PDA

View Full Version : Sluggy Freelance

Saph
2010-05-17, 09:00 AM
Today's comic (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20100517)

Yikes. :smalleek:

How much of what's presented in this comic do you think is true? Because if it's what it seems to be . . . well.

Calemyr
2010-05-17, 09:51 AM
It's obviously not completely correct. It's told from his perspective. It's now clear that since he never knew about Oasis's "pyrokenetic" abilities, he blames himself for the heat issue. He honestly believes he's personally responsible for killing the love of his best friend's life through his faulty mech. In truth, however, Oasis flipped out and roasted the mech from on top of it, and not even Bun-Bun was able to escape an enflamed Oasis unscathed.

We know he believes Zoe is dead, that is all. She may have been healed by futuristic 4U medicine, or she may be chunk of charcoal. We won't know for some time.

Torg's reaction could lead in two directions that I see. It is possible that he knows something about Zoe that Riff doesn't and only put two and two together just now. "A second unidentified individual was rushed to the hospital/medic/whatever with serious burns and is now stable and heavily sedated." or some-such. It strikes me as more likely (and definitely more Torg-like), however, that Torg believes he now knows a weak point in the REA mechs that he can exploit - a weak point that doesn't actually exist.

Trazoi
2010-05-17, 06:54 PM
I've given up on speculating the fate of Zoë. Rules of narrative convention suggest the more not-fully-convincing evidence is revealed, the likelier she's alive. But knowing this is mortality friendly Sluggy Freelance, it also suggest it's more likely she's really dead. So I've stopped guessing and am waiting to find out.

That said I'm strongly suspecting whatever happens that the gang will end up with an alt-universe Zoë as a replacement, regardless of the current state of the original.

Porthos
2010-05-17, 11:27 PM
Today's update is...

That is to say, tonight's strip might advanc..

No, I think I'll just sit tight and see where this goes for now.

Kris Strife
2010-05-19, 12:37 AM
I just finished catching up on a few years worth of comics. I left off just after Torg and Aylee got back for the dimension where Aylee's race had taken over earth. I'm starting to miss the good old days of spamming Satan. :smalltongue:

Saph
2010-05-26, 05:31 AM
Okay, now this is getting cool. It's good to see Riff back again.

golentan
2010-05-26, 12:36 PM
I dunno. It seems like calling his Masterness sad, and saying he's so happy to be able to help with that might have been a really effective tactic.

But yeah, Riff is being cool now that he is angry rather than mopey again.

lord_khaine
2010-05-26, 02:02 PM
Am i the only one to suspect that the armor is empty, and the real Rif is doing something else like climbing the tower?

golentan
2010-05-26, 02:05 PM
Am i the only one to suspect that the armor is empty, and the real Rif is doing something else like climping the tower?

No.

He's got all his little AI tools, and I don't even think I've seen Jeeves since he ran out. I figured it has to be a one two punch somehow.

Gez
2010-05-26, 02:48 PM
It does look a lot like a distraction indeed.

Calemyr
2010-05-26, 11:51 PM
Ho-Ho-Holy Crap! It's Oasis! If Riff is in that machine (and I doubt it given how loudly he's claiming he is), he's a dead man.

Coidzor
2010-05-27, 12:37 AM
Hmm. Harbinger. Now I'm imagining Oasis taunting commander Shepard.

And seeing the similarities between the two entities.

Mr._Blinky
2010-05-27, 02:59 AM
Hmm. Harbinger. Now I'm imagining Oasis taunting commander Shepard.

And seeing the similarities between the two entities.

So that's how she keeps getting ne-ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL!

Mauve Shirt
2010-05-28, 11:45 AM
I stopped reading Sluggy in February, but my sister told me it was getting good again so I just caught up.
:smalleek::smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Saph
2010-05-28, 11:54 AM
Yeah, it went through a quiet patch, but this arc is just starting to get good. I want to see what Riff comes up with next. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-05-29, 07:48 AM
I stopped reading Sluggy in February, but my sister told me it was getting good again so I just caught up.
:smalleek::smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Yeah, see, that's why you don't stop believing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffuCVLECpY)

Ubiq
2010-06-01, 12:27 PM
Confronted by Oasis and not a witty comment or insult in sight?

Riff not being in the suit is pretty much confirmed now. Of course, by now, he's probably standing behind Dr. Schlock, who is too busy watching this on a television screen to notice.

golentan
2010-06-01, 12:33 PM
Wait, did Oasis just fire an Omnitaser Supreme from a pickaxe?

Saph
2010-06-01, 01:08 PM
Yep, I think she did.

She looks REALLY different from the original Oasis, though. Acts very differently, too.

sihnfahl
2010-06-01, 01:10 PM
She looks REALLY different from the original Oasis, though. Acts very differently, too.
Given this is an alternate-universe Oasis, how DO you expect her to look and act?

Mauve Shirt
2010-06-01, 03:12 PM
I have a question. Is it confirmed that everyone in the main cast is going to die before the comic ends, or is that just what I read on tvtropes?

Saph
2010-06-01, 03:25 PM
Given this is an alternate-universe Oasis, how DO you expect her to look and act?

I dunno. She just looks less . . . Oasis-y. The alt-Torg comes across as almost identical to the original Torg, just more ruthless, but this Oasis doesn't look at all like the original Oasis. I can't imagine Oasis ever calling anyone "citizen".

golentan
2010-06-01, 03:53 PM
I dunno. She just looks less . . . Oasis-y. The alt-Torg comes across as almost identical to the original Torg, just more ruthless, but this Oasis doesn't look at all like the original Oasis. I can't imagine Oasis ever calling anyone "citizen".

Yeah, but oasis swaps personalities fairly often, between reprogrammings and reincarnation malarkey and lord knows what else.

As for the death question, I have no idea where we stand. The original plan was to kill off and rotate out the cast throughout the story (new characters every few chapters), but that fell by the wayside pretty quickly.

AstralFire
2010-06-09, 07:48 AM
I now find this picture appropriate.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x19/shadowinthelight/sluggy/zoe_life_20100609.png

Calemyr
2010-06-09, 09:11 AM
Harbinger reminds me a bit of Gwynn, actually, particularly when hanging upside down from Riff's mech, and I remember wondering if Kusari had any connection to Gwynn back when Schlock commented on knowing who she was. Makes me wonder if that's another lead up like Oasis's dagger or Gwynn's dependance on the book from That Which Redeems.

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-09, 11:17 PM
Well, Zoe's alive (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20100610). But, man, that's a brutal way to live.

Saph
2010-06-10, 04:06 AM
Yeep. That was pretty much exactly what I was afraid of back at the start of the arc.

SaintRidley
2010-06-10, 04:36 AM
Indeed, Saph.

Not entirely sure what else to say about it.

AstralFire
2010-06-10, 10:08 AM
...I'm without words.

golentan
2010-06-10, 11:18 AM
Convenient, isn't it, that Zoe is unrecognizable, unintelligible, and being shown to Riff by a man who desperately wants to keep tabs on him and has told him exactly what is most likely to make him cooperate, having admitted to laying it out as bait to draw Riff in.

And also had told him that as soon as he arrived the order was to kill him, even though he's clearly alive even though it would be very easy to make a dosage of many chemicals that would be lethal outside a hospital bed.

And is high up in His Masterness's organization but claims to be a sympathizer.

Yeah...

In case you're wondering, I don't believe this revelation.

Calemyr
2010-06-10, 11:48 AM
Like many of the characters we've seen in multiple dimensions, Rammer is consistently portrayed is fitting a given role. In Rammer's case, that role is as "the last good man in the government". Even though he was an antagonist in the prime dimension, Rammer was still an honorable man trying to do a good days work, even when the threats were way above his pay grade.

I wouldn't trust him, but I wouldn't assume he was lying either - instead, I assume that he isn't telling the full truth. Telling an outright lie would be too risky: Riff would have too great a chance of recognizing a faked face or voice, because I have no doubt that he sees her charred form every time he closes his eyes and hears her screams as Oasis cooked her - his behavior is just too streaked with guilt for it to be otherwise.

My guess: the video is legitimate, but outdated. They may have been able to heal her, at least somewhat, but video of her improving is probably unavailable and in any case not useful for Rammer's purposes.

AstralFire
2010-06-10, 12:30 PM
If this really isn't as bleak as it seems - and I'm not sure anymore - then my bet is on Rammer being fed misinformation. I agree, Rammer's always the 'last good guy in the government.' If he's an antagonist, it's because he doesn't have all the facts.

golentan
2010-06-10, 12:54 PM
If this really isn't as bleak as it seems - and I'm not sure anymore - then my bet is on Rammer being fed misinformation. I agree, Rammer's always the 'last good guy in the government.' If he's an antagonist, it's because he doesn't have all the facts.

Or because the Rebels are on the bad side.

Let's not forget, Alt-Torgs tend to be real pieces of work. While I'm not writing Rammer off as a bad guy that doesn't mean that he's honest. Or that the side of Right aligns with Riff and his interests. Or that...

Regardless, it's too easily faked and too sweet a set up for me to honestly accept any of this at face value. That's not to say it isn't true. But to accept it as such will require far more information.

Porthos
2010-06-10, 01:36 PM
Or because the Rebels are on the bad side.

Regardless of the rebels being Good Guys or Not, I would point out that a city/society Ruled by Mind Rape isn't exactly very high on the Just and Proper meter, either. :smallamused:

golentan
2010-06-10, 02:41 PM
Regardless of the rebels being Good Guys or Not, I would point out that a city/society Ruled by Mind Rape isn't exactly very high on the Just and Proper meter, either. :smallamused:

I never said it did. Playing your own game doesn't mean you have to recognize only two sides.

Suzuro
2010-06-10, 07:28 PM
Holy wow, just reread the entire archive, and I am flabbergasted at the latest arc.

I'm curious, though, throughout the Minion Master escapades, where the deuce did Aylee go to? Did they just leave her to fend for herself?

-Suzuro

Porthos
2010-06-10, 10:03 PM
Holy wow, just reread the entire archive, and I am flabbergasted at the latest arc.

I'm curious, though, throughout the Minion Master escapades, where the deuce did Aylee go to? Did they just leave her to fend for herself?

-Suzuro

She is hanging out with Gwynn (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20090812).

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-10, 11:19 PM
Um, yikes! (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20100611)

If he manages it, I can't imagine Torg ever forgiving Riff.

Mr._Blinky
2010-06-10, 11:39 PM
I get the feeling that next week we'll be back with Real!Torg and company.

Porthos
2010-06-10, 11:47 PM
I get the feeling that next week we'll be back with Real!Torg and company.

Read the news/info box at the top of the webpage. :smalltongue:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-06-10, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I can see this as an endcapper for this little jaunt into the Dimension of Rain. Bring on Torg Prime.

AstralFire
2010-06-11, 07:34 AM
Nice end shot. Very nice.

Mauve Shirt
2010-06-11, 09:19 AM
:smalleek: I don't WANT Zoe to die!

Calemyr
2010-06-11, 09:32 AM
And now we see why Riff's tagged kill-on-sight in 4U. The man's amiable apathy is impressive, but when something pushes him beyond it he can and will do very drastic things, such as turning Hereticorp into a crater. (I rather think his apathy is in fact a defense mechanism against that - the man works very hard not to care because when he does care he does things like this.)

I wonder if Rammer expected this conclusion. He wanted Riff's cooperation and he's getting it, but I don't think he realizes what a roused Riff entails. His Masterness, at least, does.

Coidzor
2010-06-14, 01:55 AM
Or they've had alt-Riffs in the past, but they were... unfocused. And Rammer wants the destructive influence focused. Very focused indeed.

Gez
2010-06-14, 10:07 AM
Crushestro's wife amuses me. Chestro indeed. :smallamused:

AstralFire
2010-06-15, 08:04 AM
As does Monicruel. These villains are my favorite new characters of the last few years. About time Frog had some competition.

Gez
2010-07-02, 02:32 AM
The "giant lollipop" made me laugh. I guessed what it was before even seeing the "moaaan".

Teln
2010-07-02, 12:11 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Pete's being too blatant about Nofun's mysoginy?

AstralFire
2010-07-02, 12:18 PM

No, I'm getting a little uncomfortable about it when paired with the general culture typing (even if it is also biting at the truth).

Gez
2010-07-02, 12:26 PM
It's a sad day when you can't have a Fu Manchu villain without being considered racist.

Teln
2010-07-02, 12:51 PM
I've got no problem with Fu Manchu villains, I'm just griping about the fact that Pete's rubbing Nofun's mysoginy in our faces. Seriously, a little subtlety wouldn't hurt.

Gez
2010-07-02, 01:57 PM
I don't think any of the villains are supposed to be subtle. HeretiCorp has some complex characterization (especially Irving Schlock); all others are silly.

Mr._Blinky
2010-07-02, 02:53 PM

No, I've been feeling the same way since they were introduced.

Saph
2010-07-02, 03:46 PM
Well, the villains are all supposed to be over-the-top. But yeah, it's less smoothly done than usual for Pete. I'm still looking forward to what bizarre plan Torg's come up with, though. :smallbiggrin:

Teln
2010-07-16, 12:15 PM
I have just one thing to say about today's comic: Weird girl, Sasha.

Gez
2010-07-20, 07:53 AM
Is it just me, or are the two lab monkeys here (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/100720) basically Chinese Riff and Chinese Torg? In their respective demeanors and facial structures that's what they look like. Even hairstyle (except for facial hair), and the shape of Not-Riff's glasses.

Trazoi
2010-07-20, 08:13 AM
Is it just me, or are the two lab monkeys here (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/100720) basically Chinese Riff and Chinese Torg? In their respective demeanors and facial structures that's what they look like. Even hairstyle (except for facial hair), and the shape of Not-Riff's glasses.
It's not just you. The Torg-like one is even called Teogh (although I'm not sure how "Wiungng" translates to Riff).

Welf
2010-07-29, 11:08 AM
Is it just me, or did the stalling in the comic recently became epic? It was annoying in the 4U arch, when day after day the punch line was "they kill people" or "everyone is drugged", but it's getting worse. I know that there are offline problems, but it still bugs me.

PhantomFox
2010-08-03, 12:57 AM
Anybody got the script to the Monty Python parrot sketch? But could you replace 'parrot' with 'joke'? Seriously, it's gone through running gag, past dead horse territory, and is probably at the glue factory by now.

Gez
2010-08-03, 03:28 AM
It starts to become funny once you get to attack the trucks delivering the glue from the factory.

Yeah, stalling. It seems he has hit a block, and is doing this instead of something like stick figures in spaaaaace.

Anteros
2010-08-03, 07:27 AM
He already said that this week was going to be filler. Just be happy there are comics at all instead of griping about the quality.

Kris Strife
2010-08-03, 07:37 AM
I have to be honest, I find the Dr. No-Fun PSAs funnier than I should. I know they're bad and that I'm a bad person, but they still make me grin... Especially the one about spending too much time in the bathroom.

Anteros
2010-08-03, 08:43 AM
I have to be honest, I find the Dr. No-Fun PSAs funnier than I should. I know they're bad and that I'm a bad person, but they still make me grin... Especially the one about spending too much time in the bathroom.

I have been laughing at them too. Don't worry...we can be horribly insensitive monsters together.

PhantomFox
2010-08-03, 02:44 PM
He already said that this week was going to be filler. Just be happy there are comics at all instead of griping about the quality.

I must have missed the memo. Even so, filler masquerading as plot is just confusing.

Coidzor
2010-08-04, 06:44 PM

It's so bad IT'S AWESOME!

Kris Strife
2010-08-04, 09:03 PM
It's so bad IT'S AWESOME!

Basically. I guess its a Refuge in Audacity kind of thing for me. :smallconfused:

Imgran
2010-12-06, 01:57 PM
Holy crap, Torg, not only did you think your away around 4 different serial villains at once from a standing stop (actually from an about-to-get-your-head-crushed stop), but you almost managed to keep everyone alive while doing it (all but Bestseid). And you got all of your people out. And you showed the generosity of a conqueror to Crushestro into the bargain. That's one heck of a Xanatos Gambit.

Riff was seriously holding you back, dude.

Gez
2010-12-06, 02:01 PM
And he probably* managed to get out of Crushestro's enemy list with that latest twist.

(* Depends on the strength of Crushestro's grudges versus his fondness for Monicruel.)

AstralFire
2010-12-06, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I was stunned by today's update. I was really afraid Mr. Abrams had finally gone one step too far last week. Guess my fears were for nothing.

John Campbell
2010-12-08, 01:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Torg's words in this strip seem kind of like metacommentary?

So not sorry to see this story arc end. Maybe we can stop wasting time and get back to stuff that actually matters now. Like, remember Riff and Zoë? Maybe even Bun-Bun. (And I hate Bun-Bun, but I'd rather him than ridiculous G.I. Joe villain parodies.)

Kurald Galain
2010-12-08, 10:43 AM
So not sorry to see this story arc end. Maybe we can stop wasting time and get back to stuff that actually matters now. Like, remember Riff and Zoë?

Yeah, I agree. These past arcs seem so extremely pointless compared to the actual plot. I'm starting to dislike Sluggy over these developments.

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-08, 04:07 PM
YES, I'm so glad Torg's realized this. I'm much more interested in Riff and Zoe.

Sholos
2010-12-08, 05:59 PM
I think it's Pete doing what he normally does. Going from a more serious storyline (City 4U) to the less serious (but still plot relevant). I will confess that I'm aching to see more of Riff, though.

iowaforever
2010-12-19, 03:59 PM
the whole thing with Sam and Sasha does make for some comedy, but i would perfer for things to start getting closer to resolution

although, i'm still not sure how they're going to stop Crushestro and the Dim-Sum Henchmen of Pang from going to war with Hereti-Corp and allowing for 4-U City to arise

Kurald Galain
2010-12-19, 05:04 PM
although, i'm still not sure how they're going to stop Crushestro and the Dim-Sum Henchmen of Pang from going to war with Hereti-Corp and allowing for 4-U City to arise

4-U City is in an alternate dimension, not in the future.

Gez
2010-12-19, 05:21 PM
Yes, but we see how this alternate dimension could be replicated in Sluggyverse Prime in the future.

Helanna
2010-12-19, 11:24 PM
So, I've been reading Sluggy for a while. But as the recent filler arcs began dragging on and on and on (to my short attention span, at least) I eventually began skipping updates and finally dropped it completely with the intent to pick it up later when I can read it all in one chunk and keep better track of what's going on.

So, I decided to start up since it seemed like it had switched back to something more interesting. I was trying to find a good place to start re-reading the last couple of chapters, and I remembered I really liked some of the early arcs that I haven't read for a while, and . . . long story short I've been reading for three days straight (hooray for holiday break!) and I'm still stuck in 2002. But hey, at least I won't get bored for the next week!

VanBuren
2010-12-20, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I think my favorite Sluggy Era was the Awkward Age between That Which Redeems and bROKEN.

Because I love Angsty Torg for some reason.

Coidzor
2010-12-20, 03:26 PM
Filler arcs? :smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2010-12-20, 05:43 PM
My favorite Sluggy arcs were everything involving K'Z'K and Gwynn, the Kesandru house, and That Which Redeems.

Helanna
2010-12-20, 10:26 PM
Filler arcs? :smallconfused:

Sorry, that was a terrible choice of words. They weren't filler arcs, just ones I wasn't really interested in. Also, I have a really hard time keeping track of what's going on in this comic day to day, so I lost interest even faster and figured that reading it in one big lump would make it easier for me to keep track of (like I said, short attention span. :smalltongue:) It's not that I don't like the comic, it just gave me trouble in day-to-day doses.

Also, gotta agree with loving That Which Redeems.

iowaforever
2010-12-24, 07:22 PM
That Which Redeems was one of my favorites, too, and Bun-bun v. Oasis made bROKEN all the more awesome (although the Mark-19 exploding made it drop a little :smallannoyed:)

the Holiday Wars are also up there inb my favorite arcs

Coidzor
2010-12-27, 02:50 AM
Something about these pawnz seem like they'd have potential use as part of a tabletop RPG.... :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2011-01-27, 04:50 AM
I'll say one thing. Strom cartainly knows how to make an exit with style. :smallcool:

Saph
2011-01-27, 04:50 PM
No kidding.

I wonder what he's planning? We've seen too much of him to think that he doesn't have something up his sleeve, but what on earth's he going to do with Oasis' head and the Zalias?

Porthos
2011-01-27, 05:15 PM
No kidding.

I wonder what he's planning? We've seen too much of him to think that he doesn't have something up his sleeve, but what on earth's he going to do with Oasis' head and the Zalias?

While there might be deeper plans, I figure the first things are:

A) Deliver Oasis' head to the mob bosses that hired him, so that he can "prove" that he killed Oasis.

B) When Oasis eventually comes back, like the phoenix she is, he can point to the fact that he rescued the Zalias in an attempt to stop Oasis from killing him. :smallbiggrin:

John Campbell
2011-01-28, 01:55 AM
-sigh- I suppose it was too much to hope for that the explosion would thin out the useless fifth-tier characters.

Ubiq
2011-02-09, 08:05 PM
So is this business with Shankraft part of Schlock's original plan or are we seeing some sort of side-project or what exactly? Barring it being used on a REA-1, I'm not seeing how this portable DFA fits into the Oasis triangle.

Of course, that might have been a red herring all along with the REA only being a way to secure funding for the Dimension Flux research and hide the research from prying eyes.

Porthos
2011-02-10, 02:17 AM
OK, today's installment of Sluggy (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110210) was literally laugh out loud funny. The more absurd it got, the harder I laughed.

Well done, Pete. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Ubiq
2011-02-10, 03:15 AM
I'm curious as to whether or not Roberts is dead as well since we don't see him here though he might just be offscreen. Schlock might have removed him from the board, but I doubt he'd do it if only because of Roberts' ability to annoy Dade Hereti.

Coidzor
2011-02-10, 03:34 AM
Indeed. I went poking around for a clue as to the fate of Roberts and haven't found anything. x,x

Kurald Galain
2011-02-10, 03:16 PM
Wow! I stop checking updates for a few weeks, then I look again and suddenly the comic has a very rapid plot! I like it already.

Poor Corsica... :smallwink:

Ubiq
2011-02-10, 09:36 PM
Poor Corsica... :smallwink:

Corsicas you mean. Unless you're referring to just #36, which was clearly the smartest of the entire series.

Another strip and still no sign of Roberts. Kind of hard to believe that he'd be killed offscreen after all these years without at least making a joke about it.

Porthos
2011-02-16, 12:51 AM
So the Dimension of Rain Nash (or STRAWMAN 78729626, if one prefers :smallwink:) is on the scene.

Yeah, I'ma gonna go hide over in the corner, thankyaveddymuch. :smalleek:

===

Seriously though, I didn't even recognize him without some sort of hat on. And then, WHAM, final panel.

Maybe we'll get a cross-dimensional rematch with the Harbinger. :smallcool:

Ubiq
2011-02-19, 03:53 AM
Same here; I spent the entire comic trying to figure out who he was and then, bam!

Also, I really love these Life and End-Times of Corsica weekend fillers.

Saph
2011-02-28, 08:02 PM
I wonder who's betraying who?

Kurald Galain
2011-03-01, 08:41 AM
I wonder who's betraying who?

I think it's Riff running a Xanatos here. Because he's smarter than this, really.

ChowGuy
2011-03-01, 02:49 PM
Because he's smarter than this, really.

Are you sure? Let me check my notes.

Ubiq
2011-05-03, 02:05 AM
For a while now, something about this 4U City storyline has been bugging me and I couldn't quite figure out what it is. It finally hit me the other day; we haven't seen any sign of Kusari this entire time.

Kusari is a character that I've been thinking about for a while now. During a recent dip into the archives, I run across a strip that struck me as interesting. Irving was giving her down the road for killing, if I recall correctly, Rammer and some other people; towards the end of the strip, he mentions knowing what is under that mask and her response is a hesitant "My bad".

This set me off looking for other strips with the character.

I found a few things particularly interesting.

Her first appearance was around Ch. 27 or so.
Daedalus mentions needing another Kusari, which implies that Hereti Corp is making them.
After her fight with Feng, she quickly heals up a broken leg.

We've heard a lot about nanites lately. Giant nanites. Medical nanites. Bullet manufacturing nanites. Medical nanites capable of repairing limbs.

Hereti-Corp had somebody working on nanites all those years ago, who Doctor Schlock was quite familiar with and whose face he would recognize. While curing the nanite virus, he notes that Doctor Crabtree always backed up her work so Hereti-Corp would have access that information.

So, what I'm saying here: Kusaris are Crabtree clones created via nanites.

Coidzor
2011-05-03, 12:01 PM
I go with the idea that this Harbinger is the result of Schlock successfully getting Oasis and Kusari merged into one entity.

So if your nanite idea is right, then Oasis reincarnate abilities + nanites that repair lethal damage... Faster recovery with full memories intact?

Welf
2011-05-04, 04:26 AM
Seven years? A bluff, or real? Does that mean Riff won't show up in the main story line with Torg any more?

Kurald Galain
2011-05-09, 10:33 AM
Dun dun DUNNNNN!!!

Porthos
2011-07-01, 12:16 AM
I'm calling it right now. Zoë will be saved via magic. Quite possibly The Book of E-Ville. What will happen is that they find her soul somewhere, somehow, and they will re-intergrate it back into her body.

Might take a few years real-time to happen, mind. :smallwink:

Welf
2011-07-01, 07:07 AM
I'm calling it right now. Zoë will be saved via magic. Quite possibly The Book of E-Ville. What will happen is that they find her soul somewhere, somehow, and they will re-intergrate it back into her body.

Might take a few years real-time to happen, mind. :smallwink:

Oh right, the soul thing. Totally forgot about that. You gotta give Sluggy this, the plot points are set up quite in advance.

Coidzor
2011-07-01, 09:21 AM
Seven years? A bluff, or real? Does that mean Riff won't show up in the main story line with Torg any more?

From what I could recall, oldRiff from 4Ucity-dimension was able to go back in time a ways when changing dimensions, but once he went he wasn't really able to go back to before he hopped over, at least not anytime close, without paradoxing it up.

ChowGuy
2011-07-01, 11:54 AM

Might take a few years real-time to happen, mind. :smallwink:Oh right, the soul thing. Totally forgot about that. You gotta give Sluggy this, the plot points are set up quite in advance.

The only way I could see for that to work is for it to have been "captured" in the necklace/tattoo (which you'll recall was left behind). Otherwise if Pete wants to 'bring back Zoe' at all, it likely will be the Zoe from the Dimension
of Lame, which would involve going back to the Dimension of Pain (where she died) and I'd frankly rather not see that horse get another beating.

Imgran
2011-07-01, 01:05 PM
Zoe from the Dimension of Lame is dead. REmember? It was her "blood of the innocent" that empowered Chaz to mutilate the Demon King.

It's hard for "dead for real" to really resonate in a story where time travel and dimensional travel are both fully in canon. Especially for such a critical character who it really doesn't look like her arc is played out. And especially since other characters have been thrown out of time, or placed in other seemingly fatal situations throughout the entire run of the strip and it's all gone back to more or less normal by the end of the storyline.

Torg, Gwynn, Riff, and IMHO Bun-Bun are all going to have to put their level best into this before fans will really give up on Zoe.

I know one thing. This is not over.

There was this one arc Phil Foglio drew waaaaaaay back which exhibited Riff working with a consciousness transfer machine. That, the Book of E-Vile, the demonic Soul Collectors, Bun-Bun's holiday connections, the Cult of K'Z'K and The Complete Unknown and possibly the Dimension of Pain are all still very much in play as get-Zoe-back angles. Not to mention the Sampire, Dr. Schlock, or Oasis, although those would be a true one in a billion shot.

Porthos
2011-07-01, 02:25 PM
Here's the way I look at this. I think these latest strips are saying, "Science has gone as far as it can to bring Zoë back. But Science alone is not enough."

Yet Mad Magic is as fundamental to Sluggy as Mad Science is. We've seen some crazy things magic-wise in the comic after all.

Now I don't know the exact mechanism. Perhaps her soul is floating around somewhere. Maybe those soul collectors we saw way back when decided to go after her anyway. Maybe K'Z'K got a hold of it somehow. He seems awfully keen on getting it (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20080701) (though he want's Gwynn's more, obviously).

I dunno. But it seems pretty likely to me that this isn't the end of the Zoë stuff.

SaintRidley
2011-07-01, 03:11 PM
Here's the way I look at this. I think these latest strips are saying, "Science has gone as far as it can to bring Zoë back. But Science alone is not enough."

Yet Mad Magic is as fundamental to Sluggy as Mad Science is. We've seen some crazy things magic-wise in the comic after all.

Now I don't know the exact mechanism. Perhaps her soul is floating around somewhere. Maybe those soul collectors we saw way back when decided to go after her anyway. Maybe K'Z'K got a hold of it somehow. He seems awfully keen on getting it (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20080701) (though he want's Gwynn's more, obviously).

I dunno. But it seems pretty likely to me that this isn't the end of the Zoë stuff.

Just the end for a little bit, if anything. Some time away from it to let the audience think it's for real and he's moving away from it and then bam.

whateverichoose
2011-07-02, 07:36 PM
There was this one arc Phil Foglio drew waaaaaaay back ... Phil Foglio??

Zoe being braindead makes me smile, the tears of fans bring me great joy.

Porthos
2011-07-02, 07:56 PM
Phil Foglio??

Ignoring the rest of the comment...

Phil did (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/030622) a guest week for Pete (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/weekly/030623). It was even made sorta kinda pseudo canonical (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/030630).

Interestingly enuf, it was Phil's guest week that first introduced me to Sluggy Freelance.

whateverichoose
2011-07-02, 08:15 PM
I remember those comics, I guess at the time I missed that they were drawn by phil foglio

The Succubus
2011-07-03, 02:17 PM
I remember when this comic used to contain a psychotic rabbit and the plot wasn't full of hideously complicated waffle. The earlier comics before all this Hereti-Corp nonsense were massively superior.

VanBuren
2011-07-03, 03:28 PM
I remember when this comic used to contain a psychotic rabbit and the plot wasn't full of hideously complicated waffle. The earlier comics before all this Hereti-Corp nonsense were massively superior.

You're right. That Which Redeems was vastly superior.

...That's what you mean, right?

Porthos
2011-07-03, 11:46 PM
Well, so much for that prediction. :smalleek:

Welf
2011-07-04, 09:23 AM
Didn't expect that.

VanBuren
2011-07-04, 02:44 PM
I was gonna ask if we ever had an example of the past successfully being changed, but then I remembered that we have a Schlock from an orphaned timeline whose young self is dead, so I guess all bets are off.

No idea where that leaves cross-dimensional travel though.

whateverichoose
2011-07-05, 03:08 PM
And with this twist I'm smiling again :smallbiggrin: .
Unfortunately it is suspicious that he gave up so easily so most likely there are further twists.

whateverichoose
2011-07-05, 03:09 PM
And with this twist I'm smiling again :smallbiggrin: .
Unfortunately it is suspicious that he gave up so easily so most likely there are further twists.

EDIT: sorry for the double post, I got an internal server error 500 and I reloaded the page

Porthos
2011-07-05, 11:30 PM
Clever. Very clever.

Makes me wonder what, if any, the repercussions are going to be though.

Aw, screw it. Doesn't matter right now. :smallcool:

Midnight Lurker
2011-07-06, 12:35 AM
...Pete, you magnificent bastard. :smallbiggrin::smallredface::smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2011-07-06, 03:37 AM
Wow, that was an impressive twist that i did not see comming, even though he did leave all the relevant hints in plain sight.

Cracklord
2011-07-06, 10:53 AM
That was both horrendously anti-climactic and deeply satisfying. I will end by saying I am truly humbled by your ingenuity, Pete, and that as usual, you have managed to surprise me.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-06, 11:42 AM
I haven't read Sluggy in a while and I'm trying to catch up now. Is anyone else having trouble with the archives? I go to the pick an arc doodad, to 4U City Red, but when I get to "pick a story" there are no links.

Porthos
2011-07-06, 01:36 PM
I haven't read Sluggy in a while and I'm trying to catch up now. Is anyone else having trouble with the archives? I go to the pick an arc doodad, to 4U City Red, but when I get to "pick a story" there are no links.

I've been having troubles as well. I think it might depend on what web browser you are using though.

I usually end up just navigating by month and start reading when I am close to the arc I want to see.

Anyway, here is the start of 4U City Red. (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110214) Though you might want to read Another Year in the Life of a Villain just before that arc, as it contains a decent amount of 4U City relevant info.

ETA:::

4U City "Grey" (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/090831)
4U City Green (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/100322)
4U City Blue (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/100510)

And the slightly silly 4U City Christmas (http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/091221) :smallwink:

VanBuren
2011-07-06, 05:43 PM
Well, she doesn't remember that she loves Torg but after everything we've been through I'll take it.

Ubiq
2011-07-06, 11:29 PM
Well, I said that Riff would bring back a Zoe that didn't remember her relationship with Torg. I thought it'd be another Alt-Zone, but I was still half-right.

VanBuren
2011-07-07, 02:34 AM
Well, I said that Riff would bring back a Zoe that didn't remember her relationship with Torg. I thought it'd be another Alt-Zone, but I was still half-right.

Well, let's be perfectly honest here. In the year or so leading up to bROKEN Torg and Zoe were definitely moving towards a relationship (moreso than usual, I mean) and by the time bROKEN started (and consequently, the time the snapshot was taken) all feelings were present, she simple hadn't put them together yet.

Imgran
2011-07-07, 07:44 AM
Torg gets a "down boy" rather than a slap or a kick to the groin, do notice.

And yeah, looks like everything's settling back down to normal, other than the nasty shock Zoe's going to get when she finds out she's been officially dead for awhile.

Sholos
2011-07-07, 01:04 PM
And this is why I continue to read Sluggy. Because Pete is a webcomic god.

Icedaemon
2011-07-07, 05:21 PM
Meh. I tend to like it if characters are killed off or otherwise removed before the writer runs out of related plots. Zoe being confirmed as beyond saving would have made for a better story and made future events where main characters' lives are at stake actually tense. At least this was a clever way of bringing her back, I guess.

Cracklord
2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
Meh. I tend to like it if characters are killed off or otherwise removed before the writer runs out of related plots. Zoe being confirmed as beyond saving would have made for a better story and made future events where main characters' lives are at stake actually tense. At least this was a clever way of bringing her back, I guess.

It doesn't make sense for her to be confirmed dead, however, given the setting they live in, and the fact that the characters are applying themselves to do something about it.
While I agree in principle that death should be a little more final, I really have nothing to complain about in this instance.

Kurald Galain
2011-09-12, 07:10 AM
Wow, I'm impressed by today's plot twist; I had totally missed that reference when they first showed the Dim Sum Henchmen.

Frecus
2011-09-12, 07:48 AM
I'm not as surprised as my suspicions are confirmed!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Deuterium Dawn
2011-10-05, 06:23 PM
I think one comic mocking social media was enough.

mwchase
2012-01-09, 01:37 AM
So, I've been reading for... a substantial span of time, and I've recently realized that I've completely lost track of how this is all supposed to fit together. Is there some kind of guide to the whole thing somewhere, or would I be better served with a reread?

Trazoi
2012-01-09, 01:59 AM
So, I've been reading for... a substantial span of time, and I've recently realized that I've completely lost track of how this is all supposed to fit together. Is there some kind of guide to the whole thing somewhere, or would I be better served with a reread?
I'd be asking questions on a forum (like here), as rereading Sluggy, a daily webcomic that started in 1997, isn't a task to take lightly.

mwchase
2012-01-09, 02:19 AM
I'd be asking questions on a forum (like here), as rereading Sluggy, a daily webcomic that started in 1997, isn't a task to take lightly.

I recently reread through about a year of Schlock Mercenary, over a short period of time, by accident (I just kept on clicking the little arrows, and suddenly I hit the previous day's strip!), so it might not be that bad. Interposition from later in my thought process: "Wait, there are crossovers, aren't there?" It's just... the stuff I can remember is vast and frightening, and hints at far more that I've forgotten.

I think I'll start with some really general stuff that I feel shaky on: what time travel model does the main dimension use? (IIRC, Zoë changed history once, so things seem accommodating, but then I check back to the end of the 4U stuff, and Riff is jabbering about paradoxes)

If I'm up on the various creepy-crawlies, aliens come from other planets in vanilla-style dimensions, and have various abilities excused by "they're aliens", there are multiple forms of zombies subject to different properties, and similarly with vampires and their clans, and demons originate from themed dimensions, but I seriously forget how they work, ghosts typically require supernatural assistance to manifest, there are eldritch abominations that might fit into one of the above categories but I'm not sure, and every holiday has a personification with associated powers and obligations. Character have associated shoulder imps, that can go off and have their own plotlines. Have I missed anything major?

The TVTropes entry for "Continuity Lock-Out" mentions the Torg Potter strips as relatively self-contained. Were there any repercussions from the Punyverse arc, and do any other arcs fit the "relatively self-contained" description?

Pursuant to the above "... wait, ****" moment, does anyone know of an up-to-date listing of crossovers, and, ideally, possibly differently, a concordance for comics that don't store their archives by date? (For the record, I'm fairly sure I disagree with some of the classifications from the top google hit for me, dragoneers.com)

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 02:39 AM

What? The last two years you mean?

mwchase
2012-01-09, 02:41 AM
What? The last two years you mean?

I've pretty much lost track of everything. Been reading for... freeow, it can't be longer than ten years, surely, but it also can't be much shorter.

Trazoi
2012-01-09, 02:57 AM
I've pretty much lost track of everything. Been reading for... freeow, it can't be longer than ten years, surely, but it also can't be much shorter.
Honestly I'm in the same boat (except I've only been reading for a few years. I finished reading the archive and decided if I invested that much time I might as well stick with the comic). I know the main characters and can remember the basics when they crop up but otherwise I just go with the ref links that Pete Abrams puts under the comic.

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 01:14 PM
So you guys just forgot about 4U city and the Research and Development Wars and how they're currently laying low waiting for Sascha to contact them or something and now some silly neckbeard has unleashed a zany misadventure on them while they ate up filler?

mwchase
2012-01-09, 01:22 PM
I can vaguely remember that, how there are various people, including HeretiCorp, after Oasis, and pursuing other agendas, which somehow ties into Torg's decision to work for the Minion Master.

But I'm trying to relate that to the other stuff that I know used to be important, like Aylee and clone-Aylee (created by Dr. Schlock, unless I'm just completely misremembering things. Also, she died, right?) and K'z'k, and it feels like the bulk of the archives has just unraveled into unrelated segments in my mind.

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 01:27 PM
I can vaguely remember that, how there are various people, including HeretiCorp, after Oasis, and pursuing other agendas, which somehow ties into Torg's decision to work for the Minion Master.

But I'm trying to relate that to the other stuff that I know used to be important, like Aylee and clone-Aylee (created by Dr. Schlock, unless I'm just completely misremembering things. Also, she died, right?) and K'z'k, and it feels like the bulk of the archives has just unraveled into unrelated segments in my mind.

K'z'k didn't really have anything to do with any other plot threads, so the only thing left is that there were some cultists trying to bring K'z'k back and/or effect the K'z'k prophecy themselves, but that was the 24 Days Later Geek parody and mostly got wrapped up aside from Mandy or Mindy or whatever her name was that was a Riff-girlfriend that was spying on them for the remnants of the cult and other than that there's not been jack said about them.

Clone-Aylee is dead, she died years ago. Like 5? 7? I think she died before 9/11 happened, even. Aylee's adaptability just seemed like it'd be valuable and so she was a target of opportunity acquisition by Old-Hereti-Corp. They're not really interested in her much at present, due to the whole Oasis Triangle thing.

As for Aylee's condition, she's off with Gwynn after Oasis sliced her throat up, not much to know there.

mwchase
2012-01-09, 01:36 PM
Hm, I feel like it would be easier for me to reassemble my understanding if I had help with the very, very basics.

The time travel, for example. Either Zoë is a terrible student, or she has changed history on at least one occasion. On the other hand, Riff and paradoxes, like I said. Plus, I do remember that Bun-bun effectively time-traveled and interacted with himself in Oceans Unmoving. (Plus at one point he could freeze time, but that's a different kettle of worms altogether.) And Torg once deliberately wrote an entire arc out of existence, though apparently Torg Potter stuff doesn't count in the larger world, for now? Is there some structured way that changes to the past are supposed to work, or is it just... intuitive?

Trazoi
2012-01-09, 04:00 PM
So you guys just forgot about 4U city and the Research and Development Wars and how they're currently laying low waiting for Sascha to contact them or something and now some silly neckbeard has unleashed a zany misadventure on them while they ate up filler?
Yes.

Of course I remembered now that you've mentioned it. But if you were to ask me why they were in that cabin without any hints, I'd have to think for a minute to remember back to the reason. Sluggy's arcs are like self-contained bubbles and I only retain the elements of the plot that the characters are concerned about at the moment. Right now they don't care about the R&D wars, so neither do I.

Coidzor
2012-01-09, 06:40 PM
Either Zoë is a terrible student, or she has changed history on at least one occasion.

It's always been slightly hard to follow exactly what was going on with her schooling, but I'm going to lean with the terrible student/misadventures causing her to have to retake courses angle.

I'm not sure why you think that's relevant to your understanding of the current arc though. :smallconfused:

On the other hand, Riff and paradoxes, like I said. Plus, I do remember that Bun-bun effectively time-traveled and interacted with himself in Oceans Unmoving. (Plus at one point he could freeze time, but that's a different kettle of worms altogether.) And Torg once deliberately wrote an entire arc out of existence, though apparently Torg Potter stuff doesn't count in the larger world, for now? Is there some structured way that changes to the past are supposed to work, or is it just... intuitive?

:smallconfused: The only non-self-contained, throwaway time travel incident has been when Riff went back in time, took a bioprofile of Zoe while she was still alive, and then used it on her mindless meat popsicle self at the end of the 4U city arc. And that's not even him changing the past, really. That's him basically finding a work around to resurrect dead zoe in the present(ish) after she died and then jumping back into the proper dimension at the right time.

Ocean's Unmoving just shot Bun-Bun back to the petshop where Torg purchased him from Uncle Time. That's pretty much it.

Torg Potter is almost completely and utterly irrelevant to the rest of the plot.

mwchase
2012-01-09, 06:51 PM
I pretty much feel like, at some point, my understanding collapsed under its own weight. So, I'm just left with stuff like "Hey, remember the time they teamed up with not-Lobo to fight not-Darth-Vader in not-Voltron?" and I can't figure out how any of this ever made sense.

Totally going to start a readthrough after I finish some... stuff.

Welf
2012-01-10, 01:31 PM
I pretty much feel like, at some point, my understanding collapsed under its own weight. So, I'm just left with stuff like "Hey, remember the time they teamed up with not-Lobo to fight not-Darth-Vader in not-Voltron?" and I can't figure out how any of this ever made sense.

Totally going to start a readthrough after I finish some... stuff.

You can still stop reading the comic? I did the same a few weeks ago when I realized that the story isn't going anywhere. I haven't regreted it.
There are way too many threads open, and Abrams keeps on opening new story elements. After 14 years this should come to an end, with an big pay-off that unifies all elements, but that just doesn't happen. Instead there are filler arcs like that Hamster-nom stuff.

Trazoi
2012-01-10, 04:05 PM
I like the characters enough that I can still enjoy each strip despite the story being a Gordian knot of plot threads. If they're still enjoyable I find switching things up with a Hamster-nom style story between heavy plot arcs to be refreshing.
It's like what Dominic Deegan would be with likeable characters, better art, writing, avoided the horrible elements and was just overall better.

The exception is Bun-bun who I loathe with a burning passion and the comic going back to another long holiday anthropomorphism arc again will make me seriously consider dumping the RSS feed.

VanBuren
2012-01-11, 07:54 PM
You can still stop reading the comic? I did the same a few weeks ago when I realized that the story isn't going anywhere. I haven't regreted it.
There are way too many threads open, and Abrams keeps on opening new story elements. After 14 years this should come to an end, with an big pay-off that unifies all elements, but that just doesn't happen. Instead there are filler arcs like that Hamster-nom stuff.

Actually, Pete maintains that the Hamster-nom arc is building up to something. It's just that, what with how much work that he wound up with this fall... well, just read the most recent newspost on the site.

That being said, Pete is slowly moving in a direction to start concluding various storylines, which he's also said in a previous WordOfGod. I think the estimated time of that was about 7 years or so.

He's like an American Oda.

The Succubus
2012-01-12, 07:13 PM
I like the characters enough that I can still enjoy each strip despite the story being a Gordian knot of plot threads. If they're still enjoyable I find switching things up with a Hamster-nom style story between heavy plot arcs to be refreshing.
It's like what Dominic Deegan would be with likeable characters, better art, writing, avoided the horrible elements and was just overall better.

The exception is Bun-bun who I loathe with a burning passion and the comic going back to another long holiday anthropomorphism arc again will make me seriously consider dumping the RSS feed.

I've actually enjoyed the recent arc with no crazy over-arcing evil scheme or horrendously complex storylines. It feels like a return to earlier days and as you say, it refreshes things and keeps the comic from getting bogged down. When the main plotline picks up again, my brain will be better able to cope with it. :smallsmile:

Although I think an overlong holiday arc would be a bit much for my tastes.

mwchase
2012-01-13, 01:41 AM
Well, sensible or not, I'm trying it out.

My knowledge of upcoming plots occasionally takes things to weird places (http://the-master-recap.tumblr.com/post/15765653208/i-think-we-exhausted-the-whole-stick-figure-thing).