PDA

View Full Version : Tank build

KurtKatze
2010-05-17, 04:17 PM
He guys,

I know there are handbooks, but i also know, that asking you, is asking the experts so here comes the situation:

We jsut started a campaign, all chars are levle 10 and it is supposed to be rather high power level (no cheese though) the group consists of 5 members:

me: Lesser Tiefling wizzard/Paragnostic Apostel/Incantatrix (severely nerfed, i only get the feats, the possibility to apply meta magic to wands, and the lvl 10 capstone if i take no other MM reducers, Polymorph is also completely banned as well as Celerity)

A whisper gnome blade Bravo with Swashbuckler, wielding 2 rapiers.

A Half Elf Ranger/Scout swifthunter ranged build with greater manyshot and the homebrew elven archery feat (dex to dmg with bows)

Another half elf let me see Monk, Swashbuckler, CoC, Wildrunner, Dervish.

We are using a hilarious pointbuy... should round up to about 42.... dm wants it so yeah well whatever i am a wizard ^^

Thing is: our 5th member wants to be a chaintripping tank, so crusader obviously, we mixed him a crusader/Warblade fighter (Human) but he is not such a great nerd as we others are, so he kinda finds it too complicated with 2 marshall classes.

How well would a Knight/Crusader work out in this group? Would he be severely underpowered?

I would really like to hear what you think about it.

Nidogg
2010-05-17, 04:20 PM
Knight is pretty good for the battlefeild controll role, but if he wants simple, then introduce him to grapple, bull rush and sunder. They can controll the battlefeild as easily as wall of blades? or chain gatling...

KurtKatze
2010-05-17, 04:25 PM
wow, fast thx ^^

y battlefild and Mage Protection are his jobs ^^ mage protection was my idea but he wanted a controlling tank with tripping. No Psych warrior though should have seen the look on his face confronting him with ToB ^^ no psionics... unfortunately

Eldariel
2010-05-17, 04:26 PM
Outside the Wizard, everyone is pretty average; Knight/Crusader or a straight Crusader would hold up just fine. Straight Crusader would get Thicket of Blades (the key stance) in 8 levels without a feat, as would Knight 6/Crusader 2 (or X 6/Crusader 2; Fighter, Barbarian, etc. are all enticing options too). Crusader 8 obviously does much better maneuver-wise though. Both can feat for it on level 6.

Straight Crusader is like as not to be stronger, but both can be decent. Much more depends on how he is built than the actual classes. But Crusader is a fine chassis, to be sure, and really the only reliable Tank in the game (since D&D doesn't do "aggro" and you can't move out of turn order to block people, you'll have to do that with reach weapon and AoOs).

Optimystik
2010-05-17, 07:38 PM
But Crusader is a fine chassis, to be sure, and really the only reliable Tank in the game (since D&D doesn't do "aggro" and you can't move out of turn order to block people, you'll have to do that with reach weapon and AoOs).

I have to disagree - Psywars can mess with turn order just fine, and do other nice things like move comrades out of harm's way, forcibly keep opponents at bay by growing to enormous sizes and/or changing shape, take damage for allies etc.

Ardent with a Psywar dip (for proficiencies) can get even crazier, faster.

Eldariel
2010-05-18, 02:27 AM
I have to disagree - Psywars can mess with turn order just fine, and do other nice things like move comrades out of harm's way, forcibly keep opponents at bay by growing to enormous sizes and/or changing shape, take damage for allies etc.

Ardent with a Psywar dip (for proficiencies) can get even crazier, faster.

Alright, fine, the only mundane tank :smalltongue: Yeah, Psy War works just fine, as do most psionic gishes. That's slightly besides the point here though.

Critical
2010-05-18, 03:33 AM
Do a Fighter/Crusader instead.

Gnaeus
2010-05-18, 08:46 AM
Crusader 10.

Fighter 2/Crusader 8

or

Half Ogre Crusader 8. (assuming that enlarge + permanency is unavailable or likely to get dispelled, and that you, the only caster don't have the free action to enlarge him in every combat. Large size is key for the chain tripper.)

demidracolich
2010-05-18, 08:48 AM
Uh, he mentioned above the player was confused about ToB so preferably no crusader. Learn to read, people!!!!!!:smalltongue:

Gnaeus
2010-05-18, 08:52 AM
Uh, he mentioned above the player was confused about ToB so preferably no crusader. Learn to read, people!!!!!!:smalltongue:

No, he said that the player was confused by the interaction between 2 ToB classes. He even included crusader in the build he asked about.

Why don't you learn to read?

gallagher
2010-05-18, 09:08 AM
Just make sure that you have a high CON. DEX is also extremely important, but you knew that.

Keld Denar
2010-05-18, 12:59 PM
One thing to not if you plan on enlarging your tankly friend is that your Dex goes down by 2 points per size increase, meaning your ability to claim AoOs with Combat Reflexes is reduced by 1 as well. Just something a lot of people tend to miss in the excitement of being 12' tall.

WoodenSword
2010-05-18, 01:42 PM
For a tank:

Dwarf Paladin 5/Dwarven Defender 10/Cleric 5

Pick up Tower Shield proficiency and a magic carpet. Enter your defensive stance and fly to where you're needed. Wear the best Armor you can afford and carry a heavy shield for your off-hand

Gnaeus
2010-05-18, 02:08 PM
One thing to note if you plan on enlarging your tankly friend is that your Dex goes down by 2 points per size increase, meaning your ability to claim AoOs with Combat Reflexes is reduced by 1 as well. Just something a lot of people tend to miss in the excitement of being 12' tall.

That is true, and important, but not as important as 20 foot reach and a +5 on all your trip checks. Some bracers of opportunity or gloves of dex are cheap.

Eldariel
2010-05-18, 02:20 PM
For a tank:

Pick up Tower Shield proficiency and a magic carpet. Enter your defensive stance and fly to where you're needed. Wear the best Armor you can afford and carry a heavy shield for your off-hand

Except this isn't a Tank, this is a 5' Wall. That's why reach weapons and Thicket of Blades are so key in the first place. Nobody cares about Dwarven Defender so they'll just walk past him and fight real opponents instead, finishing him off once the dangerous party members are dead. And Cha penalty + Paladin is a nombo.

Greenish
2010-05-18, 02:28 PM
For a tank:

Pick up Tower Shield proficiency and a magic carpet. Enter your defensive stance and fly to where you're needed. Wear the best Armor you can afford and carry a heavy shield for your off-handNot only does that not work (DD can't move at all in defensive stance, except for the 5 foot step at level 8), but even if it did it would still suck like a vacuum cleaner intended for industrial use.

Why anyone would even bother to mention Dwarven Defender when Crusader is an option is beyond me. But then, I'm a ToB fanboy.