PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Accents?

TheLogman
2010-05-17, 09:42 PM
So, it's fairly well established that Dwarves talk with a sort of Scottish accent at times.

I have a pair of gnome twins coming up in a game I'm running that I'd like to have a sort of playful, fun attitude to them, but I feel like they need some sort of accent to set them apart as the kind of guys they are.

Ideas? I kinda imagine an Irish accent or something, something fairly unrefined and European?

World Eater
2010-05-17, 09:44 PM
Well, first off, I'm pretty sure dwarves speak like british gentlemenne.

Ashram
2010-05-17, 09:44 PM
As a joke, my group always play gnomes with nasally voices.

AslanCross
2010-05-17, 09:47 PM
As a joke, my group always play gnomes with nasally voices.

Of course, Gnomes depicted in CRPGs just have to have nasal voices. Jan Jansen in BG2, and Grobnar in NWN2 are the examples I really remember.

Jan was awesome for having a unique bazooka crossbow, though.

Lord of Syntax
2010-05-17, 09:52 PM
All of my Gnomes speak in thick Swiss accents.

holywhippet
2010-05-17, 09:52 PM
Grobnar didn't sounds especially nasal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEmWJmdZkHU

Raging Gene Ray
2010-05-17, 09:55 PM
In my Eberron campaign, gnomes and most of the inhabitants of the Zilargo area talk with Jersey/Brooklyn accents.

TheLogman
2010-05-17, 09:57 PM
In my Eberron campaign, gnomes and most of the inhabitants of the Zilargo area talk with Jersey/Brooklyn accents.

I like the idea of a Jersey/Brooklyn twin thing. I might roll with that.

Cealocanth
2010-05-17, 10:09 PM
Gnomes tend to talk playfully and free-willed, like a fairy.

"Hiya! That Hummingbirdy sure can fly speedy quick!"

Only, since gnomes actually have some cares in life, they tend to talk like a mix between fairies and humans.

"Hi! How's it going! That Hummingbird over there sure can fly faster than a twisted fizzle don'tcha think?"

As far as voice tone? Deffinetely a high pitched child-like voice, but throw a little nasal in there to make sure they're not mistaken with human children.

El Dorado
2010-05-17, 10:13 PM
Aussie accent is my first choice. British and Swiss would be awesome.

Prodan
2010-05-17, 10:23 PM
I've always imagined Irish accents myself.

Xallace
2010-05-17, 10:26 PM
All my gnomes speak in fractured English and thick Italian accents.
They also sport thick mustaches.
Many of them are plumbers.
They're not particularly adept at finding princesses.

Toliudar
2010-05-17, 10:28 PM
I've had excellent success with the North American version of a Norwegian accent, a la the movie Fargo. Sped up as fast as you as a player can think.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-17, 10:42 PM
Gnomes IMC are basically Antebellum to Late Victorian Yankees, with a steampunk tech level while everyone else ranges from the Dark Ages to the Baroque period. I play online so I can't do voices, sadly, but I imagine them sounding like Daniel Plainview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkP7Gnp7ek) (Daniel Day-Lewis in that scene), or possibly like William F. Buckley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8) if they're more educated. Also, Comedy is a very important aspect of their culture, so a lot of them affect cheeky Groucho Marx (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUXdrS2N4nM)-esque intonations. I'd love to work on my impressions of them, especially the "comedy" voice, just to make a gnome villain even more sinister. >_>

Mando Knight
2010-05-17, 11:39 PM
Depends. If they're supposed to be silly gnomes rather than tinkering-with-junk gnomes, then nasal and excited wor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo)ks. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KqjOGdOMtA)

Ravens_cry
2010-05-17, 11:46 PM
Aussie accent is my first choice. British and Swiss would be awesome.
I had a halfling with an Aussie accent, but that was because he was a Kobold Hunta'. :smalltongue:
DM pulled tried to pull Tuckers Kobolds on us.:smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2010-05-17, 11:46 PM
I tend to run gnomes as New York Jews. Watch a lot of Brighton Beach Memoirs and Woody Allen movies.

Malificus
2010-05-17, 11:47 PM
All my gnomes are Italian.

Shademan
2010-05-18, 02:24 AM
nynorsk.
tho' that only works if you're talking norwegian i the first place

Hendel
2010-05-18, 03:39 AM
Boi 'okey! This yurr whole talkn be oanly furr ee gnomespake. Arr, wot we'm be a-spaken abowt, zurrs an' marms? Em gnomes spaken notin speshul... Hurr hurr! Oi knows et! Us'ns spake likem er molecritters!

Eldan
2010-05-18, 03:42 AM
All of my Gnomes speak in thick Swiss accents.

All my characters do, regardless of race. Because I always talk with a swiss accent :smalltongue:

Hendel
2010-05-18, 03:53 AM
All my characters do, regardless of race. Because I always talk with a swiss accent :smalltongue:

Nice!

We Americans get tired of our boring accents and always want to emulate someone else.

Simba
2010-05-18, 03:57 AM
Everyone knows gnomes are from Zürich, right? So they need a swiss accept to go with that.

hamishspence
2010-05-18, 04:07 AM
What about a Yoda accent for gnomes?

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-18, 04:12 AM
They get enough hate already, why make it worse for them? :C

Ravens_cry
2010-05-18, 04:12 AM
What about a Yoda accent for gnomes?
Hmmm. . .too wise and sage that be. Maybe gnome elder better fit it would, but youngling tinker fey? Not fit so well it would.
But this my opinion is.

Ormur
2010-05-18, 07:06 AM
I picture them with Dutch accents.

Amphetryon
2010-05-18, 07:14 AM
German gnomes FTW.

hamishspence
2010-05-18, 07:26 AM
Hmmm. . .too wise and sage that be. Maybe gnome elder better fit it would, but youngling tinker fey? Not fit so well it would.
But this my opinion is.

I was thinking more Yoda at his most playful in ESB, before he starts teaching Luke. Still, his more gnomic phrases :smallbiggrin: might suit a more wise and elderly gnome.

Mr White
2010-05-18, 07:44 AM
I picture them with Dutch accents.

To be honest David the gnome is Dutch so you might be right.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-05-18, 09:23 AM
I had a halfling with an Aussie accent, but that was because he was a Kobold Hunta'. :smalltongue:
DM pulled tried to pull Tuckers Kobolds on us.:smallbiggrin:

I think elves with Aussie accents are way funny. But that might also be because the elf in question is also a hunter of sorts and the Druid has a crocodile for an animal companion.

Emmerask
2010-05-18, 09:28 AM
Irish accent what else? :smallbiggrin:

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-18, 09:32 AM
Gnomes can have no other accent than Irish, just as Dwarves may speak only in thick scottish accents.

aivanther
2010-05-18, 09:35 AM
Slavic accents. Normal gnomes speak like Russians, Whisper Gnomes speak like Ukranians, and Chaos Gnomes speak like Poles.

Jera
2010-05-18, 09:49 AM
Alot of my games are in Krynn so the gnomes speak as quickly as possible with as many run on words as possible. I throw in some l337 just for fun when it makes the words faster.

Whilst playing a gnome I actually got someone to ask me my name, I went of for about 4 minutes before I ran out of ideas for a genealogy... so I had to stop after only 83 generations. :smalleek:

AtwasAwamps
2010-05-18, 12:46 PM
To be honest David the gnome is Dutch so you might be right.

COMPLETELY OFF-TOPIC: I loved that show when I was growing up. My girlfriend discovered this and as a sweet, thoughtful gift, bought me the original hardcover illustrative book about gnomish culture and such from the the original creator of David the Gnome. I flipped through it, happily and smiling and praising her awesomeness as a girlfriend until I got to the page about gnomes growing up.

Topless gnome females are terrifying in the David the Gnome universe. My mind is still scarred.

COMPLETELY ON-TOPIC: I use an eastern European accent and double-time my speech speed.

Telonius
2010-05-18, 12:48 PM
I usually have their accents be either Munchkin or Oompa Loompa.

TroubleBrewing
2010-05-18, 12:49 PM
The gnome language is meant to be a humorous (albeit slightly racist) take on Arabic, as it is just Common, spoken backwards very quickly.

I'm not sure I like the idea of an Irish gnome, however. It lends itself too easily to leprechaun humor, which is cheap at best. :smalltongue:

However, Gnomes using Molespeech? A+, sir. You are a gentleman of taste and distinction.

ApeofLight
2010-05-18, 12:49 PM
Defiantly like a fairy or sprite voice would work. Would probably be like a not as thick dwarven accent, mix in some elven accent, and speed it up by about twice the normal speed.

So, probably just a nasaly voice that talks quickly. Almost childlike.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-18, 12:50 PM
Irish accent what else? :smallbiggrin:
*looks around thread*
Quite a bit actually.

Ormagoden
2010-05-18, 01:15 PM
They (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA), obviously (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jE33s51yY&feature=channel) sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEH3u2Qz4fc&feature=related) like (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_qGMfbtAk&feature=channel) this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ety9JGwRI&feature=channel).

TheThan
2010-05-18, 01:18 PM
I think they should have Italian accents, they need to wear pin-striped suits and run the Gnomish Mafia. Can you just imagine the hilarity when the PCs meet Don Twiddlethumbs.

The intimidation tactics would be great, someone wakes up next to the severed head of a unicorn...not to mention they have to break into gnomish sporadically in their speak and also talk with their hands.

Darakonis
2010-05-18, 01:46 PM
Huh... Three people have mentioned an Italian accent for gnomes. Out of curiosity, may I ask why? Do people equate Italians with gnomes?

The reason I find it peculiar (as well as some of the other accents mentioned here, such as Brooklyn) is because Italian is not an accent common to the traditional medieval fantasy setting.

I think we all agree that dwarves have Scottish accents. I imagine halflings with Irish accents (Leprechaun reference unintentional, honestly) and elves with British accents (I know there are a ton of British accents, but I don't know how to describe the one I have in mind. Obviously not cockney.) I've been stumped with the gnome accent, myself. Maybe cockney?

Peace,
-Darakonis

JohnnyCancer
2010-05-18, 02:15 PM
I was once the token Jew in a group that enjoyed being offensive for laughs, so in my honor Gnomes sprinkled in a lot of Yiddish words when they spoke and generally played off a number of Jewish stereotypes (negative and otherwise). A friend played one of those fancy Gnome shadow-whatsis and he did his best to sound like Morrissey. In my homebrew, Gnomes sound like old radio announcers or maybe Teddy Roosevelt.

Hzurr
2010-05-18, 03:36 PM
I think elves with Aussie accents are way funny. But that might also be because the elf in question is also a hunter of sorts and the Druid has a crocodile for an animal companion.

See, it should be the Drow that have Australian accents, since they're from Down Under.

In general, my thought are
Elves/Eladrin - "Posh British"
Halflings - Cockney
Humans - American
Dwarves - Scottish
Goliaths - Russian
Gnomes - New York Yiddish
Half-Orcs - German(?)

(An Alternate is that all elves have a French accent, since Elven = French)

Optimator
2010-05-18, 03:54 PM
I always pictured them with no accent or with an Irish accent.

Icewraith
2010-05-18, 05:48 PM
Our group doesn't tend to use the short folk, cause players don't seem to do the characters justice unless they've had multiple cups of coffee or a red bull.

Granted, those particular characterizations have been towards the "inquisitive and hyper" spectrum of PCs anyways, so...

TheLogman
2010-05-18, 07:37 PM
Huh... Three people have mentioned an Italian accent for gnomes. Out of curiosity, may I ask why? Do people equate Italians with gnomes?

The reason I find it peculiar (as well as some of the other accents mentioned here, such as Brooklyn) is because Italian is not an accent common to the traditional medieval fantasy setting.

I think we all agree that dwarves have Scottish accents. I imagine halflings with Irish accents (Leprechaun reference unintentional, honestly) and elves with British accents (I know there are a ton of British accents, but I don't know how to describe the one I have in mind. Obviously not cockney.) I've been stumped with the gnome accent, myself. Maybe cockney?

Peace,
-Darakonis

Actually, after talking to some RL friends, I decided to make the gnome characters have Cockney accents, since they were basically the stereotypical Trouble-causing Cockey Twins from the city.

The high ranking gnomes will probably have a different sort of accent. Italian is an interesting, since it should be one that gives an idea of culture and a higher position.

prufock
2010-05-18, 08:01 PM
I like my gnome's accents the same way I like them cooked - Cajun. My gnomes all sound like Gambit.

Swooper
2010-05-18, 08:01 PM
This. I don't play in English and I can't do a yiddish accent myself, but that's what it sounds like in my head. :smallbiggrin:

JohnnyCancer
2010-05-18, 09:26 PM
You could give them Pennsylvanian accents, seeing as how they have dealings with burrowing creatures. Punxsutawney sounds like a Gnomish name doesn't it?

Quincunx
2010-05-19, 02:03 AM
As a bonus for New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania gnomes, the natural speech rhythm there is very fast. You're gonna gatherspeed jus'tryin'akeepupwi'd'it.

prufrock: XCrawl gnomes?

Ravens_cry
2010-05-19, 02:07 AM
See, it should be the Drow that have Australian accents, since they're from Down Under.

Halflings - Cockney
Humans - American
Dwarves - Scottish
Goliaths - Russian
Half-Orcs - German(?)

(An Alternate is that all elves have a French accent, since Elven = French)
I did Half-Orcs as German. Well, a gruff, guttural tone that others described as German anywho.
Humans, depending on where they are from and what kind of character they are can have any range of accent.

prufock
2010-05-19, 06:08 AM
prufrock: XCrawl gnomes?

I just had to google XCrawl, so I can't say for sure. Never played it.

LibraryOgre
2010-05-19, 11:14 AM

To make the primary even more appropriate, consider that Drow are exiled surface world elves. Heck, make Elves a more rural British, to Eladrin's BBC voice, and you've got yourself a stereotype!

Telonius
2010-05-19, 12:04 PM
You could give them Pennsylvanian accents, seeing as how they have dealings with burrowing creatures. Punxsutawney sounds like a Gnomish name doesn't it?

Never thought of that. It'd have to be Pittsburghese, though, not just regular Pennsylvanian. A city with that many bridges has to be of Gnomish design. Though Steelers and Pirates suggest more Halfling or Kender influence than Gnome...

Darcy
2010-05-19, 01:38 PM
I think of gnomes as having kind of North English accents, with names like Boddynock, Namfoodle and Ellywick. Very Hiberno-Saxon. Alternatively they could have Maritime accents, ie Nova Scotia or Newfoundland.

Gorbash
2010-05-19, 04:10 PM
Accent of Londo Mollari from B5 seems suitable for a gnome.