PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Delusion: The Sixth Evening (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-18, 10:48 AM
Chapter 1: Ill Met By Moonlight

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/The_Colour_Out_Of_Space.jpg

Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? ~ Edgar Allan Poe

As each of you lie in rest you rise up abruptly and find it still dark. Unsure of what awoke you, you begin to lay back down when something glistening catches your eye. Through window or tent flap, doorway or tree bough, it dances like motes in a moonbeam. Entranced, you try to touch them, but they always remain just out of reach. You feel strangely compelled to follow it, and all weariness has fallen from you. Gathering your belongings, you begin pursuit. It is a journey that makes no good sense to undertake, yet it is deeply satisfying in some odd way. You notice nothing of the time that passes, but endless vistas pass by. Little do you pay mind to your surroundings however, your gaze only for the silvery specks. It must certainly have taken longer than the night, but no sign of dawn comes for what might have been hours or months.

Eventually you each come across a wide river and follow it upstream as the sky abruptly lightens. The forest thins somewhat and becomes rocky, and the roar of a waterfall is heard plainly. You eventually come to the base of a high bluff from which the river tumbles off high above. At the top, right on the edge of the bluff, is a tall tower of stone outlined in the morning light.

The roaming sparkles join with others in the shadow of the cliff, forming a scintillating cloud that roils with beautiful patterns in a joyful manner. The world then becomes more and yet less real as it feels you awake from a particularly deep sleep. You look around, and find yourself surrounded by a small party of others; blinking and looking a little dazed.

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC
Descriptions and ACTION!

OOC Thread Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8382337#post8382337)

List of NPC's By Last Post
Caspar Godfrey
- A journeyer to the Tower like the rest of you.
Haakem
- Head priest of St. Cuthbert's hospice.
Luna
- Head nurse of St. Cuthbert's hospice.
Saith
- Tinkerer and adventurer that brought you all to his tower.
Starla
- Midwife that delivered the freak baby.
Thales
- Sender of gifts. Calls himself the Last Sage.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-18, 05:24 PM
A young man stumbled forward, and violently shook his head, trying to clear his cluttered thoughts. He was wearing a long, flowing, robe, black as the night surrounding him, that seemed to be a favorite meal for moths, for it was covered in holes. He threw back his hood to reveal his face. He was a sharp looking young man, with flowing red hair, and sharp ice-blue eyes that seem to pierce straight through the very night. He is pale, tall, and lanky, but somehow he still seems menacing. Where am I? he asked in a smooth, silky voice. He then glanced around, completely ignoring the others around him, and walked towards the shimmering lights Beautiful, it truly is.
Finally, He realized that he was not alone. Spinning on his heels, he turned and glared at the men around him. He ran his slender fingers through his fiery hair Hello . . .

Strategos
2010-05-18, 09:48 PM
The woman with shoulder length blonde hair blinked herself awake and raised a clawed metal glove to cover her dark green eyes from the sun's glaring light. There are a number of small scars running along her arm.

She was wearing a simple chain shirt over a purple vest; a plain belt with a pair of daggers and a numer of pouches fastened to it hold up her dark leather pants with matching boots. At a closer look the claws on her steel gloves are merely decorative. There's a three sectioned backpack causally slung over her right shoulder and a guisarme strapped to her back.

"I'll never get used to waking to the sun." She mumbled to herself. She lowered her left hand and took a look at the surroundings. "I've never seen anything like this before." She said awestruck. She started to take a step towards the cloud but seemed to reconsider. She then saw the black robed man walk towards it and realised that she wasn't alone. She had a quick look at the others when the black robed man spoke.

"Good morning." She said, serving as a reply to the man and a greeting to the others. "Alicia Buchanan, at your service."

Bhu
2010-05-18, 10:34 PM
Walking out into the clearing is a young man who seems weary and older than he truly is. He is pale, and looks sickly despite a large frame of corded muscle and angry scars. His long black hair is uncombed and wild, and his pupil less black eyes seem more like a sharks than a human beings. His shadow seems to be alive and moves on it's own accord. The curved sword and armor he wears marks him as a mercenary of some sort.

He looks around like someone lost in a dream, or perhaps a madman in some sort of fugue. He sees the others and smiles with teeth sharper than a man should have and asks "Am I lucky enough to finally be dead yet?"

Serpentine
2010-05-18, 11:05 PM
A contraption stalks out of a nearby thicket. It is more or less humanoid, with two exaggeratedly long legs and strong-looking arms and chest. Its body is constructed from wood, stone, steel and a strange metal that has an almost oily sheen, but the shadows and colours from the surroundings almost wrap around it. Its glass eyes are too large for its face, and it has devices on the side of its head like idealised ears. Its face looks recently remodelled. It has a large bone bow slung over one shoulder, a quiver full of a range of arrows on the other, and the neatly dressed carcass of some beast draped around its neck. It pauses and examines you all with interest, then speaks in a voice that is flat, with occasional emphases and inflections that aren't quite right.
"Visitors. Interesting."
It moves towards the way to the tower with an oily, silent grace.*

*or wherever is appropriate.

Syka
2010-05-19, 09:59 AM
The next to approach is a young woman on a calm, if exhausted, bay horse. She slides out of the saddle carefully, leaving her bag tied on and walking with a shod quarterstaff in hand. Now that she is on the ground, you can see she is of middling height with blond hair that reaches to her back, and brown eyes as calm as her mount.

As she reaches the others on foot, with the bay trailing behind her, she leans heavily on the dual-use walking stick/quarterstaff,

It appears I am not the only one bewitched. Have any seen the one who is responsible for this enchantment, or are the stars once again the masters of our fate?

There is no smile on the woman's face, although a lilt to her voice may make one unsure if her comment was honest or a joke.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-19, 06:43 PM
The young man glares at the woman with the horse. I have not been enchanted. he states firmly and with conviction . Then a small smile crosses his face Except by the beauty of the women in this group. The smile quickly fades Why exactly is there a group again?

Strategos
2010-05-19, 08:43 PM
Alicia lets out a soft sigh. "I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of those questions." She says. "All I know is that I followed the lights because..." She trails off, looking a bit lost. "Actually I don't have a reason why come to think of it. Maybe it was some kind of enchantment." She takes a look around again, trying to make sense of things when comprehension dawns on her face. "Excuse me!" She calls out to odd contraption as it walks away. "You called us 'visitors' that means you live here right? Do you know where we are? Or why we're here?"

Serpentine
2010-05-19, 09:25 PM
(ooc: the following is subject to retconning and correction by VT. Note also: this is my first time, so I have no idea what's allowed and what's not and if I'm doing anything wrong and so on)

It halts and turns to face you.
"I am uncertain as to my "living" status, but your deduction is correct. Yes. No."
It shifts the quiver on its shoulder, turns and continues up the path.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-19, 09:38 PM
You say you live here? I have always find that concept very rude. Who are we to take up residency where ever we please, taking from the land as we wish. He takes a knee and runs his fingers through the running water. This water . . . he sighs,perhaps we should live like this water, living with nature, but not claiming that we own it. One can not own nature, my fair fellow. He slowly stands, his hair flickering in the wind like a flame, Nature owns us.

Syka
2010-05-19, 09:57 PM
The young man gets an...interesting look, "The point of an enchantment would be that you do not notice you are entranced so. I cannot be certain that is what is occurring, but it seems more likely than that we all happened, by chance, to follow glowing lights to the same area."

To the interesting creature heading toward tower, the young woman addresses her next statement,

"If you are familiar with this area, may I join you to where you are headed? I was apparently distracted enough on my travels here that I lost my bearings."

If she does not get any negative reactions to her request, the slight woman would draw even with the creature/machine.

While she was talking, the woman allows the bay to drink as desired and graze (if there is any such grazing around) until they need to go. The horse would leave with some resistance, as it had traveled fairly hard the previous night and was of the mind that they were finally settled.

Akal Saris
2010-05-19, 11:00 PM
Cildur Kith-Cimbaeth passed a hand over his dark eyes, trying to dispel the sleepy haze from his mind. He gritted his teeth, seeking to release himself.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk!"

The words rang out through the clearing, a vile oath that almost physically pained the ear. Cildur ignored the echoing words, concentrating on his still-clouded mind. He had fought against similar enchantments time and time again, yet this one was different. There! The effects of the strange spell suddenly wore off, revealing a beautiful cliffside. It had brought him to a strange place, seemingly peaceful at least. Too peaceful...something was missing here.

Silence!

Cildur brought his hand to his head, listening intently. The melodic voice that plagued him incessantly had dwindled to little more than a high-pitched whine, or perhaps that was simply the echo of two hundred years of whispers. Cildur smiled broadly - somehow he had escaped Father Lymic's grasp once again!

Suddenly energized by the thought, he glanced around at the others nearby. All of them fellow humans or wild children, it would seem, except for the strange...contraption. He tried to concentrate on what the others were saying, focusing on the woman on horseback.

"Uglúk u...ack! Sorry! I overheard you speaking there. So you were all called here as well, then?"

Cildur smiled at the others, revealing lines in an otherwise ageless face with patrician features. His hair had largely turned grayish-silver, while his clothes were finely made, though worn and stained by weather. There was something slightly unsettling about his appearance - likely the man was either a spell-caster or a wild child, one of those who had been touched by the forest spirits. He wore barbed golden bracers and epaulets, but was otherwise unarmored, though there was a steel and yew crossbow at his left side, with a mahogany lute slung over his left shoulder.

"My name is Cildur, of House Kith-Cimbaeth. If you'll permit me, I'll join you all in heading towards that tower then. Perhaps it has the answers we seek."

Cildur Kith-Cimbaeth:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JEObjcnXxRk/S_Syli9lqcI/AAAAAAAAAKY/VXcxa80ob9o/s800/Cildur.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-19, 11:17 PM
Strangely enough it is a rather handsome gathering, with all present of unusual comeliness. That is except for one figure that has come riding upon the seat of a funeral carriage, pulled by a gray clydesdale.

This is an ancient old fellow that may once have been tall, but has shriveled somewhat with age. Despite this he holds himself straight and firm. The exception is his head, which hangs at a stooped angle, favoring one side of his neck which is mangled and disfigured with scar tissues. This cranium is devoid of a single hair, showing wrinkled, pale skin mottled with age spots. Rheumy eyes of gray are almost dead with their lack of expression, though there resides within a watchful spark.

He wears a faded but well cut black suit of some kind which clothes all but his hands and head. Scars and callouses cover his strong and long-fingered hands.

The elderly fellow, instead of becoming alert as the glistening creatures move away from him, bows his head drowsily.

Serpentine
2010-05-20, 09:09 AM
The contraption pauses. Without looking at anyone, it says "The Creator expects you. All of you will follow me." It pauses. "I will answer questions, if you have them." It continues on its way up the path.

If everyone comes: It leads the way, looking around as it goes, very aware of its surroundings. It occasionally examines individuals with apparent curiosity.
If someone doesn't come: It tilts its head, and looks directly at the reluctant individual/s. "The Creator requires your presence in the observatory. I am to bring you. You will follow me." It continues staring until everyone moves to follow. Then it leads the way, looking around as it goes, very aware of its surroundings. It occasionally examines individuals with apparent curiosity.

Syka
2010-05-20, 09:23 AM
The woman is further surprised that the contraption appears to not just be familiar with the area, but also to know something about what happened to them. She mounts up and (tries to) draw even with the thing,

"Who is the Creator? I have not heard of such a being before. Am I right to assume he is why we have come?"

Serpentine
2010-05-20, 09:35 AM
It walks slowly enough that everyone can keep up with ease. "He is Saith. He is the one who built me. He studies the sky. You are. He called you." It reaches up and pulls the horse's head closer to it, to better examine its ear.
When someone stumbles on the steep rocky path, it looks carefully at the spot, and points out any similarly treacherous patches along the way.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-20, 05:33 PM
The young man smiles, Hmm . . . I shall follow you, for it seems that fate has thrust us together for a reason. He extends his hand to whomever will take it and bows, I am Elvis.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-20, 06:25 PM
The elderly fellow suddenly twitches and rouses himself with effort. He stands up slowly and shields his eyes with one hand, while the other spasms continuously with palsy.

"What the devil?" he says so faintly as to be almost unheard, the words seeming to die in his mangled throat.

Bhu
2010-05-20, 09:32 PM
"And what does your master need of a hired killer like me?"

Strategos
2010-05-20, 10:09 PM
"Yes, staying together is probably a good idea." She takes Elvis' offered hand. "Besides, I want to know why we were all called here." She spots the old man out of the corner if her eye. She takes her hand from Elvis' and walks over to him. "Are you alright sir?" She asks. "Do you need any help?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-20, 11:06 PM
The ancient begins to reach out a hand and then pulls it back. He wipes it on his pants hesitantly. There is something ultimately pathetic and disheartening about his personage. It's like facing one's mortality in the wrinkled flesh.

He shakes his head and climbs unsteadily down.

"The day I can't do this much will be the day you stick me in the back of this carriage." he whispers.

Akal Saris
2010-05-20, 11:14 PM
Cildur raised an eyebrow in quintessentially aristocratic fashion. Being near-ageless, he was a poor judge of age in others, but even he doubted the old man was too far from the grave.

Patting his gear to make sure it was safely fastened, he carefully made his way down the path, staying behind the old man and the others. He had no wish for them to fall and carry him with them.

Serpentine
2010-05-20, 11:51 PM
"And what does your master need of a hired killer like me?""I do not know."
The contraption makes sure everyone is coming before going too far.

(unless I do, in which case I say why)

Strategos
2010-05-21, 01:54 AM
"Oh. Alright then." She says, her good spirits beginning to fade. "Just ask me if you need anything. I'll help if I can." She begins to follow the odd contraption to the tower staying close by the old man, if he also follows, in case something happens.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-21, 01:37 PM
The speaking contraption approaches the base of the bluff and begins climbing up a steep stairwell carved into the side of the cliff. It seems used to the slickness of the stone caused by the damp mist of the falls and proceeds carefully but quickly. The stairs are concealed so well with the natural grain that until one is right on it, it remains unnoticeable. The silvery motes begin to glide up to the top of the tower, ignoring the stairwell completely.

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC
Who goes/stays where?

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 06:35 PM
Elvis follows the contraption, A sly grin plastered on his face. How odd he muses, I wonder if there is anything of value here

Akal Saris
2010-05-21, 07:00 PM
Cildur also follows the strange contraption.

Strategos
2010-05-21, 07:37 PM
Alicia follows the others up the stairway, taking things slowly so she doesn't trip and fall.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 07:48 PM
Elvis glares intently at Alicia Message, he mumbles. Then, his lips remain still, yet his voice rings out in her ears
(OOC:// For Alicia's eye's only)Like my saying that matters, you guys are still gonna read it
The old man gives me a strange vibe, his voice says to her

Syka
2010-05-21, 08:14 PM
After tending to her horse and making sure she has access to grazing (or at least the water), the young woman joins the group with her bag and walking stick in hand, crossbow on her back.

"As everyone else has been introduced, I suppose it would be helpful to know my name. I am Jessamine, although I can not say I know yet whether it is a pleasure to make your acquaintances yet."

As Jessamine is around longer, she gives of a distinctly proper feel. Her posture is upright and, despite having been traveling through the previous night, her clothes are well kept other than a layer of dust from the road. The only thing that stands out is the well crafted, almost jewelery like, metal weaving around her forearm from wrist to elbow.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 08:21 PM
Elvis gracefully takes Jessamine's hand, and kisses it. I hope you come to see that my aquanticence is a pleasure

Bhu
2010-05-21, 08:31 PM
To the contraption we are following:

"This may seem like an odd question, but has anyone been slain here recently?"

Strategos
2010-05-21, 08:31 PM
Alicia pauses for a second before continuing up the stairs.

((OoC / for Elvis - ))

"He looks harmless enough to me." She replies. "What exactly do you find off about him?"

Syka
2010-05-21, 08:47 PM
Jessamine

Jessamine allows her hand to be taken, as to do otherwise would be overtly rude "That remains to be seen, unfortunately." This man was confusing her slightly, what with the strange reaction to her appearance and now his apparent...friendliness.

As Jessamine moves away, she defers to the old man. "I am also available if you should need assistance."

She then moves up to the front, where the contraption and the young man are walking, "You said this Saith studies the sky. Did you mean the stars? What does he know of them?" Although Jessamine tries to mask it, there is a slight tone of eagerness in her voice.

((OOC: I forgot to mention in my previous post she has her bag and the few weapons she carries. I'm going to go edit that now.))

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 08:47 PM
Elvis seems to glide up the stairs, and leans in, whispering in Alicia's ear
I don't know, but my friends don't like him

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-21, 08:55 PM
Within the Tower

The elderly man leads his horse to the riverside, but doesn't release it from the wagon. He then follows along with a sort of quiet dignity. He takes one look around before proceeding up the stairs.

Halfway up, the stairwell leads into a wide tunnel that goes right into the side of the bluff. Crystal-paned lanterns hang from the roof, bathing the area in a homey glow. At the end of the tunnel is another stairwell, but this time far broader and not steep at all. A thick door stands ajar and the automton steps within. It leads you past door after door, and are taken through a series of hallways and stairs until you are nearly certain it is trying to confuse your sense of direction.

Eventually you all find yourself in a vast, circular room with massive slits several feet wide cut out of the six-foot tall walls all around. The slits have tall crystal windows in metal frames on hinges that have been opened to allow within the warm summer air. Through them the forest, mountains and falls can be seen from a beautiful aerial view.

Long tables filled with bits and pieces of this and that are set against the walls. Bookcases and shelves are prevalent between the tables, filled with tomes and neatly stacked parchments. In the farthest reaches a furnace, now cold, sits, with metalworking and glass blowing tools of all kinds.

What truly grabs your attention though is above. The roof is a great dome of silvery metal and colored crystal, forming a scene as of one looking up from a bed of wildflowers into the night sky. The very center of the dome scene is a giant luna-moth, done in such detail it almost seems alive.

A figure stands before a low table laden with decanters and pitchers. He smiles gently with a look of pleasant surprise that grows with each who enters.

"So the Sages knew what they were about... come forward travelers. Water? Wine? Tea? I am Saith, it is I who sent the stardust to find you."

As you come forward you see that Saith is not a large man, though there is a wiry strength to his movements that shows age has not yet taken its toll. Wrinkles are upon his tanned, leathery skin, more from exposure than age, hinting that this is not a man who stays only within dim libraries. He is completely bald and clean-shaven except for a long white mustache. His eyes though are bright, like two globes of polished gray glass. A deep intelligence radiates from them, and they flick about here and there energetically. His movements, though smooth and studied, are not without a good deal of motions with his hands, which seem unable to remain still for any given length of time.

He wears comfortable clothes that appear to be picked more for their durability than expense and fashion, and his feet covered by simple, sturdy boots. Upon his hands are tight brown gloves and a small ring with a polished crystal sphere set within it.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-21, 09:04 PM
Elvis walks forward and bows, Hello Saith, My name is Elvis, at your service. I shall take tea please, for I shall not sully my good behavior with wine. Two sugars and a spoon of honey, thank you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-21, 09:13 PM
"If you would, please Deebee?" Saith says with a nod to the automaton.

Strategos
2010-05-21, 09:52 PM
Alicia looks surprised. She looks like she's about to say something but stops herself. Instead she marvels at the sights of the tower.

She bows her head at Saith's introduction. "Alicia Buchanan, at your service." She takes a look at the spread on the table. "I'll have wine please. Red by preference." She gives him a small smile. "I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but I must ask. Why did you call us here?"

Bhu
2010-05-22, 12:06 AM
"I will pass on the drink until I have come to know you better. No offense meant. Old habits die hard."

Serpentine
2010-05-22, 01:02 AM
OOC: Waaaaiiiit! Wait for me! D= Stoopid time zones...

After Jessamine makes her introduction, the contraption pauses.
"Oh. Introductions. Basic manners. Primary humanoid interaction. I have been named "dee bee sixteen"", says DB-16. It points out particularly treacherous points as it climbs. In response to the question asked of it, "Well, there is this deer around my neck, here... But nothing not slain by myself, to my knowledge." DB-16 pauses. "Why do you ask?"
To Jessamine's question, "Yes, the stars and the rest of the sky. I don't know how much he knows. A lot. Very much more than me, anyway." It pauses again. "Then, so do most."
DB-16 enters the hall without looking at any of the sight - it's seen them many times. It walks towards another room, throwing a "meat first." in response to Saith's request. It enters the other room, and a minute later returns without the carcass (although still with its weapons). It moves to the table, and prepares the beverages as requested. Once it's finished preparing the tea, it sniffs it curiously, takes a sip, shrugs, and passes it to Elvis. The wine is also poured into a teacup, and passed to Alicia. Once done, it starts sampling all the food and drink, taking no more than a sip or a nibble before moving on.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 08:34 AM
The elderly man abruptly steps forward and offers a hand to Saith.

"Caspar Godfrey." he breathes.

"Glad to know..." Saith begins, clasping hands when the old man shows a distinct lack of frailty, nearly lifting Saith off his feet with a tug forward.

"Why, sir? Why?" Godfrey whispers hoarsely into his ear before releasing him.

Saith looks a bit discomfited, though recovers quickly and spreads his hand to indicate comfortable looking wooden chairs padded with leather, "Please sit, and I will explain myself and tell you the way of things."

As each of you take a seat, or remain standing as you prefer, he leans back in a chair himself with a crystalline goblet of cranberry juice.

This relaxed position remains only for a moment before he is leaning forward again, all focused energy.

He takes a sip of his drink to wet his throat and begins.

"I sought long and hard for each of you, and it is said you would come if I called. Friends, you may feel you were brought here, summoned or forced or coerced in some way... but the way of it is... there was no magic in the calling. I provided the way, but the will to follow was yours and yours alone. You wanted to follow the stardust, even if it was only on the subconscious level. It fascinated you and was familiar to you in ways that would not be to any other... and you know why this is." he says, and absentmindedly rubs his thumb around the goblet's rim, making a pleasant hum.

"Each of you have special ties to the ways of the sky. You may love, hate, or fear it, but it has changed you and shaped your path... as it has mine. I watched the stars in my early youth until my eyes were seared by the approach of a fallen star that destroyed my village."

He smiles and tap an eye with a forefinger, which makes the faint noise of nail on stone.

"It was a hard life, but as you see, I overcame it, and never did I fault the sky. I would never have learned to use my hands to craft and build and find the inner strength within me, as each of you have done. I was able to thus find ways of overcoming the handicap and my sight was multiplied beyond anything I could have achieved otherwise."

He then laughs, "Though imagine it, a blind man who sought to watch the dance of the stars. Ridicule was my constant companion, but as you see it did not deter me."

Froogleyboy
2010-05-22, 11:31 AM
Elvis sips at his tea, Okay, but that dosen't explain, what do you want with us?

Serpentine
2010-05-22, 11:33 AM
DB-16 watches you sip with potentially disconcerting intensity.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-22, 11:52 AM
May I help you?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 12:04 PM
"There is a fair amount of history in the telling." Saith admits. "I suppose it began with the Sages. Their story is long, but to put it succinctly, they are a conclave of seers that have devoted their lives to the foretelling of what is too come. True seers, who have proven the correctness of their vision time and again. It is said they came together after they were affected in some way by the falling stars. They began at first to try to determine when the next would fall, devoting all their combined energies. Lords ask their council often, as well as the occasional merchant. Whole towns have put together their resources to afford to send one to foresee possible destruction from above. I myself went, for I sought a way to gather those that would wish to join me on my venture."

He stands, and artificial or no, his eyes seem to sparkle.

"For I plan to journey off this world tonight, and into the beyond to see what lies above this land."

He looks each of you in the eye, one after another as he continues, "The Seven Sages have seen my return. It is then that their sight clouds, but they know that danger, in some form, will accompany me. I have asked you to come, to put yourself in harm's way if you will, to assure that this danger does not spread past this tower."

Walking over and pouring himself another drink he ends, "I have made precautions to every complication I can conceive."

He then gestures to the contraption and smiles at the interaction.
"Deebee here is one of those. I forged it for the possibility of war. I am not even certain as to how, but it is capable of thought and emotion. How this is I am not sure, but I believe the miracle was a blessing on this venture. Questions may be answered by this journey that all of us at some point have asked ourselves. To spy on the Outside, perhaps even predict the next fall... that is my goal. I just ask, are you willing to face the unknown?"

Froogleyboy
2010-05-22, 02:22 PM
Elvis downs the rest of his tea and gives Saith an intense look Seems interesting, but I still have one question. He places the cup on the table, and cracks his knuckles, Whemn do we start? His face then cracks into a sly grin as he laughs gingerly

Bhu
2010-05-22, 06:08 PM
"Facing the unknown is pretty much my life story. But...do you know who each of us is? It would seem odd to ask complete strangers to come here and hope that they can participate as a team without knowing each other or what we are all capable of. If we are to face something together we'll need to know a few things more than just one another's name."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 06:33 PM
"If my declaration of the intents for your bringing have not so far sent you running away, or leaping upon the madman, then I feel it was already a better showing than I feared." says Saith with a laugh, sounding somewhat relieved.
"I know only that you would come, but if you have decided to stay I am most interested in coming to know my brethren in ruin."

Strategos
2010-05-22, 07:17 PM
Alicia has been drinking her wine throughout Saith's story. "So you're going to take us to see the stars so that you can predict when they're going to fall?" She smiles. " That sounds like a goal I can get behind, but I do have a couple of questions." She places her empty cup back on the table. "Firstly, and most importantly, how are you going to take us above the world? Is it by some kind of magic? Secondly, just what do you want to know about us?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 07:48 PM
"I will not, at present, be actually taking any up with me. This is a trial run, but one that may bring danger with it. I have gone high but never quite far enough. Today I set for myself no limit. We will no longer be shackled!" Saith says passionately.

With that he stands and kisses the gem on his ring. Immediately there is the sound of creaking and the tinging of chimes. The windows above begin to separate, opening up and out like a beautiful crystalline flower. Left above is the great moth, which remains in midair despite the lack of supports. It gracefully begins to circle down in a spiral and lands with the barest of sounds upon the tower floor on six silvery legs.

As it does so you see that it is actually three dimensional, composed of layers of overlapping plates of metal rimmed quartz and glass of all sizes, thicknesses and tints. Within, through the distortion and mingling of light, a chamber can be seen, large enough to hold a medium sized creature.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-22, 08:51 PM
What in the name of . . .
Elvis's smile soon dissipates, leaving a his face bleak and nondescript. He then drops to his knees, staring at the moth, mesmerized.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-22, 09:10 PM
Caspar jaw works for a moment with emotion and tears roll silently down the creased face.

"This is worthy. If you'd clamped me in chains, and dragged me here, still I would say so." he wheezes. "You don't know... thank you."

Serpentine
2010-05-23, 05:37 AM
In response to Elvis, DB-16 draws back and looks elsewhere.
It pays more attention to Saith when he says its name, and shuffles with apparent self-conciousness. It then jumps in surprise as the ceiling opens, and stares at it with a great deal of curiosity. It approaches it and examines one of its wings.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-23, 10:22 AM
"As to what would I like to know? Anything those with the spirit to embrace this adventure wish to say. If there are any doubters, please, voice your concerns." Saith replies, smiling like a proud father over his sky-moth invention.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-23, 10:57 AM
Elvis reaches out to touch the moth, then quickly recoils his hand I've no doubts sir.

Akal Saris
2010-05-23, 01:19 PM
Cildur frowned at the invention with apprehension. He doubted that the strange engineer would truly manage to reach the stars with the moth-like contraption, as impressive as it was. He also didn't believe the inventor's claim that there was no magic or enchantment involved, though he understood why Saith would make such a claim. Believing that they were here of their own will would certainly make the others more pliable to his future suggestions.

But in this place he was finally free of that horrible whisper, for the first time in...decades? He had lost count over the years. So there was no question in Cildur's mind: he would aid this inventor's defense of his home, and hopefully learn more about this place and the creatures nearby. Perhaps he would even learn the secrets behind the man's moon-magic.

"I pledge my arm to your service, Saith," he said formally, dropping to a knee. "Tell me what we must do to aid your success."

Bhu
2010-05-23, 06:48 PM
"As to what would I like to know? Anything those with the spirit to embrace this adventure wish to say. If there are any doubters, please, voice your concerns." Saith replies, smiling like a proud father over his sky-moth invention.

"You do know who I am and my situation yes?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-23, 07:10 PM
Saith's glass orbs cannot show emotion, but his brows raise as he says, "Should I know you above others, sir?"

Strategos
2010-05-23, 07:17 PM
"How long do you think your journey will take?" Alicia asks, reluctantly turning away from the moth. "I'd like to know how long we have to prepare ourselves if trouble follows you."

Syka
2010-05-23, 08:45 PM
Jessamine

Jessamine accepts no drink, but greets Saith with a subdued enthusiasm, as she doubts a full showing of her anticipation would be appropriate. She would sit with the others a listen as they ask questions, adding her own,

"You say you and the Seven Sages have knowledge of the stars. Is there anything you could teach me prior to your departure? It would be greatly appreciated, sir."

Additionally, when the moth descends, she advances with the others to examine it more closely.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-23, 09:47 PM
Saith nods to Alicia, "I have journeyed only a day, until the air grew thinner than the highest peaks and the air so cold ice was as fire. I have prepared for these now. I will go until I can see naught but sky around me. It may be a fortnight for all I know."

"However." he continues, "The larder here is well stocked, for more than twice that. The game here plentiful, and the wine cellar and river open with my blessing. Would you like a tour?"

As he pauses to await an answer from those assembled he turns to Jessamine, "I am in no rush, though I admit to great impatience on this task. What I have is yours, though this library is dedicated to what I have discovered. I can show you tomes that would explain in far more detail than I'd have time."

"What you see, you may learn." he says with a slight smile.

Syka
2010-05-23, 10:43 PM
Jessamine

"For the opportunity to explore your library, I would gladly aid you to the best of my abilities for as long as you will have me. I thank you for the kindness." Jessamine nods deferentially to the sage, "A tour would be wonderful, you certainly chose a wonderful location in which to pursue your research.

"As for myself, I too seek knowledge of the stars, although I have not made much way down the path yet. They brought peace to the lands I was raised in, and have fascinated me since. On the whole, both nature and magic have been the guides to my desires for knowledge. I admit, I am not aggressive by nature, but traveling such as I do requires some knowledge of the martial arts, so I am not without some ability to aid you in the event of a conflict."

Jessamine smiles at the man, then continues to examine the moth-contraption, saying under her breath, "Fascinating." Her hand moves to touch one of the wings, but draws back before it has moved far from her body. Damaging this piece of art is not something she wants to risk.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-23, 10:56 PM
Saith chuckles to himself as the gentleness shown by all of you to his craft.

"I would not like it damaged, this is so, but do not fret. I have made it nigh unbreakable. Harder than adamantine. In the great heights above even a crack could kill me. No, it is solid."

He thumps a section hard, but only a deep gonging comes of it.

"You say you know some of the deeper disciplines. What paths do you follow?" he asks while waving everyone over to follow as he leads them about the room.

Bhu
2010-05-23, 11:52 PM
Saith's glass orbs cannot show emotion, but his brows raise as he says, "Should I know you above others, sir?"

"In all likelihood not. But considering those who do know me widely consider me cursed and a sign that death is on the horizon, I'm rather used to more chilly receptions than I have received here."

"They are right of course. I am cursed. And if you do not know the circumstances of it up front it is possible you should hear them before asking me on this venture."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-24, 08:52 AM
Strangely enough, to the dark haired man's admission Saith throws his head back and laughs.

"Sir, where do you see ourselves now? We are in a tower in the middle of the open, with the blue eye staring down at us. Us, who to a man, or woman, has already been targeted in our past by its wrath. If we are not already all of us cursed and begging for more bad luck by being here then I don't know the definition of the term!"

Strategos
2010-05-24, 09:33 AM
Alicia nods at Saith's answers. "Alright then, I don't have any more questions at the moment. Though I'd like to go on a tour as well."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-24, 09:50 AM
The spry tinkerer takes you around the observatory first within which you stand and explains the unique nature of the glass. He teaches you the phrases that darkens them to pitch blackness so that the sun overhead becomes but faint shadow, and another that causes them to become crystal clear, so that all that can be seen is the lacing of their metallic supports. Another word causes an illusion of the night sky to overlay all, each star exactly as it should be. He demonstrates that by speaking the day and hour of the year it will show how the stars would appear, as well as the three moons, great Galemon of the friendly white face, Keror the blue-tinted will'o'the'wisp that moves erratically across the sky, and Yuzla, the red, baleful eye, hardly brighter than the stars.

They windows also been somehow strengthened, so that the hardest blow with his smith hammer makes only a deep boooong and he claims, like his moth, that no energy, be it fire or lightning, will mar it.

The overstocked bookshelves are filled with natural and magical lore, as well as technical manuals. Most of them are of his own writing. He has studied the ways of the fey, why they dance under certain moons and pondered over the reasons they shun certain combinations of the moving stars and the still ones. Biographies of the survivors of starfall may be found next to alchemical recipes to aid glass blowing. This man is obviously a genius and a bibliophile of great account. There is enough knowledge stored here to keep one busy reading for a score of years.

Half-finished apparatus lie upon his tables of all sorts, many appearing as experiments or tests. An old cot lies by one with a blanket and goose down pillow, giving the impression that Saith rarely leaves his work.

Serpentine
2010-05-24, 10:30 AM
Us, who to a man, or woman, has already been targeted in our past by its wrath. If we are not already all of us cursed and begging for more bad luck by being here then I don't know the definition of the term!"DB-16 raises one hand.
"I'm not."
"...I think."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-24, 10:38 AM
"Nor were you invited here, Deebee. You are my good luck charm." Saith says with a wink.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-24, 03:46 PM
Well, this is all very interesting Elvis says with a smirk but I believe we have a job to do here, what would that be, again?

Syka
2010-05-24, 04:10 PM
Jessamine

As they begin to walk and learn the ways of the tower, Jessamine answers Saith without hesitation, "My desire is to learn of the stars, what causes their falls. All occurences I have encountered have had some...well, some would say they are coincidences, but the falls have been followed by great happenings- both for good and ill. As you would imagine, many are not willing or able to tutor on such a subject.

"As such, I have contented myself with the learning of the natural world, as well as what we know of the stars, and the magical world. Although I have no great arcane talent myself, it is a subject of great interest to me and I have learned some in the course of my studies."

As they tour the library, a smile comes to Jessamine's face as she sees they appear to share many of the same interests.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-24, 05:16 PM
Saith spreads his hands to Elvis' inquiry.

"Each of you was foretold to be of unusual skills and strengths that would aid me in this venture. When the time comes for their use I am certain you will know what you may lend." he replies, "Do not think me miserly, I am able to pay well if that is your wish."

"I've no skill for the arcane myself as such." Saith says to Jessamine. "But much have I learned from the dance of the fair folk and the rituals of many churches, though I offer my worship to none. I even allowed myself once to be taken in by a priest of Ruin. They say they can partake of the sky's power, and I learned much from him before sending a message to the Inquisitor at Forest Heart to capture the villain."

Froogleyboy
2010-05-24, 07:00 PM
If the arcane is what you seek Elvis says with a grin I'm your man he then throws his arms in the air, and is swallowed by a golden light, like that of the sun.

Strategos
2010-05-25, 09:18 AM
"Unusual skills is right." Alicia mutters to herself as she observes the passage of the moons and stars across the observatory roof. "This is marvelous" She says, as Saith shows off the resilience of his windows. "Are they indestructible? Or just highly resistant to damage?"

Alicia's eyes widen a little when Saith mentions he learned from a Ruin priest."You've certainly lived an interesting life sir. It's a wonder you've had time to build your tower." She jokes.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-25, 10:29 AM
"Well, as near indestructible as hardly makes any difference. A trick a dwarven sage showed me. Very, very difficult, but useful. Have it written down in a book of rituals somewhere." Saith replies and chuckles, "Well, the tower was only built as of 5 years before. The sage showed me the trick as well."

With that finally takes you through the door in the floor that you all came through, nearly dragging those who drool over that above. He shows you the larder and bedrooms, though the majority of the spaces are filled with building supplies, materials, and stockpiles of all kinds.

Apparently the lower reaches of the tower descend even farther than the base of the cliff, and on the fog-drenched steps by the falls you are introduced to a disquieting being. He appears an ageless, stocky man, with platinum blonde hair, tied into small braids. His eyes are light blue, like sunlight seen through deep water. He is called Titimear, and the master of the falls. It is truly his land that Saith has built upon, but as the best of comrades he granted Saith his eccentricities. He knows all that happens about the lands above and about the waters. His wife lives in the great depths below the tower he claims, where the waters run down into the land's heart. He assures that she knows all that occurs below.

The sun is low in the approaching evening sky at this point as Saith discusses his coming departure with Titimear.

Bhu
2010-05-25, 08:30 PM
"I don't have skill so much as power granted by the Dead. But it suffices in most cases."

Akal Saris
2010-05-25, 09:47 PM
Cildur scowled as they traveled through the observatory and met with his friend. He had little interest in staying here and researching the stars for the next decade in the tinker's library. Though he was glad to be in the tinker's tower, safe and warm, this was not his place. He belonged with his people, and his brother - wherever they were.

Seeing the tinker and Titimear pause in their discussion, Cildur interjected himself.

"Sir, you've been an excellent host," he began. "But your star-magic has brought us all far from our homes for a purpose, yes? What foes will you face in this endeavor, that require such an eclectic set of defenders?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-26, 11:00 AM
Both men turn to regard Cildur, and the strange blue eyed man looks him over thoughtfully.

He turns back to Saith and says in a deep, booming voice that cuts through the roar of the falls without a problem, "Didn't you explain to any how your Sages might have been blind for all the good they did in telling you WHAT the danger might be?"

"I had thought so." murmurs Saith and then takes a step towards Cildur, "Sir, I honestly cannot guess what may be encountered. Be a blessing if nothing occurred. That the sight of some of the greatest collections of Seers would be fogged by this mission was enough to cause them alarm. I have employed you blindly as well. To be ready for whatever may come, if anything does. I understand all too well the unappealing nature of the situation."

Froogleyboy
2010-05-26, 06:49 PM
Let's get get on with it then! Elvis yells with the enthusiasm of a young child. He cracks his knuckles and smiles, I'm ready

Bhu
2010-05-26, 11:07 PM
"My presence may end up being more trouble than its worth, but I'll go along with this as well."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-26, 11:21 PM
Saith smiles in response to Elvis' enthusiasm and nods to the raven-haired fellow, "May your skills not be needed then."

He speaks a few more words to the blue-eyed man, though the words are drowned out by the falls. The figure nods and then with a casual leap off the railing disappears into the tumbling waters and is swallowed up.

He beckons you all within and says, "I'd like to start in the morning if that's agreeable. Will that be enough time to make your preparations?"

Akal Saris
2010-05-27, 01:00 AM
"Of course," says Cildur smoothly, though inwardly he was annoyed. Without any idea what was coming, if anything, how were they supposed to prepare?

"Do you have any scrolls, potions, spellbooks, or other materials here?" he asked, figuring it was worth asking. "Or any guardians similar to Deedee who will assist us?"

Serpentine
2010-05-27, 02:42 AM
""Dee Bee". Sixteen. I'll go smoke some meat, for your supplies. Shall I show them where they can find things?"

OOC: ...Survival? :smallconfused: Shall I do a roll? Do I put them in a spoiler here? PMing is... inconvenient <.<

Strategos
2010-05-27, 06:06 AM
"I've fought with less preparation time than this before."Alicia says. "Though it'll be strange not fighting beside Master Albrechtson." She stops and frowns at her words "Huh. I guess it's Mister Albrechtson now. "

After a brief pause she once again wears a smile. "Anyway enough about that. Where exactly where will you be departing from? If anything tries to follow you back I assume that's where they'll first appear."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-27, 09:43 AM
"Let us retire to the observatory." responds Saith when questions begin to build and again you are taken through the now slightly more familiar maze.

He nods to the open observatory and gestures to the moth, "I shall be departing from here, as you see."

He kisses his ring again and the moth rises slowly and floats to the top as the panes of the roof begin to fold up. It pauses before a certain spot and the panes click into place perfectly around it, sealing the roof once more.

"I have quite a few scrolls and a few spares of my older research of spells that you are more than welcome to peruse." he says distractedly, as he peers about the room for specific examples.

Opening a door by a book case he shows a closet alike to a wine rack, with each scroll held within a secure reinforced glass container. Curious small depressions have been put about the glass in an ordered manner, and each bottle is divided into different hues for some purpose.

He also takes a few leather books, crisp and clean looking as if they had just been made. While looking through however, neither scroll nor books seem to be quite understandable to the casters of the group. Only Jessamine seems to show any recognition towards the material.

-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC

@Serpentine: Naw, don't think you need any special checks for smoking meat really. For stuff like that though, feel free to just spoiler it and use forum rollers. For stuff you don't want anyone peaking at just send to me.

Syka
2010-05-27, 10:54 AM
Jessamine

Before leaving the falls: Jessamine's eyes widen slightly when they are introduced to Titimear, but she checks herself. She nods to the man, "You are truly gracious. Thank you." After this encounter, she also looks up Saith differently. This man is more than different, and there is still much to learn of him.

As the discussion of powers continues, she is glad to hear there are those more adept than herself. "I am sure there is a reason each of us has been called. Our use must be more beneficial than detrimental."

Back in the tower: As they look through the scrolls and texts, Jessamine is enthralled. While she can recognize the writing, many of these are completely new to her. There are several that she was not even aware existed.

"Master Saith, may I ask where you acquired some of these spells? This is incredible..."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-27, 11:26 AM
"Being an orphan you are passed from church to church quite often." Saith responds. "Also in my journeys I have sought the knowledge of all who study the sky. Some of which I've mentioned, such as the fairy peoples like Titimear and the Ruiners."

"In the end, it also comes down to fifty year of study." he says with a wink.

Bhu
2010-05-27, 04:43 PM
"Well if we're going to plan to fight we need to know where the fight will likely be at so we can scout the location, as I'm assuming you'll be arriving back in a specific area along with any trouble that may be following you, and we should have some idea of what each of us can do."

Syka
2010-05-27, 09:21 PM
Jessamine

"If I can learn half as much in that time, I would count myself lucky. Do you think I would be able to speak with Titimear during your travel?"

It is such a wealth of knowledge, in both the books and people, Jessamine almost wouldn't know where to start without guidance. To this point in her life, most people- including scholars- have been wary of speaking of the sky's lest they offend the stars in some manner. To find someone who is not only a kindred spirit, but whom also has half a century of knowledge, that the young woman is still getting used to it.

When the man speaks of battle planning, however, Jessamine sobers. As she mentioned previously, despite some martial knowledge, it is certainly not her strong point for reasons other than lack of natural talent. "I suppose that is a good idea. At least that way, even if we are surprised, we will have a duty of some sort."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-27, 09:29 PM
"Indeed, I plan on arriving right back at the tower." responds Saith, "Please, mingle and compare. When you grow weary Deebee will show you to your beds."

He spreads his hands to Jessamine inquiry, "I have asked Titimear to aid you as he is willing. I can do little more than that. These are his falls, and being a fey spirit, he does as he pleases."

Strategos
2010-05-27, 09:34 PM
"The Tower seems like a fairly good defensive position to me." She says to the shadowy mercenary. "You're right. We should learn more about what we could do if it comes to battle." She smiles at him. "Perhaps you should start? I don't think you've even introduced yourself yet; and you mentioned earlier about drawing power from the dead that sounds... interesting. "

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-27, 09:39 PM
Saith settles into a chair and watches quietly but with interest at the interaction, and has taken a pad and ink pen, perhaps to document the events leading to his departure.

The sun fades away completely and the glass begins to glow gently. Bright enough to read by without straining but dim enough to give the feel of evening. It gives the observatory a homey but exotic feel, comforting yet dreamlike.

Those who look outside though see the occasional tiny spark of dim light that quickly fades away.

Bhu
2010-05-27, 10:36 PM
"The Tower seems like a fairly good defensive position to me." She says to the shadowy mercenary. "You're right. We should learn more about what we could do if it comes to battle." She smiles at him. "Perhaps you should start? I don't think you've even introduced yourself yet; and you mentioned earlier about drawing power from the dead that sounds... interesting. "

"I am called Storm Crow where I live. It's been so long since anyone called me my actual name I've forgotten it. The implication of the name is pretty much that death and trouble seems to follow me. And the Dead do follow me. They have protected me all my life and given me magical powers I don't fully understand. But as recompense they require me to be their instrument of vengeance on the living. Should I encounter the site of a murder I will be haunted by the souls of the victims until I go mad enough to take my own life, or murder their killer and anyone willing to stand in the way. I guess what I'm saying is that if any of you kill someone without cause I may be inevitably be compelled to come looking for you."

"It has given me a bit of a reputation. On the one hand everyone calls me a witch and wants me dead, and on the other since they believe I willingly gain revenge for those passed on that I am someone they can call on for help when they have no other hope. It's kept me busy."

Froogleyboy
2010-05-28, 12:07 AM
Elvis yawns and says Well, since you offered, I believe I shall retire to my quarters. Oh, Phoebe, where might those be?

Strategos
2010-05-28, 12:14 AM
Alicia instinctively rubs her left arm when Storm Crow mentions magical powers. "I've always known that I'd gotten off lightly." She says when he finishes. "I never knew just how right I was. Miranda can't walk without a cane and her skin is as grey as that of a corpse. You are haunted by spirits who ask you to kill for them or drive you mad." She sighs. "All I have to show is some scars and the feeling that I could have stopped it from happening."

"But 'the flames of the past are nought but ashes behind us, while those of the future burn brightly ahead'." She quotes, before abruptly changing the topic. "I've also studied the Art of Battle under Master Gustaph Albrechtson. At least that's what he called it most of the time, though early on in my apprenticeship he once called it the Sub-something-or-other. I've spent the last four years learning from him while we've been guarding trade caravans. So at least I'm used to fighting foes who strike unexpectedly." She gives a weak smile at this point.

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 12:14 AM
ooc: Bad choice of name :smallyuk: :smalltongue:

As others seem to be giving their skills, DB-16 doesn't want to be left out. "I hunt. Uh... It's what I was built for. I don't know if I can do anything else."
"DB-16", says DB-16 to Elvis. "This way. Would anyone else like to see, while we're going that way? I could... give you a tour of the kitchens and storerooms and things on the way, or something."
It shows anyone who wants to come along where things are in the kitchens, the "necessities", stores, and anything else they might be interested in on the way to the sleeping quarters.

Froogleyboy
2010-05-28, 12:31 AM
A look of despair crosses Elvis's face I am so sorry, Debee Sixteen! I could have swore people wore calling you Phoebe! the gloomy outlook quickly turns into a large grin, as his face usually does But at least now I know your name

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 01:09 AM
ooc: Stoopid ex-friend, ruining a perfectly good name for me forever :smallfrown:

"I understand that "natural" ears are imperfect, but it has been said repeatedly in your presence. Never mind. DB-16 is my new name, and now you know that. Watch your step, that cobble's loose again."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-28, 01:28 AM
Caspar clears his throat, and even Saith turns his head in surprise. There is something wholly forgettable about the ancient fellow, so that though he has accompanied the party through the entire tour he's been hardly more than a presence.

"I suppose death is also my profession." he whispers. "I was the undertaker for my town before it was destroyed."

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 01:29 AM
"What task did they need you to undertake?" :smallconfused:"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-28, 01:39 AM
"The preparation and burial of the dead. I took them under, metal person." Caspar rasps.

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 01:44 AM
"Oh."
"Took them under what? A waterfall?"

Froogleyboy
2010-05-28, 01:49 AM
I believe it means he buried them

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-28, 01:52 AM
"This thing will guard us?" Caspar says to Saith skeptically.

"That it has mastered speech at all is a miracle, sir Godfrey. It will learn." the scholar replies smoothly and gives DB-16 an encouraging smile.

Caspar makes a scoffing gurgle in his throat.

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 02:34 AM
"Ooooooh. ... So why weren't you called a "burier", then?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-28, 08:17 AM
Caspar just looks at the contraption and works his jaw a little.

"What would he bury then? Both are equally vague titles, Deebee." Saith interposes. "Some, though non-specific in origin, have particular meaning. Listen to context in speech and it will aid you in future understanding."

Serpentine
2010-05-28, 09:08 AM
"Odd." DB-16 shrugs. "Anyway, here are the sleeping quarters."

Froogleyboy
2010-05-28, 12:05 PM
Upon arriving at the quarters, Elvis looks around taking it all in

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-28, 06:36 PM
OOC

Ok, whats everyone want to do? Skip ahead to the launch? Get to know each other a bit more before heading to bed? Just let me know.

Syka
2010-05-28, 07:48 PM
((OOC: I'm good with either one. And I'll admit, I lol'ed at the exchange between Caspar and DB.))

Jessamine

Although she looks a tad discomfited with Storm Crow's description if his talents, you cannot be sure if it's because of what Storm Crow does or how accepting he seems to have become of it.

"It looks like we have an eclectic group. Hopefully we will be adequate for whatever threats arise. Pelor willing, there will be none and we can spend the next weeks relaxing.

"Thank you, DB. You have been very gracious."

Jessamine nods to the construct, very, VERY careful to get it's name correct.

Serpentine
2010-05-29, 06:22 AM
OOC: I'm sorta keen to get into it, but I don't mind.

DB-16's face-plates crinkle into something resembling a small smile.
"You are welcome." It pauses. "Do you need anything else? I will spend the night preparing that meat, in any case."

OOC: I'll get that meat done at some point!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-29, 09:10 AM
Cildur, Elvis and Caspar allow themselves to be escorted to their small, but comfortable rooms.

Saith stands and walks over to Jessamine and begins explaining the spells within the book. Though the spellcasters overhearing get the gist of his explanations it is far removed from their branch of knowledge.

Bhu
2010-05-30, 12:36 AM
(ooc I can go either way)

"So is there anything I can do at the moment?"

Strategos
2010-05-31, 02:21 AM
((OoC: I think it might be best to skip things along a bit.))

"I think I'd best be off to bed now too." Alicia says nodding at Saith. "We can prepare for your journey tomorrow sir."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-31, 02:24 PM
As each of you eventually head off to bed, or rest in the manner to which you are accustomed, sleep comes to you quickly despite the upcoming excitement....

-=-=-=-=-

Alicia

You sit up and find yourself back in the room of your hometown. It is dark, but lights pour in from outside and the sound of singing and whooping can be heard outside your open window. You look out the window to see the entire village gathered in colorful clothing, all dancing around a great bonfire. Tables burdened with great heaps of delicious food surround the clearing. You hop out the window and approach the gathering. They turn and everyone raises mugs, curtsies, or bows, showing friendship and recognition.

One particularly handsome fellow approaches and holds out his hand in invitation to dance. You twirl and waltz, spin and slide, and soon all others have formed a circle around you two, clapping in tune. As the music speeds up, you and your partner dance faster and everyone cheers louder. Your partner feels like he's sweating but finally you look down to see it's blood and his flesh seems to be slipping away beneath your grip. Each time you spin more flesh flings off till finally there is naught but a skeleton left. He takes a step back and grimaces, trying to cover his rib cage in embarrasment.

"He's naked!" "Cover them bones!" "Need to put some meat on!" they catcall.

You feel a sudden jarring pain and turn to see a villager hacking off a hunk of your butt with an eating knife. He runs over, still laughing, to stick it to your partner's. Another comes over and slashes at you as well. Soon the entire village, still laughing good naturedly, is pulling, cutting and tearing off your body to clothe the other man. Soon you find you are only a skeleton, and your partner is covered with your bleeding bits. The music starts back up again and you begin to dance, having no control over your bones. Each step is unbearable agony, but you can't control it, and, without lungs, you can't scream. Instead you appear to canter with a broad smile to the cheers of the crowd once more. Your bones start to creak soon though, and you begin to fall apart. Eventually your remains are strone about the dance floor, being crushed and kicked about by the festive dancers. Your partner steps over and lifts up your skull and brings it to his eye level. With your own torn and bloody lips he brings you close for a kiss...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Elvis

A sweet smell wafts by you, a scent so beguiling and intense that your mind whirls in ectasy. You look around and find yourself supported by an enormous flower. You stand up and find yourself in a field full of flowers at the edge of a river, a tower rising impossibly tall nearby. You stand and your shirt rips away. The wings on your back have grown by a hundred times, strong and beautiful. You beat them and lift into the air. You sail over the flowers, but the faster you fly the worst hunger pains gnaws at your stomach. Eventually you settle down by a particularly strong-smelling flower, which is filled with a thick golden liquid. You scoop some of it out and bring it to your mouth when a jar goes over you. Towering over you is Saith, who quickly turns up the jar and slams a lid on it before you can escape. He peers at you intently as the sky darkens with the rumble of thunder. The way the clouds form almost appear as a shadow behind the giant man.

"Half man, half flutterby..." he murmurs nonsensically. "Well well well well well!"

He takes you up and sets you on a shelf. From there you can see the rest of the gathering. Alicia dangles from a hooked stand, on display, her body a skeleton, only her head still fleshed and showing who she is. Cilder has grown fur, and his face set into a bestial snarl as he lies on the floor, expertly flayed and set as a rug. RB-16 stands stock still in a corner, a hatch opened on her and books lined within.
Jessamine's upper body sticks out from the top of a thick leather tome looks a bookmark. Storm Crow perches within a cage made of bone. Last of all you spot Caspar's suit upholstering a chair, but no sign of the elderly man.

Saith sticks a cottonball inside your jar and a new smell fills your sensitive nose. You find everything growing blurry and you dizzily fall...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Jessamine

Your troubled dreams are simply of darkness; shadowy images that seem to quietly but intently watch you. You then notice the sound of rushing wind and realize you have been falling all this time. You jerk up out of bed, twitching in reaction.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Storm Crow

You stand up amidst a gloomy brick road, the thick forest canopy blocking all but a little light. There are bed sheets and a tumbled old mattress lying there, a figure sprawled out upon it. You walk past and the figure stands, hair wild and eyes crazed and dull at the same time, red rimmed and with deep bags of fatigue. It hurries after you manically, moving inhumanly quick. You run in panic, but it easily keeps up, begging you to let it sleep. A town approaches, or at least you see the paths that would lead to houses, but at the end of each path are beds and cribs, and another man, woman or child gives crazed chase as you pass. They swarm around you from every direction, until you are ringed in by hundreds. "So tired!" "SLEEP!" "Put us to rest!" they howl. Though they claw and hammer on you, you feel no pain, just wave after wave of exhaustion beating upon you. They lift you up and you float upon the crowd, drifting and supported, but feeling more drained and tired with each moment until sight fades....

Bhu
2010-05-31, 09:03 PM
tribble

May I assume the Dead are asking me to kill a specific someone, or is this just a nightmare?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-05-31, 09:49 PM
OOC

@Bhu
You must assume it's a nightmare, as when you wake you are in bed, but it was quite vivid.

Serpentine
2010-05-31, 11:45 PM
DB-16 spends the night smoking the meat, preparing supplies, and gathering any scrolls, potions, weapons or other items that might be useful to either Saith or the rest of the party. If it runs out of things to do, it will go hunting for something else, possibly a rabbit or some sort of fowl.

OOC: Ha! Tolja I'd get that meat done eventually! =D

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-01, 12:32 AM
DB-16
As you roam to and fro about the corridors and halls of the towers, you hear the occasional thrashing or murmuring voices of the newcomers

Serpentine
2010-06-01, 01:21 AM
Just in case it's necessary...If it gets particularly loud or violent-sounding, DB-16 will go to look in on the loudest and most violent-sounding. It will stand by and watch, uncertain of what it should do. If, while it is standing there, the person it is watching has a particularly nasty bout, it will approach and attempt to gently - increasingly roughly, if the person takes a while to wake up and gets worse as it tries, thus starting to scare DB - awaken them.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-01, 07:04 PM
OOC

If any of you plan on being loud, let Serpentine know :smallwink:

Serpentine
2010-06-01, 08:02 PM
ooc: Hawt.

Bhu
2010-06-02, 12:36 AM
The nights events are prolly normal for me so I won't be too loud.

Strategos
2010-06-02, 01:12 AM
Alicia lets out a scream of pain before violently thrashing about in her bed.

Serpentine
2010-06-02, 07:11 AM
Aha!

DB-16 kneels next to Alicia and shakes her gently by the shoulder. When she doesn't wake but lashes out*, it shakes harder and says her name until she wakes up. DB-16 looks about as concerned and scared as its face-plates can make it look.

*I hope you don't mind the liberty...

Syka
2010-06-02, 06:54 PM
Jessamine

With a powerful jerk of her bodies muscles, Jessamine awakes. She makes no noise, but she is shaken and her breaths are coming quickly. Rather than lay back down, she sits at the end of the bed an attempts some calming strategies.

They do not work. She would light a lantern, if one is available, and make her way to the library to read until she is able to calm her mind sufficiently.

((If she can hear anyone, let me know, because she would go see what is happening.))

Strategos
2010-06-02, 07:15 PM
"Deebee? Then..." Alicia says as she is shaken awake, her breathing is rapid and irregular. She looks around and sees that she is in the room she was staying in Saith's tower. "Then that was just a bad dream." She sees the look on DB-16's face. "I'm alright now. Thank you for waking me up." She says, starting to calm down. "I hope I didn't worry you too much."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-02, 07:19 PM
Jessamine
There are lamps that seem to be continuously burning, though have switch at the base that opens and closes flaps to darken. You are heading up the stairs when you hear a scream.

Upon rushing back down you see one of the bedroom doors open and the metallic glint of DB-16 standing over a figure that is thrashing wildly.

Syka
2010-06-02, 07:45 PM
Jessamine

"DeeBee! DEEBEE!"

Jessamine hurries toward the open bedroom. She's not sure what is going on, but after what woke her...there is something not right going on this evening, that much she is sure of.

If it isn't clear that DB-16 isn't the one causing the screams, Jessamine would maintain some distance, and if she believes/ascertains that DB is the source then she would go to the closest bedroom/occupied area and try to get help.

For VT only....

Should I do a roll or some such using my Dreamtelling feat for what happened in my dream? Toootally forgot I had it, lol.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-02, 08:10 PM
Jessamine

DB16 appears to be shaking Alicia as you enter, who is lashing out at the metallic being, though the contraption does not appear to be doing her any actual damage.

Was gonna mention that :smallwink:

You can interpret your own dream if you think on it for 27 minutes.

Knowledge (the planes)
[roll0]

That isn't enough for an augery spell equivalent, but will give you an inkling at least of what it was portraying.

Serpentine
2010-06-02, 10:04 PM
DB-16 looks up at Jess when she runs in, but quickly turns back to Alicia. It has stopped shaking her.
"What happened? Were you being attacked? Was it some sort of fit? Sometimes animals thrash about like that if I don't get a clean shot-" It cuts itself short at that thought, and starts... well... feeling her up as it searches for some sort of wound. It starts with her scalp, and feels its way down her body looking for anything not right.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-02, 11:12 PM
ooc: Hawt.

Strategos
2010-06-02, 11:13 PM
"Uh... I'm okay Deebee, really." Squirming uncomfortably in it's hands. "It was just a bad dream, it didn't really happen. If it did I'd be dead, not injured. Trust me." She shudders at the memory. "Could... could you please let go of me?"

Serpentine
2010-06-02, 11:23 PM
VT and Alicia
DB-16's hands pause over the scars on her left side.
ooc: possibly VT-only, not sure, up to him.
[roll0] Heal check to determine any information about them from touch - depth, age, possible causes, etc.
It removes its hands as soon as the request is made, then looks at her blankly. "Dream." It doesn't really seem to understand.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-03, 08:53 AM
DB16

It looks like childhood puncture wounds, though they are long and many, as if hit by various projectiles of varying sizes and lengths.

Serpentine
2010-06-03, 11:37 AM
ooc, VT & AliciaOuch.

Strategos
2010-06-03, 05:55 PM
"A dream is... well... I don't really know." Alicia says. "You should probably ask Saith, he could probably explain it to you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" Alicia says when she sees Jessamine "There's nothing to worry about. I just had a bad dream."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-04, 11:01 AM
As you all converse there comes abruptly a heart-stopping cry that sounds impossible to come from any human throat. One of the bedroom doors flies off it's hinges, half-crushed, into the hallway. It is followed partially by the edge of a bed that wedges itself in the door frame.

Bhu
2010-06-04, 11:57 PM
Okay I'm grabbing my stabbity items and heading for the hallway

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 12:43 AM
ooc: Well, dang. There go my plans.

DB-16 leaps up, grabs his bow from the door way, places himself in the hall about... 20-30ft away, if that's possible, and in one swift motion draws and nocks a slender brown arrow. It draws the bow and stands motionless, weapon trained at the door, waiting for the threat to emerge.

VT[roll0] initiative. If possible, will ready an action to fire at anything emerging that looks threatening and isn't one of the guests or someone I know.
If this is indeed a fightable threat, next round will spend my move action to get the optimum position (probably staying within 30ft (as I presume I'll have to anyway) for my +1 with point blank shot, as I don't think I'll be able to use any of my sniping stuff), and my standard action to cast Hunter's Mercy. This will make my shot the next round an automatic critical. I will also use Rapid Shot that round, to get an extra attack.

Strategos
2010-06-05, 03:34 AM
"What in the hells is that?" Alicia asks when she hears the scream. She gets out of bed, grabs her Guisarme and runs out after DB-16, standing next to it in case anything tries to attack the bow wielding contraption up close. "We should probably meet up with the others." She suggests. "If we're under attack it would be best to have as many swords as possible with us."

For VT

Initiative: 1d20+3=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2548559/)

I'll assume my Iron Guard's Glare stance as well.
Rolling my maneuvers granted, working down the list on my character sheet:
1d6.extra(6)=2, 1d6.extra(6)=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2548567/)
Which grants me Stone Bones and Crusader's Strike

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-05, 08:45 AM
The guest bedrooms are arranged in two intersecting hallways, like a cross. You all sneak up to the room and wait, but nothing emerges. After a minute or two of careful listening you hear stifled sobs coming from the room.

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 09:28 AM
DB-16 listens, and looks around. If noone else steps forward straight away, it will approach quietly, bow drawn, from the side, and take a quick look inside.

VT
First of all, do I know whose room that is?
Secondly, [roll0] Move Silently.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-05, 09:40 AM
None of you recall who occupied this particular room, but as DB-16 approaches she sees the naked figure of Caspar curled on the ground. He appears unharmed from the doorway, but his entire body seems to be shuddering with sobs.

Serpentine
2010-06-05, 09:58 AM
It holds still a moment longer, watching and listening. When (if) it is clear there's no danger, it puts away the arrow and hooks the bow over its shoulder and approaches. It quickly looks over him for any wounds. If it appears safe to move him, it picks him up and moves him to another room. It settles him in the new bed, fetches various beverages available (water, milk, one or two types of alcohol), and goes over him more thoroughly for any damage. If it finds nothing, it leaves the door open. It searches the other room for any sources of danger or indication of what happened, and then takes up a post outside in the hallway.

VTSpot: [roll0]; Listen: [roll1]; quick Heal: [roll2]; Search: [roll3]; more leisurely Heal: [roll4]

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-05, 10:02 AM
The ancient fellow doesn't even wake as DB-16 picks him up and administers to him.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-06, 06:44 AM
OOC

Alright, anyone have a problem with skipping forward to the next day?

Strategos
2010-06-06, 08:27 AM
((OoC: No problems with me.))

Bhu
2010-06-06, 01:41 PM
(no problem for me)

Guess I'll head back to bed...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-06, 02:06 PM
Sleep comes much easier the rest of the night and eventually all awake to the morning. DB-16 leads you all to the observatory where a large breakfast has been set out. The roof has also been opened and the skycraft crouches upon the floor.

Syka
2010-06-06, 08:18 PM
Jessamine

Jessamine still took a bit to get back to sleep after the ruckus, but she wanders back to her room well before daylight. At the breakfast, and noticing the craft that looks well prepared for it's voyage, she inquires, "You plan to leave today, yes? Is there something that will alert us to your return, hopefully aside from a dangerous commotion.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-06, 08:37 PM
"Oh yes, I have prepared a sending for just that, have no worries." Saith replies around a mouthful of venison sausage.

It is a beautiful day for a launch and not a cloud is in the sky. The morning sun sun hits the crystal panes at an angle, sending jeweled beams about the room. The motes that brought you here dance with wild abandon and joy in the light.

Strategos
2010-06-06, 11:07 PM
Alicia stifles a yawn as she sits down to breakfast. "I hope everything goes well on your journey sir. Are there any last min-" She interrupts herself with another yawn, "Sorry about that, last night was a bit hectic. Are there any last minute details we need to go over before you leave?"

Serpentine
2010-06-07, 09:53 PM
DB-16 gathers anything that might be necessary or useful (and some things that it thinks might be, but probably won't) in a convenient place. Once there's nothing left to do on that score, it gathers all its gear and goes over them: it sharpens the arrows that can be sharpened and its spear and dagger, examines and oils its bow strings, attaches a new one, checks its bow, makes sure none of the other arrows are damaged, and so on.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-07, 10:04 PM
Saith chuckles, "I believe we've exhausted all possibilities of that. I am prepared, and what I can offer you in preparation I have. The awaited day! So long have I thought of it."

Bhu
2010-06-09, 12:05 AM
"So whats next?"

Strategos
2010-06-09, 12:46 AM
When Saith finishes Alicia nods"Alright then sir. I just wanted to double check." She goes back to eating her breakfast for a while before speaking up again. "I assume you'll be leaving after breakfast?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-09, 08:06 AM
"Yes, very soon now." Saith replies to Alicia, and his entire being seems repressed energy and enthusiasm, but he holds it in patiently.

Though previously unnoticed, Caspar, fully dressed again, shakes Saith's hand with a nod as everyone finishes up the morning repast.

"Bring us safety Master Starwatcher." the ancient rasps.

Saith returns the grasp and then walks about the skyship, tracing an elliptical line that glow faintly. The mirrored plates composing the construction swivel aside and the tinkerer steps up within the exposed chamber, which you now see has a comfortable chair on some type of mechanism. Several bottles issue forth a faint, humid vapor smelling of fresh air and a number of less recognizable objects are strapped to the sides. His face seems to have lost a decade in the delighted yet determined expression it holds as he says, '"Stay clear of the line."

He turns to DB-16 before entering, "Remember all I have taught you Deebee. I will not be back for perhaps some many days. I will have no directives for you save what I have already given to you. Listen to our guests except for where it deviates from my teachings. Is there understanding?"

Serpentine
2010-06-09, 08:51 AM
"There is." It pauses. "I'll get you a pheasant for your return."

Bhu
2010-06-09, 11:14 PM
"Good luck for what it's worth."

Syka
2010-06-10, 08:28 AM
Jessamine

"I hope your homecoming is as joyous as your departure."

Jessamine looks excited as well. A kindred spirit, going to lengths she could barely dream of now. For all her reluctant tutors of before, perhaps she has finally found one to help lead her on the path. The young woman's eyes only show the happiness, there is not a trace of doubt on her countenance that Saith will arrive back as he left.

Serpentine
2010-06-10, 12:06 PM
VTIn case you end up skipping over a bit.
Assuming nothing interesting happens in Saith's absence (AH! I knew that name sounds familiar! It's what I call Saithis Bladewing! Sorry, I digress), DB-16 will spend the time hunting for pheasant, as it said it would, as well as doing whatever anyone asks it to. The instant the signal comes that he's returning, it will stop anything its doing and race back to the launch room. It will arrange several of a variety of its arrows around it at hand, and stand on alert with its bow nocked and drawn.

Bhu
2010-06-11, 12:24 AM
"So...what does everyone wish to do whilst we await our hosts return?"

Serpentine
2010-06-11, 12:33 AM
"I will go hunting for pheasant, unless anyone wants my services." DB-16 pauses. "I suppose anyone can come with me, if they like..."

Strategos
2010-06-11, 12:34 AM
Alicia makes sure she's standing well behind the line. "Good luck sir. May your journey be swift, safe and profitable."

She shrugs at Storm Crow's question. "I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps we should prepare in case anything follows him back?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-11, 06:03 AM
Saith nods his head to the gathering and steps within.

The plates swivel back with an air-tight hiss and the line around the craft springs into life upon the brick floor, glowing brightly with a silvery light, much alike to the stardust. Though hidden by refraction, Saith appears to sit in the chair and make a gesture. With unexpected suddenness, the craft appears to fall upwards, along with lint and dust from the floor in that area.

It rapidly fades from view in the bright blue sky. The gentle sparkle of the stardust shoots upwards after it with a speed almost as great.

Strategos
2010-06-11, 08:21 AM
Alicia marvels at the stardust for a moment before turning to face Caspar. "Excuse me Mister Godfrey." She begins. "I was wondering if you had any idea about what went on outside your room last night? It had me worried."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-11, 11:35 AM
"My sleep was uneasy, that's all I recall. DB informed me there was some damage, which I will pay for." Caspar curtly replies.

-=-=-=-=-

OOC: So what do each of you do this day?

Serpentine
2010-06-12, 12:07 AM
OOC (basically what I said before): Unless something happens in Saith's absence, DB-16 will do whatever anyone asks it to, and otherwise spend the time hunting for pheasant.

Bhu
2010-06-12, 12:24 AM
I guess I'll try to get to know the others. There's nothing else for me to do after all.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-12, 09:45 PM
OOC: Well, was hoping some of the others would show. Akal is back from his trip, Froogley has been posting elsewhere...

I can skip ahead a bit, let you talk, explore in detail, just whatever you decide. Don't want to give away too much, but this may be the last bit of peace and quiet you'll have in this campaign :smallwink:

Bhu
2010-06-13, 12:26 AM
Have you chatted with theM? Asked if they still wanna play?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-13, 09:41 AM
Have you chatted with theM? Asked if they still wanna play?
Sure have, but haven't heard.

Syka
2010-06-13, 07:20 PM
Jessamine

After watching Saith leave, Jessamine would wander back to the library where she'd spent much of the previous night. If approached, she would speak, but as there are distractions she is not as outgoing as she would be otherwise. The texts Saith allowed her access to were just too tantalizing, although she would not be perturbed if she's interrupted.

====
OOC: The duration of his absence will mostly be this, exploring the tower a bit more, and maybe taking a trip down to see if That Guy Whose Name I Can't Remember will talk with her.

Sorry about the longer-than-expected delays in posting. I've been laid up sick off and on the last week or so. Calling doc tomorrow.

Bhu
2010-06-14, 12:07 AM
Guess I'll try chatting with Caspar.

"So you were an undertaker. Seems an odd profession for you."

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 03:42 AM
OOC, VTWhen Saith contacted DB, was that through his own talents, or was it by some means that others can use? More generally, if I'm off hunting is there any way anyone can contact me?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-14, 08:51 AM
"I see nothing odd in it, sir." Caspar replies sternly. "Death is the single constant. How we treat our dead out of the respect we gave them in life raises us above the animals. To retain their memory, to keep a little of their soul with ours. When you come to be my age you will see how we live more with death than life. That is why I stay. If that mad, wonderful man can keep more lives, it would make meaningful our own."

OOC
Ok, heard back from Akal Saris, he should be posting by tonight or tomorrow.

@Serpentine
He never did explain it to you. He just called and you heard. You suspect there could have been a device in his ring, like how he calls down the skyship, but for you.

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 10:30 AM
DB-16 gathers its gear. Before it leaves, it informs everyone that it is travelling to the north, near a clearing with a spring and a rock in it in case anyone needs it, though anyone who wants to is welcome to join it.

Bhu
2010-06-14, 11:22 PM
to Caspar

"I meant no offense. It's just that usually I don't see many men of your age or intelligence digging graves where I come from."

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-14, 11:48 PM
"I may have dug, but it was the preparations for burial that was my work. Not a pleasant task in the familiars, but I was never one for popularity. It was respectable though, and put food on the table for my family." he replies without rancor. Stiff and guarded just seems to be his way.

Strategos
2010-06-15, 09:34 PM
Alicia will explore the tower to familiarize herself with it's layout. She'll also be on the lookout for a quiet place where she can train.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-15, 10:27 PM
OOC: Everyone cool with fast-forwarding to this evening? If so, let me know where you'd likely be around sunset.

Serpentine
2010-06-16, 03:40 AM
OOC: DB-16 will keep hunting (in the clearing to the north with the stream and the rock) until it either gets a whole lot of prey, especially pheasant, or until after dark when it will suddenly occur to it that perhaps it should be at home with the others at night.

Strategos
2010-06-16, 08:23 AM
((OoC: Alicia would in the observatory. Saith seemed to use it as a meeting room, so she thinks that some of the others will show up there sooner or later. Secondly it's where Saith took off from. If anything traces him back here she figures that it's the likely place for it to show up. She was called here to make sure nothing came back and she's going to do her duty.))

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-16, 08:37 AM
DB-16

It takes you three hours to locate sign of a pheasant amidst the grasses and two more to track it down. The pheasant is stubborn in its hiding. but eventually you manage to flush it out.

The wind is wrong for the shot, and you succeed in winging it, but not bringing it down, and it tumbles into the thick scrub some 60 feet away. Unable to fly, but not wounded in the leg or body, it takes off through the underbrush. It's nearly 7 in the evening before you finally manage to bring it down and return to the tower.

Bhu
2010-06-16, 11:46 AM
ooc: Probably wandering around if there's nothing better to do and Saith isn't due back.

Syka
2010-06-16, 12:10 PM
OOC: Maybe talking with someone over dinner or some such. Barring that and (I'm guessing she'd be done with the studying), observatory sounds like a nice place to be.

Also...may not be posting this weekend. Final tomorrow night, picking up my sister (a 6 hour round trip) from college, then I work Saturday night AND Sunday morning. :smallsigh: Schedule looks a bit better after that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-16, 06:28 PM
DB16
Are you Serpentine?

You return and begin plucking the bird, when a voice fills your head. It is Saith's voice for certain, but it is a dead, hopeless voice that says

~ Deebee, I was horribly wrong. About everything. Burn my books. Kill the others. Then yourself. Death's preferable to this knowledge. None must repeat my experiments!~

Then there is only silence.

OOC
You should be back in time for things to pick up then.

Serpentine
2010-06-17, 12:50 AM
OOC:
DB-16

It takes you three hours to locate sign of a pheasant amidst the grasses and two more to track it down. The pheasant is stubborn in its hiding. but eventually you manage to flush it out.

The wind is wrong for the shot, and you succeed in winging it, but not bringing it down, and it tumbles into the thick scrub some 60 feet away. Unable to fly, but not wounded in the leg or body, it takes off through the underbrush. It's nearly 7 in the evening before you finally manage to bring it down and return to the tower.
Kewl. Though, for smaller and bird prey, it'd use the blunt arrows. Pheasants are big, though, so never mind.

DB16
Are you Serpentine?

You return and begin plucking the bird, when a voice fills your head. It is Saith's voice for certain, but it is a dead, hopeless voice that says

~ Deebee, I was horribly wrong. About everything. Burn my books. Kill the others. Then yourself. Death's preferable to this knowledge. None must repeat my experiments!~

Then there is only silence.

You mean on Facebook? Yep. Well, frick.
I can retcon this to be more rampagey if you like (could be fun :smallamused:), but I generally try to preserve party unity as much as possible.
After dark, DB-16 returns home with a freshly-killed pheasant. It looks at the people in the Observatory, then takes it to the kitchen. A moment later, it returns. It looks... odd.
It takes out an arrow and nocks it to its bow. It draws it, but keeps it aimed at the floor. It doesn't meet anyone's eyes.
"So. Uh... The Creator told me to destroy everything. Uh. Including us. It's gone wrong. Um..."
It looks awkwardly about, then raises its bow at Alicia.

Strategos
2010-06-17, 02:01 AM
Alicia is sitting down, lost in thought, when Deebee enters the room. She hardly notices it as it leaves and comes back until it starts talking. "Wait, what?" She looks up at the contraption and sees an arrow aimed in her direction. She takes a deep breath. "Deebee, did Saith say what went wrong? or why he wants you to destroy 'everything'?" She calmly asks.

((OoC)):

Alicia doesn't want to resort to fighting Deebee, but she's readying herself just in case. So, I guess I'll roll for stuff now, trying out the forum roller this time:
Initiative
[roll0]
Manoeuvres - 1 being the top of the list 5 being the bottom
[roll1]
[roll2]
Backup Manoeuvres In case I roll doubles above
[roll3]
[roll4]
Well, I called it. That gives me Douse the Flames and Leading the Attack as my Granted Manoeuvres.

Serpentine
2010-06-17, 02:13 AM
It doesn't move the bow, but it doesn't seem to be in any rush to fire, either.
"The Creator said, he was wrong about everything; Burn his books; Kill the others, then myself. He also said, "Death's preferable to this knowledge. None must repeat my experiments"."
For those last two sentences, DB-16 changed its voice in an attempt to mimic Saith's. It is flat and dead-sounding.
"So, that's what he said to do..." It prepares to fire, but not as quickly as it could (or it already would've).

Bhu
2010-06-17, 01:45 PM
ooc: Am I around for this?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-17, 01:47 PM
ooc: Am I around for this?
If you're 'wandering' up near the tower, you could be :smallwink:

Bhu
2010-06-17, 09:43 PM
"I uh...I couldn't help but overhear...but did you see your master DB? Have you anyway of verifying it was him speaking and not some sort of trick?"

"Please also keep in mind if you kill them their undead souls will force me to come for you."

Serpentine
2010-06-18, 12:13 AM
OOC: I've pretty much been assuming there's at least 3 people in the Observatory.

DB-16 relaxes its arms slightly. It seems happy enough to keep talking.
"He talked to me like he did when you first arrived. It was his voice. He said to destroy myself as well - I do not believe you or your souls can do any worse."
It lowers its bow a little.
"I do not wish to destroy myself..."
It raises and draws it again, pointed at Alicia with a touch more determination than before.
"But he is my Creator! He made me, and taught me everything I know. He knows best."
"...doesn't he?"

Strategos
2010-06-18, 07:49 AM
"Saith is truly a wise man Deebee, wise enough to know that he does not know all. " Alicia says, not taking her eyes off the arrow. "That's why he went to the Sages for they're advice and they warned him of a danger that would follow him back. She frowns. "If you were to kill all of us there would be nothing left to stop the danger from spreading, which is the last thing he'd want right?" She smiles again. "So please, Deebee put down the bow, then we can start preparing the danger that he warned us of."

Serpentine
2010-06-18, 09:05 AM
DB-16 thinks it over for several seconds, never moving its bow away.
"Well... He didn't say I had to destroy everything now. I can always do it later." It nods to itself with satisfaction. It starts to relax its bow, then pauses, looking over Alicia's shoulder. It smiles slightly, then raises its bow and fires in one swift, smooth motion.

VTJust for fun :smallbiggrin: It's aiming at something behind and a little to the side of her, a decoration on the wall or a plate or somesuch. Here's hoping for no natural 1 :smalleek:
[roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-18, 10:01 AM
Jessamine starts murmuring a spell, and her eyes widen at the construct's sudden movement.

The arrow hits one of several jugs of clear glass. As it shatters, a small whirlwind blows out from it and dissipates in seconds.

You destroyed a Bottle of Air. Congrats :smalltongue: 1 XP.

Serpentine
2010-06-18, 10:11 AM
OOC: Swoot.

DB-16 smiles a little wider, then looks around.
"So. Preparing?"
It walks over to its arrow and retrieves it if it's still usable, then looks around the room for the best place to position itself.

ooc: In particular, looking for somewhere I can put my back, with some degree of shelter and/or security, and a good view of the whole room, but also room to move if it fails as a good spot. Am I hoping for too much? If there's nothing satisfactory, it may tip over a table to make one.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-18, 10:24 AM
OOC: There are two book cases with enough room between them to stand some 20 feet away.

Serpentine
2010-06-18, 10:35 AM
ooc: What about my arrow? Them things is expensive! By the way, how do you handle +X arrows and +Y bow?

DB-16 spots a likely corner. It grabs one of the tables and puts it on its side in front of it to make a make-shift fort.

ooc: not closing itself in completely, leaving enough room to crouch down and to move in and out.

Bhu
2010-06-18, 05:53 PM
OOC: I've pretty much been assuming there's at least 3 people in the Observatory.

DB-16 relaxes its arms slightly. It seems happy enough to keep talking.
"He talked to me like he did when you first arrived. It was his voice. He said to destroy myself as well - I do not believe you or your souls can do any worse."
It lowers its bow a little.
"I do not wish to destroy myself..."
It raises and draws it again, pointed at Alicia with a touch more determination than before.
"But he is my Creator! He made me, and taught me everything I know. He knows best."
"...doesn't he?"

"There are worse things than death DB. I should know I've had them done to me."

smiles toothily

"Now it's true you heard a voice that sounded like your masters. But I've known plenty of apprentice mages that could mimic the voices of others. Whose to say the dangers the Sages warned your Master of haven't done the same? Do you have any idea of what the range is for his ability to communicate with you? In short what I'm asking is besides your belief it's him because the voice sounds the same, do you have any proof it's really him and not someone looking to destroy his life's work?"

Serpentine
2010-06-18, 11:47 PM
"It was the Creator's voice. I do not know how he contacted me. It may have been through his ring. It was as much him as any other time he has talked to him."

Bhu
2010-06-19, 02:50 AM
"I know it was his voice, but was it actually him? Without him being here you can't be sure someone isn't fooling your senses. And since we've no idea what lies up there, we have no idea if it's really him even if he comes back."

Serpentine
2010-06-19, 03:18 AM
OOC: gotta change a bit of the previous post.
edit: Done. Do you want to change anything?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-19, 09:43 AM
"Come quickly!" a strange, feminine voice shouts.

A nude, ghostly figure rushes up the stairwell set in the tower floor. It is formed like that of a shapely, petite woman, but the flesh is almost entirely transparent, except for the suggestion of flowing fluids and odd refraction of the sunlight that hits it. It has no eyes, and a head full of shimmering, silver hair. Some of these are thicker, whisker-like; twitching and feeling at the air.

"I think Titimear is hurt!"

Bhu
2010-06-19, 01:48 PM
Looks at the others "Who is Titimear?"

Serpentine
2010-06-19, 10:03 PM
DB-16 is about to respond to [Bhu's character] with some annoyance when she comes in. It jerks up at her words.
"The waterfall guardian!"
It drops what it was doing and strides down the stairs readying its bow.

Bhu
2010-06-20, 12:36 AM
I guess I'll follow DB. I'll have the sword out and ready of course.

Akal Saris
2010-06-20, 01:24 AM
Cildur looked at the water sprite with disbelief. Who was this woman, and what had he missed since the previous day?

After his discussion with Saith, he had taken as many books of lore that might have dealt with the diaspora of his people and sealed himself in his room with the books. Saith's tomes were fascinating, but soon Cildur felt his eyelids drooping.

During his long centuries of servitude he couldn't remember ever truly sleeping, since the voices constantly roused him to work in a strange half-slumber. Yet in the tower he slept the sleep of the dead, even blissfully ignoring the old man's strange actions during the middle of the night, and even sleeping through Saith's launch.

Upon awaking, Cildur took the time to draw his seals. He didn't yet trust those others and while he believe Saith had been honest or tricking himself about the lack of threats, Cildur didn't believe in taking chances. He scrawled a rough summoning circle onto the stone floor, calling one of his oldest servants. Long before he had the folly to summon Father Lymic, Cildur had mastered lesser beings, and now he brought the shadow of one such creature out of the void.

All great lords have their own Seanachie, a chronicler of deeds and tales. Kaberon, the Grinning Hound of Ulster, was one such beast for a lord that even Cildur did not yet know. He appeared as a shaggy, wolf-like dog with a tail of three entwined snakes, hissing under his gravelly voice. Despite his terrible appearance, however, Kaberon was unusually amicable for a beast of the netherworld. Sensing an opportunity, Cildur quickly made his usual pact: a days' service in return for the opportunity to share his senses for a day. That work concluded, Cildur cleaned up the seal and studied his books before opening the door - only to see the strange water sprite!

"Lead on then," he said brusquely to the sprite, summoning a spell of protection for himself as he followed her. Evidently foes were already attempting to interfere with the tinker's plans.

OOC:
+8 Base to check, +5 from Chosen of Evil, -5 from Exploit Vestige, for 16+8 = Binding Check of 24: Success! Bound the hound, losing his 'trained skills' ability for an extra spell slot. I guess that gives away my character class as well :smallbiggrin: Also casts Mage Armor: Duration 6 hours.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2570760/

Strategos
2010-06-20, 05:33 AM
Alicia grabs her backpack and guisarme and follows the others downstairs. "This doesn't sound good at all, I hope it's nothing too bad but... "

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 06:02 AM
DB-16 looks sideways at Alicia as they go.
"As opposed to having the strange contraption built by the person who brought you here as a friend draw its weapon upon you while informing you that its Creator's dangerous experiment has gone awry in such a manner that requires your execution?"

Strategos
2010-06-20, 07:48 AM
"Yes that was a bit worrisome, I'll admit." Alicia says, giving a wry smile. "Although, it has been foretold that we will face some sort of danger upon your master's return, Saith hasn't come back yet so it simply wasn't our time to die."

"Besides, if you'd really wanted to kill us you wouldn't have made your presence known. You're a good hunter Deebee, I doubt we would have noticed you if you hadn't of wanted us to."

She frowns, "Something's injured Titimear, it can't have been an accident; he knows all that happens around the tower after all. So we're dealing with something which is almost certainly hostile that's is strong enough to hurt the Guardian. I just hope we make it in time to help him."

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 08:26 AM
ooc: I find it :smallamused: and a touch :smalleek: that everyone refers to Saith as my "master", when I have never once referred to him so :smallamused: Don't change anything, it's just... interesting.

DB-16 seems about to say something at the second comment, but instead just nods. At the last, it just frowns. It reaches back to touch the ends of its arrows, then readies its bow.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 08:34 AM
You all rush down stairs and through corridors until you stand in the long hallway cut across the face of the bluff. The transparent nymph runs over to the end where it passes beneath the waterfall and says, "He... was here. Titimear? TITIMEAR?"

Her whiskers reach out and stroke the water and then the stone. She leans over the stone railing and beckons the others.

"Can anyone see him? I can't sense to the bottom like you sun-lookers do."

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 08:39 AM
OOC: Should've done this before... Do I know her?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 08:44 AM
OOC: Should've done this before... Do I know her?
You think you've seen her once or twice with Titimear in the falls... but their actions didn't seem to be that which invited observation. You remember Saith referring to Titimear's wife as the 'Crystal Woman'.

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 08:49 AM
OOC: You'll tell me if I'm being overbearing, right?

DB-16 leaps to the rail and peers down, searching the mist.

VTSpot [roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 08:56 AM
DB16 leaps onto the water-slick surface (4 foot high, 11 inches wide)... and fails horribly to keep its balance. Its feet skid right out from beneath it and it drops like a stone into the mists below.

Well that was... interesting :smalleek:
Balance = [roll0]

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 09:09 AM
DB16 Only

You take 3 non-lethal and 3 lethal from the fall and you sink like the metal object you are. You try to move, but the pounding water pins you to the bottom (also rolled a 1 on your strength check. Can make a new check each round to free yourself).

Something strikes you and you feel a puncture in your structure (8 damage). The swirling water and grit however doesn't allow you to see what it is though.

Please note this on your character sheet.

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 09:25 AM
I did what now? :eek:

I didn't realise there was a ledge to jump onto... Oh well, failure can be fun :smalltongue:
If there's a space between the waterfall and the cliff face, I'll try to swim there. If it's close against it I'll try to get to the other side of the fall. I presume you want to keep making the rolls?
Good thing I don't breathe :smalleek:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 09:37 AM
I did what now? :eek:

I didn't realise there was a ledge to jump onto... Oh well, failure can be fun :smalltongue:
OK, you have the bluff. A tunnel/hallway has been cut along it's side, looking to have widened an already existing crack. The floor was just cut so that the lip of the original crack rises four feet. That is the 'railing'.

Sort of like this
http://www.whatsthelatest.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/WorldsMostDangerousRoads_14789/dangerousroadGuoliangTunnelRoad.jpg

If there's a space between the waterfall and the cliff face, I'll try to swim there. If it's close against it I'll try to get to the other side of the fall. I presume you want to keep making the rolls?
Yeah, I'll roll each round... and hope to get something better than a 1!

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 10:12 AM
First of all, that second picture looks really cool. Secondly, I see. I was imagining an actual rail, over which I would lean to look over the edge. Never mind.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 10:22 AM
Secondly, I see. I was imagining an actual rail, over which I would lean to look over the edge. Never mind.
When you 'leaped to the rail' I thought you meant you hopped 'onto' it?

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 10:30 AM
I thought it'd be at chest height. Think the railing on a bridge or a lookout. So he'd be leaning on and over it. But don't worry, I'll just try to keep miscommunication in mind

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 12:20 PM
If that wasn't your intended action I have no problem redoing events, especially since no one else has posted

Bhu
2010-06-20, 06:05 PM
"Are you okay down there? What the hell was that?"

Strategos
2010-06-20, 06:21 PM
ooc: I find it :smallamused: and a touch :smalleek: that everyone refers to Saith as my "master", when I have never once referred to him so :smallamused: Don't change anything, it's just... interesting.

((OoC:)) Well, calling Saith 'creator' didn't really sound right to me. In any case I was thinking more along the lines of 'master and apprentice' master. Deebee respects him a great deal and was taught everything it knows from it so it seemed right to me. ((/OoC:))

"Deebee!" Alicia runs over to the railing. She pauses briefly to unjam something from one of her pouches, a torch that produces light but not heat. "Deebee, are you alright?" She yells, while scanning the area below for any sign of the contraption or the guardian.

((OoC:))I'm assuming it's pretty dark in here, am i right? Also, how far does it look like DB fell?
Rolling spot check to see DB-16, Titimear and anything else down there:
Spot [roll0] ((/OoC))

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-20, 06:52 PM
Surprise Round
http://i45.tinypic.com/24pi9h4.jpg

As you both rush over the crystal woman steps to the side. She wrings her hands fretfully, but as Alicia leans over to look the crystal woman jumps forward and shoves the warrior woman hard.

Alicia is taken by complete surprise and tumbles end over end into the mist-shrouded bottom.

-=-=-=-=-

OOC
We are now entering rounds. Everyone post your initiative, actions and location. If the actions aren't feasible with the other's actions, I'll ask you to edit your post.

The hallway is still lit by the setting sun, giving plenty of light. The hallway is two squares wide, and 6 squares long.

Opposed strength checks for bull rush

Crystal Woman's[roll0]
Alicia's [roll1]

Bhu
2010-06-20, 09:23 PM
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2571828/
Initiative 9

On my turn my Dark Companion approached the Crystal Woman giving her a -2 untyped Penalty to Saves and AC (no save against this). I will attempt to Curse her as a Swift Action (Save DC 20), and if she fails she gets a -3 untyped penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks for 1 hour.[

If possible I will Charge using my Dreadful Wrath Feat (DC 17 willpower Save or be Shaken 1 minute). If not I will make a normal attack after closing. If I can't attack because she isn't in reach or someone else is blocking I'll cast Protection from Evil.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2571841/ Attack roll of 30
critical confirmation roll is 25 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2571842/

I'll be using the scimitar if I can get melee. or the meteoric knife at range if i cant. If using the meteoric knife Ill be expending the days charges to use it full power. If the curse succeeds I'll be using my Hexbands to increase the damage if i hit. Lemme know if i need to do damage rolls.

Serpentine
2010-06-20, 11:13 PM
If that wasn't your intended action I have no problem redoing events, especially since no one else has postedToo late :smalltongue: But really, I don't mind.I'll just imagine I slipped on a puddle and tripped over the ledge.
Should our actions be spoilered?

At her call, DB-16 shouts back "I am injured but okay." When it hears her surprised gasp it lunges forward (as safely as possible) to either catch her or to grab her when she lands.
This did not happen.

Rolls & Actions Initiative: [roll0]
To catch or grab, Reflex: [roll1] or Dexterity: [roll2] or Strength [roll3]
- to clarify, if I'm able I'll try to reach out and catch her before she hits the water. If I can't get there in time, or I can't do so safely, I will try to reach in and pull her to me.
Once that's done, one way or another, I'll search around (safely) for whatever it is that stabbed me. Search: [roll4] or Spot: [roll5]
If I find it: If it's an object I'll grab it; if it's a hostile creature I'll attack it; if it's Tirimear I'll try to get him to safety.
If I don't find it: First of all, you said "you have the bluff" and then "a tunnel/hallway has been cut along its side". Is that referring to where I am, or explaining the other hallway? If there's a cave-type thing there, and it looks like it might be a way back up again, I'll pull Alicia into it and start moving up. I'll also press my repair button as I go. If there isn't, I'll look for a safe way to get to dry land.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-21, 08:54 AM
OOC
Listen checks are currently at a -10 penalty due to the waterfall. For OOC questions lets restrict them to the OOC thread so we don't fill the gaming thread.

@Bhu
For ease of looking, put your OOC actions in spoilers, and your IC actions as it would look to everyone else.

@Serpentine
Deebee is at the bottom of a river, held down by a roaring waterfall. You can't hear her. Nor can you answer.
Strength check = [roll0]

DB manages to push away from the falls but can still see nor hear anything underwater.

@Strategos
You take [roll1] non-lethal and [roll2] falling lethal. Please note this on your sheet.

You splash into the water, passing by sharp rocks, 10% chance of hitting them [roll3] and miss.

The water from above then presses you down. Strength check = [roll4]
You manage to fight against it however, but a strong pair of hands grip you.

@DB16 and Alicia
DB16 and Alicia roll separate initiative from the others.

Serpentine
2010-06-21, 09:05 AM
Eywot? Ah, I've obviously misunderstood you again. So I didn't make it before. Bummer. I'm still underwater? First thing, when I'm in clearer water, is get to the surface and look around to assess the situation insomuch as I am able. Is the initiative I've already rolled good enough?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-21, 04:37 PM
Battle Grid
http://i45.tinypic.com/24pi9h4.jpg

@Serpentine

Eywot? Ah, I've obviously misunderstood you again. So I didn't make it before. Bummer. I'm still underwater? First thing, when I'm in clearer water, is get to the surface and look around to assess the situation insomuch as I am able. Is the initiative I've already rolled good enough?
That's fine.

Syka
2010-06-21, 06:30 PM
Jessamine

After the incident with DB in the observatory, and now with the (apparent) water sprite, whom she'd assumed prior to this was Titimear's wife, pushing Alicia off, Jessamine is standing agast (in F3).

"I may...Oh god, what is it...I know what she is, I just need to remember..."

Initiative: 1d20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2573489/)+2=19
Knowledge check:4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2573491/)+13=17.

:*( Can I switch those? Pleeeease? Or, if the rolls I messed up the first time around and couldn't understand how to read them...if you can figure out what I did wrong, could you figure out if they're better?

Strategos
2010-06-21, 07:10 PM
VT

Alicia sputters around in the water after she lands. When she feels something grab her leg she tries to see what it is.

Thanks to my damage reduction I get to ignore the falling damage. :smallbiggrin:

Initiative [roll0]
Manuevers Granted [roll1] [roll2]
Re-rolls in case of doubles [roll3] [roll4]

That gives me Crusader's Strike and Leading the Attack.

Serpentine
2010-06-22, 02:45 AM
ooc: In case anyone's been polite and not looked in spoilers, DB-16 did not call out, and did not lunge forward. Aka
*Splash sploosh struggle*

Akal Saris
2010-06-22, 06:37 PM
Seeing the young mercenary charge towards the woman, Cildur made up his mind and called upon the conduit of power that tied him to Father Lymic, borrowing a fraction of his power. He quickly tried to remember what he knew of the woman's species, though natural creatures were not his specialty.

Like the young, pupil-less mercenary, Cildur was adept at curses, and he spat one of his own at the woman: a vile blend of magic and hate that was designed to fool the victim into believing that the spell had ripped a hole in her belly, sending her guts spilling out. The horror usually sent the victim into a brief coma, physically unharmed but quite unnerved.

OOC: (Nothing secret, just keeping it out of the way)

Active buffs: Naberius vestige, Mage Armor
Initiative: 23. If I beat Bhu, I'll delay until immediately after his round.
Listen check: -1! (Useless!) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2575112/)
AC: 16 -_-
Actions:
Immediate: Chosen of Evil (Init) +5, -1 Con
Free: Knowledge check to identify any special knowledge about the woman: 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2575098/)
Free: Dark Speech: Dark Power (Next 'evil' spell is +1 to CL, -3 Cha)
Standard: Cast "Curse of the Putrid Husk" on the Crystal Woman, CL 7. DC 21 Will, Woman has -2 to save from Dark Companion, possibly -4 if shaken, or -5 if failed save against Bhu's curse, or -7 to save if failed both. Success: No effect. Failure: Dazed next round, then unconscious for 1d10 minutes. Source: BoVD 89. Other notes: [Fear, Mind-Affecting, Illusion, Evil, SR: Yes]
Special: If my knowledge check reveals that she would be immune to the spell, I'll cast something else, depending on the immunity.
Free: Heal 1 Cha, 1 Con. -2 Cha remaining (Naberius)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-23, 04:59 PM
Hallway
Round 1
http://i45.tinypic.com/crkn.jpg

Cildur is first to react to the hostile actions of the strange being. He begins preparations but seems to hesitate as Storm Crow reacts.

In the meantime Jessamine's expression turns from thoughtful to frustrated. She begins to chant and make grabbing motions.

Caspar, with shocking speed whirls around Storm Crow and grasps at the woman. However, the slippery surface about her makes him momentarily skid, and he grabs nothing but air.

The crystal woman whirls around in a crouch at Caspar, her whiskers extending to twitch in his direction. She suddenly leaps backwards directly into the tumbling waters.

Cildur, seeing Storm Crow is going to be too late, fires off his spell, but feels it slide right off the woman.

The crystal woman, unaffected, is engulfed by the falls.

In the meantime DB16 pulls itself up out of the edges of the turbulent pool, not but a few paces from the trail leading up to the stairwell.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

OOC
Still in rounds and wow did those rolls suck.

Initiative
Cildur
Jessamine
DB16
Caspar
Crystal Woman
Storm Crow

Alicia

Round 1
(27 rounds worth of air)

You can't see a thing in the turbulent, bubbling waters. The hand feels humanoid however, and strong as iron. It reaches up and hooks an arm around your throat. You are shoved to the bottom of the pool and unable to move.

OOC
You have been grappled and pinned. You are renedered immobile and make take mental actions only this round.

Serpentine
2010-06-23, 08:12 PM
oocWooooo! Made it!

ICDB-16 will shake the water from its bow, ready it again, and scan the pool and the waterfall. It's trying to check where the others are, generally assess the situation and, as it was originally looking for the waterfall guardian and doesn't know what happened subsequently, it is looking for any sign of him.
Spot check/s?
[roll0]

Strategos
2010-06-23, 10:21 PM
VT
Alicia grimaced as she was held against the pool's bottom. She wasn't used to dealing with foes this close up, wrestling had never struck her as important until now and she had little knowledge of what to do in this situation. She recalled a trick that Miranda had shown her, she'd always been looking for new ways to use the power they'd both shared. She called forth the power that flowed within her, a dark purple aura surrounded her before she released it, sending forth a burst of destructive energy.

OoC: Alicia will activate her Negative Energy Burst, dealing [roll0] damage Will save DC 15 for half. She gets a new granted manuever 1 - Stone Bones, 2 - Vanguard Strike, 3 - Douse the Flames. [roll1]

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-24, 10:14 AM
Alicia

Round 2
(26 rounds of air)

You feel your opponent's grip tense in agony at your burst of unnatural energy. Its grip then loosens for a moment but then it grips you even more tightly, and though you try to struggle against it, it draws your own knife.

You vaguely can make out a second figure join the first. You feel a new touch, cold and clammy, join the first, but you manage to kick it away.

@Serpentine
You can see all your comrades still within the hallway some 50 feet above except for Alicia. Peering into the water you also see no sign of what tore the gaping hole in your structure.

Serpentine
2010-06-24, 10:51 AM
No sign of Alicia or the sprite thing?

DB-16 waves for the attention of the others. "Ho! I can't see Titimear! And where's his mate gone?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-24, 10:56 AM
OOC
None, but then the water is kind of frothy and turned up. It's a large waterfall falling a couple hundred feet.

Bhu
2010-06-24, 11:40 AM
If there's a way down to the water that's safe I'm heading that way at full speed keeping an eye out for enemies and fallen party members

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2577697/ spot roll

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-24, 10:04 PM
Storm Crow hurries down the stairs, and finds a dripping wet DB16 standing beside the misty pool of the falls. He looks about the water but sees nothing else out of the ordinary.

Strategos
2010-06-25, 12:23 AM
VT
((OoC)): If I'm reading you rightly Alicia isn't pinned this round right?

Can I use Alicia's Charnel Touch in a grapple? If she can she gets a 6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2578571/) to hit my opponent's touch AC. :smallsigh: If, by some miracle, that hits it deals 8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2578580/) damage.

If she can't use Charnel Touch or if she is pinned and I'm reading it wrong she'll try and eascape the grapple with a roll of 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2578583/) ((/OoC))

IC: The presence of a second attacker worries Alicia. She needs to deal with the first one fast. Emboldened by the success of her initial attack she summons forth the energy once again, channeling it through her left hand and tries to strike her opponent with it.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:05 AM
DB-16 calls for Titimear.
"Titimear! Where are you? Titimear!"
It touches its chest, and some of the dints in its body and a puncture in its leg start to repair.

Talking is a Free Action, so I'll keep calling whenever. The healing will happen on my turn, whenever that is, I presume.
Repair Light Damage: [roll0] - assumes that the "per level" is my own.

Serpentine
2010-06-25, 01:08 AM
Sorry 'bout the double post, thought of another roll I'd be doing and apparently it doesn't work.
It's also actively searching around for him while it's calling. Spot: [roll0]