PDA

View Full Version : Force Points and Action Points [SW Rev Ed d20 & d20 Future]

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-17, 04:01 AM
I'm going to be running a game of d20 sci fi, using material form both d20 Future and the revised edition d20 rules for Star Wars.

I've dealt with most of the compatibility issues so far, but the one thing that is tripping me at the moment is this:
Action Points and Force Points serve roughly the same function in either game.
Action Points (AP) are awarded in large amounts - usually 5 + (level/2).
Force Points (FP) are awarded in small amounts - 1 per level, with heroic awards of 1 for serious amazingness, like destroying the Death Star.
AP effect 1 roll, or are used to power special abilities.
FP effect all rolls in a round.

What should I do?
Do I keep them separate? Do I grant SW classes a number of AP, and grant FP to d20 classes?
Do I merge them, and blend the two rules together?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-17, 02:54 PM
Before this drops off to the third page and I get burnt at the stake for necromancy, I'd like to bump it back to the front page during prime time. :smallbiggrin:

Am I really the only one who will ever / has ever had to deal with blending and or converting Force and Action Points?

Caliphbubba
2010-05-17, 03:01 PM
I think I might do a ratio type deal say 5 to 1. You call them all AP, but if you spend 5 (or maybe 3?) you get the effects of a force point. So you can parcel it out little by little or blow it all in one go.

don't know if that really helps or not, but i like the idea of flexability.

So to say it another way;

I think I'd give every character a pool of points to be spent. if you spend 1 it affects the one roll, if you spend 3?4?5? it affects all your rolls for the round.

good luck

The Big Dice
2010-05-17, 03:14 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing Force Points and Destiny Points? The two are similar in some ways, but very different in others.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-17, 03:17 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing Force Points and Destiny Points? The two are similar in some ways, but very different in others.

No, I definitely mean Force Points.
SW rev Ed only has Force Points.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-20, 10:44 AM
How about this:

All classes gain Action Points as in d20 modern. SW classes gain 5 + 1/2 level AP.
An AP spent to boost your roll may be further enhanced by spending a second AP before the result of the roll is declared. The AP bonus to rolls is applied to all d20 checks made in that round.
Force users gain the benefit of the enhanced bonus to rolls only when they spend two AP as described above.
Spending an AP to power a special ability works as normal.
Force Points are gained as a reward for exceptional heroics. They act as two AP, which can only be spent together.

The Big Dice
2010-05-20, 04:38 PM
No, I definitely mean Force Points.
SW rev Ed only has Force Points.

I'm used to Saga edition, which is why the confuzzlement.

*Bows out gracefully, having only tasted shoe rather than putting the whole foot in the mouth**