PDA

View Full Version : CC/Rogue/Assassin Build [3.5]

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-16, 09:29 PM
Earlier today I found my "old" character binder and found and old assassin build that I did a few years ago, now that I am wiser to the ways of optimizing I see this build and cringe a bit at it.

Either way here is the build

Human
Cleric 1/Rogue 4/Assassin 5
Domains (Evil and Death)
1:Weapon Focus (Shortsword)
H:Backstaber (Homebrew feat which increased SA dice to 1d8, kinda imported from 4e)
3 :Quick Draw
6: Weapon Finnesse
9 :Disemboweling Strike

Pretty lame isnt it? either way I really liked that character so I thought of redoing him just for kicks. So what do you think of the new version

Human
Cloistered Cleric 1/Rogue 4/ Assassin
Domains: Trickery, Law, Knowledge
Trade Law and Knowledge Domains for their respective devotions
1: Able Learner
Human: Darkstalker
3: Weapon Finnesse
6: Two-weapon fighting
9: Craven

So how good is version 2?

kentma57
2010-05-16, 10:08 PM
I would recommend Cleric 5/Assassin 5, you don't get as many sneak attack dice but with 3rd level spells the cleric levels are worth it.

PId6
2010-05-16, 11:30 PM
Why are you not starting with a rogue level? That's almost strictly superior, since the HD is the same and you're getting 8 more skill points. Then you don't need to take Trickery Domain, since with Able Learner cleric has all those skills anyway, which means you can trade it in for another domain or devotion feat. Undeath is good for the Extra Turning to fuel Law Devotion, or you can take something like Trickery Devotion or Travel Devotion.

Depending on how far you're going to go, the 4th level of rogue isn't really getting you much. Instead, you can dip Fighter/Swashbuckler for a feat, Sneak Attack Fighter for an extra Sneak Attack, or Swordsage for maneuvers. Take another level of Swordsage at 8th level if you've already dipped Swordsage or take it at 9th level if you didn't for Assassin's Stance.

gorfnab
2010-05-17, 02:55 AM
I would recommend Cleric 5/Assassin 5, you don't get as many sneak attack dice but with 3rd level spells the cleric levels are worth it.
With a feat you can get more sneak attack dice for that kind of build, may need a level of rogue though. Sacred Outlaw (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sacred_Outlaw)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-17, 03:41 AM
Switch it to something like Cloistered Cleric 4/ Rogue 1/ Black Flame Zealot and you may have something going for you. Another option with a bit of the same feel could go something like Rogue 4/ Ardent 1/ Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d), with Practiced Manifester of course. At least then you would get Mind Cripple, which makes Psychic Assassin the premier class for disabling an opponent via melee.