PDA

View Full Version : My Book Is Devouring My Soul

Soterion
2010-05-15, 11:13 PM
It's the Bataan Death March of books. Six months, so far, and I still have another 150 pages to go and 15,000 words to transcribe. Must write, can't write. This is pathetic. Never will I see my name on the cover of a paperback in the 3 for 50 cents bin at the local used bookstore. Somebody put me out of my misery--or better yet, put my book out of its misery. Why can't I write? Why must I suffer so? Why for my book not finished? Howcum me am losing teh english? Aaarrrrgh! KREEGAH! BUNDALO!

Flickerdart
2010-05-15, 11:15 PM
Go to a retreat? Rent some office space somewhere once a week and go there to write?

icastflare!
2010-05-15, 11:16 PM
Take a break. too much stress makes people go crazy.

FoE
2010-05-16, 12:02 AM
Let me guess: you have the story all planned out, but the damn words just won't instantly appear on the page and you're just so bloody tired of writing. I know that feeling.

Soterion
2010-05-16, 12:23 AM
Yes, precisely, and why hasn't Steve Jobs developed some sort of iMind neuraliterary link-up for this? Falling asleep at the switch, are we, Steve?

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:28 AM
Oooooh, writing a book are we? Are you on a time limit with a deal already made, or are you just trying to get it done in time for a personal goal? :smallconfused:

FoE
2010-05-16, 12:37 AM
Yes, precisely, and why hasn't Steve Jobs developed some sort of iMind neuraliterary link-up for this? Falling asleep at the switch, are we, Steve?

Couldn't we download our personalities into some kind of typing robot for about six months? I swear, I'll switch back before I go insane and try to conquer the world.

Ashtar
2010-05-16, 05:52 AM
Alex Haley's work on the novel Roots involved ten years of research, intercontinental travel and writing. It was published in 37 languages, and Haley won a Special Award for the work in 1977 from the Pulitzer Board.

Some Authors get block which are other stories (or short stories) trying to come out (Laurrell Hamilton for example), she also uses music to get herself into the "writing zone", some Authors (Dan Abnett) write a thousand words every morning, just to get the words flowing, even if it's his shopping list, what other people are doing around him or what the characters in the novel are doing in their downtime.

My father took about 40 years to write and get published, and since has gotten 3 others out of the door and into the world.

So sometimes, it takes an effort to bring out something. Keep on, be brave and try to write something every morning, even if it's not related.

If you want, you can! :smallbiggrin: Good luck and stick to it.

KataraAltinaII
2010-05-16, 06:04 AM
oohh.. I know all about book-writing. I've been in your boat before. what you do is just take a break and let your mind relax. usually when I do that, I typically get new ideas anyways.

Telonius
2010-05-16, 06:20 AM
All I can say is, keep at it. The feeling you get when it's done will absolutely be worth it.

Soterion
2010-05-16, 09:21 AM
Oooooh, writing a book are we? Are you on a time limit with a deal already made, or are you just trying to get it done in time for a personal goal? :smallconfused:

Just trying to get it done, period. It haunts me, this book, it haunts me! And I'm in this for the personal satisfaction and sense of achievement that comes from knowing you've created a crappy novel.

"It's the eye of the writer, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our novel."

T-O-E
2010-05-16, 09:44 AM
I'm guessing this is how Abdul Alhazred felt when he penned his magnum opus.

Tyrandar
2010-05-16, 10:03 AM
Let me guess: you have the story all planned out, but the damn words just won't instantly appear on the page and you're just so bloody tired of writing. I know that feeling.

This is my problem verbatim.

Have you tried breaking it up into little chunks?

Dogmantra
2010-05-16, 10:41 AM

Wait, that's not the default feeling of a writer? Man, I feel lied to. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-05-16, 10:45 AM
I'm guessing this is how Abdul Alhazred felt when he penned his magnum opus.

I don't know... that book wasn't really fiction, was it?

Symmys
2010-05-16, 01:49 PM
I don't know... that book wasn't really fiction, was it?

Yes, it was. Everyone knows it was just a cheap rip-off of the Necrotelinomicon.

Soterion
2010-05-16, 11:16 PM
Another five hundred words, and I've reached the end of the chapter and the end of this third of the novel. Thanks, y'all.

KataraAltinaII
2010-05-16, 11:40 PM
glad we could help :smallsmile:

Catch
2010-05-17, 12:53 AM
To paraphrase John Gardner - whose book On Becoming a Novelist should be read by anyone who seriously considers the idea of writing a novel - "There is the soul of a peasant in every good novelist."

It's not about inspiration.
It's not about creativity.
It's not about intellect.

It is, however, work, and the hardest work you will ever do. Because no taskmaster knows how to flagellate a writer better than himself.

Adumbration
2010-05-17, 01:04 AM
Stop scaring me, people. I'm considering starting to write a novel after my exams are over. :smalltongue:

2010-05-17, 01:42 AM
from what i can tell writing is the most horrible torture that can be wrought on someone without a massive conspiracy a source of electricity or certain industrial tools. but in a good way.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-17, 02:48 PM
Stop scaring me, people. I'm considering starting to write a novel after my exams are over. :smalltongue:

You'll be lucky if you come out of the novel alive, let alone sane. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-05-17, 03:04 PM
You'll be lucky if you come out of the novel alive, let alone sane. :smalltongue:

I did NaNoWriMo last year. Lost an eye.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-17, 03:51 PM
I did NaNoWriMo last year. Lost an eye.

Lucky are those who remeber the great Story War of last year.
Lucky because so few came out alive.