PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragon Shaman's Draconic Aura

Laharal
2010-05-17, 10:39 AM
Hi,
Except from the Dragon spirit amulet in the magic item compendium and the double draconic aura feat, is there any items or feat that would enable me to improve my draconic auras? (i-e extend the range of my aura permanently, etc?)

Many thanks

deuxhero
2010-05-17, 10:57 AM
Do any of your auras have saving throws?

Laharal
2010-05-17, 11:06 AM
Negative, no saving throws.

deuxhero
2010-05-17, 05:22 PM
That rules out ability focus.

Wasn't there a bonus to auras gained if you have the dragonblooded subtype? I recall a 1st level feat that gave you it.

Laharal
2010-05-17, 06:13 PM
Dragon Shaman = no dragon blood.. Thanks for trying ;)

Fisticuffs
2010-05-17, 07:07 PM
If your DM lets you put all your dragon auras into one pool a one level dip in Dragon Lord will get you another aura and all of them a +1 bonus.

Thurbane
2010-05-17, 09:34 PM
Dilate Aura feat (FC II) lets you double the radius of your aura(s) once per encounter.

ProfMoriarty
2010-05-18, 08:42 AM
There is a shield enhancement meant to extend the range of auras called inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=4).

The enhancement is at the bottom of the page, expensive at +11,000 and has to be used with a light to tower shield (no bucklers) but also can produce a prayer effect as a free action for you and your allies once per day.

Perhaps your DM might let you apply the aura progression from the PrC Mythic Exemplar(Complete Champion) to the dragon shaman's aura. Admittedly the Exemplar specifically mentions extraordinary auras whereas dragon shaman's is supernatural, but what other choices are there really.

If you take leadership, you can try to get a cohort Squire of Legend(Complete Champion) who can extend the range of his/her allies' aura and other area effects by 50% as an immediate action.

gbprime
2010-05-18, 08:48 AM
Perhaps your DM might let you apply the aura progression from the PrC Mythic Exemplar(Complete Champion) to the dragon shaman's aura. Admittedly the Exemplar specifically mentions extraordinary auras whereas dragon shaman's is supernatural, but what other choices are there really.

You're talking about this ability?

"You gain +1 level of a class-based extraordinary ability to grant bonuses to allies (such as a marshal's auras)."

Surely that means +1 class level, not +1 to the aura bonus. Because otherwise you're adding +5 to the aura bonus over 10 PrC levels, which would be quite broken. But this results in a 5/10 advancement of the ability, which is really nothing to write home about...

ProfMoriarty
2010-05-18, 11:10 AM
You're talking about this ability?

"You gain +1 level of a class-based extraordinary ability to grant bonuses to allies (such as a marshal's auras)."

Surely that means +1 class level, not +1 to the aura bonus. Because otherwise you're adding +5 to the aura bonus over 10 PrC levels, which would be quite broken. But this results in a 5/10 advancement of the ability, which is really nothing to write home about...

Hmm, that would make more sense with the wording, and the aim of the ability is the marshal's auras, of which them major auras don't scale fast at all. On the other hand it is in the Complete Champion, and it is +4 over 10 levels (or nine if you don't want the last), starting at level 3...

In terms of balance if it did boost the bonus of the auras it wouldn't be compltely broken, because while boosting existing auras it would grant any new ones. While the more likely case you pointed out, where the class feature is increased by level, would not give significant progression but would grant more auras. If that is the case, dragon lord aura pooling would provide a better progression for the dragon shaman's aura.