PDA

View Full Version : [4e] No Conditional Bonuses Optimization

Thajocoth
2010-05-18, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone! I'm making a spare character for a campaign I'm in. Right now we're level 21, but I'm planning him further, as he would be joining when/if my current character dies. (I don't raise my characters.)

My main goal for this character is not to have too much to remember. Conditional bonuses are things I am going to forget 90% of the times I can use them...

Houserule: Everyone gets one expertise feat for free.

The Party:
Dragonborn Fighter - He's got a lot of close bursts, like Vorpal Tornado, a lot of ways to spend his own surges, stances that hurt adjacent enemies, Str/Con build, with a few feats in his dragonbreath (plus several ways to use his breath multiple times per battle)

Dragonborn Warlord - Str/Int build, with a whip and shield. He mostly gives his actions to other party members. His at-wills, I believe are "You, make a melee basic" and "You, make a ranged basic". He adds to attack and damage for action points. Not a whole lot of saving throw granting...

Elf Ranger - Pure crossbow reliance. He's got Shimmering Cloth Armor (I keep telling him he should get Shadowdancer Leather...) He tends to pick a spot on the battlefield and stay there (bonuses for not moving). His turns are fast, and he does not ever deal less than 100 damage on his turn.

Changeling Psion - Dominate, Betrayal, Deals full damage to insubstantial enemies... Not very many bursts/blasts

Wilden Druid (Me currently, so this character would have to die for the new character I'm building here to appear) - Swarm Druid, so I decrease melee/ranged damage dealt to me in beast form by my con mod (7). I can also gain an extra resist 7 for an encounter 1/day. My character's got a lot of close bursts and close blasts, and is very mobile. (Speed 9 right now in beast form, will go up.) I grant nearby allies +2 to all saves, I'm large in beast form, my melee basic also immobilizes the target. I never leave beast form unless I absolutely have to. I've also got the best perception and dungeoneering skills. I'm somewhere between all 4 roles, not quite in any of them.

So the party's a bit on the optimized side.

-----

New character thus far (full build):

Builder version at 30 with optimal gear:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Melgar, level 30
Bugbear, Fighter, Shock Trooper, Eternal Defender
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Background: Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 30, Con 13, Dex 24, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 45 Fort: 45 Reflex: 40 Will: 32
HP: 217 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 54

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +20, Intimidate +26, Athletics +29, Acrobatics +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, History +15, Insight +22, Nature +16, Perception +22, Religion +15, Stealth +23, Streetwise +16, Thievery +21

FEATS
Level 1: Nimble Blade
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Blade Opportunist
Level 6: Agile Superiority
Level 8: Combat Reflexes
Level 10: Mark of Warding
Level 11: Agile Tempest
Level 12: Striking Resurgence
Level 14: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 16: Deft Blade
Level 18: Two-Weapon Threat
Level 20: Toughness
Level 21: Dual Challenge
Level 22: Mobile Warrior
Level 24: Long Step
Level 26: Martial Mastery
Level 28: Durable
Level 30: Monastic Disciple
Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Reaping Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
Monastic Disciple: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Fighter encounter 1: Funneling Flurry
Fighter daily 1: Ruinous Assault
Fighter utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Slash
Fighter daily 5: Dervish's Challenge
Fighter utility 6: Third Wind
Fighter encounter 7: Opportunist's Rend
Fighter daily 9: Punishing Storm
Fighter utility 10: Mighty Surge
Fighter encounter 13: Hilt Smash (replaces Funneling Flurry)
Fighter daily 15: Masterful Parry (replaces Ruinous Assault)
Fighter utility 16: Tangle Up
Fighter encounter 17: Lunging Dervish (replaces Sweeping Slash)
Fighter daily 19: Adaptable Maneuver (replaces Dervish's Challenge)
Fighter utility 22: No Surrender
Fighter encounter 23: Weaponmaster's Lure (replaces Opportunist's Rend)
Fighter daily 25: Impaling Knockdown (replaces Punishing Storm)
Fighter encounter 27: Stabbing Torrent (replaces Hilt Smash)
Fighter daily 29: Force the Battle (replaces Masterful Parry)

ITEMS
Magic Dagger (Huge) +1, Rhythm Blade Short sword (Huge) +6, Hestavar Dueling Blade Short sword (Huge) +6, Elderhide Armor of Enduring Health +6, Periapt of Wound Closure +6, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Crowbar, Footpads, Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Airstriders (epic tier), Great Hero's Gauntlets (epic tier), Ioun Stone of True Sight (epic tier), Pierced Heart Tattoo (epic tier), Belt of Vitality (epic tier), Nullifying Ring (epic tier), Ring of the Phoenix (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Melgar, the Bugbear Tempest Fighter Shock Trooper Eternal Defender

If used before level 24, Melgar would wield 2 Large Short Swords, with a [W] size of 1d10. At 24, this becomes 2 Huge Short Swords with a [W] size of 1d12. The dagger is for ranged attacks if I ever need to make any. Also, at 24, the character grows in size from 7'2" to 14'4" (but is still technically medium sized).

Due to various combinations of class features and feats, the following occurs:
Melgar's Offhand weapons (which short swords are) have increased 3 dies sizes. (Once each from race, paragon path and epic destiny). I'm aware this increases average damage by only 3 per [W].

He adds Dex+5 to Opportunity Attacks, +3 to their damage, and may choose to target Reflex. His Combat Challenge attacks can also target Reflex, and gain a +2 bonus.

He can use his Second Wind twice per encounter, and make an attack instead of gaining a defense bonus. This attack may target Reflex.

He has many ways of avoiding unconsciousness from hit point loss by gaining hp when he reaches 0. (At least 5 ways, I think...)

After every attack he makes, he can shift 2.

Combat advantage gives him +3 to hit instead of +2 and once per round, +Dex mod damage. It also allows him to use his racial power.

The only part that goes directly against the character's design goal is the combat advantage damage bonus. Everything else is either a direct bonus to attack, damage or defense, or effects a specific power or ability (like Second Wind), every time I use that power or ability.

Keeping the design goal in mind, are there any changes you would recommend?

EDIT: Powers that I would have earlier than 30 that wind up getting replaced after level 21:
23: Replaced Opportunist's Rend
25: Replaced Punishing Storm
27: Replaced Hilt Smash
29: Replaced Masterful Parry

The order of things up to level 21 doesn't matter so much, as that's the minimum level I could need the spare character at. This character could start anywhere between 21 and 30 though... So order can wind up mattering there.

Coidzor
2010-05-18, 02:47 PM
Hmm, with that shifting ability, some way to inflict daze on enemies, such that they can't move and attack you and you're positioned in such a way that they can't charge you and either can't charge your allies or can only charge any of your allies if they provoked your Combat Challenge(which would end their charge's movement if it connected)...

Seems like that'd be good.