PDA

View Full Version : Statting a Fake Ultimate Hero

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-17, 05:50 PM
So I've got this character concept--probably more appropriate for an NPC, but it might be fun in a less-serious game. A character who is the quintessential Fake Ultimate Hero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeUltimateHero). A guy who looks like the Knight in Shining Armor but is really just good at managing to stay alive until the action's over.

My ideas so far:

-Should be nonmagical, or at least non-spellcasting.

-Should have a very good bluff, intimidate and diplomacy

-Should have very good hiding skills

-Also needs "a keen ear for danger," e.g decent spot/listen checks in order to keep himself alive.

-Should have good saves to represent the "luck" factor in his continued survival.

-Should have the gear and appearance expected of a knight in shining armor: lance, warhorse, sword and shield, and at the very least some decent brigandine-type armor. He doesn't have to be able to use these weapons effectively; his major offensive ability can be "throwing a rock and run" for all I care.

Fighter/Rogue seems like the obvious choice here. On the other hand, I'd really rather not blow a feat on Mounted Combat, yet it seems to me like he has to have it. Maybe a Knight 2/Rogue X (yet a Lawful Alignment just feels wrong for this character). Feats that grant rerolls or add to rolls may be a good idea to reflect on the whole "Better Lucky Than Good" part of his character. Ranger/Rogue, even, might work for the better saves and skills but that doesn't feel right. Does anyone have any other build suggestions, like feats maybe?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I said nothing about level because this might be a character concept I could take from 1-20 (if I'm, you know, insanely dedicated to a joke). So feat suggestions for any level requirement are welcome.

holywhippet
2010-05-17, 06:00 PM
No spellcasting is almost a waste - expeditious retreat is pretty much made for this kind of character.

I'd also think their armour could like like shiny full plate mail at a glance - but actually be made of aluminium and thus be extremely light and easy to run away in.

Such a character would want both high DEX and the improved initiative feat in order to be to to act first (and thus run away first).

Shot on the run is also a good idea - that way he can retreat and keep attacking his attackers. The run feat is a good idea also so if worst comes to worst they can really leg it.

I'm tempted to recommend levels in monk for the increased speed - but unless his armour is illusionary he won't be able to take advantage of it. The best alternative would be a belt of springing and striding.

Consider the leadership feat - he might have a supply of cohorts willing to leap into battle for him, even if they all get massacred he'll inexplicably be able to obtain more.

Il_Vec
2010-05-17, 06:10 PM
Is ToB available?

Also, a cleric of Olidammara, the Prankster God, could do it.

Or a Bard, with chainshirt+sword'n'board on early levels and later dipping on Fighter for extra feats and heavy armor. Bard could have the feeling of "Charge my friends! While I stand in the back and morally support you!"

Criptfeind
2010-05-17, 06:12 PM
Also with the leadership feat complete the image by optimizing the cohort and making it do most of the heavy lifting.

Catch
2010-05-17, 06:13 PM
Going the non-spellcasting route leaves out one class quite suited to pretending to be heroic - the Bard. With well-timed illusion spells, a few minor charms, and a liberal application of Glibness, a bard can style himself as the ultimate hero a la Gilderoy Lockhart, to drop a Harry Potter reference. I'm imagining a bard whose Inspire Courage songs are all about himself.

Take a couple of appropriate flaws like Shaky and Noncombatant and load up on Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel. As long as you can survive combat and make any witnesses think you're the victor, you are!

Hm. I rather like this character now. Do... something else. Now I wanna play.

@V: Wouldn't you want an inverse form of Glamered, though? Normal clothes that appear to be armor.

arguskos
2010-05-17, 06:14 PM
Needs more Glamered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#glamered), an armor enchantment everyone always forgets about.

holywhippet
2010-05-17, 06:16 PM
Needs more Glamered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#glamered), an armor enchantment everyone always forgets about.

I was thinking of something like that but was trying to stick to the request of avoiding magic.

arguskos
2010-05-17, 06:17 PM
I was thinking of something like that but was trying to stick to the request of avoiding magic.
Non-spellcasting was also an option, and glamered armor is ideal for this. I mean, you can have leather that looks like plate, which is awesome.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-17, 06:22 PM
Wellllll, technically "glammered" allows armor to assume the appearance of clothing, which seems to preclude assuming the appearance of heavier armor. That's probably one of those things that's so pedantic no DM is going to care though.

Still unsure if his non-rogue levels should be in Fighter or Knight: He has absolutely no need for Fighting Challenge (drawing aggro? More like fleeing it), but the free Mounted Combat is tempting. This guy can't play-act the Knight in Shining Armor if he can't look good riding a horse! Not to mention horses are even better for fleeing than the Run feat.

ToB is

The Rabbler
2010-05-17, 06:24 PM
I'd say you should pick up factotum with able learner so you can fuel your skills no mater what levels you take later. sticking with factotum might not be a bad idea either; int to skills helps with the bluff/diplomacy/intimidate, and the SLAs/day would get you the spells you need to bravely turn your tail and flee whenever danger rears it's ugly head (one cookie to anyone who got that).

then monk/paladin dips for the bonuses to saves and speed stuff. after that, a bit of bard wouldn't hurt.

also: get the teleporting reserve feat.

Coidzor
2010-05-17, 06:30 PM
My ideas so far:

-Should be nonmagical, or at least non-spellcasting.

-Should have a very good bluff, intimidate and diplomacy

-Should have very good hiding skills

-Also needs "a keen ear for danger," e.g decent spot/listen checks in order to keep himself alive.

-Should have good saves to represent the "luck" factor in his continued survival.

Aww man, aside from bluff and intimidate, this is pretty much Monks to a T.

As far as the suggestions go, I'd have to throw my support in with the Gilderoy Bard suggestion.

Catch
2010-05-17, 06:45 PM
As far as the suggestions go, I'd have to throw my support in with the Gilderoy Bard suggestion.

Who himself probably makes a lot of Suggestions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/suggestion.htm) :smallwink:

FlamingKobold
2010-05-17, 06:52 PM
+1 for Gilderoy Bard. It's a great idea.

Flickerdart
2010-05-17, 07:00 PM
I'm going to have to say Factotum/Chameleon. He can be the brave knight, then be a coward rogue ten minutes later. Enemies pursuing him won't think twice about the dirty thug by the side of the road - they're looking for Lord Smitey McRighteous, Paladin.

Nerdanel
2010-05-17, 07:06 PM
A monk dressed as a dashing swashbuckler, carrying a rapier he isn't proficient with, but which he thinks looks really cool and heroic and which therefore must be totally powerful. His feats are the likes of Persuasive and Skill Focus (Bluff).

PersonMan
2010-05-17, 07:55 PM
I sort of like the idea that he could be someone who was just there at the right/wrong time and the real hero person leaves or dies or something, and he takes the role of a Fake Ultimate Hero because "the people need someone to lead/help them/to look up to during this dark time" and be eager to pass off the mantle of Hero onto the PCs. It'd be interesting to play, at least.

Il_Vec
2010-05-17, 11:48 PM
Come to think of it, you know, wearing the armor non-proeficiently wouldn't hinder your character that much... So you could really be only Rogue.

But, I think that dipping Knight is... Strange, to say. I mean, the concept doesn't sound Lawful, and the Knight really IS the knight in shiny armor you pretend to be.

Masaioh
2010-05-18, 01:03 AM
How about Ranger? That way you can fight from a distance (and thus not get hurt) without spellcasting.