PDA

View Full Version : [4e]Something different

NPCMook
2010-05-16, 11:44 PM
My DnD group has decided to do something new and different with our DnD games, instead of playing on the grid mapped, our DM grabs some of the LGS's Warhammer Terrain, and sets up the board, and we use those for combat. Speed is how many inches we can move, and we use True Line of Sight, which involves us pulling out a Laser point. Its interesting and the entire group is enjoying this different take on combat layout.

Rockphed
2010-05-16, 11:47 PM
What sort of rules do you use for things like "melee attackablity," opportunity attacks, and blasts? Or have those not come up in your games yet?

R. Shackleford
2010-05-16, 11:49 PM
As long as its fun. The problem I find in most groups I've played in is that stuff like that might possibly get to be a burden.

If it works, then sweet. I love it when games try different things.

NPCMook
2010-05-16, 11:59 PM
What sort of rules do you use for things like "melee attackablity," opportunity attacks, and blasts? Or have those not come up in your games yet? Basically we only use full inch movements, so if you move more than 1 inch away from the target without declaring a shift, its an AoO, Shifting is just a 1 inch move, we haven't had a lot of blasts and Area of effects come up, but with one player switching to a controller I'm sure we will...

skywalker
2010-05-17, 12:26 AM
As long as its fun. The problem I find in most groups I've played in is that stuff like that might possibly get to be a burden.

If it works, then sweet. I love it when games try different things.

I play with a lot of people who find abstractions too far apart from reality to be fun killers. Some of the more absurd 4e rules in particular grate on them. I'd like to just DM fiat the rules the players find silly (mine are generally pretty reasonable guys and gals, with a couple notable exceptions) , but I worry about throwing game balance off too much if I do that.

hewhosaysfish
2010-05-17, 07:12 AM
For bursts, you could simply use a circle (either make templates a la 40k or simply measure). So a burst 2 would become a 5" diameter template. A circular fireball will cover strictly less area than a 4e "firecube"; you coud possibly compensate for this by adding an extra inch onto the diameters (which would also make it easier if you were measuring instead of using a template because the radius would be an even number).

Blast are harder... but an option which is consistent but still stays fairly true to the way they work in 4e would be to have place a template of diameter n (where n is the size of the blast) in base-contact to the spellcater. So a blast 3 becomes a 3" template. Of course, this runs into the opposite problem to bursts as the circular template now covers more area than the square blast did...