PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Your Favorite Superheroine?

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 06:40 PM
I can recall only three superheroines from when I was a kid: Batgirl, who appeared in the campy 1960s Batman series, Supergirl, about whom I actually recall very little (probably she made some appearances occasionally in comic books I read) and Wonder Woman, both from the comics and from Lynda Carter's live-action portrayal (by which time I was a teen).

Now the Batgirl of the 1960s series was played a very attractive actress, who managed nonetheless to make herself look ugly as Barbara Gordon. She had a cute little motorcycle to boot. Plus she was part of the Bat-corral, as I call it, and Batman was my second-favorite superhero. (Even as a child I recognized the pathetic nature of the Burt Ward Robin.) Wonderwoman in the comics was ok, but as played by Lynda Carter, she was hot. I don't recall much about Supergirl, but she had the kryptonian superpowers, and I've always been partial to them.

Of couse in the years since, I've seen other superheroines. The New Batman/Superman Adventures, and the related JL and JLU had a plethora of superheroines. Huntress made Wonder Woman look modest. Of course they powered up Wonder Woman vastly, making her almost a female Superman, while Huntress seemed pretty mortal. The Supergirl of this continuity is very appealing, albeit rather on the young side for my tastes. I liked her older clone
(Galatica or something like that) except for, you know, the whole evil thing. :D

There was the live action Birds of Prey series earlier this decade, with the Bruce Wayne/Selena Kyle daughter version of Huntress, whom I found not the least bit appealing. That show also had the daughter of Yellow Canary (is that the right name?) with the mental powers, who was ok. Barbara Gordon/Oracle was actually a pretty cool character as depicted on that show.

I didn't really become aware of her until I was an adult, but Jean Gray, especially the movie version, seems rather appealing.

Ok, after going through that rambling monologue, I'm still not sure which one I like the best. I kind of like the Barbara Gordon who's Batgirl in the New Batman/Superman adventures and lives to be Commissioner Gordon in Batman Beyond.

When I first thought of this topic I was leaning toward Wonder Woman, but I'm kind of leaning away from her toward Barbara Gordon now. The Wonder Woman of the 1970s live action series had really stupid music (unlike the brilliant score of the 1960s Batman :D), and the invisible airplane and magical lassoo were always pretty dopey. Oh, and let's not forget the whole "one minute we're set in World War II and the next we're set in 1975, and Lyle Wagonner has aged only 10 years" thing.

I'm going to go with Barbara Gordon for now, although I have a strange feeling that there's some really famous superheroine I'm forgetting entirely.

Oh, and don't even mention the Supergirl movie. The makers of that movie forfeited the rights to make any more movies about anything! :D

warmachine
2006-06-09, 06:57 PM
Halo Jones. An ordinary, young woman who fights to escape a spirit crushing, empty life.

Murky_Pool
2006-06-09, 07:10 PM
I quite liked rogue. Flight, Super Strength AND life stealing. You don't mess, you just don't.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-09, 07:11 PM
I'm gonna go with Storm on this one.

Nekkira
2006-06-09, 07:14 PM
In comics, I'd probably choose Storm as well.
In TV I'd choose Dark Angel, I really liked that show.

Dhavaer
2006-06-09, 07:18 PM
Thessaly. Total amorality, vast magical power, and really big glasses.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-09, 07:34 PM
Buffy Summers. Not only did she die and come back twice, but she set fire to one high school and blew up another. If only my graduation had been that great...

Hmm... Buffy vs Chuck Norris...

Sorry, couldn't help it. The threads have warped my mind.

toysailor
2006-06-09, 07:51 PM
Thessaly. Total amorality, vast magical power, and really big glasses.

Read vertigo much? XD Can't quite call Thess a "superheroine" though =/ But if Thess qualifies I'll choose Death of the Endless as my favourite "superheroine" =)

Otherwise... well, its gotta be X-23.

Beholden_Caulfield
2006-06-09, 07:58 PM
Squirrel Girl for the win.

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 08:12 PM
Hmm. I like Jean Grey. I like Storm. I like Rogue (see a pattern here?)

But I think I would have to go with Catwoman from the second Batman Movie (Michelle Pfeiffer). Not really a heroine yet not really a villain.

Tarlonniel
2006-06-09, 08:27 PM
Wonder Woman (golden age version) is definitely my favorite, though she doesn't have much competition. The only other superheroines I'm familiar with are Supergirl (the original), Barbara Gordon's Batgirl, and, to a very small extent, Hawkgirl. The first didn't have a terribly compelling background or personality; Barbara had both, but I liked her best as an occasional supporting character; the last was just blah :P

But Wonder Woman! She:
a) was an Amazon princess
b) interacted with ancient Greek gods
c) used neat magical gadgets
d) could out-run, out-muscle, etc. any mortal
e) had a pretty cool love-interest
f) did I mention Greek gods? :D
g) wore a kewl costume
h) seemed to stand as firmly for truth, justice, and the American way as my beloved Superman.

I thought she was awesome. Only recently did I learn of the bondage-oriented subtext that her creators injected into the tales; boy did that go completely over my head as a kid :P

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-09, 08:43 PM
Wonder Woman (golden age version) is definitely my favorite, though she doesn't have much competition.

You're more than entitled to your opinion, Tarlonniel, but I found Wonder Woman to be an insult to females everywhere. Here's why:

1. The entire show was intended to be a spoof on the feminist movement, not a promotion of women's rights.
2. Wonder Woman had to wear a tight, skimpy outfit in order to get attention. She preached for women's solidarity and rights, but resorted to flashing her body like a stripper.
3. She wasted her time saving some sappy boyfriend of hers, who we all know really just wanted some Wonder Booty.
4. The whole "lasso of truth" thing... that was a blatant reference to the stereotype that women are controlling hags.
5. I personally refuse to respect anyone who changes clothing by spinning around in slow-motion.
6. There was way too much emphasis on the "Yay for America" theme. Why couldn't she have just been applauded for doing the "right thing?"

TinSoldier
2006-06-09, 08:57 PM
Spoonless, for your point #2 I have to argue that most female superheroes/villains wear sexy outfits. I think the original Wonder Woman wore a much more modest outfit.

But I got a real kick out of your "Wonder Booty" comment! That made me laugh out loud!

Tarlonniel
2006-06-09, 08:59 PM
1. The entire show was intended to be a spoof on the feminist movement, not a promotion of women's rights.

Show? ??? You mean the television show with Lynda Carter? Gotta admit I've never seen it. The original WW was definitely not meant as a spoof, though. Her creators were staunch feminists.

2. Wonder Woman had to wear a tight, skimpy outfit in order to get attention.

Huh. I'm quite a prude normally, and even I don't think that shorts and a strapless tank top are terribly revealing. There are evening gowns which show just as much (or more). And compared to what today's superheroines wear, it's tame beyond belief. :o

4. The whole "lasso of truth" thing... that was a blatant reference to the stereotype that women are controlling hags.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. The lasso was a reference, of sorts, but to something else entirely. :P

6. There was way too much emphasis on the "Yay for America" theme.

Now see, that's exactly what I loved! ;D

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-09, 09:06 PM
I can't tell if you're joking or not. The lasso was a reference, of sorts, but to something else entirely. :P

Lol. I was trying not to go there with it. It was a triple entendre of sorts.

And I didn't have so much of a problem with the comic as with the television series. The comic was hokey, I'll admit, but the series was what really got me. There was a lot of "Oops, I need to slowly bend over in my tight, short, shorts. Hehe. By the way, respect my womanhood."

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-06-09, 09:36 PM
Jenny Sparks.

Not that any of you lot know the Authority. ;)

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:57 AM
Halo Jones. An ordinary, young woman who fights to escape a spirit crushing, empty life.
Who?

I quite liked rogue. Flight, Super Strength AND life stealing. You don't mess, you just don't.
Rogue can fly and has super strength? I thought she could only temporarily absorb the powers of others.

In comics, I'd probably choose Storm as well.
In TV I'd choose Dark Angel, I really liked that show.
I liked the show Dark Angel, but I found the character too nasty and irresonsible with her power.

Show? ??? You mean the television show with Lynda Carter? Gotta admit I've never seen it. The original WW was definitely not meant as a spoof, though. Her creators were staunch feminists.

Huh. I'm quite a prude normally, and even I don't think that shorts and a strapless tank top are terribly revealing. There are evening gowns which show just as much (or more). And compared to what today's superheroines wear, it's tame beyond belief. :o

Now see, that's exactly what I loved! ;D
The Wonder Woman tv show wasn't a spoof on feminism; rather, like Baywatch, it combined eye candy with the current trendy liberal sentiments. So Pamela Andersen might have run around giggling, but she and everybody else on the show was a dyed-in-the-wool environmentalist. Likewise the Wonder Woman show, which had Diana as a secretary for her alter ego, showed the silliness of women being restricted to being secretaries when they were capable of so much more, even as it showed off Lynda Carter's physical charms.

Earlier Wonder Woman, by the way, wore a skirt, not hot pants, which would have been too risque for an earlier generation or three. Even Wonder Woman's current outfit, however, looks prudish compared to outfits worn by some of the other superheroines, like Huntress (the JLU version and especially the comc book version, not the Birds of Prey live action version, who I might add, like Dark Angel, used her powers too irreponsibly).

I too liked the pro-USA element of the earlier Wonder Woman and Superman. It's become politically correct to hate America now--all the cool elites are doing it--so they've really toned down down the pro-America aspect of most of the traditional American superheroes. (Note that the recent comic series were named Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, rather than the original Justice League of America.)

Baloo
2006-06-10, 02:37 AM
I guess that's why they added the part of her losing her powers if she was bound by a man.

Baloo
2006-06-10, 02:43 AM
Rogue can fly and has super strength? I thought she could only temporarily absorb the powers of others.
Rogue's mutant power is to drain other people of their powers, memories, skills, etc. Normally, this drain fades pretty quickly, but during a fight with Miss Marvel (Carol Danvers), she held on for too long, draining her powers permanently. As a result, she got super-strength nearly on par with Colossus, flight, nigh-invulnerability, and a "seventh sense" that would warn her if she was in danger or something like that. She also developed something of a split personality, from having all of Danvers' memories poking around in her head. It was this that lead her to seek out the X-men, to help her cope with this.

Later, much later, she lost the Miss Marvel powers for some reason I'm not quite clear on, and only had her natural drain power. Recently, she got involved in an adventure including Sunfire who had gotten his legs chopped off by Lady Deathstrike, and asked her to absorb his powers permanently (because he was dying anyway, and his powers could at least help her escape). So now she can fly again, and project powerful plasma blasts, and things like that.

Maryring
2006-06-10, 04:39 AM
My favourite superheroine would have to be... sailor saturn. Master of death, she died... 6 times I believe? And she still came back again and again.

sun_tzu
2006-06-10, 04:58 AM
Wonder Woman rocks. So does Oracle.

warmachine
2006-06-10, 05:27 AM
Who is Halo Jones? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_Jones Only an Alan Moore script. Who's Alan... never mind.

Tarlonniel
2006-06-10, 05:30 AM
I guess that's why they added the part of her losing her powers if she was bound by a man.

No, that was to give her weakness which kinda' made sense for someone from a magical all-female society... and which played into the whole kinky bondage thing mentioned earlier. If you don't believe that they were feminisits, look it up yourself.

Iron_Mouse
2006-06-10, 06:15 AM
Sailor Pluto ;)

Dhavaer
2006-06-10, 08:18 AM
they were feminisits, look it up yourself.

Shouldn't that be he was a feminist?

Tarlonniel
2006-06-10, 08:44 AM
Shouldn't that be he was a feminist?

No - Marston and his wife were both involved in creating the character.

HypnoticMonk
2006-06-10, 09:00 AM
And from what I understand about Marston (who by the way also was the inventor of the lie detector), he, his wife and his other live-in lover/submissive were quite the kinky group. (Go back and look at the early strips he did and you will see them in a WHOLE new light...)

As far as who my favorite superheroine is, I have two answers, one serious and one not.

1) Buffy Summers (hands down)

2) Cherry Poptart (for some *ahem* obvious reasons... golf ball, garden hose... chrome off of a car's bumper... you name the metaphor)

kerberos
2006-06-10, 11:59 AM
They've all got an R in their name? :P

Ebon_Drake
2006-06-10, 04:47 PM
Jubilation Lee for the win! She has the ability to stay as a minor for decades! And make pretty sparkles!

Actually, I did kind of like her in Generation X, where she wasn't quite so annoying. Plus she's not bad when the writers remember that she can properly blow things up, not just make useless fireworks.

Gamefreakguy
2006-06-10, 04:59 PM

They've all got an R in their name? :P
X-Men series. :D I'll go with Storm too, I guess...

Majin_Gojira
2006-06-10, 06:08 PM
Another vote for Buffy.

But another shout out goes to Molly Hayes. Because Molly kicked (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/majingojira/runaways1203.jpg) Wolverine's Ass (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/majingojira/runaways1204.jpg)

(2 picks in the above links).

Yet another goes to Kitty Pryde as written by Joss Whedon.

Wisp
2006-06-10, 07:40 PM
Does Sam Carter on Stargate SG1 count as a super heroline? If so then definately her! ;D

Nerd-o-rama
2006-06-11, 01:25 AM
Agreed wholeheartedly. She may not have superpowers, but she can certainly fly and beat me up in a fight, and that's close enough.

Or if we're sticking to people with superpowers, River Tam.

CelestialStick
2006-06-11, 11:44 PM
Does Sam Carter on Stargate SG1 count as a super heroline? If so then definately her! ;D

Agreed wholeheartedly. She may not have superpowers, but she can certainly fly and beat me up in a fight, and that's close enough.

Or if we're sticking to people with superpowers, River Tam.

Yeah, I love Samantha Carter! River Tam is a rather interesting, if creepy character. I loved the scene in an episode of Firefly where she shot dead three badguys and said, "No force in the 'verse can stop me." I also loved the scene in Serenity where it looked like the Reavers had taken her down and then the doors opened and she walked in, basically unharmed, with all the Reavers dead behind her.

I like Storm too.

Still and all, when I think of superheroines, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and the original Batgirl come to mind.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-06-11, 11:46 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.

Overelemental
2006-06-11, 11:51 PM
Rogue :)
But I must admit, I like Freefall a lot as well.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-06-11, 11:58 PM
Buffy Summers, hands down. Wonder Woman a close second, and 3rd being River Tam.

CelestialStick
2006-06-12, 12:09 AM
Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.
Jack? Who is Jack?

Rogue :)
But I must admit, I like Freefall a lot as well.
Who is Freefall?

Ing
2006-06-12, 12:29 AM
You're more than entitled to your opinion, Tarlonniel, but I found Wonder Woman to be an insult to females everywhere. Here's why:

2. Wonder Woman had to wear a tight, skimpy outfit in order to get attention. She preached for women's solidarity and rights, but resorted to flashing her body like a stripper.
3. She wasted her time saving some sappy boyfriend of hers, who we all know really just wanted some Wonder Booty.
5. I personally refuse to respect anyone who changes clothing by spinning around in slow-motion.
6. There was way too much emphasis on the "Yay for America" theme. Why couldn't she have just been applauded for doing the "right thing?"

fortunatly for you then, Whedon has promised not to dress her like a stripper in his version

Ravyn
2006-06-12, 12:51 AM
I'm with The_Logic_Ninja on this one; Jenny Sparks all the way! Attitude, influence on the world, and the power was just plain awesome. I liked her title, too, and the way it was thematically used; there's just something nifty about the way they handled the "Spirit of the Twentieth Century".

Nerd-o-rama
2006-06-12, 12:57 AM
Jack? Who is Jack?
...Since you appear to have seen at least one episode of SG-1, I'm going to pretend you didn't ask this question and instead explain my comment. Or that you made a reference to a recent episode that I haven't seen.

In a few episodes in seasons 2 to 4ish, Sam randomly manifests the power to use Goa'uld technology due to a protein left in her system when Jolinar the Tokra briefly hijacked her body. Actually, I can't seem to find an example of this in Sci-Fi's episode guide, but I don't remember it ever being a major plot point. I believe she used one of those sonic wrist-shooters and a portable healing device at some point.

EDIT: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Carter) backs me up on this (see Season 2 section)

In more recent seasons, Jack O'Neill (that Jack, is who) apparently has an Ancient Gene that allows him to use certain bits of Ancient technology. Example: Moebius, season 8.

EDIT: Wikipedia further informs me that this is a common plot device in SG:Atlantis, but I'm pretty sure that Jack's the only SG-1 regular to have it.

CelestialStick
2006-06-12, 01:23 AM
I'm with The_Logic_Ninja on this one; Jenny Sparks all the way! Attitude, influence on the world, and the power was just plain awesome. I liked her title, too, and the way it was thematically used; there's just something nifty about the way they handled the "Spirit of the Twentieth Century".
Who is Jenny Sparks?

...Since you appear to have seen at least one episode of SG-1, I'm going to pretend you didn't ask this question and instead explain my comment. Or that you made a reference to a recent episode that I haven't seen.

In a few episodes in seasons 2 to 4ish, Sam randomly manifests the power to use Goa'uld technology due to a protein left in her system when Jolinar the Tokra briefly hijacked her body. Actually, I can't seem to find an example of this in Sci-Fi's episode guide, but I don't remember it ever being a major plot point. I believe she used one of those sonic wrist-shooters and a portable healing device at some point.

EDIT: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Carter) backs me up on this (see Season 2 section)

In more recent seasons, Jack O'Neill (that Jack, is who) apparently has an Ancient Gene that allows him to use certain bits of Ancient technology. Example: Moebius, season 8.

EDIT: Wikipedia further informs me that this is a common plot device in SG:Atlantis, but I'm pretty sure that Jack's the only SG-1 regular to have it.
Heh, I forgot that O'Neill's first name is Jack. My memory has been bad lately. Anyway though I remember that Daniel always called him Jack. Teal'C always called him O'Neill and Samantha usually just called him Colonel.

Yes, in SG Atlantis not only to main characters have the gene but they all know how to get it through gene therapy. :)

Also in the last season of SG-1 a former Goa'uld host also uses leftover Goa'uld technology.

Wisp
2006-06-12, 05:50 AM
Daniel is also pritty powerful. It's just impossible to keep the little bugger killed! :o Also he has a girl friend on every planet..

HypnoticMonk
2006-06-12, 01:33 PM
Read The Authority ( one of the 10 best comic books ever) if you want to know who Jenny Sparks is.

HongMaoMen
2006-06-12, 02:46 PM
Gotta say Pheonix from X-Men. Comon that was quality.

octobergirl
2006-06-12, 03:20 PM
Psylocke will always be my favorite from the X-men comics.

Kontonshin
2006-06-12, 07:59 PM
Black Canary kicks ass six ways from Sunday.

CelestialStick
2006-06-17, 11:50 PM
Psylocke will always be my favorite from the X-men comics.

Never heard of Psylocke. Was she in any of the movies?

Black Canary kicks ass six ways from Sunday.

Oh yeah, it's Black Canary. I think I called her Yellow Canary somewhere. But you never know; there could be a Yellow Canary too. ;)

octobergirl
2006-06-18, 12:47 PM
Never heard of Psylocke. Was she in any of the movies?

Yes, she was in the third movie. But I don't consider her the Psylocke I adore from the comics...Not even a million miles close. The movies totally rewrite the histories of these characters......and they completely destroyed the character of Psylocke in their representation. Here is a link where you can read all about Psylocke from the comics and then toward the end of the article is a pic of the horrible casting they did to represent Psylocke in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psylocke

CelestialStick
2006-06-18, 01:59 PM
Yes, she was in the third movie. But I don't consider her the Psylocke I adore from the comics...Not even a million miles close. The movies totally rewrite the histories of these characters......and they completely destroyed the character of Psylocke in their representation. Here is a link where you can read all about Psylocke from the comics and then toward the end of the article is a pic of the horrible casting they did to represent Psylocke in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psylocke
Thanks. What a confusing history! It gets more confusing when you add in the movie, as apparently some of the movie makers aren't even sure how that character came to bear the name of Psylocke.