PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Factotum?

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 05:30 PM
I seem to recall this class being on the internet somewhere. Can anyone direct me to it? My google-fu is weak.

Hendel
2010-05-15, 05:49 PM
I seem to recall this class being on the internet somewhere. Can anyone direct me to it? My google-fu is weak.

Dungeonscape page 14.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-15, 06:20 PM
It's not listed at http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0

Draz74
2010-05-15, 06:22 PM
There was a very old thread on the WotC Forums that spelled out the Factotum's capabilities, not word-for-word, but with extreme detail. Perhaps you're thinking of that? I'm pretty sure the original has bitten the dust, but here's what it said:

Factotum Class Description
Hit Die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: Medium
Saving Throws: Good Reflex
Class Skills: All
Skill Points: 6/level
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Proficient in all Simple and Martial weapons, Light armor, and shields (except tower shields). Arcane spells are casted as spell-like abilities so no arcane spell failure chance. Spells cast from other classes still suffer spell failure.
Inspiration: To represent the seemingly random body of knowledge a factotum gains inspiration points that he can spend to activate his abilities. At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of inspiration points determined by his level. (possesses 2 points to spend at 1st level, 3 to spend at 2nd level, 4 to spend at 5th level, 5 to spend at 8th, 6 at 11th, 7 at 14th, 8 at 17th, and 10 at 20th) [That's all that's said about this]
Cunning Insight (Ex): Before making an attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain a competence bonus on the roll equal to your Intelligence modifier. This does not require an action, and you can use it as often as you wish during your turn or others' turns---provided that you have the inspiration points to spend. Because this ability provides a competence bonus, it does not stack with itself.
Cunning Knowledge (Ex): When making a check involving a skill in which you have at least 1 rank, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain a bonus on the check equal to your factotum level. You can use this ability once per day for a particular skill. For example, if you use cunning knowledge to gain a bonus on a Hide check, you cannot use the ability to improve other Hide check for the rest of the day, though you can use it on different skills.
Trapfinding (Ex): Gain this at 1st level.
Arcane Dilettante (Sp): At 2nd level, you acquire a vague understanding of magic. You know that with a few weird hand gestures and an array of grunts and bizzare words, you can conjure up something that looks like a spell. By spending 1 inspiration point, you can mimic a spell as a spell-like ability.
At the start of each day, choose a number of spells from the sorceror/wizard list based on your factotum level (1 spell at 2nd level, 2 at 4th, 3 at 7th, 4 at 9th, 5 at 12th level, 6 at 14th, 7 at 17th, and 8 at 20th level). The maximum spell level you can use, according to your class level, is also shown on the table (0 level spells at 2nd, 1st level spells at 3rd, 2nd level at 5th, 3rd level at 8th, 4th level at 10th, 5th level at 13th, 6th level at15th, and 7th level at 18th). You can select any sor/wiz spell up to that level, but you can preapre only one spell of your maximum level. Your caster level equals your factotum level. The DC is 10 + spell level + Intelligence modifier.
Once you have used a spell, you cannot prepare again until rested for 8 hours. After this time, you can choose new spells and lose unused spells from previous day. Cannot prepare same spell multiple times to use it more than once in the same day. Cannot use spells that have an XP cost and must provide for material components of the spell. You can enhance spells with metamagic feats but you must be capable of using a spell of the modified spell's level.
Brains Over Brawn (Ex): At 3rd level, add your Intelligence bonus as a modifier to Strength and Dexterity checks and all skill checks that are Strength and Dexterity related.
Cunning Defense (Ex): At 3rd level, you can spend 1 inspiration point to gain your Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to AC against one opponent for 1 round. Using this is a free action. You gain this benefit even when wearing medium or heavy armor. You can use it multiple times to gain the bonus against more than one opponent, but cannot use it more than once against a single opponent during your turn.
Cunning Strike (Ex): At 4th level, can use 1 inspiration point to deal +1d6 sneak attack damage. This must be spent before the attack roll is made. Use your factotum level as your rogue level for purposes of sneak attacking those with improved uncanny dodge.
Opportunistic Piety (Su): At 5th level, can spend 1 inspiration point to channel divine energy as a standard action. Can use it to heal injuries, harm undead, or turn undead. Can use this a number of times per day equal to 3 + Wisdom bonus. Gain one extra use at 10th, 15th, and 20th level. Cannot use it if you exhausted your daily uses, even if you have inspiration points to spend.
If healing, you can heal twice your factotum level + Intelligence modifier. This deals the same amount of damage to undead.
If turning undead, you turn as a cleric of your class level. You cannot control undead.
Cunning Surge (Ex): At 8th level, you can spend 3 inspiration points to gain an extra standard action during your turn.
Cunning Breach (Su): At 11th level, you can spend 2 inspiration points as a free action to ignore a single target's spell resistance and damage reduction for 1 round.
Cunning Dodge (Ex): At 13th level, you can spend 4 inspiration points as an immediate action to ignore damage if you suffer enough damage to bring you to 0 or fewer hit points.
Improved Cunning Defense (Ex): At 16th level, you gain Intelligence bonus as a dodge bonus to AC. You do not need to spend inspiration points to gain this benefit but you do not gain it if wearing medium or heavy armor.
Cunning Brilliance (Ex): At 19th level, you can choose three extraordinary abilities at the start of each day. Each ability must be available to a standard character class at 15th level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. By spending 4 inspiration points as a free action, you gain the benefits and drawbacks of one chosen ability for 1 minute. You use the ability as if your level in the relevant class equaled your factotum level. You can use each chosen ability once per day.

I think this must be legal, since WotC let it sit on their own forums for years unchallenged. But if it's a problem, just let me know, mods, and I'll be happy to take it down.

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 06:35 PM
Thank you very much, Draz. That's exactly what I wanted.