PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Creature Type

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 07:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, what are you favourite types of creatures?

I like Aberrations, just because they're unique and interesting. Dragons are pretty cool too.

Greenish
2010-05-15, 07:28 PM
The fair folk, I'd say.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-15, 07:37 PM
Abberations +1. They're where the really weird stuff comes into play.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-15, 07:40 PM
Definitely aberrations. Nothing is quite as interesting as what your mind can't comprehend.

Fortuna
2010-05-15, 07:45 PM
Ia! Cthulhu (and other Aberrations) ftagn!

Lord Loss
2010-05-15, 07:47 PM
Aberrations, Undead and Plants are all tied up at first for me.

Eldariel
2010-05-15, 07:47 PM
Outsiders, or Incorporeal Undead. Embodiments of...bases of the multiverse, and...moving, bodiless consciousness respectively.

PersonMan
2010-05-15, 07:57 PM
Outsiders have the "strongest" type, but I often end up working with Abberations due to my tendency to write up stats for things I find cool pictures for.

Drakevarg
2010-05-15, 08:02 PM
Aberrations, Undead, Dragons, and Elementals, in that order.

Zeta Kai
2010-05-15, 08:55 PM
Humanoids represent! They're versatile, easy to work with, & easy on the eyes.

Amphetryon
2010-05-15, 08:59 PM
Aberrations, followed closely by Fey.

Randel
2010-05-15, 09:16 PM
Constructs - Robots or living statues!
Oozes - Oozes are cool (if a bit featureless, which adds to their appeal) many of them are acidic and I think an "Ooze apocalypse" where a massive all-consuming flood of green slime or whatever would be pretty realistic given the fact that they exist in the first place.

WildPyre
2010-05-15, 09:25 PM
Goblins for the win!

Everyone underestimates them, and they can really make a group's jaw drop when the goblins they thought would be easy pickings turn out to have class levels and tactics!

http://i39.tinypic.com/33pelbd.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/23ud4ef.jpg

awa
2010-05-15, 09:37 PM
im a big fan of Lovecraft despite his many flaws so i have to say aberration as well.

erikun
2010-05-15, 10:02 PM
Elementals are definitely my favorite. I really liked what 4e did, in turning giants and creatures like genies into elementals, too. It makes more sense then having to work with elementals and outsiders on the inner planes.

Humaniods are always common, so much so that I frequently forget to mention them. Constructs and Oozes are also high on my list of types I like.

SaintRidley
2010-05-15, 10:16 PM
Aberrations and undead.

I love them both.

AslanCross
2010-05-15, 10:20 PM
Outsiders. They can be either grunts, thralls, or deeply involved characters in the plot. They also tend to have a lot of interesting abilities.

lsfreak
2010-05-15, 10:21 PM
Humanoids, because I like tinkering with the cultures and stuff. It's an easier platform than coming up with something completely off the top of your head, but is also good because players have assumptions about them beforehand that you can mess with.

Undead because you can come up with anything, and for any of a wide variety of reasons. Benevolent undead that continue on their life's work, necromancers that use the dead to wage wars, spirits forced back by unfinished business; and they range from less than animal to brilliant leaders and tacticians. Plus there's a lot of room for homebrew, since if you find or come up with a cool idea for any other type of monsters, you can come up with the dead version too.

Dragons are probably the funnest to actually put together, but they're too powerful and complex for multiple ones to show up across a campaign, at least on the same scale and frequency as others. A combat-heavy aberration or demon-heavy campaign may run across five or ten different leaders/subleaders and dozens of different types of demons, while a campaign that's both combat-heavy and dragon-focused may only run into 4 or 5 dragons, ever.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-15, 10:29 PM
Oozes all the way! Who doesn't love fighting a blob of Jell-O?

Volthawk
2010-05-15, 10:32 PM
Dragons are probably the funnest to actually put together, but they're too powerful and complex for multiple ones to show up across a campaign, at least on the same scale and frequency as others. A combat-heavy aberration or demon-heavy campaign may run across five or ten different leaders/subleaders and dozens of different types of demons, while a campaign that's both combat-heavy and dragon-focused may only run into 4 or 5 dragons, ever.

True Dragons, sure. There are dragon mook-types around. Spawn of Tiamat, for example.

nolispe
2010-05-15, 10:36 PM
Outsiders, because they can have just as much power as nessasary, while still having depth.

Dvandemon
2010-05-15, 10:42 PM
Ooze, Aberration, Construct, Undead, Outsider, Incorporeal, Dragon and Humanoid. I like a colorful campaign

EnnPeeCee
2010-05-15, 10:43 PM
I've always liked golems and elementals, simple things. Never really been a fan of the creepy-crawlies, dark or slimys.

jokey665
2010-05-15, 11:27 PM
Fey/Aberration are pretty close to each other; I don't know which I'd pick if I had to choose one.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-15, 11:38 PM
Fey/Aberration are pretty close to each other; I don't know which I'd pick if I had to choose one.

How are this...

http://potinhodexp.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/0f5d5bce4c869e42.jpg

and this...

http://railforthevalley.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/pixie-dust.jpg

even remotely related besides the fact the first probably tried to eat the second? :smallconfused:

Mine is also aberrations. Aboleths, mind flayers, ethergaunts, tsochari, etc...love'em all.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2010-05-15, 11:46 PM
I like lovecraftian, so I'm going with outsiders. They can get all kinds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147202) of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148256) crazy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144533).

waterpenguin43
2010-05-15, 11:49 PM
I have to say I like Elementals and Fey the most.

Zeta Kai
2010-05-16, 02:01 AM
I like lovecraftian, so I'm going with outsiders. They can get all kinds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147202) of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148256) crazy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144533).

You make a compelling argument. Although I always thought that Far Realms creatures should be aberrations by default.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-16, 02:40 AM
Goblins for the win!

Everyone underestimates them, and they can really make a group's jaw drop when the goblins they thought would be easy pickings turn out to have class levels and tactics!

http://i39.tinypic.com/33pelbd.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/23ud4ef.jpg

Some of the goblins in my campaign can kick some serious ass. In fact, the most powerful NPC I've statted out so far is a goblin.

Vaynor
2010-05-16, 02:40 AM
Aberrations. Gotta love mind flayers.

WildPyre
2010-05-16, 03:31 AM
Some of the goblins in my campaign can kick some serious ass. In fact, the most powerful NPC I've statted out so far is a goblin.

Sir... I salute you! There is far too little love for goblins.

In the game I'm currently running there are the wild uncultured goblins, and the civilized ones that have removed themselves from under the rule of hobgoblins and bugbears to for their own cities. Some of my players really admire the little underdog goblin adventurers.

Volthawk
2010-05-16, 03:31 AM
Sir... I salute you! There is far too little love for goblins.

In the game I'm currently running there are the wild uncultured goblins, and the civilized ones that have removed themselves from under the rule of hobgoblins and bugbears to for their own cities. Some of my players really admire the little underdog goblin adventurers.

Eh, I prefer kobolds, personally.

WildPyre
2010-05-16, 03:37 AM
Eh, I prefer kobolds, personally.

I've always seen them as fanatical followers of dragons... while with goblins and their relation to hobgoblins and bugbears I can play up the enslavement aspect of them and their struggle to get out from under both the opression and society's reaction to them founding peaceful cities. (well as peaceful as any city in a D&D campaign.)

lsfreak
2010-05-16, 01:27 PM
How are this...

and this...

even remotely related besides the fact the first probably tried to eat the second? :smallconfused:

Close as is 'I really like these, but I also really like these. Thus they're too close to pick one that I like more.'

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-16, 02:43 PM
Fey, and (spirits) subtype ones.

Outsiders too, expecially the alignment-based ones, have a special place in my heart because of their role in most of my campaigns.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-16, 04:29 PM
For some reason I love oozes. Sure, they are either painfully easy or horrifically difficult to fight. But they have some of the nastiest surprises for dumb players, and some of the most gruesome deaths. How would you like your bones to get sucked out? Or dissolving in a living pudding of horrible acid?

The crowning jewel in one of my more recent games was when the party fought an advanced colossal teratomorph. I was a happy camper.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-05-16, 04:39 PM
Fey or Undead, followed by Aberrations (I like the Chuul in particular). I never could choose which was cooler of bewitching (Fey) and level-draining (Undead). If only there were a Fey with level-draining capabilities... Or a non-vampire Undead enchanter...

Optimystik
2010-05-16, 05:29 PM
Undead! Because you can slap it onto almost all of the others - undead plants, undead fey, undead outsiders, undead aberrations, undead dragons... :smallbiggrin:

Ormur
2010-05-16, 05:32 PM
Humanoids because I have an easier time thinking of cultures, builds and personalities for them. They're incredibly versatile but maybe that's just my limited imagination.

The Demented One
2010-05-16, 05:35 PM
Aberrations and the Undead are the most fun to homebrew for.

demidracolich
2010-05-16, 05:40 PM
Hint: my favourite creatures have to do with my username. They start with a U and ends with a ndead. Second favourite is somewhat related to my username, it start with a D and ends with a ragon.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-16, 05:41 PM
DOIN IT RONG.

I agree Abberations are cooler (awesome Aboleth art there), but why not compare this:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4720018/images/1243820290483.jpg

with this:

http://www.medbherenn.com/images/unseelie-court.jpg

Dunno bout you, but I wouldn't want to meet either of the above in a dark alley.

WarBrute
2010-05-16, 05:42 PM
Fey, elementals and... hell just plain old Humanoids

How are this...

and this...

It's a pity that the first think people think of when they hear fey is tinkerbell.

Haarkla
2010-05-16, 07:14 PM
Am I the only person who likes magical beasts?

Manticores, griffons, sphinxes, unicorns, and other stranger types, truly the stuff of fantasy.

urbanpirate
2010-05-16, 08:51 PM

Manticores, griffons, sphinxes, unicorns, and other stranger types, truly the stuff of fantasy.

i'm with ya but they take second to fey

PId6
2010-05-17, 12:26 AM
+1 for Humanoids. I like the subtlety of humanoid-oriented campaigns more so than most others.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-17, 12:11 PM
It's a pity that the first think people think of when they hear fey is tinkerbell.

I typed in fairy into google search engine. :smalltongue: It was the first thing that pops up. And I never think 'horrible creature that blablabla' when I think fairy. That's not the realm of fairies but other creature types...might be why I never use them. Also, cause elves are fairies in my mind....And I loath elves.

Greenish
2010-05-17, 12:18 PM
It's a pity that the first think people think of when they hear fey is tinkerbell.I think of Clarke's or Pratchett's fair folk.

Ruinix
2010-05-17, 12:38 PM
1- dragons.
2- constructs.
3- aberrations.
4- undeads.

but 1 the most loved to me is dracolich ^^ awesome dragon and undead is a win for me :D

Draz74
2010-05-17, 12:41 PM

They are indeed classic. I don't know why we don't see more of them, especially in Homebrew.

That said, I think my "favorite" vote has to go to Humanoids.

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-17, 12:48 PM
Constructs for me, when done well, for instance I like Shield Guardians, a Techsmith's Gondsman and Golems, but I don't like Retrievers or Homunculi.

After that, probably Humanoid (Gnome) :smallwink:

Divide by Zero
2010-05-17, 12:50 PM
I typed in fairy into google search engine. :smalltongue: It was the first thing that pops up. And I never think 'horrible creature that blablabla' when I think fairy. That's not the realm of fairies but other creature types...might be why I never use them. Also, cause elves are fairies in my mind....And I loath elves.

Fey != fairy. In many settings, the fey, fair folk, or their equivalent are just as twisted and incomprehensible as D&D's aberrations.

Greenish
2010-05-17, 01:29 PM
Teh fey: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_74.jpgSo cute, eh?

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-17, 01:44 PM
Fey != fairy. In many settings, the fey, fair folk, or their equivalent are just as twisted and incomprehensible as D&D's aberrations.

Only if people go out of their way to play them that way. The first evil fairy only showed up in what...MM2? 3? Fey and fairy are the same in my mind and they aren't so much incomprehensible as chaotic (or just crazy), with an odd way of thinking, and are bonded to nature. The only time I've ever heard of a 'Fey' that I didn't think 'Well I'll just change it's creature type to something more fitting' was the Wild Hunter guy/thing because he didn't fit anywhere else.

Fairy and fey neither impress, frighten, or entertain me in any sense really. I've never looked at a fairy (or 'fey') creature and thought 'well I have to use that in my game, just look how cool/interesting/badass it is!'. I have for almost every aberration, dragon, monstrous humaniods, construct, undead, etc. *shrug* I just don't see it.

PId6
2010-05-17, 03:17 PM
Fairy and fey neither impress, frighten, or entertain me in any sense really.
Well clearly, you've never gotten beaten down by a Mistbind Clique (http://magiccards.info/query?q=mistbind+clique&v=card&s=cname).

Draz74
2010-05-17, 03:24 PM
Fairy and fey neither impress, frighten, or entertain me in any sense really. I've never looked at a fairy (or 'fey') creature and thought 'well I have to use that in my game, just look how cool/interesting/badass it is!'. I have for almost every aberration, dragon, monstrous humaniods, construct, undead, etc. *shrug* I just don't see it.

You clearly haven't read enough fairy tales.

(And I mean real fairy tales, like before Disney got their hands on them. They're scary stuff.)

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-17, 03:43 PM
You clearly haven't read enough fairy tales.

(And I mean real fairy tales, like before Disney got their hands on them. They're scary stuff.)

I have just...*shrug* They were interesting stories, but not because of the fairies.

Eldariel
2010-05-17, 03:43 PM
To me, Fey are as awesome as they are enthralling, beautiful or hideous, frightening and fascinating. I mean, it covers everything from nymphs, dryads and sprites to leShay, master of the wild hunt and so on. Evil or good, they're most certainly chaotic natural forces with an impressive array of powers and abilities.

It's a real pity the D&D planes never contained the coexistent plane of the fey that's so staple in fantasy literature; the place accessible through various hidden locations in the untouched nature that's much like this world of ours except more...natural. Gotta homebrew that.

Oh yeah, I totally missed writing that in my entry. Add fey there for me!

Draz74
2010-05-17, 03:52 PM
It's a real pity the D&D planes never contained the coexistent plane of the fey that's so staple in fantasy literature; the place accessible through various hidden locations in the untouched nature that's much like this world of ours except more...natural. Gotta homebrew that.

There's a reason my "default" D&D cosmology is basically the 4e cosmology ... and was, even back before 4e was ever announced. :smalltongue: The Great Wheel/other pre-4e standard cosmology are awesome for Planescape campaigns ... and should stay out of other campaigns IMO.