PDA

View Full Version : A Solo Swift Hunter

strider24seven
2010-05-15, 05:36 PM
Ok, my friend wants to DM a quick test run for a solo character. So I thought of a Swift Hunter.

So it's 32-pt buy, with most books and some Dragon Mag allowed (only the issues the DM has, which is most of them). Starts ECL 8, ends probably around ECL 12-16, but the character may end up in a higher-level campaign later, so it should be playable up to level 20.

Race: Neraph
Alignment: Lawful Good
Stats: 14/14/14/14/14/10
Class: Monk 1/Scout 4/Mystic Ranger 15

Alternate Class Features: Favored Enemy (Arcanists)
Pertinant feats:
1-Stunning Fist (Monk Bonus)
1- Darkstalker
5- Swift Hunter (Scout bonus)
6- Ascetic Hunter
9- Sword of the Arcane Order
12- Nemesis (Arcanists)

I'd really like to get the Shooting Star Ranger sub levels, but I already give up my Animal Companion for Mystic Ranger, and I like Mystic Ranger better.

The general idea is to be as versatile as possible, while remaining fairly potent. This character has trapfinding, track, can detect arcanists. He also has a mean Stunning Fist and the BAB to use it. He has good spells (ranger and wizard). He can skirmish with a bow, thrown weapons, or his fists. He can switch between ranged and melee easily enough, and he is never without a weapon, but he can use all simple, martial, and monk weapons, and the annulat.

Things I've been thinking about:
Evasion- I get it at level 14 (Ranger 9), but I want it earlier so I can trade my Ranger version for Spell Reflection. I could take another Monk or Scout level, but I can't decide which. Monk nets me a feat (Combat Reflexes ftw), but Scout doesn't slow the Swift Hunter progression.

Vow of Poverty- I know it generally sucks, but since I would pump WIS and use simple and natural weapons with Intuitive attack, I really don't need many items except for a crossbow or a simple thrown weapon (which you CAN use with VoP), so I might actually get some use out of it. It reduces my versatility to get me some more oomph.

Flaws- I get have up to two, if I need extra feats

Combat Style- I could go anywhere with these. TWF gets me better melee, but Ranged gets me... well, better ranged attacks.

Wildshape Ranger Variant- Gets me extra cheese, but do I really need it if I can cast Alter Self/Polymorph from my Ranger slots with Sword of the Arcane Order and Outsider type from Neraph?

Travel Devotion- I thought about a Cloistered Cleric dip for the Knowledge, Travel, and Magic Domains, and trading Knowledge and Travel for the Devotion feats.

Prestige Classes- Most screw the Swift Hunter progression, but Stalker of Kharash looks interesting for Favored Enemy (Evil). If I go VoP, a dip in Shiba Protector might be in order.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? They're all welcome.

Note: Mystic Ranger is from Dragon Magazine 336 and is available online. (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) Sword of the Arcane order is from Champions of Valor.

Greenish
2010-05-15, 05:40 PM
Vow of Poverty- I know it generally sucks, but since I would pump WIS and use simple and natural weapons with Intuitive attack, I really don't need many items except for a crossbow or a simple thrown weapon (which you CAN use with VoP), so I might actually get some use out of it. It reduces my versatility to get me some more oomph.No spellbook for VoP character, meaning that Sword of Arcane Order would be useless.

SurlySeraph
2010-05-15, 05:52 PM
Looks good, though you might consider dropping a level each of Scout and Mystic Ranger to take dips in Cloistered Cleric and Swordsage. You obviously know how valuable Travel and Knowledge Devotion are, adding Child of Shadow Stance would give you a nice defensive boost, and 6 maneuvers would add a lot of versatility for you, especially since you could take it late in the progression to get high-power no-prereq maneuvers. Mountain Tombstone Strike is the most important of those. A second level in Swordsage might be worth giving up another level for, for the AC bonus.

As for feats, Improved Skirmish and Improved Favored Enemy are always nice if you want more damage and would be worth taking low-impact flaws for.

Eldariel
2010-05-15, 06:00 PM
Mystic Ranger casting caps out at 10 (level-wise), so no reason not to dip some in CC (by fractionals, it wouldn't even lose any extra BAB) and possibly SS. And I'd definitely consider Moon-Warded Ranger for sick Wis AC stack.

Also, I'd consider 10 Str ranged build as Swift Hunter doesn't really need Str to damage if going ranged, and you can just Polymorph or Wildshape anyways; that'd give you some focus (a 16 Dex or so). Though that's of course fairly playable. Hitting may just be an issue with straight 14s though.