explain

B) Talk About it:

Talk to your DM about this. A lot. Then ask if your character (and all the others) can also have +12 to a stat. And lots of bonus feats. Most importantly Prove your point. If they fail to see reason you can...

C) Leave

Yeah. That About sums it up.

Join a forum-based game!

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-16, 12:06 PM
Really? Then are you sure the problem is really as bad as you think it is? How could they not notice this guy getting like 3 turns in a row? :smallconfused:

Anyway, regardless of what is actually going on, if everyone else at the table is having a good time, I'm inclined to say that the problem lies with you. So either learn to be happy with what you've got, or start looking for something else. Life usually comes down to the choice between taking what you want and taking what you can get.

Great advice. Most of the other players are new to the game (one of them is used to AD&D, and three others don't own any of the core rulebooks, even the PHB), and the one other player (besides the unruly one) is also good friends with the problem player, so I don't really have much support on this issue. I think that the next bunch of cheese I'm introducing will balance things out though. I think I'll talk to the DM one more time and hopefully he will listen.
-Xavez

balistafreak
2010-05-16, 01:00 PM
It sounds like the group isn't bound by the want to play D&D, but rather the want to just hang out and have a good time. If you have no real solid relationship with the others, don't try and force your way in.

There are groups bound together by the love of RP and gaming, and others that are just strung together through camraderie and personal charisma. My own group is somewhere in the middle - they like D&D but not to the point of obsession (me, somewhat :smalltongue:) but we're all good friends, so I don't mind if they don't want to play D&D this Friday night and do something else.

Doppelganger
2010-05-16, 02:18 PM
Um, I feel like an idiot for asking, but who/what is pun-pun? Is it just a referance to overpowered builds in general, or a specific build, or a specific character? Please enlighten me.

NEO|Phyte
2010-05-16, 02:21 PM
Um, I feel like an idiot for asking, but who/what is pun-pun? Is it just a referance to overpowered builds in general, or a specific build, or a specific character? Please enlighten me.

It is the name of a theoretical optimization build (originally a kobold egoist, these days it can be anything that can make the knowledge check to learn of Pazuzu AFAIK) that, through the (ab)use of a poorly-worded ability, can give itself can any ability that exists, and through epic spellcasting shenanigans, ones that don't.

Doppelganger
2010-05-16, 02:35 PM
And what is Pazuzu AFAIK?

NEO|Phyte
2010-05-16, 02:37 PM
Some demon that appears if you say his name three times, and offers you wishes in exchange for your alignment shifting towards chaotic evil. Paladins get a free wish.

Volthawk
2010-05-16, 02:38 PM
And what is Pazuzu AFAIK?

Demon. If you say his name 3 times, he comes and gives you wishes. Messes up your alignment though, making you Chaotic, then Evil, and once you're CE, he won't help any more.

WorstDMEver
2010-05-16, 11:42 PM
Demon. If you say his name 3 times, he comes and gives you wishes. Messes up your alignment though, making you Chaotic, then Evil, and once you're CE, he won't help any more.

Oh, my ex-wife was just like that... ;p

Man - that's a messed up idea. There is now officially no Pazuzu in any of my campaign universes forever more.

WildPyre
2010-05-17, 12:08 AM
Oh, my ex-wife was just like that... ;p

Man - that's a messed up idea. There is now officially no Pazuzu in any of my campaign universes forever more.

There's one in mine.

He's a Chaotic Evil Half Fiend Gargoyle with levels in sorcerer. You say his name 3 times and he appears and kills your munchkin behind.