PDA

View Full Version : Grey Guard

quiet1mi
2010-05-16, 01:14 AM
So I am finally playing again and I have my heart set on the Grey Guard Prestige class... The only problem is what do I do about the 5-6 levels before I enter...

The game is
6th level
All Core, Completes, PHB 2...
All Races of the ______
Everything else is a strict case by case basis that I have to be able to show him... so no dragon magazine...

I was personally thinking Rogue 2/ Paladin 4 and enter the prestige class as the game progresses at 7th level...

Akal Saris
2010-05-16, 01:24 AM
You could go Paladin 5/Gray Guard 1?

quiet1mi
2010-05-16, 12:00 PM
That sounds good but won't I be wanting for skill points?

herrhauptmann
2010-05-16, 12:24 PM
What are the prereqs for grey guard? (I'm AFB). What is your character idea, how does grey guard fit with that? What fighting style do you want?
Pal/Rgr, full bab, decent skills. But slightly focuses towards outdorrs instead of cities. Could go urban ranger variant.

Boci
2010-05-16, 12:26 PM
Paladin 3 / Cleric 2 if quite good, since then you can advance the clerics acasting and get 4th level spells, as oppose to the paladin's casting.

Amphetryon
2010-05-16, 12:30 PM
Cloistered Cleric 2/Ranger 3/Prestige Paladin 2/Grey Guard X.

EDIT: Thog not read gud.

aivanther
2010-05-16, 01:00 PM
Grey Guard reqs for whoever asked: LG, Know Religion 8, Sense motive 4, lay on hands, have a good code of conduct

quiet1mi
2010-05-16, 01:26 PM
So... I hear cleric 2, paladin 3, gray guard 1... Won't I need skill points for intimidate, bluff, and sense motive...

by the way, I am stuck with using the elite array...

Optimystik
2010-05-16, 01:29 PM
Why are you going Grey Guard? Knowing what you want out of the class will help us find the best breakpoint for you.

If what you really want is the "remove the stick" class feature, read the adapatation - they suggest granting that feature to all high-level paladins, so you can just be a straight paladin, a paladin with a higher-casting PrC, or even just a Crusader.

crazedloon
2010-05-16, 01:30 PM
So... I hear cleric 2, paladin 3, gray guard 1... Won't I need skill points for intimidate, bluff, and sense motive...

by the way, I am stuck with using the elite array...

human cloistered cleric will help the skill point problem. However it will hurt your overall BaB

Another option is nymphs kiss human which nets you 2 skill points per level

Boci
2010-05-16, 01:33 PM
human cloistered cleric will help the skill point problem. However it will hurt your overall BaB

With just 2 levels that only a loss of 0.5 BAB, and thatsd assuming fractional BAB is being used. If not then there is no difference.

quiet1mi
2010-05-16, 03:37 PM
Why are you going Grey Guard? Knowing what you want out of the class will help us find the best breakpoint for you.

What I am hoping to accomplish is to create aKnight in Sour Armor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightInSourArmor).

The Gray Guard allows me to accomplish this by being more aggressive than normal while being more passive than the shadowbane inquisitor's Smite everyone attitude.

Starbuck_II
2010-05-16, 04:57 PM
What I am hoping to accomplish is to create aKnight in Sour Armor (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KnightInSourArmor).

The Gray Guard allows me to accomplish this by being more aggressive than normal while being more passive than the shadowbane inquisitor's Smite everyone attitude.

There is nothing in the Paladin class that means you must be optimistic.

Optimystik
2010-05-16, 05:13 PM
The Gray Guard supposedly has more freedom where the code of conduct is concerned, but the PrC doesn't specify what exactly a Gray Guard can get away with that would cause a normal Paladin to fall. It sounds cool on paper, but crunchwise I don't see anything there worth giving up 5 levels of casting for.

I must also reiterate the adaptation (CSco pg. 44), which gives you the primary benefit of the Gray Guard PrC without actually having to take any levels in Gray Guard. This leaves you free to PrC into something more thematically appropriate like Sacred Exorcist or Church Inquisitor.

quiet1mi
2010-05-16, 11:43 PM
(CSco) what book is that?

nyarlathotep
2010-05-16, 11:57 PM
Complete Scoundrel

Also I would just like to point out there is nothing about paladin that says you have to be a ****, you just can't be evil.