PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption

Inhuman Bot
2010-05-18, 02:29 PM
It came out today!

Sadly, I won't be able to play it, so I come to anyone here who has played it: Is it worth buying, in your opinion?

For those who don't know, it's a sandbox shooter developed by Rockstar, set in the Wild West.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-18, 05:15 PM
I don't care, I'm getting this. Way too pumped + I love Westerns :smallcool:

The only question is if the main character can be as badass as Ray McCall (highly unlikely).

Shas aia Toriia
2010-05-18, 05:36 PM
It looks like GTA, but out west.

Not going to buy it. Looks like a fun game though.

The White Lyre
2010-05-18, 05:39 PM
Bought it simply because I like western settings, and GTA is relaxed enough for a casual gamer like me.

So far the main character seems to be an ex-outlaw with surprisingly good linguistic ability, sent to kill his former gang by the Feds. I've only played a few missions, but it's a nice mix between the previous Red Dead games and GTA.

EDIT: Worth buying? Not sure yet. I'll get back to you. :smallbiggrin:

SuperMuldoon
2010-05-19, 01:37 PM
Got it yesterday and played it all night. It's awesome so far - story missions are real fun, and just riding around doing wild west stuff is awesome too. I got eaten by a cougar.

Cleverdan22
2010-05-19, 02:10 PM
I don't have it yet, but it has been getting rave reviews, and I'm going to get it as soon as I can. It looks really in-depth, expansive, and generally fun. My friend left school early to get it yesterday, but it's the end of the year, he probably would have done that anyway.

Isak
2010-05-19, 03:43 PM
This game is NOT GTA with Horses. It's... So much better.

Take everything awesome about Grand Theft Auto. The open world, the ability to do anything you want. Completely open. Put it in a Western setting... And make it a thousand times more awesome.

Randomly getting attacked by Bandits... Getting EATEN by Cougars. Horses, guns, LASSOING PEOPLE AND DRAGGING THEM AROUND. I even shot a guy who was trying to force himself onto a saloon girl! How's that for awesomeness?

This game is just... Silly. I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet. Or even gotten that far into it... But I can safely say that you SHOULD buy this game. Right now.

Why are you still sitting here? GO!

Inhuman Bot
2010-05-19, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I hear from people with similar tastes that this game is pure awesome. I'd buy it, if not for HeroCore being both free and awesome.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-19, 03:52 PM
Game is so good.

The missions are great, but what really makes the game for me are the random things that can happen to you.

Like at one point I was riding around on my horse when all of a sudden this blur came from out of a bush and took my horse out from under me. As I was falling and hitting the floor, I went into deadeye (bullet time) and turned around in time to see the culprit, a courgar, gunning for my throat. Just enough time to put a bullet in his head.

I then skinned both of them and went on my merry way.

edit: Also shooting a guys hat off is both hilarious and awesome. And nets you some avatar (for the 360) unlock. Haven't checked on what it actually is, or if there are any other requirements to get it, but it happened.

DeafnotDumb
2010-05-19, 04:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to getting this game once I finish my exams, but until then I'm prowling around forums to see what people think of it.

The rpg.net forums had some pretty good tales about the game:

This game has had so many awesome moments so far, it's hard to pick just one. But if I were to choose....

I got into a duel with a guy outside a saloon - for the second or third time. I've always just shot his hand to let him live and run away, but this guy's apparently pretty persistent. He just won't get the hint.

So this time around, I shot his hand, and both his legs.

He then very slowly crawls away along the dusty main street, occasionally yelling out "I'll get ya... someday!", and "Oh lord, someone just shoot me already!", and I can only just shake my head at him in pity.

Then, suddenly, he got run over by a cart.

Welp... I reckon at least now he's in a better place. That sorry bastard was likely hopelessly insane to begin with anyhow; must've been a harsh existence, startin' duels he had no chance of winning.

I discovered that law enforcement really hates it when you accidentally lasso a lawman. And then accidentally hogtie him. And then accidentally pick him up and start accidentally carrying him around.

It was an honest mistake, guys! Why all the ruckus?

Lycan 01
2010-05-19, 09:32 PM
My 360 is toast, and I can't get a PS3 for awhile. Otherwise, this sucker would already be mine...

More stories please? :smallbiggrin:

Driderman
2010-05-20, 01:05 AM
Played it for a couple of hours and while the game seems great, I continuously fail at it.

Example 1: Some drunk is fighting a whore, trying to stab her with his knife. I figure I'd better not shoot people in town, so I run over and (accidentially) kick the whore in the head. She seems to dislike this.
Then I kick the drunks ass anyway and start to walk away. Then he shoots me dead from behind, yellow dog that he is.

Example 2: I'm riding out in the wild, minding my own business, when I come upon some marshalls chasing a criminal of some sorts. I misunderstand the situation and shoot 3 law-men dead before I realise they were the "good" guys... At least the outlaw said thanks.

Freylorn
2010-05-20, 01:09 AM
A random note that I thought was pretty funny - you can pull a full-blown Snidely Whiplash if you want to. Lasso and hogtie someone, and leave 'em on the railroad tracks.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-20, 02:03 AM
Just a side note, but anyone playing should consider switching to expert aiming mode. It removes the snap-to targeting thing. It makes the game feel a bit harder at first, but with a bit of practice you will forget all about snap-to and everything just becomes soooo much more satisfying.

I also find it easier when performing trick shots (hats, guns, and the like) as my reticle won't be influenced by anything but my input.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-20, 02:53 AM
Seeing as it's made by Rockstar, and I had this issue with the GTA games, I've got to ask:

Are the missions long and hard, and do they have save or retry points along thhe way - or do you have to start each one from scratch if you fail?

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-20, 04:59 AM
Seeing as it's made by Rockstar, and I had this issue with the GTA games, I've got to ask:

Are the missions long and hard, and do they have save or retry points along thhe way - or do you have to start each one from scratch if you fail?

There are mission checkpoints, for once :smallbiggrin:

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-20, 05:07 PM

Yes, thank god.

Also they changed the death system to something a bit more traditional. When you die it just loads the last save or check point (if in a mission), rather than having you revive at the doctors office with some missing cash, or whatever.

Jair Barik
2010-05-20, 05:24 PM
Sounds a bit like Call of Juarez.

Inhuman Bot
2010-05-20, 06:02 PM

Yes, it does. It's quite alot better, from what I gather.

Comet
2010-05-21, 04:27 PM

Yes, it's a western, with cowboys, sixguns and all the good stuff. That's pretty much where the similarities end, though, since the gameplay itself is pretty wildly different.

It's a genre I would really like to see more of in videogames, though. And Red Dead Redemption seems to be the best western-themed game ever made. That's pretty whoah, in my books.

Sadly, no PC release. Foiled again! I swear I'll get a next-gen console one day.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-22, 02:12 AM
Yes, it does. It's quite alot better, from what I gather.

Depending on what you want, that is :smallwink:

factotum
2010-05-22, 04:12 AM

Some of the longer missions in GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City have those, too, so it's not like this is a new thing. :smallsmile:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-05-22, 07:32 AM
Some of the longer missions in GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City have those, too, so it's not like this is a new thing. :smallsmile:

As someone who gave up on the game long before the DLC ... hmmm. Now that is interesting :smallsmile:

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-25, 04:34 AM
So I just beat it.

A tip: Game ain't over till you see the credits roll

Volthawk
2010-05-25, 11:42 AM
So I just beat it.

I haven't. Generally been wandering around, killing animals. I did lose progress though, but replayed it a different way. My first time I generally just killed random people out in the country and took their stuff.

Derthric
2010-05-25, 06:25 PM
So I just beat it.

That transition from John to Jack was great and I loved taking out vengence on Ross for what he did. But I did lose some interest in the ambient challenges, outfits, and such with Jack since I got so attached to John.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-05-25, 09:56 PM
That transition from John to Jack was great and I loved taking out vengence on Ross for what he did. But I did lose some interest in the ambient challenges, outfits, and such with Jack since I got so attached to John.

I think its kind of cool that they didn't hold your hand at that point. As a player, you should know that your next move is to kill Ross. That is just the cowboy thing to do. And I am glad that they gave us that.

I get serious chills when Jack turned back to the camera after killing the man, the screen went red and black, and in big bold letters "RED DEAD REDEMPTION"

And then playing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkAvVqjbUG8)

Really awesome.

On a side note, I feel like this game really handles music masterfully.