PDA

View Full Version : Summoning help

TheThan
2010-05-17, 01:00 PM
I want to create a warforged druid (shapeshift variant, phb II) that uses summon nature’s ally to summon forth constructs. The idea is that hes' primarily a warrior (that uses built in weapons that spring out when he's in "combat mode") with miniature robots that pop off of his body and help him fight. Think Soundwave from transformers, only more of a warrior.

Unfortunately summon nature’s ally only summons animals and a few []i]magic beasts[/I]. While I could say they are mechanical versions of real animals (or just constructs with the same overall abilities), I really want them to be actual constructs, with all the benefits and drawbacks of being constructs, as they are supposed to be parts of his actual body.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to pull this little bit of summoning off?

Optimystik
2010-05-17, 01:16 PM
If you like psionics, Constructors do summon constructs.

The Effigy Master PrC from CArc also makes Constructs. While it can advance druid casting (it is not limited to arcane) you would need some way of getting simulacrum on your druid's list.to qualify. Also, you have to actually build your creations rather than summoning them, which can be a bit of a drag.

A more workable idea might be earth elementals.

gbprime
2010-05-17, 03:10 PM
Well there's the Conjure Ice Beast series of spells from Frostburn (page 91). Same list of critters as summon nature's ally, only they're constructs with a cold template from page 138 of that book.

My favorites to call up with that series are Hippogriffs. They lose their flight move, but they're size large critters for only a 2nd level spell and can soak a lot of damage with an average of 46 HP after the construct bonus. A 3rd level spell gets you a lion, which has enough HD to have DR 5/magic, and is still size large for that +30 HP, averaging 52 per.

Use higher level spells to conjure up multiples of these for a great Wall of Beef. Getting bigger creatures isn't nearly as effective.

Set
2010-05-17, 04:45 PM
Well there's the Conjure Ice Beast series of spells from Frostburn (page 91).

Sandstorm also has Summon Desert Ally to summon Dustform creatures (also constructs).

TheThan
2010-05-18, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys but I’m not sure if any of them will help me do what I’m looking at doing.

I think about the only real way is to homebrew a specialized version of the summon monster line that summons only constructs. I’m thinking small and medium animated objects primarily on this one. The spell line would replace the standard summon nature’s ally line. Also I realized since the character is a warforged that uses constructs to aid him in battle, I might have to borrow the repair damage line of spells. But that shouldn’t be any real issue.

Optimystik
2010-05-18, 01:32 PM
Druids and Constructs generally don't mix very well, but if your DM okays it go nuts.

You could also be a Warforged Ardent with the Natural World and Creation mantles... be a pseudo-druid and make constructs.

WoodenSword
2010-05-18, 01:59 PM
Druids and Constructs generally don't mix very well, but if your DM okays it go nuts.

You could also be a Warforged Ardent with the Natural World and Creation mantles... be a pseudo-druid and make constructs.

And construct-wise, make either Warforged Collosi (?) or Psion Hunters