PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How would you start converting Night Goblins and Squigs to 3.5?

Pika...
2010-05-15, 04:10 PM
I have been wanting to do Squigs for a LONG time now, but I have no clue how to begin with such strange creatures. Now that I need Night Goblins for my setting I figure it is time to do the lovable cute piles of fungi and teeth as well.

For those who are not familiar with these two creatures:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Goblin

Can anyone please get me started in the right direction with some ideas/pointers?

I want to keep as true to them on that link as possible.

Many Pikas in advance!

Jair Barik
2010-05-15, 04:19 PM
Depends. Are you looking to emulate Warhammer Fluff with regard to goblins or looking to fit Night Goblins in around the D&D universes existing conception of what a goblin is?

EDIT: How bout this?

* +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence –2 Strength, –2 Charisma, -2 wisdom.
* Humanoid (Goblinoid).
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 of those of Medium characters.
* A Night goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
*Light Sensitivity (Ex): Night Goblins are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
* +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and Ride checks(only when riding squigs and spiders) +2 racial bonus to craft (alchemy).
*Racial weapon proficiency (Net)
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Dwarves.
* Automatic Languages: Goblin, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
* Favored Class: Rogue.
* Level Adjustment: +0.
*Always chaotic evil

Of course this is assuming you want them statted as a playable race as opposed to monster.

Pika...
2010-05-15, 05:13 PM
Depends. Are you looking to emulate Warhammer Fluff with regard to goblins or looking to fit Night Goblins in around the D&D universes existing conception of what a goblin is?

Oops!!!

I want them to be a subrace standard Goblins, which are more intelligent, yet are still considered more insane by most (partly due to their more sadistic nature).

But definitely more to their Warhammer origin, hence a subrace.

edit:
Thanks for that stats. I will look over them when I am not swamped at the moment.

Pika...
2010-05-15, 07:30 PM
EDIT: How bout this?

* +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence –2 Strength, –2 Charisma, -2 wisdom.
* Humanoid (Goblinoid).
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 of those of Medium characters.
* A Night goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
*Light Sensitivity (Ex): Night Goblins are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
* +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and Ride checks(only when riding squigs and spiders) +2 racial bonus to craft (alchemy).
*Racial weapon proficiency (Net)
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against Dwarves.
* Automatic Languages: Goblin, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
* Favored Class: Rogue.
* Level Adjustment: +0.
*Always chaotic evil

Of course this is assuming you want them statted as a playable race as opposed to monster.

Dood, this is wonderful Thank you!!!

Now I just need the Squigs, and to figure out how to work their Magic Mushrooms. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2010-05-16, 12:15 AM
Shaman Mushroom:

The Shaman Mushroom is used by the Adepts (known as Shamans), and other divine casters of the Night Goblin race. It is a type of mushroom they guard so secretively not even the Long-Lived Races have managed to piece together their agricultural methods of producing it. In truth the Dwarves and Elves no longer bother, for they have seen the consequences of consuming it on captured Night Goblin Shamans. However, the Vampires still seek this knowledge, for they occasionally trade for these dangerous items in the hopes of quickly and cheaply increasing their powers.

The origin of these mystic shrooms is uncertain, but the Night Goblins are adamant it was a gift given to the fifth (or fourth, maybe ninth...they bicker about this bit) generation of the first Night Goblin clan by the Goblin gods themselves after their ancestors committed some great atrocity so magnificent as to have the Goblin Pantheon cheering in blood-fueled ecstasy. What exactly these Night Goblins did is also an issue of much debate (and brawls) between the Night Goblins.

Stats:
Shaman Mushrooms are an addicting mushroom which comes in various colors. If regularly consumed they grant a Divine Caster (Adept, Cleric, etc) an extra spell slot of the highest level power they can cast, and one for the lowest level they can cast. However, there are dangerous drawback to using these items.

Every time someone (caster or not) consumes a Shamon Mushroom theymust make a DC 10 Fortitude Save or become addicted to the substance.

If one becomes addicted to this substance they must consume another at least every 1d4 days or suffer the following consequences:
a) The individual takes a -1 to all saves.
b) If a caster they lose the extra spell slots.
c) The caster loses one spell slot of the highest level he can cast.

These penalties remain until the individual either consumed another Shaman Mushroom or goes through 1d8 months of withdrawal.

Mulletmanalive
2010-05-16, 03:24 AM
Basic Madcap mushrooms would probably just add the Tainted Raver template [Heroes of Horror] to the victim temporarily with a flavour towards mad enthusiasm.

That can be summarised as:

Fast Healing 3
Constant Barbarian Rage
Madness [-6 Wis, +6 Cha, Add Cha instead of Wis to Will saves]
Attempts to mindread deal damage to the reader.

Jair Barik
2010-05-16, 03:53 AM
Your PM box is full Pika. In response, yes you can use it, if you want to credit me then use my forum name.

Jack of Spades
2010-05-16, 08:11 AM
It appears that Bhu made a Squig in the critter thread at some point. That'd be here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8210725&postcount=1210)

Jair Barik
2010-05-16, 09:26 AM
I'd say youd likely want stats for a medium sized Squig as well (you can only ride creatures larger than yourself correct?)

Anonymouswizard
2010-05-16, 04:57 PM
Night goblins should get a bonus to initiative, and maybe a pentalty to checks to resist fear (looking at the profiles, they have 1 higher initiative and 1 lower leadership than goblins).

And there needs to be a feat called squig hopper.