PDA

View Full Version : What is the lifespan of a Couatl?

gooddragon1
2010-05-16, 11:41 AM
What is the lifespan of a Couatl? Do they live forever like some outsiders?

Flickerdart
2010-05-16, 12:01 PM
A Couatl is a Native Outsider, so they are theoretically not immortal.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-16, 12:24 PM
What is the lifespan of a Couatl? Do they live forever like some outsiders?

Easy Answer: Until it meets a group of non-good PCs, or the storyline says "Couatl dies now".

Hard Answer: Does it really matter? If a Couatl is guarding some place and is supposed to have ancient information... assume that it got that information from it's parents, who got that information from their parents and so-on.

Actual Answer: We (in the modern world) don't know the lifespan of Great White Sharks, Galapagos Turtles & Blue Whales... we can estimate them, but it's still mostly guesswork. Figuring out the lifespan of a fictional magical creature without assigning an arbitrary number? Impossible.

Zeta Kai
2010-05-16, 12:43 PM
Consult your DM. WotC was always a little coy about non-race lifespans, which I always thought was weird. Think about it: every race has an explicit maximum lifespan, but almost no PC ever dies of old age. But monsters almost never have an explicit maximum lifespan. WTH?

Fayd
2010-05-16, 12:45 PM
Consult your DM. WotC was always a little coy about non-race lifespans, which I always thought was weird. Think about it: every race has an explicit maximum lifespan, but almost no PC ever dies of old age. But monsters almost never have an explicit maximum lifespan. WTH?

My guess? None of them ever reach it.

RandomNPC
2010-05-16, 12:54 PM
make them like ameoba (sp?) when they get to big they split in two, each taking some memories and the process tweaking the personality a little. they never die, they just change.

also: sixteen years. I just made that up, see how easy it was?

also also: they have never lived to death, seeing as they are biological constructs made ten years ago. (This is a secret)

I can do this lifespan thing for days, and between each there will be a field of "also also also also.....)

Draz74
2010-05-16, 01:05 PM
I believe the Aztec mythological creatures it's based on were, indeed, supposed to be immortal.

Eldan
2010-05-16, 01:35 PM
Given that Quetzalcoatl was a god, yes, I'd assume he was.

gooddragon1
2010-05-16, 02:33 PM
A Couatl is a Native Outsider, so they are theoretically not immortal.

This worries me. Well thanks to everyone for their answers.

EDIT: Why it matters... my characters must all live forever (potentially).

Worira
2010-05-16, 02:34 PM
Do you want them to be immortal? Congratulations, they are!

gooddragon1
2010-05-16, 07:21 PM
Do you want them to be immortal? Congratulations, they are!

My DM is especially picky about what is and isn't. I am currently playing a sort of undead cleric (negative heals for half and positive heals for full (was the other way around before I took a positive attunement feat), most other undead benefits) even though I took a -4 racial penalty to wisdom at the start (18-4=14). I did it just for the limitless lifespan. He won't allow elan's either.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-16, 07:27 PM
He wouldn't just allow Necropolitan?

gooddragon1
2010-05-16, 08:01 PM
He wouldn't just allow Necropolitan?

He said he would, but I don't have the book and I think there's level adjustment involved. The race I'm playing also happens to be one of the custom ones he created in the campaign.

Coidzor
2010-05-16, 08:04 PM
He said he would, but I don't have the book and I think there's level adjustment involved. The race I'm playing also happens to be one of the custom ones he created in the campaign.

No actual level adjustment, it actually just makes you a lower level, so you can't start as one at 1st or 2nd level.