View Full Version : [3.5] Template project: Breather template [Peach]

zagan
2010-05-16, 09:41 AM
http://th04.deviantart.net/images3/300W/i/2004/10/3/c/DrakoLanisah.jpg
A Breather human

The Breather Template:
The Breather Template: can be add to any non-Dragon:
Size and type: Size remain unchanged, type change to Dragon

Hit Dice: All racial Hit dice (including those gain after the application of this template) become d12

Armor class: A Breather body become covered in hard scale, her natural armor improve by 2

Base Attack Bonus: Bab equal racial Hit dice

Special abilities: Same as base creature, and a Breather gain a breath weapon depending on their type before gaining this template as describe on the table below:
{table=head]Original type|Breath weapon
Aberration|Sickening Breath
Animal|Frightening Breath
Construct|Slowing Breath
Elemental|Energy Breath
Fey|Confusing Breath
Giant|Boulder Breath
Humanoid|Weakening Breath
Magical beast|Dispelling Breath
Monstrous Humanoid|Stunning Breath
Ooze|Paralysing Breath
Outsider|Blinding Breath
Plant|Entangling Breath
Undead|Negative Breath
Vermin|Poisoning Breath
[/table]

Special qualities: A Breather lose all the trait from it’s previous type but otherwise retain all special qualities of the base creature, she also gain Darkvision out to 60 feet, low-light vision and Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.

Base save Bonus: All good save

Skills: 6+int (x4 for the first), Intimidate is always a class skill and a Breather gain a +4 racial bonus on such check

Feats: Same as base creature, as a creature with the dragon type Breather qualify for feat, prestige class, racial substitution level, power or spell that require the dragonblood subtype

Challenge Rating: +1

Level adjustement: +1

Type of Breath:

Sickening Breath(Su): If the Breather was an Aberration prior to gaining this template she gain a Sickening Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d6 untyped damage per three Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortituded save (same DC) or become sickened for 1 minute, if already sickened the creature become nauseated instead.

Frightening Breath(Su): If the Breather was an Animal prior to gaining this template she gain a Frightening Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d4 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Will save (same DC) or become shaken for 5 round, if already shaken the creature become frightened instead, if already frightened the creature become panicked instead.

Slowing Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Construct prior to gaining this template she gain a Slowing Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d4 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Will save (same DC) or become Slowed as the spell for 1 minute.

Energy Breath(Su): If the Breather was an Elemental prior to gaining this template she gain an Energy Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 60 foot line dealing 1d8 damage (type depending on subtype before gaining the template, see table) per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half.
{table=head]Subtype|Damage
Air|Electricity
Earth|Acid
Fire|Fire
Water or Cold|Cold
[/table]
If she had multiple subtype before gaining this template she choose one for the purpose of this ability.

Confusing Breath(Su):If the Breather was a Fey prior to gaining this template she gain a Confusing Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 15 foot cone dealing 1d4 untyped damage per three Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Will save (same DC) or become confused for 5 round.

Boulder Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Giant prior to gaining this template she gain a Boulder Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 60 foot line dealing 1d10 bludgeoning damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Strength check (same DC) or be push back 5 feet + 5 feet for each five point below the DC.

Weakening Breath(Su): If the Breather was an Humanoid prior to gaining this template she gain a Weakening Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d6 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or become fatigued for 1 minute, if already fatigued the creature become ehxausted instead.

Dispelling Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Magical Beast prior to gaining this template she gain a Dispelling Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d6 untyped damage per three Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage il also the subject of Dispel Magic as the spell, the Area option. For this purpose the caster level is equal to the Breather creature Hit dice, this is not subject to the normal +10 maximum from Dispel Magic

Stunning Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Monstrous Humanoid prior to gaining this template she gain a Stunning Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot line dealing 1d6 untyped damage per three Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or become stunned for 1 round.

Paralysing Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Ooze prior to gaining this template she gain a Paralysing Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot line dealing 1d6 untyped damage per three Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or become paralysed for 1 round.

Blinding Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Outsider prior to gaining this template she gain a Blinding Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d8 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or become blinded for 1 minute.

Entangling Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Plant prior to gaining this template she gain an Entangling Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d6 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or become entangle for 5 round.

Negative Breath(Su): If the Breather was an Undead prior to gaining this template she gain an Negative Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d4 negative energy damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage must also make a Fortitude save (same DC) or also take 1 point of Strength drain

Poisoning Breath(Su): If the Breather was a Vermin prior to gaining this template she gain a Poisoning Breath weapon usable once every 1d4 round it’s a 30 foot cone dealing 1d6 untyped damage per two Hit dice of the creature. A successful Reflex save (DC equal 10 + half hit dice + Constitution modifier) reduce damage by half. Any creature taking damage is also poisonned, the poison does inititial and secondary damage 1d4 Constitution (same DC)

*Note on cosmetic change: A Breather look a lot like before he gained the template but with scale of various size on diverse part of their body. They can be of any color but on any one creature their the smae color.
Sometimes breather also gain a small budge in their throat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Template Project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8492255#post8492255)

Designer note:

For rhis template I focused on the dragon main characteristic in my mind the breath weapon and I choose to make one for each type of creature that can qualify. I hope they are balanced, I've played with the damage, the range, the shape and mostly the secondary effect.
If you have any idea for a better name I would like to hear it.

I only made one feat for it because they have acces to dragonblood feat, breath channeling feat and metabreath feat.

Strong Heritage [Template] [Heritage]
One of your ancestor was different by tapping into this heritage you can use your breath weapon differently
Prerequisite
Breather template, Air heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Anarchic heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Axiomatic heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Celestial heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Earth heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Fey heritageCM/bloodlineDC or Fiendish heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Fire heritagePlH/bloodlineDC or Illithid heritageCP/bloodlineDC or Necromantic bloddlineDC or Plant bloodlineDC or Serpent BloodlineDC or Water heritagePlH/bloodlineDC
Benefit
You gain acces to a second type of breath weapon from your Breather template depending on your heritage (see below), when you use any of your breath weapon you must wait the normal 1d4 round before you can use either of them again, in effect you have one breath weapon but with two effect of your choice.
Air heritage/bloodline: Energy Breath dealing Electricity damage
Anarchic heritage/bloodline: Blinding Breath, also Lawful creature take 1 more die of damage
Axiomatic heritage/bloodline: Blinding Breath, also Chaotic creature take 1 more die of damage
Celestial heritage/bloodline: Blinding Breath, also Evil creature take 1 more die of damage
Earth heritage/bloodline: Energy Breath dealing Acid damage
Fiendish heritage/bloodline: Blinding Breath, also Good creature take 1 more die of damage
Fire heritage/bloodline: Energy Breath dealing Fire damage
Illithid heritage/bloodline: Sickening Breath
Necromantic bloddline: Negative Breath
Plant bloodline: Entangling Breath
Serpent Bloodline: Frightening Breath
Water heritage/bloodline: Energy Breath dealing Cold damage
CM: Complete Mage, CP: Complete Psionic, DC: Dragon Compendium, PlH: Planar Handbook

Volthawk
2010-05-16, 10:21 AM
I like how the previous type determines the breath weapon they get.

zagan
2010-05-16, 10:28 AM
I like how the previous type determines the breath weapon they get.

Yes, it mean that techincally there's 14 type of Breather template.

Lord Loss
2010-05-16, 12:24 PM
This is the best of your templates, by far. Although I'm not a fan of the outsider one. Perhaps base it on their subtype?

zagan
2010-05-16, 12:31 PM
This is the best of your templates, by far. Although I'm not a fan of the outsider one. Perhaps base it on their subtype?

Thank you for the compliment it's appreciate.
I'm not sure that all outsider have a subtype I need to check. Do you have idea of what effect it could give ?

Edit: Yeah, I've made a quick check and not all outsider have subtype and those that have them varie widly, the four alignement + at least four or five elemental subtype. That seem like a lot.

sidhe3141
2010-06-15, 06:04 PM
My suggestion for Strong Heritage:
Prerequisites: Breather template, at least one heritage feat with no feat prerequisites.
Benefit: You gain an additional breath weapon. Treat the creature type represented by the heritage feat you used to qualify for this class as though it were your original type for purposes of determining the type of breath weapon.

Edit: Oh, and maybe make "Boulder Breath" sonic or bludgeoning?

DracoDei
2010-06-15, 06:51 PM
Not going to look at this in depth... at least not right now.

The template name is somewhat lacking, and "Boulder Breath" is just... bad, despite technically being thematic.

Still... not bad.

I would recommend making sure that types that get the most HP, Saves, and/or Skills boost get the least powerful breathweapons.

zagan
2010-06-16, 08:48 AM
My suggestion for Strong Heritage:
Prerequisites: Breather template, at least one heritage feat with no feat prerequisites.
Benefit: You gain an additional breath weapon. Treat the creature type represented by the heritage feat you used to qualify for this class as though it were your original type for purposes of determining the type of breath weapon.

I prefer my wording more complex but with less room for interpretation.

Edit: Oh, and maybe make "Boulder Breath" sonic or bludgeoning?

Why boulder would make sonic damage ?

Not going to look at this in depth... at least not right now.

Don't worry about it.

The template name is somewhat lacking

Isearch a long time for better and not already taken.

, and "Boulder Breath" is just... bad, despite technically being thematic.

The name or tha breath is bad ? I really like the name myself.

Still... not bad.

I would recommend making sure that types that get the most HP, Saves, and/or Skills boost get the least powerful breathweapons.

The type change to dragon for everyone, I don't understand what you mean.

radmelon
2010-06-16, 09:16 AM
Although I posted this here, this applies to most of the templates. If you apply a template to an unliving creature such as an undead or a construct, how much CON do they have?

zagan
2010-06-16, 09:20 AM
Although I posted this here, this applies to most of the templates. If you apply a template to an unliving creature such as an undead or a construct, how much CON do they have?

I didn't think about that, I've been concentrating on the player angle. I need to think about it.

sidhe3141
2010-06-18, 08:53 PM
I prefer my wording more complex but with less room for interpretation.

Yeah, I suppose, but it's not really comprehensive unless that's a complete list of the allowed heritage feats in your game*

*and a bit of a personal note: brute-forcing things makes my programmer instincts itch a bit. So I start thinking "must find general solution":smallwink:.

Why boulder would make sonic damage ?
Sonic's always underrepresented. Besides, a bone-shaking "FEE FIE FO FUM!" or a huge-lung-emptying yell that rips trees from the ground seems to fit giants better than spitting boulders.

Don't worry about it.

Isearch a long time for better and not already taken.
Dracofied? Bescaled? Niddhoggic?

The name or tha breath is bad ? I really like the name myself.

The type change to dragon for everyone, I don't understand what you mean.

I think that's supposed to be the things that get the biggest hit die size increases (d6 to d12 as opposed to d10 to d12), the biggest increases in skill points (Int+2 to Int+6 as opposed to no change), and the best increases in saves (all poor to all good as opposed to no change) get the worst breath weapons to keep the template an even increase to anything that takes it.

zagan
2010-06-19, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I suppose, but it's not really comprehensive unless that's a complete list of the allowed heritage feats in your game*

*and a bit of a personal note: brute-forcing things makes my programmer instincts itch a bit. So I start thinking "must find general solution":smallwink:.

It's a complete list of the one that would fit with the template, draconic heritage isn't include because the template can't be applied to dragon for example and aberrant heritage can't be use because only humanoide qualify for it so once you have the template you can't qualify for it anymore.

Sonic's always underrepresented. Besides, a bone-shaking "FEE FIE FO FUM!" or a huge-lung-emptying yell that rips trees from the ground seems to fit giants better than spitting boulders.

Yeah, but i like the boulder idea.

Dracofied? Bescaled? Niddhoggic?

Bescaled might have work.

I think that's supposed to be the things that get the biggest hit die size increases (d6 to d12 as opposed to d10 to d12), the biggest increases in skill points (Int+2 to Int+6 as opposed to no change), and the best increases in saves (all poor to all good as opposed to no change) get the worst breath weapons to keep the template an even increase to anything that takes it.

Ah i see but as I said before it's mostly made with player character in mind so those point are moot for them.

DracoDei
2010-06-19, 07:34 AM

Precisely.

As for my not liking the Giant thing, that has NOTHING to do with the name. The name fits the effect, but the effect is ridiculous to me. I would change the effect, and, if necessary, the name.

zagan
2010-06-19, 08:32 AM
Precisely.

As for my not liking the Giant thing, that has NOTHING to do with the name. The name fits the effect, but the effect is ridiculous to me. I would change the effect, and, if necessary, the name.

Ah, ok. What do you think would made a good breath weapon for giant based breather ?

DracoDei
2010-06-19, 08:49 AM
Ah, ok. What do you think would made a good breath weapon for giant based breather ?
It is a very difficult question... the sonic thing for damage is almost as ridiculous, but if you replaced the damage with a dazing effect it might work? Yeah... that could be good (unless someone has a better idea...).

zagan
2010-06-19, 08:52 AM
It is a very difficult question... the sonic thing for damage is almost as ridiculous, but if you replaced the damage with a dazing effect it might work? Yeah... that could be good (unless someone has a better idea...).

Yes, it might work but I'm hesitant to change it because I have a player currently using the template. I'll ask him what he think about it.