PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Insults

Thajocoth
2010-05-16, 10:36 PM
In the last couple of sessions, my character tried to think of things to call aberrations that would be insulting/demeaning to the whole group and couldn't think of anything. I'm not entirely sure of the term for the type of word I'm looking for anyway... Like, "We can't let that aberrant _____ get away." It'd be something asserting that my character believes them to all be evil and below everything else in some way. Does what I'm asking for make sense?

My character has a bit of an obsession with wiping all traces of the Far Realm off of both his home (the Feywild) and where he currently is adventuring (the Natural World). My character is a humanoid plant (Wilden) druid who wild shapes into a swarm of glowing insects (See my avatar for a visual of the transformation.) So anything relating to animals, such as "beasts", would be more insulting to the animals in my character's opinion. Also, as far as he knows, his entire race's existence is specifically to counter the Far Realm's invasion of madness into these two planes. (My character is Good, except when his obsession would have him act counter to that alignment.)

Being D&D, terms like "horrors", "demons" and such are more denotations of type, and so they don't really work for what I need.

Drakevarg
2010-05-16, 10:38 PM
Is it even possible to insult an Aberration? They don't generally strike me as sane enough to care.

Thrawn183
2010-05-16, 10:39 PM
Symmetrical?

arguskos
2010-05-16, 10:40 PM
You are looking for a racial pejorative, like "squid-faces" for illithids, etc. They would be keyed to each species of aberration, most likely.

Thajocoth
2010-05-16, 10:41 PM
Is it even possible to insult an Aberration? They don't generally strike me as sane enough to care.

Not usually to them. Usually about them. My character's statements to them are generally more straightforward... Such as "You, your kind, and everyone who associates with them, deserve nothing less than death.", then I wild shape, charge, and don't bother saying another word to them unless there's telepathy involved. (I've no reason to leave my wild shape during a battle, and if there's a living aberrant in my character's presence, I'm in a battle.)

Hendel
2010-05-16, 10:41 PM
You are looking for a racial pejorative, like "squid-faces" for illithids, etc. They would be keyed to each species of aberration, most likely.

Or something more like aberrant taint, aberrant scum, aberrant monstrocity, etc??

Thajocoth
2010-05-16, 10:44 PM
Or something more like aberrant taint, aberrant scum, aberrant monstrocity, etc??

Yes. I think so. Thanks. Also, taint, scum & monstrosity all work well for what I need. I could also, in passing, mention them to be a blight on the multiverse.

Drakevarg
2010-05-16, 10:45 PM
Not usually to them. Usually about them. My character's statements to them are generally more straightforward... Such as "You, your kind, and everyone who associates with them, deserve nothing less than death.", then I wild shape, charge, and don't bother saying another word to them unless there's telepathy involved. (I've no reason to leave my wild shape during a battle, and if there's a living aberrant in my character's presence, I'm in a battle.)

Ah. Well in that case, "freak" always works well. Then tag on some sort of describtive addition. "Squid-faced freak" for Illithids, "Slimey freak" for most of them, "Stretchy freak" for Chokers, whatever.

Hendel
2010-05-16, 10:53 PM
Yes. I think so. Thanks. Also, taint, scum & monstrosity all work well for what I need. I could also, in passing, mention them to be a blight on the multiverse.

Abomination, anathema, contamination, blasphemy, malignancy, corruption, infection, blight, or if you just can't think of anything call him a bugger, I think that would work to get your point across.

Divide by Zero
2010-05-17, 12:11 AM
When in doubt, a little profanity goes a long way.

Flame of Anor
2010-05-17, 12:52 AM
I think "bastards" is the time-tested standby for this kind of taunt, no? Not too creative, but then you don't want to be all Johnny Tremain and call them "squeak-pigs" or something. Or do you? Hmm... "Die, you aberrant squeak-pig bastards!" That might have something...

Set
2010-05-17, 01:12 AM
Since aberrants are perhaps the least coherent creature type (well, besides Magical Beasts, which have almost nothing in common between species), some sort of insult that suggests that they are just a hodge-podge or 'ex miscellanea' group of nonsensical and preposterous creatures thrown together because they don't rate an actual category of their own might annoy the smarter ones.

"Oh, these... random stupid things again... Is this the one that eats brains or the one that eats excrement?"

"More Abby Normals?"

The_Snark
2010-05-17, 01:15 AM
"Filth" is my go-to word for expressing contempt and loathing. It's a bit snappier than anathema or monstrosity, and it's a better blanket insult than profanity.

AslanCross
2010-05-17, 04:20 AM
Illithids: Brain-sucker
Aboleths: Bottom-feeder

Both hit them right in the ego.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else for the other aberrations in LoM that has the same bite at least.

Another general term for aberrations could be:

A carbuncle on the toe of reality
A tumor on the Material Plane
Far Realm Pox
Vileness

Cogidubnus
2010-05-17, 04:27 AM
Slime, drool (and derivatives - drool-face, drooling lunatic etc.) horror, taint or

ABERRATION! *charges*

Amiel
2010-05-17, 04:33 AM
Pejoratives for aberrations, I would imagine, would be compliments to humans;
"You kitten-hugger!"
"You helper of the elderly!"
"You giver to charities!"

Also, see;
"Sun lover"
"Nature's child/flower child"
"Equal Opportunity Employer"

Cogidubnus
2010-05-17, 05:15 AM
Pejoratives for aberrations, I would imagine, would be compliments to humans;
"You kitten-hugger!"
"You helper of the elderly!"
"You giver to charities!"

Also, see;
"Sun lover"
"Nature's child/flower child"
"Equal Opportunity Employer"

Like +1. Particularly the last one.

Xuc Xac
2010-05-17, 05:20 AM
...some sort of insult that suggests that they are just a hodge-podge or 'ex miscellanea' group of nonsensical and preposterous creatures thrown together because they don't rate an actual category of their own...

"You and the pathetic grab-bag of genetic party favors you call kin will be wiped from existence like mud from my boot heel." Feel free to substitute something else brown and nasty in place of "mud".