PDA

View Full Version : Making a Parkour Thief (or something) 3.5

Noedig
2010-05-15, 10:51 PM
So this idea came to me after watching some junk on youtube.

Is it possible to build a rogue, factotum, monk, whatever to do all the craziness that is Parkour? I know feats/skill tricks exist in complete scoundrel but I want to know if it is possible to have a character that can do all of that ALL the time.

Anyone know?

Hat-Trick
2010-05-15, 10:54 PM
Max ranks in balance climb jump and tumble, get evasion and enter Thief Acrobat. Done.

Greenish
2010-05-15, 10:55 PM
Factotum is probably a good bet, with Int to dex and str skills and ability to boost skills with inspiration. Swordsage also gets the relevant skills and Leaping Dragon Stance.

Then there's the thief acrobat PrC which I recall being centered on just that.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-15, 11:03 PM
You could always try the psychic acrobat PrC from Untapped Potential (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615169244/?tag=hashemian-20). It can pull all sorts of crazy stunts.

EnnPeeCee
2010-05-15, 11:05 PM
You may want to look at the Thief-Acrobat from Song and Silence (3.0), which IMO is much better than the updated one.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-15, 11:29 PM
Related: What if you just want the Parkour part? I was actually thinking of a goliath scout going into a slightly modified version of peregrine runner.

Velden
2010-05-15, 11:45 PM
How about a Swashbukler 7/Rogue 13 with daring outlaw feat?

The swashbukler has the ability to charge through obstacles. The high BAB and hitpoints would be helpful and you donīt lose the extra sneak attack damage.

The downside would be the low Will save though...

Ravens_cry
2010-05-15, 11:48 PM
I don't think D&D has the granularity to really pull this off in too detailed terms. I pretty much see any Tumble focussing rogue as pretty much this. Maybe go Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) for some funky psionic add ons to those abilities, and fluff them as being more mundane.

Yukitsu
2010-05-15, 11:51 PM
The book complete scoundrel includes some parkour like abilities, and let you flat foot opponents whom you slide under, jump over or whatever.

alisbin
2010-05-16, 09:50 AM
psychic rogue for the neat psionic movement feats and liberal abuse of skill tricks (i think there's a feat in CS that lets you use movement skill tricks multiple times), max out the physical skills so you can do all of the "you may do this as a move/free action at a -20 penalty". thats pretty much it.

Grumman
2010-05-16, 10:01 AM
How about a Thri-Kreen Swift Hunter? That will get you the skills you want, a +30 bonus to jump checks, and a good base movement speed. There's an ACF in PHBII that lets you swap the Scout enhancement bonus to speed for a climb speed.

Redshirt Army
2010-05-16, 10:06 AM
Following the trend of Psychic Rouge, do stare at the Up The Walls feat, from either EPH or CP. (AFB) It, if I remember correctly, lets you run on walls as if they were floor, as long as you end your movement on a floor.

Lysander
2010-05-16, 10:17 AM
Wizard. Cast Overland Flight on self, then pretend that you're just jumping around and sticking landings.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-16, 10:21 AM
You may want to look at the Thief-Acrobat from Song and Silence (3.0), which IMO is much better than the updated one.
That's not allowed if you're playing in a game that uses any part of Complete Adventurer, because of WotC's update rule. I've never heard of a 3.5 game that uses 3.0 splatbooks but not the Complete books (well, not since about 2004, anyway).

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-16, 10:31 AM
Movement skill tricks from Complete Scoundrel plus Thief-Acrobat from Complete Adventurer and you're pretty much done.

Maybe a level of Barbarian for the fast movement.

valadil
2010-05-16, 10:37 AM
The trick to this character isn't the build. It's in getting your DM to make terrainful encounters that allow you to make multiple athletics type checks each round.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-16, 12:12 PM
The trick to this character isn't the build. It's in getting your DM to make terrainful encounters that allow you to make multiple athletics type checks each round.
Multiple athletics checks is a problem with skill tricks, since these are normally limited to 1 use per encounter.

arguskos
2010-05-16, 12:16 PM
Multiple athletics checks is a problem with skill tricks, since these are normally limited to 1 use per encounter.
I believe valadil's point was that, interestingly enough, Jump/Climb/Tumble checks are not thusly limited. :smallwink:

EnnPeeCee
2010-05-16, 05:12 PM
That's not allowed if you're playing in a game that uses any part of Complete Adventurer, because of WotC's update rule. I've never heard of a 3.5 game that uses 3.0 splatbooks but not the Complete books (well, not since about 2004, anyway).

That is the official rule, yes. But it may be worth asking the DM to let it slide.

Optimystik
2010-05-16, 05:20 PM
Factotum is probably a good bet, with Int to dex and str skills and ability to boost skills with inspiration. Swordsage also gets the relevant skills and Leaping Dragon Stance.

You could always try the psychic acrobat PrC from Untapped Potential (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615169244/?tag=hashemian-20). It can pull all sorts of crazy stunts.

These two suggestions actually work beautifully together, because Psychic Acrobats get Int to AC, Jump, Balance. Swim, Tumble and Climb checks. A Factotum also has all the required skills as class skills. (You'll probably have to be a psionic creature like a Xeph though.)

Curmudgeon
2010-05-16, 06:01 PM
I believe valadil's point was that, interestingly enough, Jump/Climb/Tumble checks are not thusly limited. :smallwink:
Yes, but all the skill tricks based on those skills are limited. So you can make all the Jump and Climb checks you want, but you can only get the benefit of Corner Perch, Speedy Ascent, or Wall Jumper tricks, which use those skills, once per encounter. Bare Jump and Climb checks don't give the sorts of acrobatic maneuvers that skill tricks add.

Harperfan7
2010-05-16, 06:33 PM
Complete Scoundrel skill tricks and feats.

Expeditious Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz, Improved Skirmish, Acrobatic Strike and so on are all good to have for this type of build.

Scout is a good class with movement based combat and all the skills you want.

Swordsage mixes well with scout when it comes to moving and skirmishing, due to the maneuvers that allow you instant movement (sudden leap for example).

Thief-Acrobat is a must.

Maybe even take Transmuter/Swiftblade for movement based spells and further skirmishing/speed abilities.

Heliomance
2010-05-16, 07:33 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150357

I had this idea a while back, and made that. The Scout ACF in Dungeonscape gives a climb speed, which is wonderful for the concept, and the swordsage levels mean they can still hold their own in battle, as well as giving a bunch more movement stuff.