PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunter D20 [Community Project]

Strudel110
2010-05-16, 11:32 PM
Well I just got Monster Hunter Tri and its great! So I thought, you know this would be an interesting homebrew. Thats where you come in, I can't stat everything my self so I thought maybe you'd like to help.

Main things to be brewed:
1. Weapons, this ones a biggy but i'll be able to help with it. Sword and shield, great sword, hammer, lance, switch-axe, long sword, bowguns (stocks, frames, and Barrels) all weapons in MH3 here.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Weapons

2. Weapon special attacks/maneuvers, all MH weapons have one, lances have block advance, great swords have the charge slash, and switch-axes have energy release.

3. Monsters, this will be hard, the minions should be simple, but the boss monsters have to be tough but not unkillable , the fights long but not too hard. monsters here.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Monsters
4. Classes, two to be exact Blademaster and Gunner, decides what weapons, armor, and skills you use

5.Armor, a good offense is useless without a good defense, needs blade and gunner versions of each type, also armor skills from complete sets of on type.
armor here http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_Points

6. Forging/Carving system, in MH your weapons are made mostly from parts of slain foes and ore, but we need a way to decide what you get from each carve, all materials required for a weapon,piece of armor, or item are next to the item on MH wiki.

7. Items/Misc. yup this ones pretty simple just needs rules
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Item_List

8. Fluff is nice we should add some flare whenever possible.

now this is just the basic idea I'm counting on the community here so if you have an idea to make something better or more refined by all means share.

Hopefully it will be different enough to be its own setting but still could be used with normal D&D.

I'll start making stuff tomorrow so begin the Brainstorm!

Nero24200
2010-05-17, 04:54 AM
Few things spring to mind:

1: I might not use standard D20 as a base. I've only ever played the first game, but switching to a different weapon never seemed to be a disadvantage (unless of course, the weapon you switched to wasn't as good as your previous one), so that makes me think that Monster Hunter wouldn't work too well if using manuevers, classes or fighting styles etc, since hunters were as good with one weapon as they were with any. Though having said that, take all those out and character creation is pretty boring - so to this extent I might recommend either
A: Classes for each fighting style (Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Bowgun etc).
B: A classless system, something similer to the Generic Classes system from the SRD or the Mutants and Masterminds way of creating characters - where the main bulk of character creation simply determines the number of feats you gain, your BAB, saves and skill points etc.

However, I would recommoned something similer to Stunts and Challenges from Iron Heroes, they really encourage unusal comabt tactics (such as climbing up a monster's back).

2: Things like Will Saves would be pretty pointless, since to my knowledge there is no such thing as spells in Monster Hunter...no magic in fact. Spernatural creatures yes, but I've yet to see one with mind-effects of any kind (though again, I've only played the first game, so this might have changed).

3: If D20 based, forging and carving should really just be an extension of skills. In a typical monster hunter game, you'll spend a fair bit of time doing both, but in a D20 game you'll have a party, for which only one person really needs to be any good at either.

Strudel110
2010-05-17, 07:29 AM
Few things spring to mind:

1: I might not use standard D20 as a base. I've only ever played the first game, but switching to a different weapon never seemed to be a disadvantage (unless of course, the weapon you switched to wasn't as good as your previous one), so that makes me think that Monster Hunter wouldn't work too well if using manuevers, classes or fighting styles etc, since hunters were as good with one weapon as they were with any. Though having said that, take all those out and character creation is pretty boring - so to this extent I might recommend either
A: Classes for each fighting style (Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Bowgun etc).
B: A classless system, something similer to the Generic Classes system from the SRD or the Mutants and Masterminds way of creating characters - where the main bulk of character creation simply determines the number of feats you gain, your BAB, saves and skill points etc.

However, I would recommoned something similer to Stunts and Challenges from Iron Heroes, they really encourage unusal comabt tactics (such as climbing up a monster's back).

2: Things like Will Saves would be pretty pointless, since to my knowledge there is no such thing as spells in Monster Hunter...no magic in fact. Spernatural creatures yes, but I've yet to see one with mind-effects of any kind (though again, I've only played the first game, so this might have changed).

3: If D20 based, forging and carving should really just be an extension of skills. In a typical monster hunter game, you'll spend a fair bit of time doing both, but in a D20 game you'll have a party, for which only one person really needs to be any good at either.

Yeah I was thinking that as you gain level you could get feats associated with weapons but that they would be connected to the weapon itself, example Joe is using a hammer at 2nd level you learn how to do the wind up smash, then joe switches to a lance but now he can use the level 2 ability for lances as well. So when you level up gain abilities no matter what you decide to use. But damage will depend a lot on the weapons type and upgrades, so you couldn't just jump into using lances at a later level and kill everything with a newbie weapon.

xaton
2010-11-30, 10:42 PM
well knows im new but has somthing built even mineing treasure charts drop charts two skill gathering and carveing. was goin to try to do esp skill but then thought yea wont work. but it does impliment + weapons and stuff and 3 classes [ the heavy fighter] deals with the heavy weapons hammer,heavye bow, great sword hunting horns swithc axes [uses any armor type]

light fighter [deals with the other weapons] and support fighter that deals with bow and light bow gun as well aslight fighter uses bow gun, but added in one of own weapons Staff [which is ment to be more druidic like healing support like hunting horn exells in the support effects, while staff excells in healing] the heavy fighter is not the usual fighter like dnd as due ot heavy weapons and damage ithas less attacks and uses rouge like attack BAB. while light fighters due to agilty use full attack BAB.

as well as differnt races [yea not canon but] human,feline,melinx,dragonkin,avian,lizard kin [and evne hybrids like half kelbi] [how stuf flike the hybrids came to be is up to charactor maker imaginations XD] [yet there woudl be sentiant monsters as well that makes villages like velociprey but there will be the usual monsters you face [like how dnd 4.0 they made it where a green dragon can be good type concept.] onlythign im needing is to complete enemys and their drop charts ^^. the switch ax has vials that can be bought that are liek charges for that day type thing. gun lance is problyth e most modifying one as can sellect the shot type so on. [materials woudl give bonuses like kut ku skin would give say rest fire/5 while rathlos woudlgive resist fire 10] and sort of induce the flame proporty of weapons and flameing and so on. [has dragon charts so a kut ku can be found as hatchling and most the major bird weverns] [can explain thsi further if needed.

arrow coatings im debateing if it should stay 1 per 1 arrow or work like how you embue bolts liek 20 bolts with say somthing. [oh also thats what the staff does is can embue temp effects on players weapons.

Jupies
2011-08-10, 07:17 PM
Hey! I was referred here by /tg/- I was thinking of something for this, but my knowledge is limited to Unite, sadly.

I had some neat stuff planned out to take some of the mechanical-ness out of it by introducing States of Mind for the hunters taking part in battle or whatnot.

Anyway, if that doesn't appeal, I have a bunch of other ideas tucked away, and I can post em' if you want em'.

Admiral Squish
2011-08-11, 01:35 AM
Made the MH weapons not too long ago, though they're not too good. Perhaps they're worth a look, however?
Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207137)

Togath
2011-08-11, 02:07 AM
One thing I thought of could be separating the monsters into 3-5 groups, such as animal, beast, magical beast, dragon, and something else, giving special traits to each, such as all dragons breathing fire, all animals having poison or things such as hooves or horns, beasts being a step up from animals, but lacking more than 1 or 2 magical abilities, for the magical beasts & dragons, another adjustment to make them feel more like boss monsters could be to give them either max HP(if using a roll a dice method), or double HP(if using non random HP), and increasing the number of actions it can take, maybe a serpent themed monster could strike twice, while a creature with some sort of tail or wing attack could use them against more than one target(target #1 being hit by a wing and a tail attack, and target #2 being hit by a wing attack et cetera)

Mindfreak
2011-09-02, 05:22 PM
I've been having ideas rolling around in my head for the monsters myself. I started a thread and started making them for 4e, perhaps you'd like to see it?
It's Here! ("http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213944)
I was planning some of the weapons myself already and even classes based on the different weapon types. I'll work on it and get back to you.