PDA

View Full Version : Woo, sub-plot!

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:34 AM
Sub-plot for one player doing off-screen stuff...

---

Archilius examines the door. There's a simple engraving that says "Here ties Tybal the Enchanter: Looters Beware.

No seriously, you gonna die."

Saldre
2010-05-16, 12:38 AM
"...- Personal challenge perhaps? Well, No pain- no gain."

Archilius pokes the door with a stick, if nothing happens he'll try chucking pebbles and stones at it. If all of that doesn't anything, he'll setup camp nearby, deciding he's better off dealing with this in the morning.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:43 AM
Nothing happens. Its just a door, or at least, its not obviously cursed...

Before long, Arch has a small campfire set up and his bedroll laid out. He quickly falls asleep, dreaming about what wonders await him in the cave...

The sun rises the next morning, and Archilius awakens spry and ready for action.

If you want to check for traps or curses, try a skill check. Arcana detects magic, Thievery and Dungeoneering detect traps, and Perception can detect triggers. In this case, you'd use Arcana to sense a curse, or Thievery to check for traps.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 12:46 AM
"Now let's take a look-see at this, shall we!"

Archilius leans over the door and begins to examine it for traps and triggers, of both arcane and physical in nature.

[roll0] For Arcana, [roll1] for Thievery.]

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:48 AM
Its not cursed, nor is it trapped, as far as you can tell.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 12:50 AM
"That's that- Now to pick up my new gear, I am sure the fellow won't mind. After all, he won't be needing any of it anymore."

Archilius pushes the door open.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:57 AM
The door opens to reveal a sandstone hallway, about 30 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 10 feet long. There are three torches set along the walls on either side, casting a flickering orange glow over the stone room. At the end of the hall there is an old wooden door set into a stone doorway.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 01:02 AM
"This is conspicuously fishy- lit torches? long empty hallway? First thing's first!"

Archilius will go back outside, and collect some rocks- his "Just in case" stack. You never know when you might need a rock or two. Then, he grabs a sturdy stick as well. Once he has his gear, he'll move back to the hallway and begin examining it for traps as well- he throws a few stones inside before he advances, just to be sure- then proceeds while waving his stick ahead of him so as to trigger something before he actually walks into it.

You mentioned three different skills:

[roll0] for another Arcana- [roll1] for a Perception, and finally- [roll]1d20+2[roll] for a thievery. Frick! See other OoC Thread!

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 01:15 AM
Ker-chunk.

For a brief instance, Arch feels like he's falling.

Then he hits the ground.

Slightly winded, he realizes that he just fell through a pit-fall trap. A hidden panel set in the floor gave way beneath him, and dropped him about 10 feet down to the pit-floor below. Nothing major, just annoying...

You take 4 damage. Athletics check to crawl out.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 01:17 AM
"Round One goes to you- Mister Tybal The Enchanter..."

Grumbling, Archilius rubs his backside- and begins to carefully climb out of the hole.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 01:23 AM
With a quick jump and a firm grip, Arch manages to escape from the pit-fall trap. He's now in the center of the hallway, on the side of the pit towards the wooden door.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 01:27 AM
"What are the odds of him trapping the same hallway twice? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0043.html)"

Archilius's logic has, in his opinion, rarely failed him. He continues down the hallway and opens the door.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 01:37 AM
The door was already cracked open slightly, and as Arch opens it, a bucket of hatchets hits the ground next to him. It had been resting atop the partially open door, but by sheer luck it fell at the right angle for none of the hatchets to fall out and hit Archilius.

The next room is a set of stairs, which descends downward at a modest angle for about 30 feet.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 03:20 AM
"Its one-one now. But its my move!"

Archilius presses the stick on the first step of the stairwell, then leans his head forward to look for any triggers. He'll check the spot over his head once he crosses the door for any latches- should a giant boulder decide to drop off from it. If he spots nothing immediately evident, he'll slowly walk down the stairwell, waving his staff ahead of him like a blind man and tapping it against the walls.

[roll0] Arcana, [roll1] Thievery and [roll2] Perception!

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 12:57 PM
There is nothing threatening about the stairs. Or so it seems...

Saldre
2010-05-16, 01:05 PM
Archilius strolls down the stairs, humming a merry tune.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 01:14 PM
Nothing happens. At the bottom of the stairs, there's a closed wooden door.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 02:27 PM
"This is too easy!"

Archilius reaches for the handle, ready to open the door- when he remembers the hatchets from earlier.

"Can't fool me twice!"

He turns the handle on the door and opens it -just a tiny crack-, stepping back he'll push the rest of it open with the stick.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 02:31 PM
The door opens. Nothing happens...

Saldre
2010-05-16, 02:37 PM
"You got me there- but that doesn't count for a point."

Archilius walks across the doorway.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 02:40 PM
Its another 30 foot hallway. Sandstone walls and floor, torches along the wall, vaulted ceiling, everything the same as the first hallway...

Saldre
2010-05-16, 02:45 PM
"Ahh, so its that kind of game is it now..."

Archilius advances slowly- but this time, he is ready for the traps! He exerts some pressure with the stick first, then his foot, on each step he takes before he actually advances, hoping to trigger the trap before he actually steps on the tile with both feet.

Furthermore, he keeps alternates between looking to the top of the hallway as well, thinking that something might descend from above.

[roll0] Thievery and Perception [roll1]

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 02:48 PM
There are no pressure plates or things on the ceiling. As far as Arch can tell, the hallway is clean.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 02:51 PM
Archilius whistles as he goes down the hallway, prancing about to his inevitable demise.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 03:14 PM
Twang.

The taught wire set across the hallway snaps as Archilius' feet trod over it. A short instant later, the Warlock hears a squeek. Followed by another squeek. Which is followed by several more squeeks.

And then the weasels attacked.

Or, more accurately, were launched. All along the hallway, plaster caps pop off of small openings. Shortly thereafter, spring loaded launching mechanisms hurl dire weasels from the oppenings towards whatever poor soul is in their path. And unfortunately, Archilius is in the path of 5 Dire Weasels. They quickly dig their fangs into his flesh, and latch on to his arms and legs. They begin to gnaw ferociously at him, hanging on for dear life with their little weasel paws.

You get hit with 5 Weasels, which deal 6 damage. You're now Slowed, and take 1d4 damage each round the weasels are attached. Save ends both.

In other words, roll a D20 in the OOC thread. If you get 10 or higher, you get the weasels off. 9 or lower, and you'll have to deal with 1d4 damage and latched on weasels for another round. :smalltongue:

Saldre
2010-05-16, 04:11 PM
"Weasels! Curse you Enchanter! Cuuuurse yoouuuu!"

Archilius whacks the weasels on his robe, trying to throw them off as he advances.

[roll0] to save- can I use dire radiance to get them off?

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 08:20 PM
The weasels continue to gnaw furiously, and as Archilius staggers his way down the hall, he leaves a light trail of blood in his wake.

You lose another 5 HP. Make a saving through, or it will carry over again.

You could, theoretically. But there's a chance you'll do damage to yourself as well... :smalleek:

And no this isn't payback for anything. I've had the dire weasel trap planned for days... :smallwink:

Saldre
2010-05-16, 08:24 PM
"Bah! Enough with the Weasels!"

Archilius had gotten burned before- a consequence of his constant playing with fire- it couldn't possibly be worse than being eaten alive. Shaking off the weasels, heat begins to radiate off his body- and a light flame surrounds him.

Here's a save- [roll0] and what exactly do I throw to activate dire brilliance? Here's a d20- [roll1]- [roll2] For damage.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 08:35 PM
For one brief instant, Archilius is surrounding by a vibrant light, his ears ringing with the roar of fire and the shrieks of agonized vermin. The next, he is standing unscathed, charred little weasel skeletons dangling from his arms and legs. They quickly crumbled to dust, and scatter into the light wind created by the fwoosh of Arch's arcane flames.

The Warlock, however, is unscathed...

Nice rolls. :smallwink:

Saldre
2010-05-16, 08:40 PM
"That's a point for me- 1-2 I'd say."

Dusting himself off, he continued down the hallway smiling, rather pleased with his exploit. He hated weasels, and had done the world a favor: he'd probably be praised for it later on.

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 08:55 PM
There's a wooden door at the end of the hall. Its cracked slightly.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 10:32 PM
"What's with this guy and doors?"

Archilius opens it, completely forgetting his misadventure with the hatchets.

"If its more weasels..."

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 10:39 PM
Its not.

Its just another hallway.

Yet another 30-foot hallway, this time with a large pit about 5 feet in front of the door at the end of the hall.

[=========o=]

Saldre
2010-05-16, 11:40 PM
"Ahhh- the old fake pit trick, it'll take more than that to get me."

He repeats the procedure from before, carefully checking for another pit ahead of him.

Oh please let me roll well for once on these tests instead of tanking trough every single trap :P [roll0] (Thievery) [roll1] (Perception)

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 11:45 PM
Archilius can find nothing wrong with the floor of this room... The pit has to be hopped over before he can check the other side, though.

Saldre
2010-05-16, 11:48 PM
"Oh no no- I won't "Fall" For that!"

Snickers at his own joke. First, he throws a rock into the hole. If nothing happens, he'll climb down then climb over the side.

[roll0] Athletics!

Lycan 01
2010-05-16, 11:52 PM
Nothing happens when he throws the rock in. Archilius then crawls down into the hole. Its just a simple 10-foot deep pit.

Athletics test to crawl out. Or was that previous test for your crawl out, and not your crawl in? :smallconfused:

Saldre
2010-05-17, 01:00 AM
It was for my crawl in!

He crawls out.

[roll0]+2... but i don't think thats going to matter...

Lycan 01
2010-05-17, 01:07 AM
Aftering trying to climb out of the pit, Archilius loses his grip on the stone walls and falls back down. As he plummets, he smacks his head, nearly knocking himself out. Pausing to regain his senses, the Warlock's head eventually stops spinning enough for him to try again...

You can try again if you want. You lost 9 HP in the fall though. :smalleek:

As far as healing goes, you can spend healing surges to recover HP. Since we're doing "storyline time" instead of "turn time" you can just spend them at will. When you spend a Surge, you regain your Surge value in HP. But be careful - you only have a limited amount per day!

Saldre
2010-05-17, 03:32 PM
"@#$%%&@%$#!!"

That lousy enchanter and his lousy traps- once he was done with this place, Archilius would make sure he left nothing behind: he'd even scatter the ashes to the winds....

Grumbling loudly, he climbed out of the hole with the renewed vigor.

Ima spend a surge- after all, that's what they are there for! [roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-17, 04:40 PM
Fueld by his rage and frustration, the Warlock leaps clear of the pit and lands flawlessly in front of the door!

Saldre
2010-05-17, 04:45 PM
Archilius gives the door a nasty look, then extends his hand towards it- sending flames running over it. He attempts to completely and utterly reduce it to ashes, so he won't even have to touch it.

[roll0] To hit, and [roll1] for any of my fire abilities I believe.

Lycan 01
2010-05-17, 06:10 PM
The wooden door is instantly consumed by fire. The orange flames engulf it, charring and blackening the wood quickly. However, as the doorknob begins to melt, you see sparks and arcs of energy begin to dance on its surface. An instant later - the door explodes.

You set off the curse on the door, though not in the way it was meant to be activated. Thus, you get a Reflex save to avoid the flaming debris, and another Reflex save to avoid being thrown back into the pit. So yeah, roll 2 d20's... :smalleek:

Saldre
2010-05-17, 06:38 PM
As the door explodes, Archilius reacts with lightning reflexes: with a wave of his cloak, a barrier of flames circles him- swallowing both the wooden debris and the explosion, before fading away in a trail of smoke.

Though covered with a bit of soot, Archilius remains unharmed. Dusting himself off, he continues across the door.

Lycan 01
2010-05-17, 07:54 PM
The next area is a set of stairs. Just a straight descend down, stretching on for hundreds of feet. Much like the sandstone stairs encountered earlier on, only much, much longer...

Saldre
2010-05-18, 12:18 AM
"You know, in another place- at another time- I am sure we could have been good friends."

Archilius goes down the stairwell, humming a merry tune.

Lycan 01
2010-05-18, 01:11 AM
Kertwang.

Not even a fifth of the way down the stairs, Archilius' feet suddenly catches on something. Its a wire. A taught, thick copper wire. It puts up resistance, but still snaps from the force of his forward momentum. But that sudden stopping motion then lack of resistance throws the Warlock off balance.

And he falls.

Thump! Fwack! Whump! Kurbrunk! Wham!

Down the stairs he rolls and bounces, gaining bruises and scratches along the way. After a few seconds of bouncing, he can already tell he's gonna be sore in the morning...

-4 HP.
Reflex save to stop yourself. Otherwise, you're gonna keep bouncing next round... :smalltongue:

Saldre
2010-05-18, 11:55 PM
"#@#$%!%$@#$%@&!"

Archilius' swearing echoes across the walls as he tumbles down the rabbit hole. Tumbling, he attempts to hang on to the edges- or anything really, as to stop himself.

[roll0] I believe with my pluses I pass :P

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 12:52 AM
More stairs, more bouncing, more bruises.

Arch takes [roll0] damage. Roll another save to try and catch yourself! :smalleek:

On the plus side, you're half way down the stairs now...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 12:54 AM
Archilius tumbles down...

[roll0]- my reflex save is at fifteen though, I don't know what that means :P

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 12:55 AM
And tumble he does.

That's your defense. A save is a roll of 10 or higher on the D20.

[roll0] damage

Try again before you get to the last 3rd of the stairs. :smalleek:

Saldre
2010-05-19, 12:56 AM
He hopes to catch himself...

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 01:08 AM
Archilius doesn't catch himself. Instead, he manages to kick off at the right angle, sending himself into an airborne backflip. He spirals through the air above the stairs, then lands perfectly on the last step, just a few feet from the door.

Saldre
2010-05-19, 02:30 AM
Dusting himself off, Archilius grins- "Just as planned."

Remembering the previous door and the explosion, he closes his eyes and concentrates on finding any lingering magical energies.

If he finds nothing- he proceeds to burn up the door, intending to keep his earlier promise to the enchanter.

[roll0] Arcana, And here's the fire (If there's no trap): [roll1] and [roll2]

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 12:40 PM
Archilius is unable to sense any magical energies. Perhaps his concentration is off? This may be the case, since he's unable to focus enough to activate his fire spell...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 12:43 PM
"I will just burn it on my way out then-"

Though the jump at the end of his fall was well perfect, it did not make the pain in his lower backside go away, which annoyed him considerably and kept him from concentrating.

He opens the door instead.

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 01:03 PM
Archilius should have noticed the door was cracked.

Sure enough, it was another bucket trick. Only this time, its a liquid that splashes down onto the Warlock, the bucket landing next to his feet. A short instance later - the liquid bursts into flames.

Saldre
2010-05-19, 08:54 PM
"I wonder- is this Ironic?"

Archilius can't help but stifle a laugh, though his robes quickly catch fire. He turns his cloak over himself, wrapping it around his body as he tries to smother the flames.

Then, he drops and rolls- having gotten used to the procedure after years of playing with fire- and occasionally getting it all over himself.

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 09:02 PM
The flames wreath the Warlock, even as he rolls on the ground. But as they spread over his whole body, he realizes something. The fire isn't actually burning him. Instead - it tingles.

In fact, its the same sort of annoying tingle that one feels when their foot or arm falls asleep, then starts to wake back up. Everywhere there is fire, the flesh beneath tingles! Its not dangerous... but it IS annoying.

Yay for Tingle Napalm! :smallbiggrin:

Arcana check to dispel it...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 09:27 PM
"The real thing feels much better..."

Archilius closes his eyes and concentrates on dispelling the annoying tingle.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 09:29 PM
Its hard to concentrate when your whole body is tingling uncomfortably...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 09:33 PM
"-If I burn his corpse here, will he feel this same tingle in the afterlife?"

Such philosophical questions distract Archilius from his plight- and he struggles to move forward on wobbly legs, waiting to get accustomed to the curse so that he can dispel it as soon as possible.

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 09:37 PM
He can move, just with a slight stagger. Other than a little numbness and the sheer amount of annoyance, this spell is relatively pointless. Although Archilius DOES look like a human funeral pyre...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 10:22 PM
Though slightly enjoying his new look, Archilius is still annoyed by the tingling.

Unfortunately, it takes only a few seconds for him to sigh in a mixture of annoyance and disappointment.

The fire isn't real, and he knows it- It just wasn't the same, he couldn't- no, he wouldn't- live the lie.

He waves his hand across his clothe, attempting to dispel the flames once more.

If successful, he'll move on at a faster past, further sighing in disappointment. Hopefully the enchanter would use real fire next time- it would make for a nicer show.

[roll0] If i get to try again...

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 10:23 PM
With a few flickers, the illusionairy fire dies out, and takes the tingly sensation with it...

The new room Archilius is in is just a short 10 foot hallway with another door at the end.

Saldre
2010-05-19, 11:06 PM
"Let's not take anymore chances."

Firstly, Archilius will scan the room for any residual magical energy. If he senses nothing, he'll simply burn the door from his current location- far away from it from it.

[roll0] For Arcana- [roll1] [roll2] for the fire and the door- better to bulldoze my way trough this thing :P

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 11:18 PM
There's no magic in the room. There's no door anymore, either.

Saldre
2010-05-19, 11:24 PM
"Almost there, I can feel it."

Archilius walks across the room and exits it, carefully watching his step for triggers and pressure plates.

here's a thievery- [roll0] and a perception [roll1]

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 11:31 PM
Yet again, another hallway. Just like all the others, its about 10x30 feet, only this time the pitfall trap is already triggered. Its in the direct center of the hallway, and there's another difference. The door at the end of the hallway appears to be made of stone...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 11:36 PM
Archilius moves to the hole, paying attention to traps along the way. When he reaches it, he'll repeat what he did last time- climbing down one side, then up the other.

When he reaches the other side, he'll examine the door for magical energy. If he finds nothing, he'll tap it a few times to determine its integrity.

[roll0] For Thievery- [roll1] for perception, two climbs, one in and one out: [roll2]/[roll3] and lastly, Arcana: [roll4].

Once everything unfolds, we'll see what happens!

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 11:43 PM
Poor Archilius should have paid more attention. Hoping into the pit, he quickly realizes that he's made a mistake, as the spell at the bottom of the pit takes affect. Before he even hits the ground, the gravity in the pit has been reversed, and he's flying back towards the ceiling. Which he hits, hard. After smacking the ceiling, the spell ceases to affect him, and he begins to fall back towards the pit.

Archilius takes [roll0] damage, and he may either take a Reflex save or Acrobatics test to grab onto an edge of the pit before he falls back into it.

Saldre
2010-05-19, 11:46 PM
"You know, why didn't I throw a rock in there before I climbed down? and it was such a good climb too-"

He extends his hands to grab onto the ledge- hoping to full another perfect landing.

I think I get a +2 for acrobatics- but i am not sure for Reflex. So i am going for acrobatics! [roll0]+2

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 11:50 PM
Archilius manages to grab onto a ledge with his flailing limbs, and quickly clambers back onto the hallway floor before the spell kicks back in. But somehow he manages to end up back on the side he started from. He'll have to find some way to get across the pit, perhaps be jumping with enough force or by dispelling the enchantment...

Saldre
2010-05-19, 11:51 PM
Not being one to allow a measly spell to stand in his way, Archilius extends his hand towards the pit and wills the spell guarding it away.

[roll0]- and I had rolled a nat 20 earlier! noooo!

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:01 AM
The hints of gentle breeze Arch feels on his hand tell him that he failed his attempts to kill the spell.

Saldre
2010-05-20, 12:02 AM
"Time for plan B..."

Archilius walks back, takes a running start- and jumps over the pit.

[roll0].... Really? Any fate points in this game?

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:04 AM
Nope. :smallamused:

Arch gets about a foot off the ground before he's slammed bodily against the ceiling. He then begins to plummet again, arms flailing wildly.

[roll0] damage, and once again you may take a Reflex or Acrobatics test.

That didn't knock you out, did it? :smalleek:

Saldre
2010-05-20, 12:06 AM
"...."

It seems Archilius' luck has taken a turn for the worst. But this only fuels his rage, and rekindles his spirit. He wasn't going to let a stupid enchanter get the better of him.

Acrobatics- [roll0] and a spend two surges. Editing my sheet.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:12 AM
Surges can only be spent during rests, or by using your Second Wind during combat. You can't just say "I spend 2 Surges" during an action scene, unless you drink a potion, use your Second Wind, or get healed by somebody else. But in this case, I'll let you do it. :smalltongue:

You'll need the HP. :smalleek:

Actually, wait, no you don't. You made the DC with your +2 Acro mod. :smallbiggrin: To get back on the original side, at least...

Archilius, winded and bruised, manages to dig his claws into the side of the pit and quickly crawl to safety. But once again, he's back on the side he started from...

Saldre
2010-05-20, 12:17 AM
"Enough's enough- lousy enchanter."

Once more, Archilius extends his hand towards the pit and tries to dispel the trap. If he fails, he will sit down to rest.

[roll0]- If I cant arcana, then I will rest so that I can use my health surges, then Arcana after!.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:21 AM
No luck. Archilius sits down to rest, recovering his strength and relaxing his mind for a short while...

Spend as many surges as you want, then try again.

If you want to "save time", you can Take 10 or Take 20. Basically, instead of rolling dice, we just skip ahead a certain amount of time, and say you auto-rolled a 10 or 20. If you want to take 10, you'll spend the next half hour or so "rolling" until you "get" a 10 + mod. Or you can "spend" an hour or so, and "roll" a 20 + mods. Or you can just keep trying every few minutes with normal rolls. Your choice. :smalltongue:

Saldre
2010-05-20, 12:27 AM
Once up and ready, Archilius tests his newly recovered powers against the trap. He extends his hand towards it, hoping to dispel it.

[roll0]- If it survives, I guess I can take 20 to move along.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:37 AM
Unable to concentrate enough for it, Archilius fails to dismiss the spell.

Saldre
2010-05-20, 12:40 AM
Considerably more hot-heated then an inanimate Object, Archilius continues- resting a minute or so, then blasting the spell again.

[roll0]- If it fails, rest a few minutes, try again: [roll1] and if That fails- take 20.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 12:43 AM
Archilius' next attempt works, and after a few tense seconds, the breeze dissipates...

Saldre
2010-05-20, 02:49 PM
Archilius climbs down and then up the other side of the hole, crossing the gap- then pushes the stone door open.

[roll0]/[roll1]

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 09:53 PM
Whump.

Archilius slips and falls on his butt while trying to climb out. Better make another attempt...

Saldre
2010-05-20, 10:03 PM
"This better be damned worth it!"

Dusting himself off, Archilius climbs out of the dungeon, while playing out the events how they should have happened in his head- once he was out of here, he had to be sure to have an appropriate story to tell anybody who would ask and all of this falling was unbecoming.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 10:14 PM
Assuming you took 20, then?

After several tries, Archilius eventually climbs out of the pit and crosses the hall. He gets to a large stone door. It appears to be marble...

Saldre
2010-05-20, 10:16 PM

I forgot to roll... but it doesn't matter at this point :P At least, I hope not.

Archilius pushes the door open.

Lycan 01
2010-05-20, 10:34 PM
Its a small marble-walled room. About 10 x 10 feet, it seems more like a janitor's closet than part of a dungeon. In fact, there's a bucket of water in one corner. Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a door on any of the walls...

Saldre
2010-05-23, 01:57 PM
[OOC: Sorry about the delay!]

Archilius walks into the room, scanning it for lingering magical energy. He moves towards the bucket, watching the room for triggers and traps. he throws a pebble into the water bucket.

Here's Arcana- [roll0], Perception- [roll1] & Thievery [roll2]

Lycan 01
2010-05-24, 12:26 AM
The room is just a simple white marble storage area, it seems. However, the ceiling is quite high - over 20 feet. And there seems to be the faint outline of an opening on the ceiling...

The room itself is not magical. However, you get a strange feeling about the bucket... Though nothing happens when you drop the pebble into it.

Saldre
2010-05-24, 02:10 PM
Archilius dips a stick into the water this time to see how deep it goes.

Lycan 01
2010-05-25, 09:27 PM
The water is as deep as the bucket.

Saldre
2010-05-25, 09:35 PM
"I... hate... getting... wet..."

Archilius puts his hands together and takes out a bit of the water, throwing on the floor. If nothing happens, he'll empty out the bucket- leaving a tiny bit behind.

Lycan 01
2010-05-26, 01:04 AM
The water spreads out across the floor, forming a thin layer from wall to wall. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to be leaking out from under the door...

Because the door has locked in place, forming an airtight seal.

There's a few inches of water left in the bucket. Its just sitting there.

Saldre
2010-05-27, 12:32 AM
"This is probably going to suck."

Archilius moves to the center of the room and drops the remaining water on the floor, readying himself for the inevitable rise to the top- or the horrible unexpected trap that would instead surprise him.

Lycan 01
2010-05-27, 12:59 AM
Archilus pours out the last of the water. Holding the bucket upside down, nothing else falls out aside from the rock he'd dropped in there earlier...

Saldre
2010-05-27, 01:01 AM
"Bah! Wait! Why isn't this going up!? now what!?"

He jumps a few times up and down, splashing in the water.

Lycan 01
2010-05-27, 01:40 AM
The water splashes on the walls. Archilius now has very wet feet.

What did you do with the bucket?

Saldre
2010-05-27, 01:47 AM
Archilius has dropped the bucket into the water as he throws his temper-tantrum.

Lycan 01
2010-05-27, 02:31 AM
The bucket rolls idly on its side in the water. The room is silent, with about an inch of water on the floor...

Saldre
2010-05-27, 11:45 PM
"...."

Archilius begins to experiment with the bucket- he puts it over his head, he stands in it, he stands on it, he even tries to refill it with water.

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 12:41 AM
When Archilius picks the bucket back up and rights it, he is surprised to find that it has rapidly refilled itself, almost in the blink of an eye.

Saldre
2010-05-28, 12:45 AM
"Bah! This is going to take forever!"

Archilius begins the slow and tedious process of emptying the bucket and refilling it, only to empty it once more- flooding the room so that he can float to the top.

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 12:51 AM
It actually doesn't take as long as he expected. Before he knows it, the water is past his stomach, then past his chest.

Soon his feet are no longer able to touch the ground. Which means its time to start swimming...

Athletics test to stay afloat while dumping the water... :smalltongue:

Saldre
2010-05-28, 12:54 AM
Archilius was always a terrible swimmer- as a kid, he would often refuse to go even near the water. Luckily, he had other training and could manage to float when push came to shove.

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:02 AM
For somebody who was a terrible swimmer as a child, Archilius is quite adept as keeping afloat. Before long, he's over halfway to the top...

'Nuther Athletics test...

Saldre
2010-05-28, 01:12 AM
Archilius floats to the top!

[roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:15 AM
Sure enough, Archilius makes it to the ceiling. There's a rough angular outline, like a trap door or something carved into the ceiling. He needs to think quickly, though, before he starts to sink...

Another Athletics check, and you'd better start working on a way to escape. :smallwink:

Saldre
2010-05-28, 01:19 AM
Archilius was in no mood to be hindered by anything or anybody this day, he was so close he could feel it- and he did not enjoy being wet at all.

Looking over the trap door, he first attempts to concentrate on any lingering magical aura that might be protecting it. He will then attempt to push it open, if is light enough.

Ath: [roll0]- Arcana [roll1]

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:22 AM
There is no magical aura. It just appears to be a stone slab fit tightly in place...

Saldre
2010-05-28, 01:25 AM
Archilius examines the carvings.

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:28 AM
Its exactly that - a stone slab fit snuggly in place.

Saldre
2010-05-28, 01:46 AM
Sorry- For some reason, I thought there was something carved on it.

Archilius floats, pondering how to move it out of the way.

"Bah! I Don't have Time for this!"

Bubble begin to rise around him as the water slowly boils. An oppressive heat emanates from his body, despite it being submerged.

He looks up, giving the stone slab a glare- and with wave of his hand invokes his ultimate attack: FLAMES OF PHLEGETOS!; hoping to simply blow the stone slab away.

Daily power: to hit and [roll]3d10+4 Damage!

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 01:48 AM
Its a good thing he wasn't able to concentrate enough to use his powers. The intense heat from the arcane power would have boiled him alive...

Saldre
2010-05-28, 01:52 AM
"In Retrospect, maybe I am being a bit too hot headed."

Archilius empties the bucket a few more time to get closer to the stone slab. He'll try to scratch at its contours, see if the stone slab will fall down if he loosens its side enough.

Lycan 01
2010-05-28, 02:05 AM
There's not much holding it in place other than a snug fit. Perhaps pushing or pulling on it will work...

Saldre
2010-05-29, 09:14 PM
Sorry about that- I thought i tried pushing it already :P

Archilius tries pushing it, and if that fails, pulling it.

here's a d20: [roll0]

Lycan 01
2010-05-29, 11:20 PM
After quite some time pushing on the stone slab Archilius finally manages to push it loose. After a bit of straining, he succeeds in pushing up and out before sliding it to the side inside whatever room is above him. Now he just needs to climb up...

Climb check, comrade. :smalltongue:

Saldre
2010-05-29, 11:33 PM
Archilius climbs out of the hole- not yet realizing that he would have to find another way out of this dungeon...

[roll0] Or + something, if its Ath, then its a +7.

Lycan 01
2010-05-30, 12:00 AM
Archilius quickly clambers up into the room. Its a small circular room, about 10 feet wide. There's an old wooden door built into one side of the curving room. And there's an insciption on a small bronze plaque in the center of the door - "Here Lies Tybald."

Saldre
2010-05-30, 12:03 AM
"One last trap probably-"

Archilius goes about examining the door for pretty much anything- traps and triggers, magical auras, weasel cannons...

My three rolls: Thievery-[roll0]-Perception- [roll1]-Arcana: [roll2]

Lycan 01
2010-05-30, 12:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with the door. No traps, locks, or tricks. It just appears to be the entrance to the old magic user's crypt...

Saldre
2010-05-30, 12:28 AM
Archilius opens the door and walks in.

"Success!"

Lycan 01
2010-05-30, 01:02 AM
Success indeed.

The crypt is a large rectangular sandstone room. Torches decorate the walls, and there is a stone doorway built into the opposite wall. In the center of the room, there is a large stone coffin. On either side of it, there are two stone pedestals with items on top of them. There's also something, or someone, standing behind the coffin. Its... a robot? Actually, its a Warforged, a mixture of metal, wood, and magic. But it appears to be deactivated, just standing there motionless at the head of the stone crypt.

What a weird room. As if the deactived robot wasn't odd enough, the two items on the pedestals are also strange. On the right side, there is a large glass jar with a silver lid. There are strange gold runes and designs covered the glass and lid, and there is a strange blue and green mist swirling around inside the jar. On the left pedestal, there appears to be a sword. With a slightly curved single-edged blade and an ornate full handguard, it appears to be a sabre. The grip is leather, the pommel and guard look like gold, and pale blue engraved runes appear to run up the length of the blade.

The coffin itself is made of stone, and the name Tybald is engraved at the foot of the crypt.

Saldre
2010-05-31, 11:21 PM
"First thing's first"

While being careful not to touch anything, Archilius snoops about for traps and triggers and anything that might be cursed.

[roll0] For Thievery, [roll1] for Arcana, [roll2] for Perception

Lycan 01
2010-06-01, 03:40 AM
You can find no magical or physical evidence of traps. However, you can't make out the details of the items unless you directly examine them one at a time...

Saldre
2010-06-03, 11:29 PM
Archilius moves to examine the Jar first. He looks over the pedestal for pressure plates and other traps as he does so.

Here's thievery and perception- [roll0] & [roll1]. Argh! Screwed that up! Roll it for me, would you? So I don't double post.

Lycan 01
2010-06-05, 12:36 AM
The pedestal is not trapped or anything. It is a large glass jar, looking to hold about a gallon or so. The lid is silver, with engravings decorating the top and sides. Inside the jar is a swirling blue and green mist, with the colors of the cloudy contents shifting from darker to lighter as they gently flow in an unseen current. The inscription on the lid simply reads: "Instant problem solver. Throw very hard, then run - quickly, if possibly."

Saldre
2010-06-06, 12:13 PM
"Instant problem solver... OoOOoh"

He moves towards the sword, examining it and its pedestal next.

"Let's not take any chances"

Here's the three rolls: Arc- , Thiev- [roll1], Perce- [roll]20 Well, that's nice... first rolls after I return, and this is what I get :P

Lycan 01
2010-06-07, 03:33 AM
Archilius reaches for the sword, but freezes when he senses a trace of magical energy in the area around it. He can't tell if its the pedestal or the sword, however...