PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior help

gallagher
2010-05-16, 11:57 PM
so i was hoping that maybe some of you guys could help me figure out a good psychic warrior prestige class?

here is my character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=196143). it is a partial gestalt game (a 3rd tier class can gestalt with a 6th tier. unfortunately i thought that that meant only the NPC classes, and forgot the CW samurai. i mean, it sucks, but crummy class abilities are are better than no class abilities. 4th and 5th tier can gestalt between the two.)

and also, i have about 18000 gp to spend on just about whatever the heck i want, if i can find it. i will be getting about another 10000 after defending a rich family against another rich family who raised an army. i need ideas on what to spend it on.

and no, i am not retraining my feats, so i cant take full advantage of psychic weapon master. i am hoping that there are a few other ideas out there for me that would work with what i have now.

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 12:01 AM
Slayer is fun and pretty nice when you hit level 9.

also, there's the Ghostbreaker. that one is a lot of fun.

gallagher
2010-05-17, 12:11 AM
also, besides deep impact and wraithstrike, is there any way i can make my melee attacks as touch attacks? i like power attacking for full, it is very fun. hitting against touch ACs make it even more fun.

Draz74
2010-05-17, 12:14 AM
also, besides deep impact and wraithstrike, is there any way i can make my melee attacks as touch attacks?

There's a few. My favorites are in Tome of Battle (Emerald Razor) or Magic Item Compendium (Heartseeking Amulet).

Optimystik
2010-05-17, 12:35 AM
here is my character.

Where?

Consider gestalting with Healer - Wis synergy, a free mount/cohort, and some of the spells (like Freedom of Movement and True Seeing) give you more leeway in selecting powers. Also, Gate. :smalltongue:

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 12:37 AM
Where?

Consider gestalting with Healer - Wis synergy, a free mount/cohort, and some of the spells (like Freedom of Movement and True Seeing) give you more leeway in selecting powers. Also, Gate. :smalltongue:

doesn't that start up pun-pun? assuming the player wants to.

Reynard
2010-05-17, 12:43 AM
What starts up Pun-Pun is saying the name of a certain being three times.

Gate on it's own can be broken, though.

gallagher
2010-05-17, 12:49 AM
Where?

Consider gestalting with Healer - Wis synergy, a free mount/cohort, and some of the spells (like Freedom of Movement and True Seeing) give you more leeway in selecting powers. Also, Gate. :smalltongue:sorry, i forgot, in my hurry to gain answers and suggestions, to link the sheet.

that problem is now fixed

Greenish
2010-05-17, 12:52 AM
Consider gestalting with Healer - Wis synergy, a free mount/cohort, and some of the spells (like Freedom of Movement and True Seeing) give you more leeway in selecting powers. Also, Gate. :smalltongue:Healer isn't in tier 6 though.

Also, there's a skill trick for making melee attack as a touch attack in Comp. Scoundrel.

Optimystik
2010-05-17, 12:55 AM
doesn't that start up pun-pun? assuming the player wants to.

Most people don't wait until level 17 to start Pun-Pun.

Healer isn't in tier 6 though.

Oops. Samurai it is then.

that problem is now fixed

You have... very good stats.

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 01:00 AM
You have... very good stats.

forget the stats, have you seen his gear? easily 50k gp and his sheet says he's level 10.

Greenish
2010-05-17, 01:14 AM
forget the stats, have you seen his gear? easily 50k gp and his sheet says he's level 10.He's a jedi, I assume the council has helped him some.

But what's up with the classes, it says you're "Fighter/Monk2//Psiwarrior/Warrior8". How are you level 3 on the on side of a gestalt and level 9 on the other?

sonofzeal
2010-05-17, 02:49 AM
He's a jedi, I assume the council has helped him some.

But what's up with the classes, it says you're "Fighter/Monk2//Psiwarrior/Warrior8". How are you level 3 on the on side of a gestalt and level 9 on the other?
I believe it's this really horrible notation I've seen around before. I say really horrible because it looks so similar to the conventional notation, but is read totally differently and honestly doesn't make much sense at all except for very particular builds.

Translation (if I'm right): "Fighter2/PsiWar8//Monk2/Warrior8"

Greenish
2010-05-17, 02:55 AM
Translation (if I'm right): "Fighter2/PsiWar8//Monk2/Warrior8"Ah, that makes more sense.

Cogidubnus
2010-05-17, 04:10 AM
"-port". Just popping in, but if your DM'll let you try (from http://www.athas.org/products/PrC1) Psionic Monk or Soulknife, or go to (http://www.athas.org/products/PrC2) and use Auditor, Drake Guardian or Sensei (looks good). There are others in those lists but I don't have time right now to find them. Course, your DM may not want you using DS source material, Iunno.

gallagher
2010-05-17, 11:15 AM
I believe it's this really horrible notation I've seen around before. I say really horrible because it looks so similar to the conventional notation, but is read totally differently and honestly doesn't make much sense at all except for very particular builds.

Translation (if I'm right): "Fighter2/PsiWar8//Monk2/Warrior8"first of all, that is 100% correct. i realize it is confusing.

second, at the start of the campaign, we were given 4d6 drop 1. my d6 love me.

third, i have alot of cash because we were given one category higher (aka, we started level 8, and were given level 9 starting gold) and i did some interesting things. being in an all-evil campaign made it easier to make gold by stealing and other means of ill-gotten ways.

for instance, i allowed myself to get captured by one of the two super-rich families that are teaming up to kill off the family that is hiring my team as a group of mercenaries (which is why we will be getting 10000 gp after this). while inside their mansion, my team messed their stuff up without me, while i went through their dungeon level and stole their prison manifest and freed one of the family members of the family that i am hired by. those two together gained me about another 10,000.

also, we used to have a party member who was just plain bored with the game, and therefor tried his best to get killed. we took his stuff and sold it. i had no idea how expensive monks belts were.

Greenish
2010-05-17, 11:19 AM
i had no idea how expensive monks belts were.Your unarmoured, 22 wis character sold a monk's belt?

gallagher
2010-05-17, 11:27 AM
Your unarmoured, 22 wis character sold a monk's belt?

i have a belt of battle, which is much more awesome, and i dont really use my unarmed strikes that often. that and inertial armor lasts 8 hours right now. i would rather have the gold

Greenish
2010-05-17, 11:33 AM
i have a belt of battle, which is much more awesome, and i dont really use my unarmed strikes that often. that and inertial armor lasts 8 hours right now. i would rather have the goldOh yeah, inertial armor. Anyway, Belt of Battle has charges.

sonofzeal
2010-05-17, 12:07 PM
first of all, that is 100% correct. i realize it is confusing.
Please please please either adopt the conventional notation, or use some different symbols to mark it as separate so people don't get horribly confused. I think we really need to clamp down on this alternate notation before it gets widespread, otherwise it'll lead to a whole lot more confusion down the road. Even something like "Fighter//Monk2 / PsiWar//Warrior8" would be much more readable.

gallagher
2010-05-17, 12:18 PM
Please please please either adopt the conventional notation, or use some different symbols to mark it as separate so people don't get horribly confused. I think we really need to clamp down on this alternate notation before it gets widespread, otherwise it'll lead to a whole lot more confusion down the road. Even something like "Fighter//Monk2 / PsiWar//Warrior8" would be much more readable.I will switch to proper notation when I get to a computer. My iPod is not able to load my sheet at the moment

Draz74
2010-05-17, 12:28 PM
Please please please either adopt the conventional notation, or use some different symbols to mark it as separate so people don't get horribly confused. I think we really need to clamp down on this alternate notation before it gets widespread, otherwise it'll lead to a whole lot more confusion down the road. Even something like "Fighter//Monk2 / PsiWar//Warrior8" would be much more readable.

Ugh, still hurts my eyes. How about (Fighter//Monk) 2 / (PsiWar//Warrior) 8?

gallagher
2010-05-17, 01:16 PM
ok, the character class notation is fixed.

so that leaves what should i buy and what prestige classes to look into. so far i have been given the advice to get the heartseeking amulet from MiC. that leaves me alot of money still to spend.

also, about how much money would it take to start an apothecary? it would be a great front for a poison shop as well

sofawall
2010-05-17, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't the usual notation be, for example, Fighter 10/Wizard 10//Barbarian 10/Druid 10, with Fighter and Wizard being one side of the Gestalt? That's what I've always seen used.

Draz74
2010-05-17, 02:50 PM
Wouldn't the usual notation be, for example, Fighter 10/Wizard 10//Barbarian 10/Druid 10, with Fighter and Wizard being one side of the Gestalt? That's what I've always seen used.

Yes, that's the standard.

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 03:43 PM
again, look into slayer. it's a 9/10 ML progression, it gets some fun class features, and at level 9 you have a permanent mind blank. but only when you want it.

as for items, I'd suggest getting yourself a pair of gloves of the balanced hand (I think...). the ones that give you TWF or ITWF if you already have it. It'd work nicely with your unarmed strike and give you another two attacks on a full attack.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-17, 04:22 PM
A deep crystal elvencraft bow of the wintermoon would be really nice for anyone who regularly alters their Strength score (as psychic warriors are wont to do). Also, grab a handful of +1 arrows of manifesting for the extra power points.

gallagher
2010-05-17, 06:16 PM
again, look into slayer. it's a 9/10 ML progression, it gets some fun class features, and at level 9 you have a permanent mind blank. but only when you want it.

as for items, I'd suggest getting yourself a pair of gloves of the balanced hand (I think...). the ones that give you TWF or ITWF if you already have it. It'd work nicely with your unarmed strike and give you another two attacks on a full attack.where are these gloves to which you refer?

and slayer does look mighty fun. the other one i am considering is begging my DM to allow me to switch warrior for CW samurai for the intimidate bonus and improved initiative, then the next 10 levels be a ghost-faced killer (i think its called) and keep PW on the other side

gallagher
2010-05-17, 06:39 PM
also, would Warmind levels stack with psychic warrior levels for powers, power points, and my Soulbound weapon?

Greenish
2010-05-17, 06:40 PM
also, would Warmind levels stack with psychic warrior levels for powers, power points, and my Soulbound weapon?Warmind has a separate manifester progression. The power points would stack, but nothing else.